Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You answered your own question when you stated you wanted fuel mileage and weren't worried about off road. Get the 3:73's even though I doubt you would really notice the difference in gas mileage of either, which won't be good to start with.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I don't have any experience with the 4:11 ratio but I've read posts on the Silverado boards that basically indicate the following:
    - Use 4:11 if you're towing or want to increase the tow weight capacity; otherwise, no need for it (you can still pull stumps with the 3:73)
    - The 4:11 will cause the engine to rev higher for a given speed than with the 3:73; therefore, fuel economy may be worse
    - Because the engine has to work harder with the 4:11, high-speed crusing (e.g., 80mph+) is more difficult, if not impractical.
    The 4:11 basically improves low-end torque for getting going with a heavy trailer (such as pulling a boat up the boat ramp).
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    4:10s!! With the transmission OD ratios there's no real difference in cruise mileage and the low/midrange torque is better when you need it. Especially so with all the AV's extra weight; I've never understood why this thing weighs so much more than a Sub.
    -- Don
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Chevy showroom was quiet. Traded in our 00 Excursion. Was able to negotiate fairly aggressively as there are many dealers here in KC.
    Really enjoying the AV but am taking time getting familiar with the brakes. Quite a bit of travel, guess I am use to a quicker response from the brakes. (Guess more brake pedal travel before getting a response).
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    Welcome to the growing club of AV owners!

If you 'like' the service brake travel, wait until you try the parking brake. It still gets me that the pedal goes ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I'm used to older cars where that means the brake cable need tightening. This is normal for Chevy's. In the AV the parking brake holds the truck just fine on a hill and low engine speed. There must be a take-up spring somewhere in the system.

Enjoy your new truck!
  • scherfdotcomscherfdotcom Member Posts: 2
    Well, let me say that I really enjoy and even love my Avalanche Z71 (4WD) which has the 4:10 rear axle ratio. The 4:10 axle makes the AV a rocketship with 0-60 in less than 8 seconds--the 3:73 axle ratio doesn't have the edge like the 4:10 and is therefore recognizably slower than the 4:10.

The AV is as solid on and off the road in any road condition as a vehicle can be. I've driven it now for 11,000 miles over a 10-months period. I live in Las Vegas and I normally wouldn't need a 4WD, but I bought the AV up in Montana in February and driving it down through Idaho and Utah during extreme winter conditions through extremely heavy snow storms incl. a couple of blizzards (heavy winds and you couldn't see the road) with ice beneath the fresh snow on the road, even at speeds of 70-75 mph (I was scared at first and it took me a while to increase my highway speed to 70-75mph) the AV was as rock solid like I've never experienced with any other car or SUV. Driving the AV even in the worst of road and weather conditions was a dream--this SUV didn't slide or slip even once and I was very surprised. The AV was quiet and handled perfectly!

Regarding the brakes it takes a while to get used to it as they seemed a little weak initially, but other AV owners and also the dealership said that this normal because it's a heavy car. But the brakes work perfectly and to get them a little firmer it can help if you pump it once before you come to a stop--in emergency braking situations you just got to step on it and the AV will stop, even if the pedal goes down to the floor. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the Onstar communications system speaker in the headliner above the driver seat is a little noisy, but when you turn the radio/CD player on and/or open the window a bit then that noise is not recognizable (I'm a little spoiled from all the luxury cruisers I used to drive, but now I just love this AV and I don't even want to get into another car/SUV).

The Auto 4WD is excellent and I wouldn't like it any other way. Of course on dry surfaces I drive this rig only in 2WD mode and everything is fine, but on wet and any kind of slippery surface (snow, ice, mud, etc.) you absolutely need the 4WD as otherwise the rear end will break out due to the power of 285hp on the rear axle unless you tiptoe on the pedal and that's no fun. If you want to be in control and have a safe trip get the 4WD--it's well worth it and also for resale value considerations. The gas mileage is excellent for this type of vehicle: City is around 15-16 mpg and on the Highway at around 75mph (cruise control on) you can get approx. 20-21 mpg using Medium Grade.

