Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Modifications

dandanmandandanman Member Posts: 1
I just recently bought a 1992 Honda Accord Sedan EX.
I would like to upgrade this car a bit, however i am new at this and dont even know where to start.

I want to upgrade horsepower and engine performance.

Please post some good upgrades with full names and maybe some web sites so i can see the products.

Your help will be greatly appriciated, Thank you.

-Dan

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    You have a generation 4 Honda accord ( 90-93) doe searches on 1992 or generation 4 Honda Accord on the internet look for performance, upgrades, modifications.

The best upgrades:

(1) Cold air intake 10-15 hp
    (2) Headers 5-10 hp
    (3) cat-back exhaust 5-8 hp

You can also repalce pistons, camshaft, etc. but then you are looking at lots of $$$

You might want to look at sawy bars, suspension , shocks.

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Those are good starters. Also keep in mind that his suggestion for suspension upgrades is worthwhile, because sometimes you can go faster without adding any HP at all! Some track racers say that superior brakes and supsension is worth at least 50HP on the track.
  • msobwmsobw Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Accord EX Sedan. One of my few gripes are the tiny wheels (and the LED display on the radio during the day, but that's another topic). I'd like to upgrade to a wider/larger tire. What is optimum size/width so the tires look good in proportion to the body? Do I have to buy brand new rims, too? I'd like to be able to use the stock rims (new ones are nice but expensive!!!) and only pay for the new tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You might post your question here to the rep from the Tire Rack who runs a forum here at Edmunds:

Ask Conner at the Tire Rack.

However, once you get an answer, I'd work with a tire shop you trust locally to actually agree to fit your new tires and then check them carefully for clearance before you buy them.

A wide tire might LOOK like it fits but when you corner hard, the body roll could cause contact with the fender wells.

So if I were you I wouldn't push the size thing too far---a theoretical fit may not be an actual fit. Give yourself some slack.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I agree with you that the factory tire and rim combo looks disproportionately small on the gen 7 Accord since Honda "thickened" the body (the gen 6 Accord looks slimmer in comparison but is only 0.7 inch shorter and 0.2 inch lower). Blame it on the current "design language" of sedans.

To your point, some food for thought: 1) Keeping the 16" rim and upsizing the tire will have minimal visual effect because it's mostly the rim that draws the eye, 2) Upsizing - or increasing the diameter of - only the tire will have some effect on drivability and odometer reading (tire size is tied to transmission gear ratios/odometer/etc).

My recommendation is to go "plus 1" with a 17" rim and 215/50/17 or 235/45/17 tires. Rolling diameter of those sizes is very near stock, and if it matters - the tires have as long a treadlife as the 16 inchers (treadlife plunges starting with 18 inchers). Price-wise, they start at $80 each online. On the rims, stay within +48 to +55 mm of offset to avoid fender rubbing. Lastly, so much the better if the rim is under 19 lbs - heavier rims accelerate drivetrain and suspension wear & tear.
  • 36willys36willys Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Accord 4 cylinder 5 speed and would like to know if it is possible to install OEM automatic traction control in the car. I really enjoy the car but it is pathetic in the snow during the winter months (with the tires that I am running). I am sure that there is a way to programme the ECM to brake the spinning wheel when traction is lost at low speeds. The car has ABS so I feel that ATC should be possible. Any info on the subject would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Peter
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and easier to get some decent snow tires?
  • cash2cash2 Member Posts: 4
    How much are

1. Headers
    2. All Cold Air Intake
    3. Cat-back Exhaust

for a 1992 Honda Accord

and does anyone have pictures of these things?
    This site will give you an idea and photos of similar products, but I don't know these people and I'm not recommending you buy from them.

