Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander

teds1teds1 Member Posts: 180
Are they kidding with this? Wow Chrysler must have really shelled out the big bucks to get the crack Bulgarian design team that sketched this monstrosity... I have rarely seen more conflicting shapes and angles on a vehicle. I really don't care how functional it is or how many people can fit in it, they should have stretched the new (and not that pretty either)Grand Cherokee if they needed the room. that vertical windshield makes me think of strange euro city cars, not rugged classic Jeeps

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Agreed. I cant think of a more off-puttingly styled vehicle. Bleh. Good luck to DCX.

~alpha
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah I have to say this thing is most unnatractive and shaped like a brick. I knew they were on that sort of styling kick looking at the 2005 JGC but gee moe netty this this thing looks awful. Too bad because they're dreaming if they think they'll sell 60-70K of these a year. I feel bad for Jeep because this is just the entry they need in the luxury SUV arena.

M
  • dogocanariodogocanario Member Posts: 2
    Did you see the vehicle in person?

If it was designed to hold another row of passengers by utilizing an existing platform while staying consistent with the Jeep styling heritage, then they hit their target IMHO.

Based upon the pictures it reminds me of the G500 or first generation Range Rover. I kinda like that look but I recognize that the style is not currently fashionable.

Any cargo capacity information?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    much better than the Grand Cherokee, which it's based off. I think it's an excellent update of previous Jeep wagon design. I see a ton of Cherokee in it, as well early ('48 – '62) Willys station wagon.

It's a Jeep, and it looks like a Jeep.

Bob
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
  • writer00longwriter00long Member Posts: 1
    I love the way the Jeep Commander looks. It goes right back to the roots of what a jeep should be- none of this, round edges that we see all the time. I think they are right on track. And I am excited to see how the public will take to a more retro look.
  • robtichrobtich Member Posts: 1
    I cannot wait to see it when it arrives at the dealers. It looks like a Jeep which is the way it should be; but bring back the inline-6!
  • afterguardafterguard Member Posts: 7
    I like it. It reminds me of a muscled up Cherokee. A model that I miss after owing two ('94 and '97).
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I look at the Jeep Commander as a vehicle with great potential. It is the first Jeep vehicle to seat more than 5. The Cherokee is a midsize vehicle but it lacks the seven passenger seating of the Explorer, TrailBlazer/Envoy, 4Rummer and the Pathfinder. The Cherokee seats only five and that also in very cramped conditions.

The Commander is perfect for those who need off road ability as well as room for passengers and cargo. It's good the solid rugged looks that vehicles like the Explorer and 4Runner lack.

As I hear it will also be offered with a HEMI engine, so power will be no problem.

The only problem that I can forecast is fuel economy. Boxy vehicles have never gotten very good mileage. Also, hopefully Chrysler will spend some time and money in designing the interior so that the Commander is not criticised for having cheap interior pieces and poor build quality.

The Commander is a great vehicle, the kind that was missing from the Jeep lineup for years. Now if only they would build the Gladiator concept.......
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I talked to a Chrysler manager about the Commander yesterday, and it's all ready bar the finishing touches. He was pretty excited about this vehicle as well. He was driving a new Grand Cherokee, and did mention that this (and the Commander) are just perfect without the HEMI. He felt that the HEMI is slightly too much power for the vehicle's size & weight, and the main result is decreased fuel mileage (unless you're doing serious off-roading).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    in an auto mag (I get 3, so I never remember which one had it), and I kinda like the boxiness, in a Volvo-like sort of way...as I consider future SUV purchase, the list consists of Pathfinder, 2005 redesigned Explorer, and possibly this...I do not care if it seats 7, but if the seats fold down, then there should be more cargo room then Grand Cherokee, which makes it easier to travel with a large dog or two behind the 2nd row of seats...but if they cheapen the interior to junk, then Ford or Nissan will earn my $$$... :):)
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I like this much better than the grand Cherokee. This is what the Grand should have been from the first. I have never liked the soap bar shape of the Grand. Now if DC can bring the interior quality up and make the reliability a reason to buy then it should be great.
    dead...glad to see someone is watching...
  • julesjeep68julesjeep68 Member Posts: 1
    I just got info on the Jeep Commander yesterday and I love it. I now own a 2004 Grand Cherokee after having the Cherokee Classic. I loved that Classic and should've kept it, the inline 6 is die-hard dependable and the mileage was great, but the new Grand is pretty, but not even close on the mileage and I have an inline 6 in this one, plus the Grand Laredo doens't have the rear ac/heat vents at the bottom of the console like the Classic did. I'm glad to see Jeep is going back to its roots and bringing back a classic with a nice redesign. I just hope it's made affordable to those of us who are Cherokee Classic lovers!!!
    What info did you receive, and where di you get it, if I may ask???
    15 minutes at the Jeep website on the Commander...I really like the boxy shape (hey, I liked the boxy Volvos of the 60s and 70s)...looks some different from Grand Cherokee, and a few inches longer...if it really has the room in back behind 2nd row of seats (I would lower third row, do not need it, use space to carry 2 dogs, Choc and yellow labs), I would add it to my list of possibles, 2006 Explorer, new model 4Runner and Pathfinder, and the (hopefully) expanded Santa Fe...if those Commander seats feel as comforatble as they look, this could be a neat car...add the Hemi....
  • johndodgejohndodge Member Posts: 25
    My name is John and I’m a Marketing Representative from the Jeep Information Center. I was wondering if anyone would mind if I were to join in this discussion. I might have some information that you might find useful or help clear up any concerns you have on the Jeep Commander.

