Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra 1500 vs. CHEVY Silverado 1500

Comments

• 2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    a friend of mine had a 2k truck with the vibration and was in the shop for 3 weeks while the service guys tried to figure it out. they replaced his tires, rotors and the rod that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder, seems it was 1/16" too long. he is happy now and says it drives like silk. we will see when his tires get some wear on them
  • valleyvolvalleyvol Member Posts: 6
    Well obyone, I also own a Lincoln Towncar so I know what a smooth ride is supposed to be like and my Silverado gives a comparable ride to the towncar. By smooth, I mean absolutely no vibration whatsoever in the steering wheel at any speed and when I lay my arm across the top of the door while driving I feel nothing. Sounds like your bad experience with your truck has soured you on silverados and I can understand that. But I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for two Fords.
  • dmdbitdmdbit Member Posts: 23
    Valleyvol,i've got a y2k 2wd ext. cab 4 door also that has no vibrations. in fact as you rest your arm on the door, i tend to rest my hand on the top of the steering wheel. like you no vibes.Also it was manuf.3-00 at ft wayne.

mike
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    hasn't been tainted. However, I also own a '00 Denali. And right now both are in the shop for warranty work leaving me driving a '00 Jimmy (POS) and a '00 Dodge Ram (POS). There is no vibrationless vehicle. Every vehicle vibrates at a certain resonance due to trans, wheels, tires, etc. This is a given fact. Whether you can feel the vibrations are subjective. Same as if what one person can see or hear but another cannot. We have hearing aids and contact lenses to adjust for that. However, no one has developed an [non-permissible content removed] device for vibrations. If you don't believe me, have the dealer hook up the EVA2 and you'd be surprised at the results.

My $.02
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    We have some sections of US 395 that have been ground (with grooves) resulting in a phenominally smooth surface. They'll probably cover it with something rough later. Oh, yea. The point. While I drive on these sections, I don't feel any of the tire imbalence, spring rebound, or other resonant anoyances that are caused on sections that have not been smoothed. These are cement pavement areas so the expansion joints add to the jounce.

Soo, what I am getting around to is that, yes, there are harmonic engine/drive train vibrations, but they are minimal compared to the "tingle" in my hands after driving my old BMW 2002 for a few hours. I really like my truck, I just don't like the effect of the harmonics of the un-smoothed expansion joints and the stiff springs under a mostly empty truck. 'Course, there is the point of it all... it is a truck. A Z71 K1500 at that.
    Ever consider wearing boxing gloves while driving? I wonder what the difference the Z71 package makes in the ride. I think it was Motor Trend that said, if you don't need it, don't get the Z71 package as they found the ride harsh when they evaluated the truck. Then again, many Z71 owners claim that they love the ride of their trucks...go figure.

Dean
    Didn't get the Z71 ride package with mine as I won't be doing any towing. Maybe the standard suspension package does contribute to a smoother ride.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I think my 2500 with the firm ride is the best for comfort and control...go figure..

and it's harder than a Z71..

- Tim
    As I stated in a previous post some guys have thicker or a numb [non-permissible content removed]. Therefore, a usually uncomfortable ride for some is ok for others...LOL

Dean
  • dlucierdlucier Member Posts: 19
    the Chevy and GMC Z71's and found no appreciable difference in ride, handling, etc... Bought the GMC because of dealer reputation and equipment combination.
    I don't understand Motor Trend bashing the Z71 package; they should realize that this is an off road configuration with different spring rates, shocks, bump stops and such and different ride characteristics than a 2wd 1500. I like the ride and find it smoother than the '97 I had before it. These are TRUCKS we,re talking about here, not Cadillacs.
    BTW sorry to hear of your troubles Obyone; hope they straighten out.
    ..a 2500 hits bumps hard...but as i do more highway than city..it handles much better than any 1500 ever even thought of...

oh well...I'll never convince yawl...but hey..as long as I know...

- Tim
    The 2500 bumps harder than the Z71. And it handles better than the Z71. I understand for the load capabilities, don't understand what you mean by the ride comfort and control. Maybe the control part by how would the ride comfort be better if it hits harder? Like watching those GI's in the war movies bouncing around in their jeeps like bucking broncos. I don't understand the harder providing more ride comfort.
    highway..and it dips down or small sharp bumps....a 1/2 would be "mushy like" at those speeds...(there is no way to explaon this man)...where a 2500 is a smaller, more solid/quicker/in control bump...

if even held the road straighter on a washboard gravel road..

who knows...I'll never go back...

- Tim
    a 3500 would ride better than a 2500? Just curious.
    my father in laws crew cab duelly rides better than mine....and it's a 3500...

hmmmmm

what about them Ford 750's?.....hmmmmmmm

- Tim
    You would have to really pass closely to the car next to you to fit it into a stall....but then again...who knows cause its a Ford...LMAO

Dean
    Crew cab dually 8 foot box with a huge cap...I've driven and parked it...don't wanna drive everyday though....it's a tank!...i drive a cube van with a 15 foot box enough.....so basically I can park a silverado like nothing!