Autosportz Website

MrShiftright
    Co-Host
  • 36willys36willys Member Posts: 2
    Usually ATC is strictly a function of programming in the ECM. I am not well versed in the programming capability of a Honda car. I am just looking to make an improvement in the handling of my car. This is what is know as "hot rodding" Cheap and easy didn't enter my mind.
    Peter
  • turbodude84turbodude84 Member Posts: 26
    turbo might be what you looking for..
  • metalman1265metalman1265 Member Posts: 5
    97 honda accord 2.2 vtec:
    done a few minor upgrades intake, throttle body spacer, and high flow fuel injectors wondering if anybody has heard anything about JET performance modules. And looking to dump some money into it this summer and wondering if anyone knows about a descent, low budget turbo kit?
    My personal feeling is turbo. There a few good kits out there. There is T-25 kit out there that ok in price and they make ok power about 60-80 horse on avg.
    The T3/T4 kits are a better choice to me. they can make from 80-200 horse over stock, but you will pay much more for them.. Be careful on your selection. E-bay is not a good way to go. Granted its the cheap way to go. I get calls all the time can I fix there turbo that bought on ebay or the most one I get "will I warranty my turbo" Ah NO you didn't get from me.. Just be careful on where and who you buy from..
    Later Derek
    thanks for the suggestions. I've been researching turbo upgrades for a while and the t25 is in my price range. I was also wonderin what you know about performance chips. I've heard good things. If you have any suggestions let me know
    The problem with the chips are ever time you change something on the motor you will have to change your chip setting and if you get a chip that you cant adjust, then you would have to buy a new chip... I love the Apex-i V-tec air fuel controller. this piggie back computer can adjust your air/fuel ratio and adjust your v-tech. Which means that you can move your v-tec to different rpm, like if v-tec comes in a 7000 rpm, you could move it to 6000 rpm so you would get a little kick early.. Plus if you buy a the V-AFCII you will not have to buy much more for the fuel system if you get boosted.. E-mail me if you need any help one on one help..

Later Derek

PS If you need help on a turbo kit or need info on a company PLEASE let me know.
    turbodude-
    thanks man. I appreciate your advice. I'm still not sure what im gonna do to my accord but if you have any other ideas it would be great. I have a descent knowledge of mechanics because I've been doing work on cars for quite a while, but im not real knowledgable about turbos and ECU's. I was looking at different T-25 turbo packages and I found a more affordable package at www.tasautoparts.com but it didnt have an intercooler included in the kit. I thougth that was strange considering its common knowledge that cold dense air is more efficient. In your opinion what hp gain would that have in comparison to the same T-25 kit w/ an intercooler? Sorry to ask so many questions but if you have any opinions on cam, throttlebody, or exhaust upgrades let me know. I havent been able to put as much $ in my car as I want so I was planning to put on headers and exhaust but I really want to invest in something that will give me a large hp gain. College is expensive so $ is the limiting factor as always. Not many people slap a turbo on their car before they free up their exhaust but bare w/ me I'm poor haha.
    No problem dude.. I wont waste my time with a header yet if you might turbo your car. that would be waste of your money. Yea that sucks that some company do that, put a kit together with out an intercooler. Well that how they suck you in. I know I am not able to plug my company but I have a complete kit in T25 trim and T3/T4 hybrid Kits that include intercooler and fuel controllers. Hopefully this wont get booted.. Later Derek
    you've been a lot of help. I dont know the rules about advertising your company on this forum, but if you have a website or catalog let me know because if and when i decide to blow my savings on my car I would be happy to give you business.
    thanks a lot man
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's try not to skate too close to our no-solicitation rule (which is in place to avoid having the forum fill with ads that may or may not be related to the topic at hand, among other reasons). Check the Rules of the Road link above for more.

If a member doesn't mind being contacted, they can mark their email public in their profile and you can click on the member name to get to the profile and get the contact info.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
    i understand. I didn't know the rules.
    No problem, just an effort to keep the noise level down. It's pretty easy to figure out the good guys to try to send business to around here, especially when the one hit shill posts get weeded out. Carry on!

Although we may be redundant and maybe we should merge this with Honda Accord Owners: Accessories & Modifications. But y'all may not consider yanking seat belt chimes your kind of mod. ;)

Steve, Host
  • kellyalanawkellyalanaw Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2005 Accord EXL Coupe and I am planning on getting new tires and wheels. I went to look in person today to discuss the negative variables in uprgrading sizes. I want 20's, and while there are special wheels/tires made to fit 20's on an Accord he said if I do alot of driving then it is not a good idea. He said that the actual tire part is so thin in part with how it fits with the car, that it is like a rubberband. He said the bigger the tires, the more problems there will be and the ride will be bumpier. He suggested that the highest size I go is 18".
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    kellyalanaw:

Putting larger (or smaller) diameter replacement tires/wheels on any car will cause you to see incorrect odometer (total miles) and speedometer (miles per hour) readings. The vehicle manufacturer calibrates meter readings based upon the outside diameter of the tires that they specify. Of course the outside diameter X pi (3.14159265) = the circumference of the tire. The number of times that a specific circumference tire rotates per mile of driving relates directly to the speed and distance travelled as displayed on the odometer and speedometer.

