Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• shigshig Member Posts: 1
    Have you found out how to tow your Commander behind your motor home? I would love a brush guard combo with a tow set up.
  • cskiwildcskiwild Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading some of the posting about the Commander. I purchased mine about 8 weeks ago. All I can say is has so far been a great ride. I traded in a 2002 MB ML320 for it. It has surprized me as to how it compares to the MB. My wife love it. I have the 3.7 V6 and pull a motorcycle trailer with ease. We have a ski house about 2hr from where we live and have traveled there on weekends and have averaged 18+ mpg on secondary roads. We have traveled to Maryland once with the Commander and got 20.9 mpg. So far it has been great and I haven't had any of the problems I ve seen on the Forum :)
  • thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    From the WSJ regarding Chrysler's projected $1.5 Billion loss for Q3 this year:

"A big disappointment for Chrysler has been the recently launched Jeep Commander, a large SUV. Chrysler is storing unsold inventories in lots across southeast Michigan"

Gotta feel sorry for those that paid thousands more for one just a few months ago than they would have today. Chrysler is practically begging people to buy these now.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Just bought the Commander. It is a base model with the 4.7 liter V8. When I open a door, no interior lights come on at all. Have I just missed a button somewhere or does the Commander really not have lights that automatically come on when a door is opened?? Sorry for the stupid question.
  • papagregpapagreg Member Posts: 11
    The Commander is one of the best lit vehicles I've ever owned. All of the lights inside should come on when opening the door and when leaving the vehicle they stay on for how ever long you set the on dash set-up they have. You can program them to stay on for differant time settings. However I'm not sure if you can set them not to come on at all.?? :confuse: It's possible. So try playing around with the buttons for the dash that tells you English, or How many miles per gall., how many miles to service,....etc....If nothing helps then see your salesman for help. It may just have a elec. problem. Good Luck :)
    Thanks for the reply. I have the computer set to keep the lights illuminated for 30 seconds, but still, no lights come on at all....only if I push them on by hand. I'll call the dealership and see if there is a simple explanation. Thanks again.
  • jackieo2jackieo2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 06 Commander 4X4 V8 U package, I am just curious what others are paying for this model and for the extended warranty. I was quoted $3,600 for a 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty which seems outrageous to me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Jeep Commander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too. And there's some general warranty talk in the Extended Warranties discussion that may be of interest.
  • bmr4bmr4 Member Posts: 6
    Last week I was stranded in Aspen with three friends after a commuter line decided to cancel the last fright of the day to Denver. We ended up in a rental 4WD Commander and drove 4 hours to Denver in heavy rain and snow on two high passes. The Commander rides smoothly, quiet, and has plenty of power on the flat. The instrument panel in the dark is a complete confusion, and the door handles are a real chore to find in the dark. The windshield wipers made an irritating sound on every swipe, as they hit the window frame on every rotation. The real deal killer is the front seats. I am six feet, my friend riding shotgun is 5'7", and we both were complaining in 30 minutes about the flat, hard seats that were missing any appreciable lumbar support . The front seats were uncomfortable enough to drive me away from even renting another Jeep in the future. About power, the west side of Vail Pass is a real test of torque for any vehicle, and the Hemi growled and whined all the way up, in third gear and 6500 PRM straining to stay at 60 MPH. I was underwhelmed by the hype, on this pass with the gas-devouring Hemi as it did not seem to have any reserve left in pulling foug guys and gear up the west side. I have owned two Jeeps previously, and would caution you to drive one for much longer than a brief test before you decide you are compfortable with the front bucket seats.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    If you need a spare key, check out Ebay. I just purchased a transponder key for about $22 and it works fine. Lowe's cut it for free. I could not justify spending $130 on a spare key that would probably never be used during my lease. For this price, it is just a standard grey key that has a chip in it---no remote buttons like the factory keys. Programming info is in the owners manual -- very simple. Unless you absolutely want the remote buttons on your spare key(s), this is definitely the way to go. FYI
    "The full-size Jeep Commander SUV is likely to be discontinued by the end of the 2009 model year, dealer and industry sources tell Inside Line."

