Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    .....Is the 31 GALLON GAS TANK. A co-worker of mine has a 2500HD CC with the 6L and his truck (like the rest of the Silverados) only has a 26 gal tank. He has a hard time passing up a gas station.
    Hard-Cover weather-striping separation question from midlifecrisis....I originally posted about the same problem while back. My dealer simply exchanged mine off another AV.
    **"Mod-Alert"** Trenz Co. now offers a Billet Grill for the AV. You can view it on their site. Price is $205+/-

Brad in SoCal
    Brad in SoCal
  • vettefan1vettefan1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an AV last night (Loaded Indigo Z71 - $400 over invoice) and I have a question...

Why did my $1200+ dollar leather interior option still result in rubber floormats??? I know it's standard w/Z71 but I'd like cloth for appearance during non-winter months. Can they be bought and if so how much? I figure the non-Z71 w/leather would have cloth mats...how do they look???...Hows the quality???
  • basicbluesbasicblues Member Posts: 9
    Very close to purchasing a AV. Anyone one who has any last minute advice would be appreciated. I have not research price in this area nor do I know anything about the 0.0% financing now available. Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    http://www.shakeitoff.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Pictures&file=index&do=showpic&pid=10

Looks pretty nice

Also it seems like alot of avalanche owners are joining http://www.gm-trucks.com

Check it out place for good info

• seamusthedogseamusthedog Member Posts: 21
    In the Seattle area (you didn't list your area)it appears that you can get a price around invoice +/- with some dealers advertising certain models well under invoice. The financing specials from GMAC is on 2002 models is:

0.0% for 36 months
    2.9% for 48 months
    4.9% for 60 months

The only complaints that I have heard about on the AV is to check the weather stripping on the hard bed cover as some have bad adheasive.

Good luck in your new truck. I plan on buying one in the near future.
  • bshef1bshef1 Member Posts: 11
    I'll sell you mine for $50K. 2wd 1500 pewter Z66 Loaded.
    You will not find a better deal anywhere. Once in a life-time offer.

You better start doing some homework or your going to get raped!
    Email me if your interested in my offer?
    Bra in SoCal
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    What was that post all about? $50K? What are you talking about?

And it's not a good idea to use the "r" word,especially when talking about vehicle shopping. Some women I know are very sensitive about that term.
    I just don't understand how someone can say they are really close to purchasing a vehicle and they have no idea of the cost, or what kind of financing they are looking at.
    Poor attempt at Sarcasm!

Thousand pardons!

Brad
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Whats with GM and disasters, Avalanche (MSRP over 30 grand lots of room to negotiate ?) next a Buick Blizzard ? Chevy like a rock about sums it up. Rob Fruth http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth/
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Where did that come from? Another poster with lots of research backing thoughts/opinion.
  • ziks30ziks30 Member Posts: 3
    How about the web address for Trenz Co. ?
    Thanks.
  • bcollisonbcollison Member Posts: 24
  • bcollisonbcollison Member Posts: 24
    Can Chevy or GM for that matter make a vehicle that doesn't look like a JC Whitney makeover? Why can't Chevy make a truck that isn't all skwenty eyed? Why would you want a converible truck after you just hauled a load of firewood or dirt? Doesn't fit my needs at least. Just curious.
    Ford F-150 Subercab 4X4
    5.4L SOHC V-8, 3.55LS, 17"Wheels and Tires
    one common saying

"if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all"
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    But I dont see why Chevy took such a risk with the Avalanche styling. I can understand doing it when you're adding a new offering to a market that already has a whole bunch of vehicles just like yours, but there's really nothing like the avalanche. I personally think a face lifted silverado front fascia and no cladding would have been the way to go.
  • dgardgar Member Posts: 10
    I am seriously considering replacing my big block 'burb' with an AV 2500 2WD, 4.10 ratio locking differential. will have to tow a 12,000 lb. boat on ocasion but unlike the Suburban I will have to drive it everyday to work. My concern would be fuel milage. I would expect to get 12-14 average. (not when towing of course)Hopefully a little more on the hwy. Does anyone have any experience with this engine/rear end combo?
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    And see what they've been saying about the 8.1, cause the 8.1 Avalanche is just out so I dont know if too many people have them yet, but Ive been hearing 9-11 mpg on the 3/4 and 1-ton Silvarados with the 8.1.
  • gopackers1gopackers1 Member Posts: 2
    The front floor mats in Graphite #12496997
    The rear floor mats in graphite #12497003

These are nothing special. Though they are cut to fit the floor.
    Go to gmpartsdirect.com for pricing.
  • jefishjefish Member Posts: 10
    bshefmire:
    "**"Mod-Alert"** Trenz Co. now offers a Billet Grill for the AV. You can view it on their site. Price is $205+/-"

