Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Talk about your Corvette shopping experiences here.

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Bought mine in July '03. One of the first '04's produced. My stealer let me use the supplier discount. Sticker price was $47,630. Supplier price was $41,965. Got the extended service plan ($50.00 deduct) for $950.00 (7 years/100,000 miles.) We got a $1000 rebate and $1000 loyality money. We always wanted a Corvette and I knew the body style was changing in '05, so we went for it. Best thing we have ever done. Love the Vette and has only been back for oil changes.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    My buying experience at the local dealer was great but so far my experience with GM's lopsided allocation system is bad.

I have a C6 on order from a smaller dealer and have been waiting for an allocation for 40 days. I currently have no idea if and when my car will be built.

It seems that GM has made a mess out of the allocation system for the C6. There are a handful of big dealers in the US that get the majority of the C6 allocations. So orders from the smaller dealers pound sand while the big guys get all the cars. One dealer in particular has 29! C6s in stock while 100s of orders are sitting in the queue. So GM's answer is extending the 05 production run through September so you can buy a 1 year old new car in Aug or Sep. You don't have to be a math major to see the depreciation hit coming in October when the 06s start landing.

So no surprise (this is America) the big dealers quietly fix prices because they get the majority of the cars. With GM's support the big guys easily stifle competition from the little guys.

As you can imagine a number of serious buyers have given up on the C6 order process and moved on to something else.

So it goes.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I too tried to make a local order for a 2002 Vette in the fall of 2001. The local dealer said they had an allocation and took my $1000 deposit for a car with pricing at $1000 off MSRP. Most other locals were looking for over MSRP and 'might' go as low as MSRP if you spent lots of time groveling. After 2 months the salesman fessed up and said the marketing manager was using their allocations to put cars on the showroom floor that they expected to get MSRP or over. Took my deposit back and found the internet.
    Those large corvette dealers were offering $1500 to $2500 off MSRP at the time and with two emails I had an offer to place an order for a specific factory build date at $2000 under MSRP and no dealer adders. Exactly what I wanted as to color and options, not what the dealer had on the floor. Don't believe everything you hear from local dealers about the allocation system. If the dealer sells a Vette they get another allocation and the way they sell Vettes is to offer the best deal.
    The 2004 Coupe we ordered from the same internet based local dealer in Montana, I'm in the SF bay area, was for the wife. Exactly what she wanted and we got a $51.4k MSRP for $39.2k out the door, $11.2k off with GM and dealer discounts and produced on exactly the day advertised. If the dealer really had an allocation and they were giving it to you, you would be getting your car. They either don't have an allocation and are blowing smoke or aren't giving it to you and are blowing smoke. Your dissatisfaction may just be misplaced.

BTW, the reason that the Montana dealer was willing to just about give away a late 2004 production model was that he knew that it would result in a 2005 allocation on which he would make plenty selling at MSRP or just under, I think he sold most of the first six months at $500 under MSRP. Some people do think ahead, dealers that get small allocations, don't seem to think ahead, they just complain about the system.
    Randy
    I think my dealer has an allocation it is just a question being able to use it. My dealer sold seven C5s last year and should have seven allocations this year. When I placed my order I was told they had one allocation left based upon last years sales. Pretty simple math and planning at this point.

So now 40 days later I don't have a confirmed order and one of the big guys has 29 in stock, with more arriving every week. So I have a hard time blaming the dealer for a lack of planning.

GM and I parted company 22 years ago. The C6 is the first GM vehicle that I have wanted to buy since then. I even sold my Lexus in advance to make room for the C6.

BTW I think the folks in Montana are sold out this year unless they pickup some 05 build out slots in July. They could sell a lot more if GM would give them the cars.

So it goes.
    I still think you are gettin the run around. When K.. at Fichtner said he had an allocation that meant he had a printout with a production week assigned. An allocation is not a waiting game. Either they have an allocation or they don't, and if you aren't getting the car, then they don't. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Edited after reading the red info ...
    I have asked the question on several Corvette forums about when a dealer gets assigned an allocation. I have yet to get a complete and satisfactory answer from anyone. Mr K is on the same forums. Unless nobody wants to share the secret it appears to be a far less scientific process than a simple production schedule.

