Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This link will take you right to the blog entry and the photo:

Jeep Commander Hits The Beach

Steve, Host
    Where's the buzz?

For buying info check out Jeep Commander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience or Jeep Commander: Lease Questions.

Steve, Host
  • dbryandbryan Member Posts: 1
    where did you find your extended warrant information?
    i am about to purchase one
    dbryan
  • alaskatiaalaskatia Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 Limited V8/Hemi with the offroad package, the DVD/Stereo upgrade, skidplates, chrome wheels and fancy tires for less than what the dealer paid for it. The dealer had it marked for 46thousand....I went to Kelly Blue Book www.kbb.com and printed out what I wanted, took it to the dealer and told them I would give them a thousand over invoice and take the 2thousand rebate.

You can get great deals on last years models when the newer ones come in. I've done that before, but you have less to choose from.
  • alaskatiaalaskatia Member Posts: 3
    I just found this website while I was looking for more chrome to add to my 2 week old Commander Limited/Hemi. Black with khaki leather (we have a lot of grey colored dirt in Alaska). I found an air deflector, and some door entry guards in chrome. If I could find it I would replace the cheap looking dull plastic kick plate with chrome, when we get in the Jeep it seems to magnify all the footprints it gets. I also plan on getting chrome diamond cut license plate frames.
    Welcome Alaskatia - how about setting up a CarSpace page and posting some photos of your new Commander (I haven't seen one in the wild yet). All you have to do is log in with your Edmunds name and password and then browse your computer for photos and upload them.

imageDrive on over and see me!

Steve, Host
  • kwyllie1kwyllie1 Member Posts: 2
    The green electric brake wire is taped to the back of the fuse panel. The shop that installed my brake controller had to remove the fuse panel to get to the wire. They had to call the maker of the brake control unit to even find out where the wire was located. The dealer was no help at all. It is silly that Jeep doesn't provide a plug in for trailer wiring like other car makers do.
  • pfoster389pfoster389 Member Posts: 6
    I did not buy from this place... so this is not a commercial endorsement.. but they are cheap compared to what the local dealer will tell you up front for both extended warranty and service plan prices. I got their "internet price" and my local dealer matched it.

go to Chryslerwarrantys.com :shades:
  • pfoster389pfoster389 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a "dummy chime" [e.g. seat belt chime, etc.]buzzing on its own... intermittent so it is not a wind noise. Seems to appear mostly on hot days.... any ideas? It is not the low washer fluid bell... got that already and put fluid in!
  • ldfoldfo Member Posts: 5
    Well, I am glad I am not crazy...I heard the same thing - a very faint chime - it didn't last very long each time I heard it (I heard it 3 times in a 12 hour period that I drove an '06 Limited Commander). The first time was going about 50 mph and the salesman said he didn't hear anything. The second and third time were both when I had just started the car and was getting ready to back up. It was quite strange...wonder what it is?? I have read about some complaints with the mileage computer system (what's it called?). It sounds like it may be defective too...I wonder if the chime and that could be related??

I love the car though!
    Has anyone else found this also...that the dealerships seem to be clueless...if so, what is up with that? I hope it is not that way with service issues when I get mine. I am coming from a Cadillac SRX and the service and the department have been excellent. So far, just from shopping around, the dealerships (including managers)that I have dealt with seem to not be knowledgeable, i.e., not knowing options, future details, model info., etc. It has been very disappointing to date. Plus, most of the salesmen seem to be here one day, then gone the next...it's frustrating when I seem to know more details than the dealerships!
    Does anybody have any other suggestions regarding extended Chrysler warranties and the Maintenace agreements? Where have you gotten the internet prices to use as bargaining tools? What prices have others paid - what is reasonable?

Thanks!
    Not to paint with too wide a brush, but many salespeople are hired for their ability to close a deal, not for their product knowledge. Most people who are excited about a car and researching it thoroughly will know more about it than a salesperson who's selling a bunch of different models and trims.

