Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    How many miles are on your Av? My Z71's first tank (dealer fill) was 15.2, then 17.2 and 17.7. I just got to 1/4 tank @ 400 miles with a road trip and speeds of 60-65 MPH; about 50 miles at 70. Roughly, this tank should be close to 18 MPG. I have 1,900 miles logged.

I've been easy on the pedal; no full throttle runs until at least 5,000 miles. Towing has been minimal (2000# or less and the 3,500# boat only across town.

With gas prices at $1.719, I've been driving a couple MPH less than usual, this may help. The Av pushes a lot of air - slower speeds and adequate break-in time may be your best answer.
  • jlj7jlj7 Member Posts: 5
    I have been seriously considering buying an Avalanche for the past 6 months. I am just trying to convince myself I want another loan to pay off. Until recently I had no reservation about purchasing this vehicle.

Yesterday a friend told me that he talked to a friend (I know 2nd, 3rd hand info.) that works in a Chevy service department and said the AV is a "recall nightmare". They can't keep the mid-gate water tight into the cab, the rear window rattles along with the ubiquitous "it is all plastic".

The plastic cladding does not bother me but water leaking into the cab and the noisy rear window do.

Have any of you had these problems? Do any of you regret buying this vehicle?
    Jay: Jump into one for a test drive; take it to the local wash, beat on the cladding, and check out what's underneath. And, don't let the ride spoil you in case you still have reservations about leaks or rattles.

I've been surprised at how tight everything is so far. No rattles from the gate or the window and the tailgate fits very tightly. We'll see what the next several thousand miles bring.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    No water getting through any areas of my AV. It hasn't rained yet but I have been washing mine on a regular basis since I bought it Aug 23rd (3 weeks).
    No noise(s)/rattle(s) to report either.

I extensively test-drove the AV (100 Mile+/-) before I laid down my hard-earned cash. I "did" take one to the local wishy-wash and with the hard-cover panels removed I sprayed the midgate area. No water got through. Now you have to consider... how often do would you even need to direct this much water toward the mid-gate area? I don't think you could find a rain-storm that would threaten the mid-gate more than this!
    I bet you a million $$, your friends, friend is just put-off by the negative opinions of the AV concept and the different appearance! Baskin & Robbins has 31 Flavors for a reason! Can't please everyone.
    God Bless America!
    God Bless the world!

Brad in SoCal
  • jlj7jlj7 Member Posts: 5
    Have you tried the car wash with the mid-gate down, window in place and hard covers on?

Jay
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Was trapped in DC after Tuesday. Drove my rental car back to Denver Thursday/Friday. Didn't need gas in Indianapolis, but if I remember correctly it was about $1.50/gal. Prices ran from a low of $1.33 in Harrisburg PA, to $1.76 in Colby, Kansas. Didn't see any price gouging.
    -- Don
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone considered painting the plastic cladding on the Avalanche? Seen some pics with it done-looks great!
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    I too have a Z-66. Mine has been running from a low of 14 MPG to a high (very first tank) of 19.33 MPG. I generally average around 15.5 to 16 with 4100 miles since 7/29/01. My normal tanks are about 2/3 highway (75 MPH) and 1/3 city with few stoplights to the office. I am going to try to get mine in for a couple of service issues soon and will advise.

I have had not one concern with water in the cab area and just a few droplets in the bed in heavy rain/car washes. NO REGRETS on this vehicle yet other than the gas pump.
    Roger
  • sautercsauterc Member Posts: 2
    I visited the web-site where you saw the painted plastic. Quite impressive. The shocker was that I saw one painted the exact shade of red the very next day here in Tampa. Doubly impressive in person.

-Chad
  • soozysoozy Member Posts: 2
    Am in the middle of a 2000 mile road trip with my Z71, and my expectations from this truck have been exceeded.

Started trip with 1400 miles on the odo. First tank averaged 17.5 mpg @ 75 MPH. Next tankful, I averaged 17.9 mpg @ 70 MPH. Both tanks were driving into a pretty heavy wind. Ride has been superb.