I've been up to the site and can't find anything for the Av. Did they take it down?
  • avalanche1avalanche1 Member Posts: 5
    I have followed the Avalanche for some time. Next summer I will purchase either the Avalanche or LT Silverado. Recently, the Silverado had a $2,500 rebate compared to zero for the Avalanche in the Seattle area. That figures out to an additional $5,000 more for the Av than a comparibly equipped LT Silverado. As much as I like the Avalanche, the Silverado is a much better value. Also, the three piece locking hard cover is available on the Silverado as an accessory for about $400 I think. Something to thing about for those who try to figure out "bang for the buck" when buying a vehicle. If the Avalanche and Silverado have similar rebates when I buy next year my decision will be easy and I'll own the Avalanche. The largest rebates in the Seattle market usually run August to labor day. My guess is there will be rebates on the Avalanche next year as supplies increase. I have driven both vehicles. GM can be proud. Last but not least, lets keep our troops who are in harms way in our prayers.
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    About a year ago, I had decided to buy a Supercrew 4X4 F150; in fact I had put down a deposit on a King Ranch version at my local Ford dealer. It happened that an auto show was in town the same weekend and they - not having one in stock - recommended I go see one at the show. Took the opportunity and did like the King Ranch Supercrew BUT unfortunately for them and Ford I also happened to see an Avalanche being exhibited and was so taken with its looks and features I canceled my order and waited a year for the Avalanches to become available. I found the Avalanche to be so "buttugly" that it was attractive. Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder!
    The avalanche currently has a factory to dealer rebate of $500 that runs through Jan. 15, 2002.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    they got "buttugly" from? I've seen many really attractive butts!!
    tx - From the guy in front of you at the football game with the two-sizes-too-small jeans and the exposed hairy crack? That is definitely NOT the Av.

Av1 - Comparing the Av to the Silverado is apples to oranges. What would it take to put four full doors on a Siverado with full size seating? An HD CC! Take the truck that fits your needs. Value comes in when it meets the needs at a price you're comfortable with.
    Sorry for not responding.... I've been away for couple days!

I just went to the trenz site and did a cursory search for the AV grill without any results. I know they have it available, only their site is not real user friendly. The next step is to contact them via email (from their site) and wait for a response. I am really not interested in spending $200+/- on a billet grill. I think my $$ can be better spent on other mods.

Brad in SoCal
  • basicbluesbasicblues Member Posts: 9
    I appreciate all your responses on these pages. I've read them all and found them valuable. I was just merely bouncing a message to see who would respond. The kind of information I was looking for was something like when you look behind the rubber molding at the top of the door and cab is their rust there? I seen a few that have. I also was wondering if anyone knew about the PVC problem and the engine using oil. I noticed at least one engine failure on these boards and I've talked to a local owner who put several quarts of oil in his before GM discovered the problem. I didn't know if this was a on-going thing or something that has been corrected. I've actually known about this vehicle for a quite a while. Contacted Chevy before it was on their website in broken images and signed on the receive updates as they became available. They sent me 3 of the "hot wheels" type toy avalanches made by maisto (all 3 were red). But now I am a owner and ready to gather all the information I can from other AV owners. Thanks to all, having a great time just reading and learning.
    the 'hot wheels". I ordered the info. via the website, which is how some said they received the 'hot wheels" but I haven't gotten any. Seems like it's been quite awhile.
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Since 00 have been on the Silverado Board reading
    comments. After yesterday afternoon (not planned)
    brought a AV North Face 4x4. Went with the 0% deal

Keeping the Silverado for another family member to
    drive while waiting for a new T-Bird.

Guess have 4 chevys now!!!!
  • jefishjefish Member Posts: 10
    1) When I hit the high beams on my Av, the low beams and fog lights turn off. I've noticed that you can partially pull in the high beam lever (passing lights) and all 4 headlights stay on (fog lights turn off). If you haven't tried this yet on a dark road, give it a shot. It's WAY brighter than the high beams alone. Is there a relay that I can switch out to make this the default?

2) I'd like the fog lights to come on with the headlights every time. It's annoying to have to turn them on all the time. No, they're not necessary for normal driving, but they add a bit of light right in front of the hood. Plus, I think the truck looks better with all 4 lit up.