Check out the Extended Warranties discussion too, and have fun shopping.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the link on extended warr., Steve. I think you just have to call and tell them you are shopping around for the best price and then take the cheapest one!

As far as the sales issue. Yes, they are hired to close the deal, but I think they should be knowledgeable, too. At the very least, I think they should take the time to find our the answers if they don't know; they should have a manager to go to to get the answers! I would venture to bet that Lexus, Cadillac, Mercedes, Volvo, etc., have salespeople who are knowledgeable.

I wonder if this is an indication of the service I can expect from Chrysler because I truly was disappointed by the dealership I went to regarding model information, etc. Anyway, I hope Chrysler has great service - something in the back of my mind keeps telling me it won't though. I am coming from a Cadillac SRX and the service was excellent (rental cars everytime). Anyway, I love the Commander - I just wish the service would get up to par with Lexus, Cadillac, etc.

Thanks again.

Leslee
  • tlambert95tlambert95 Member Posts: 3
    I finally talked my husband into a new vehicle and I fell in love with the Commander from the first moment I saw it. I love this jeep. We are jeep lovers we have 4 now. He has a 84 CJ and A Willys and I have a 95 YJ Wrangler and now we have the Commander. I have had a couple of problems with the Commander though. One was a slight whistle type of noise. My dealer attributed to the windsheild which they resealed and so far has solved the problem. Now this is my issue I am having. On hot days here in Memphis, Tn it can be unbearable. Friday June 9th I went out in the afternoon one of the hottest times of the day got in the jeep and put down the windows let the hot air get out then turned on the ac. I sat in the parking lot for almost 10 mintues and no cool air was coming out. I started down the road and 5 min later it started cooling properly. I also had a problem with the ac on Memorial Day Weekend. I took my jeep down for the whistle noise to the dealer. Now mind you I had no problems with it before hand other than the noise. They ordered the part and said you can come get it cause it will be a few days before the part gets in. So went down to get it and the ac is completly not working. I mean hottest air I ever seen come from a vehicle. So I ended up leaving it for 2 days there. Went down got it said it was low on freon and they could find no leaks. Now would I not have had a problem with the ac before that point since I had owned it for 2 months already before that day. Since I took it down that memorial day weekend i have had problems with the ac on hot days. The dealership is telling me there is nothing wrong with it. My question for you is there any known common problems with ac units in the commanders. I am not really happy with my dealers service at this point anyhow since I took it in for its first oil change and had to take it back the next day because it was leaving oil on my floor where they had not done the job correctly. So far I have had to leave the jeep 2 days per visit that it has been down there. Which is a difficult thing since they will absolutely not give out loaner cars unless you buy the gold extended warranty. I understand the jeep is going to have problems it is normal for a first year production model I totally expected it but my dealership that is doing the work on the jeep I have had a terrible time with. The sales was great but the service I have been very unhappy with. Anyhow if you can give me any knowledge on the a/c would be great.

Thanks
  • lmyers92123lmyers92123 Member Posts: 21
    My wife and I drove both the 4.7 and Hemi and preferred them over the Tahoe ( too large and too much like a truck). I don't buy foreign and dislike the explorer. We are currently waiting for the 07 model release so our purchase date will be dependent on that plus deals that rea available. I want to consider the E85 option also which I believe will be available on the 4.7. I've seen comments from others on mileage that varies quite a bit between the hemi and 4.7..haven't pinned that down yet. I've also heard some criticism of the nav system being unable to adjust on the fly and am getting hints that the 07 may address this. I really want to put this through the paces in Baja.
  • dusty_tjdusty_tj Member Posts: 7
    Lucky enough to have adopted two Jeeps, one Wranger in '00 and now our new Commander. We had installed XM in the Wrangler and of course the Cmdr came with Sirius. Now I'm not one to complain, much, but has anyone else had reception issues with the Commander's Sirius option package? I live in a bedroom neighborhood 25 miles west of D.C. I would imagine there would be repeaters within range. However, I'm wondering if there is a configuration I've missed, or an optional antennae position, perhaps some optional equipment? The closest large structures are limited to trees and some shopping centers. For comparison, my XM reciever has a much smaller ground plane on the hood of my Wrangler and has yet, in two years, to drop out or lose signal save parking garages taller than 4 stories.

