Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    The ride of the Sub is the same as the Av. The Av rides better than a Tahoe. And yes the bowtie is stitched into the seat backs near the headrest.

Bear
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Babs, I knew you wanted to be a family man - you're already looking at moving into something with four doors for the kids.

The bowtie is stitched in on all-leather seats; I don't know on the combo cloth/leather option. The Chevy yellow is just a little too bright.

I'll agree that the ride and handling is every bit as smooth and positive as the Suburban, we've driven both. The longer wheelbase makes it a better ride when compared to the 2001 Yukon.

The cladding is not just decoration placed over finished sheetmetal. Putting the cladding on the 4WD only would mean different body parts for the 2WD - and higher production costs/parts proliferation.
    Our Av made it out of Mexico by rail on 8/6. Who knows, we may have driven by it as we passed through Wentzville, MO on our way home over the weekend. The Indigo/Neutral Av may be delivered to the dealership by the end of this week. We ordered 7/6; this Friday would make it exactly 6 weeks.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "four doors for the kids"

Nah just more room.

Just moving up the ladder

started out with a reg cab 2wd S-10 now im at an ext cab 4wd half ton
  • grumpy8grumpy8 Member Posts: 8
    Av fans. I have been hawking the fight for quite awhile and have decided to bite. I am considering ordering a 2wd with Z66 and A95. The local dealer offered to do it for 3% and another $500 of fees. Seems high to me! It did however cause me to ponder two questions, Who pays the $720 delivery fee, (the dealer or GM) and does the dealer get the 3% holdback on an order. And by the way should one get a better deal on an order or getting one from the lot. I would appreciate any advice. I have decided Pewter is for me.
    Thanks
    The destination charge is a base cost, it's there and you're going to pay it. The manufacturer must be the paying party, as it is tacked on to every unit regardless of distance.

Holdback is what is returned to the dealer to cover inventory carrying costs. They will receive holdback on any sold units.

$500 of fees? Usually you'll see an advertising charge of 1 to 3%. This is also returned to the dealer by the manufacturer.

When you say 3%, I take it to mean over invoice. That would put your deal at about $1,500 over invoice and the dealer will get the holdback of another $1,000 or so.

Is it fair? It depends on how many they can order and what they can sell - supply and demand.

Order or buy from stock? All dealers like a sold order, but if they can unload a unit from inventory that hasn't moved, they'll deal. If you can find what you want on a lot, you can put out a take it or leave it offer that may be tough for the dealer to pass on. As more units are sold, allocations are increased, which keeps fresh, different iron on the lot.

Make certain you get the hard cover. Good luck.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    to help the Dealer with the Floorplan interest on inventory. So the longer the vehicle has been on the lot the more interest the Dealer has paid. Theoretically you should be able to get the best deal on one you order, which hasn't cost the Dealer anything yet. Also on a model they're overstocked in. If the Avalanche was selling as well as some here have indicated, I doubt you'd see the discounts that many Dealers are offering. A week ago I counted 60 Av's on one local (Austin, TX) Dealer's lot. Yesterday their website listed 64. No more than a dozen were 2wd.
  • timmyk87timmyk87 Member Posts: 3
    showme1,
    I saw that you had some trouble with your hood protector. When I installed my hood protector that I ordered from the dealer I thought I had installed it properly after I attached the guard to the hood. Then I realized that I had 2 strips of two sided tape left over. I was puzzled by this at first because I know that cost conscience GM isn't very likely to just send you extra stuff like that. So I read further through the instructions and moved on the back and I saw some more instructions telling you to remove the reveal molding on the front doors and place the strips on the side of the windshield. To me this part made no sense at first because I thought how much could these little strips do. So I was lazy and left them off and drove to work the next day and it sounded like a bunch of bugs or rain was hitting the windshield. It became quite annoying so I decided to actually put the two other strips of two sided tape on like the instructions said. After I had done this the noise went away. So I would suggest to anyone that gets the hood deflector (which I must admit looks very nice with the angry headlights) to make sure and follow the instructions fully and make sure these 2 other strips get put on to keep your Av as quiet and smooth as it always is.
  • stockmutstockmut Member Posts: 21
    What part of the country are you located in? I'm
    in NC and have seen some 2WD Avs like the ones you've mentioned around. My preference is always to deal off the lot if what I'm looking for is not too difficult a combination. Would think you could probably get a little better deal than they offered.
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    timmyk87,
    Any chance you could post a picture of your installed hood protector?
  • thequanthequan Member Posts: 6
    I was at Disneyland yesterday and when I was looking for a parking spot I drove by 4 AVs. And on the drive home at 1 AM I saw 2 more. I saw 2 blue, 1 black, 1 red, and 2 pewter. They must be selling well in So Cal.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    timmyk87,
    Does your side mirrors have any movement or vibration with the hood protector on? What about windshield wipers?

