Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    It's all about the value for what you need. I have a client who just bought an Excab Tundra for only $2K less than my Av. The Av is fully loaded with leather, sunroof, climate control, Z71, etc. In addition, it is fullsize and has all the utility.
  • wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    That crash testing was on a "F150 Extended Cab Pickup." Take the time to research before assuming. Testing on the "F150 Supercrew" was quite good infact. And as for the shorty bed (don't forget the bed extender that gives you a full 7 feet of length, longer than my 1/2 ton stepside's 6, mind you), I was originally all for going with a GMC Sierra Crewcab 4wd, but lets see here.....a rebadged 3/4 ton, DON'T NEED A WORK TRUCK! 6.0 liter engine, yeah it's great but wouldn't it have made more sense to make the 5.3 standard and the 6.0 an option???? I wanted SOME type of mpg, DON'T NEED A WORK TRUCK! And as for the Avalanche, all that plastic and fiberglass molding! Come on! Lets be real here, shall we. GM knows they're playing catch up to Ford, but they made the mistake of making the Avalanche the way it looks, as well as making the starting cost of the truck quite a bit more than the Supercrew. You do the math. F150 Supercrew 4wd XLT, sunroof, power everything + seats, towing package, 4X4 offroad equipment, bed extender, 5.4 liter, $33k out the door. Show me where I can buy an Avalanche with the same content for the same price and I'll go trade in my Supercrew in a heartbeat. NOT!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hypothetical

what if you have something 5 or 6ft long. Yea your bed extender is nice (isnt it plastic also?). But what if you cant get that went and its pouring. Your SOL.
  • stockmutstockmut Member Posts: 21
    You wanted to know where you could get an Av for that price fully loaded... Here's your answer(actually any $98 over invoice would fit the bill)

http://www.marchantchevy.com/f_new_inventory-full.cgi?extend=123740783&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche&year=2002

Ryan, my bed extender's aluminum. I don't know about anyone else's. As for if I have something 5 or 6 feet, flip the extender and I've got more than enough room. Wasn't sure what you were talking about when you wrote "But what if you cant get that went and its pouring. Your SOL."

Stockmut, you might want to have whomever made that site look into getting a better web designer. None of the pages actually work.
    Just went to the official Chevy/ GM site, built an Avalanche with pretty much exactly what I have on my Supercrew. Guess what? Can't get it for less that $37k. Hmmm, is that link you showed for that dealer offering something special beyond what the official Chevy site shows?????
    "But what if you cant get that went and its pouring. Your SOL. "

Should have said

But what if you cant get that wet and its pouring. Your SOL.

Also if you look at the link stock provided the MSRP of the av is $37K and the dealership is selling them for $32
    Selling Price $32,926
    MSRP $37,263

Only thing i didnt notice was the sunroof

everything else was comparble
    Just went to the official Chevy/ GM site, built an Avalanche with pretty much exactly what I have on my Supercrew. Guess what? Can't get it for less that $37k. Hmmm, is that link you showed for that dealer offering something special beyond what the official Chevy site shows?????
  • stockmutstockmut Member Posts: 21
    That's the MSRP(you know the price you never pay for something ;-) ). The website I pointed you to (which works for both Netscape 4.51 and Internet Explorer) is a dealer who sells all his Chevy's for $98 over invoice. (unfortunately I didn't find that site until after I had paid $34500 for mine which includes EVERYTHING you mentioned)
    $1k more than you paid out the door for my Av. However, I'm getting heated leather seats, electronic climate control, hard covered bed with the capability to haul a full 8' (without dropping the tailgate and still having overhang), factory boards, etc.

It is a fully loaded Z71 that would compare to a fully loaded 4WD Screw Lariat. To upgrade the XLT, you're looking at what, $2-3k?
  • robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    I have a fully loaded Av (over 38K msrp). I will tell you for a fact that if you paid 33k for your ford I didn't pay any more for the Av with more options. BTW, you have a choice if you don't like the Av don't by it and just enjoy your ford. Personally you couldn't give me a ford, but again that's my choice.

