Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi RS4

Comments

• esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    When I said "CLs" I meant the CL TWO-door coupe, not the swoopy CLS. It was CL plural- just to let you know.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Ummm... okay, think what you want. You never mentioned that there was one RS model in America- you just stated that there has been one RS model. Period.

Why would I need to? Don't we live in America?

Motorsport, by the way, does not produce a lot of cars as you stated- for some reason, I haven't seen an M3 in awhile. Not to say I see AMGs every day- but I definitely am more impressed when I see an RS or S Audi then seeing an AMG Mercedes-Benz.

Just because you haven't seen an M3 doesn't mean anything esf! I see M3s every day especially in Naperville. Ok so you're more impressed with seeing a S/RS Audi, I am too regarding the RS6, not the S4 which really doesn't stand out compared to all dressed up S-Line A4.

Completely off topic: it's a bit sad how Lexus is America's most popular luxury manufacturer. There are just too many Lexuses!!!

There is a group of people on the HELM board that would complete disagree with that! Lexus can't be and exclusive brand when most of their models cost less than 50K and their two best sellers are based on a Camry platform.

Another off-topic: merc, read my post in the E-Class room. I read the Insideline article, and was so impressed that I was almost prompted to put down a deposit on the E350 4Matic with the Sport Package and AirMatic suspension.

Gasp! Heading over there right now!

M
    I'll bet you some people in the AMG CLs, SLs and S-Classes do want to row their own gears- in the ultimate luxury. A small minority of them, at least.

Yeah and some people would like a 1000hp for 35K. I can't see anyone wanting to row their own gears in a S-Class no matter what the model. Ditto for the S8 or any other larger German sedan. Now the Maser Quattroporte is a different story.

By the way, I didn't just do "guesswork" for the specs on the new Audi R8. Plenty of the specs have been released- not guessed -in the latest magazines. I know the R8 will have an aluminum spaceframe, quattro AWD, and an optional V10; I know what it will look like, and I know it will have a relatively luxurious interior- Audi never lets us down in that respect.

Yeah its called glancing at the Lamborghini Gallardo's specs and the LeManns Concept. I don't remember saying that you pulled anything about the R8 out of thing air esf. We all know what you've stated about the R8.

M
    I think that it's good luck for Lexus to base cars on the Camry platform... it's a bit spooky: all the cars that are based on the Camry in the Toyota Group are the respective brand's best-selling models:

RX/ES (IS and GS are on a different platform)

Camry/Avalon/Sienna (the Avalon isn't quite that popular)

Any Scions? I'm guessing the xA and xB are based on the Camry.

Kind of odd, no? I guess it's quite good to have Camry genes.

Yesterday, I saw the new ES- it's nicer looking than the old one by a long shot, but it's still nothing really special. I'm sure it's satisfying to drive, what with it's 270hp.

When I go to "Streets of Tomorrow" with my sun in June, we're going to be first in line to be driven in the RS4! Can't wait! merc, I'm sure you're going too? You wouldn't be in the RS4 room if you weren't!
    There are no Scions based on the Camry platform.

You and I differ on the new ES I guess. The car is tall and slab sided to the point of looking like something from Pokeman to me. Very ugly. I'm sure it drives nice for people who like that sort of ride though.

Actually I hadn't heard about any Audi events, Streets of Tomorrow???

M
    Go to:

http://www.audiusa.com/EventUpcomingDetails/0,4360,status-P_eventDropdownDate-Ap- - ril%2B2006_eventDropdownCallingPage-eventSearch_eventDropdownTab-U_eventId-52208- - _eventDropdownCategoryId-3_eventDropdownStateId-0_,00.html?referringPage=Home-Se- - c_Feature

This has all the info on "Streets of Tomorrow". I'm surprised you haven't heard of it- it's been publicized all over the web.

What it really is is that Audi comes to most of the major cities in the U.S. (including Chicago), and they let anyone who comes drive all the cars you'd like, including the Q7. But, you can only be driven by a proffesional driver in the RS4- and there was a 2-hour wait for the car at Los Angeles! There is supposedly a luxurious waiting area when you're waiting for test-drives, equipped with a Bang & Olufsen sound system. There was also an S8 in the main room of the Los Angeles event, (and an R8 LeMans racer) which you could sit inside of (I read a post from someone who went to it).
    Also- I never said I liked the new ES. I just said it looks better than the last generation.

