Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, but with a caveat:

"GM North America President Mark Reuss told Automotive News that, based on the history of the segment, offering a manual is probably not a "financially sound decision,"
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    isn't the take rate for a stick on pick ups dismally low anyway? Might be a little higher on a smaller truck, but I doubt by much.

I want Ford to bring over the new Ranger. they featured them on an episode of Amazing Race, and they looked slick.

and yes, they were all sticks! A-R is famous for making the contestants drive themselves at some point, and put them in sticks. High comedy since there is always at least one that has no clue how to do it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited November 2013
    Civic SI, and this might be the best shifter and clutch of any car I have ever owned. After driving around in this for a week, I think MAYBE I could make peace with the gradual attrition of manuals as long as they continue to offer them as the only choice in the "sport" trims of mainstream models. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    I want Ford to bring over the new Ranger. they featured them on an episode of Amazing Race, and they looked slick.

and yes, they were all sticks! A-R is famous for making the contestants drive themselves at some point, and put them in sticks. High comedy since there is always at least one that has no clue how to do it.

Wife and I love that show, and we always comment on the issues with manual transmissions and some of the teams.

Missed the episode you're referring to, but remember a season where lack of manual transmission prowess (VW Touraeg?) caused a team to finish last and get eliminated.

And, the season where they were in Spain and were given diesels ... two or three teams filled with regular gas, much to their dismay.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Congrats, nippon! Sounds like you could get used to being in a FWD again? :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Indeed, the need for four doors and a max budget of $30K pretty much dictated that I would relearn to love FWD! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I'm very happy with my Fiat 500 manual. It's agile, economical, easy to park in tight spaces, and does just fine cruising at 75 mph.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Wife and I love (Amazing Race), and we always comment on the issues with manual transmissions and some of the teams.

It's been mentioned more than once in our house too... how I would have to do the driving if we ever got on that show.

Doesn't bode too well for wanting my next ride to be a Jetta SportWagen TDI with a stick, especially since the wife doesn't think I'd be able to teach her at our now-40ish age.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    Doesn't bode too well for wanting my next ride to be a Jetta SportWagen TDI with a stick, especially since the wife doesn't think I'd be able to teach her at our now-40ish age.

My wife only drove stick shifts until we bought our '99 Ford Expedition. Took her some time to get used to the lack of engine braking when she took her foot off the gas.

Now, with the 'manu-matic' automatics, I doubt that she'll ever go back to driving a traditional 3-pedal stick.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited December 2013
    ..."Took her some time to get used to the lack of engine braking when she took her foot off the gas. "...

So when did FORD lock out DOWNSHIFTING? :)

Downshifting and coasting in gear (sometimes out of gear also) use to be major reasons/benefits for M/T.

With the advent of no fuel draw IN gear, ( mpg benefit on diesels are most dramatic) I have long since made it a point to coast in gear or after downshifting for the upcoming transition.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Fiat version comes with a 5 or 6 speed manual (or an automatic) and Ram is reportedly re-engineering it for the US market.

My guess is that they'll re-engineer the manuals right out of the picture but we can keep our fingers crossed.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited December 2013
    radius'.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

It's time for "what would it be like ta have a daily driver as small as this?" again. Mitsubishi is making this pup with a 5-speed standard transmission. It has these features standard:

■1.2-liter DOHC MIVEC 3-cylinder engine
    ■Automatic climate control air conditioning
    ■140-watt CD/MP3 audio with 4 speakers and USB port
    ■Power windows with driver's side auto up/down
    ■Split folding rear seats
    ■P165/65R14 low rolling resistance tires
    ■Seven-airbag safety system with driver's knee airbag¹
    ■Active Stability Control (ASC)² with Traction Control Logic (TCL)
    ■Anti-theft security alarm system and engine immobilizer

The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE has those features plus these for $12,995:

Includes all standard features plus:
    ■5-speed manual or available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
    ■14-inch steel wheels with full sheel covers
    ■ECO status indicator light
    ■Gloss black center console trim
    ■Rear spoiler
    ■Power door locks and side view mirrors
    ■Remote keyless entry with panic feature

Options for the DE include:
    Alloy Wheels | Exterior Package
    | Protection Package | LED Illumination Package
    | Cargo Package | Chrome Package
    | Park Assist Package

The 2014 Mirage ES starts at $14,195 and includes these features:

■5-speed manual or available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
    ■14-inch alloy wheels
    ■Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
    ■FAST-Key electronic entry and start system
    ■One-touch Start/Stop (OSS) engine switch
    ■Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    ■Steering-wheel-mounted cruise control and audio controls
    ■Halogen fog lights

The following are options that could be added to the ES model:

Navigation Package | Exterior Package
    | Protection Package | LED Illumination Package
    | Cargo Package | Chrome Package
    | Park Assist Package

With a sharp turning radius of 15.1 feet combined with a length of just 148.8 inches, city parking is a breeze. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is at 115,456 miles and running like a champ right now so dealing anytime soon is out of the picture. But this vehicle is getting me thinking standard tranny-time again. 37 mpg in the city, 44 highway. It's got the best ghastly mileage in America with an ICE rig, non-hybrid.

One thing I like is that you can get the upper-optioned model, the ES, with a 5-speed standard transmission like you can the cheaper model. Not all manufacturers are doing it that way, but Mitsubishi, with its racing heritage, is following suit and doing just that.

Kind of reminds me of the late 80's Kia Festiva and Chevy Sprint.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

just named autonomous driving as the technology of the year, and in the article where they discuss it they say this will be the final nail in thhe coffin of the manual transmission, as it cannot be adapted to the manual and will be pervasive in the industry by 2040 or earlier. :-(

Might just halve car sales too, not to mention killing cabs.
    It's useless to fight major trends, and, besides, 2040 is a long way off. It's unrealistic not to expect change. There are still numerous choices of models with manual transmissions, even though, increasingly, a spirit of compromise is required in terms of matching models and transmissions.

Peoples' preferences often change over time. In 5 or 10 years you may actually prefer an automatic over a manual.

I think that one of the major factors hurting manual transmission demand, besides the fact that fewer young people desire the experience, is that many automatics now achieve similar fuel economy and performance as manuals.
    "In 5 or 10 years you may actually prefer an automatic over a manual. "

it's already happened to people ordering the new Corvette Stingray.

So far, 3 out of 5 are going automatic.
    Being as how the new 7 speed M/T is probably one of the better M/T's to come along in quite a while (Tremec) , an interesting observation (60%) . But then in the short past, the trend was more like 75% A/T. (overall)
    I actually applaud the choice. The Stingray is too big a car to be rowing around with a manual transmission. There comes a point in terms of power, speed and dimension where a paddle shifted automatic really makes sense, to get the most out of the car. I'd say the same for a Ferrari.

Actually the MT percentage is 38%, come to find out, which seems low but is actually the highest percentage of any GM car. The Camaro is in the low 30s.

My preference is to keep the manual transmission in smaller cars with smaller engines, and in trucks. I don't feel they work in luxury cars or formidable large sports cars.

Would I order a Stingray in MT or Auto? You know, I'm not sure. I'd have to drive it hard. For something like a Boxster, definitely MT, but for those big babies....I dunno.....I might not want to be fussing with a stickshift while working through narrow twisty roads overhanging a cliff into the ocean.
    edited December 2013
    I think you hit the nail on the head, CHOICE. I actually have grown to like the Tremec (product line) . But then on the other hand, when I see one of my relatives, it is hard not to like the M/T on the Porsche Carrera. We (you included) on the far left coast are blessed with some of the MOST iconic American "backroads." Higher speed freeways when we want those also ! :)
    edited December 2013
    Yep the west coast has some of the most beautiful and challenging roads in the country--Highway 1, in some places, leaves little room for error if you are really on the loud pedal. It requires concentration. Even in the MINI you're busy in the cockpit with a MT--5th and 6th speeds are virtually useless and with the supercharger you don't ever want to be below 2000 rpm. I suppose in a Stingray you could just do the entire thing in 2nd! :) But boy, would you suck in it everytime your Stingray went around a blind corner on the south side of the road (the cliff side---the one without the guardrails) and met an F250 dually going the other way. With the MINI at least I have a little breathing room.
    edited December 2013
    Indeed torque is more the emphasis in those TWISTIES rather than speed. With pretty close to 1 G capability, one really does not want to make a power slide mistake, (even if one is a legend in ones' own mind) . It's bad and stupid enough to kill one self. It would be unconscionable to take someone else to multiple others.