Any ideas? #1 especially? Thanks.
  • scottyn42000scottyn42000 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my AV for a month now, and love it. I have a question that I have yet to get an answer I feel comfortable with. When I start the vehicle(usually warm starts) I get a knock noise right before the engine starts up. I have read some posts about GM engines possibly having this problem--should I be worried or is this a trait of a Chevy engine? The dealer says it is nothing and is normal. I have the 5.3L.
    According to information on the North Face,
    suppose to come with some bags. Where are
    they, do I need to call the dealership back
    or do they come later ??????
    From the all the post that I've read it appears that the engine knock is from a build up of carbon on top of the piston and until the engine warms a bit and expands the carbon will hit the cylinder head. GM is coming out with new pistons around the first of the year but will only be replacing them on a complaint basis.
    The North Face should have come with bags, I read another post (don't know where) that someone else didn't get their bags also and the dealer was going to have the factory ship them.
  • shawsvaleshawsvale Member Posts: 4
    Before I bought my Avalanche I owned a 1999 GMC Sierra, which has the same 5.3L engine. It had a knock at start up that went away after it warmed up. I started using synthetic oil and the knock went away. I plan to use synthetic oil after my next oil change in my Avalanche too.
  • scottyn42000scottyn42000 Member Posts: 4
    The bags should be in the back of the vehicle. When I bought my Av, and was looking at the North Face I jokingly was asking about the bags, and what would happen if the bags ended up missing. My salesman told me flat that Chevy was charging the dealerships $1k if they ended up missing and had to get new ones. I decided against the North Face overall-loved the seats, just wish they were in a different color.
    I looked in every compartment for those bags
    Zip, Nada.

Salesman said oh we have them here and you can
    get them - Monday. ???? Why didn't they just
    put them in the vehicle Thursday, now a trip
    back into town.

The seat were what sold me on the North Face.
    Test drove a white one which was ok, than
    looked at a Sunset Orange but the orange and
    green seat - I don't know. Finally saw a sage
    green metallic which liked. It was still
    wrapped in plastic and had .9 miles showing.
    Can say got a fresh one.
    I have been looking at the 2WD Av for a couple of months. I was curious about one thing. How would the 2WD Av handle in the snow and bad weather? Is it as light in the rear as a regular pickup? Or is it different because it is based on a Suburban chassis? Will the Z66 package make it tolerable in the snow? Or should I be saving up more money for the 4WD version? I have friends who own pickups that are horrible in the snow unless you load up the bed with weight.
    on the lot yesterday and found the package interesting. You get the OFF-ROAD suspension and ON-ROAD (I assume larger than stock) tires. Along with the bags and some other trim items of course.
    I am just guessing that the AV will handle similar to the 2wd Suburban with one addition....it's heavier than the Sub. Not sure of the diff in wheel base between the two.
    I am eagerly awaiting K&N FIPK for the AV. K&N emailed me they will have a kit available next month.

Brad in SoCal
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    When I took delivery on my Northface all four of the bags were in the truck and were just as advertised! They come in a surprisingly small box.

There did seem to be some concern about their delivery to the customer - a notice was included in the box requesting that it be sent to the dealer verifying that I had received the bags.

Here's to the rest of you new Northface Av owners that you'll have similar good luck in receiving the bags.
    should snow be a problem, 2WD or 4WD? Midlife, if you know anyone with a loaded 2WD Sub or Yukon XL, ask them about driving in snow. Fully equipped Subs should be close to the same weight and weight distribution. The wheelbase is identical to the Av.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Last night in the Orlando area I saw a Cadillac "Avalanche" with Michigan manufacturer's plates. It was black -- all black. All of the parts on the Chevy that are grey cladding are smooth painted plastic on the Caddy (not just painted-over cladding). There is also no cut-out on the rear bumper for a step, as on the Avalanche. Other than that, it just looks like a (very) rich man's toy. Who's gonna take this thing on the farm, or even to Home Depot?
    Can't say I know anyone who has a 2WD Burban or Yukon XL, nor have I ever seen one on the dealer's lot. I was shocked over the weekend when I saw a 2WD Chevy Trailblazer at a local dealer!

How much help is the limited slip differential while driving on snowy roads? Or is it something more useful when stuck in ruts? How does it differ from the old posi-traction on rear wheel drive cars?
    The front end using the torsion bars? I hate the "stink-bug" look. Would love to get it level with the torsion bars. I am also interested in getting larger tires on the stock 17" rims and would like to hear what anyone else has done already.
    If anyone has done the torsion lift, how many turns, size of wrench, etc,etc.....

Thanks
    Brad in SoCal
    on my silverado

18mm socket

I cranked mine up 5 turns and got about an inch.

Make sure you leave some thread on the bolt and dont max it out

Ryan
  • zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    During a recent visit to 3 dealerships to look at the Av, lifted the bed mat on 5 different units and found moisture underneath. Nobody could explain what that is all about (tonneau covers were all in place).

Anyone have any information on what appears to be a wide spread problem?

Thanks...

Zderf
    What tires did you finally end up installing on
    your truck. Know had quite a discussion on
    the silverado board.

Just curious as to what comes on the AV 4x4.
    P265/70R17 Goodyear Wranglers. know you went
    larger.
    LT285/75/R16
This discussion has been closed.