I saw another GL today on the road, and I must say it looks a bit better in person, though I'm still not sold on the rear end design and cheap-looking cladding.

Also, I'm sure when you see the new ES on the street you'll think it looks marginally better than you do now.
    Ok, I'll check it out.

Ahh...you like the GL a little better in person. :D

I'm afraid I've seen the new ES on the street several times, its too slab sided and ill-proportioned. Not to beat a dead horse but to say it looks better than before doesn't say much considering how ugly that car was.

The Audi dealer here must be having something this weekend he has a big tent going up and what looked like a big "Quattro" banner waiting to be put up.

M
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Back on topic...

Saw the RS4 in person. Simply an incredible looking vehicle. Somewhat understaded, yet it has that "bulged" out profile with the RS4 bodywork. The 19 inch wheels on the RS4 are awesome. Glorious sounds from the 4.2 420hp motor. The exhast note in S mode makes a 911 sound like Bambi.

A few notes from some of the Audi folks. Only 1000 cars each year will be made for the next 3 years.

The best car on the planet for under 75K, IMO!
    I don't think a thousand units is enough. I really wish Audi would bring over the RS4 Cabrio even it were for one year.

M
    It's the bean counters that probably nixed a RS4 cab here in the states. With the time and money it takes to bring any car to the US market, I doubt it makes much financial sense for Audi to have a RS4 cab here. The same with the RS4 Avant. And regular S4 cab sales are quite low to begin with anyway.

But it would be quite a sweet ride, though, and I'd be all for a US spec RS4 Cab.
    Ahhh, I do too...

It would really be nice if I could get a (used) RS4 Cabriolet in 4 or 5 years!

My son went up to me one morning, and said that it wouldn't be sold here. I replied by saying "Well, maybe I can get one from Germany!"

And I was only half kidding- the unbelievable driving experience, killer looks and an interior as comfortable as my S4's would be worth the shipping price.

[I'd take out another mortgage to get one]

:blush:

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330
    5/21/2006 OFFICIAL BELL & ROSS TIMESTAMP: 2:51:44 PM EDT
    Title: to carnut
    Comment: ok fine audi has money, but just a few years ago audi did not have money and volkwagen came to the rescue. Today, volkwagen must lay off 20,000 workers, so audi can not be doing so great. Secondly Audi, does not make the monster profits of toyota, honda or BMW which will make a 4 billion dollar pretax profit this year. BMW net profit 2005 2.239 billion euro, audi 824 million euro, also audi has to turn that money over to its VW owner. If audi was a great as many people claim then they would already had some suv's instead of waiting until 2006 to launch a long wheelbase verison of the vw toureg, called the Q7 in 2006 and having to wait until 2008 for this Q5. I have a passion for automobiles but clearly carnut and other audi fans you know the facts stop kidding yourselves.

There is so much I'd like to say about this comment... it wasn't posted on this website, but here is the link: http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=7438&categoryId=7

I won't tell you the name, but if you'd like to see it, this is the last post on the page, so far as I know.

I am aggrivated, mostly because for some reason, autospies won't allow me to post on their website. I've been trying repeatedly to get a new password e-mailed to me, but I haven't heard from them.

Any help? I wouldn't stop thanking you!
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I wouldn't let it get to me. You will always have hard-core haters that love to stir up trouble. Heck I'm one of those some times. I love to debate and not scared to make jabs. In the long run Audi will be fine. BMW, and Mercedes will zig, and Audi will zag. Yes, Audi is late to the suv party. Big deal. I'm no expert on foreign business law but I doubt that Audi just turns over profits to VW. That's how Enron got in trouble. I don't think Audi is counting on the Q7 to make them huge profits as much as it is looking for a foot in the doorway to middle America. They will continue to make cars built on passion, engineering, and the luxury GT car ideal that it does so well IMO. Most people that hate on Audi are driving Toyotas. This guy is probably lucky to be driving a Kia
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    While I do not know the details of how Audi spends its profit, VW group in general has been suffering from financial troubles for a few years. If not for the German government subsidies that bails out large corporations in trouble, many would have ended up in some serious trouble. At one point, there was even a rumor of foreign take-over of the VW group. German government was criticized by other EU member countries for this practice, especially with regard to the VW group (not that they don't do the same). If not for Porsche's cash, VW could have very well ended up with a new owner and the different brands within the group may have been sold as a piece-meal.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/volkswagen-ceo-warns-of-takeover-possibility-1- 21861.php
    that VW's woes are in question both financially and politically. The most important thing is that Audi is on a steady climb both in the minds of people, and financially.
    Audi is quite profitable and doing very well. So is Lamborghini & Bentley. It's weird how all three higher end brands are doing bang-up business, and the volume seller VW is having reliability and sales issues. VW cant sell 1000 Phaetons here in the states, but Bentley is selling 5,000 units of the GT and sedan @ $150,0000 plus, which is largely a Phaeton in the underpinnings. And just for the record, the Q7 only shares 15-20% parts with the T-REG and Porsche.

