Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• bshef1bshef1 Member Posts: 11
    about the spray-in liner because everytime I pull up my non-skid rubber bed liner there is water present from condensation after washing the AV. You make a good point! However, I don't believe the AV's entire box is composite...the floor of the bed is metal. I was thinkig that the spray-in would save the floor from eventually rusting from the moisture. I have not looked at the area where the midgate meets the floor or how it may be affected by any spray-in. Thanks for the thought and I'll keep you posted if I make any changes!

Brad in SoCal
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Rust will only occur if there is a breakdown in the paint. Remove rubber pad and wax it once or twice a year with some high quality polymer Like Klasse or Zaino. They will help prevent rust by coating the paint.

I would be afraid the spray in liner would have an impact on the drainage system Chevy has designed in the bed.

Just wash and wax 2-4 times a year and I bet it will not rust!. Thats what I plan on doing. Preventive maintenance is well worth it when it comes to your pain as well as your engine!
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    Am I the only one concerned about rough usage of the AV's bed? I agree that washing and waxing will probably keep the paint from rusting but don't think it will protect the bed's finish from shoveling and such. Does anyone know how well the rhino and other spray-ins hold up to this type usage?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Only thing that would stand up to that kind of abuse is a drop in liner.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Doesnt protect against a shovel?

I have thrown showels in the back of my truck and my liner has held up fine.
    Ever used it? doh!!
    yes i have used it to unload mulch back this past spring. Got a load from the city (go and pick up your own) Shoveled it in and out. No gouging or other problems
  • chevyusa1chevyusa1 Member Posts: 5
    Everyone seems to be so concerned about the moisture under the rubber cargo mat. From what I've been reading this happens mostly after the truck is washed. My suggestion would be to simply remove the rubber mat when washing the truck and allow the bed to dry after the wash is complete, then reinstall the rubber mat. To me it sounds like a simple solution to correct the moisture problem. By the way, I'm going to the dealer today to shop for a Red Avalanche Z-71, wish me luck.
  • jimboyngjimboyng Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a metallic blue Avalanche fully loaded and would like to post a few comments. I am happy overall with the style and performance, but the price is a little high, around 38, but with 4.9 financing the payments are not that bad, course I am single and live with my grandparents. I traded my 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab to purchase the Avalanche and have noticed some differences. The avalanche does not have a tape deck, nor a key cut off switch for the front passenger air bag. With a price tag that high I felt these features should have been available. Also, pertaining the bed and the so called "water tightness" I have a leak on the drivers side at the mid gate, with small amounts coming into the main cabin. The rest of the bed has maintained a good seal, just the really bad leak below the window. The pluses I like about it are the sunroof, the OnStar which I upgraded to Premium and use everyday,if not lost just to have someone to talk to, the mercury dimming rear view mirror and side mirror on drivers side, the sunroof(a big plus), and the way it drives, almost like a Caddie. Guess if I was grading this vehicle i would give it a B+ on its report card. Just curious if any others out there that have purchased this vehicle have a leak like the one I described. Please email @jimboyng@aol.com
  • allononallonon Member Posts: 14
    I've noticed a lot of the Manufacturers are going away from Tape Decks. In of itself that doesn't annoy me since the only thing I use The deck for is a cassette adapter for my MP3 player. The thing I wish is that would have the stock head units fitted with an aux in that you can get to without ripping the dash apart.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    If the vehicle has a back seat they don't install an air bag switch,that why my lowly Sonoma has one.Cost $12,000 new.
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    I guess no one was bright enough at GM to think that you may need to haul a load with the midgate down and still have to take the baby along. What this does for my family is now I must 'plan' to use the midgate in advance, so that I do not have to take my daughter along. So much for spontenaenty [sp?] like the commercial, but hey, the target market for this vehicle wasn't single 20 something's, was it?
    I agree with you gerrik, they should have left the key cut-off switch on the Avalanche. I have a young nephew who still rides in the car seat, but if I am hauling stuff with the mid gate down, he cannot ride in the front passenger seat, due to the potential danger of deployment if something where to happen.
  • glfwebglfweb Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a Sunset Orange off road and convenience package version. Instead of red, take a look at the Sunset Orange. I had a black one on order, saw this one come in and took it. Also, Chevy has 0% financing for 36 months! I had not intention of a car loan but, hey, it is their money for free.