Bear
    But, are you old enough to purchase?
    will be 22 in sept
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Hey all,

Hooked up the boat & went to the lake Tues. The AV was exellent! My 21 foot boat/trailer weights in about 4500 lbs and it pulled it very nicely. In fact, I set the cruise because everytime I looked down without it, I was way over the speed limit. This is a great vehicle, it does it all in style and comfort.

As for all that like the Fords ... great. To each his own. I just know that Ford has nothing to compare or offer me after testing them all. As I said before, decide with a ride!

Happy driving in your AVs

Roger
  • kooikerkooiker Member Posts: 11
    Hey Av owners, I have a question. I test drove an Av over the weekend and thought it was really nice. The sales woman then left me alone to play with it and I folded down the midgate. It was really quick and easy but it appears that you can't fold the rear seats down if the front buckets are all the way back. I'm pretty tall (6'3") and had the seat all the way back from the test drive. Is this just the way it is? I don't want to have to move the seat forward to an uncomfortable driving position when I'm hauling stuff in the back!

Otherwise I thought it was pretty sweet.
    Kooiker,
    You do need to move it forward to lower the midgate but you can move it *most* of the way back once it is down. I to must have it all the way back so this was a concern I had.

Bear
    Experienced the same thing with the midgate, take the front seat forward and then back to accomodate the rear headrest as you fold the seat. It's definitely a design oversight. If the headrests would tilt, it would take care of the interference.
  • teriabelteriabel Member Posts: 6
    I pretty much have decided to buy an Avalanche, have a 98 Yukon now the ride on the Av is much nicer and the brakes are better. I was looking at options from different dealers. I saw a dealer that is listing a 3rd row seat package, does anyone know what that is. I have not seen it at the Chevy site.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    Chevy and GMC will be sellign a 1/2 ton Crew cab just like the Screw for 2002. Pickuptruck.com should fill in for those needing something cheaper than the Ave.
    they have been selling something

1500HD CC
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Unfortunately the 1500HD crew cab comes only with the 6.0 engine. If it came with the 5.3 engine, I would buy it in a heart beat. 5.3 is more than enough power for the crew cab (at least for those who don't want to drag race at every stop light). I test drove the Av. and the 5.3 had plenty of power. I love the Av. but I just can't get past the looks.....
    The dealer must have done a cut and paste with a Sub or Tahoe. There is no provision for a third row (it would be in the bed under the cover.) If someone was doing an add-on of this type, the liability potential would be huge.

Linc: On the 4-door GM Screw type pickup, are you referring to a 1/2 ton (not HD) from GM for 2002? It would no doubt have the 5.3 as the base engine.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does the term "Screw" refer to? Is it a negative reference to the word "crew", as in crew cab?
    screw is short for the supercrew F-150
  • baseballtexasbaseballtexas Member Posts: 2
    Roger, were there any hills involved in towing your boat? The lake that I go to is surrounded by hills and I was wondering about the power.
    Thanks, Travis
    "The Lake" has to be the Lake of the Ozarks in the hills of west-central MO. A decent area to gauge towing capabilitites. We're headed there early tomorrow - first and last trip towing the boat with the F150. Next time, an Av will take over the duties.
  • domino9domino9 Member Posts: 8
    What are puddle lights/lamps? Where can they be found?

-- thx
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    to illuminate puddles.
  • dsw7311dsw7311 Member Posts: 15
    Have had my Z66 for over two months now, and have over 5800 miles on it. Took it on a road trip to Houston last week got 17-18 MPG going 75 with the cruise. I really like the ride, its much better than my 2000 Impala AS was. I have had to tow a chevrolet van on my trailer, after the rear end leveled back out I hardly knew I was towing anything. Only minor problem has been a misalignment of the rear bumper, I drove thou the dealer lot and seems they all were misaligned
  • thequanthequan Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone seen a 2500 Avalanche or know when they will be out? I have seen quite a few on the road here in S. CA. I like the look of the body colored cladding. I was wondering if the 2500 looks different from the 1500.
    "The Lake" I referred to is local lake here in Kansas City area a few miles away from home. We have hills here, not like Lake of the Ozarks, but hills non the less. The AV took just a touch longer to get from 20 to 40 MPH than I'd like, but once over that, it really cooked and held consistent speed even over the hills on cruise at 70 MPH. Again, very impressed. I am used to towing with a V-6 so this thing really rocks. The torque seems to kick in and carry it over well.