People still stop me in parking lots and at gas stations and asked all kinds of questions about this excellent vehicle. And I get more stares with the Avalanche than with the Beemer or Vette. The Avalanche is just a breathtaking vehicle. And using the different GM pricing specials (incl. the GM card rebates) no other vehicle (car or SUV) will be able to beat the price: in fact you will pay at least 10-20 grand more for any other vehicle that may come close to the overall value and benefits of the Avalanche.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    a rare one. Faster than most Z71s and better gas mileage to boot.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    A Jersey paper has the aforementioned @ $24,700. That does not sound half bad to me. Throw in GM card points and what ever else and I think you would have a pretty decent vehicle. Any thoughts?
    about a new 2003? Not bad at all. I just looked at 2002 with 23k miles they are asking $25,000 for. Just what I've been looking EXCEPT...only the drivers seat is power. That sucks!
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Yes, the ad in the paper listed it as a 2003 model. As long as it has A/T, AC, and a cd player; I don't need much else. My Trooper is running too good right now so I may wait. But with GM points and the $750 certificate I rec'd in that class action suit a year ago I could get it down below 22K and that may be too good to pass up. I don't use 4wd much so a 2wd would be OK. There is also a dealer up in Maine that sells Chevy trucks very cheaply. My boss got one up there and it was worth the drive.
    equipment that is standard the only option I want is power seats. (BOTH). I have it now in my Sierra and don't want to take a step back. Problem is now most have only the Driver side power. Same with the pickups. Personally I think this is a mistake. That was one of the advantages GM had over Ford and Dodge. You got power seats, both sides were power!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the Onstar communications system speaker in the headliner above the driver seat

That little speaker cover is a fan - almost like a CPU fan on a computer. It is part of the auto climate control system. I just had mine replaced, it was making a noise when cold. Since this is the first trip back to the dealer for any reason in the first 20 months (15K miles) I am not complaining. 2001 Tahoe 5.3L
  • scherfdotcomscherfdotcom Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bill,
    thanks for the info--I really appreciate it. And in my case too, this is the only little thing that bothered/bothers me, because otherwise my Avalanche is just a perfect vehicle.
  • autoshopper777autoshopper777 Member Posts: 4
    I'm interested in buying a 2003 AV, but was told by someone that they have a problem with water leaking into the cab from the bed when parked downhill. They complained to Dealer about this and Dealer replied "Don't park that way". I read some of the messages and don't find this to be true. Is it?
  • emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    You do not have to be parked downhill.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Water leaks are rare and not suppose to happen.....
    Water leaks into the cab are not normal. If the seal are bad (mine was pinch in manufacturing), the dealer will replace it under warrantee. First, though, verify the horizontal crossbar between window and mid gate is firmly latched. Many of the leaks noticed are due to this bar not being fully closed and seated.

Leaks into the bed are another story. The only guarantee is that the rubber mat will not get wet. If it does, they will fix it. Otherwise, the "water management system" will take care of directing the water away from the payload.
  • autoshopper777autoshopper777 Member Posts: 4
    I'm still concerned. I thought I would see more denials. I can't stand water leaks!
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I have made my peace with the Avalanche brakes. They are actually quite good at stopping the truck. The only problem I have now is driving my new Accord. The first application of brakes when I switch vehicles about puts me thru the window in my Accord.
    Both sets of brakes work fine, just worlds apart on pedal feel.
    Amen to problems switching vehicles. I usually have the oppossite problem. When I switch from our four-pinger back to the AV, the light turns green, and I hit the gas. The V-8 is quite different. :)

I should mention that since the dealer replaced the one midgate gasket, I've had no leaks into either the cab OR bed. That's saying something in the rainy northwest!
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    I don't think anybody mention this. In Southern California, there is a high number of Asians living there. I talked to most of my Asian friends and they told me that Chevrolet Avalanche is a anti-Asian styling truck. The only cars that Asian people drive are only Japanese Cars. Well it could be truth since I am not yet to find any Asian person owning a Avalanche. Unlike me, I'll take an opposite approach in liking the styling of the Avalanche.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    anti-asian styling? I think its just plain ugly.