I just installed the running boards on my AV. Took over an hour. Next will be the front and back molded mud flaps. Anyone have any tips on how to install them? It looks like I will have to remove the tire to do it.

Once I get them on, I will post more pictures.

Dennis
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    don't know if anybody has covered this already, but I saw an article last night in Trailer Life magazine that GM is introducing a 3/4 ton Avalanche model in 2003 with the 8.1 liter engine as standard equipment. Should be a real mother.
    This will probably be a 2002 model. The GM press release announced it back in April.

http://www.gm.com/cgi-bin/pr_display.pl?2149

It is targeted to be the snowplow toting, fifth wheel pulling, gas eating model.

8 lug wheels (and more) can be seen at:

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_026150
    http://www.gm.com/cgi-bin/pr_display.pl?2438

$49,990 MSRP with two options: Sunroof @ $1,550 and premium paint @ $995. Hmmm...is that to color the cladding? Or, will body-color cladding be standard as on the show truck?

Over 10 grand more for a 345 HP Caddy? - I'll slum it in my low cost Av.

I agree, just a bit pricey... The only thing I get more than a little disappointed with is fact that some of the standard features should be available for the Av. A stronger engine on a SUV which will do little or no real work (in most cases) is disappointing. I would love to have had the option for is the parking assist feature. And the StabiliTrak might be a nice option. They have several other standard features which I would have considered. Now before everyone tells me to buy one of these and sell my Av wait.... I would not load it up with all of these items maybe one of 2 of them... I can't afford a $50,000 truck and would be afraid to use it as one at that price. Also the EXT is not available in a true 4WD and I find it very ugly! I will be looking into the parking assist to see if it can be fitted into an Av.

Bear
  • mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    Looks like they came down from the original estimate pricing of $55,000.00 - but it'll still have that Caddy front end.

Bear, I agree with you - a few of the EXT options should be made available for the Av & of course I'd throw in the body color cladding and bed frame (or lack of cladding) as well.

I heard back from GM Communications - the guy told me he no longer worked for Chevy, but had passed my inquiry about colored cladding on and I should hear back from someone soon. No luck so far.

Another note, the black Av with the Dealer painted cladding (black paint) is still sitting on the lot. I hate to say it, but the shine coming off of the painted cladding (oil base?) actually looks worse than the original grey cladding.

I am also seeing a number of new Avs around South Orange County, Ca. these days. The wife says I'm too damn picky and to order one already - she loves it.
    The dealer accessories person said the part is not available yet - are they behind the times or is it out of stock? Any similar experiences?

timmyk, showme - How long did it take for the dealer to get your GM protector?
    My dealer has them in stock here in FL. I just don't want to get one until I know if other AV owners are experiencing side mirror movement or windshield wiper movement.
  • mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    A few have inquired about pricing. So here are
    some of today's (08/18/2001) auto ads from the Orange County Register (Southern California):

Joe Macpherson Chevrolet: "All" new 2002 Avs - $4000 off MSRP (Lake Forest, Ca)

Selman Chevrolet: "5" New 2002 Avs - $4000 off MSRP (Orange, Ca)

Connel Chevrolet: "5" New 2001 Avs - $4500 off MSRP (Costa Mesa, Ca)
    [**Notes: The Av was released as a 2002 model year. These should be the 4WD as it lists MSRP as $36,868, Sale $32,368]

Nicolas Chevrolet: "4" New 2002 Avs - $4260 off MSRP of $31,250 for a price of $26,990 (Garden Grove, Ca)
    [**Notes: Ad says they have over 40 in stock]

Weseloh & Sons: "All" New 2002 Avs - $4000 off MSRP (San Juan Capistrano, Ca)
    [**Notes: Is the name for real? (We-Sel-loh) Ad says Northface Edition is Excluded - have not seen one up close yet, so I'm heading over.]

