Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

golfczargolfczar Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have recently discovered the Avalance which is
supposed to be in dealers showrooms this fall. So
far the available info. is limited at best.
Thought perhaps some of you might have some insight
and input. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Try next spring 01. Not this fall

Ryan
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    They'll have a production version at the big show in Detroit in January. At least at that time we will see how it looks without all that plastic skirting around it.

Ryan is right though, you won't see them in the showrooms until spring.

At least we have a topic in the right category now. To me its a Truck, not an SUV.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    is a 1500 (1/2 ton) Suburban with an open cargo area and tailgate instead of the enclosed area with the door(s). It features the same wheelbase and will have the 5.3L Vortec as base engine. See the Chevy website /avalanche for more info including available colors.
  • wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    I saw the truck at Seattle SeaFair two weeks ago. It looks very cool. Chevy rep said it shares about 90% with Suburban 1500.
    The website says that they will have (more than 1?) the Avalanche at the Minnesota State Fair next week. I'll try to get some good shots.
    Oct 2000

Has a pic of the avalanche minus all the dressups from the autoshow. Looks very sleek. Kinda nice looking its a black truck they show

Ryan
    Please, forward the e-mail to me at wesyang@msn.com. Thanks.
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    Please for ward that e-mail to me too. StrewRD@gvl.esys.com

Thank You.
    In my previous post, I mentioned the survey and link to the July 18th chat with the Avalanche product team. In the chat, they stated that they expect to sell 100,000 units and the first model year will sell out. What do you think? The first Edmunds Avalanche topic died due to inactivity. There are two current topics with very little activity. How much interest is there in this model?
    Avalanche seems a right one for me because I need a truck to tow and carry 5 people at the same time. Full size truck seems no enougth room for 5 people. And SUV can't carry trees and other tall stuff. I was thinking about Yokon(XL) but I don't want to pay 40K on it.

In the survey, I rank F150 SCrew first than Avalanche. If Chevy price Avalanche above 32K, I probably go for a Ford instead. Also, there is another option, Chevy 2500 HD SCrew is due this fall.
    We were considering the Yukon (we have a Jimmy that our kids are outgrowing), but the varied uses we have for a truck would make the Avalanche the best choice. I do a lot of hunting and the kids have two Labs that are a pain if we put them in the back of the Jimmy to go to the farm. There is no way I could allow them in a new Yukon. The ability to haul full sheets of plywood, drywall and other goods makes the Avalanche my first choice over the F150 Supercrew. Also, I have had a couple of Fords through the years (1 car, 1 truck) and neither gave satisfactory ride or fuel economy. I know the Avalanche is no gas miser, but I would trust it to get at or above the advertised fuel mileage. The versatility of the Avalanche would allow me to leave behind a trailer or hitch basket on weekend bowhunts; while giving great towing capacity for boat, etc. The side boxes would carry "stuff" I keep in a milk crate in the back of the Jimmy. Let's hope they don't overdo the price.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    is not a Supercrew with a baby bed....it has the 6.5 footer...something you can use..

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    thing looks....

Dean
    HD Ado..not the Ave....

- Tim
    about the looks of the Explorer SportTrac? It seems as though the Avalanche looks strike you in the same way - it is different enough that it takes some getting used to. I've seen SportTracs around, though and they are not growing on me.
    is useless in my opinion, other than maybe the 4wd which you wouldn't get in a regular sedan. You can basically fit as much in a regular sedan as you can in a sportrac. That includes people and cargo. The box is no bigger than a regular car trunk.

PS. I get to see the Avalanche live in 2 days. I'm hoping it looks better in person than in the pictures. I see they still have the gray plastic skirting on it. Ick!
    hauler around here...(Metro detroit)...the box is almost useless...My Dads trunk in the Lincoln can hold just as much..if not more?

if you want a people hauler that has room...and a good size box...get a Crew SB..or an Ave.....

Hey!...that's what this topic is about!