Hope to hear that someone has overcome this or a similar situation???
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    We have had the same problem with the satellite reception dropping out frequently--especially when driving under trees. I had noticed the rear roof rack cross rail was nearly over the satellite antenna, and thought that might be the problem. Then I was checking out the TSBs at the xkjeeps.com site, and I came across one that is for this very issue. As it turns out, the cross rail can interfere with satellite reception, and their solution is to move it forward one stop. I'll give that a try and see if it fixes the issue.
    evaddave, thanks for the heads up. will keep an eye on the xkjeeps.com AND try the rail recommendation.

Thanks again.
  • sbagnarasbagnara Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a commander 2 days ago and we heard a loud whistle when we got on the freeway on the way home. I can't figure out where it is coming from. I though it was the rear window, but when I sat in the 3rd row I couldn't hear it at all. I guess it is the windshield. I have to bring it back anyway for some other stuff. Did they remedy this for you?
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    Go to the Problems and Solutions section and refer to mesg.#94- TSB'S. Any dealership not aware of their own technical service bulletins has a service manager who should start reading and stop making excuses. Anyway, a bit about AC systems--- R134a , a comman refrigerant used in todays autos , is a very small molecule. It can leak thru the smallest opening, so any leak in the refrig. system will cause the system to lose its charge. However, all systems seep gradually , and it is comman over the span of a few years that there may not be enough refrig. to cool properly. So you likely do have a leak somewhere.OR sometimes poor performance is due to a vacuum leak or a blown fuse. Items falling down the defroster vents, like pens, food, pop, can gum up the works inside the AC housing. An overcharged system can cause a knocking sound, while an undercharged system can cause bearings to fail in the compressor because lubricating oil flows thru
    the system with the refrig. So don't operate the AC system if it is already performing poorly. Bad odours are likely caused by mould growing in the moist fins of the evaporator unit. If it smells, it has to be cleaned with a bacterial agent. To PREVENT this mould growth you should turn off the AC BEFORE you reach your destination ,and let the fan blow for several minutes which dries out the moisture on the fins. Do this as a habit. Also,REGULAR use of the system helps prevent the seals from drying out, and causing leaks. Hope some of this helps you stay cool.
    jeepcreeper:

Thanks for the info. I took the commander back and they kept telling me nothing is wrong. Then treating me like I am a complete moron that does not know how to operate my vehicle let alone the a/c. I decided I had enough and had a little discussion with service manager, sales manager that I bought the jeep through, and the man I have been dealing with on the service of my jeep. Being a female they treated me probably like they do all females. I think I was more upset about that than the jeep having problems. I expect the jeep to have problems but I have a 7 mo old that could not be in that kind of heat. The really funny thing is I had no problems with the a/c until I left it with them over memorial day weekend for the whistle noise I was having (which they fixed). After I called and questioned if the part was in, which even funnier about that I got a call saying that they had the part in and was wanting to set up and appointment for me to come in. I had the windsheild done a month ago and got this phone call yesterday. Either way my a/c is working fine now. They filled the freon and checked for leaks and all seems to be okay now. We will give it a couple months and see what happens when it really gets hot here in memphis. I will also start the practice of turning the ac off before I get where I am going. As far as the dealership I have been dealing with I have switched. I have that option thankfully here with serveral dealers to choose from. The sad thing about it is I know I am not the only one unhappy with the service there was another man going through the same lack of service on his Grand Cherokee. To say the least I would not recommend them to anyone.
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    Let's cross our fingers and hope things stay cool for you! Good for you for switching dealerships because the service wasn't up to par. The one I go to (the only one right in the city) has been in business more than 40 years and acts like it knows how to treat the customer.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Here's a quick report back. Moving the cross rails to the recommended spots improved reception quality a TON. It took a while for me to notice it 'cause I don't drive the Jeep all that often. It still drops out occasionally, but it's *way* better now.
    Agreed. Just recently completed a 2200 mile round trip up and down the east coast and not a single drop. Wife (her Commander) is gloating now, saying that the Sirius is superior to my XM. Small price to pay. Thanks tremedously for your help!
  • papagregpapagreg Member Posts: 11
    I picked up my 4.7 Commander Tuesday afternoon,...I absolutley love this machine...BUT.... The next morning I drove about 50 miles and it rained. I started smelling a musty smell. I stopped and checked under my feet and it was soaked. The entire floor on the drivers side. Not only that but it had to have been wet before because of the instant mildewy smell. I am to take it in tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem before I go and they start laying a bunch of crap on me. Also I to am getting a whistle sound on the drivers side? What's up w/dat?
    Thanks folks,....Greg
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Since you're in the Memphis area, I would'nt recommend you take your Commander to Chuck Hutton or Gossett. The best place I found was Southland in Southaven. They're a very knowledgeable 5-Star dealer.

