Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• cindylou5cindylou5 Member Posts: 5
    Well I searched high and low for a 2007. Finally found it 200 miles away from home. But there it was !!!
    Asking price in August was $55k. We got it for $48k. No negotiations..plus they gave us $1k off for their own incentive bonus programs that they get kicked-down for.

Know nothing about the leases. Just know how long it took me to find a new 2007. I don't care for the 2008's interior at all.
    good luck
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Just put a deposit down local dealer(Beck) .....Jetstream Blue, auto, 3LT, Nav., Competion Grey wheels....54,300 out the door(cash deal)...Could have saved some money going down to Kerbeck, but I would rather purchase the vehicle where I am going to have it serviced....Now the wait begins..He'll know his allocation this month..Worst case scenario i'll take delivery in March-April, I'm in no rush...

Later
  • rlittle1225rlittle1225 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership in Md. did you have your vette shipped to? Is $200 what they charged you? I asking because Keith at Maxi Price told me some dealers charge more.
    Who was your contact person at the Md dealership?
  • carmaxsuxcarmaxsux Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post so please bear with me if I make a gaffo. Also remember this is merely a reporting of my experiences at Carmax, your's may be different (my attorney made me say that... [yes I really have an attorney - this event is not over])

I bought a 2004 Chevy Corvette (C-5) in June of 2007 form the Carmax in Orlando, FL. :lemon:

The salesman said all the right things (e.g. we're different, we'll fix anything within 30 days etc.) Now bear in mind I'm not a stupid person, I hate buying a new car but my SUV was coughing up blood and I had no choice.

I had my own financing - no prob. They added the warranty, but after the low-key pitch it sound like a good deal (beside my last Vette was one mechanical disaster after another - when it was in shape it was a joy, but that was infrequent - sort of a love-hate relationship)

They offered me $150.00 for my SUV and I was happy. Bluebook was $450 but I was fine with it, one less hassle.

The Vette ran great, a few noises here and there, some pulsation with the brakes - but the overall styling had changed so much since my last Vette (13 years ago) I just figured things had changed.

My wife stared telling me about the brakes pulsating and we both noticed clunking and grinding from the rear with high-angle low speed turns.

Before the 30 day "all inclusive warranty" was up I took it in to be looked at by the Carmax "mechanics" in Orlando. I had five (5) problem areas I wanted them to check:

1. Cosmetic defect in the driver's seat fitting into the seat pan (actually identified by the salesman when I bought it who had said "bring it in and we'll fix it - no problem!"

2. Pulsating brakes that pull to left or right - worse with rapid deceleration.

3. Problem with center console opening

4. Problem with "clunking" noise and "grinding" noise with turns

5. Tire pressure sensors inaccurate need re-calibrating.

When I picked it back up later that day I was told nothing was wrong, everything was “within normal limits” and they had lubricated the center console hinge.

Went home – the read end noise got worse.

Finally, on 27 August, I took it to Courtesy Chevrolet across the street from Carmax, also in Orlando. Turns out t he rear noise was a problem Chevy knew about, a service bulletin HAD been issues, the car was still under Chevy warranty (by one day no less) and they fixed it – FREE.

Went home happy.

Pulsating brakes started getting worse and the rear end noise came back. Took it back to Courtesy Chevrolet. – Then the bad part started.

Rear end – under warranty from previous repair – taken care of.

Brakes – disc rotors AND calipers shot x 4 – uneven wear. So bad it would have been clearly visible during the “under warranty” inspection at Carmax earlier when they had written “…checked front brakes for uneven wear – ok… checked front brake pistons and caliper slides for binding – none. No repair required at this time.(sic)”

The icing on the cake was rotors, calipers etc. are not covered by the Carmax warranty.

Contacted the local Carmax head of maintenance department (whose name I cannot mention but if you were to call Carmax Orlando and ask for the direct of maintenance, it would be him. To do him justice, he DID call back and proceeded to try to ream ME for everything being MY fault. I took his verbal harassment and humiliation as I figured it would be a small price to pay for them to pay for the repairs UNTIL I told him I was concerned about my wife driving a unsafe care for two months that should have been fixed when I first brought it in to Carmax. This “gentleman” began to laugh, yes LAUGHED at my concern for my wife’s safety.

I that point I lost my “turn the other cheek” attitude and told him basically to shove Carmax up an opening in his lower body.

Two days later I went to pick up my car (Chevy had to get certain parts mailed in).