In a recent group conversation at a car event, I overheard someone saying that they didn't like to drive a manual transmission because they found it "too distracting, what with everything else you have to do in modern traffic"---to which I thought, but did not say: "If moving around a gearshift and stepping on a pedal is too distracting for you, you are in way over your head operating a 2-ton vehicle at 65 mph".

edited December 2013

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    In a recent group conversation at a car event, I overheard someone saying that they didn't like to drive a manual transmission because they found it "too distracting, what with everything else you have to do in modern traffic"---to which I thought, but did not say: "If moving around a gearshift and stepping on a pedal is too distracting for you, you are in way over your head operating a 2-ton vehicle at 65 mph".

Indeed ! ? I think that all of us drive for different (combination of) reasons and it changes all the time for a lot of different reasons, For some reason/s it was important to me, when learning how to drive (years ago, to as a minimum) to drive manual transmissions proficiently. One skill that I think it does develop/emphasize is the ability to structurally think AHEAD. In traffic with an A/T, it would seem that guy you overhead was more into reacting, and being in the moment.

That's the way with drivers these days, is it not?! I mean, being reactive rather than thinking ahead. I actually had someone tell me last week that my rear brake light (center) was not working after driving behind me for a while through town. We had gone through four or five intersections, three of which were red when we approached.

He thought I was mad when I told him that my brake lights work fine, I just had not used the brakes during that period! :s

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

I can see if you are a real newbie not wanted to get into a bad driving area, but if you know how to do it, it really takes no thought. Basically just becomes automatic.

Just checking in to say my new SI has got me loving stick shift more than ever - it has one of the sweetest shifter and clutch combinations I have ever driven. I don't see how you could drive this car and not become an instant convert to the cult of the manual! :-P

@nippononly said:
    Just checking in to say my new SI has got me loving stick shift more than ever - it has one of the sweetest shifter and clutch combinations I have ever driven. I don't see how you could drive this car and not become an instant convert to the cult of the manual! :-P

Congratulations on your new SI. Is it a sedan or coupe?

@hpmctorque said:

Congratulations on your new SI. Is it a sedan or coupe?

It's a sedan. Use the back seat all the time, need those extra doors. ;-)

I am going to follow the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage and how owners/test driver's feel about its driving dynamics. I like the great ghastly mileage, late 80's Ford Festiva/Chevy Sprint looks yet 5 doors ta choose from and $13,000 price range.

@iluvmysephia: so sad, the CVT makes better mileage than the manual in that Mirage! But of course that is the trend these days. Nice to see that at least the manual is the standard transmission even in the higher trim. Of course, I have no idea what real-world availability looks like.

I saw one of these on the road the other day, so some people are buying them. For me 74 hp and a 2000-pound curb weight make it a non-starter. And 14 inch rims? Wow, that might be the smallest rim on any new car in the market. Even the Spark starts with 15 inch rims. Will be interested to see how those two battle it out - Spark starts $1000 cheaper, but Mirage has much better standard equipment - the Spark similarly equipped costs about $1000 more, looks like. As for fuel economy, Mirage has about a 3-point advantage for the manual, and about a 6-point advantage for the CVT.

Several of the car mags were recently pretty harsh about the new Versa Note, one saying anything else, even walking, would be a better choice. It will be interesting to see what they think of the newest Mitsubishi for sale in America....

• brucem3brucem3 Member Posts: 7

I recently bought a new 2013 Honda CR-Z 6-speed manual, and I can't even imagine the thing with an automatic -- seems like it would totally suck all the fun out of what is a really fun little car. But I gotta say, when I said I wanted a stick, some dealers looked at me like I'd just announced I was from Mars. I wanted to consider a Chevy Sonic and Ford Fiesta, but no dealer near me had a manual or was willing to go to any effort to get one unless I was committed to buying the car -- which of course I wasn't going to do without driving it. One Ford dealer did have a manual in the ST -- the hotrod version of the car -- but that's a really different experience than the regular model and more money than I wanted to spend.

I love manuals and find it really sad they're becoming so rare.

edited December 2013

Several of the car mags were recently pretty harsh about the new Versa Note, one saying anything else, even walking, would be a better choice. It will be interesting to see what they think of the newest Mitsubishi for sale in America....

nippononly...

Man, I watched a review of the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage in 5-speed manual form earlier today and the guy hated the car. He said that the Kia Rio would be a better choice for about a $1,000 more. Umm, dude, are you thinking of the true costs here? The Rio would end up running you about $3,000 more. He doesn't like the 1.2L 3 cyl. motor that puts out 74 horses and only 74 ft-lbs. of torque.