When I purchased my Commander LTD. HEMI 4X4 earlier this year, I had the same window squeaks as a lot of people are experiencing. Not something you'd want to hear in a $44k vehicle. But they took care of it on the spot and I've been hooked on they're great customer service ever since.
    You have known issues..I would be hot.Apparently your new vehicle sat on the lot for a bit. check the TSB's at this site.http://www.xkjeeps.com/
    Thanks,...I believe you nailed it....now if the machanics there will listen to me or at least pull up what I just saw they'll have it. Thanks for your help.....
    "Over the course of 6,500 miles, 90 percent of them on freeways, the vehicle is averaging 14.4 mpg. Combine this with the 18 gallon fuel tank and you're lucky to get 260 miles between fill ups."

2006 Jeep Commander -- Passing Too Much Gas

Please let us know how your Commander is doing on gas in the Jeep Commander: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion. Thanks,

Steve, Host
    I moved your mpg post to the MPG discussion linked above. Thanks for the report.

Steve, Host
  • senmarcelsenmarcel Member Posts: 2
    I turned my commander in this morning to have the dealer check on a major leak in the front passenger floor area. They called me this afternoon and told me that they needed to keep the vehicle another day to pull the dash apart. Sounds scary but will keep you posted. Let me know your outcome.
  • senmarcelsenmarcel Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that when I open the drivers door I get water gushing from the bottom of the door. Have you experienced this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the installation of the side steps. I also found a puddle of water on the floor area in the front passenger area. Let me know what you find. It's been raining cats and dogs out here and I'd like to find a solution.
    I had mine in the shop and they stopped the leak per the TSB I sent them which I am sending you. However the carpet is smelling bad and I told them I wanted new carpet and they tried to give me a hard time about it however I told them that there is a 30 day money back guarentee on new Jeeps and they changed their mind. I love the Commander but I refuse to be bullied. Read through the TBS and you'll see the problem. It's an easy fix but make sure your carpet isn't ruined. There is no reason why a new owner should have to lose that new car smell..... GOOD LUCK!
    http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm#COOLING
  • pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    One of the "AskDr.Z" spots featuring Jeeps has me confused.

First, Dr. Z talks about the Liberty having a diesel engine and getting great fuel economy. However, I've read on a different Jeep forum that DC is pulling the diesel Liberty.

After mentioning flex fuel engines, Dr. Z then talks about Jeeps getting one of the cleanest burning diesels ever. Will this diesel be in the Commander? I like the Commander a lot, and with three kids need the room.

However, I'd really like to stick with a diesel engine. I love my Jetta TDI wagon (although we've clearly outgrown it), and a 30 million gallon biodiesel plant is going online next year in my town.