I have not experienced any leaks. Water under the rubber mat is considered "normal". I guess some have expected absolutely none, but they are quite clear that there can be condensation under the mat and in heavy storms or car wash, water can come in but is guided under the mat.

Give Chevy/Gm credit, they have done a heck of a job with this vehicle. The midgate works like a charm. The instruction book can be followed by an impatient idiot like me. The ride is very good. My only fear now is that this will turn into the "got to have car" of all the yup types around me. Well, maybe they will stay away from Sunset Orange
    I went to the dealer today to look at the Avalanche and 2500HD. Didn't get chance to drive either one (got to the dealer just before there were closing). Going back Monday to drive both. I do have a couple of comments.

The Avalanche seems like a very solid truck and fit and finish seemed great especially for a first year vehicle. One problem might be looking out the rearview mirror. The truck seems so big in the back it seems as though you could easily not see a car behing you. Anyone who owns one have any problems?

The 2500HD is nice but doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the Avalanche. Also, I understand there is a problem with the pistons on some of the 6.0 V8s when starting the truck. The dealer said some have the problem with a loud knocking noise during start up and GM is coming out with revised pistons for replacement. Great, but I don't think I want to spend 36-38k on a truck that may or may not need the pistons replaced. The 8.1 V8 is too much engine for my needs and I'm not spending $4,800 for the diesel.

The Av fits my needs and I liked the Z71 they had with the sunroof, leather, etc. The problem is the price, sooo expensive. I usually Smartbuy my vehicles since I only keep them for 2-3 years. The dealer said they didn't have any great Smartbuy deals right now but that could change next week. I like to know if anyone out there did a Smartbuy or lease on their Av and if they got a good deal. Anyway, sorry for the long message and any advice is welcome.

See ya!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Dodunk NY, 2500 av 8.1 (no allie), Hard
    cover,4:10, posi, plow prep pkg....
    Gold colored (not pewter),2500 alloys..
    Sticker $37800............Nice Rig.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Had no idea the bug guard was soooo involved. Apparently once the guard is installed the deflected air wreaks havoc with the weathestriping on the windsheild. Therefore after you install the guard you then have to remove the previously mentioned weatherstriping and put down some double-sided tape to keep the strips from chattering like a teenage girl with a private phone line.
    Not a majorly BIG deal although I can't see your average owner attempting this procedure without the proper tools.
    The Guard fits really nice and the instructions are pretty clear.
    The mud flaps are a MUST HAVE!! Not that they do a whole lot but they Look really kewl. They repeat the same Jurassic park pattern that the cladding has. I found it easier to install by 1st removing each tire.
    Brad in SoCal
    The water leak that I have is not just under the mat, that is ok. The water is coming in under the mid gate into the main cabin behind the rear passenger seats and my carpet is getting wet which = mildew in the long run.
  • eczmmteczmmt Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a 1500AV and was concerned about towing a 5500lb boat.

Have any of you done some serious towing with this truck? How did it handle? Any concerns?
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Have towed my 4500 lb boat & trailer many a mile now. Tows the boat great, although I was disappointed with the mileage. Maybe 80 to 85 MPH had something to do with poorer mileage?

Also used the AV last Sunday to pick up a (7) shank ripper that fits our farm tractor. Used a twin axle trailer that weights 1800 lbs and the ripper weighed in around 3700 lbs. The AV towed both in style and comfort. Logged just short of 500 miles (1/2 with empty trailer) to get the ripper and averaged 15 MPG. I've had no concerns towing with this rig. Handles great and seems to have enough power to level the hills. Takes just a touch longer to get to highway speed than I'd like, but I didn't want to go to the 2500 for the larger engine.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    jimboy - we have had no leaks in the bed, let alone the cab. Get the thing looked at and fixed before you have the mildew.