Thanks,

John B.
    I just want to make myself available for any questions any of you may have. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding the 2006 Jeep Commander please feel free to post. I will try my best to provide you aan answer.

Thanks again,

John B.
    Give this topic a chance to grow...most folks probably do not know about the Commander yet...once they do, this topic will explode, as it will be compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee (often abbreviated JGC)...

As long as you are here, are the seats in the Commander any different than the JGC???...does the vehicle seem larger, and is it???...can you list some of the major and minor differences we should expect between JGC and Comm, or will they be a product of badge engineering, like GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe???

Bob
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    This isn't completely related to the Commander but...

Does Jeep have any plans to build the Rescue concept, or the Gladiator? Or even a pickup at all?
  • greyhoundgreyhound Member Posts: 10
    John - a few questions on the Commander:
    From the data I have browsed, the V8 4WD Commander appears to be both heavier and have less capacity (with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded) than a similarly equipped Grand Cherokee:

Commander JGC
    curb wt 4,783 lb 4,094
    max cap. 68.7 cu ft 70.8

I can accept the Cmdr as being a little heavier, but 700 lb heavier? Also, didn't expect the Cmdr to have less interior capacity, given its boxy shape. Can the 3rd row of seats be removed to give more room?

Finally, can you post a photo of a non-Limited model to show what the painted grille vs chrome grill will look like?

Thanks - good to have an insider checking this thread.
    Greyhound
  • brandibzbrandibz Member Posts: 1
    Do you know what the 2006 Commanders are going to retail for? I have a 93 Cherokee Country that I absolutely love and have been waiting and waiting for that style to come back. It looks like this might be it. Also, my '93 has a little over 80,000 and in excellent condition - any idea on how much I should ask for it?

Thanks!

brandibz in humid MN
    Thanks for the great questions! Marsha7, you will notice a difference in the seats between the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Commander, but they are similar. The Commander utilizes different materials for its seats; the base Commander uses Telluride/Albi cloth, while the Grand Cherokee uses Majesty/Albi cloth. Both use different leathers as well, if you choose to go with this option.. The Commander uses McKinley leather in the base model with U package, and Yuma leather in the Limited trim level. As for the Grand Cherokee, it uses Royale leather. These differences offer a different look to the interiors, for both vehicles.

The Commander is bigger than the Grand Cherokee, in both height and length. There are plenty of differences between the Commander and the Grand Cherokee, as they are separate vehicles geared towards different needs and wants.

Navigator89, Jeep hasn’t released any official plans to produce either the Rescue or the Gladiator at this time.

Greyhound, here are some numbers from the information I have here. The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with a 5.7L HEMI® engine has a curb weight of 4,745 lbs with 67.4 cu ft of cargo space with the 2nd row seats folded down. While the Jeep Commander 4x4 with a 5.7L HEMI® engine has a curb weight of 5,185 lbs with 68.5 cu ft of cargo space with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down. At this time, I am unable to present you with a picture of a body color grill for the Jeep Commander; however it’ll be similar to the Grand Cherokee.

Sorry brandibz Jeep hasn’t released any pricing information on the Jeep Commander at this time.

Well I hope I helped answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to post.

