Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I considered the Ran QC before I bought my Avalanche mainly because of the new Hemi. Just the thought of that 345 HP!! (never actually drove one). Two main reasons I didn't - first and foremost price. With the bigger rebate, my GM card rebate, and GM Supplier Discount pricing, the higher-priced Avalanche was cheaper to buy. The other consideration was the size. I never really liked the 143" wheelbase of the Sierra I was driving, and the Ram is only a couple inches shorter. And the overall lenght about the same. Whereas the Av is onl;y 130" wheelbase and several inches shorter overall. And of course I have an even longer bed that the Ram or my Sierra when I need it, which isn't often. For a beautiful ride and a pickup when I need it the Av is ideal. BTW, I got the model "Without Body Hardware". Never too crazy about the cladding, or even more so, the flat-top wheelwells. However I do wish it had the Av front end.
  • blackavblackav Member Posts: 5
    Ryanbab - you might be right on that. I was at a Pontiac dealership a feeks ago, and I may have not realized the GMC versioned AV was on the Envoy frame. That being the case, it will probably get the 6.L engine (maybe optional), but a bit smaller. I know the Chevy Trailblazer now offers an upgrade 5.3L engine instead of the 4.3 six cylinder. But it's stictly all SUV. Nice looking, but I needed the truck. The AVs WBH do look nice, but with or without, it's a good truck. And that Dodge Hemi is nice and has a good motor. One always respects the competition. Just stay away from the Ford SVTs as they're fast cars disguised in a truck body. Tangled with one in my Pontiac T/A, which is far from stock, and only because of a good shift and maybe a few footpounds more torque, did I keep from being humbled. But I went away and said, damn - that was one quick truck. But I love my AV and when weather breaks just a wee bit more, we'll see how it pulls my T/A.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I tested both of these a lot before making my decision:

Pros for Hemi: Exhaust note is awesome. Lots of torque to pull whatever you need to.

Pros for Chevy 5.3L: MUCH quicker off the line (not even close here). Much better gas mileage (4-5 mpg difference).
  • tn23tn23 Member Posts: 3
    Tundra owner here thinking of getting rid of 02 Tundra for 03 Avalanche! Wife thinks I'm nuts, but w/ Tundra's well known brake problems it might just happen. Like the de-plastic version and the powerful 5.3L is always inviting compared to the weak 4.7L toyota offers. Anyone drove both? Any responses would be welcome.
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    Why limit yourself to 5L in the 1500? Go for the 8L1 found in the 2500 Avalanche. :) The 5L is faster off the line (the times I've raced my manager) but the 8L pulls ahead later. Heck, or just throw a 9K pound trailer on the hitch and see who wins.

Sorry, I can't help you on the Tundra. I have driven the 4Runner and found the ride harsh, even for a truck chassis. Your gas mileage will be worse in the AV.

Good Luck!
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Guys, those who have Z71, how does it do off-road? Can you compare it to other off-road models by Chevy and other companies? Thanks!
    Fellas, is steering in 1500 2003 Av rack-and-pinion or recirculating ball? gmcanada.com has it as a rack, but every other site I checked has it as a ball. So, which one is it?
    Rack or ball steering? Damned if I know.
    I can tell you that compared to the Sierra I had previously, the steering is light. It's nice that it steers easy, but not enough feel and way too easy for my tastes. You can feel every little movement of the steering wheel.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    4wd = recirc ball
    2wd = rack and pinion
    it looks like it's got torsion bars...on a 2wd? That's diff. than the truck.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the 2wd avs, burbs, and tahoes all have torsion bars
    Thanks Ryan.
    And those of you, Av owners, who have had experience with both Rack and Ball, which one do you prefer and why?
    Maybe it's only in Canada (though why?), but gmcanada.com clearly shows all 1500 models have Rack steering. Maybe it's a typo?

See for yourselves

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevytrucks/avalanche/av- al_details.html
    I've ever driven. I notice more difference between it and my Sierra (both R&P), than I did between my '96 Silverado (Ball) and the Sierra. As I said before (I think it was here), the Av steering is too light. Not enough road feel, but you sense every little movement of the wheel. It's like you can't hold the wheel still enough to truly go in a straight line. Make any sense? Maybe my speed-sensitive steering isn't working right and it's always light like when you're going slow.
  • SpangSpang Member Posts: 6
    I know the rebate was increased up to $4000. Was it decreased to $3000?

Any word if the Av will come with diesel power?
    With possibly a GM Loyalty incentive of some kind if you currently own a GM.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    The $1000 Loyalty ended March 31. So did any auto show $500 bonuses that were on.

So, by buying on March 21, I guess that means I saved an extra $1500!
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone know where I can find some visor plaques to cover up the ugly warning sticker on the visors of an S-10?
    streamlinedesign.com
  • womendriverwomendriver Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking to get an Avalanche, I want the luxury of a SUV but we need the versatility of a truck, so this seems like the perfect match. But I am concerned since I will be the primary diver of it...and it is BIG!!! Any other women Avalanche drivers out there? How do you like it?