Whispers: Jeep Commander May End in 2009
  • genglegengle Member Posts: 5
    Contact Blue-Ox. We checked a week ago and they said that they had a kit for our '06 commander. I had installed the front kit on our '04 Grand Cherokee. It is a half a day job.
    But remember that the Commander is a 5,000 pig. The motorhome will need lots of extra torque. Also when we attempted to trade in our kit modified "Grand", they wanted to discount it over $1000 because they can't have it laying around until that one-in-10,000 customer comes in wanting a modified overweight tow vehicle. We decided not to de-value the Commander.
  • genglegengle Member Posts: 5
    Our '06 hemi Commander gets poor gas mileage. One cause is that it will not shift into final overdrive below 72 MPH.
    The dealer checked 3 other Commanders on the lot and they
    shifted in at 64/66 MPH range. Since most people do not
    count the up-shifts they are not aware that they are not in overdrive. For sure my wife had no idea and still doesn't really care. She loves the car. I think it is a pig. I found the problem because the RPM/MPH ratio was so high.
    Chrysler says that the learning (idiot) transmission can not be changed and are satisfied with their incompetence.
    I suggest that you watch the tach for a "drop" to make sure
    that you are actually in overdrive.
  • preidpreid Member Posts: 2
    Having multiple problems with my Hemi Commander. Started with leak in front windshield, then windshield looks sandblasted because it is so upright that sand and rocks chip it like crazy, bad smell in ac, paint on wheel carriages is corroding, it has stalled twice. I have 18,500 miles. Should I try to get rid of it...its seems the car is a disaster. Please advise.
  • thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    According to this evening's story, Tom LaSorda, CEO of Chrysler, said Chrysler is looking to cut three to six models out of its 32 nameplates. Analysts and suppliers say the new Chrysler Aspen and Jeep Commander SUVs are two of the products that will be eliminated in the future, due to poor sales. Mr. LaSorda said Chrysler does not need several vehicles that are similar in size, capability and price. He added that having a vehicle in every segment does not necessarily mean more sales.
  • txtoolman1txtoolman1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Commander with the 4.7L V8, and I drive to and from San Antonio and Midland every other month. I drive the limit which is about half 80 and half 75. I do the limit and have averaged 18.3 mpg. It is about 360 miles the way I go, and I do fill up once.
    I find the Commander to be quiet, comfortable and great highway vehicle, and in my opinion,it is a better ride with better mileage than my daughter's 2004 V8 Tahoe.
    In town I get about 15.5 to 16.5 mpg. The only problem I have had is the radio needed to be replaced.
    Don't you love the wide open spaces of West Texas!
    I was glad to finally hear from someone about how they seem to enjoy thier Commander. I to like mine and have no bad feelings about my purchase 1 yr. ago. I have had 5 back surgerys and the Truck is extremely comfortable and between the lumbar support, and the heated seats I can go for hours and hours. One other thing I wanted to mention was the power. It may be that I have had 4 & 6 cyl. vehicles for yrs but the 4.7 with the shifting capabilities and pulling power while hauling my trailer with my Harley Davidson inside just flies. When pulling into traffic I have all the power I could ask for to get out of the way of oncoming traffic with a smile on my face that just takes this 52 yr old man back to the days of old when I would hit the gas and just fly. Yes I had a couple of leak problems in the beginning but the dealeship here in Central Fl. took the Jeep in and knew where to go,...fixed it and have called periodically to make sure that all is well. I love this vehicle and can only imagine what the Hemi is like....
    I knew the gas mileage was going to be what it is when I bought it and I really don't give a squat. Well I have to go now and buy a $5.00 gal. of milk.
    Thanks everyone.... ;)
    Greg W........
  • movelabmovelab Member Posts: 2
    I just finished judging a design show in New York. I couldn't stop talking about my Jeep Commander. I absolutely love the design. I drove everything, FJ Cruiser, Subaru Outback, Toyota 4-runner, just to name a few. I really loved the look and feel of the Commander. Very retro and brutish, but soft in all the right places. Navigates through mud and snow and ice and turns on a dime. No wind noise cruising at 80 mph. I live on a farm and can haul stuff and get up otherwise impossible hills with no prob. I feel safe as hell, too. When I drive into NYC for meetings, I get lots of eyeballs and little scorn. It's the kind of cool that defies gender or economics. THAT is rare.

Oh, and I also got a great deal on my Commander. Um, they are a bit of a steal. And let's face it, most of those other SUV's are wayyyy too expensive or look like you should have a brood of kids, 4 dogs and a grandma stuffed in the back.