Thanks again everyone,

John B.
  • orchardorchard Member Posts: 2
    John - currently own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (one that the Liberty replaced in 2002). How much longer in size/length is the Commander versus the discontinued Cherokee Sport? I keep the car in NYC (Manhattan) and my garage will charge an additional $100 per month if considered "oversized".... the garage company is GMC: http://gmcparkny.citysearch.com/ Do you know the cut-off for oversized SUV's?? If this car is basically the same as the Cherokee Sport I would like to know when it can be ordered + when you can take delivery?? What is the approx cost with the 5.7L engine?
  • jjak11jjak11 Member Posts: 1
    John,

Any idea when the Commander is going to be available for sale, and how much it's going to cost?
    Here are the dimensional differences that you requested orchard. Your 2001 Jeep Liberty Sport has an overall length 167.5”, an overall height of 66.8”, and an overall width of 69.4”. The Jeep Commander is 21” longer with an overall length of 188.5”, 5.3” taller with an overall height of 72.1”, and 5.4” wider with an overall width of 74.8”. Now one thing you do have to take into account, the numbers I have for overall width of the Cherokee include mirrors, while the overall width of the Commander excludes mirrors.

You will have to contact your garage company to find out what they consider to be ‘oversized’.

Contact your local dealership for an idea of when they can start accepting orders, if they don’t know yet most dealerships would be more that happy to contact you back when they do know. The Jeep Commander is expected to be released in Fall sometime. As I had stated in previous post, Jeep has not released pricing information for the 2006 Jeep Commander at this time. I cannot speculate when we will get more information, but you are more than welcome to stay in contact with us.

I hope I helped clear things up for you! If you have any more questions, comments or concerns please feel free to post.

Thanks again,

John B.
  • cs12175cs12175 Member Posts: 1
    John,

Can you elaborate on who is supplying which interior components of the Commander? I'm hoping for pretty detailed listing if possible; ie, door panels, headliners, seats, instrument panel, etc...

Also, given the Homelink and UConnect being available, you are integrating some JCI technology features into the commander. Any plans for integrating the Rail Port system?
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    John,

I think your participation in the forum is great!

I was curious as to whether a diesel engine will be offered in the Commander as it is in the Liberty.

I think it would be a great idea as it would offer better economy and low end performance than its gas counterparts.

If a diesel engine was offered in the Commander, with about 200hp and 400lb-ft of torque. I'd be first in line!

Eric
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    Hi John and thank you for your participation. In some of the pictures on your website it appears that both the 2nd and 3rd row passengers have their legs turned sideways-in other words seem cramped. We are looking for a 7 passenger vehicle and have looked at the Pilot and MDX but the third row seats are virtually unusable for adults. Do you have any competitive info re: 3rd row seating and is this a legitimate 7 passenger vehicle or would that title be more applicable to the Durango?
    Look forward to your response.
    In reference to my earlier post. I did some searching and the Mercedes E320 CDI sedan has a 3.2 liter in-line six cylinder common rail diesel engine that puts out 201hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. That would be just about right for the Commander. And since it's all part of the same DC family, acuiring the engines should not be a problem.

Eric
  • orchardorchard Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 Jeep is the "Cherokee Sport" (not the Liberty which came out in 2002 and replaced the Cherokee Sport). Are the specs above for the Liberty or the 2001 Cherokee Sport?? Thanks again
    We do not have a list of the suppliers for the interior components for the Jeep Commander, so I will be unable to provide a detailed list. This might be available in the near future, perhaps a couple of months prior to hitting the showrooms. Again Sorry!

Going forth, Jeep has not announced any plans to offer the JCI Railport™ system in the Jeep Commander, but I have noted your suggestion and hopefully this might be considered in the near future…

rangner, I can’t say for certain whether or not a diesel engine, similar to what is offered on the Jeep Liberty CRD, will be offered in the Jeep Commander in the future. Popularity of this type of engine is still growing!!

714cut, the Commander is a legitimate seven passenger vehicle along with the Durango; however; the Commander offers a different look and style. Question for you 714cut: What are your likes and dislikes on the Commander?

Yes orchard, I apologize those specs are for the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Thanks for catching that!