Tim, I am going to Table Rock Lake, southwest corner of MO late next week. Like Lake of the Ozarks, hills abound. I'll report back after I get home as to mileage with boat in tow and performance. I generally go 70 to 75 MPH down the interstate then have to get off on some narrow two lanes complete with hairpins and hollers so, it should be a great test trip. I think it is about 400 miles round trip if memory serves correctly.

One last thing, just received my "splash guards" and bug sheild from the dealer. The mud flaps match the cladding perfectly complete with AVALANCHE and the bow tie on them. I'll install both this weekend and let all know how it went. The bug screen fits the hood perfectly and is smoked.

Roger
    I have not heard when the 2500's are coming, but looking at the picture I received from Chevy the only difference you will see is the wheels and some graphics (if I remember correctly 2500 in the lower cladding.... and no Z66 or Z71 graphics (only 4x4)). Almost all the specs are the same (wheel base, length, height, width, etc.).
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    showme1 - any chance of a pic after you have everything mounted? I'm thinking of getting these with my new AV [build date week of Sept 3]and if I understand it correctly, if they are ordered with the vehicle new, you get a three year warranty on them. I would really like to see how they look on the vehicle, though before I make my decision.
  • investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    I looked through the accessory catalog for the AV and they only showed black splash guards with the Chevy Bowtie and it didn't have "AVALANCHE" on them either. It also stated that if you have the assist steps the front splash guards will not fit only the back will.

My question is are yours gray like the cladding and if possible do you have a part number. Did you get both front and rear guards and do you have the assist steps?

Thanks,
    Mark
    According to the GM web site on accessories you are right that they would be covered for 3 years if you have them installed prior to delivery. The other thing it states is that if you install after delivery you will get the balance of your vehicle warranty or 12 months/12,000 miles whichever is greater.

Bear
    8 lug wheels

basically heavier duty
  • mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi All...I'm still lurking.

Drove by the Chevy Dealer closest to me the other night in my weekly wish to find an Av w/o the cladding....seems like a few dealers (see prior posts) are concerned enough about the cladding color clash to paint the cladding on a few Avs before putting them on the lot. The one I saw was a black Z71. The paint used had an extreme shine to it - like oily model airplane paint. Although the paint job was clean, you could tell it was after-market - and the dealer wanted $1889 for the paint job. Yea, right!

If GM wants to turn the Av into a Love-It truck vs. a love-it or hate-it truck - they're going to have to do something about the cladding. It's the "first impression killer" that hits a good chunk of their target market.

Since dealers are already painting the cladding in order to help sell the Av and the Caddy EXT will be in full production soon (with body color cladding) I believe we will see factory installed, body color cladding on Av by year's end. I'm betting I can stretch my '89 S-10 another 10-15k (putting it close to 200k) and by that time the cladding clash will be no more. Then I'll get EVERYTHING I want in a truck. Best wishes.

-mount1
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Can anyone get a picture of one of these trucks with the body-side cladding painted the same color as the rest of the body and post it to the board? The more colors that can be photographed and posted the better. Perhaps a common consensus will arise about what looks better. I think it will!
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Spent about 2 hours going through a new 1500 2WD Avalanche with the 5.3/3.73 and leather interior last night. I was really impressed with the ride. This thing definately drives better than the Tahoe. Easier handling although I could not pull a u-turn on a 2 lane road w/o going to a 3-point turn. I Like the big 17 inch rims,the 31 gallon tank the composite locking tail-gate, the storage access in the top of the rear side panels and the color matched door handles.
    The Midgate conversion was tested by my wife. The process was pretty intuitive and does not require a big production. The rear window comes out (hang on!) and stows on the backs of the rear 60-40 split seats. (How much for a spare piece of glass?)

The big issue here is the Jurasic Park CLADDING.
    Cons-UGLY!
    Pros-dent free, rust-resistant, light-weight, Piantable (removable?). How do you get road tar out of plastic?
    I am in Calif. so rust is really not an issue.
    I also hear it is built in Mexico?
    Will this thing start "rattling" like crazy in 5 years?
    Thanks for any insight! Opinions on Color?
    Brad in HB
    I stand corrected, "AVALANCHE" is not on the mud flap but the bow tie is. My flaps are grey and match the cladding complete with the same texture and raised shapes on the lower edge just like the lower edge of the cladding.

