Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Miata Problems and Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Regular is fine, I didn't even think premium was recommended (definitely not required). It's not unusually high compression or anything like that.

-juice
  • Thanks people. Good to know it doesn't need premium fuel. Gas prices these days are sky rocketing in Canada.

Yes, it is a Canadian manual I have. It does recommend 91 octane for better performance and emissions reasons.

But the car is nearly 10 years old now, so I don't really care about performance nor emissions.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda will be announcing a recall on '06 MX-5's. I do not know the specifics just yet if it is all MX-5's or just some, but it has to do with the driver's air bag.
  • I recently relocated to Michigan, just discovered that my jack and lug wrench are missing from the trunk. I need to replace the tires and need the darn wrench on the locking lug nuts especially. Have cruised the web trying to find one, to no avail, any ideas?????
  • kymikekymike Posts: 115
    Here is one on ebay in Kalamazoo

Miata Jack
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The driver side air bag recall is only for select MX-5's produced between Dec 05 and Feb 06 are effected. I do not know the extent of the defect, or how long it will take to complete the recall. Mazda has not announced that just yet.
  • mkpamkpa Posts: 2
    ? I had a dealer sell me a car with locking lugs. They had a set of "Masters" To Take off the locked lugs as They did not have a key when they traded for it.

Good Luck!
  • I've had my 10thAE to the dealer(where I purchased it used-full warranty) 3 times and tomorrow will be the 4th. My check engine light came on and so far I have replaced the o2, the ignition coil and the pre-cat, plus the car recently got it's 60K from the dealer. After picking car up, drove it for about 20 miles, the light came back on again, it's not the gas cap, and the ignition wires are new from dealer, as is the timing belt, air filer, oil filter, all the stuff that goes with a 60K. Any other suggestions? Oh, and the timing belt is a little noisy, dealer says this will stop as the belt becomes accustomed. Is the dealer full of S___T?
    Do you know what the code was? Cylinder misfire maybe?

Hard to say anything without knowing the codes.

Did that tune-up include new spark plugs?

-juice
  • The rain was really coming down here in Canada today. After parking my Miata in the rain, I found there was water dripping from the edge of the window adjacent to the windshield on both the driver and passenger side. The water landed on the car's carpet after sliding down the two doors. The temperature here was like a roller coaster ride recently, with temperatures dropping to 0 at night and going up to 15 during daytime.

Has anyone had the same problem? Is it a common problem for the Miata, or all convertibles in general?
  • papaipapai Posts: 4
    The check engine light was due to the gas cap not closed tight!!! DUH
  • I own a 99 Miata (55,000 MI) that I have cared for very well. I recently did an oil and filter change prior to a trip from NH to DC. For the first time I used Walmart brand filter and oil 10W30. Perhaps a poor choice. On the trip home after 400 miles of highway speed 65-80 MPH I stopped at a rest area for a break and when I re started the engine there was a loud snap that I mistook for a backfire. I looked around and then drove off. In about 2 miles I started to hear the bearing chatter during acceleration. I looked at the oil gauge and it was at 0. I shut down the engine and coasted to the side. The engine had been running normally prior to the rest stop. It was a little rough after the stop and "backfire". I am having an oil analysis done prior to any mechanical work. does anyone have any thoughts or related experiences that would relate to this failure. I assume that the engine is destroyed. Prior to this incident it ran perfectly with no oil consumption in 3000 mile change interval. Oil pump failure, bad oil/filter, failure of connecting rod lower end bearing cap? I love this car and I am loosing sleep just thinking about this problem. Thanks John
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Did you determine how much oil was left in the engine? Sounds like an oil starvation issue, but of course, no way to know unless a real engine expert disassembles the engine and examines it---and even then he might not come up with a "first" cause. But if it was oil starvation, that's pretty easy to spot.

• Crankcase was at normal level but oil was darker in color. about 700 miles on oil. I have taken a sample for testing.
    Well if you burned out the bearings chances are you had a drastic and sudden drop in oil pressure or a very severe overheat condition.

• I'm not sure when the oil pressure droped. I assume it was when I heard the snap sound on starting however I am always looking at OP gauge and I think I would have seen it.
    Sometimes you can never know until you break the engine apart. I'd sure look at the oil pump for starters.