The Chevy repair person, God bless his naiveté,, had still been talking with this director of maintenance at Carmax and gleefully informed me Carmax WAS going to pay the bill. The bill was $1053.19 plus the cost of a rent a car for two days. He said he wasn’t sure if Carmax was going to send Courtesy Chevrolet the check or have me pay and then refund me.

The next day, the Chevy repair person, called to say Carmax would be sending me a check and Chevy would charge my credit card.

That was fine. I was happy. I was even reconsidering my evaluation of Carmax – i.e. maybe I had been wrong and they were stepping up to the bat to “do the right thing.”

Today, Saturday, it has been thirteen (13) days since I took my car in for the repairs. Still no check (there never will be) still no apologies, in fact no communication except from the Carmax salesman who apparently naively believes Carmax will “do the right thing”.

Again my experiences may be different from yours, (as my attorney reminded me to write) you might get treated right. The message is BE CAREFUL! Carmax is still just another used car dealership; packed differently, owned by Circuit City (really – look it up) but it’s still the scorpion and frog story.

My suggestion, if you didn’t read the above and still choose to buy a car at Carmax. Choose the car, skip the extended warranty, and – no matter how hard it might be to do this – when you drive the car off the Carmax lot drive it directly to your prearranged service checkup with a local dealership. It may cost a dollar or two but you will know right away what’s wrong and be able to return the car to Carmax within 5 days and get your money back or at least force them to fix your car.

Be careful, don’t make my mistakes. Personally speaking, based solely on my experiences (my attorney talking again) I would/will NEVER buy a car from Carmax again, in fact I would not buy a $10 bill from them if they only wanted $5.

Final Scorecard:

Courtesy Chevrolet Orlando = A+
    Carmax Orlando = F-

Of course your experiences my be different from mine . . .

So what are your experiences?

Michael

• chrmdomechrmdome Member Posts: 107
    Sir:

I have had similar experiences in different areas, however your Carmax experience could be resolved ( since we are talking about $1100 here not $11,000) and basically not much different than other $1100 expenditures, clothes , TV sets etc. It may sound NUTS!! But take a weekend day off , go down to the Carmax sales office and sit down in front of the door with a sign that says " Before dealing with Carmax, see me first " They can't stop you from doing this as long as you are on public property...you are within your rights let them call the police, and don't threaten them. It's not a negative statement, just a statement. Carmax will be out the front door with your check within 15 minutes of your arrival. I've done this twice with results and threatened to do it to a VERY large furniture compnay and they begged me not to, all to my pleasure with quick results. Not many people will do this, it may be a little nutzoid and your family members will kid you... but I got great results. It drives merchants nuts because they can't afford to loose ANY sales. They screwed you, they knew it and not it's time to return the favor.. I'd ask them for $100 more just for your trouble.. They will come around....If you are willing to look a little " nutzoid " Good luck. I'm not an attorney and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but it worked for me. I was at a BMW dealership and the dealership tried to play " dumb ", with a problem that they caused me. I opened the truck and showed them my sign and they got smart very quickly.....

Good luck

Chromedome
  • agile5kagile5k Member Posts: 3
    sorry for the late response.