Bottom line, I have been in love with Jeep since I was a kid, but always bought Japanese. The design of this Jeep is pretty classic and boxy. It's what I was drawn to. Interior not as plastic looking as most other cars I looked at. Hated the fake wood of the Limited so opted out. I like how simple the details are.

I decided to buy American this time around. I could be making a mistake but so far so good. Bottom line, I love my Jeep. Cracked windshield gas guzzling hood that it is.

AND, I also went for the additional 3 year lease = 6 years total. Just in case.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I hope someone can help. I have a 23 1/2' airsteam I'm going to tow with a 4.7 or Hemi. Which will get the better gas milage. Anyone know what that would be?

Thanks, CK
    man what a contradiction of opinions for one post,....You lost me :confuse: 1st it was great then it sucked,....whew!!
  • marrymarry Member Posts: 3
    I love my Commander but I now have a big issue with the car and I am at a loss. The first two weeks of ownership I was driving down to FLA from NJ. I could hear a hissing noise coming from the back and before I knew it the car was overheating. The rear cooling system, not sure for the rear row of seats or the tow package???? let go. Antifreeze entered the cab and soaked the carpets. The smell was horrible. I left the car in NC where it was repaired. Carpeting had to be replaced and a long list of things to fix the mechanical problem. Last Thursday I was driving home and the same thing happend again. This is a little over a year from the first time. The antifreeze was spewing out of the vents in the back and soaked the seats and all the rugs up to the front row. My car is now sitting in a dealership in Greenwich CT and I am being told that they can't look at it for at least a week because they are so backed up. I have called Chrysler and they said they will open a complaint log and take it to a higher level. Has anyone else had this problem? I am very concerend about the damage that will be done by the antifreeze sitting that long in the car. I am getting no help from the dealer, who has told me to tow it somewhere else or Chrysler, who said there isn't much they can do if I don't want to flatbed it myself at my cost. Any comments or suggestions would be a help...right now I am at a loss of what to do???
  • marrymarry Member Posts: 3
    You can love a car. Love the look and how it drives. And that is why I drive the car...I never said it sucked. I stated the problem that occurred, which I have no control over...and asked if anyone else has this issue. Also detailed what Chrysler had told me...if they work with me to do what is right and stand by their product I will continue to love it, if not, then it will suck....
  • alaskatiaalaskatia Member Posts: 3
    It is good to hear about people who love their Commander.

My Commander would be great for Texas. I've been to Texas and I would want a tought, smooth and fast 4x4 because y'all drive like no tomorrow. Speed limit up here in Alaska where I drive daily is tops 55mph.

