Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Console cover, door accents, instrument cluster surround - all graphite and compliment the medium neutral (I know - an awe-inspiring color name.) Hey, Wayne - thanks for the kudos.
    I like the graphite wheel - I had tan in my F150 and it always looked grungy. Mileage going downhill has been with the cold. Our Bonneville has dropped about 2-3 MPG, too.
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    You "neutral guys" have really got your "socks in a bunch" over my comments. Sorry, I have such strong personal opinions. A Sunset Orange Av with Neutral interior will be really novel someday(you know, like an Orbit Orange GTO JUDGE with white interior). Got to go now and pick out a nice medium neutral tie to go with my graphite shirt for work tomorrow.
  • seamusthedogseamusthedog Member Posts: 21
    outdoorplaces that sounds like a good idea, I live in des moines. My email is alfonsomasoni@hotmail.com (not my real name). PS nice job on the website.
    imaniguana, if there isn't a lake at the end of the trail whats the point of hiking to it. LOL
    In my younger (aka thinner) days I used to go hiking in the cascades all the time, unfortunately now I only get out once or twice a year.
    It's not my socks in a bunch - after leaving some hide on a hot tan leather seat in the Ozarks last summer, I can't imagine what would happen with a dark interior. A burn with a stitched bowtie imprint untouched?
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    I have strong opinions on a lot of subjective things such as colors and color combinations also - I just don't think a forum like this is the right place to express them.

By the way, you probably won't believe this, but I did see an Sunset Orange Av with neutral interior on the dealers lot. It's sold now - so somewhere out there is a person that I don't want to offend about their choice of color options. At least they bought a dynamite truck in the Avalanche!

Anybody see the show on Motor Trend TV last night on Speedvision? They had the review of how they picked the Avalanche as Motor Trend Truck of the Year. The last ten minutes of the show are great for Avalanche fans where they get down to all the down and dirty on why they picked it. They also show some great footage of them abusing a 4x4 model in some ridiculous off-road maneuvers.

Lastly, I also caught wind that the next episode of Trucks! (another half hour show that TNN has on Saturdays) will feature a segment on the Avalanche. They are also known for their off-road "testing" so that should be interesting. Should air about 1 PM or so on the 26th for those that are interested. Check your listings.

Hey skids, I'll take an orbit orange Judge with parchment interior if you got one to give away! Back to the Mineshafts!
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    with a Neutral interior would be all that bad as a combination. Of course the Graphite would look better. IMO. I have the Neutral in my Polo Green Sierra and really like it. Neutral is much better than the Tan) Again I'd like the Graphite better. They sure don't have the number of interior choices they used to.
    BTW......I have a PINK Judge!
    1/18th Scale though.
    "At least they bought a dynamite truck in the Avalanche!"

I think this will offend f1jules. LOL
    I saw the show, did you notice that it was a 3/4 ton with the 8.1L.
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    Do you know if the promo Maisto Avalanche was produced in any other color than the Orange that was sent to me by GM? Just yankin' y'all about the tan interior. I have had 2 Bravadas and a Tahoe with tan interior. My gripe is this,if the interior is graphite, then the headliner should be some shade of gray. And if I want tan interior, the other plastic and leather accents should be some shade of tan or neutral. Actually the neutral and orange idea appeals to me now......but no....the cladding is gray!!!!! You see what I mean!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I'm okay with your enjoyment of your truck...No really, I mean it.
  • cuss1cuss1 Member Posts: 17
    Have you noticed now that we have salty spray on winter roads that the engine compartment gets really dirty? Other vehicles I own(ed) have a gasket at the front lip of the hood to seal the salt spray from entering the engine compartment. I suppose I could fabricate a similar gasket. Why did Chevy cut yet another corner?

Would the GM Bug Shield cover the hood / grill gap and block all of that spray from entering the engine compartment?
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    that the truck was a 2500 with an 8.1....I just saw the 4x4 on the rear and knew that it wasn't a Z71, Z66 or plain jane. Do they use the "4x4" decal on the rear of the box for a 1500 with a 5.3 liter engine without the Z71 package? Or does this only get applied to a 4x4, 2500 with an 8.1 liter engine?
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Saw an Avalanche with M-plates that had black cladding, what an improvement in looks over the grey cladding. I work less than a half mile from GM truck engineering.
    All of the 4WD I've seen have the 4X4 decal; the wheels are also noticeable with the bright finish and 8 lugs. What badging would the 2500 2WD have? Has anyone seen one?
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    Dude, all 2500 series Avalanche's have 8 lug wheels. All 1500 series Avalanche's have 6 lug wheels. If you see any Avalanche with 8 lugs it is either a 2500 series or has been modified.

