Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Now far from me to be putting ideas into your head but a 2009 Prius, while you can still get them, would be a much kinder vehicle both to her limbs and your pocketbook over the longterm.

Right, because since you wont be shifting anyway, you might as well get a slow, uncomfortable lifeless transportation pod so you can make sure you are truely unhappy for the next 10 years.

The 2010 doesn't look to be significantly advantageous over a 2009 and will come with an early adopter premium.

Right, since no one wants a vehicle that can go up hill and make 60 mph in less than 15 seconds. Its amazing how much pressure they felt from the Ford Fusion Hybrid, which actually gets reasonable hybrid like mileage (sorry Honda Accord Hybrid) and isn't miserable to drive (sorry previous generation Prius).
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    So far it seems like Audi, VW and Ford offers DSG. This of course at the present time greatly limits the field.

Add BMW and Porsche to that list, a couple of makes heavily favored by the three pedal crowd. Porsche calls theirs PDK (from the German for Porsche Double Clutch)
    and offers them throughtout the line except possibly the 911 GT3.

BMW calls their twin clutch DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) and so far offers them only on models equipped with the 3.0 liter TwinTurbo 300Hp six or the M3 V8 (not sure about the M5 V10). Not doubt that will change in the near future.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    You are probably more "time" correct. I had read the article on the Porsche's offering (PDK, Panmera) and took it to mean in the future. Also the 09 BMW 335 D only offered a 6 spd slush box. I also remember reading something about that most M3 drivers are opting for the automatic (slush box). So I am sure the DSG would be a more welcomed option.

Over all the field is still rather limited.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    a 2009 Prius, while you can still get them, would be a much kinder vehicle both to her limbs and your pocketbook over the longterm

The Mazda3 was a bit of a bust. Just felt too cramped on the inside and I think I've decided I like the 5 speed shift pattern better than the 6 speed.

Funny you mentioned the Prius - it's been on our list to test drive, and I actually passed one about an hour ago that had a roof rack on it.

I hear that Priuses are stacked up like cordwood at the ports and that the 2010's were MRSPing a bit less than the '09s.

We're both leery of VW reliability but the siren song of the Golf/Rabbit may lure us to at least take a test drive.

Oh, and thanks for the get well missives - she has two pair of skis for sale btw. :shades:
    ..." and I think I've decided I like the 5 speed shift pattern better than the 6 speed."...

That is a new one on me !!?? I really don't give it much thought going from a Jetta TDI 5 spd to a Corvette Z06 6 spd (both manual transmissions). But then again between the two, there is 192k.
    I kept hitting 4th trying to go to 6th. My muscle memory from the 17 years driving the old Tercel must still be there.
    Ah yes. In the sense that it was only a test drive.... move on, eh? I have read it is a kicky little (albeit, cramped for you and the Mrs.) machine !!
    Everything seems cramped after the minivan. :)
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Member Posts: 158
    I hear that Priuses are stacked up like cordwood at the ports and that the 2010's were MRSPing a bit less than the '09s.

Steve - Toyota sees this overstocked situation as merely a temporary phenomenon. From what I've learned it appears that Toyota has been working hard overseas to cut production. I have also learned that soon the reverse situation may apply at Toyota USA. Deliberate product shortages are looming. Toyota is becoming reluctant, in the light of the sinking value of the american dollar, to stock up the North American market with their imported product. Obviously it is of no advantage to any manufacturer to import in order to increase market share if the profit per imported vehicle is sensitive to a volatile exchange rate.

wwest - Ok, I'll accept the last line of your post.

The misunderstanding comes from the fact that the Prius is often quoted as having a CVT. That may have been acceptable during the early years of Prius while figuring out exactly how the Toyota HSD planetary torque splitter worked - although further misnoming it as a power split device didn't help any when dealing with the theory back then, I hasten to add. Supporting this declaration occurred just a few comments ago when ruking1 posted a link to "How Transmissions Work" a section of which refers to the Prius as having a CVT - what further proof do you need ?

In the public's eye a CVT is a mechanical device that accomplishes a variable gear ratio by cone shaped pulleys. Forty years ago they were popularly known in industry as Reeves drives. They worked fine if properly maintained. If not they were a source of constant trouble.
    They were a source of constant trouble.