One huge positive of the Mitsubishi he failed ta mention, though. That 34/40 mpg for the manual-trannied Mirage! Oooppss...just happened ta leave that one out, eh? That's probably the best good point about the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage, the ghastly mileage. Our '08 Lancer is plugging along strong with 116,405 miles now on it, so I'm not gonna rush in to my next Mitsubishi that quickly. Nor do I know (without a test drive) if we could live in the small-ness of the '14 Mirage.

But the car is now squarely in my radar now. And yes, I would insist on the 5-speed stick for this pup. Truly a car you can call "pup" and it fits.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

how about the chevy spark in this discussion of manual-transmission micro-cars? $12,000 retail price. 1.2L . and the desirable Z spec floor mats and grille adds a mere $500 .

• brucem3brucem3 Member Posts: 7

@elias said:
    how about the chevy spark in this discussion of manual-transmission micro-cars? $12,000 retail price. 1.2L . and the desirable Z spec floor mats and grille adds a mere $500 .

I drove a Spark recently, before I settled on the CR-Z. What a relentlessly boring and cheap-feeling car. If you want a microcar with a manual, the Fiat 500 feels much more solid and stylish. A little more money, but worth it unless you're determined to get a new car and keeping initial cost low is your 100% top priority. If you have a little flexibility in terms of what you're able to pay, there are lots of choices out there.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited December 2013

expectations couldn't be lower for the spark (gas version anyway).
    but CR-Z,nice - those are way niftier.. expectations are much higher for CR-Z, eh?

edited January 2014

I don't like GM or really Chrysler products so the Chevy Spark is not even on my radar at all. I would consider a new (or lightly used) Ford product, probably either the Focus or the Fiesta. I would consider a stick shift ST of either brand, however, those get fairly pricy. To tell you the truth, Kia is going ahead with building their new GT sports sedan. That is going to be a RWD sedan, folks. Those of you who know me on here throughout the years know I have owned both a 1999 Kia Sephia and a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4. Both were standard-trannied Kia's. Now, Kia's standard transmissions are not the easy-ta-hit-the-notch nitchy stick shifts you might get from a...umm...VW? Audi? BMW? Eh?

But they fit in to the spot and I enjoyed my '99 Sephia much more when I got some decent tires and wheels for the compact car. But I have been in a friend's Forte5 that is an automatic CVT, but rode very smoothly and nicely. I remain very impressed with Kia's latest stuff, and the Kia's I have owned are their old-school stuff. What would a 2015 (don't know when it's gonna hit showrooms yet) Kia GT with a 6-speed stick ride like? With RWD and current Kia quality, I'm thinking pretty smoothly. With our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS on 116,578 miles and running like a champ, I can wait for the Kia GT ta get here for a while. That is the stick-shift sedan I am going to wait for. Also, Mitsubishi is working on a new EVO XI and a new Lancer that I can't dismiss my long-term interest in, either, probably not the EVO XI, but the Lancer GT (they no longer call the sportiest Lancer the GTS like my 2008) remains high on my futures list.

edited January 2014

I am, thus far, very pleased with my Fiesta. My local dealer generally keeps a good mix of transmission choices in stock, so I've never had a problem test driving a manual when I wanted to do so.

My Fiesta, which is a 2011 model that I have owned for close to 1.5 years now, is a manual SES hatch. Very solidly built little car - quiet, excellent handling, peppy. I'm getting an average of 34.6 over this time (21,000 miles), even with winter mileage being sub-30, especially this winter with all the heavy snows and cold (-20F or below) spikes. During the summer months I average 37 in mixed driving and 40 or a little higher on highway trips. I think it is rated 29/38, so I have no complaints there! It is netting me about 3 mpg better than the '98 Escort it replaced while being a much, much nicer car in every way.

I was really tempted to replace it with an ST this fall, but my wife interceded and brought me back to reality; she is such a blessing. ;)

sephia - As lightweight as that Mitsu is, I suspect it could be a fun little runabout. I have to wonder how they pulled off that weight while still building a high-quality, safe-to-operate car. Kudos to them on doing so!

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@xwesx said:
    I am, thus far, very pleased with my Fiesta. My local dealer generally keeps a good mix of transmission choices in stock, so I've never had a problem test driving a manual when I wanted to do so. snip

My Fiesta, which is a 2011 model that I have owned for close to 1.5 years now, is a manual SES hatch. Very solidly built little car - quiet, excellent handling, peppy. I'm getting an average of 34.6 over this time (21,000 miles), even with winter mileage being sub-30, especially this winter with all the heavy snows and cold (-20F or below) spikes. During the summer months I average 37 in mixed driving and 40 or a little higher on highway trips. I think it is rated 29/38, so I have no complaints there! It is netting me about 3 mpg better than the '98 Escort it replaced while being a much, much nicer car in every way.