Thanks for the great feedback. I hope this information helped out in some way…

John B.
  • crookstercrookster Member Posts: 40
    Commander 2WD

$ 27,985 Base model including destination charge

Commander 4WD

$ 29,985 Base model including destination charge

Commander Limited 2WD

$ 36,280 Base model Limited including destination charge

Commander Limited 4WD

$ 38,900 Base model Limited including destination charge

Key Options

$ 1,340.00 V8, 4.7 Liter (standard on Limited)
    $ 1,495.00 5.7L Hemi engine (4WD Limited models only)
    $ 595.00 Off-Road Group I (n/a with 2WD or Limited. Includes 3.55 Axle Ratio, Off-Road Group II & Quadra-Trac II Transfer Case)
    $ 225.00 Off-Road Group II (n/a with 2WD. Includes Fuel Tank & Transfer Case Skid Plate Shields, Front Suspension Skid Plate & Tow Hooks)
    $ 400.00 Popular Equipment Group (standard on Limited. Includes Power Adjustable Pedals, Adjustable Roof Rail Crossbars & Heated Front Seats)
    $ 1,200.00 Infotainment System Group
    $ 255.00 Trailer Tow Group IV (n/a with 3.7L engine)
    $ 180.00 Trailer Tow Group (n/a Limited. Includes Class II Receiver Hitch & Trailer Tow Wiring Harness, 3500-lb Max Towing Capacity)
    $ 610.00 Air Conditioning, Rear (standard on Limited)
    $ 650.00 Quadra-Drive 4WD System (Includes F&R Limited Slip Differential Axles. Standard w/Hemi on Limited)
    $ 275.00 Communication System, UConnect
    $ 40.00 Heater, Engine Block
    $ 195.00 Radio Equipment, Sirius (standard on Limited)
    $ 300.00 Radio, AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc CD Changer & MP3 (standard on Limited)
    $ 1,200.00 Radio, Navigation, AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc CD Changer
    $ 150.00 Saddle Brown seats (Limited models only)
    $ 820.00 Wheels, Chrome Aluminum (Limited models only)
    $ 190.00 P245/65R17 OWL tires (P245/65R17 BSW standard)
    $ 75.00 Roof Rail Crossbars (standard on Limited)

Exterior color upcharges (no extra charge for colors not listed):

$ 150.00 Deep Beryl Pearlcoat
    $ 150.00 Dark Khaki
    $ 225.00 Inferno Crystal Pearlcoat
  • reholmesreholmes Member Posts: 8
    John,

Not all Jeep " improvements" have been improvements. When you improved the interior in the GCL in ~' 98 and removed the "full grip" armrests, you changed a valuable feature for those of us who drive off-highway. The brake lever was not a very good substitute for passenger stability, but now even that has been moved to the driver's side. The old torquey 318 on my '96 would take the steepest grades without shifting out of o'drive, now ... The ride has gotten progressively harsher through the 96, 98, 99, 2002 models that I have owned, and while the 2005 is 'sposed to have a better ride, the seats are rock hard.

Have there been improvements; oh my yes. The drive system is probably the best in the world, and the new engine, while not the torquer of the half century matured 318, is hot--on highway and off. But, the little things count big.

So, how is the new GCL or Commander going to be on my 68 year old butt as I drive the canyons and creek beds of Arizona? Will my wife have something to grab beside my arm? OBTW; where do we throw the ashes, out the window into the dry brush? I like the Cayenne ad I saw in San Francisco; " Go climb an on ramp" Well, we expect more from Jeep; off-road means more than a driveway. As it is now, I am looking for a black 1998, with a butter tan interior, and low miles; the 2002 may be my last new Jeep.
    I’m sorry to hear that your 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee may be your last new Jeep, but I do thank you for your loyalty and enthusiasm towards the Jeep brand! I could go on and on about how capable the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee is off-road. From the sounds of it though, you know what you want and anything I say may not make you feel any better about the improvements made to the 05 Grand Cherokee. The only thing I could recommend is to go out and try one. Being in Arizona though, you’re pretty far from the Camp Jeep On The Road events going on this summer. There’s one in Houston, Texas on August 27th and 28th. There’s also a slightly closer one in Denver, Colorado on September 24th and 25th. Pretty far from where you’re at, but it’s an environment where you can test the on-road and off-road prowess of the Jeep line up. I’ve driven a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L HEMI; I found the seats to be quite comfortable on my 22 year old rear end. I didn’t have an opportunity to drive it ‘off-road’ but I’d say that the Detroit area streets that I did drive it on to be comparable. You are absolutely right about the ashtrays being unavailable in the Grand Cherokees, as much as I wish it different; the 2005 Grand Cherokee is the same.

Well I hope you can find the time to attend Camp Jeep On The Road as it is a very worthwhile event.

Thanks again!