BTW whenever you see a manufacturer's request to perform maintenance at regular intervals remember this is just a palatable way of saying we messed up on the design - you better keep an eye on this POC.

Consequently my involvement in those days was to install a work-around. This entailed mounting a DC motor on the other side of the Reeves transmission so that the load carried by the Reeves belt itself was correspondingly reduced. Relieved of arduous duty the gearbox became more durable.

Today only really old systems still have them. Modern industrial designs use microprocessor controlled servomotors exactly like you find in the Prius. But here's the rub. A mechanical CVT is probably a lot easier to manufacture if your guiding thrust has always been in the development of advanced mechanical systems, as most automobile manufacturers predominantly are.

However what we would call a conventional CVT does experience durability issues with mechanical wear which has no counterpart in those other systems that employ servomotors and planetary gears. Susceptibility to the incorrect or deteriorating lubrication fluid which plagues even automatic transmissions is not a factor with them either. Servo systems are even less affected by those extremes of temperature which are known to affect systems which rely to a high degree on fine mechanical tolerances.

Toyota happens to be one of the first companies to start making the shift from mechanical to electronic power control and despite its unpopularity with the gearheads among us the fact remains that electronic devices scale easily. It cannot be ignored that a 600 amp semiconductor device weighs just slightly more than a 60 amp device. Now imagine a 600Hp gearbox with one handling 60Hp and my point starts to come clear.

Then there is the simple conversion of amps into volts and vice versa by semiconductor devices. Consider that at low motor speed and consequently low output voltages on the motor terminals we can usefully convert some of that excessive voltage input at the controller into some more amps in order to provide enhanced electric motor torque at those low speeds - similar to the action of a manual gearbox moved into first or second gear. Without the use of any transformer the electronic controller supplied with an input of 100 amps can yet issue 400 amps out the other side. Whether you contemplate this to be some type of magic or a typical exploitation of differential equations in a pulse width modulator depends merely on your level of education.

--Steve, You do realise that your wife, in the mentioning of the sale of her skis, is giving out a subtle hint, typical of the female.

It is the equivalent of "If you don't know - I'm not going to tell you"

That being so, sadly for you and barring the divorce court, whatever the future of manual transmissions, I don't see a third pedal in your future.
    T2
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    No transformer....100 amps to 400 amps....

Try as I might I cannot think of a way of doing this, voltage step-down, absent a transformer. The "transformer" may be in the form of a motor-generator, as in the oftimes relationship between MG1 and MG2 in the Prius, but an inductive device none-the-less.
    You do realize that your wife, in the mentioning of the sale of her skis

No I don't get it. Sometimes people tear their ACL skiing and the next year break the same leg skiing and decide to change sports. Unfortunately she didn't care for snowboarding.

And if Toyota clutches are like the one we both drove forever in the '82 Tercel, she can just use her right foot to pop it into first and then just shift without the clutch from there on out. I did that when I broke my left leg and it was our only car. (yeah, that was skiing too - you'd think we'd learn).
    I would say that for the next 5 MY's (2010 to 2015, if not 10 my's), manual transmissions inclusion is almost 100% certain. OEM's would literally have to offer NO manual transmissions in its model line up. Currently the majority of models offer M/T's. Currently across oems as well as model lines, as reflected in the MY sales; that is app 10% M/T's. Scant references to the total passenger vehicle fleet, put the manual transmission (M/T) fleet at 20% of.

So being as how the average age of the passenger vehicle fleet is @ 9.3 years old, the extention is to 2025.

Even as the manual transmission, (aka STANDARD transmission) remains the "standard" transmission, I have always seen it as an "acquired taste". I know there are a significant minority that would take umbrage with that view, as the premium for the optional transmission is. can be, remains an issue.
    You all might want to convert this articles word pictures to get a sense as to why a manual transmission will remain in the card deck even at the additional 10/15 and probably 20 year marks

link title

Judging by the reduced market shares and how long the 27 mpg standards with defacto 22 mpg has stood the test of (a LONG) time, the 2016 35.5 standards are still 6 MY's off. Using the same ratios, the defacto standard should be 28 mpg.
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Member Posts: 158
    wwest - yes indeed, inductance is involved. Either as the inherent inductance of the individual phase windings of a three-phase motor or that supplied by the use of a separate non-saturable reactor. Two other necessary components need to be included. They are the bulk capacitor bank, connected across the incoming high voltage bus, and a high frequency diode that provides an alternative path for the full output current when the main power transistor is caused to switch off.