I know that 4-wheel drive North Face Edition Avalanche's have no sticker, Z-71, North Face, or 4X4 or the rear quarters.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    $27.9K strikes me as an excellent price.
    -- Don
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    A dealer recently offered me any Av on the lot for $500 over invoice price. Can I get a better deal using the GM Supplier discount? That discount is supposed to be 4% over what a GM employee pays. How do you know what that cost is, without having to talk to the dealer about it?
    My post was on the 2500 - 2500s have 8 lugs and the chrome wheels? Anyway, haven't seen a 2WD 2500 - besides the 8 lug wheels - what will make it distinguishable from the others?
  • dickeynhdickeynh Member Posts: 2
    I believe you'll find the GM Supplier Discount will give a better price than $500 over invoice (though I'm not positive).

I used this program after getting what I thought was a good price quote, and it was significantly less (I don't remember the exact numbers now).

The other thing is that sometimes the GM Supplier program has better cash-back deals than the normal incentives. In my case I purchased when there was no customer cash back (just 0% financing offer which I wasn't going to use), but there was a hidden $500 dealer cash-back offer. Under the GM Supplier program that offer was converted to Customer cash-back (this surprised even the dealer when I showed him the fine print on the printout).

The GM Supplier Discount price is actually printed on the invoice sheet the dealer gets with the vehicle. But I found no way to get that information without asking the dealer.

One last caveat, apparently dealers aren't required to participate in this GM Supplier program, though mine was more than happy to.
    The 2500 has a strip of cladding along the lower edge of the front wheel well, also the 2500 has 2500 stamped into the cladding.
    In all the photographs of the 2500's I've seen there is an additional lower opening just above the front bumper into the radiator area. Makes sense that the 8.1 liter needs more cooling air going by. I like the look of the Avalanche 2500 front end better than the 1500...
    Good point on the bumper cover - a quick way to tell if you're about to be eaten by a big block Av.
    I've been busy. This is what has been added if you haven't visited in a while:

1) A new picture has been added to the online post cards honor the Avalanche being Motor Trend's 2002 Truck of the Year

2) The Links list has been greatly expanded and inlcudes 22 reviews covering the 1500, 2500, towing, off-road, and evalutions, 7 awards, 14 part suppliers, and links for cleaning and care supplies including 303 Protectorant and Zaino.

3) The ability to submit your own review of the Chevy Avalanche. No e-mail address, name, phone number, zip code, shoe size, or other personal info required (there are three reviews currently posted if you want to read them)

4) The latest news and headlines from General Motors and from the automotive industry

5) An Avalanche owners FAQ covering many control and mechnical issues. This one is under construction but power windows, locks, alarm, keyless entry, transmission, transfer case, traction assist, midgate, and tailgate are currently covered. I'm trying hard to add one new section a night.

6) A poll has been added to the Fun Stuff home page. Right now the poll is on your favorite Avalanche color (Indigo Blue is winning).

7) The Adventure section is finally up and running. The Road Less Traveled features a story from OutdoorPlaces.Com about Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, a great place to take your new Avalanche. There is also the Avalanche Adventure Finder. You can search from over 500 parks across the United States to plan your next trip in your Avalanche. This is also powered by OutdoorPlaces.Com and it TOTALLY rocks!

8) The Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Forum now has polls in it. You can create your polls on what ever topic you want.

Yes, the site is non-commercial. No, it's not affailated with General Motors (although I formally received my grant of permission from GM Legal so now I'm legal). No, I'm not selling anything. No this isn't a scam. No you don't have to provide your e-mail address, not even to post in the forum as long as you stay a guest user (however many guest users have a habit of becoming a registered user). Yes, I own a Chevy Avalanche, Indigo Blue Z-71 with all options (and it rocks!).

You can check out everything that is going on at

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com

• black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    A Fan Club for a truck? And a really butt-ugly truck at that? Did you miss out on something when you were younger?

With all kind wishes,

Black Silver
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    But gotta wait till '03 2500 8.1...
    ........Geo
    Hey Dicky..The GM supplier price is on a
    official dealer invoice...Just like the
    GM employee deal is (employee price cheaper)
    Ask if You have to pay mfr/dealer advertising
    charge. GM employee buyer DOES not !
    Not sure on the supplier deal. Make sure to
    Ask ! Save a few $$$$ more too......
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    Man this is a hot site. Last week - now some 80 messages back - I posted the following:

What is the going rate for insurance on the Av? Know it varys depending on area of the country; but rates relative to autos or other trucks in any part of the country would be useful. My rates went up from about $400/yr - '83 Toyota Supra - to about $650/yr - live in the D.C. area.