The dealer in So. MD. is "Jack Winegardner Chevrolet", Indian Head Hwy. MD. This was arranged by Maxi Price of Loganville, GA by Steve T. and I only paid the floor manager a courtesy delivery of $200, as arranged. I was also given a tour of their customizing/detailing shop.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I was watching local inventories for a 2008 that I liked (because I have a hard time ordering and waiting vs. an impulse deal), but ran across a new 2007 vette at the dealer in a color I like that is no longer offered in 2008. Now I have a diIema with a new 2007 in a color I really like or a 2008 with more horsepower and improved exhaust. I heard there is $3K rebate for the 2007, but does anyone have an idea as to what a fair price (reduction from MSRP or reduction from invoice) would be, and where to find or verify information on dealer or consumer money from GM for buying a model year old car?
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Invoice is roughly 10-11% off sticker (not considering holdback) and I believe there are dealers out there doing 10%+ off '08's, so to buy an '07 would be tough to justify unless they went 15k+ off sticker.
    Keep in mind the '07 will be 2 years old in 3-4 months when the '09's hit.
    If you posted some numbers on the MSRP of the '07, I suspect others here would give their opinions also.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the input. The only reason I'm considering the '07 is because I really like the Monterrey Red, and yes, I struggle with buying a year old (soon to be 2 year old) car without a deep discount. The sticker is $64K and they're only $10K off sticker which is not enough for me to justify it so I may go back with a bottom line number based on feedback I get here.......not to mention the trade offer for my current vette won't cut it either.
    What do you think an '01 convertible with 5K miles is worth?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I hear you regarding the MR - my '07 Coupe is that color.
    The new ( Crystal ? ) red is not "close enough" for you?
    Another thing to keep in mind is that both the manual & automatic received sugstantial upgrades for '08.
    As opposed to the '06 to '07 - where there were only the smallest detail changes...
    Your $$s, your call, of course...
    Good luck!
    - Ray
    '07 MR to be for sale this Fall.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    I hear you on the Monty Red. Also loved the previous Mag Red.
    I was very close to pulling the trigger on the new Crystal but it just didn't do it for me when I saw it in real life. It sat next to an Atomic Orange so that became my choice. I'd had 2 previous Yellow Z06's so it was time for a change.
    Obviously the '07 you are looking at is a vert and I agree 10k off is not enough.
    Just saw where Kerbeck is going 9k off on '08 Verts and 8k off on coupes.
    Tough choice for you because of color and if your '01 has only 5k on the clock you will not be putting a ton of miles on the new one so whether it's an '07 or '08 may not be that big of a deal, providing you can buy the '07 for the right price.
    As so value of your '01, I would check some "for sale" sites such as Cars.com or Autotrader.com
    That may at least give you some guidelines.
    Good luck, and keep us posted on your hunt.
  • lawrence39lawrence39 Member Posts: 2
    I just found a new 2007 convertible with a base price of near $54,000. The upgrades are the $4,500 (or close to it) sport package, chrome wheels, upgraded two-tone leather seats, one year of XM radio and onstar . . . total sticker was around $63,650. I have the dealer down to $47,500, which is roughly $16,000 below sticker. I know the car is almost two years old, but this seems like a good deal. Any thoughts?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. You'd have trouble finding a good used 07 Vert with that equipment for so little.
  • lawrence39lawrence39 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Vinny. I took the deal. I was there last September and they wanted $56,500 for the car. I rolled the dice and the car was still there today, and I was able to get the car for $9,000 less than the September price. I couldn't resist, and I figured that the opportunity to get a new (albeit 2007) convertible for roughly $16,000 under sticker was not going to happen again. Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase and that I made the right decision. By the way, although we live in Kentucky, the wife is from NYC!
  • snuff2snuff2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else dealt with Lewis Chevrolet?
    I see their advertisements in the Houston Newspaper all of the time.

Thanks!
    Congratulations! I sold my 05 vert with 12k miles for $49k in 06, so you really got a steal! Enjoy your new baby--I miss mine everyday.
  • drezdrez Member Posts: 1
    Hi Corvette people,,, My experience: I live in MD... used the internet to search hi and low for an excellent car and price ... it took me about a month to zero in on an '06 convertible Blue/Titanium/Storm grey top with 4k miles... price 44.6k ... a program car driven by GM exec... pristine condition, auto, 3LT, Nav, HUD, power top, all original docs and window sticker... My wife and I caught the train to Manhatten early wednesday morning, ate breakfast near Madison Sq Gardens, then a taxi ride into N.J past Giants Stadium... to Bellavia Chevy ... they delivered the goods ... we drove back down the turnpike... excellent experience... this is my 1st vette, an awesome car!!! thanks for reading my post...
    I finally got the '07 Monty red vert, I looked at it and the '08 crystal red side-by-side and my personal preference was the Monty red. Of course the 2 in this color I had previously scouted out at dealers closer to me were already sold (as I wanted to wait until I sold my '01 vert as I'm a little too conservative to own 2 vettes at once......even though it sounds pretty neat) so I had to use GMbuypower to search out more! I found one more within 200 miles of me and it was optioned almost exactly as I'd have ordered it, so after several hours of negotiation I bought it at $14K off sticker. Anyway, I love the car and while I thought my C5 drove so much better than the C4 and C3's I've driven, the C6 is even better.
    I can't remember seeing as many prior model year cars still at dealers this late in the next model year as I've seen this spring, although it appears they're selling several of them lately.
    Finally getting my 05 C6 Vert was like dating the captain of my highschool cheerleading squad without any of the disappointment (sorry, Marissa). My C6 more than lived up to the hype. I had wanted one since before I could even spell "Corvette" and found that it was well worth the wait. I actually looked forward to my miserable commute and found myself sneaking out of the office for quick rides. Two kids later, I miss that car everyday.
  • jsouthjsouth Member Posts: 13
    I have been trying to sell my 2007 LT3 Corvette in the Auto Trader Mag. I have had a few calls from people who seem to be brokers that say they will sell my car and get the price I am asking and just charge a $495.00 price that will be added to the price I am asking. Has anyone out there had any dealings with these people?
    Those people are like locusts! There are many companies doing this now and they call continuously! If you listen to their spiel, they will tell you that they have hundreds of pre-qualified buyers waiting and all that remains is for them to match one to your car. They will intimate that they are a finance company with buyers just waiting to sign. But, they want an up-front payment from you. I tell all of them to call me back when they have a buyer ready to sign the paperwork and I'd be happy to pay them a commission out of proceeds of the sale. Their unanimous response thus far has bee: "That's not how it works. You pay us up front and then we match you with a buyer." Yeah right. I've got a slightly used bridge you might be interested in...