I was interested to read your positive comments about your Fiesta, Wes. I recall you have said before too that it is a good little car.

I'm curious your size, cuz I sat in two different ones last summer and wanted to really like the car cuz I had read how fuel efficient it is (apparently a very good powertrain/gearing combo that actually exceeds its EPA) and also that for a small car, it was quieter inside than most in its class, and that it rode quite well for its class too. FE, ride, interior noise levels and seat comfort are all high on my list for a new (affordable) car. I have been exercising a near 25 year boycott with Ford due to a blatant injustice they dealt me back in 91, but had sorta considered maybe shelving it. Little did I know, the seat was just terrible. I couldn't get over how narrow and just poorly supportive it was. The only one I can think of that was worse was a 2008 Nissan Versa's I rented a few years ago (found out the 2014 Note is only barely better). Now I know I should lose about 20 lbs, but I don't think that makes my butt so big that it shouldn't feel squashed into the seat. For contrast I also sat in a Chevy Spark a couple hours earlier and it actually felt better than the seat in a heavily loaded Buick Encore with leather. So it's not like I am expecting economy class cars to have luxury feeling seats.

Anyway, I didn't even bother driving the Fiesta cuz the seat was such a deal-breaker for me. I also knew that my next car is going to be an auto, and had heard that Ford has had more than their fair share of drivability issues with the DSGs they use in it and the Focus. Not sure if that is sorted out now or not..
    I know yours is a stick so maybe you have no comment on their DSGs.

The two I sat in ...one was used, so to make sure it wasn't because someone had damaged the seat, I found a new one..not sure the trim level, but it felt the basically the same.

I actually wanted to like the car though..I do like their looks. Good clean lines and usable room for a small hatch.

edited January 2014

Cranky-

I'm 6'0" ~190#

My SES has the leather seating, which is firm but supports my body exceptionally well. I like the bolstering on it. I'd call it hugging, but not in a, um, WRX or Recaro sort of way. If the car had a moonroof, I wouldn't be able to sit in my preferred position (upright, rather than leaned back like a lot of folks prefer).

I've driven the car many a time down to Palmer and back, which is a brisk 6-hour drive, and haven't been uncomfortable during the drive at all. On major selling point for me on the car is that it has good rear seat room (for a car this size). I could do the "sit behind myself" test and actually sit comfortably in the back with my knees directly in front of me. Only the Honda Fit was able to also pass that test. At the time, there was no Spark and the Korean option didn't have the leg room while the Mazda2 had horrendous headroom. I actually had to stoop to sit in that one (in the back seat). My children are frequent passengers in my car, so rear room was an important consideration for me.

You're right regarding the dual-clutch automatic. There were many early production issues with them (early failures), and the one I had in a rental (specifically requested the Fiesta as I was considering buying one at the time) worked fine, but took a lot of the spirit out of the car. Also, at low speeds (like 5mph, such as traversing a parking garage or lot), the thing bucked annoyingly. I was a little thrown off by the manual-like behavior of the transmission without the input of my left foot, but dang that car had good fuel economy! I posted close to 44 over the 150 miles I used it (many of which were city commute miles), which is far better than I can obtain with my manual version unless I'm really trying to milk the mileage.

I should mention, on the automatic front, that I drove two different rental Focii recently, both of which were 2013 models (do they still have the DCA on them?), and the transmissions were impressively smooth. Should I be embarrassed that I find myself stomping the floor in search of the clutch pedal when I drive these things? :s

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@xwesx
    Now you have me quite curious to try the leather interior version.

I wonder if they have fixed that 5 mph stop n go abruptness on the newer DSGs now? The fact that you got even better milage with the DSG suggests that its fina drive ratio must be a lot taller than the stick version. Also why it's a bit soft on urge probably..

I don't know if the Focus has DCA still..did you mean DSG? If so I think that yes they still use that style of auto.

