Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I prefer the cladding as this is what makes it a Avalanche and sets it apart from the rest of the pack. But it's nice to see that GM is listening to the customer. I can remember the days when you bought it their way or the highway.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    the highway.........
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Hopefully they learned an expensive lesson.
  • Options
    tyguy93tyguy93 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    looking for some info in what to expect in the difference between the 2 final gear ratios available:
    3.73 RPM's @ 60 MPH. City MPG, HIghway MPG [I think these are the ones posted on the Chevrolet.com and Edmund.com websites].

4.10 RPM's @ 60 MPH. City mpg, Highway MPH

thanks in advance,
    pd
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I've been away for 2 weeks, and didn't see the pics until this morning. As expected, I knew in my mind what it'd be like and I do not like it at all. Neither do most Avalanche owners. Neither do the people I've shown it to, with my mother saying not only did it look cheap, but just like a pickup truck and there's nothing special to it like there is now.

My personal gripes are many. Number one, why, if stripping the cladding, would you then go to the cheap and ugly black plastic side molding off of a Suburban? Then, why would you go and put some cheap looking chrome pickup truck bumpers on? At least, if you want to "clean up" the look, make it monotone, with painted molding and matching styled bumpers.

The 2002 Av's sold quite well, so why give in to the few who didn't like "all the plastic"? It's big, bold, brash, and looks more unique than just about any other vehicle out there. You know, every so often some good news comes out of GM with Bob Lutz working his magic, but this is not one of those moments. But then again, that's just mine and the opinion of thousands of others.
  • Options
    belljobelljo Member Posts: 15
    Help! Looking for maintenance information as it relates to the transfer case fluid.....how often should it be replaced???
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I plan on changing TC fluid at the same time I have the auto tranny serviced. In my case that will be between 60 and 75K.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    attractive is what it does, not how it looks. How it looks is ugly. (my opinoin and thousands of others). But not as bad as when I first saw it. Maybe (hopefully) the '03 with the flares is a 4wd and a 2wd won't have them. At least they would be easier to remove than the cladding. I've been seriously considering one (an '02) because it's cheaper than a Suburban or Tahoe but is a 4 door and rides better than the pickup. It's looks I see as a challange. I have some ideas on how to make it look less obnoxious fairly inexpensively.
    Just wish it wasn't so heavy!
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I think that red and blue are the only colors with black wheel flairs, the other colors should have body color flairs like the pickup. The black molding on the side will come off easily with a hair dryer. The chrome front bumper is good because it won't chip easily like a painted bumper will.

I like the '03 better, but it looks as if it needs wider tires to make it look more stable. If you don't like the new look, you can still order the cladding in an almost black color.
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I think it should be noted that the "Avalanche without Body Hardware" (i.e., no cladding) is an option and probably will only be built in limited quantities. The original styling is still alive and well as a standard feature for those of you who prefer it. Production on the clad-free Av will not begin for a few months and I have not heard of what the option price (or credit) will be for it.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Join us NOW for a chat with Brent Romans -- everything trucks! 8 pm ET/5 pm PT.

Click here!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    no as much the cladding as it is the "flattop" wheel wells that don't look good. And that will look better on the '03's even with the cladding. If they had left the wheel wells rounded and had the cladding go over the flared part of the wheel well I think that would have looked better. Never did like flat wheel well openings. Can you say "Oldsmobile", (98's and Achieva's) "Buick" (Skylark). But of course that's just my opinion. But hey my Wife will attest to the fact that I'm never wrong!
  • Options
    today. The darker cladding looks better but not that much. As I mentioned before to me it's more the shape of the wheel well and the way the gray doesn't go all the way around it than the cladding itself. And that hasn't changed. Apparently only on the model that isn't going to have any cladding. I guess that make sense, otherwise they'd have to have even more different body panels. Some with holes for the claddding and some without.
  • Options
    how about wind noise after you've had the back widow out a few times? Every pickup I ever had with a sliding rear window had wind noise from it.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Dads looking at new S-10s. Was talking to a
    salesman and he said something like $750
    credit/option on a 03 Av......geo
  • Options
    brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    The seal on the Av's back window is completely different. Instead of a little gasket on the slide window like a standard pickup; the AV has a whole gasket all the way around, more like a door seal.
  • Options
  • Options
    emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    Lutz was quoted saying the cladding added $750 to their cost. I'd guess the body hardware option will be priced $1000-$15000. Of course, as a credit it won't exceed $700.
  • Options
    dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    In the new Consumer Reports coming out, the Avalanche is the only full size pickup to be given an excellent rating. Overall, it scored a 4.1 out of 5 with 4-5 being excellent. The next best truck was the Tundra with only a Very Good rating. Motor Trend truck of the year and Consumer Reports Excellent rating-How about that for a first year truck! - Snuffy
  • Options
    lonestartjlonestartj Member Posts: 25
    Guys, come on. Cladding or not, the Avalanche has got to be one of the ugliest vehicles on the market. Yes, it is versatile, there's some attraction in that, but a lot of vehicles fit into that category. And now, for '03, they've gone and ruined the Silverados by using the Avalanche front clip.
    My neighbor just traded in a perfectly good Durango and got a godawful burnt orange Avalanche. I'm ready to put my house up for sale now so I don't have to see it every day in his driveway next door. Ugh.
  • Options
    I'm sure your neighbor would welcome it.
  • Options
    Was ugly - I am starting to warm up to the looks.