I love my 2006 Commander Limited, I am getting ready to have spinal fusion and have had years of back issues myself. The drivers seat in the Commander is fabulous. I previously had an Avalanche with all the fixings, a Buick Park Avenue with the supercharged engine and top of the line interior. The Jeep Commander Limited with the Hemi is smoother and more comfortable and quicker than either of the other vehicles on the highway.
    I haven't had any of the problems that I have seen others go through. I have had a couple of sensor lights come on that were fixed quickly with no problems in the performance of this 4x4.
    I live in Alaska so 4x4 is needed 6months out of the year for the snow. I don't get studs on my tires and with the weight of this vehicle it is safe on the icy roads. The gas mileage is a little more than the Avalanche, but looking at comparable high end 4x4 SUV's all of them run 4x4 all of the time and the gas mileage is the same. Best buy for the bucks. I live in a smaller community of about 20thousand, but do see several other Commanders cruising down our roads.
    Alaskans know what drives well on rough and icy roads, and we like our vehicles comfortable. Up here everything is far apart and everyone has to drive as there is no mass public transport in most of Alaska. If more people could afford it we'd probably all be driving this vehicle. I do get a lot of people admiring the Black and Chrome Commander Limited when it's clean : )
  • txtoolman1txtoolman1 Member Posts: 3
    Ok guys, I took my 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8 3300 miles this summer going from San Antonio, to Midland, Estes Park Col., Moab Ut. Grand Canyon Village, Roswell(oh well) and Metorite Crater.
    The Commander did not have one problem. With more miles since my last post, I can tell you that my Jeep Commander got 20.5 mpg for the whole trip. This is not an exaggeration! The only problem I had was at the end of the trip it had used just at one quart of Mobil One oil.
    The wife was impressed by the 6 CD changer and speaker system. The radio gets OK reception, but there were some places in New Mexico and west Texas that had few stations in reach.
    I love this tank of mine. :)
  • sassysadiesassysadie Member Posts: 2
    Who has experience towing with the Commander 4.7? Please give me your thoughts and experience. Also, has the ignition issue been resolved? What about cost normal maintanance, breaks, tires, oil changes etc...?
  • cassetty5cassetty5 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 07 Jeep Commander V6 last March so we have had it for about 6 months now. It has a little over 6800 miles on it. I love the look of it but we have had a lot of issues with it already. The first time we took it in to be fixed we had only had it for a month. The home link buttons and compass stopped working. They said something was wrong with the computer module and replaced it. The second time and third time we took it in the all of my indicator lights lit up on the dash and none of my gauges worked. Plus it wouldn't even shift out of first gear. SO they replaced the ignition switch both times. My tire pressure monitor light comes on all the time when we are on the interstate. They had the nerve to ask me if I had the right air pressure in my tires. My husband is the store manager of a tire shop. I think he knows how to do that just fine. I am getting ready to take it back to the service dept. tomorrow because both of my fog lights are cracked and nothing has hit them. The crack is from the inside of the light and yesterday my power locks started not working. The unlock button on the driver side door does not work and when you hit the lock button it locks and then unlocks. Sometimes it doesn't do anything. I know people have been having the stalling problem but has anyone else had any other problems like mine?
    Anyone have any info on a recall on the Commander/Grand Cherokee brake system? CNN just announced a recall a few minutes ago but I couldn't get to the TV quick enough to get the details. :mad: :lemon: :sick:
  • jrandall26jrandall26 Member Posts: 1
    Where to start. I just had the scariest ride of my life. I was pulling out into traffic when all of a sudden my brakes locked up & the car would not go anywhere but straight when I was supposed to be turning right. I was in the middle of the intersection with traffic coming at me very fast. They all slowed and I understand what the previous person said by feeling like you couldn't steer or brake. I was in a state of panic because I also had my 8, 4 & 2 year olds in the car with me. It was extremely hard to steer! We could have been in a VERY serious if not fatal accident!
    This is ALSO not the only problem I have had with my car. I have a list so here goes:

-Front windshield had seal replaced due to LOUD noise
    -4 A/C vents have been replaced
    -Driver seat belt buckle & 2nd row center seat belt & buckle both replaced
    -Plastic piece on side of driver seat was broke off and had to be replaced
    -Driver window & driver side rear window both broke. they only fixed driver window and said they reset computer for other and it "should" work fine.
    -2nd row A/C only gets good flow when on certain settings. There have been 2 times when it didn't work at all.
    -DVD player is HORRIBLE. It resets just while driving down the road.
    -Had a transmission leak and they said it was a recall on a cap of some sort
    -one time I started car and had NO A/C then started driving and engine lights came on. Car was hesitating. Drove straight to dealership & they said they replaced egnition switch & reset & did something to computer.
    - Finally, the situation tonight with the car locking up.