Audi is on a roll as a company. Their product line is the best it's ever been, and it's arguably stonger than MB and BMW right now. Audi had nearly 16,000 advanced orders for the Q7, and that SUV will do really well for Audi. Also, the new A5 sedan will be here late next year as well.
    Also, the new A5 sedan will be here late next year as well.

A5 sedan?????

M
    sorry.... A5 coupe! :)
    Actually, there are quite a few rumors that Audi is going the Mercedes way-- the A5 may be a competitor to both the rumored CLE (cheap CLS-like four-door coupe) and the CLK/3 Series convertible, because Audi may offer both a four-door coupe version and a coupe/cabriolet.

The coupe and cabriolet will replace the A4 Cabriolet, with radical (but still elegant) new styling. The A5 saloon (just a rumor, remember) will represent a new model in their lineup. It's odd how they're doing this- why would someone buy an A4 or A6 when they could buy an A5 four-door coupe (unless, of course, it has minimal headroom like the CLS)?

Also, there is an A7 model, which will come in coupe and cabriolet models exclusively. The A7 will have a wide set of competition, ranging from the Mercedes-Benz CLK to the CL, with the 6 Series, Jaguar XK and SL550 ranging in between. It will be a four seater, unlike the SL, and its closest competitors should be the 6 and XK.
    I just got back from Audi's Streets of tommorow event in Dallas.
    The event was at South Fork ranch where they filmed "Dallas" the tv show some years ago. Nice place.
    Audi did this one right. Excellent food, and drink. Great staff, and hosts. Grounds were beautiful. I had some hot laps in the RS4 [as a passenger :mad: ] Anyone who dismisses this car as typical under steering crap is clueless. This car accelerates like a bat out of hell, and turns in nicely with the tail able to slide out just so before the bias turns to the front, and pulls it out of the corner. I had 2 different guys tell me that it lapped the ring quicker than an M5. Unfortunately it was an unofficial lap time for some unknown reason. If Audi fails to get this lap time public it will be one in a long line of marketing blunder IMO.
    The Q7 is very elegant. My only complaint is that the steering feels overly boosted. Other than that it is THE supreme luxury SUV IMO. I'm sure the bone headed auto journalists will declare the BMW better after taking it on the track vs said bimmer. As if soccer Mom's are mad with anticipation for an SUV that they can hot lap in LOL.
    The S8 was just for looking, but it looked like it was ready to kick someone in the mouth just sitting there. Awesome, period, end of story.
    Also interesting was talking to one of the advertising executives that works with Audi. Their frustration runs on boil due to VW sucking up most of Audi's profits to band- aid their issues. They do hope to again do more of these driving events in the fall.
    As far as future models go, no diesel Q7 for US, doubtful of the A5 making it to US, direct injection will not likely hit the S4 until the body style change in 08 as an 09 model.
    I hope this helps....
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Sorry you had to post your SOT here rather than the SOT thread itself. Sounds like you had a much better location than the overcrowded, constricted downtown LA location Audi got stuck with here in Los Angeles. There I got a little of that frustration from the A3 Product manager (about VW holding them back, restricting what they can get hold of, etc.). Maybe next time Audi visits LA they can use Hollywood Park or some other location more suitable to sport driving!