While most oriental cultures base values on the conservative side, I'd doubt they would drive anything that would attract that much attention much less consume that much gas and where they would need a ladder to wash the roof of. I'd think they'd call it personal self-indulgence.

BTW, I drive a Silverado and a Denali.
  • chevyjoe1chevyjoe1 Member Posts: 9
    I WAS THE ORIGINAL HATER I THINK OF THE AVALANCHE. THEN MY BOSS MADE ME TAKE ONE FOR THE WEEK. WOW. TODAY I TELL PEOPLE, TO DRIVE ONE IS TO BUY ONE. IT'S A CAR/TRUCK THE JUST MAKES SENSE. I'VE SOLD THEM TO EVERY AGE GROUP.
    hit the Dealers?
  • caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    Chevrolet.com says early 2003. Will depend on dealer though. For example, the V8 Trailblazers are just starting to trickle in to some dealerships, but we won't be getting them till Feb. (Grr!)

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.
  • chevyjoe1chevyjoe1 Member Posts: 9
    Everything is a little late right now. we are do for a couple of 5.3 trlblzrs in jan. the ssr's are put out till it looks like may.
    When chev. says early 03--I never hold my breath. Heck, it just took me 12 weeks to get a duramaxx for a guy.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I know everyone likes what they like for different reasons, but the WBH just does not look that great. It looks like a base Silverado, because:
    1. Same, misproportioned (too tall) front face. The Av with cladding has a nose that looks much better with the body.
    2. Why the heck did they go to all the trouble of making new body panels and stripping the cladding to put the cheap, black plastic bodyside molding, door handles, and mirrors from a base Silverado? Because of this, the only way it looks remotely good is in black or dark gray to hide it.
    3. Why were the tail-lamps re-done? Now they're smooth and plain.

I just don't like it, and will continue to be thrilled with the look and performance of our '02 black Z66 WITH cladding. Sorry...

Otherwise, to those who asked, you should start seeing the first ones that were ordered in November & December within a month or so.
  • gmwarygmwary Member Posts: 2
    I've been considering looking into getting an Avalanche. Reading though these posts has been most helpful.

My last few GM vehicles were lemons. I had a 1986 Grand Am that spent more time in the shop than I used it -- all for problems with electronics. One time it was in for six weeks straight. It was totalled in an accident when I was rear-ended by an F-150 at 35 MPH. Good thing the kids weren't in the car! Nonetheless, this happened about 45 minutes after the oil pressure gauge stopped working and I told my wife we should take it out and shoot it.

My 1987 Chevy G-30/C6P spent several weeks in the shop for a transmission problem that was found when I brought it in for another problem. The thing is that when I complained about it when I bought the vehicle they said it was "normal". It took them four weeks in the shop to get the proper shim kit for it.

I leased a 1990 Chevy MPV and boy, was that a mistake. Everything kept falling off ... the door handles (inside and out) so that I could not get in or out of the vehicle. The A/C and cooling fan shared a ground wire, which rusted, and while driving through the desert in the southwest I had to drive with the windows open and the heat on or it would overheat. What a nightmare. It goes on and on.

The Avalanche offers an SUV-ish cab for family use (we'll miss the third seat), and with the max 8 foot bed, I can transport materials I need for my residence and vacation home projects.

I currently have a 99 Expedition (Eddie Bauer) which is REALLY nice. It's off lease in June (not expensive at all at $445). Was considering taking advantage of the GM $2000 cash back (I have preapproved 4.99% 60 months in place already).

I am wary about moving forward given my past experiences with GM products. I grew up in a GM family and was always familiar with their systems, but the past few experiences drove me away from them. I am also NOT planning to go back to the dealer that I got the G30 and MPV from.

What am I getting at?