I have been barraged with positive comments. Right before the trip, I was parked in front of Costco, waiting for my wife when my 1 year old decided to fill her pants. I had her in the front passenger seat, legs up in the air, changing the diaper. Twice within 5 minutes, I had people knocking on my window to ask questions!

Negatives - I have quite a bit of water under the rubber mat after rains. Top of mat is dry, but I can see some water lines running down the inside middle of the bed walls. I have a loud rattle coming from the passenger outside mirror where it attaches to the door, and some wind noise from the sunroof. I also wish the power door locks would unlock the tailgate too. That's a pain.
    Lastly, I have the graphite leather interior, and everything is the same color - seats, doors, console, dash, carpet - everything except for the tan headliner. It needs some color contrast, like all the other new interiors these days.

All in all, I couldn't be happier.
  • scottyn42000scottyn42000 Member Posts: 4
    Depending on my driving, I am getting 15.5 for backroads, and almost 18 HWY. My salesman told me when I drove my Z71 off the lot to give the AV about 5000 miles of good break in before getting the best mileage. As of yet I can't complain. I traded in my 4-Runner V6 that got 15 MPG on a good day.
    Has anyone seen the new 0% financing adds? Kind of wish I delayed buying by a few days.
    My gas mileage was pretty bad the first couple tanks (about 12-13 mpg). My latest tank is getting about 15-16. I have a 2wd 1500 with approx. 1400 miles.

ps...I hear Trenz Co. has a Billet Grill out for the new AV but no pics available yet.

I also wonder if Mud-guards make any sense on the Avalanche. I think the purpose is to protect the vehicle from any objects that are "kicked-up" by the tires....is anything kicked-up by the tires going to harm the cladding? Just a thought. I do like the little "Notches" on the mud guards that are carried over from the cladding design.

Brad in SoCal
    Over time, debris pelting any material is going to take its toll. The cladding won't chip and rust, but it may look scarred or weathered. I put on the guards to keep mud, grass and leaves off the running boards. They also do their part in keeping the side of the Av cleaner by reducing road spray. The design compliments the styling.
  • drjilldrjill Member Posts: 3
    Wondered if the convenience package is worth it?
    Seems the main advantage is climate control.
    Also...can you tell any difference in the ride between the one with the premium on-road package and the one without?
    thanks for the info
  • drjilldrjill Member Posts: 3
    Wondered if the convenience package is worth it?
    Seems the main advantage is climate control.
    Also...can you tell any difference in the ride between the one with the premium on-road package and the one without?
    thanks for the info
  • horseofcoursehorseofcourse Member Posts: 2
    We are close to purchasing an AV - and pricing is important. Can you explain what GMS pricing is? Sounded real good in your post (#879). Email privately if you wish...sharon.jordan@bos.frb.org.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    The convenience package was worth it for me. The climate control is a great advantage plus I like the security and insurance benefit of the OnStar.

The self dimming right outside mirror is a plus for night time driving.

The price is right figuring one year of OnStar is $200. MSRP for the option is 546 on my sticker so the balance pays for the climate control.

Not a bad deal.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    discount. It's what a GM Employee could purchase one for PLUS 4%. It's listed on the Invoice (I'm told, haven't actually looked at one.) A Salesman told me it would be around $5k off on a $35K Tahoe. It's voluntary on the part of the Dealer. In most cases if a Dealer has enough Inventory that they'll honor it they will also discount one nearly that without GMS. BTW....It's something you have to qualify for.
    The most used feature of the convenience package is the homelink. I programmed my garage, wife's garage and hunting location. I ordered the convenience pkg for the climate control and the electrochromatic outside mirror; also added the sunroof because of the package discount - why not?
    Anyone have any links to sites that actually have accessories for the Avalanche and maybe even pictures of the goods?

My mouse is worn out looking!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!
  • chevyusa1chevyusa1 Member Posts: 5
    I am currently shopping for a black chevrolet avalanche and I am interested in painting the cladding to match the exterior. Does anyone know the website that shows pictures of the painted cladding? I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Thanks
    Go see link below they have a pic there of some.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/

Sharp looking!

• mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    The pics on pickuptruck.com do look good, but check it out up close. A dealer in my area painted the cladding on a black Z66. It looks good from a distance, but terrible from close up - paint's shine is bad - like oil based model paint - stands out almost as much as the original cladding. I have not checked in a couple of weeks, but the painted Av sat on their corner display for at least two months without selling.
    I'm sure other painters can do a much better job and get good result. Make sure you can see a real world example. Good luck.

-mount1
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    txyank1 has it correct; GMS pricing is GM employee price + 4%. Your employer has to be a supplier for GM though to get it. You have to enter a supplier code at GM's website and then they will send you the form you use with the dealer. I heard that some aviation group has a supplier number with GM and a lot of people were joining and paying the ~$10 dues to get the discount. May want to try that. goto http://gmsupplierdiscount.com/ for more GM info. Also remember that the dealer does not have to honor the discount program ( this usually happens on high demand vehicles). When I ordered my AV in July, 5 dealers turned me down...the 6th got by business.

Now to the savings: Each discount is different, but in a nutshell, the gm employee price (GMO)is 17% below MSRP...so GMS price would be GMO + 4%

Ordered my Z71 1500 AV with all options but leather for:

MSRP: $37,484

Invoice: $33,203.36

GMO: $31,732.80

GMO+4%: $33,002.11 ---price as ordered with NO haggling

I took delivery last week and got another $500 dealer incentive rebate (as part of the GMS probram, you also get all dealer incentives)that started in September. Make sure they take this rebate off before taxes, though. So, final cost was 32,502.11, ~5K off MSRP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions..this is what this forum is for: it helped me when I was shopping too.

After 10 days, I can honestly say this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. No problems, concerns, or complaints. It is everything I wanted.

Gerrick

• sautercsauterc Member Posts: 2
    For the past month I've sat back and read this entire board as I get close to making the decision to purchase an Avalanche. I too, like others on this board, have an interest in painting the cladding. I called some of my friends in the auto industry and they dug around some for me. The news is not good. No primer yet found to allow paint to reliably adhere to the cladding.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ANYONE with a Z66 or an av with 16" rims taking them off and replacing with aftermarket wheels? If you are selling your rims could you please let me know

Thanks

Ryan
    Dealers have Av's advertised for 4k off even without GMS.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    New AV 4wd soft cover $29,999 plus tax and fees.
  • latebloomerlatebloomer Member Posts: 1
    After reading all the messages about the AV, I just have to add my comments about who is buying this vehicle. I'm an 'over 50' female with my own business that requires hauling valuable artwork, antiques, building supplies etc. Have had Jeeps for 5 years and was increasingly disatisfied with their flexibility. Two days before I signed the papers for yet another Jeep, I saw my first AV and decided to test drive one. I was astounded.....ordered one on the spot. Have put almost 1000 miles on it and loaded it to the hilt several times. Getting 17+ mpg, driving mountainous roads, gravel, interstate etc. Am average height, but the hand holds and bumper steps make getting in and out a breeze. No topper to work around (the main reason I never wanted a 'regular' pickup) and the panels are simple to negotiate. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.....I am more pleased with this vehicle than any other I have ever driven.
    The only thing that bugs me is that people think I must be driving my husband's truck! Hope GM doesn't neglect the female market......I know there are others out there who would love it like I do. Now I'd just like to know where I could find a picture of the tent accessory?
    Is shown here! Just scroll to the top of the page and hit the chevrolet avalanche owners link and there you will find a link to photos. I hear the tent is a pain in the A## to assemble, even with 2 people.

Brad in SoCal

PS-glad you like you AV
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I would think it the plastic were scuffed up with scotchbrite or something similiar, then painted with a primer that had a flex agent in it. Followed by a base coat/clear coat with flex agent it would stick for a couple of years.
    ot would have to be smooth. I've seen some Chevy's with custom packages where they've painted the plastic on the top of the bumper and it doesn't look that good with the rough finish. That's one of the things I like better about the GMC.
    Go to Caddy's web page and look for the caddy version. It is awesome. They paint all the grey trim. And the sound system is bose.