I don't think that this means I shouldn't have a drivers license and use mass transit but I do think that the person that wrote that very rude comment must work for jeep!! ha!
    Also he must not have been in that situation either where he felt his life could have been in danger. :mad: :lemon:
    Luckily I haven't had as many issues with our Commander as you have with yours. I currently have issues with the loud flute noise in the windshield, the ambient temperature gauge, and a tire pressure sensor. Previously, I had a problem with the passengers window which would quit half way down or up and a problem with the auto-dimming rear view mirror that was not working at delivery. Nothing I would consider dangerous at this point, just annoying little things on an essentially new car with about 11,000 miles on it. Many of the problems I have had as well as read about seem to be electrical in nature. The bad part is that it is leased, so I am stuck with it until 9/2009. If I had purchased it, it would be dangerously close to sitting on some ones used car lot. I haven't checked on breaking the lease as I am sure I am hopelessly buried in it financially. I am disappointed in the quality; a shame since my wife and I both really like the styling and other aspects of the Commander. I think that the lesson learned for me is to avoid new model year vehicles until the bugs are worked out. (had a disappointing experience with a new model year 2001 Mazda Tribute also) I was under the impression that the manufacturers extensively tested new models but I don't have much faith in that anymore. It seems that they rush them out the door and let the customer be the guinea pigs.
  • traci09traci09 Member Posts: 2
    Okay.. I need a little bit of help. Im going to school part time and im working a lot. I get a check of atlease 350 each week. I drive a mustang now.. But I want something bigger and capable of off roading. Im only 18 years old but Ive been very responsible with my savings and I have 10,000 cash to put down on a commander plus my car which is a mustang. I want to buy a used limited edition with the 4.7 motor.. My parents are going to sign for me and I want to pay it off within 3 years. I also have to pay my insurance but i have no other bills... Do you think with gas and maintance I Could afford this with making atleast 1000 a month. I also drive about 250 miles a week to school and work. I think I can but I'd like a 2nd opinion! Thanks!
    The best advice I can give you is to save your $10,000. If you are looking for a different type of vehicle, try and find something that is within the same trade-in or private party value of your Mustang, or maybe a slightly more expensive vehicle. Looking back on it, sooner or later, you will wish you would have kept that $10,000 rather than putting all that money into an asset which declines in value each and every year you own it. Also, think long term. Gas is not getting any cheaper, and the Commander is a gas hog. Also, they will not be making the Commander after 2009 (or so), so depreciation is going to be even worse than on most vehicles. I leased mine for one reason only, the cheap payment. For $260/month, I'm driving a brand new vehicle, and assured not to have repair costs during the life of the lease, and I was able to keep the money in my savings account that I would have spent on the vehicle. That money is earning interest rather than depreciating in value. Thinking back to when I was 18, I would probably not have liked this advice, but give it some serious thought!!
  • dusty_tjdusty_tj Member Posts: 7
    It's the payment, not the gas mileage, the paint job, the stereo, the rims, the option package, that makes a 'paid-for' car so attractive.

Another good feeling is looking at an investment account on a periodic basis and watching it grow fatter and fatter.

Yes, I own a new Commander. And yes, I bought it outright. However, (this is where the rubber meets the road) I drive a 8 year old TJ with over 200 K miles and NO PAYMENT so that I can afford my wife's Commander. :shades:
    I like the other guy bought mine outright and yes I love it. BUT.....16-17 mpg gets old real fast. And that's babying it.The Commander has a bunch of power and it's hard even for this 53 yr old to not nail'er once in awhile. I bought mine because I haul an enclosed trailer with a Harley and all my equiptment for the bike in it. When I do that it drops to 14 mpg. I don't care how much money you may have.....that hurts when it comes to fill'er up and you have a $45.00 gas bill that lasts a couple days. Take some time to look around and see what else is out there. If you need it for a specific reason then go for it but if you just like the style of it then......take a deep breath. Like the other person said,...."gas aint getting any cheaper"
  • traci09traci09 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate your advice.. idk I want something a lot bigger than the mustang and with a little more power. I wanted to get a mustang Gt... but i dont even want to see that insurance payment. Adding it all up I could afford both the payments... but one or the other.. the insurance or the gas bill.. My mustang has a 16 gallon gas tank and after calculating the gas two or 3 times its only getting 13-14 miles per gallon. I've had a mechanic look at it and the only thing he told me was the age and high mileage.. its a 99 and has 113000 miles on it. I just want to upgrade to something with navigation system and all the cool new ''in style'' things that everyone wants at my age and I actually have the money for it. Luckily my college is completly paid for in scholarships and I live at home so I have some cash to throw around. I reallllly like the commander though.. ive wanted one for about a year and a half.. Theres not a lot of people in my town that owns one yet.. Idk.. More advice is more than welcome!

Thanks!
  • 06jeepcrap06jeepcrap Member Posts: 6
    i own a2006 it is not alimited but the problems with it are not limited if you are worried about being able to afford the payments and gas the maintenance and repair will definitely kill your budget, and the down time if you have a waranty willdefinitely mess up your whole schedule .
  • ajax4ajax4 Member Posts: 2
    I know this post is a year old but incase your still around , what came of
    your vehicle stalling? I have an 06 and it has stalled 4 times on me.
    dealership says nothing is wrong.
    thanks
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I'm not here to pass judgment on anyone who has purchased one of these behemoths... just want to pass my opinion along to those who may stop by for an opinion.
    I drive a 07 G35 and after being tapped at a red light by the driver behind me, she's in the shop getting some touchup.
    Enterprise lost my reservation and after an hour of waiting, the only thing they could find was an 08 Jeep Commander. Tired of waiting for my luxury sedan... I took it.
    I'll say this... it drives very nicely down the road. It handles better than I expected and corners with much less body roll than I expected.