The most important thing however is not to know exactly how this is done but to have the faith that this is indeed possible and avoid the need for a rational explanation concerning the synergy of a few differential equations.

When it comes to electric motors, most people understand as a general rule that output torque is proportional to current while RPMs are similarly proportional to the applied voltage. So if the maximum current you can draw is limited by the source generator then so is the torque. And that should be the end of story.

However, the fact that Volts can be traded for Amps provides electronically the same torque amplification heretofore only expected of a mechanical gearbox. A fact whose full impact is not generally appreciated. Moreover sometimes I think not even amongst those who are actually involved with powertrain design.
    T2
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    You don't need a transformer to do a voltage stepdown. You're probably thinking about standard AC (115V) power.

A type of switching regulator called a "buck" does this all the time. The output voltage is lower than, and the output current can be higher than the input to the regulator. It still needs an inductor of some sort, along with a capacitor to filter/smooth the output waveform.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Interesting bit of info for you.

Volvo discontinued the manual trans for all their cars except the C70 and C30 for the 2009 MY.

For the 2010 models Volvo brought the Manual back for the S40 and V50 even the AWD models.

The S60 isn't coming back for 2010 but at least you can still get a hot sport wagon with AWD and a six speed in the V50.
    Indeed.

I would be interested in why Volvo brought BACK the M/T in the 2010 MY S40, V50 and AWD models. I take it the Volvo C70,C30 will continue with M/T in 2010 MY.

Perhaps the Green Car Congress review of the 2010 MY Volvo might offer a glimpse through the looking glass? Volvo Upgrades Power, Lowers Fuel Consumption of 2.5L Flex-fuel Engine
    14 May 2009
    I designed my first PWM switching regulator (down converter) back in the mid-seventies, ~30Khz, 15 & 5 volt outputs.

Aren't "buck" converters restricted to raising the voltage, lowering the current..??

"100 amps = 400 amps" clearly implies a voltage down-converter (watts is watts), or have I missed something.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yes the C70 and C30 continue with manual transmissions as standard all the most are still sold with Autos. I had a list with take up rates for the auto trans on the C30 around here some where but seemed to have misplaced it.

I know that Volvo has lost some sales since ending the availability of manuals on so many of their manual trans equipped vehicles. I have a previous customer who got rid of his V70R for a manual trans BMW because he couldn't get any manual Volvo Wagons or large sedans.
    Perhaps Volvo is using the same technique that VW is now using to increase the safety factor of MT in FWD or F/awd vehicles.

VW's technique is If the driver downshifts to a level that results in so much engine braking on the front that wheelslip/lockup occurs then the engine control ECU will automatically up-rev the engine to the "proper" level to alleviate the potential for loss of directional control.

Clever, those Germans.

Absent this technique the liability of putting a FWD MT vehicle in the hands of John Q Public can rise to a pretty serious level.
    Perhaps British Rover can comment on your speculation. The VW has been "drive by wire" for any number of years. In 125,000 miles I have never been able to get VW's to so called "up rev". The 03 TDI has little engine braking to speak of. It seems to be far down on the list of priorities.
    I'm pretty sure the VW up-rev technique is something that is new for 2009, maybe 2008.
    App 7.5k miles of that is on a 2009 VW Jetta TDI. Nada so far.
    Aren't "buck" converters restricted to raising the voltage, lowering the current..??

I think, in general, a buck lowers voltage (3.3V -> 1.5V for an FPGA, for instance).

A boost converter raises the voltage.

Here's a succinct summary from Control Engineering:

A buck regulator, more properly called a buck convertor, is a dc-dc step-down power supply utilizing the fact that inductors react to electric-circuit fluctuations in such a way to keep the current flowing through them constant.