In fairness, perhaps you've found a different breed of company. IF they will accept payment IF/when the deal closes with no other obligation on your part, then why not go with it?
  • revmattrevmatt Member Posts: 14
    We paid $84,000.00 out the door in June 07. It has every option available! Atomic Orange... ($78,000.00 plus tax, license and extended warranty and gap coverage.)
    I always drive the speed limit! Well, 165 is the speed limit somewhere... right? :shades:
  • kimohhkimohh Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone bought a Vette since 1 OCT 08, or are we all holding our breath until GM holds a fire sale?

I wasn't able to pull the trigger before 30 September and figured I'd fall back on the Military Discount pricing (for which I qualify), but lo and behold the Military pricing shot up on 2 OCT right along with the regular pricing...
  • flyboy986flyboy986 Member Posts: 9
    Reality is that the Vette is one of the few cars that GM is still moving due to the buyers normally being somewhat financially secure, with money not being much of an object. Dealers in AZ are dealing in their usual form, but not giving away much other than alot of bull****!

Probably the best you can hope for is a GM Employee discount if you can get someone to share with one with you - I bought my 07 at Les Daniels, and they honored it!!

Good luck!
  • kimohhkimohh Member Posts: 5
    I have continued to watch the local Corvette inventory for the last 2 months, and it hasn't changed much.

Seems like they aren't moving the cars as much as you might think. Employee pricing was a good deal; "Red Tag" supplier pricing not so much...

BTW, I just visited Rick Daniels' website, and there is a message there that says he's unemployed....(hope that's not really true).
    "BTW, I just visited Rick Daniels' website, and there is a message there that says he's unemployed....(hope that's not really true)."

It is true.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • fungus440fungus440 Member Posts: 21
    I'm seriously thinking about getting a Corvette in '10 (have to save some money for it) and I'd like to know the good and the bad about owning one, aside from the fact that it's just a really cool looking car.

I'm not concerned about the purchasing experience because my brother works for a GM dealer, so I'm covered.

Are people thinking you've got money if you're driving one?
    Where don't you drive your Vette because of other drivers (I'm thinking parking lots).
    Do people cut you slack or not because of the car?

Just want some real world do's and don'ts about having one. Thanks.
  • sleep7sleep7 Member Posts: 2
    If so what are people paying? Convertible or coupe
  • debart97debart97 Member Posts: 3
    I looked at a 2007 corvette orange coupe. It has two roofs smoked glass and the factory one. It has 15000 miles and is in showroom condition He also has a extended warranty for 5 years or 72000 miles. Plus other extras. He will take 35000. Is that a good price. Thanks for any advice. RT
  • gearup72gearup72 Member Posts: 13
    I bought a used 2008 corvette with 2,500 miles.

Options include Auto trans, magnetic red, dual mode exhaust, navi, perf axle, F55 magnetic selective ride (get this!).

I paid $41,000.
    Congratulations! Enjoy that sweet ride!
  • scb9119scb9119 Member Posts: 3
    Not sure what i should be paying? Just drove a 2008 base coupe, Victory Red/Black, 6 spd manual, only option is chrome wheels. 2,250 miles. dealer was asking $ 40,995. I offered $ 37,000.00. Car was immaculate. At a Chevy dealer.
    Also drove a 2009 Z06 coupe, 28 miles, Victory Red/Black, 2LT. They are doing supplier pricing, MSRP is 77790, sell for 70381. What are the chances they will go into holdback? Car has been in inventory 230 days, so i imagine the floorplan interest is adding up...