If Honda specified 205R16 tires for your vehicle, if you go to an 18" or 20" wheel, and the outside dimeter of the tire is larger than as originally equipped, that's not good. Your tires will roll fewer revolutions per driven mile. Your speedometer will display a lower than accurate speed, and you could be risking getting speeding tickets if you don't mentally compensate for the variance.
    Larger wheels and tires will increase your braking distance considerably, so be prepared to adjust for that as well. You will lose about 10 feet of stopping distance (not sure if it's from 60 or 80 mph) for every 1" diameter of tire or wheel increase. This is good to know in case there is a truck 60 feet away and you were planning to stop in 59 feet like in the old days
    How does this sound instead of getting a kit I am thinking about getting a 1.5-3 inch extention pipe and then putting a K&N cone filter on it and it would work almost exactally the same? and Does the K&N oil filter work better than others? Has anyone heard of or used any Lucas products?
    cash2:

I owned two MGB's a long time ago. The English cars of the day came with many made-in-England Lucas electrical components.

You may be aware that the English are fond of warm beer. It's not that they actually like it that way, it's just the Lucas refrigerators.

Actually, I really enjoyed those MGBs.
    The lucas products I am talking about is Oil and fuel additive not beer.
  • arctic_catarctic_cat Member Posts: 3
    Hi, guys.

I am considering a Honda Accord (manual), and the only thing I feel uneasy about is its breaking (as compared with my current & past cars--Audis). I bought two Honda Accords----one after the other----in the early '90s, and loved everything about them ~except~ the brakes. I'm not saying they're ~awful~ (like those in some cars I testdrove), but when I compared them with BMW and Audi, the difference was stunning.

I know that the case would be rare when we might need stop-on-the-dime breaks, but it is just that single rare case (in which maybe a life would be saved or not) that I'd rather pay a hefty sum more for my car to stop a few feet (or several feet!) shorter.

So, has anyone done anything mechanically to improve the breaking on their Accord?
    I meant ~~braking~~ (not 'breaking`). LOL...must have been thinking of the Audi's number of _breakdowns_ compared to the Accord's rare ones. ;-)
    arctic cat:

I can't imagine a vehicle that brakes any better than my 2004 Accord Coupe. I think that you will find that any modern vehicle, with four-wheel disk anti-lock brakes will brake perfectly for anybody who is not on a racetrack.

The most variable factors in stopping distances will probably be the type and condition of your tires.
    We're fluent in chat typo around here; plus the spell checker wouldn't have caught that anyway.

But didn't you mean grrrrr? LOL

Steve, Host
    Blane, maybe I need to actually _test-drive_ one of these newer models like yours.

Has anyone else looked at why the braking distance for BMW & Audi is shorter than Honda Accord's?

P.S. to host Steevster: LOL.... Artic cats purrrrrrrr. :-)
    arctic cat:

The harder the rubber compoud of a tire tread is, the longer the stopping distance will be. I believe that Accord sedans use a harder compound Michelin tire for longer tread life than do the Coupes that use the softer compound Bridgestones that may be intended for superior handling and less road noise.
  • mikenycmikenyc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Accord LX-V6 and was wondering whether it was possible to install an in-dash after-market navigation system and if it was worth it or not money wise?
    mikenyc:

Don't even think about installing an in-dash aftermarket navigation system. Honda's OEM system is probably the best one on the market, except for the enhanced version in the new Acura RL.

Your only realistic choice is one of the Magellin or Garmin hang-on units.
    What does everyone think about K&N filters?
  • derekb77derekb77 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the door assembly for a 2005 Accord so i can replace the front door speakers? Does anyone know if i can fit 6 1/2 inch after-market speakers there? Also can someone direct me to other useful Honda Accord enthusiast websites? Thanks in advance.
    Hi derekb77!

Welcome to the Forums.

Looks like you posted in the Speed Shop Forum and you really need to be in Sedans.