Cheers.
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    Just bought my son a blue Z-71 that stickered for $36,993. Paid $31993 from Albertson Chevrolet in Culver City California. That is $5000 off msrp! No arguing price, just take five grand off msrp,pay them and drive home! Great and honest people. The Avalanche is quieter and rides better than my 2001 Denali! Told the kid to take the Denali and I would take the Avalanche but was told no way. Avalanches take a little getting used to in the looks deptbut they grow on you! These are really nice trucks and they are tight as a drum. As you can tell I am really happy with this truck.
    the NASCAR show coming on TNT.Looks like they're using all Black Avalaches for the driver intro's!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Was driving on the highway in Maryland today (Route 97 I think), and off to the left, I saw a Chevy dealer up on a hill off an exit. I glanced over, and at the end of some used cars, was a brand new 2500 Pewter Avalanche. Looked just like the one's I've seen before except for the tougher, yet not as good, looking chrome wheels. They must have just gotten it in, but I guess this means their being built, shipped, and should be available soon. Look around for them.
    Thanks for the excellent answers from the three of you. All were right on the mark. I live in south Fla and truck sales are not as aggressive as in some other parts of the country. Additionally I only buy a new vehicle about every 10 years, so I dearly appreciate the advice. In addition to the possibility of ordering, I got the "well we don't have exactly what you want, what do you think of leather", and "we have a demo with 5700 miles how would that do?" So I suppose even though the styles change, the game is the same. I'll keep you posted.
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Timmyk, thanks for the info. I pulled the instructions and extra tape sent with the defector and will install as suggested. I guess I got in a hurry the first time.

darkeye, I installed the front mud guards without pulling the wheels with no problem. I had my Dad make sure the outside of the guard was verticle and the lower edge was parallel with the axle while I marked the spot. I did pull the back wheels as there is less room to install the guards back there. Again, make sure to have another set of eyes to tell you when you are verticle as it would be easy to install "off plumb". As I indicated earlier, each set took 15 minutes as there are only 4 screws holing them on. I did not drill any hole except one set on the back where the screw goes through the fender flange metal. Be sure to use the wax coated screw for that position to avoid rust problems later.

FYI to everyone, I just got back from a week long 636 mile trip towing my 4500 lb boat and trailer plus all additional "stuff" loaded into the back of the AV. This trip was from KC to Table Rock Lake located in the SW corner of MO. Lots of hills and hollars. The AV pulled like a dream, in fact, I had no trouble keeping up with a buddy who has a built 454 under the hood of his 3/4 ton 4x4 as he too was pulling his boat. We went down to the lake about 80 or so on the 4 lane and came back about 75 MPH. Of course, the two lanes were slower. The AV averaged 11.75 MPG round trip (used 54.106 gal in 636 miles). I imagine we put on about 100 miles without the trailer once we got to the lake to run into Branson for go carts, grocery stores, and the like. I'm sure we would have obtained better mileage had we driven a little more sane. What can I say? The lake was calling and had a party to get back home for.

I'll let everyone know if the double sided tape Tim talks of cures my problem on the deflector too.

Roger

PS. My dealer had my mud guards and hood deflector to me in about 10 days after I took delivery. That time included delivery from TX to KC, MO.
  • timmyk87timmyk87 Member Posts: 3
    gerrick,

I tried to take some pics of the hood deflector yesterday but I cannot seem to find the cord to my digital camera. Hopefully I can locate that here in the near future. I did see some small pics of a lot of the accessories on the avalanche website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/ava12_accessories/index.htm

Check that out gerrick until I find that cord.

darkeye,

I haven't noticed any mirror vibration or windshield wipers vibration since I have installed the deflector. If anyone is experiencing any vibration I'm wondering at what speed so I can see if there is a little with mine at that speed. I purchased some mud flaps also when I received the hood protector. When I installed those I was able to get the front ones on without taking the tires off, but the dealer said to install the rear ones you would need some funny angle on a short drill. I figured I wasn't going to go out and buy a new drill just for this so I decided to take off the back tires and install them that way. With the tires off they installed quite nicely.

Timfarn,

I ordered the hood deflector and the mud flaps when I picked up the vehicle and they got there in around 2 weeks later.