My AV has the factory grey assist steps that also match the relief of the lower cladding. Both front (#12497727) and rear (#12497728) installed in about 15 minutes per pair.
    If you are thinking of ordering an AV and want steps, I would highly suggest getting the factory assist steps as they match completely, even down to the same relief the cladding has at the lower edge. There is plenty of room in front of the assist steps for your mud flap. If you want a one of a kind look, might consider aftermarket.

I also installed the bug deflector (GM #12497075) in about 30 minutes. Looks cool but, I may end up sending it back as mirrors bounce at speeds in excess of 70 MPH and the hood hinge covers also rattle and viberate. Chevy has put plastic hood hinge covers, looks like a black plastic flap at the base of the windshield on each side, that are sucked up and down at speed so as to sound like light rain hitting the glass or small bugs. I also think the deflector created more wind noise in the cabin. I'll probably call the dealer and see if any other styles of deflectors are availible. Where did the accessory book come from? I'd like to have one if you can let me know please.

Lastly, I do not have photo ability. I can snap a few and send snail mail if you like.

Roger
    Thanks for the info. it certainly does help me out. I will be ordering my mud flaps next week.

As for the accessory book, the parts dept. at the dealer had it but in limited supply so they photo copied the pages for me.
    As far as I'm concerned the cladding serves a major purpose to help protect the truck. Yes, it is a love or hate issue but the truck has every conceiveable option I was looking for in a truck and more. So the cladding was not going to hold up my purchase. If the cladding turns down the road I have the option to paint it. All of the people that see my truck just want to see how everything works and can't believe that something this innovative is actually available, the cladding is never brought up as a concern. This is one of the best riding trucks I have ever driven and my wife drives a Lexus LX470 and it is about a dead heat in the quality of the ride. But if you can't get past the cladding (your loss) you have the option of Ford Screw or Chevy HD. That is why they sell so many different vehicles. You just need to look at the overall picture of what is important to you in a truck.
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    Showme1 - thanks for the information. I think I will go for the mud flaps too, but hold off on the bug shield until I get more info. The part numbers are usefull too. My dealer is calling the regional parts sales office to get info on the AV accessories, since they have absolutely nothing, including an accessory book. Anyone else out there mount a bug shield yet and are willing to post a picture?
    Thanks for the info Roger, the accessories guide states that you can't use the front flaps if you have the assist steps. I couldn't see why that was and it appears that you have shown that this is not a problem. I picked up the accessories catalog at my dealers parts counter. I was thinking of the bug protector, but after reading your feedback, maybe I will pass. The catalog has a few goodies that I have some interest in... One is a very cool (not overbearing) brush guard (no price yet). Another item is a beverage console, (pricey at $285, but again something really cool) that cools and heats the cup holders.

As for the cladding issues. Other than those on this board, I have not heard any negative comments about it. Several people have talked to me about the Av and in some discussions I bring up that some don't like the looks of the cladding. No one has agreed with that and find that it makes the truck look tougher. And I have yet to go anywhere and not draw a few questions or positive comments. I like the protection it provides from car dings. As a side note my dealer has had over 30 Av's delivered in the last 20 days and has less than 5 left. I love the fact that it doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road. Just my opinion (and you know what they say about that!).

One last item I noticed. Had a chance to run at highway speeds with the midgate down, window in and tailgate up. It seems that you will get a higher level of road noise in this configuration. Just an FYI.

Cheers,
    Bear
    Here is a website of a Ford Escape with the body cladding painted:

www.waag.com/showcar
  • teriabelteriabel Member Posts: 6
    Mine just came in yesterday. Its a Red Z71 with Neutral interior. Full leather interior and every option you can get. Only thing I didn't really like was the Assist Steps, took them off today and it looks much better. It drives and handles great.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    on the Molded Hood Protector "Crafted to work in tandem with your Avalanche, this protector will not create side-view mirror vibrations, nor will it affect the windshield spray pattern."

Roger, are you sure you got the correct Molded Hood Protector for the Avalanche?
This discussion has been closed.