Here's a very active topic on the Honda Accord that I'm sure you will find useful:

Honda Accord: Problems and Solutions

Regarding referral to other automotive websites, please don't ask members to do that, as it is a violation of our terms of use here. If you don't find the information you need with the link I gave you, post your question again in the "Ask the Hosts" topic on the News & Views board. You can find any of the boards easily by using the "Browse by Board" feature that you'll see on the left hand side of any page you are on, in the Forums.

thanks
    MrShiftright
    Co-Host
    Speed Shop
  • chameleonicchameleonic Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a place where I can get a turbo kit for my 2004 Accord EX V6?
  • kirakipkirakip Member Posts: 1
    I have a new CD player that I want to install into my 97 Honda Accord. I attempted it last night, but was unable to un-clip the plastic trim that goes around the stereo and shifter... therefore I was unable to get to the stereo. It looks like I have to take apart the whole center column in order to get the trim piece to come out, in order to get to the stereo to replace with the new CD player I have. Ae there any tricks/procedures that I should know about before I go way overboard and dismantel the whole interrior of my new car just so that I camn install a CD player! Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated, as I am going to attempt it again tonight when I get out of work.... hope to hear some sugestions by then so I have a little more guidance. :confuse:
    Hi, and welcome to the Edmunds Forums!

Looks like you've posted in the wrong place. This board is for performance modifications.

Probably the best place for your post would be here:

Honda Accord: Accessories

thank you

MrShiftright
    Co-Host
    Speed Shop
  • turtle975turtle975 Member Posts: 2
    Switch to Performance Friction brake pads. You can get them at autozone. I used to work in both the R&D and QA departments at PFC. These are the best brake pads I have ever used. You will want to brake hard five to eight times after you install them. 40mph to zero as hard as you can, back on the gas right away. Change your brake fluid every two or three years too. All brake pads are not equal. There are many aspects to good pads. One is how much the effective coefficient of friction changes with temperature, pressure, and speed. You want these to be as linear as possible. Bad or just OK pads will grab as you increase the pressure. Good ones will slow down a little when you press the brakes a little, slow down a little more when you press a little more, and so on regardless of how fast you are going or how cold or hot the brakes are.

Someone else said tires are the most important to braking. I disagree. While tires are a critical component, the pads are the most important. You should have both good tires and good brake pads.

Performance Friction pads cost more, but they last longer and are easier on rotors. You should be able to get a set for the front for around $40.

I have a 2000 Accord LX.
    WOW turtle975!

In all of my years of driving, do-it-yourself brake service, and automotive reading, I've never come across advice such as your "You will want to brake hard five to eight times after you install them. 40mph to zero as hard as you can, back on the gas right away."

That is totally contrary to anything I've ever read on the subject of properly breaking in a new set of brake pads.
    Seating your brake pads depends on the manufacturer's recommendations. Some recommend hard stops to bed the pads; others just say to drive moderately for 500 miles.

Brake Pad and Rotor Bed-In Procedures (The Tire Rack)

Steve, Host
    Steve,

That's an interesting link. Thank you, I've learned a bit more about the subject. However, I believe that it would be the rare occasion when the typical car owner brings their vehicle in for brake replacement and are told the specific brand of brake used and the nuances of that manufacturer's brake bed-in procedures.
    A good shop would bed them in for the customer.

Yeah, I believe in the Tooth Fairy too. :)

I did the last set of pads and rotors on my minivan myself and bedded them in per the instructions (several hard stops from ~45mph, iirc).

Steve, Host
    Steve:

I can't help but think that "bedding" brakes that way is like breaking in a brand new engine by flooring the accelerator pedal and going 100 mph for a couple of hours straight.

I'd love to know of a single automobile manufacturer that advises "bedding" brakes the way that it has been discussed in this forum recently (with hard stops). Can you (or anyone else) name ONE?
    lol, great question. This may rank up there with the "change your oil every 3,000 mile" legend - looks good on paper but has no basis in fact sort of thing.

I'll go skim my owner's manuals. Meanwhile, you should ask this over in Stop here! Let's talk about brakes and get some experts opinions.

Maybe we can get Shifty to weigh in here too.

Steve, Host
    Ok, on my '99 Quest, the break-in schedule in my owner's manual says "Avoid hard braking as much as possible" (during the first 1,000 miles).

On my '97 Outback, in the replacementof brake pad and lining section, the manual says "While maintaining a speed of 30 to 40 mph, step on the brake pedal lightly. Repeat this five or more times."

I haven't found the break-in info for the Outback yet.

Still debatable but that sounds more like bedding in than not to me. Back to you. :)

Steve, Host