Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• Options
    timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Did any Avs roll off the line? Pricing (although somewhat limited) available on Edmunds, KBB and Carpoint.
  • Options
    guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    I also live in Metro Detroit, and I saw a white Z-66 Ave on the road in Clawson, MI (just south of Rochester). Pretty sweet looking, but IMHO overpriced.
  • Options
    One of my dealers has two allocations and hasn't sold either. They screwed up on the first one, almost missing the order cutoff. A red/graphite unit was hastily ordered, then they called and asked if that color would be OK (no). (Did I mention that I offered a healthy downpayment to a salesperson a month ago - I'm now dealing with the general manager.) They need to place their April order for a late May build soon, the pricing isn't quite there. I may look to wait for the first to come in and drive it before ordering to check quality issues. Has anyone else priced one?
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I would definitely wait and drive one first. This is not like a Corvette, which you know will drive like a dream without having to take a test drive. This new truck has to be tested out first.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    According to my salesman who i bought my truck from (just chatting the other day) i asked im when the avs are coming out. He said they should have their first one in about 1-2 wks. It is built just gotta ship it.

Ill let you guys know. (last time i asked i asked him when the new 1500HDCC would be out he said about a wk 5 days later they had their first one)

Ryan
  • Options
    is what dealers here are getting as delivery dates. What surprises me is the lack of interest on this board and at the dealers right now. I think most people are on the sidelines wondering how the finished product drives.
  • Options
    I think Edmunds is a fairly good representation of vehicle popularity based on volume of posts for each topic type.

Having said that, I think you are right in that there is very little interest in this vehicle overall so far.

That should be good news for those who are still serious about them. Just don't jump on them right away and pay an over priced sticker. Give it a couple of months after they start to arrive, and I think you'll be able to write your own deal near invoice on them.
  • Options
    truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    there is only one word for this truck: "butt-ugly". OK, that's two words. Ugly alone is not strong enough to describe it. Maybe owners can park them beside their first purchase mistake, the Pontiac Aztec, and wonder which one is actually uglier?
  • Options
    Didnt you know the aztec is an accessory for the av? You can haul one in the bed.

haha

Dark colors on the av look good but the light ones (orange red) look bad
  • Options
    Coming from a Ford Tundra owner, that one really is ironic. Kind of like Al Gore calling Bush a poor loser. lol.

I have seen better looking trucks, but calling it uglier than an Aztek? NM.
  • Options
    wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    If I will buy Ave, I will drive it 99% of time just on the street road. I want to have a comfortable smooth ride. Can anyone tell me what is the ride quality with Z71.
  • Options
    Wes, the Z71 will give up some ride quality due to the specifically tuned shocks and springs used for this application. If the Av rides anything near the Suburban, it will blow the SCrew away, even with Z71. You probably don't need the Z71 if not using the truck off paved roads more than a couple times a month. If your 1% use includes crossing low water, mud, woods, sticks, stones or deep snow - the skid shields would be beneficial.
  • Options
    With the 1500 yet to grace the showroom...

For those with truly rugged needs, the ¾-ton Suburban bits have been worked into an Avalanche 2500 model that includes the 8.1-liter engine and a towing capacity in excess of 12,000 pounds. It will be distinguished by some markings, revised grille, eight-bolt wheels and wheel arch protectors. Look to pay $32,865 for the 2WD version and $35,865 for the four-wheeler. And don't be surprised to find the Vortec 6000 and the diesel engines before long.

Full Article: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3505

• Options
    Now THAT is something that I would seriously consider (after a couple of years of working out the kinks of course).

An Ave with an 8.1 L Cool.
  • Options
    ...just in time for Joe to take delivery of his '04 2500 Av with the 8.1! On the serious side, did you note the 14/18 MPG rating for the Av on TCC? First numbers I've seen.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You think that the ave will last a couple of years? With the economy going south...may be the death of truck sales and more so on the ave.
  • Options
    America's love affair with trucks will continue, on the mainland, anyway. The alcohol blend engine options in the GM line may help over the next few years.
  • Options
    budweiser/shell fuel?

I think your talking about ethenol not alcohol

The "corn" additive? They are supposed to start mixing that with the gas here in the midwest this summmer.
  • Options
    Trucks will always be around. But I hope that more people think that way (regarding giving up on big gas guzzling trucks). That should force MSRP's down and make it more economical for us to buy them in the future. And then put our savings into the gas tank.