You have to wonder why GM would let their dealers log orders if they don't have any chance of getting a car. They could easily bounce any order that doesn't plug into the schedule. Instead they assign it an order number and a status code of 1100. Sort of an unethical thing to do if they know the car will never be built?

GM also refuses to answer any questions from customers about orders. They refer you back to the dealer. So a customer has no way to determine if the dealer is being disingenuous.

So I stand by my original statement. The C6 order process is a mess and GM is losing customers as a result.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I live in Chicagoland and have seen small dealers with few C6's available and pushing the ONE on their lot, but the high volume corvette dealers have lots of inventory; and from what I've seen the big guys offer a better price. Why not skip the small dealer, locate the car you want with one of the big dealers (through GM buypower?), have it delivered to your home, and be "running it through the gears tomorrow"?
    Reasonable advice. I have done some buying power searches and haven't found a car that meets my specs. When I do find something close it is loaded to the gills with options like Nav that I don't want. So an order is about the only way it is going to work.

The dealers in my direct area are all small time as far a vettes go and have from 0-2 cars on the lot. They have some local price fixing going on where they have all agreed to hold to MSRP.

So of course I got a good price for my current order and none of the big guys want to play. So at this point I am starting to talk to some brokers.

I think I will probably hang around for another 30 days then pull the plug or roll to an 06. I have already started looking for a replacement. My original thoughts were to get something like a Subaru STI before I started looking at the C6.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    today on I-495 in MA i saw a car carrier loaded with 6 or 7 C6s. drool.
    if/when i can find a dealer who will let me order/buy a 1SA+F55 model at invoice + $1K or less, then i'll go for it.. i'm not holding my breath. maybe next year? 2007? 2008?
    Your best shot for this will probably be in Sept/Oct for an 05 when the 06s start being produced.
    Especially at the intro of the '06 at some of the big internet dealers in the east and midwest if they have stock matching what you want. As teh unload inventory they also are getting another slot in the allocation line for the new model year.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    thanks for the great advice folks!
  • rfisherrfisher Member Posts: 11
    My dealer told me he had an open allocation for a C6. He said he ordered it and GM accepted it the next day. Now I am just waiting for him to tell me the build date (He said he was going to tell me yesterday). I asked him "Since GM accepted the order it is getting built right"? He said, Yes. (Seems like that's always the case when talking with Stealerships.) He told me 2-3 weeks until I will see the car. That seems a little short. Just wondering if anyone else here had this same situation with their dealer and what was the end result.
  • typhon1991typhon1991 Member Posts: 64
    Every Thursday, Chevrolet lets dealerships know what allocation they have and what options are on constraint(Not being built this week). Once the dealer submits the order the following Thursday or Friday the order number will give the TPW(target production week).I believe orders this week have a TPW of 5/23. This means that the car should be built sometime that week. After that allow 2 weeks for it to be delivered to the dealer(Depending on where you live they are built in Bowling Green Ky) I would expect it during the first to second week in June. You are lucky I have a customer who ordered convertible in april of 04 and it was built this week. Enjoy :)
    That is what I thought. It seemed a little unusual that he placed the order on Monday night and GM accepted it Tuseday morning. I hope he is not blowing smoke since this was the General Manager I delt with. I was hoping to get it before May 31 because that is when the Hot Button 1k back ends. Anyone know if any discounts will be offered on the vette after May 31?
    i can guarantee that there will not be any rebates but if the dealer has a VIN and the car is built before May 31 but not yet delivered to the dealer, you can do the paperwork have the dealer report it sold and get the hot button rebate. I have done it many times. If the car is not built by then unfortunately you are S.O.L. You just have to spend 50-60k on a car you have yet to see or drive. I wouldn't worry about it but it can be nerveracking.Good Luck. It is one hell of a machine. ;)
    Ok, thanks for the info. Is there any other way I can verify that the car has actually been accepted by GM (other than what my dealer tells me). I had him fax me the order form with the vehicle order number and all of the options. Does that mean that GM actually accepted the order or is that just something he printed out before sending it to GM?
    VOMS(Vehicle Order Management) is offline for the night. Tomorrow morning I will check the order for you. It will tell me everything about the car color, package, options and the TPW. Hopfully I will have some good news for you. Check back tomorrow.
    Great, thanks Mike!
    with a status code on the order. I don't know them off the top of my head but they
    should have something that will define what the code is at each step of the process. If they won't show you the printout ... I'd be more suspect.
    Randy
    Scored a Silver/Ebony from a dealer this weekend. The config is automatic, 1SB interior, Magnetic Select Ride, dual tops, 3.15 performance rearend, and Nav. MSRP=$53960. Got the car for $49K+$265 for title, docs fee, and 4 years vehicle license (no sales tax in OR); price was also after the hotspot rebate. So the combination of the hotspot rebate, it being the end of the month, and the car having been on the lot for about 60 days motivated the dealer to give me a good price.