What has the overall experience been with the Avalanche? I'm considering a 4WD/Z71 with a few options, not fully loaded. The bench or buckets don't matter to me, but the buckets may be more comfortable.

Price-wise it seems that people are buying at invoice (which looks like about 10% off MSRP), less the additional $2K cashback.

Comments? Suggestions? Any options that people recommend?

Thanks,
    john
    The AV is my first Chevy purchase. I've had a few new car problems with it, all but one was fixed by the dealer. About par for the new cars I've had in the past (I know, new vehicles shouldn't have problems. New software shouldn't have bugs either. :). The one unfixed problem I have, along with other 2500 owners who's trucks were build Oct 2000, is still stumping Chevy. I can't fill the gas tank more than 3/4. Kinda sucks when you're driving the 8.1L with trailer.

If you check the stats, customer atisfaction with the AV is very high. You can also check out other Chevy Avalanche Fan Clubs on the net and see their feedback. They'll have more postings than this group.

I wouldn't trade this truck for anything else on the market. It does exactly what I need it to, and it certainly turns people's heads and evokes questions in the parking lot.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide to go with.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I know what you are saying. I worked for GM for 35 years and bought plenty of their products and had problems with all of them except for a 81 X car which was supposed to be the worst car GM ever made. To me it was their best. Anyway even though I get the class A discount I got so sick of their junk we bought a Honda van which never had a problem. Well I finally bought a 02 Cavalier loaded and it has never had a problem. So after having it for about 6 months we looked at the Av to replace the van. Have now had that about 6 months and it to is trouble free. I am a nit-pick as far as finding things wrong, and I can't find anything wrong with either vehicle. Everyone says they have came a long way, and I have to agree. Go for it.
  • gmwarygmwary Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your feedback. I contacted a friend in Maine who has one (orange), and he's been very happy with it; no problems.

I did a little hunting in the area and found three that are contenders. All are 4WD and have:

- P265/70R17 WOL tires
    - Driver convenience package
    - HD trailering package
    - Z71 off-road package

Two, blue/dark-charcoal and green/dark-charcoal have the BVE assist steps and 3.73 rear (no roof rack).

One (blue/tan) has no assist steps, a 4.10 rear and roof rack. The base price of this unit is $200 more (at $34,705) due to a price increase (and is therefore newer than the other two).

All three have cloth bench seats.

Given the options and color combos, what do you think? Which is preferable? The vehicles are all out-of-town, so I can't just casually go and check them out.

Thanks again!
    looks really good with the new darker cladding. They blend nicely, like the Pewter does with the lighter '02 cladding.
  • johnnycat8johnnycat8 Member Posts: 12
    well i am about to burst all your bubbles about the av. i am on my second on as the first was bought back by gm, as a lemon many of the firs 6 mounths of them built were full of problems and their are a lot of service bullitens on the av. many water leaks wheel well,cross bar back window also the plastic fram around the rear window likes to crack in summer heat,floor well seals not sealed from the factory,piston problems oil smoke at start up, high oil use i could go on and on. front bering on 4x4.
    but back to the story , my av was in the dealer 88 days for repair i now have a new on with 10,000 miles but this one is a later build and so far the only 2 problems have been smoking on start up fixed with a restricted orifice pcv valve the otheir a wind noise from the windshield this hasnt been fixed yet. but to quote a old saying youd have to pry it from my cold dead hands....yes i still like my av even with all the problems iv had this for me is the most praticall truck,car iv ever had and yes all manufactures are haveing problems this is life as for the 4.10 vs 3.73 great for towing bad for gas and engine life.so unless you tow take the 3.73 i tow a trailer loaded its only about 4,000 lbs and have almost no power differince i only notice it on very steep hills, as for traction control....well it only helps it wont get you through a place that 4x4 is needed all traction control does is limit wheel spin it works by sensing tire spin or lock up and applies brake to a tire spinning or releases a tire locking up it also up shifts the transmission to load the engine down on some cars it also releases the gas so this dose not alow you to get through places that need 4x4 it only helps you to gain some lost traction thus controll
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    It's an utter shock to learn that your friends label the Ava as 'anti-Asian'. I'm an Asian who immigrated to the US as an adult and I've been a happy and proud owner of an Z71 (4x4) for almost a year. I didn't buy it just because it's the most functional vehicle (I have kids and I build my own house). I love the look and so do most of my Asian friends and family. When it was first released, I wasn’t too fond of the aggressive styling such as the side-cladding. Over time, it’s grown on me so much that I can't think of any other vehicles I'd rather have.