Thanks
    Suburbans and even Excursions. We always here about how "Big" an Avalanche is. Not really. Heavy, yes. Wheelbase is over a foot shorter than a GM X-Cab pickup, or a Dodge Ram Quad Cab, which makes them much easier to manuever. They are a little tall to step up in to. My Wife and Daughter took mine to Colorado shortly after I got it and loved it. The Chevy Avalanche Fan Club has many Women owners and drivers. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Avalanche is not big? Maybe compared to an Army 5 ton truck it isn't. Look at what other people in the world drive.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Up at my summer place in Alexandria Bay NY I spotted a 03 Av with NO cladding or fender flairs. It was black and looked awesome!
    I thought w/o the cladding they at least had fender flairs from the pics I have seen. I couldn't talk to the owner to see if he took off the flairs. Anybody know ?................geo
    the Fender Flares and Side Molding is a $250 option package. BTW WBH = Without Body Hardware.
    Yea, It did have the body side moulding ! But NO
    wheel flairs. Wish I could of talked to the owner.
    Maybe he took them off like I did on my 2500. It
    was the first one I have ever seen that way.....geo
    the molding. A few have added Suburban or Crew Cab moldings. Mine, being the Pewter, just begs for molding. The lighter colors do look pretty plain. But the Black and also the Dark Gray look really good without needing anything added.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    I thought all AVYS were Recirculating Ball Steering.......Yeah my OLD brochire states it..........Power assisted tooooo...

Coolies
    R U gonna visit here?
  • shoeflypieshoeflypie Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone has seen or have painted the body hardware on the AV. I like the way the Escalade EXT looks with the full paint on the cladding, but like the pricing of the AV.

Thanks
    I have seen a new black AV in my neck of the woods without cladding or the flairs on the wheel lips like the 2500 pickups have. I couldn't talk to the owner to see if he removed the flairs or if it came that way. Looked good too!...geo
    (Without Body Hardware). They come nekkid in 1500 only and for $250 more you can get the Side molding AND Fender Flares Pkg. SHOE.. Lots of folks have painted the cladding. Some leave it textured and some have it sanded smooth.
  • kandorkandor Member Posts: 25
    I'm taking delivery of an Avalanche Wed...red 4wd...any suggestions for after market back up sensors?
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    It seemed to take forever but I am starting to see more and more of these without cladding a boy do they ever look nice. THe claddign was starting to grow on me but the WBH models look good instantly
    http://www.jpcustoms.com

Uses alot of existing GM parts....check em out.....
    I installed the Echomaster by www.karbiz.com. Easy to install, good customer service. The hardest part was getting the install angle correct for the sensors. I have it on both our vehicles and no problems over the last two years of service.
    ...any trouble getting them in the bumper of the Avalanche?
    I declined to buy this from my dealer. Anyone find a cheap source for the GM extended warranty?
    No problem. Just some patience. Karbiz can provide a real nice hole saw for your drill.
  • aubrey4x4aubrey4x4 Member Posts: 11
    Besides the new color, silverstone metallic, does anyone know what changes GM will make for the 2004?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    No posts in 30 days?
    Are the 2004's getting the new style 17" wheels that are on the Tahoes?
    Looks like the vast majority of Avalanches being ordered are WBH's now.
    CHEVY is just starting to post info on their website and giving dealers pricing info....they have just started to manufacture them as well....

I suggest going to CHEVY web site or a dealer...

HTH
    Also some smaller Chevy Avalanche Fun Clubs in North America with websites may have 2004 info.......

HTH
  • jdnbljdnbl Member Posts: 4
    I am going to buy an Avalanche and one told me the 4.10 gears are better...... 2 MPG better doesn't shift down against wind, going up hills. Has anyone had a good comparison on the different gear ratios???? You can really tell the diference driving around town in power, wondring about gas mileage also...
    I would only say get the 4.10 gears if you are towing....

MPG shoudl favor the 3.73 since at highway speed the engine is at lower RPM....and should be using less fuel.,....also you will notice the sticker for both gears give the same MPG...and 2mpg gain is well a lot...over 10% on highway...Which can be due to anything.....

I have also heard the 4.10 gears are weaker since less material is available to transmit the tooth load due to having more teeth in the same diamter.....

HTH
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ...... Unless you have a big boat (21ft+) or camper and your going to tow with it every weekend, unless you live in an area with lot's of steep hills and valleys, unless your living waaay north of the Mason/Dixon line, then you should stay with the 3.73 .... what size motor are you lookin' at, you might only need a 3.50 ...

Terry.
    Dealer claims new motors perform better with higher rpm's looking at 5300 motor... probably trying to sell what he has in stock 4.10. I don't tow much at all .

Jeff
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    the torque peak in the GM motors does occur at a relatively high rpm.
    Dealer claims new motors perform better with higher rpm's looking at 5300 motor... probably trying to sell what he has in stock 4.10. I don't tow much at all .

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.