Any more questions please let me know.

• golfsmithgolfsmith Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I left a post on the accessories board but thought I'd get a quicker answer here. Are there any aftermarket bug shields, black nerf bar running boards available yet? Also, I like the cowl-induction hood look. Has anyone heard of a steel hood available yet? Thanks for any help.
    anyone have 16" av rims they are getting rid of?
  • smmack1smmack1 Member Posts: 2
    timmyk,
    I too have the bug shield and am hearing the "noise" while driving. The box it came in was open but everything was there except for the directions. I figured this was okay and as it was simple enough to install. However, I kept the extra pieces of double sided tape but did not know where they went. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I went ahead and ordered the hood protector, mud quards and ventvisors through a friend at a dealer that knows his stuff. He said to expect delivery in 5-10 days. I hope to have the Av yet this week.

Thanks Roger and Timmy for the info.
    I notice a drivers side mirror viberation at speed above 65 MPH dpending on outside wind conditions. Again, I have not installed the tape under the windsheild relief molding yet and plan to very quickly. Hope it solves my mirror bounce as it appears yours is OK.

Steve, I saved the instructions from my deflector install. Maybe timmyk87 did too. I do not have access to scanner to download but could fax to you if need be. Let me know.

Tim, let us know on the vent visors as to fit & function.

Roger
  • teriabelteriabel Member Posts: 6
    I got a Red Z71 AV a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking about getting the bug shield and mud flaps. Does anyone have a picture of theirs with these on, I would like to see a picture of it before I order. The picture at the Chevy site isn't very good.
  • thequanthequan Member Posts: 6
    Are you sure it was a 2500 Av? Because I was at the dealer just last week and he said that you can't even order them cause they weren't making them yet. But he may have just been saying that cause he probably really didn't know.
    Installed the double sided tape under the windshield relief mouldings last night, CURED the problem "noise". Amazing what happens when you follow instructions including page two. Timmyk, thanks for the heads up. I thought page two of the instructions that talked of removal of the moulding was for the window vent visor. Anyone buy that???

For all installing the deflector, you will need a #15 torq bit. I used a 1/4" six point socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet to drive the torq bit to remove the lower screw from the moulding. Otherwise, you will need a driver shorter than 2" to remove the lower screw. I also removed the hood hinge cover to gain better access for the double sided tape at the bottem of the windshield. This cover simply pops off by disengaging three spring clips that hold it down (pry up on it carefully). Sounds complicated but is very simple. Took me about an hour to complete the windshield moulding trick last night plus about 1/2 hour for the install on the hood a couple of week ago. It even seemed to cure most of the drivers side mirror bounce. Mirror still has minor bounce above 75 MPH, nothing to worry about though.

I still recommend both the deflector and mud guards as they both look cool and are very functional. For anyone pulling a trailer, you will really want to consider the mud guards for rock control off the wheels. The deflector will help for rock chips on the front end from other vehicles.

Roger
    what kinda bug deflector is this? Sounds like a pain the butt to me.

Lund interceptor 5-10 min install. Hood predrilled (for the silverado at least)
  • avalanche87avalanche87 Member Posts: 3
    I stopped by that Avalanche Cruise that I talked about in post #728 last week. It was very cool to see about 30 Avalanches all in a row. Included in the Cruise was a White Diamond Cadillac EXT (see EXT message board for details) and a red 2500 Avalanche. I talked to the GM folks about it and they said that the 2500 was in full production and should be out at dealers in the near future. I would bet they would be taking orders on them since they are already making them. They said that the EXT however is not in full production yet and won't be for a little while. It should be on dealer lots early in January.
  • smmack1smmack1 Member Posts: 2
    showme,
    I think I understand where I need to put the tape. It goes on the windshield underneath the 3/4" moulding that runs down the side of the windshield and is held on by approx. 5 Torx screws. Is this correct? Thanks.
    I will be taking pictures of the Vent Visors, mud guards and running boards on my AV this afternoon and will post them to the photo forum. Also, I think I will stop by my Chevy Dealer and get the Hood Protector since it looks like there is no concern for side mirror movement anymore.
  • miles2912miles2912 Member Posts: 7
    4Wheeldrive has links to 20 or so reviews of the Avalanche. Here is the link..