Towing - have pulled 4000# - effortless combined with the smooth ride. Limited rear visibility and the tall bed take some getting used to when positoning for hookup.
    I drove the family out to the lake and around a marina yesterday. I swear I had 3 people flag me to stop like I was on fire. All they wanted was to see it up close and check it out. Well after the 3rd person the kids and wife were getting pissed. I love it!

No leaks! No problems! The ultimate vehicle for me. Probably a keeper till it dies of canceror some other terrible disease. I plan on replacing it in 3 years when I get to 100k but I will keep it for chores and such.

I WANT THE BRUSH GUARD BAD.

Bshefmire where di you buy the mud flaps and how much? How do they install? Drilling etc?
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    ...online from gmpartsdirect.com or you can get them directly from your dealer. gmpartsdirect.com IS a dealer(Flow Chevrolet)that just happens to cater to people online. The part number are...

Splashguards 12497727 $25.20
    Front molded splash guards with bowtie logo
    Splashguards 12497728 $25.20
    Rear molded splashguards with bowtie logo
    Plus shipping which is about $10.00
    Takes about a week to get UPS.

The install is pretty basic> 4 screws for each mud-flap. I found it easier to remove the tires and pre-drill the holes (don't overtighten, just snug em up).

The bug deflector is "really nice" but the install is a bit more involved.

Glad your having fun with your new rig!

Brad in SoCal
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    "My only fear now is that this will turn into the "got to have car" of all the yup types around me. Well, maybe they will stay away from Sunset Orange"

I don't think you have anything to worry about there. No self respecting yuppie would buy this ugly beast. You're worried that someone would choose this over say a BMW?

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Never happen.
  • robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    Well I had my first leak in the midgate.... The problem is that it took a pressure washer 3 feet away to cause the "few" drops that got through. Even those were contained in the plastic cover/channel right inside (you need to lift the midgate flip cover to access it). If you are getting water in greater than that get it fixed.

BTW, never haul wheat straw and then try and wash it out with a pressure washer!! You would be surprised at how many little places this stuff can get into. Took me over an hour to cleanup that mess. Other than that I love this thing...

Bear
  • eczmmteczmmt Member Posts: 2
    showme1 and timfarn do you have and AV with a 3.73 or a 4.10 axle.
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Mine is 2wdr, Z-66 with 3.73 axle. Roger
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I don't think anyone has to worry about too many AVs on the road. I just drove from NJ out to the Amish country in PA for a extended weekend camping trip. Four days and 400 miles later, I saw a total of ONE Av during my entire journey. Except for the 4 AVs I saw on a Chevy lot, all of which were 4WD and front bucket seats. The Av I did see on the road was red, which I thought was pretty sharp looking. At the dealer, they had blue, green, pewter and white. Too many good color decisions!

One of the reasons I'd like to buy an Av is because it is different. I don't want to have a vehicle that everyone and their brother has. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to have people flagging me down so they can check out my truck either! :)
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    really want is to meet somebody that would drive such an ugly vehicle? Were any of them in an Aztek?
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    Buff Whalen Chevy in Sterling heights Michigan has over 200 aves in stock. 1/3 of thier new car lot is aves. They have every color and option combo you can think of. If I could get past the cladding I might buy one. I usually by a vehicle and strip it of all the extra to help clean up the looks, I don't think I could remove enough pieces in this case.
    Z71 with the 3.73 - I don't plan on towing over 5-6000#. Towing at 2-4000# has not required the use of tow/haul mode.

I laugh at the detractors on this posting. I don't think the Av owners are following the "Computer nerd seeks car guy" thread as a BMW owner might. People are always asking about and complimenting ours. I'm sure most people who don't like the styling are decent and courteous enough to keep their mouth shut and think "to each his own".
    Haven't heard from you for a while. You had worked on the seals on the Av early on - do you see much difference in the final product? It was one of the biggest concerns, and has been answered satisfactorily by many on this thread.