I had one on order with another dealer but they never got an allocation. While I was waiting I continued to shop the internet and use GM Buying Power to see what was available in my area. If you know what the current VIN coming off the line is you can calculate about how many days a car has been on a dealer's lot by looking at the VIN number and figuring they build about a 3000 a month. The longer a car has been on the lot the more motivated the dealer will be to move it out.

After two months of fishing I landed this one.

Great deal as well! I talked to several last night at a Corvette Club meeting and a couple new C6 owners found what they wanted with one trying the internet but not getting the color he craved (built out and color change over) and ended up finding one local. The other ordered off the internet and go a couple $K lower price but had to wait for delivery. Both very happy as well. Hope they switch to a lighter blue from the LeMans for the '06 model year, that just might do the trick for me.
    Randy

BTW, are you near Portland International Raceway, hear good things about PIR and I'm betting that they offer performance driving classes just like at Sears Point here, very instructive!
    Thanks, I had originally been set on white because I have two silver cars already; now I have three :-)

I know PIR well. I was lucky enough to be able to race ICSCC and SCCA in the NorthWest for 12 years before I retired from racing. Even made it down to Laguna, Sears, and Thunderhill. I plan on doing a track day in the C6 at some point this summer just to get a feel for what it will do. I also plan on checking out the local Corvette Club in Portland.

This is my first major street car and I sort of feel like I am rolling around in a piece of art work. Really a nice machine.
    There is no chance that GM will get rid of their "Ferrari Blue" (Le Mans), it was their hottest new color. The "electron blue" in past years drove many people away (from blue). I have a Le Mans Coupe w/ cashmere on order (TPW 5/16). Main reason you don't see to many blue ones is b/c of the extra cost paint and they are hard to keep clean, but when they are clean they are AMAZING (as most vetts are). I too, had orders with other dealers, but they never got the allocations. I got lucky on this one, the dealer already had one in the system and he changed the specs to the one I wanted. Martin Chevy in New Carlisle Ohio, good people to work with.
    I saw and LMB in the flesh for the first time last night and it is a great color. Each color seems to have it's own presence. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.
    I was going to take exception to the comment about blues, but I did look it up:
    Yr Number and % of total, EB for '02 and '03

2000 2783 7% for navy blue
    2001 2587 7% for navy blue
    2002 5407 15% of 35,767 third most popular after red and black
    2003 2772 8% of 34, but 33% were anniversary red

2004 6899 20%, commerative edition most popular w/36% of Z06

I knew that EB was much better received than the prior Navy but the commerative edition seems to have taken another step up. I don't think EB turned off many, I still get lots of positive comments and it's a mostly track car, daily driver that isn't always too polished. To me it will be interesting to see if LeMans can keep it's level above what EB did for 2005 without the CE pull. I guess the wife's 2004 MY is the rare one in the garage.