My blonde hair blue eye wife couldn't stand the look of it at first. She always drives European and Japanese cars. The size was too intimidating. Once she got use to squeezing the Ava into the garage and comfortable with backing up and parallel parking the beast, she loves to haul the kids around town. She likes the attention she gets driving the monster. I imagine your skeptical Asian friends might adopt my wife's attitude if they keep an open mind and give the Ava a test drive. It handles the road, including the snow and ice, surprisingly well. A Pilipino contractor a block from us owns one as well. I know I'm not the only Asian who loves the Ava. Self-indulgence? What a crock!
  • GSBGSB Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 02 AV in August 02 (4WD 3.73 rear). Best mileage to date is 16.6 mpg all highway (70-75 mph)for 300 miles. Most driving is mixed city/highway and averages 12.0 to 13.0 mpg which is way below the 15 mpg I expected for this type of driving. EPA rating is 13/17.

I have towed a 4000 lb trailer and got about 12.5 mpg which I consider reasonable. However, the last three tanks of gas I have averaged about 10 mpg which I consider lousy. These tanks included a mix of city/highway with occasional auto 4WD selected (10-20% of driving time). Recent outside temps 25F to 35F.

I'm looking for reasons for the low mileage. My AV is running smooth. No misses noted with good all around driveability. Could the front hubs be locked? What about an emissions controls system problem? Cold temps? Any ideas why my mileage is so lousy?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    My 2000 Silverado 5.3 4wd 3.73 is getting 10-12 mpg city and 13-17 highway (depends on the road and how i rive).

My best milage is almost 20mpg driving through the mountains in NC. Couldnt believe it. I think the chevron gas had something to do with it

Also in the winter depending on where you live they have oxygenated gasoline to cut down on emissions during the winter. I notice a drop off on the MPG from Nov. - March then it goes back up to 12-14 city
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Any owners out there who haul dirt bikes in their Av?

Will a normal size 125 fit in the bed?

I am wondering about the clearance for seat and/or handlebars.

Thanks
  • aubrey4x4aubrey4x4 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when quadsteer will be offered on the Avalanche---2004?

And does anyone have any experience with the 1/2T or 3/4T AV pulling a 5th wheel or goose-neck trailer? Trailer size and weight? If so, please let us know your experience, and any problems putting in the trailer hitch mounting plate in the back of the bed with the floor lining that comes w/ the AV, etc.? Thanks advance
    I wouldn't expect to ever see quadrasteer as an option. Other than the extra weight, these are much more manueverable than an ext cab pickup with it's 143.5" wheelbase.
  • aubrey4x4aubrey4x4 Member Posts: 11
    But I've heard from a local Chevy dealer that the Suburban will be coming out with the quadrasteer option in 2004, and both the AV and the Burb have the same wheel base---130".
    But as a former ext cab, and current Av owner I see it as an unecessary expense.
    From what I was told, there is *presently* no way to hook up a 5th wheel trailer to the AV. Two big problems are:
    * The bed is too short. On tight turns, the trailer would end up hitting the cab.
    * The AV's structure is such that you cannot mount the hitch to the bed.

That being said, there are some companies out there looking into the possibilty of making such a mod. Call around to some of the hitch manufacturers and let them know your interest.

We just went with a good-sized trailer. With the 8.1 engine, you can tow a LOT of trailer. :)

Good Luck!