Have you driven the Av? I've said it before, the styling is over the top and takes some getting used to - but to use it daily for the purposes for which it was designed - it has been a complete package that I got accustomed to very quickly. It is comfortable, smooth and adaptable.
    If you took a real close look at who posted that deragatory remark, it was one who the silverado owners already had a run in with under f150rules.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    if you were referring to me. I fully understand the 'to each his own". I do like the idea behind the Av just not the looks. BTW......I have talked to more who don't than who do like the styling of it. Somebody ought to do a survey to get an idea how many "Screw" owners bought it mainly because GM didn't have one.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I'm not asking it to rile anybody's feathers...but why did you buy an AV? I have had a pickup of many sorts for the last 30 years, they have all been short beds. Yes there were times that a long bed would of came in handy but 98% of the time a shorty was fine. There are many fine pickups out there today that are trucks that can do anything that the AV does. Why introduce the problems of a folding midgate. Why not buy a crew cab pickup of sorts or a Suburban and lay down the seats for hauling. Is it because it's a new & radical machine?

I was in the market for a new truck, I trade every 2 or 3 years, I looked at the AV, HD's (1500 & 2500)Crew cabs, Dodge's Quad Cab and ford's Super Crew. Mind you at the time I was driving a Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, which had enough room for your whole extended family. I test drove them all. (the expense of any of these trucks never was a problem) I wanted something that could pull my boat and let me get into the boat ramps that offer little or very crowded parking after launching. My Super Duty wasn't allowing that. That pretty much eliminated the HD's. I didn't even look at the tundras and that line. I wanted the home grown trucks. It was down to the 02's Quad Cab,AV, SCrew. The dodge was tossed out, very uncomfortable rear seat and very restricted on the options you could buy.

This left the AV & the SCrew. The midgate was the problem to me (my opinion)I figure why add problems for the equation, they both ride great. But the midgate was the deciding factor to go with the SuperCrew. If I want to haul 8 foot pieces, they will stick out a bit and I'll cover the exposed parts with a tarp. I can still carry 6 people while doing this, an AV, I would be limited to 3 at the most. True everybody and his neighbor has a SuperCrew, but you can still personalize it. Sorry for the long post, but I was just wondering why you chose the AV over the rest. 02 SCrew XLT,5.4,FX4 Off-Road Pkg,6cd changer,power Moonroof,A.R.E.Cap,everything except leather, Black/Dark Shadow Grey
    "BTW......I have talked to more who don't than who do like the styling of it."

Personally, I haven't met anyone who likes the styling. Maybe I just don't hang with the AV type personality but judging by the very small number of them I see on the road I'm guessing I'm not in the minority on this.

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, just stating my opinion.

BTW-oby, you're completely off base with your assumption. I've never posted under any other name and I don't own an F150.
    This past weekend on a trip i seen a bunch of avalanches.
    First of all, it sounds like your new 02 SCrew is a very nice truck and good luck. Now to my opinion of the Avalanche. I too am currently in the market for a new truck. Since I am a member of a GM family my only choice would be a GM product as I get a very nice discount. This left me with two choices, the 2500HD or the Avalanche. I have decided to purchase an Avalanche Z-71 with all the goodies sunroof, leather, etc.

My decision was simple as I like the versatility and creature comforts the Avalanche provides. I own a home building business and I often need to haul materials from the lumber yard to the job site. In cases when I need to haul some drywall the Av will work extremely well by keeping the material dry in bad weather. Also, I carry 12ft long boards so for me the longer box means the boards don't hang over as much. The storage box also works well for tools and saves room in the bed since a conventional pickup metal storage box eats into the room of a pickup bed. The Av also has plenty of power for my needs. I do not haul any trailers so I didn't feel I needed the 2500HD with the bigger engines. The 5.3 in the Av makes 285hp which is 25hp more than the Ford 5.4. The Z-71 off road package is also nice with the 17" wheel and tire package while providing a smooth ride, something that the 2500HD does not provide. I like a truck I can use for work and also use for comfortable everyday driving. Finally, it came down to the goodies inside. I like the extra room inside and it sure will be nice to have a truck with a sunroof. Again, this is just my opinion but best of luck with your new truck!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I would pick an AV over a bmw ANY day of the week.
    Plus I doubt if my friends would allow me to drive a beemer......in my neck of the woods........a B would stick out like a sore thumb. At least the AV wouldn't be the oddball at the local watering hole. We can spit shine our trucks and fit right in at the local Police Ball.