On to the bad news. I'm getting 12mpg around town and 15-16 on the highway.
    There is this horrible howling noise whenever I'm only the gas... my guess is the sound of the fuel pump working like the pump on a firetruck. The sound is similar to the 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that I used to drive... only much louder.
    Along with this, the second row seats are lousy. I placed my 4 yr olds booster back there and I now have to drive all crunched up in the driver's seat just to give her leg room. With the infant seat behind the passenger seat, there's no room for a front passenger to sit comfortably either. For such a big truck, it's small inside... size suffering from the useless third row.

I honestly don't know how Jeep is selling these things. I'm not an SUV hater... we have an 06 Acura MDX at home. It has WAY more get up and go power, drinks much less fuel and is WAY more comfortable.
    I swore off Jeep when the 99 cherokee moved out, and this has just solidified my feelings on that matter.

Good luck to those who have purchased these things.... and safe driving.
  • laylavlaylav Member Posts: 2
    I just stumbled upon this website...and tonight I bought a 2006 Commander 5.7 Hemi. I knew it wouldnt be great gas milage, but I thought it would be sticker. Im expecting in November, and went from my bugg to the commander...safety is numero uno.
    But $ is #2. Is there anything we can add to the gas to increase performance? A certain level or type of fuel? ANYTHING to make the situation just a bit better? Any thoughts would be much appriciated.
    Did I make a bad choice???
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to visit Fuel and Oil Additives.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ksearsksears Member Posts: 1
    I too have an 06 Commander with the 5.7L Hemi. The only thing I can suggest for getting better fuel mileage is to make sure you use 5-20w oil. We have MDS (multi-displacement system) which means you only run on 4 cylinders when at highway speeds. If you are not using that particular weight of oil, it can deactivate that capability. Personally, I am hesitant to add anything to my fuel or put a chip in it. Usually causes more problems that anything. 91 octane is preferred but you won't get any better fuel mileage than if you run 87 so stick with that cause it's usually cheaper. Hope this helps.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Commander drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• amwaycommanderamwaycommander Member Posts: 1
    I own a 06 Commander Hemi. It rocks. My main issue with it is that my foot seems to hit the area above the break and gas pedal. I have messed around with the electronic controls but nothing seems to work. I'm not Shaquille O'Neil over here, my foot is only a 9.5.

Has anyone else had trouble with the the space above the gas/break pedals?
  • ZebraJaxZebraJax Member Posts: 2
    I don't have any trouble with foot space or leg room. In fact, my commander has more head room than the new Tahoe. My head actually hits the ceiling on the Tahoe if the seat is not down ALL THE WAY!
    I presently have a an 05 Tahoe that I like but it is getting lots of mile so I bought the Commander to basicly take it's place. In comparrison to the Tahoe,, It is sligtly smaller in width, not enough to be a problem. It is slightly shorter inside, which is not a problem in the front seat, but can be in the back seat. The rear seat does not remove like the tahoe, so there is a raised area, and the cargo area is much smaller that the Tahoe, I guess this is my biggerst complaint. The fuel millange is about 13.5 average where the Tahoe is a little over 16.
    As far as the drive and handeling, the Commander has it over the Tahoe hands down. At road speeds of 70, it is far more stable. The 4x4 system on my is the QDii and it is full time, and far superior to the Tahoe. It is full time 4x4, and you can not spin one wheel, even on gravel or ice.
    I am not too fond of the lower MPG, but it does have more HP and it also has full time 4x4, which is going to eat some fuel. All and all, considering that the Commander fully loaded cost less than 2/3 of a Tahoe, I am very happy.
  • k2sb2003k2sb2003 Member Posts: 1
    To be 100% fair im a huge jeep fan but ive always owned explorers and living in chicago i am no stranger to bad weather. lets be honest to eachother and say that jack [non-permissible content removed] was probably driving over his head and landed in a ditch. im glad to hear you jeep did so well im currently looking for one my self but dont be fooled the explorers are very capable vehicles especially when equipped with AdvanceTrac and ControlTrac.
  • sstaddiesstaddie Member Posts: 5
    For the past month my 06 commander head lights decide to turn on and off when they please. Along with the control panel lights dimming and brightening on their own. Not going over any bumps, does it whenever, no matter if heat, radio etc are on or off. Took it to the dealer, which on the way there lights were blinking like crazy. they drove it and nothing. Cant find anything. Then it did it again this morning. This is a problem since we will be driving from AK to PA here in a month. I need info on this and any mechanic I take it to are stumped! Anyone else having issues?