If they would just change the wheel well - round it off - the straight edge is what makes it look bad.

I also think they should split the mid-gate to allow one side to be up - other down. It would add some flexability.
  • Options
    Now I look at it as a challenge to make it look better. Can't very well round off the wheel wells but I think you could make them look like they are. I really like the idea of the Sub. ride with the Pickup utility. I'm thinking seriously about picking up an '02 leftover. I found a couple that are pre-price increase so actually sticker below $32k with power buckets as the only option.
  • Options
    flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Ugly, well that's in the eye of the beholder. Some people buy trucks for their versatility and utility, not their looks. (I have my Lexus and my convertible for those things).

But, you said "...Yes, it is versatile, there's some attraction in that, but a lot of vehicles fit into that category. " Actually, I don't know of any others (Cadillac version doesn't count) that have the Avalanche's versatility. And that is really what the Avalanche is all about, after all. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    than the Ave. Just cant get over those lights. Wonder who designed them and what he was under at the time.
  • Options
    who did the CTS. Or is that CST?
  • Options
    I test drove an '03 avalanche this weekend. THe interior changes are very nice. THe whole time I was driving it though I kept wondering where all the zip from the pick up went? It was actually quite slow. When turning a corner and then flooring it, the trans held second gear instead of downshifting to first. This made it seem even slower. I realize the Ave is heavier, I didn't think it was that much heavier.

I'm still waiting to see one without the cladding.
  • Options
    a few more months to wait. I keep looking at the picture and it looks to me like not only is it sans cladding but it looks like a flat out stripper model. No color matching mirrors and door handles. The front end actually looks like the pickup more than the Av. (they aren't the same front end). I hope that's not what we have to settle for to get one with no cladding.
  • Options
    don770don770 Member Posts: 12
    When I see the ads for the Avalanche, they say it
    changes from an SUV to a PICKUP. When is it JUST
    an SUV?? Seems like it is ALWAYS a PICKUP with an
    adjustable bed length.
  • Options
    I agree, I'd say it's more of a Crew Cab short box that can be converted into a regular cab long box.
  • Options
    It does seem to be more of a crew cab short box. Could some of you maybe tell me what the attraction is of this vehicle over let's say a 1500 HD crew cab? What can the Avalanche do that a crew cab pickup cannot (besides looking like huge hunk of plastic)?
  • Options
    ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn!
  • Options
    Soccer moms can park an Avalanche at Walmart.

Avalanche ride is better than 1500 HD
  • Options
    you're looking for, I guess the Av would fit the bill. All that plastic armor would sure protect it from the errant basket or car door dings. GM ought to use that as an advertising campaign, I can see it now...the AV pulls up to WalMart with a soccer mom and 2 kids, the "Like a Rock" theme playing in the background...a stray windblown basket coming from across the parking lot.....BAM!! right into the side of the AV, and it just bounces right off. Damn, that's good.
  • Options
    in the past for the plastic front bumbers (Pontiac), and plastic sides (Saturn).
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    I'm looking seriously at buying an Avalance and have found a used one (no options) with 11,000 miles for $25,000.