"100 amps = 400 amps" clearly implies a voltage down-converter (watts is watts), or have I missed something. "

I agree about that statement implying a voltage step-down converter. Power in = Power out + losses.
    I think it is a Tremic 6066 six speed manual transmission.6 speed manual Cadillac CTS-V
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Oh, man, a great discussion about Subarus, no less, and I miss the entire thing while out on vacation. I gotta see if I can post from my BlackBerry. :D

I think the key here is the Subaru tuned the CVT quite well. The EPA numbers are good but early reports from media and friends that have test driven it are very positive.

IMHO there are good CVTs and bad CVTs. Nissan got it right. Mitsubishi's I didn't like at all. That's among the ones I've sampled, anyway.

Gotta try this new OB CVT, though.
    This is a good thing for Subaru. It has never been known as a mileage leader. Anything they can do to "tighten" things up so to speak is a good thing.
    Yep, they really need that boost to meet future CAFE numbers, too.

They haven't paid CAFE fines, but I know they were exactly at the limit last time I saw the numbers.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Does the 2010 OB get a 6 speed manual, or is it still just 5 speeds? The 2.5 H-4 has plenty of torque to handle a tall freeway cruising gear.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

6 speed I think. I've been on vacation while it was launched so I'm not 100% sure.
    Yes, I think that was the reason behind Subaru's reclassification of the Outback wagon several years ago. We had an '02 that was classified as a passenger vehicle. Couple of years after that, Subaru increased the ground clearance a bit and did some other tweaks that allowed them to classify is as a light truck /SUV. That way it didn't count towards the harder to meet passenger CAFE standards.
    there seems to be no references to the accident and fatality rates of @ fault manual transmission drivers. Suffice to say the records show this to be one of the safest years since they started recording these types of statistics.

link title
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, a 6-speed manual replaces the old 5-speed manual in 2.5i Base and Premium models. It's not available in the 2.5i Limited (CVT only) or H6 (5EAT only) models. Now, trying to find one is another story.

The 6-speed is also the only tranny available in the Legacy 2.5 GT turbo.

Bob
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I really love that Soob makes the stick the ONLY choice in all the turbo models - it makes a statement about the mission of the car that no CVT ever will IMO.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    It's funny that you say that, Bob, because of the three Outbacks in stock locally, two are manuals! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Hurry up and buy them both before they sell! :D:D:D
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    here in NJ, teens are required to take 6 hours behind the wheel with a professional driving instructor before they can get their permit (yes, the driving school lobby paid off the right people).

one of the local ones by me has a fleet of bombers they use. If you wonder where the old K cars and Citiations went to die, this is the place!

They also have a fairly new (certainly nice looking) Ranger PU which is the stick shift car. Yes, they teach stick! Not hard to tell it is the ranger, since it has a big sign on the tailgate that says stick shift.

I got next to it yesterday at a light (2 lanes straight). Even better, the teenager was a girl. I mad esure to pint this out to my daughter (13 now) since it will be her turn in a few years.

Too bad they only barely made it trough the intersection before coasting to the curb. Guess she might have had a little trouble getting going, but at least she was trying!

Probably would be easier to learn on a nice Honda instead of a ranger with a long throw, and who knows what kind of clutch (although probably much cheaper to do frequent clutch jobs on a 4 cyl ranger).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Here is Maryland, there is not a manual tranny requirement for getting your license. But, all 4 of my kids were taught on a manual car. Three of them passed their driver's test with a manual, and my 4th used her grandmom's Neon auto for her test. But afterwards, when she went away to college, she wanted a manual so as to limit the number of borrowers that would asking to use her car.
    I do not think it was ever (50 state and territories) a requirement to have to pass a test with a manual.
    Probably would be easier to learn on a nice Honda instead of a ranger with a long throw, and who knows what kind of clutch (although probably much cheaper to do frequent clutch jobs on a 4 cyl ranger).

I don't know, I always found Honda clutches to be far more difficult to master than most other vehicles. The '93 Accord was terrible, especially compared to my '89 Galant or the '91 Isuzu Impulse. Even the '93 Civic was more challenging than either of those two cars.