And no, don't be embarrassed at all for using the left foot outta habit...I can so relate to that anytime I get in an auto the first 20 min or so..

edited January 2014

sephia - As lightweight as that Mitsu is, I suspect it could be a fun little runabout. I have to wonder how they pulled off that weight while still building a high-quality, safe-to-operate car. Kudos to them on doing so!

xwesx-nice ta hear from you. Yep-Mitsubishi engineering is top-quality engineering. The fact that American consumers didn't get that memo is no surprise ta me at all. Having said that, I would, if buying American, buy Ford. 58% of all my car purchases have been Ford's and I remain impressed by my old, traded-in Ford's as well as the new offerings. I like the new ST Focus and new Fiesta the most but I do like the standard Focus and Fiesta sedans and hatchbacks as well. Sounds like you're getting good ghastly mileage out of yours. Excellent. For how much we're stuck paying for ghastly (since about 1970 and/on) I am always about saving money in that category as much as possible yet still getting an enjoyable ride.

I am growing more and more interested in the manual 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage, though trading in our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is not only something I don't want to do it's also not something I need to do. I just love cars so much and love reading about them, and love driving them so much. You're right, to get a car under a ton in total weight and focus so much on the gas-saving aerodynamics like Mitsubishi has, yet still manage to get a car built that is safe on the road is quite an achievement.

@crkyolfrt said:
    xwesx
    I don't know if the Focus has DCA still..did you mean DSG? If so I think that yes they still use that style of auto.

Yes. I think DSG stands for "direct-shift gearbox," which doesn't make a lot of sense to me given that a classic manual transmission is, for all intents and purposes, a DSG. I may have coined "DCA" myself, so sorry about that. A "DSG" is an automatic that uses a dual-clutch mechanism to allow for automatic shifts without the need for a torque converter, so it seems an apt acronym to call it a "dual-clutch automatic." :)

I just did a quick search and, yes, Ford does use the "PowerShift" transmission in both of these cars. This is a 6-speed "DSG" made by Getrag. They must have improved the low-speed characteristics of it, because I did not notice any unpleasantness at all when I used the 2013 Foci, and I had one of them for a week. IIRC, it netted me ~33 mpg in local driving.

@iluvmysephia1 said:
    I just love cars so much and love reading about them, and love driving them so much. You're right, to get a car under a ton in total weight and focus so much on the gas-saving aerodynamics like Mitsubishi has, yet still manage to get a car built that is safe on the road is quite an achievement.

Yep, I'm in the same boat with you there! I switch cars far less often than I'd like to switch them. Not that I don't like the ones I have... there are just so many other interesting ones out there I'd like to try!

I think my '98 Escort was listed as 2457#. Curb weight of my Fiesta (which is, dimensionally, is 15 inches shorter!) is 2537#. Just looking at that tiny little thing, one wouldn't reasonably expect it to weigh that much! It harnesses a horse for every 21.14 pounds.

The Mirage manages to knock a whopping 541# off my Feista's weight while being an inch narrower, another 11 inches (!) shorter, and an inch taller. That means, with it's little 74-horse engine, it has a horse for every 26.97 pounds. So, I wouldn't expect it to be a particularly zippy car, but could still be a fun runabout. Reviews say that it's steering and suspension are on the soft side... ? Would be interesting to try, anyway. :)

Yes, some early purchasers are buying sway bars for about $200 and installing them. There is also talk about the 14" tires being the smallest tires on a new car in a long time. Have ta agree with that. Buyers say some tighter springs might help, too, with handling. Mitsubishi may need to upgrade those items straight from the factory from now on but I'll bet they won't ta keep '14 Mirage costs and weight down.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited January 2014

What are the best manuals available for under $30,000 these days? There are a few, including....

The 2014 Mazda3 sedan 6 speed manual starting at $16,945.

The 2014 Mini Cooper 6 speed manual starting at $19,700.

The Mazda6 Sport 6 speed manual starting at $20,990.

The 2013 Civic Si sedan 6MT starting at $22,715.

The 2014 Accord Sport 6 MT for $23,715.

What are some others?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited January 2014

This shopper could use some help. ISO a MT hatch or wagon with a moonroof.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

Have to include Miata in that list.
    also GTI.

Have not driven the Acura ILX, but it's stick is probably pretty nice - near the top of the price range though.

Ilx drivetrain is really just the civic in a cushier package. And GTI needs to be on the list.

Can a WRX come in on budget?

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

@stickguy said:

Can a WRX come in on budget?

Definitely yes, base version. Still pretty fast, 250 hp or so - and handling, too.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

@stickguy

Disadvantage of the WRX may be insurance costs, especially for a young, unmarried man (we're still talking your son's car, yes?).