Randy
    What was the real light blue one they had about 2 or 3 years ago? I think it was like "bahama blue" or something. That was the color I was talking about.
    Ah... the Nassau Blue, same as they had, I think, on the late mid-years 66/67 and my all time favorite just ahead of Admiral Blue. Funny thing about being in the AF for a couple years and then doing some work in Colorado Springs several years later. Every spring in CS the new blue Corvettes would show up for the latest Grads from the Academy, wonder how the Admiral Blue fared compared to others when it was released? Did I mention that if I was ever going to get a Corvette it was going to be Blue? Didn't really think it would happen, watch out what you wish for!
    Randy
  • espaespa Member Posts: 4
    I just came back from a local dealership here in upstate NY to negotiate for the only C6 they have on the lot. The best I could get was $500 off MSRP. They stated that these cars usually sell at MSRP or above in upstate NY. I think they may only get one C6 allocated to them and this one has been sitting on the lot for a while. None of the other dealers in the area have any in stick. Is $500 off MSRP a reasonable deal or can I do better shopping around? I wonder if the deal would be better in the fall as we approach snow season here. All advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    It would be $500 plus the 1k rebate for hot button, so a net of $1500. If it has the exact options you want then go for it, but if your looking for something else...then wait. The only way they would deal in the fall is if they actually had cars to deal on. Most vetts that come to dealerships are usually already sold anyway.
    Kerbeck just south of you is, I think, the largest Corvette dealer in the nation. Look them up on the web, I'm betting they have lots more in stock and I'm guessing you can get a better deal. Corvetteforum.com has links to get there and they have specific people who take forum deals, but I'm betting that they also have internet sales support, you might use two names, you and the folks and compare the deals. That is if you want something other than what's available local. I drove mine 1350 miles home to get a better deal and so I didn't have to deal with the 'game' at the local dealers.
    Randy

Interesting, just did a Google on Kerbeck and first link was the dealer. They seem to have lots of Black, Red and a few Silver in stock with Blue on order in Coupes. No Verts in stock which is not surprising, since it didn't get into production until late and there were lots of orders that didn't get filled early on.
  • espaespa Member Posts: 4
    Thanks.
  • mjb8mjb8 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know much about Vettes, but have always wanted one. Saw a 2004 Commemorative (sp?) Z06 with 3000 miles for $43000. What do you folks think, good price? great car?
    Just for comparison from memory, the Coupe was about $51k almost fully loaded, the Z06 was about $6k higher, with sticker starting at about $52 + options, with the CE package about $4k more. So it started about $56k and might have sold as low as $!0k off, but very likely much more. That is a very low miles garage queen and from what I've seen that is a very good price. At the close out I was thinking if I could get a new one for $45k I would have done it, and 3k miles is almost new. Very nice looking ride. Also depends on what you want to do with it and if $4-5k per year drop in value is an issue to you if you drive it or just use it for weekends. Several have said the Z06 is not the touring car that the Coupe is.
    Even though it's a Z06 its still an "old model". I think I would spend the extra 4-5k to get a brand new C6 with 0 miles. I would never buy a used sports car. Unless the guy thats selling it is like 75, he drove it like a rental. I think the C6 is the better play b/c it's about as fast as the old z06 (if not faster) and it's a new body style.
    just wondering if you got your new one yet? If so what do you think? let me know
    Mike :)
    Mike-
    I picked it up last Friday. It is super nice. Thanks for all your help! Maybe we can do some business in the future after I sell this Vette in a few years.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Is it worth the $65+ K Chevrolet is asking?

Especially when compared to '05 Z06?
    It will be worth it to many but do your own analysis. What is more important, $ or HP? What are the other factors that you consider top of the heap? You get 100hp or 25 % more for just under $15-$18k more dollars, say 30% more $, but you also get dry sump and amazing brakes, lighter weight, etc. My issue as noted elsewhere is I don't think everyone who buys one will really be able to truely handle it. The car should come with driving lessons ...
    Now maybe if they did that I might go for it!
    Randy
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Many are already suggesting the market at least at first will pay well over MSRP.