I have stalled the Subie once or twice, but that was under either poor driving conditions (snow/ice) or towing something (backing up with the pop-up).
    A well kept secret : passenger diesel powered 5/6 speed manuals are by FAR the easiest to learn, gain proficiency on and drive.
    I do not think it was ever (50 state and territories) a requirement to have to pass a test with a manual.

It was before 1946 when you either drove a manual or you walked. :P

A well kept secret : passenger diesel powered 5/6 speed manuals are by FAR the easiest to learn, gain proficiency on and drive.

I learned on a 1981 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel.

That said, and after some reflection, anything torquey is going to be more forgiving and easier to learn. Hondas are not torquey. The G35 is pretty forgiving, and its got a lot of twist.

For all my whining in the cell phones are the devil/cell phones are heavenly forum, maybe I should say I believe there is a strong correlation between the amount of torque a vehicle has and how easy it is to modulate the clutch and the acceptance of wrong gear choices.
    "A Talkeetna woman who died Thursday after her car was struck by a train at a railroad crossing was learning how to drive a stick shift.

After talking with the family, we know that they recently purchased a new vehicle and it had a clutch, and (Denny) was still learning to use it and to get comfortable with it," Alaska State Troopers spokesperson Megan Peters said.

Which troopers say may explain the sudden jerk that some witnesses reported."

Woman killed in collision with train was learning to use clutch (KTUU)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Wait - I found this as the first comment there:

Emmila was my Aunt. She was not learning to drive nor use a clutch, she's owned several vehicles throughout her life - both automatic and manual transmission - and had owned this particular vehicle for 5 or more months, obviously any learning curve for new ownership had passed.

Why the Troopers would mention any of this without first obtaining confirmation is beyond me. The investigation of the incident is and has not yet been completed, and anything that is said at this point because of that is pure speculation.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Troopers have failed miserably to provide quantitative information to me or the rest of the family, and has failed again in providing what has been to the reporting agencies.

If the troopers are so quick to say she was old and didn't know how to use her car, just to avoid doing their job and actually investigating the accident, that's on them. But I'll certainly hold it against them, in a court of law if necessary.

Yes, that is a relative of the victim. As he said, she had driven stick before and had had the truck for 5 months. The "learning curve" had well passed.

Typical sensationalistic media blather. But wait to see how much press this gets and how much it gets used on online forums by the antis....
    Makes you wonder what "family" the troopers talked to.
    That said, and after some reflection, anything torquey is going to be more forgiving and easier to learn.

Having driven both high-torque (Pontiac GTO 400CID) and low torque (VW Beetle) vehicles I suspect it's easier to learn on a small engine with a light clutch action.
    I had no trouble learning the rudiments on my Volkswagen, it took only a couple of days and I lived in a somewhat hilly area.

While we're at it I'm sure that it's easier to learn a 3/4 speed box than a 5 or six speeder. Fewer gears mean less chance for confusion.

Torque may help but I agree that a light clutch, even a worn one, is easier than a grabby/stiff clutch.

My 91 Escort GT had a light clutch. Buddy had a Dodge Shadow turbo and that clutch was just awful, you had to stand on it with all your force. It had much more torque, being a 2.2l turbo, than my little 1.8l did, but my clutch was 1000x easier.
    While we're at it I'm sure that it's easier to learn a 3/4 speed box than a 5 or six speeder. Fewer gears mean less chance for confusion.

I don't know if I agree with that. Especially with little torque. More gears typically are spaced closer together so if you get the wrong one, the car will still go. Starting in 3rd instead of 1st is do-able in the Galant but not so much in the Nova.

I don't remember my stick learning as to whether it was hard or not. But, it was done on a 1952 Plymouth 3 speed on-the-column. No, I'm not that old, but my dad kept his cars a long time :P .

After showing me how to work the clutch, I got in and, after stalling the first couple of times, just started moving the car back and forth, 10 or 15 feet at a time in front of the house. First gear; let out clutch (hope it doesn't stall); forward 10 feet; brake; reverse; let out clutch (hope it doesn't stall); backward 10 feet; brake. Repeat several dozens of times. I'm not even sure I used the gas the first couple of times.

All my kids learned on my '92 Sentra SE-R. I don't remember them having issues with having 5 forward gears to deal with.