LOL

- Tim
    GET ALL THE LATEST IMAGES tab...
    There are some new pictures on
    http://www.wieck.com/public/

Just click on the tab that says Get Newest Photos.
    The lower covers are there for good, according to Chevy. It looks bad with the light color in the Wieck photos. The dark colors and red are OK IMO. The upper cladding is to cover structural components behind the cab and blend in with the bedcover. Also, I asked about a GMC sister, akin to the Tahoe/Yukon - the official GM reply is that there will be none. In fact, they said "The Avalanche is the only vehicle that General Motors is introducing to compete with the F-150 Supercrew."
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i don't think there is much buzz for the Avalanche or the Sport trac. I've seen one or 2 sport tracs, driven by soccer moms.

the supercrew seems 10 x hotter than the Av and Trac combined, around here.
  • lee75lee75 Member Posts: 15
    The Avalanche: great features, but one ugly beast. Like the reports say, you'll LOVE it or HATE it. The exterior should have been a Suburban with a bed, instead looking like some kind of x-tream experiment. Too bad because, like I said, the features are very good. I'll have to go for the Supercrew. The S-crew is cheaper too with a more certain re-sale value. $34,000 is alot to gamble on what could be the next Edsel. Plus, the wife took one look at the Avalanche and said "no way."
    The Ave is an ugly beast....but why would you want a bed the size of a tonka truck?.....if you want a Crew cab..but shorter bed..get a Chevy HD Crew SB.

- Tim
    ...the tonka size bed is the Supercrew by ford...(which really ain't that super when ya think about it??).....

Ave..great idea...horrible looks....oh well...that darn Aztek is selling like hotcakes here...so who knows?

- Tim
    Supercrew = fantastic marketing call
    I meant the the naming of Supercrew...
    just like supersized we all know thats a huge hit

Ryan
    ..you said a mouthfull there...

I believe the Chevy HD Crew SB will be a better choice though.....(and not cuz I'm a Chevy man either)....

But who knows?...the Supercrew is aimed at people who don't use it for work...just people that want to haul their yuppy friends..(did I type that out loud??) around..

A crew cab was usually bought for work reasons....of course it was always a 3/4 / 1 ton truck too....

oh well...times change..Yuppys prevail in the truck market more than we know...

- Tim
    may grow on you; remember how the redesigned Dodge Ram hit you the first time you saw it? The short bed on the Ava is great for utility - then there is the full 8' when needed. Isn't the Chevy HD 3/4 ton plus? What will the ride be like?
    Gee Tim, you sound a little bitter. Sounds like the yuppies are taking over your market area. lol.

I know what you mean though. I really want to like the Avalanche since it has a lot of good new ideas in it, but it may be tailored a bit too much to the yuppy group instead of the real utility work group. They will probably also come with those cheap rear leaf springs too. lol.
    had the same initial reaction to the Ava - since more views have been released she has come to accept it. She still thinks the Supercrew is better looking as of now - because there is no radical changes from a standard Ext bed. I think the utility of the Ava will sway us.
    Idea yet...short box...8 foot indoors if ya need it...as well as a burb seating....just pretty the damn thing up man!....

The HD Ado will drive fine....I love the 8600GVW ride now..and can't wait for 9200GVW.....at least there is a truck them people won't buy...(maybe??)....the Ave. will be yuppy all the way...

Bitter?...nahh...I am surrounded by yuppy ville..but I just "be me" and well......let's just say a lot of them don't like it...

But Who am I to be real and not pretend to be something I am not??/

- Tim
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    supposedly will have a twin to the Avalanche, when has GM not put out a vehicle with a twin? (ok besides the 'Vette)

I gotta see the real thing to judge it but the Avalanche doesnt look very good. And Chevy is gonna use this look for future trucks? (as rumored) No thanx.
    where did you hear about the Cad twin? And Tim (mgdvman), do you think the yuppy crowd might stick to the Tahoe, Yukon, Burbs, JGC and Ford Ex's? I have enough dirty work between yard, farm and hunting that the Avalanche seems to make the most sense. I keep going back to the Wieck photos - the Ava on the road looks good to me. They have new pictures of the 2001 Sierra 3500 on Wieck.
    the Avalanche is to be equipped with the five link rear suspension on the redesigned Tahoe/Yukons and the 1500 Burb/Yukon XL. Is the design of the Ava too utilitarian for the soccer moms and yuppies?
    GM has enough problems with windows and doors leaking and causing wind noises. With the new design of the Avalanche, I'd be giving odds on the abundant amount of air leaks this baby will have. Don't think you'll be able to listen to the stereo unless you have it max volume. Fit and finish is not GM's strongpoint. It will be very interesting to see who buys the first generation. I can just picture scraw posting to this board like he did with the '99 rado...anyone remember way back when....LOL

Dean
    Ave. will be more yupps than people like me....I believe...(or hope) the HD series will seperate the men from the pretty boys....it seems to have worked for Superduty's....(at least near me)..once in a while you see one in a Superduty...but most will say..."That's too rough"......so the HD series should be thumbs up.....