One thing I did not get, sadly, was a real sense of Audi trying to improve the after sales customer experience. The Audi dealers I have found locally have short hours, no weekend service. I don't know if this is because they can't sell enough/make enough to justify/pay for extra service hours. Once Audi reliability gets up to that of Toyota (or at least out of the Euro swamp VW and Mercedes are still stuck in) service avability won't be so important.
    Yeah I agree, I think Audi feels very tied up by VW and that even extends to how much they are willing to take it on the chin regarding customer service. Just a hunch but I feel like Audi understands this but VW can't afford it. It is a top down culture type of thing. IOW, if the heads of VW/Audi were pushing better customer service, it would trickle down to the dealers. I bet that when Lexus does meetings, and communications with dealers it harps on the importance of customer service, and probably threatens to restrict, or deny dealers a license to sell it's product who get bad marks for this. It's a top down culture that needs to be created IMO.
    Yeah the location was great. The Q7 was driven on streets through a very quiet and uncongested neighborhood. There were 2 tracks at a local high school parking lot that Audi shuttled you back and forth from. One for the RS4, one for A3, A4,A6,A8, and some competition [X5,XC90,GX470.} The Lexus had so much body roll when being muscled around the track [not by me as I believe driving a Lexus on a closed course is like taking a spoon to a gun fight.] It looked like a sinking Titanic.
    The track avability sounds excellent. We had congested city streets that with very short drives proved very little (only the Q7 was allowed a decent driving time).

Does VW and Audi attitude seem more for a race car rather than transporation with flair? Do Lotus, Noble and the other niche race cars have similar attitudes "Buy our car, go race, and don't bother us if it breaks"?
    Also an Edmunds editor suggested an RS4 would be an excellent day to day hauler.
    Wouldn't the RS4 be better suited for high speed cruising between cities (lux airplane on wheels)?
    small children due to smallish back seat. But then I'm not going to be hot rodding with my kids in the back. For say a couple and a dog? Yes, excellent. This car rips. Editor in chief Karl on this here website said he'd take lt over the M5 if given a choice right now.
    As far a as attitude, I don't know if that is their attitude but it would be hard for them to justify that thinking while putting out luxury models like the A8, A6,Q7.
    How did Audi do this time around in the '06 report?

Their parent, VW, was third....from the bottom, and worse than in '05.
    ..Audi came in below average. 130 defects per 100 cars.

For comparison: Saturn 129, Merceces 139, VW 171 (3rd from bottom), Porsche 91, Lexus 93, Cadillac 117, BMW 142,
    Chevrolet 124 (industry average)
    Hey, it was better than BMW and Mercedes-Benz!

And people act like BMW doesn't have the same problem...
    Ahh, who cares about reliability on Audi's?
    The main emphasis on 'em is drivability, especially on the Nürburgring (when do we get a Nürburgring freeway system here? Does Audi know something we don't know? ;) )

Edmunds' new review was very positive about the RS4 as a drivers car, BTW. And Audi deserves praise for accomplishing a decent ride with those huge wheels and 35 profile tires! Detriot 3+Dubbers must be green with envy over that!
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I'll second this. Audi dropped some dime on this event. Made the 3er event there last year feel like a Kia event. The funniest thing was almost No one would take a A4 on the Quattro course. The guy kept saying there a case of beer in the trunk ;) . I was surprised they tossed the keys to people without any instruction or a passenger instructor. Id guess my fastest lap was in the hardtop TT with a close second being the A3 2.0T. At least it "felt" quicker than the A3 3.2Q.

DL
  • jim2727jim2727 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone speculate why Audi still does not post the weight and weight distribution of the RS4 on the Audi USA site? I just do not see why this information is so hard to find.

Also, I read a story saying they will only make 1000/year or that might have been 1000/year to the USA. Is Audi that unsure of itself? Maybe they are just trying to let the dealers gouge customers.
    Go grab a car & driver or motor trend magazine. There are tons of TV spots & articles all over the net about the RS4. The Audi website is not going to have every last detail on there.

The RS4 is a very special car. It's made in a totally different production line than regular A4's. The car is actually made by the Quattro GmBH team. Basically the same people that make a large portion of the Gallardo for Lamborghini.

Audi is not unsure of itself. If you know anything about high end cars like the RS4, you would know that low production numbers make the car more special. They're harder to get, if you have one...you're special, and it increases the resale value and mystique of the car.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    RS4 on ebay, starting at less than retail. Buy-it-now price is at retail. What does this mean??
    Somebody is playing an auction game with the RS4 on Ebay, hoping to bid the price up to way-above-retail levels and thus make a large profit.