Car was an absolute blast to drive. Only reservation with the Z06 vs. the coupe is the lack of the removable roof.
    MSRP on the car, based on your description, is around $49K. I think you're closer to a decent figure than the dealer is. You might still be able to go down a little further.

There are still a few new, 2008 1LT manuals at dealers. $4K factory to dealer cash, too. Found that out on the the gm.ebay.com site where California dealers are selling GM cars.
    There are 135 2LZ's in Victory Red around the country with various options and interiors. Someone might be more interested to sell a car, although selling at Supplier price is not bad.
  • snuff2snuff2 Member Posts: 2
    If you were going to buy a 2009 or 2010 Coupe Automatic would you definetly spend the money on the LT3?
    Just bot an Arctic White/Black 4LT coupe today....list was $ 59k+, got it for $ 51750, which was about $ 1275 under invoice. I was initially looking at black, but i decided on the white because there really arent too many white C6s around....and the 4LT interior (leather wrapped) looks beautiful. Cant wait....picking it up Monday!
    BTW, this car comes with the dual roof package, and i was wondering if both roof panels store in the car, or do you have to keep one in the garage? I figured both wouldnt fit; but i forgot to ask....
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I bought a 2007, and 3LT was a requirement. I wanted some of the options. You have to buy the package to get them.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Don't totally understand your question. All coupes have brackets in the back to store a top. One panel in place on the top, one panel in the carrier location in the back. But you cannot take both tops off and store in the back.
    Depends on if the equipment you want is on the 3LT package or if you can be happy with the 1LT or 2LT and their respective costs. The 1LT's interior only comes in black and two-thirds of all Corvette coupes built for 2009 have a black interior.
  • rhett78rhett78 Member Posts: 22
    We are all aware of the $4,000 cash incentive or the option of the 0.0% financing. Does anyone have information that GM is giving any marketing support money on the 09 Corvettes? As I peruse various dealer websites, it appears that is still quite a bit of unsold inventory with the 2010 units arriving now.
    Not according to anything I have seen -
    Including the Edmunds 'Current Incentives' page ....
    But the volume dealers [ see Kerbeck ad link below ]
    will sell a 2009 for $10K off MSRP or more...

Good luck!
    - Ray
    Ex-Vette driver...

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/corvette_special_offers
    2022 X3 M40i
  • raa1raa1 Member Posts: 16
    Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Red 2006 Coupe with 28K miles, 1 owner, GM Certified Pre-owned for $28K is this a good deal
    Well, you don't say what the other options are and its trim level, so it might be. Check here or KBB to see what they say.
    My primary concern here would be the automatic trans.
    This was the first year for the A6.
    I bought an 07 w/A6 –
    And I had a rather significant issue.

Although the designation for 06, 07, 08 & 09
    was & remains 6L80, evidence from postings
    on Corvette forums strongly suggest that
    both hardware & software changes [ improvements ]
    have been made to this trans. each model year.

Not suggesting that you buy a newer Corvette,
    [ assuming this 2006 represents what you can afford ]
    just that you may want to pay particular attention
    to the A6 performance in test drives –
    and question any repairs done to the trans.
    that show up on CarFax or other records.

Good luck!

- Ray
    Reformed Corvette driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rhett78rhett78 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Ray...I was hoping that there was something out there that was not in the public domain. I understand there is some incentive money available at the end of the month based on total Corvette sales volume for the individual dealer, but not specifically designated on a individual unit. I have been offered a new 09 3LT 6 speed convertible in a reasonably good color combination of Black/Cashmere at triple net. That may just be all there is in this market...

Just a thought...if any of the new Corvettes are returned at the end of the 60 day money back guarantee program, and as the selling dealer is required to re-purchase them at 67% of MSRP for the 09's and 74% for the 2010 models, that may be a really good purchasing opportunity, don't you agree?
  • kentmagnusonkentmagnuson Member Posts: 4
    Wife and I just got our first Corvette. Is a 2010 LT2 Coupe, Blade Silver, 6 spd manual, all body-color accents, etc., from Harchelroad Motors, Imperial,NE. These folks race Corvettes and build them for special racing venues, so they understand what works, etc. I encourage anyone, first time or seasoned Vette nut, to talk with Sid and hear what they have to offer which may be of help to your needs.
  • raa1raa1 Member Posts: 16
    Hope you enjoy the vette, but I doubt anyone in this country can beat Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City, NJ. They are the #1 Corvette Dealer in the USA, the only place that is second is a dealer in Michigan.