I've got space next to the barn for a reasonable-sized tank of B20 (B100 if I can figure out a way to keep it from freezing in the winter). The question is, will I be fueling up a Commander, or something else?
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    from what i understand the grand cheerokee gets the v6 mercedes diesel and not the commander. why lack of availalbe engines. hopefull the commander in 2008 will get the diesel.
  • commandermancommanderman Member Posts: 3
    I got the DVD entertainment system with my Commander. It has an auxiliary input that is supposed to connect things like iPods to the audio system so that they play through the Commander's speakers. I had a similar setup in my last vehicle (an Infiniti) that worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, the same is not true for the Commander.

First, getting the system to recognize the iPod is a hit-or-miss proposition. More often than not, when I connect the iPod to the auxiliary system, the system will not switch to the "VES" (video entertainment system) mode even though the iPod is properly connected and playing. If I am lucky enough to get the system to switch to the VES mode, I often get a message on the dashboard screen that says "No Disc Loaded." Sometimes I can get it working by turning the system off and on a couple of times, or by turning the iPod off and on, or by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable between the iPod and the auxiliary input. While those methods occasionally work, none of them works consistently and sometimes I just give up.

Second, on the rare occasions when I can get the system working with the iPod, it usually only works for one song. Whenever there is silence from the iPod (e.g., during the 2-3 second pause between songs), the audio system loses the connection to the iPod and the dashboard screen again displays "No Disc Loaded." The iPod is still playing but the system fails to recognize the iPod even after the next song starts. I can usually avoid this problem by jumping to the next song before the current song ends, thus avoiding the brief silence, but that's crazy. A similar problem occurs during songs that have extended periods of silence or that start very quietly.

I'd chalk this up to operator error but this never happened in my old car, using the same cable and iPod. There's not a lot of opportunity to screw this up, so I really don't think it's me.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know of a fix? I can't find a TSB that addresses this, so apparently it's not a common problem. Thanks for any help.
    You probably have already done this ,....but I would go to the dealer that sold the Commander to you and tell them the problem. Sometimes they have a audio person that can stop by when you schedule a service call that will go through the entire set-up and show you thier little tricks to operate if there are any. It seems almost useless if you have to fight with it each time you want to use it. Just a thought anyways....Good Luck. ;)
    We are actually getting the diesel late '07 m/y for both the JGC and Commander. The Commander of course will get it as it rides on the JGC's platform..

As to the Liberty, it is said to be dropping the old-tech 2.8L TD in favor of the Blutec MB diesel that will power the JGC and Commander.

And yes, Dr.Z is correct. The Bluetec has been tested to 1 million miles and has not lost any emission control or soot/particulate trap functions. It's one thing Mercedes does right, and that is build diesels. The Bluetec is said to be cleaner than any diesel on the road by way of low-sulfur fuel yet returns 31 mpg on Jeeps that are on sale in Europe now...

One question: Where do I signup????
  • pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    Sweet! Has this been published/reported somewhere? I suppose I won't really believe DC had the good sense to put a diesel in the Commander until I see one on the lot, but it would be nice to read a quote from a DC person saying that's what they plan to do.

I've sort of dreaded my next car purchase, knowing my choices are really limited. VW's Toureg TDI is too small (not quite enough room for three car seats), but I really don't need a super-quad-crew cab diesel pickup truck. No one really makes anything in between powered by a diesel.

That's why I'm really stoked -- if it's true -- that DC is going to put a diesel in the Commander.
    You heard it from the top guy himself, Dr. Zetche.