Sure the country girl might like the beamer at first glance, but when the guy behind the wheel won't take her muddin....he will be thrown over for the guy in the truck.........
    Maybe it has to do with the part of the country you're from. Here in San Diego, CA, population 1.25 million people, I see very few.
    Yeah, I wouldn't take my wife's BMW "muddin."

"I would pick an AV over a bmw ANY day of the week." - To each his/her own I guess.
    I may be in error. Though, the posting styles remain the same. While expressing one's thought on an item remains your choice. I see no benefit of doing it here. Perhaps you do.

In my part of the country, I see very few AVs. But then it could be more due to the sticker than to the vehicle.
    Nice to see you around again

I am from northwest indiana. I seen about a dozen avs on the indiana state tollroad this past sunday

Ryan
    I bought my Avalanche because I wanted a locking bed for all the crap I haul around. I did not want a bed cover that only opens up to 30 degrees.

I love the features some of which are 8 way power seats, sunroof, OnStar, Auto AC, locking center console, Alarm, message display, 17" wheels, removable bed panels, grab handles, steps in rear bumper, exterior lock boxes, strong engine, towing capabilities, sound system, midgate, removable rear window, Plastic cladding to protect against road debris, styling, etc.

I could continue but these some of the things I like.
  • bossman2bossman2 Member Posts: 1
    The AV fits my needs better than the other options. I like to snowmobile & atv, the Av allows
    me transport 4 adults in comfort with a separate
    location for riding gear,fuel,oil,tools. The only
    other vehicle that can meet these needs is a CC
    and that would be overkill for what my needs are.
    I believe the AV is targeted towards the suv owner
    that occasionally needs a pickup box.
    Why do some people monitor and post in the Avalanche forum topic if they don't like the vehicle? I realize it is a free world here, and it is good to get varying opinions. But what's the point in someone coming on this topic to say they don't like the way the Avalanche looks? Why not stay in the forum for the truck that you own and like?
    I must say I love my Avalanche Z66. IT rides better than a Suburban which is what I was gonna buy. I actually like the look call me weird and it is not like the Aztec unless you are blind.

Wait a few years they will all look like the Avalanche.

Anyone check out the Cadilac version? I want the BOSE sound system. I wonder how comlicated that would be? I mean just the speakers, sub and head unit I do not want a CD changer.

Anyone actually see the traction control work yet? I wonder how it is.
    I was looking at an AV at a dealer last Sunday. The tailgate was unlocked so I was able to investigate the functionality of the hard top up close. As I lifted up the first section of the top, I noticed that the rubber gasket was separating from the plastic and that the adhesive had failed. I remember reading that others have had that problem on their AV. Is this something the dealer will fix and how would the situation be rectified?
    I picked the Av over others because of the right fit for our needs. HDCC was too much truck, and lower fuel economy than I wanted. The Screw did not have the ride or the versatility. The covered, deep bed on the Av is nice. The tonneau cover on my F150 did not come close to sealing, nor did it lock securely.

With the Av, I keep my bowcase in the bed at all times and I can throw in a shotgun or rifle without worrying about it. The Sub or Yukon XL was not a choice since I did not want two dogs in the cab area. I stow my towing and other gear in the storage boxes which keeps the backseat clear and the bed from being cluttered. Fuel economy and power is better than what the '99 F150 had, also.
    We haven't had the problem, but I'm sure the dealer will fix with some weatherstrip adhesive. There were earlier posts, but limited to only a couple of cases.
This discussion has been closed.