Stacey
  • itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    If you are still available: gas cap on jeep commander was loose (not the three clicks, someone else filled for me the last two times), so i am thinking that is why the Malfunction Indicator Light went on this morning; the commander has 42k on it and i have had problems with it prior to its hitting 36k.

called chrysler today and crystal said that - i told her gas cap had been loose and i filled with ultra premium but light was still on - she explained that 'several typical driving cycles' would = about 50miles and that if light remains on after 50 miles, bring it to service center.

other than the light, the commander is driving well enough. since purchasing used at a local Westport-Norwalk Jeep Dealer (who failed to file warranty papers at time of purchase thus leaving me without a warranty) i have put another $6k into the car, bad brakes, bad tires, new starter, leaking fuel, transmission and power steering lines, etc., i .e., i am hoping that the loose gas cap really could have brought on this light and that 50 miles of driving will cure it.

any insights?
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    Here I am once again and for the last time, it will be the end of making comments in this column. After my previous write up here (especially about STARTING PROBLEM FOR 6 TIMES!), unplugging the battery with the newly installed quick release clamps, the Jeep Commander (2008 – Sport 4WD - 6cyl.- 42K miles) started without hesitation at first try, but it took 12 hours before it came back to normal, I drove it for two days and it was fine. So all along I thought the problem was just minimal and was relieved of my headaches. We went shopping to a Walmart Store one weekend and parked the Jeep for 2 hours on a parking lot, unfortunately, it did not start again. No cranking, no sound nor click on the hood, just a faint humming sound underneath the front passenger seat, is it the computer or MAP? We got stuck up for 3 long hours waiting for a towing service with flatbed just to get my truck dumped on my driveway. I inquired the tow truck driver how many Jeep Commander he had towed, and the reply was “countless”, and advised us to trade-it-in immediately ‘coz it’s a scrap.
    Again, I disconnected the ground pole of the battery and surprisingly, it started the following day. It’s really so unpredictable.., so it was time again to visit the Jeep “fortune teller” for the fourth time. He checked on the battery and was good (2 month old, I had it replaced thinking it was the problem), checked on the starter, it was cranking. Plugged it to a computer module, and he says no problem at all. Then here comes the fortune telling: The gas I was using might have a higher octane, or the gas cap was not closed properly, or the sub woofer was not well installed. He tried to use my spare key fob and still does not start. After consuming 5 cups of free coffee inside the Jeep dealership and 4 hours of endless waiting, it started once again and the “fortune teller” says nothing is wrong. Yeah, right. My warranty was still enforced. But what about the guy also waiting for his ‘06 Commander being “fixed”? His warranty expired and was very worried of the many parts to be replaced.
    I left the Jeep Dealer in a hurry and without any second thought, I proceeded to another dealer to negotiate a trade-in right away. Comment of the dealer across the street? The Jeep Commander is a JUNK!
    NOW I KNOW WHAT A JEEP IS, THAT IS WHY I NOW DRIVE A 4 RUNNER!!!
    Whew… What a great sigh of relief !!!
    Note to all Prospective Jeep Commander Buyers…”THINK countless times first & check out for NEGATIVE REVIEWS, before you buy it to avoid this worst nightmare that I EVER had”.
  • iamsbackiamsback Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought a jeep commander 08 silver; your post was very insightful. I was just wondering about the dealership you traded your commander at, was it in the whittier area suburb of los angeles? Cause I don't want to be driving that old Jeep of yours.

Thanks.
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    Hi iamsback! You don't have to worry 'coz it's still parked at the Dealership here in Chicago waiting for the lucky ???? person to buy it. Anyway, goodluck on your Jeep Commander & hope you won't experience the worst nightmare we ever had. If you also have some more issues about Jeep Commander, please post them so that people would know.