Bruce
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Right now quadrasteer only works on vehicles with leaf springs
    I bought a gallon jug at http://www.performanceproducts.com

It was like $48.99

Reason i bought so much was it was cheaper that way and once a year i coat my bedliner (rhino) with it to clean it. So i go through alot
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    Am considering the purchase of an AV and am curious about a measly 285 hp powering a 7000# truck. If 255 hp is barely adequate (IMHO) for my car that weighs half as much, it concerns me that a truck with double the weight and only 35 more hp would have decent get-up-and-go. Any data available on its 0-60 times?? Any opinions welcome. Mike_Sp1
  • bob503bob503 Member Posts: 1
    I've been seriously considering purchasing a 2003 Avalanche 2500 in the next week or two. This would be a family/recreational vehicle, and I am looking for opinions from Avalanche owners who either were happy with their Avalanches, or wished they purchased another SUV or truck instead? I'm also considering a new Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab as an alternative...it's several thousand less after I price options that bring it close to the features I want on the Avalanche. So, any Avalanche or newer Dodge Ram owners that have strong convictions about their rig, one way or the other, I'd love to get your input. Trying to make sure that the extra cost of a an Avalanche is worth it, and avoid the evil 'buyers remorse' syndrome. Thanks
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    As I consider the purchase of an AV, I am wondering about how easy or difficult it is to clean tar from the cladding on the sides and cleaning baked on smashed bugs on the front cladding. As an non AV owner, it would seem that the rough plastic cladding would be very difficult to clean when compared to a smooth surface. Opinions wanted. Mike_Sp1
  • blackavblackav Member Posts: 5
    I am the owner of a 2003 Z71 Avalanche that I bought in mid January in Virginia. I have previously owned Chevy Trucks and currently own a '97 TransAm. I looked at the Tundra, F150XLT and Dodge Ram SLT. I needed the ability to tow my Pontiac as periodically I race it. Surprisingly, the Chevy 5.3L (327 cu in) in the Avalanche is nimble enough to move on down the road, yet stout enough to pull my car. I opted for the Chevy for a couple of reasons. In as much as I liked the competition, I am a "buy" American person - just my preference. The Toyota was decent, but dollar for dollar I thought the AV with its SUV/Truck ability was better for me. Unfortunately, Dodges - including trucks to certain degree, depreciate far faster that either the Fords or Chevys. Gas mileage was about the same. I do wish the Avalanche was available in the 6.0L as I think that would be a good compromise between the 5.3 and the 8.1; however, my understanding is that GMC will offer its "Avalanche" version this summer with the available 6.0 that comes in Sierras and the Cadillac EXT. Changing the air box to a K&N and adding dual exhaust will increase its power somewhat (intake/exhaust is everything) but I think one will find the 5.3 is adequate. Can't say anything about 0-60 times because to me it's a truck and I'm not racing it. I have a car for that. But you certainly won't slow traffic behind you. One should probably look more at the stopping ability. Consumer Reports gives the Avalance a red circle with a dot (good) for its overall integrity and customer satisfaction. Reading feedback from others and talking to other Avalanche owners has been positive. I think some improvements were incorporated in the 2003 which make it a little better than its first year sibling. Buy the Avalanche. It drives very nice, looks nice (it will grow on you) and I think you'll like it.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Well, sir, you mention getting a Ram 2500 or Avalanche. I'm the owner of an '03 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel, and I love it. I am not among the group that thinks the 'lanche is the ugliest thing this side of the Aztek, but I do think my Ram is a nicer-looking vehicle. You don't mention which engine you're interested in? Gas engines, the new Hemi is probably about the same as the Chevy engine. I've heard it's getting worse mileage than people hoped for. If it's a diesel engine you're looking for, IMHO you can't do better than the Cummins, esp. the High Output version. Chevy's have better automatic trannys (though I've heard good things about the new 48re in the Dodge), though they're probably about the same in manual trannys. I love my Ram - you need to look at your needs and desires and drive both trucks before making a decision.
    I may be wrong but GMC was going to offer a smaller version of the avalanche. It was based on the envoy chassis.
This discussion has been closed.