- Tim
    to pick up Denali. Started talking to the service guys who were walking over to the truck lot (they also sell Caddys and Buicks) asked what was going on. Apparently there was free food and drinks (nonalcoholic) with cheerleaders washing vehicles in the lot as a fundraiser. So...told the wife I'd meet here at home and was going to have my truck washed. Instead of watching all these young chicks in tight shorts washing trucks, I walked around the lot and found what I thought was three new Sierra xcabs for sale. But they had signs on them saying 2000 Sierra sold "as is". I ran into the sales manager who did my deal on the Denali and asked what's up with those trucks. He told me one was a repo and not sure on the other two. I asked why no warranty since they were '00 models. Said he didn't know either as both trucks came in yesteday. Hmmm..kinda strange..no warranty. what could cause that...unless...they are lemons...

Tim-

I would think that the dually would be easier to drive than the cube van. Cause with the cube van you gotta watch for vertical objects like roofs as well. Although you got to watch for the flares on the dually.

Dean
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    YOu didnt check out the cheerleaders??? AWWW man why not? hahaha i guess your a smart man check out the trucks before the girls. Im sure id be the same way

Ryan
    I see trucks all day!...you guys need a lesson in fun from the fun-meister Tim!

A keg of beer, some girls, good tunes, and I'll show ya a good ^&*&$%^$ time!

LOL

- Tim
    Hope your wife isnt around haha

Ryan
  • 2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    ok 2nd visit for brake pedal dropping all the way to the floor intermittantly. The first time the master cylinder was replaced and this time nothing, they said they couldnt duplicate the problem.
    so an hour after I pickup the truck the pedal drops all the way to the floor before I get even a hint at any kind of stopping power. I was able to get the windsheild noise taken care of but not the brakes nor the squeeky power steering or the hideously loud wind noise from the door. The lead mechanic said that gm wont have a fix for the power steering until November.
    I already had to call Gm twice cos when I showed up for my appointment they said they couldnt get the truck in then they didnt want to give me anything to drive while they had my only vehicle.
    I dunno I guess its time to find yet another dealer for warranty work
    Can you validate that the dealer changed your master cylinder. Only reason I ask is from what you are saying, I don't know if I could trust a dealer like the one you're working with. The metering valve for your powersteering unit needs to be changed and there is a TSB for it. Your dealer should be well aware of that and the defective rear cab quarter windows as many a Silverado has had those problems and it is nothing new. I doubt if their lead mechanic even reviews the TSB as he would have caught those problems...and definitely, you need a new dealer.
    2-timer Had the same problem with my steering on 2000 silverado- squealed like hell when I turned to the left. After going back to the dealer 3 times, they finally told me they just got a service bulletin in and some bad steering gears got out of the factory. They replaced my steering gear and no more squeek. I can give you the part number they ordered if you need it.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    I bought the truck as a used unit. I wasn't looking for Z71 package, but didn't not want it either. I suspect that it might make it easier to sell when the time comes. The next rig will be a 3/4 ton for greater towing capabilities, and a long bed unless I live somewhere that is space-challenged. By then, the "Z71" will prolly be called something else. I will be able to do more "educated" test driving. This time, it came down to comparing a '97 F150 to the '98 Silverado. I thought I was a "Ford Person."
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I think the question is why didn't GM drop one of the badge names?

Ford did away with the Mercury pickups & Dodge the same with Fargo.

GM should drop the GMC models from 1 ton down & only build the larger heavy duty trucks. GM also should get rid of some of there divisions.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Fargo! Now there is a blast from the past. A classmate of mine in High school drove one and it was old then. When did that cease anyway?
  • buck64buck64 Member Posts: 2
    I here what you are saying about the netter handling 2500 (vs. 1500). I am currently trying to decide between a Chevy or GMC, 2001. I started test driving both vehicles in 1500 form and then decided I might like the 6 litre engine and took the 2500 out. WOW, what a difference in the ride. When the 1500 goes over a dip (like you may find leaving a parking lot) it wallows back and forth. The 2500 takes the "hit" a bit rougher, but, there is a drastic reduction in the "wallowing". It also corners with less lean and feels like I am in more control. Looks like I will be buying a 2500. My current truck is a 97 chevy silverado, 5.7L, auto, 4x4, ext cab, Z71.

Brian
  • buck64buck64 Member Posts: 2
    thats "better" handling, not "netter" handling. I shoulda used spell check!

Brian
    I was the same way....I had listened to a GM guy for 3 years about the new 6.0...and had to get one...but never had thought of a 2500. The ride was so much better and in control for me. As i have said a billion times...the hits can be harsh sometimes...like on a series of them...but overall it's just a bump here and then...but yes....less wallowing side to side and up and down. I like the higher OD gear on the highway better as well. A few have listened and checked what I say out...and most just think I am saying the 1500 is Inferior. All I say is it's superior for me. If you are going to keep one for 10 years or so...you'd be nuts not to get the heavier one..

oh well...glad you seen the light..