So yeah: to the people who want a super car, it is worth the asking price.
  • pjj14pjj14 Member Posts: 13
    I am considering a 2005 C6 and I would like to know whether anyone can recommend a Washington, D.C.-area dealer. It seems as if very few Chevrolet dealers sell Corvettes. Thanks.
    Try http://www.kerbeck.com/ as they are the largest Corvette dealer in the
    country if you can believe the advertising. I get to them through Corvette Forum
    but I think you would find them easy even with Google. I don't know if there
    are discounts through the Forum. Good luck, wish I could justify unloading
    my C5 with only 43k miles.
    I was at the track over the weekend and rode in a C6 with Z51, 6sp and it was
    a very settled ride even hitting 100's several places on the track. It does hold
    the road better than my Z51 C5 and better power is noticable but just not the
    most economic deal to turn over what I already have. Enjoy the ride and don't
    forget to wave.
    Randy
  • glhendr1glhendr1 Member Posts: 33
    I just bought my 05 C6 from Criswell Chevrolet, Gaitherburg MD. I bypassed several dealership to get my car but I got a good deal. Ken Dixon in Waldorf sells them also but their allocation is low. Hope this helps.
    ">
  • pjj14pjj14 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you. Did you happen to run into a dealer markup called "ADM"? I just visited Koons Chevrolet in Tysons Corner and all of the coupes had a $5000 ADM and all of the convertibles had a $7,500 ADM. This was in addition to the MSRP. I was told that it was the local area dealer mark up and that everyone does it. I'm sure this is not true. Any insight? Thanks.
    Check out corvetteforum. There are several dealers on the east coast that have 05 C6s in stock or inbound and are offering $3K-$4K off MSRP.

There are a ton of new and used C6s forsale on ebay also.

No reason to get jacked around by the ADM game. Just take your business somewhere else.
  • glhendr1glhendr1 Member Posts: 33
    No, I didn't pay any markup. I placed my order with the dealership in mid-May and worked a deal for $2,500 off MSRP. My car arrived on August 1st. I had another dealer on standback (but in Georgia, Maxie Price) who agreed to give me $2,000 off MSRP. I wouldn't pay anything over MSRP if I were you. The problem I think you might have now is that no more orders can be placed for 05 corvettes; so if they don't already have them to sell then they are putting premimums on the ones they do have. Either way, I wouldn't play anything over MSRP.

Also, CARMAX has several used C6 05 for 3 - 5k below MSRP if you want to go that route.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    My Friday paper had a dealer in L-ville advertising an 05 coupe stickered at $54.5 for $51.5. Didn't know the coupes could sticker as high as $54.5 but that is what the ad said. So, as mentioned previously by others, the deals are out there and paying a $5K additional dealer mark-up is a joke. Don't do it. :shades:
  • zirklezirkle Member Posts: 1
    koons was bad in 1991 when i was looking at a zr1 and i found out in may they hadn't changed a bit. what i don't get is that koons ford at sevens corners has a totally different attitude. never bother with koons chev. they give gm a bad rep. i even complained to gm about it.

dudley martin in manassas was friendly and i was told the owner doesn't think adm is right. they offered to order a 2006 for me.

i'm now sour on a corvette because i can't get what i want, the price keeps going up, and its too much hassle.

i just as soon pay 20k more and get a porsche. after all, this is the dc area. a corvette will always only be an overpriced chevrolet! a porsche says the tax payers are feeding you well.
    There is no law that says people have to buy from a local dealer. There are lots of brokers and dealers that offer much better deals with a minimum investment of time required.

Most people in business understand supply and demand. The internet connects you to all the markets in the US. Ebay has 20+ new or slightly used C6s for sale. People don't have to be some local dealer's victim.

At the end of the day the Corvette aficionados that hang around here really don't care what car people end up with. So if some people have neighbors that would be more impressed by a German car then go for it.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    We ordered a 06 convert. yesterday with MSRP $58,870 with a $3170 discount. Delivery is about 8 weeks out.Rec'd the tracking number this morning.