Listen carefully to what he says after he mentions the flex-fuel models. The Liberty, Commander, and JGC will offer the cleanest diesels around. But I do think however the Commander will have late availability tho..
    He does not specifically state the USA. I'm still awaiting an official release.
    great
  • jcn4ujcn4u Member Posts: 1
    CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT U NEED TO TOW THE JEEP COMMANDER BEHIND A MOTOR HOME
  • notautoimmunenotautoimmune Member Posts: 3
    It's a black 2006 and has < 10k on it. It is actually a company car so I can choose another one in September if I want. Problem is - not sure it's what I want again. MPG for a six is not that great - probably because the thing is shaped like a brick - meaning a huge drag coefficient. I just broke the $50 barrier on a fill up, too. I'm feeling that we need to be a little bit kinder to the environment too - so something else may be in order.
    For what it's worth, I do get a lot of looks. Most are positive except for the Rover owners who think the Jeep is a Rover/Hummer wannabe. Nope, that ain't the case as my Jeep is in the garage more than it's in the shop. It's odd that I live in a metro area of around .5 million but still don't see that many of them around. It's cloth interior (no leather option allowed by company) is pretty comfortable and if you put the a/c on recirculating, it turns into a meatlocker fast! The DVD in back seat is nice but the little lip at the back of the trunk has caused numerous spills when the gate is opened. We learned to open the window above it first to check for things that might fall out. Another gripe is if you open the window after rain/car wash, the water comes inside and on your lap! Something weird about the channels above the window I guess. The hand grips way up in front over the dash are almost useless except for orangutangs. The third-row seats are not good for adults except for pretty short trips. We don't have kids but the extra cargo room when they're are folded is handy.
    Problem about the Jeep vs something else is, we need something to haul stuff when called for - our other car is a 2-seater with a mini-trunk. I kinda like the Mazda 3 and the Toyo Matrix - do they do well hauling stuff from Lowe's? Do they come in 4wd? Subaru Legacy? I am open to recommendations.
    I live actually in Millington and have been going to King Cotton in Covington. I am very happy with them. They seem to know there stuff and don't give me any crap about when I say something is wrong they say okay lets get it fixed not well if you do this an blah blah with excuses. I am not a moron and I hate being treated like one. Nothing pushes me over the edge more. So no more Gossett for me. Thanks for the info if I start having problems with King Cotton I know where to go next. The funny thing is the last time I was down there at Gossett with my jeep the guy was like you have anymore problems you just let us know and I looked at him and go not likely with the crappy service i have gotten here. The guy just looked at me with a blank stare like I don't get it. They had my jeep everytime it was there atleast a day longer than was stated. The first oil change I had done there they did not do right and I had to take it back because it was leaving oil on my garage floor. (I was irrate about that one.) When they ordered the part to fix my morse code noise I had to call them 2 weeks after to see if they got the part because they never called me they had it for over a week. The sales end was great they dealt with me and got me a good price and paid of my car I am happy with that end. I don't know about the other service departments for the other brands of vehicles they sell but the chrysler service department really is terrible. Of course the sales department there might be terrible too I had a salesman from the volkswagen lot.

The thing that makes all of this so funny now though to me is the day I was down there getting down to it with the service manager and sales manager and all was the way my husband quietly and calmly stepped away when they tried to talk to him about it instead of me. He simply said you think she is bad you don't want me to step in and besides she is doing a good job as it is. I laughed so hard on the way home that night.
  • jeepcmdrjeepcmdr Member Posts: 6
    Try turning the volume up on your iPod. Mine works if I have the iPod at 50% or higher volume (bar at least half way) - otherwise I get the same results as you.
  • sbyrumsbyrum Member Posts: 7
    My first leak was due to the passenger side drip line for the sunroof not being properly routed to the outside. That was fixed. My next leak occurred on the driver's side after a major rain - only the floorboard itself was wet - the sides were totally dry like the passenger side leak). Basically the same problem, but the drip line for that side had actually come loose and had to be reattached - at least this is what they told me. Both leaks were fixed within 3 hours.
    It's becoming a common problem. I was at the dealers yesterday and they told me that after mine they had several more. It's in thier TSB manual and they seem to know right where to go to fix the problem....Good Luck
    "As for me, I'll be eternally grateful for the Commander's wide front end and solid engine compartment. It took on that tree better than most, and I cringe to think of what could have happenend if less formidable metal had been between us and that giant oak."

CRASH: Say goodbye to the Jeep Commander