1) Is it possible to order skid plates directly from a dealer and add them? My local dealer can't seem to find part numbers for them.

2) Since the Z71 adds a locking rear diff, does the base model have a limited slip in the rear or is it just an open differential? Any reason that a factory locker or limited slip couldn't be added? Limited slip is enough for me.

Thanks,
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ") Is it possible to order skid plates directly from a dealer and add them? My local dealer can't seem to find part numbers for them.

2) Since the Z71 adds a locking rear diff, does the base model have a limited slip in the rear or is it just an open differential? Any reason that a factory locker or limited slip couldn't be added? Limited slip is enough for me."

1) Yep. Probably be cheaper to find them at a junk yard. Also check with http://www.partszoneonline.com email em and get the parts number and quote

2) Gm only offers a locking rear diff or open diff no limited slip

• Options
    Thanks Ryan,

gmpartsdirect.com seems to have the skidplates as a set for $100. My 1999 Suburban had a limited slip rear diff but maybe they stopped doing that with the 2000 redesign. Could I add the locking diff? Is it electronically switched or self-activating?
  • Options
    Look in the glove box - should be a sticker with a list of codes - if it has code G-80 it already has the locker. Look at options list on edmunds for the Av - it will show all the codes. This should help determine what came on truck from the factory.

I can't see a real need for a skid plate unless you plan to go off road a lot.

I do have one on my Z-71 Silverado - it is a pain - needs to be removed to perform lube job.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Come in handy for everyday driving.

2 wks after i had my silverado coming home from a wedding down 80/94 a semi blew a tire. Tire went under my truck and hit pretty hard. I checked under there the next morning and just had a black scuff on the skid plate (metal one)

Also you only have to remove the plastic brush guard in the front to do the lubing you dont have to remove the metal skid plates.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll check the plate when I pick up the truck next week. I do drive off-road and wanted a Z71 package but this was too good a deal to pass up.
  • Options
    has std. diff. You have to get at least the Z66 pkg. to get the locker included.
  • Options
    sound like a pretty good deal. I found two leftover '02s that have just power buckets for options. Sticker is $31,925 with a quoted Gm Buypower Best Price of $26,326 (including the 2500 rebate). Seems like price could be better. The Dealer is 60 mi. away so Iasked if they'd bring it to me at work (on Friday) so I could drive it home, out to dinner and go to Dealer on Saturday. The Mgr. said no so guess I'll pass. I just have the felling all through the deal they'd be expecting ME to go the extra mile. Exactly what I'd been looking though. One Victory Red and one Indgo Blue, both with Graphite interior. Damn!
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Hey guys! I have a Chevy Impala so I post over at the Impala Edmund's Board, but I need y'alls opinion on something. The Impala has a side Body Side Door Molding that's made of the same plastic that the Avalanche body cladding is made of. I hear some of you tried to paint it... how did that work out, how did you do it, and do you have any suggestions for me (should I try it or not?) Thanks guys, and tear up some mud for us car guys!!
  • Options
    ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Read other section you posted this in under avalanche
  • Options
    Can't believe I didn't think to do that but I checked and, yes, it has the magic G80 and the locking diff is already on there. Wonderful...
  • Options
    grat1grat1 Member Posts: 4
    I would like to purchase an 03 avalanche with stability control.For 03 it only comes in 2wd with traction control in the Z66 on road package.Has anyone had experience using the av. with traction control.I will not be going off road but live on long island.How much snow,poor road conditions can the traction system handle?
  • Options
    be sufficient for anything you'd get on Long Island.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We have a 2002 Avalanche 2wd Z66 and haven't yet had experience in snow or other poor conditions, but from all that I've read and seen on the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club forum, current 02's with traction control alone do quite well in such conditions. It's actually one of those times that unless you really want it or are going far off-road, 4wd just isn't needed. So why bother carrying around the extra weight from the components everyday, increasing the chance for something to break, all the while saving a couple of grand?

I'm really curious myself as to what a 2003 Z66 with Stabilitrack is like, with ours already being so sure-footed.
  • Options
    syacosyaco Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a 03 Alalanche and I am debating whether to order 3.73 or 4.11 gears. I am more interested in on road than off road use and I will take all the fuel economy I can get. I don't want a vehicle that can't get out of it's own way though. Does anyone have any input on this subject?
This discussion has been closed.