John B.
  • homestarmanhomestarman Member Posts: 17
    John,

I think that you can improve on the jeep commander by first raising ground clearance to about 9-10 inches of ground clearance. Second, you can improve third row seat space by moving the it backward about 1/2 a inch and make the roof in the 3rd row higher than than the 3rd and second row(don`t raise past two inches).I hope this helps!(and uh tell me if jeep plans to do this)
    for 10 years, and their pothole problem is huge...if a JGC can navigate the potholes, I would assume it will handle any torture track you can dream up...it's the politics, you know... ;);)
    I am all for a Diesel in the Commander. In fact I would take one over the 5.7. In Europe the Grand Cherokee has a new 3.0 CDi V6 that makes 218 hp and 376 Lbs/ft at just 1600 rpms. Zero to 60 times are under 9 seconds so that puts it about as fast as the 4.7 V8
  • dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    I am a huge fan of Jeep vehicles, my favorites are the wagons. I love this new Commander, it looks a lot like my 1987 Cherokee Pioneer. I wish the Commander was more off road oriented like my go anywhere Cherokee. Maybe a little more ground clearance is all it needs. I love the idea of a powerful diesel engine under the hood, 9 seconds is pretty good for a diesel, just imagine if Banks starts making stuff for that!! I have one major complaint about Jeeps, in fact it's my only complaint with the vehicles, and it seems to me that all Jeep vehicles are affected with the problem. There is too little interior space in all Jeeps, I am 350lbs and I like big interiors, and it's not because they are to small to put bigger space inside, because much smaller suv's have much bigger interiors. I think Jeep should work on this.

I am not going to complain about the IFS or stability control or any other new fangled technology that girls up the Jeep image. I personally like that kind of stuff. I will however complain about Jeep not being the first and foremost vehicle to pop into people's minds whenever someone thinks 4x4. I think it's a travesty, they say Hummer or Land Rover, and even a FULL SIZE TRUCK instead of Jeep. This makes me very angry. I think Jeep needs to focus on advertising it's off road capability, and let the magazines tell how comfortable the Jeeps are. Jeep needs to focus on what got it where it is and thats bad [non-permissible content removed] 4x4 capability.

Advertise bad [non-permissible content removed] 4x4 capability, not some Jeep driving in the sand or snow or on the pavement, show it rock crawling or going through a big deep mud hole, not going from a desert to a highway. Put bigger more aggressive tires on all Jeep models and make them all light truck tires not passenger tires. I know that any Jeep will out do any other 4x4 vehicle any day of the week, but the mass population doesn't, and I blame Jeep marketing execs for that. Well I am done ranting, Commander
    I am just itching to know if the land rover lr3 has a roomier 3rd seat since i don`t want to eat my knees for lunch just to get to the airport
    why is the dodge durango bigger then the jeep commander even though it is the same platform?
    Not only that, but I bet it would get better economy than either the 4.7L V8 or the multi displacement hemi. Out of all the engine choices, a modern common rail turbo diesel with a variable vane turbocharger like in the liberty CRD but more powerful, would be first on my list.

Eric
    Hello Homestarman,

I have noted your suggestions; Jeep does value feedback from consumers. I can’t say for certain whether or not these changes will occur though. The Jeep Commander doesn’t share a platform with a Dodge Durango. It actually sits on the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thanks for all of the great feedback everybody!

John B.
    I can't tell you why Chrysler made the Grand Cherokee interior tight but as for the original down sized cherokee it seems that when AMC designed it they shoved the drive train as far up in the vehicle as possible to gain ground clearance with out raising the ride height very much. I'm one of those guys that cringe when they tell me they are going to put IFS on a Jeep.
  • rctrexrctrex Member Posts: 1
    Is the 18 mpg highway gas mileage on the commander with the MDS system on correct? I've heard that the govt doesnt use systems like mds when determining gas mileage. Is this true?
    The last thing I read on the subject the government put the car on a set of rollers and simulated a set driving route. So the car isn't actually driven around a city or highway to test the MPG. That may have changed but that is how it use to be done.
    I believe it is. Autoweek recently did a test of the Grand cherokee with the MDS Hemi and I think it got like 15 mpg.

Eric
    Hello rctrex,

You are correct; the preliminary figures for the 2006 Jeep Commander are 13 city and 18 hwy. The EPA’s testing for fuel economy wouldn’t be accurate if they didn’t take into account the MDS system. These are just preliminary figures at this point as well, so they are subject to change.

John B.
    Hello again Eric,

The 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee gets 14 city and 21 hwy. These figures do depend on driving conditions though. I hope this helps. If anyone wants to know anything please feel free to ask!

John B.
    Ouch, I was hoping it would at least break 20 mpg. Diesel looks better than ever.