Most burbs are 1500's...so they appeal to yupps....as will the Ave.

Good Luck on This One now!

- Tim
    Unfortunately, I think Tim and Dean are both on the right track. The fact that the Ave will have the cushy 1500 Suburban suspension package means it will not have the hauling capacity it really should. (otherwise they wouldn't still have leaf springs on the 3/4 ton Subs). Hell, my 1500 Silverado WITH leaf springs still has trouble.

Dean, the fit and finish with that rear window will be interesting to see. I already see a new topic here at Edmonds next spring - "2001 Avalanche Rear Window Problems"

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like this new truck, but I'm just being more pessimistic (realistic) based on past experience.
    so critical for the Avalanche, considering 3' of the cargo area is in the cab and over the back seats? The 5'3" bed doesn't leave a whole lot of room for too much heavy, dirty stuff. The 1500 suspension should suffice. The towing capacity, at 8600# for 4X4 is plenty. The F150 Supercrew is only 7700#.
    The 3/4 ton burb has the optional 8.1. That should be a hauler. Would have to take a torch and cut off the roof tho...
    but most burbs are 1500's....

- Tim
    Why have a truck if you're not going to haul anything (besides people). Might as well buy a Suburban and keep everything inside.

The reason this thing appeals to me is that it does actually form an 8' bed when necessary. But you inadvertently make a good point - how much of that 8' bed is actually useable before the plastic overhead crap gets in the way. I wonder if you could even get a full pallet of something in there. What do you think Ryan.

Regarding Towing Capacity, they can pull whatever numbers they want out of their [non-permissible content removed] to say it tows more than the other guy, but all I know is that when I put a pallet of retaining blocks in my 1500, its basically on its knees pleading to get it out. I don't know what the payload capacity numbers are but they are probably exagerated too.
    I can put a full pallet of anything anywhere i am very skilled.

True story a guy came into menards with a ford fiesta the gate guard announce guest needs assistance with a "forklift" at the cement.

hmmm how many bags did he need? 1 bag haha i wanted to put it on a pallet and put it on his roof.

Whats with the fasination with a forklift??? Its amazing people for the dumbest things need a forklift its funny.

Ryan
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    The point of the outside bed portion is for junk you wouldn't want to put inside your $40K Tahoe/Burb, i.e., lawnmowers, gas cans for the mowers, bags of cow manuer for the garden, etc.

The looks are definitely love it / hate it like the Dodge was. It is much better in person than in pictures for sure though. I love it, my wife hates it. She is begging me to get a Vette instead.

I am no yuppy. If I could have my first choice it would be one of the new HD2500 crew cabs with the Duramax. But, it won't fit in my garage. Turns out an extended cab short bed will only fit with 4 inches to spare, which won't be too fun either. So the Ave, is looking like a good compromise. I do wish they would have a 2500 version, for the 6.0L, and the leaf springs, but in reality, I don't need that much truck. I just need a hunting/home improvement project type hauler, so I can compromise and go with the Ave. But, I'll miss the power of the 6.0L for sure.
    Yep, I guess it would work ok for that smelly dirty stuff you don't want inside (hopefully there will be a good enough seal from the rear seatbacks...)
    the Avalanche makes the case for compromise - sometimes you need seating for 4 or 5 - sometimes you need to haul stuff outside in a bed. (I also hope the seals are good enough.) As to my "inadvertent" point, it wasn't that at all - the point is, if you need a 3/4 ton with leafs and overloads, buy it! If you need an 8 foot bed with cargo room at or above the roof line - get a pickup! Match the vehicle as closely as possible to what you need to haul or tow.
    I went to the Minnesota State Fair this week specifically to see the new Ave in production clothes. HA. What a joke. All they had was the same old Burgundy one-off show truck that was in Detroit in January (with a few more scratches, etc).

I asked where the production prototype version was - I got a blank stare, and then the GM guy said "Its not in production yet". No [non-permissible content removed] sherlock, but where is the black one that is on your latest mini brochure doc? "Oh, its right here" he says, and points to the same picture of it on his pamphlet that I already have at home. No idiot, where is the real one? Another blank stare - "I don't think they have one yet". I just shook my head and left. It was either that or hit him...
    I was looking forward to your pictures. Wesyang saw the Avalanche in Seattle. Was it the Burgundy show truck also?
    at Woodward Cruise in Michigan was a Burgandy one as well

-Tim
    They have one. I seen pics of it in a magazine elsewhere actually driving on a road. haha its like a government conspiracy. I dunno i dunno deny deny deny

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.