Appreciate the response from ygmn but would like to hear from others. The increase seems excessive to me so was thinking about changing insurance companies.

Thanks!
  • timhtimh Member Posts: 5
    ...and are we supposed to become admires of the huge example of Canadian SUV's?
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    SUV's are for girlies.

Trucks are for men.

With all kind wishes,

Black Silver
    Totally agree. That's why the Chevrolet Avalanche is Motor Trends 2002 Truck of the Year. That's why the Chevrolet Avalanche is the CANADIAN Press Association's Truck of the Year.

Ouch, that's got to hurt. It has been my experience that most critics of the Avalanche cannot afford them. I believe they run around $45,000 Canadian.

Of course we all know about the great automotive companies from Canada like....well and there is always...and how about...can't forget...hey, at least we've got beer, whiskey and trees!

LOL - seems we have gained a board troll - shame on me for feeding it!
    I was driving a '98 Pontiac Montana. I have identical coverage on my 1500 4X4 Av through the same company and my rates went up $16 a month. I'm paying about $650 $675 a year - but my wife wiped out her T-bird in an at fault accident last year so our rates got jacked up.
    If you visit the Edmunds site you'll also discover that the Avalanche is Editors Choice for Crew Cab Pickup Truck. Also, Chevrolet counts Avalanche sales toward truck unit sales and not SUV sales.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Has anybody gone from a pickup to an Av? I am wondering what you think about the box size in the Av as compared to a pickup. I currently have a '00 ext. cab short box Silverado that I love. I have always liked the looks of the Av and I wanted one wicked bad but when I went to the dealer to finally see one up close I was surprised at how small the bed was. I would always have the midgate up since I have 1 (soon to be 2) children in car seats. I fill the bed of my pickup every week with camping stuff during the summer and I don't think it would all fit in the Avalanche bed. I've heard that the '03 Silverados are going to have the same front end as the Avalanche, that would be nice. Does anybody know if this is true and if there are any websites with information on this?

-Mark
  • helmutkhelmutk Member Posts: 3
    I live in upstate NY and pay about $875/year for full coverage, $500 deductable, insurance for my Avalanche. That's with no points on my license, no accidents in 10 years, and over 40. It's great to live in a state with the 2nd highest insurance rates in the country. We're catching up to NJ! ;-)
    I went from a '92 Jimmy @ $630/yr., to a '99 F150 @ $730 and now the Av @ $780. These are IL rates and, of course, each replacement has been a lot more valuable. If you have rates in this ballpark and have a decent history with the company - stay put. We're going to see rates go up 15-20% a year for at least the next two years.
    Sounds like another ad in the "from an SUV to a pickup" series.

Mark - We had an F150 Excab 4 door for a short while as we were getting ready to get the Av. It had the short bed (6 1/2') like yours and had a factory tonneau. I couldn't tell if you had a bed cover, but what I've found is that the box on the Av is so deep, it will hold a comparable amount of gear with the cover on. I hated trying to load and unload the bed of the F150, especially on a hot summer day. My 12 year old usually ended up crawling to the front. With the Av, I remove the covers, stow gear, replace the covers and head out. That tonneau was not good at keeping out the weather. The only thing you might miss is how to handle 6' to 6 1/2' items.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    I don't have a cover on my truck, I do think that would be a nice feature. My problem isn't so much the 6 1/2' length of items it's just that some of the items I have are big and can't be stacked. For instance, My son has one of those Power Wheels Silverados, it seems as though that would take up most of the bed in the Av. Maybe I will take it with me to the dealer and try fitting it in if I decide to buy one. My other concern is that I love the power that the 5.3 gives my truck, I believe the Av is about 1000lbs heavier than my truck and I'm afraid it will under powered.

-Mark
    The Av is not under powered with the 5.3 - Motor Trend turned an 8.6 0 to 60, not bad for a 5,700 pound fat guy. However compared to the Silverado, yes you'll lose whompf off of the line - the Silverado with 5.3 has SERIOUS nads.

It's all relative. If you want gobs of power check out the GMC with the 6.0 liter and quadrasteer - Motor Trend got a 7.7 in 0 to 60, the fastest full size quad cab they've ever tested and it did something insane like 62 MPH on a slalom [sic?] course. Of course speed costs money as the ol' Mad Max movie goes, and the GMC is around $45K.