This has happened to the Ford GT and a number of enthusasist-desired cars.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Don't think so... the "buy-it-now" is at retail. All I'd have to do is click the button, & it would be mine (assuming I had the $$). Also noticed the 25 Anniversary S4 (listed around $62K), is selling on ebay for mid-to-high $50K. Guess the "market" will determine the true value of these cars!!
    The 25 years of Quattro is bad timing for Audi. At 62k, why wouldn't you get an RS4 for 10 grand more?
  • jim2727jim2727 Member Posts: 7
    Weight, to anyone who knows about cars is not a "last detail", it is one the most important aspects of a car. Audi is embarrassed to put the weight on the www site after it spent so much time saying how it was working on lowering the weight of the RS4. I wonder if it would have weighed 4500 lbs if they hadn't ;-).

Audi is either not making any money off these or is unsure of itself. I remember the RS6 fiasco where dealers were stuck with them and ended up sending them all to Colorado...and stopped shipping them to the US. I think this is the reason for the 1000 number. If they blow through these, they will up the numbers, but for now I see this as a "wait and see" tactic.

We'll see in about 6 months if the lots in Colorado are full of these. Maybe I can be special with a EVO X in October 2007.

Cheers!
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    The problem as I see it remains price.

An RS4 at S4 OTD prices would have me down at the dealership today.

IMHO, Audi is overpriced relative to the competition, particularly when you see how fast their resale value falls.

M
    You could even get an RS4 for less than that!

I believe it's just over $70K for the RS4 w/ premium package.
    EXACTLY!

That's what I want! Although I'm not getting a new car for at least three years, I don't want a sedan to replace my convertible, and the RS4 Cabriolet would be the only step-up from the S4 Cabriolet. However, I might just have to live with the next-gen S convertible, probably being called S5 Cabriolet. If it has at least 360hp and comes in Sprint Blue, I'm sold!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330 (soon to be replaced)
  • grntdgrntd Member Posts: 7
    yea it's worth it IMO. i personly hope the audi dominates.
    Plus with all that power at the bmw's wheels, traction would really be on it's side, unlike the audi.
  • grntdgrntd Member Posts: 7
    your wrong, it starts at 68k
  • cmck81cmck81 Member Posts: 2
    Wrong!! You forgot the gas guzzler tax, along with the premium pkge ordered by most dealers the price is 73,450 plus TT&L But that's not the real problem.. The real problem is that the dealers do not have replacement parts for many components on these cars...So when they malfunction it may be 2-3 weeks before a part gets to the tech. to fix your car. I know, mine has been in the shop for 25 days... I have driven the RS4 for 5 days not a good ratio.
    I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I had a '00 A6 2.7T quattro, and had no problems with it.

I have an '05 S4 Cabriolet, and I've had no problems with it, except for a factory defect involving the A/C not working (they gave me a Pontiac loaner, the bastards!).

I have an '06 A3 2.0T DSG as a winter beater, and got it in January. I've had no problems with it.

Four years ago, I bought my then-seventeen-year-old son a '98 A4 1.8T quattro. He had no problems with it except for a minor oil leak. It's complicated how we replaced it- I used it as a winter car for two months, and couldn't bear it with the coffe-can exhaust he slapped on. I replaced it with my fabulous A3 and it only got a $5K resale, all because of his useless add-ons. The A3 is much better performing, stock!

Have I just been lucky, or is it because of the meticulous way I maintain my cars, or both?

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '03.5 Lexus RX330 (soon to be replaced)
    I'm replying to myself.

I won't have to live with the next S5 Cabriolet as a daily driver- I'd either get an S5 Coupe or a 328xi coupe for my winter car (S5 will pretty obviously be faster, and I may still want a familiar Audi over a BMW), and a Porsche Carrera S cabrio for my next daily!

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    You and blkhemi crack me up with all your tough decisions about your next car. I live vicariously through your automotive conundrums.......
  • njrs4njrs4 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a rs4 in june & i am still waiting to take delivery.i can wait to put it to the test the awd audi dogs all its current competitors. awd is a must in the north east i was considering the new m3 till i saw the rs4 & every tom, dick, & harry has a bmw m3 only 800 rs4 in the states makes it kind of special
  • cmck81cmck81 Member Posts: 2
    I dont understand why you would have to wait so long to take delivery of an RS4... I have a blk/blk with all options plus a dealer installed radar detector & jammer. I paid 75K + TTL I would sell you mine for 66K. I've had mine for 2 months and it now has 3500 mi. No wrecks, damage of any kind. never tracked or raced. but I have to tell you beware of electrical glitches, I have mine worked out now but it took several visits to the shop to locate and fix the problem. Plus parts have to be sent from Germany, none in the U.S. to support service. Good Luck with your order.
This discussion has been closed.