LOL

- Tim
  • bigtoysbigtoys Member Posts: 1
    As a Ford F150 owner, I am about to switch to GM but would like advice on GMC vs Chev.
    I will be buying a top of the line 4x4 with all the toys but not sure if I want the Z71 off road
    as I understand it can be a rough rider. Please advise.
    Other than trim and some minor options the Chevy & GMC are the same. It becomes a question of style more than substance between the two trucks.
    I bought a y2k GMC Z71 4 door(SLE w/ all the toys but leather and memory settings)and I am happy with the ride. It is one well refined truck and has awesome power (5300 w/ 3.73 posi). My '97 Silverado 3 door 4x4 didn't ride as good as the new one in my opinion, but you should try it yourself before deciding.
    just my .02
    Good luck and happy hunting.
    before you buy..just for kicks...

- Tim
    Rough rider??? Nah i think it has a nice ride

Ryan
    That cushy thing of yours?

LOL

- Tim
    You may be right on the 2500. I remember a '91 2500 chevy 4x4 I had and it did do pretty well for ride and handling. Now I'm kicking myself for not taking a test drive in one.
    Oh well,its already bought.
    Question though. How does the 6000 in a 3/4 ton stack up against the 5300 in a 1/2 ton? Is there a large difference in torqe if rears are the same?
    if you want to talk racing....(which is not why i got it)....the extra weight of the 2500 and the 2.48 1st gear VS 3.06 for the 1500....makes the extra HP about the same times in the 1/4...with the 5.3 getting a better jump...and then the 2500 bringing up the latter of the race...

towing....the 6.0 gets up into tow RPm's better being the 2.48 1st gear...and the .74 OD..VS .70 makes a difference on the highway for better power...

I like the ride better...so be it...you can always cancel?

- Tim
    ...no doubt about it....but too mushy for me after a year in a 2500...

- Tim
  • mgonzalesmgonzales Member Posts: 8
    I need some advise. I want to buy a 2000 Sierra with the tow package. I can get the 4.8. I do like the MPG the Sierras offer. If I tow a 4000 lb Travel trailer loaded with food etc. and have a couple of mototcycles in the bed with fire wood and 2 adults and 3 kids. Is this pushing the tow rating of 6750 or am I okay?? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    MIke
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Old debate....yes, your truck would be able to do it but a heavier package along with a 2500 would be better.
    do it.....but you won't be very happy...

Get a 5.3.....or if you do it a lot....get a 2500 with better brakes, axles, suspension, etc....

lasts longer too

Good Luck

- Tim
  • birdhunterbirdhunter Member Posts: 2
    I might be kicking myself for this later but last Sat I passed up a new pewter 2000 2500 CREW C. 4x4 for $27,360 +T&T. Cloth/loaded except no power seats. I love the interior of that truck and the 5.7L engine but, felt the slow accel for merging and passing and extra wt in driving over Smokey Mnts. might be a problem. I Drove a 4banger '86 Trooper II for 9 yrs and I'm sick of the nick name "slow poke". I drove 5 hrs 1 way to test drive it and it was extremely hard not to drive it home. I think it was getting sold to a dealer in FLA after I didn't take it.
  • boatman5boatman5 Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with answers to towing. I posted this question a minute ago elsewhere. we are planning to buy a boat/trailer. i'm told it will weigh about 2700 lbs or so. (i dont know for sure) What's the deal with pickups and theyre higher towing capacity (eg. GMC sierra v6) about 6000 lbs or so. and about the same power (eg Ford escape) is only good for 3500lbs. Can a v6 pickup really tow that much? Is it all about the hp and torque or braking or what? Is a v6 enough? You would think so with what the specs tell you. I know everyone says...get a bigger engine/truck, but do i really have to or will the Ford escape or Sierra pickup do the job? Please Help, It's driving me nuts. (i would rather have the Ford suv but not if smoke is gonna pour out of my engine on the way to Tahoe!)
    much more than a truck. Get a crewcab V8 fullsize. If you're doing any kind of towing I wouldn't consider anything less that a fullsize pickup and not with a V6 in it either.
    ok, so, for instance. i quickly checked out the 1500 vortec v8...........same hp and a little more torque..........so what's the difference?
    between the sierra and escape? or pickup vs suv? or .... what I'm saying is for towing your 2700# boat/trailer you also need to consider how much your equipment and passengers will weigh. Four full sized adults would add 6-700#'s with another couple of hundred lbs. for fishing gear quickly brings it up to a 1000 lbs. With that in mind, a V8 would be a neccesity for longevity as a V6 would be taxed. More so in a mini truck or SUV. Mileage is also better in the truck than the SUV due to the wieght difference. Another factor is the difference in mileage between a fullsize V8 and V6 is not much maybe 1-2 mpg due to how hard the V6 would have to work to tow the same load.
    so the hp/torque being equal in the v6 and v8, the v8 engine will run at less rpm making the difference in wear and tear right? So why the hell do they advertise the big tow capacity. It screws me up. any way thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Rob
    I tried to respond to your email but had it returned as undeliverable. Is that roadrunner you are using? seems like they have a lot of problems lately....especially for what they are charging...
    It will do the deed. However, the question is for how long...and how hard the V6 would have to work. Marketing at its best...
This discussion has been closed.