Just depends on what you're looking for. I'm familar with the Power Wheels and I'm almost say you could shoehorn two of them in there. I have one in a box in the back right now (birthday present) and I could easily fit another (but I know - some assembly required) with room to spare!
    On the owners reviews on the Fan Club site one right now is from a pickup to Av, and I have four more pending that were all former pickup owners. The reviews should be up by Sunday.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com

Thanks Outdoorplaces, helmutk, and timfarn - appreciate your sharing insurance rate information. Sounds like rates I have are good - I'll be more thankful that I'm not living in one of the high rate areas! Having not investigated, I had thought DC was a high rate area but obviously not so.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    "Ouch, that's got to hurt. It has been my experience that most critics of the Avalanche cannot afford them. I believe they run around $45,000 Canadian."

I still can't figure out why anyone would want one in the first place. I wouldn't buy one at half the price.

Hey, you started it...
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    with paper tags still on. We took off at 25 entering the freeway. Since it was he that decided we would race by nailing it entering the freeway, I was half a length behind. This guy was pretty fast as I crept up closing his lead finally catching him at a 100 and slowing after while he continued. When I reached my destination I needed to get something out of the back of the truck, when I opened the Pace Edward cover, I realized I had about 800# of equipment....wonder if that made any difference?

'00 LS xcab 5.3 3.73 Michelin 275/70R16
    JBA headers/ PV exhaust/ Magnecor wires/ Airaid/ HPIII programming
    Dean - it sounds like you met up with one of the idiots who put the "break" into break-in. What are these people thinking when the first thing they do is "see what it's got"? Feel sorry for the guy who buys it if it's the dealer's boys who are abusing it.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    cause first it was tagged 02-02 and secondly, it was around 11:30 pm. Looked great too in all black including the body cladding, cept of course for that oversized gold caddy badge on the tailgate. I thought he was crazy too...talk about driving at different engine speeds....
    I'm still debating between 2WD and 4WD for an Av. Is the Z71 package definitely worth the extra money on the 4WD model? Do the specially-tuned shocks and springs improve the ride and handling of the truck? I do not plan on going off-road much, if at all. My wife will mostly be using the truck driving locally. She refuses to even use cruise control, so you can bet she'll never be engaging the 4WD at all.

I realize that 4WD makes a big difference in resale and depreciation. And we do camp, so I would like to have it for gravel or dirt campground roads when needed.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    If you can afford it and somewhat want it then buy the Z71 package.

It will add to resale value but the difference should be the difference in initial sale price.

For maintenance reasons I would not buy it if you are not going to use it often...IT just seems a potential service issue if you never use 4WD...I dorve both the Z66 and Z71 and the rides are extremely similar if not undistiguishable.

Good luck with your choice.
    4WD isn't necessary for gravel or dirt roads - unless it's rainsoaked and rutted (will the campground restrict vehicles in those conditions?). What did the recent storm give you for winter weather? If going was pretty tough for a day or two, consider 4WD. The 4WD does include Autotrac (4WD for soccer moms) which senses slip and engages automatically. The selection can be made and is then the default.
    Snow in this part of Jersey happens only a handful of days a year. We've had no problem getting around with a FWD minivan for many years.

I'm thinking that the Z66 package would work well enough in the conditions I will encounter. But there seems to be a stigma attached to a 2WD pickup, as if it's not really a pickup unless it is 4WD.

The problem is, there are very few Z66 pickups in stock to choose from. Seems like the dealers in this area stock mostly 4WD models, and most of them are optioned out to the max in the $38K range MSRP.
    Has anyone had experience with the K&N filters mentioned in Outdoorplaces great website? The testimonials on the K&N website make them sound too good to be true. Am seriously considering buying but would like to hear some independent comments on their compatibility with standard issue and on their real effect on gas mileage. Do they do as good a job at filtering the air as standard issue?

Thanks!
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    aftermarket with increased gas mileage in mind. Slight increases in performance yes. If your mileage improves it's a plus but I wouldn't bank on it. It wouldn't pay off in a million miles. And then you'd have to replace it! It has been stated here that some feel K&N's let too much stuff through. They do indeed flow more air though. Personally I've used them for years, but I don't keep a vehicle long enough to be concerned with whether it's letting in too much dirt. And am not convinced it's that serious.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    I have read on some sites where they do dyno testing of only increases of 2-4 Hp at the wheels.

Heck if I empty the back it would have a greater effect and be cheaper too.

IMO all hype for the price
This discussion has been closed.