• Just replaced the starter on my 1994 Miata. At first it made a loud metalic whirling noise (apparently from the starter) and the car started as normal with the noise going away. After that the car did, and continues, to do the same whirling noise but it wont start! Darn! It took forever to change! :mad: Any suggestions! Please! Thanks! :cry:
  • ltlblultlblu Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 10th Anniversary MX-5 Miata that is making popping and groaning noises when I apply the brakes to slow and stop the car. I have taken it to the dealer's service dept. on four different occasions and they are mystified and unable to find the cause. They say it is definitely not the brakes (they've taken them apart, cleaned them, and put them back together) and it's not the shocks. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, were you able to determine the cause and how was it fixed? Please reply as soon as possible as I am leaving on a long trip mid-May and would love to have this resolved before I take off. Thanks!
    Not sure what's causing either problems, but...

With those brakes, could the calipers be seizing up? Do you feel any resistance when you hear the noise? If so I'd replace the calipers ASAP.

-juice
  • I found a news item about 99 Miata engines. Apparently the thrust bearings on many of this years model were not fitted properly and there have been many failures. Mazda has chosen not to recall the units but deal with them on a one at a time basis if the owners complain. If they manage to learn about the built in problem waiting to fail. I have contacted mazda and informed them that I have learned of the problem and await there resolution of my engine failure. We'll see if they still stand behind their product now that they have big brother Ford looking over their shoulder. The dealer had no awareness of this thrust bearing failure problem.
    Must not be too common if the dealer had never heard of it.

Ask aviboy, he's in the CX7 threads and works in a dealership.

-juice
    audia8q is another member that works in a Mazda dealer. They might be good resources to ask.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Thrust bearing failure on the 99 and some 00's is a well known issue. Thought to effect less than 1%. Usually in vehicles with lower miles than yours. When buying a 99/00, you should always check the crankshaft endplay. This is a video on what happens when there is too much crankshaft "slop". http://www.sallerson.org/video/endplay.wmv

Here are the TSB's on it.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/tip_6_99.html
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/tsb014_00r.gif

You'll have to prove to Mazda that it was a thrust bearing failure. They might replace the engine. They have done some out of warranty. I wouldn't count on it though, with a 99 and 50+k. Have a good mechanic who will testify on your behalf check it out, or have the dealer check it out and see if they will get Mazda to cover it. My guess is that the service writer didn't know about the TSB.
  • ltlblultlblu Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input! I assume the dealer checked the calipers, but I ask them to be sure. Also, when the popping noise is really loud, I can feel it under the mid-section of the car.
    interesting.

here's some more info on thrust bearing failure and how it manifests itself:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/eb50331.htm

• Has anyone used the two bags set up for the trunk and how is that?
  • dagmarackdagmarack Posts: 3
    Hi everyone
    I have recently moved from North to South and my 94 Miata (120 000 miles) seems to keep up just fine, except that I am now hearing a noise, pretty much all the time while driving, like an airplane. Kind of a howling or like the noise I heard, when a big truck is passing me on the highway. I had my oil changed and switched to high mileage oil as recommended by Jiffy Lupe. Could this maybe be a reason? Or what else could the noise indicate is broken or going to break? :mad:
    Also, now that I will be living in the Florida for the summer I would also need to have my A/C repaired… I guess it’s broken, never really used it before… is this an expensive matter?
    Thanks for everyone’s time and thanks to the brains behind this website, its been a great help. :D :D :D
    Try to narrow it down a bit. Does it only happen at certain speeds? Coasting or only when you're on the throttle? When it's cold or only when warmed up? Do outside temps or humidity have any effect, or is it all the time? Is it speed-dependent?

What about when you are parked, idling? If so, you could ask someone to pop the hood and try to trace it to the source. Could be a loose intake or something simple like that.

-juice
    OK, now I'll bring up an issue of my own. Mine is a '93, just 60k miles, probably time for a throttle body service/fuel system clean up.

Basically when I get on the gas, I feel a slight stutter/hesitation, it tends to happen at low rpm, only when I'm accelerating. It's fine coasting or at high rpm.

Our 626 did this and it was a dirty fuel system, time to pony up for the same thing on my Miata? Opinions please?

-juice
This discussion has been closed.