I don't care how high gas prices go, I won't own a vehicle unless it has a big V8 in it.
  • Options
    The flexible fuel (E85) vehicles run on either gasoline or 85% ethanol blended fuel produced from corn or other grains. It has been added to gasoline (usually 10%), especially here in the Midwest, well before you were born.
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    You, my man, have summarized the Av looks perfectly. It's not a truck, but it's something that rhymes with it.

What would you expect from something named after a lousy hockey team?
  • Options
    truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    It's all fun and games until someone rips on your hockey team...

Yes, I personally feel the Avalanche is ugly. The concept is great, but why couldn't GM stay away from the gimicky creases and cladding? This was their chance to make up for the over-conservative redesign of the Silverado, but they went overboard almost to ridiculous. Wasn't producing the Aztek enough to show how ridiculous they could get???

Now, please don't come crying to me when the Avalanche kick everyone's [non-permissible content removed] and win the cup!
  • Options
    silvsilv Member Posts: 41
    Everyone knows the cup is coming back to Dallas! Nobody in the league can matchup with the Stars and their 13-0 unbeaten streak.

Anyway, I also agree that the Avalanche is ugly. I don't mind the front end as much as all that body clading. It looks like it belongs in the Pontiac stable. Chevy pickups are currently the best looking on the road but I don't know how long thats going to last with this new design philosophy (Trailblazer, Avalance and Aztec - ALL UGLY).

Silv
  • Options
    My first reaction to the Av - same as most - too much. After seeing one in person and getting in and around it, it has grown on me. Even my wife had said no way because of the looks; she changed her mind at the Chicago Auto Show. Now, as for hockey - it's baseball season guys - Cards play that other team from CO again tonight.
  • Options
    the Terradyne.
  • Options
    goblue7goblue7 Member Posts: 2
    I have been monitoring this site for a while and I finally had to throw my two cents in. Let me first say that the Avalanche styling is striking to say the least! There sure has been alot of complaining on why Chevy did not just go with the same styling as Sil/Sub/Tah. If you read any articles on GM you will always find market share erosion thrown in there somewhere. The only way for GM to gain back some of this market share is to capture competitive owners. Now Sil/Sub/Tah are great products but many people do not like the conservative styling. Many of you who complain about Avalanche styling are already GM owners. I think Chevy has made a concerted effort to differentiate Avalanche from the rest of their line-up. And I think this is a wise move, if the styling were to remain the same Chevy would have a tough time attracting new owners. If you don't like the Avalanche styling GM still has many products to suit your tastes. This is just my two cents. PS. I think Chevy is going to sell everyone of these they can make. There are always a lot people with cash in hand who are ready for something different.
  • Options
    GO CUBS!!!
  • Options
    I should have guessed you were a "wait 'til next year" groupie.
  • Options
    After insisting there would be no 2500...and before the 1500 hits showrooms...

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/c010409a.html
  • Options
    Always have been and always will be a cubs fan

I am a little disgruntled they let grace go though. They are playing pretty good right now. They won today.

Bere had a good outing.
  • Options
    wchen5wchen5 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I saw a white Z66 Avalanche yesterday and I have to say that with the dull gray cladding covering most of the truck, it is pretty ugly. I think the idea of the truck is cool as anything, but like the Aztek, there is just way to much cladding. It makes the truck look akward and unbalanced.
  • Options
    This shows 500 units in inventory:

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/art/416inventory.pdf

• Options
    I received an e-mail from GM answering questions on options. There is no power port available in the rear seat area nor rear seat audio controls. CD with cassette is not an option. Seems like it would be easy to add these items - the Subs have all of these options and are built in the same plant. Why not equip the Av with the popular add-ons?
  • Options
    I agree. It would look much better without all the plastic on it. But this is GM, and GM is all about plastic. They had such luck with it on the inside, they wanted to start showing more of it off on the outside as well. LOL.
  • Options
    You need to look at the C3 instead of the ave. C3 is for the upscale buyer with less of a gladiator look.
  • Options
    I need 4Lo, decent ground clearance, skid plates, 4 Doors, Pickup Bed. C3 only has the bed. I'm offroad most weekends fall & spring. Rear audio helps for the kids on the vacation trips trailering the boat. We can live without it but it would be nice. Silverado is talking 320 HP out of the 5.3l for 2002. Do you think the Av will get it midyear?
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Would it be possible to remove all that body cladding off the avalanche. Like you can remove fender flares. HMMM, have the nice clean no molding or cladding look and a solid color. Think I might like that.