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/avalanche/

Miles

Correct. Instructions as follows: 1)Remove drip moulding by dislodging from the track on relief moulding. 2)Mark edge of relief moulding on the windshield with grease pencil. 3)Remove relief moulding (5 screws). 4)Clean windshield from outside edge of grease pencil mark to edge of windshield with rubbing alcohol. 6)Clean back of moulding with rubbing alcohol. 7)Install tape from bottem edge of top (or horizontal) windshield moulding down edge of windshield to the bottem edge of windshield leaving the plastic cover on outside of tape (to be removed later) You will have to cut to fit first for lenght before removing protective backing on the tape. 8)Install relief moulding with 5 screws. 9)Pull relief moulding back at top to remove the tape cover, removing from top to bottem. 10)Press the moulding down firmly to contact tape. 11)Install drip edge back onto track on relief moulding. Repeat for other side.

Again, I removed the hood hinge cover by prying it up and one screw from the plastic wiper cover in order to gain better access to bottem of windshield for cleaning and installation of tape.

Process sounds complicated but is simple after you get started & tooled up.

Let me know if I can provide further info. Roger
    One other thing I forgot about that some may have interest in. AFTER I purchased my mud guards and bug deflector from the dealer, I heard about a site to purchase parts at wholesale direct from GM. Site address .. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ The part numbers for the mud guards and hood deflector are on post #692 and #693 of this discussion. Thought this might help save someone about $60.00 on the purchase of all three items. I do not know the part # for the vent visors. Roger
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    the name is misleading. It is not a direct purchase source from GM. Rather, it's Flow Chevrolet, LLC...just another creative dealer.
  • warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    At www.gm.com a news release details the Terra4 concept truck sounds just like the Av but the GMC version. But is still a concept. www.gm.com news and events then news releases.
    I can't find where I saw it, but it was mentioned that the GMC product would be a midsize - an Envoy with a midgate?

Our Av arrived yesterday, looked at it in the headlights returning from Des Moines last night. The sales manager should call today after it is prepped and ready for delivery. Goodbye, F150.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    What do "you" keep in "your" rear side storage compartments?

Message for anyone picking up a their new AV...Clifford Martin has prepared a printable version of his vehicle delivery checklist which can be found at http://suv.s5.com/checklist.htm

Thanks Cliff.

Question??

When is an AV not made with rear tinted windows? Does this feature only come with a certain option package? I don't recall seeing any mention of this in any AV literature!

Brad

• glfwebglfweb Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy black 4wd Avalanche, sunroof, convenience and off road package. My wife thinks I am nuts. I would appreciate opinions about overall satisfaction, what you like most, like least. Also, if any leaks e.g. midgate or at cover. Thank you for any insight.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Sounds like your "sold" and your wife should be the one asking for opinions?
    Much has already be written on this subject (go to the top of this page to the link "Chevrolet Avalanche Owners Club" and just start "leafing" through all the post. I'm certain you will find exactly what you are looking for.
    I suggest on your next test drive to stop by a local car wash and test the weather worthiness yourself!

Have fun
    Brad
    Brad,
    For some reason some of the Av's shipped without rear window tinting. This was the case with mine. I made it a condition of sale that they correct this. The tinting was a aftermarker job, but the results were very good. I looks as good as any from the factory (don't know if it would last as long). Someone stated that they had seen stickers listing a $150 credit for not having the tint.

As for what I keep in the side storage compartments, wouldn't you like to know!! Really, I haven't used them for much other than jumper cables and a small toolkit. Still playing with some of this stuff.

As for the question on water tightness of the Av. The bed is classed as water resistant, but I have never found more than a drop or 2 inside the cargo area. As for the midgate, I have yet to test this but it should be water tight. This will be tested only if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time without the covers on. I expect it will be fine just don't want to deal with the cleanup if I am wrong.

The ride is very nice, for a 4x4 with the Z71 package It rides better than a Tahoe 4x4 non-Z71.

Bear
    Local So Fla dealer sold me one for invoice +$100. Tip for potential buyers, if you can get 4 buddies you could get a fleet price at a substantial savings. At the risk of sounding like a non truck owner does anybody know where one can get a cover for this truck? Mine will spend an inordinate amount of time at the airport and experience has proven that jet fuel plays havoc with the paint and probably with the coveted cladding. This is one extremely cool vehicle, what a ride.
This discussion has been closed.