Hunter
  • Options
    something that looks like the aztek.
  • Options
    lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    If you removed all the cladding, you would have a bunch of mis-shaped unfinished sheet metal. Unfortunately the Aves body isn't just a clean shape with molding stuck over it.

Anybody know what the Z-66 is supposed to be?
  • Options
    Linc, the Z66 is the two-wheel drive suspension upgrade. Included are 17" wheels, load-leveling shocks and different springs, traction assist and posi-traction.
  • Options
  • Options
    wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Hey what is the deal? The press release says that the Aves won't be showing up until this fall and that a "soft-launch" will occur in Florida, Texas and California this summer. My local dealer told me last weekend that they expect to get one in by the end of March - first of April - and I am not in one of those three states. Somebody speaketh with fork tongue!! Any explanations other than the obvious?
  • Options
    told me in the next wk or two they will be getting theirs.

They are being built i can tell you that. He has a vin for this av he sold already

Only a matter of time guys

Ryan
  • Options
    But speaking of designs, did you guys see where GM hired the brains behind the PT Cruiser, Bryan Nesbitt, to head up design at Chevrolet.

Kind of makes you wonder what's in store for future Chevy designs. Think he'll try some retro styling with the Chevy brand?

http://www.auto.com/industry/pt24_20010424.htm

Silv

• Options
    They are already going to retro

SSR

That will be one bad [non-permissible content removed] (um car/truck?)
  • Options
    But speaking of designs, did you guys see where GM hired the brains behind the PT Cruiser, Bryan Nesbitt, to head up design at Chevrolet.

Kind of makes you wonder what's in store for future Chevy designs. Think he'll try some retro styling with the Chevy brand?

http://www.auto.com/industry/pt24_20010424.htm

Silv

• Options
    What your dealer tells you is accurate. The focus is on the three top truck states, but each dealer will get an allocation. Mine has two allocations and just sold the red one he ordered (hoping I'd take it) last weekend. Dealerships will have trucks in stock end of April or early May. The national launch is next fall, however - then they will plaster the Av all over print and TV. I have only seen ads in West Coast oriented outdoor magazines so far.
  • Options
    wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Tim,

Thanks for the note above. Tell me if you know - what is the purpose of this method of distribution by GM? Are they just test marketing the three main states with minor distribution elsewhere to see how the Av goes over with the intent that if minor changes need to be made, they can be made before the full scale release to all states this early fall? Or is it just a case of limited production capabilites early-on and releasing the Av primarily in the three "truck-happy" states gets GM the best bang for the buck early in the Av's release history? Thanks for any feedback you might have on this. I am curious whether I should jump at an early release Av or wait until this fall - especially if they may make some early changes or mods. I am also contemplating a wait just to compare the Av to the new 2002 Dodge 4-door that is supposed to hit the market early fall. Most of all - I am just tired of waiting for this thing to hit the dealer lots! By the way -by examining your profile, you wouldn't happen to be a Pontiac fan would you? If so, drop me a note at wfbarto@icx.net to discuss our Pontiacs! Thanks again!

Wayne
  • Options
    They are using the staged release to gauge how this model does prior to a national launch. It appears as though they may adjust distribution, package orders, and estimate total volume based on test markets. They are calling the base Av "high content" because they believe they have included most of what the typical buyer desires. Will they make adjustments? Who knows!?

I was offered a deal three weeks ago for $1,000 over + 1% advertising (I laughed because I gave the general manager the only piece of ad material they had) and passed to wait for a test drive and better definitions of what's available. I also want to see if they will make some other options available - 1 stereo option - come on! There are no power ports in the rear of this vehicle and no one can explain if the BVE option is a tube step or the running boards shown on GM Accessories!

Holding for the time being is the thing to do; see how these initial units fare. If the Dodge rides anything like the Durango or their current trucks, it will be easy to decide on the Av. It depends on your individual requirements, though.

Pontiacs, yes and Chevys. First vehicle (after the family hand-me-down 1970 VW Bug) was a 1973 455 HO GTO which came from the factory with a 400 4 speed. Next was my favorite, a 1972 Chevelle SS 454 with the "rockcrusher" 4 speed and 12 bolt rear. I wish I had it now!
This discussion has been closed.