I may buy the sound system and upgrade mine. I love a good subwoofer thump once in a while!
    for the bed of my AV. Everytime I look under the rubber cargo mat there is moisture present. I opened it up tonight and rolled up the mat and used my "absorber" to dry the area tonight.
    How long do these spray liners last and what are their pros and cons? I know it is "hell" trying to move or slide anything on the rubber mat and I assume the spray liners act much the same.
    Just thinking out loud.

Brad in SoCal
    spary ins

line x and rhino have lifetime warranties
  • horseofcoursehorseofcourse Member Posts: 2
    We're looking into the GMS pricing...1st the truck then the trailer (for my horse).
    on the cladding would contrast even with a perfect paint match. How long before the aftermarket comes out with replacement panels that are smooth and made to be painted?

Gerrick - quick production and delivery on your Av, glad to hear you're liking it.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    much more easily on the spray-in liners than they will on the mat. The liners, especially Line-X, are a relatively hard surface. Wouldn't it be nice if GM had just made the Av without the non-optional leaks?
    -- Don
    The mat will grab more than a liner. Brad, after letting the mat dry and drying the bed, do you still see water after the next wash or rain? I have yet to see a leak, non-optional or not.
    around with a bedliner?

Not with my rhino liner. Everything stays put. Only thing i almost lost was a stair stringer (6 step) cause i took a corner to fast and the tailgate was down (had some 16footers in my truck)
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    Was thinking of getting spray-in liner so glad to read discussion of pros and cons. My main reason was long term protection of bed from shovels, etc. during unloading of mulch and dirt; any comments?

On locking gas filler covers; I was disappointed to find the Avalanche did not have inside release covers or at least some form of security for the filler. Any suggestions or similar concerns by others?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Just a few questions about the Av:

Before talking to my auto insurance company, does anybody know how the insurance cost of the Avalanche compares to say a Silverado or F-150? Or even a Suburban/Tahoe? Is there any difference in cost due to the unique features of the Av? How about difference in registration costs? Is it classified as an SUV or a truck?

In the back seat, is there an arm rest that pulls down between the two outer seats? I thought I remember noticing one when I sat in the Av a while back, but the website doesn't list an armrest as a standard feature.

How does the comfort of the standard front bench seat compare to the optional bucket seats on long trips? Is thigh support a concern in the bench seat?
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    The AV is going to run about $25 to $50 more than the Tahoe or Suburban with similar equipment, per 6 months here in MO. Can't explain why as the SUB and Tahoe sticker for more $. Must be in perceived cost of repair in the event of accident.

I registered mine as an automobile instead of a truck. If you register as a truck, you must purchase a license equal to max gross vehicle weight with trailer you will pull, automobile has no limit, thus no chance for ticket from DOT. DOT has also been issuing tickets to truck owners pulling an RV or boat on back roads for weight limit/width limit issues. Again, this information comes from MO.

Yes, there is an arm rest in back seat that pulls down with cup holders. I find the front bench to be very comfortable and offers plenty of support. Most comfy seats of any car I own. Hope this helps.
    Roger
  • bshef1bshef1 Member Posts: 11
    I wrote to AirAid inquiring about a FIPK for my new 1500 Avalanche and they wrote back reporting that their system for the chevy 8.1L fits the Avalanche 5.3
    Anyone know who I should purchase this from?
    Thanks for any input
    Brad in SoCal
    aiaid? Do you mean air raid?

FIPK is made by K&N not air raid
    Insurance on the Av in IL is $100 per year more than the '99 F150 X-Cab we traded. It is only $60 more annually than the '92 Jimmy. $200 more than '96 Bonneville.

On registration, IL requires anything with a bed to carry truck plates. The registration and plate costs track with cars anyway. In IA, GM called the Av an SUV, so effective 08/23/01 annual costs are around $350 as opposed to $70 per year. Purchases prior to 08/23 were grandfathered to the lower rate.

Moral... varies by state - check your NJ rules.

Check out the thread "avalanches in NY state" - it could have some relevance because of your proximity to NY.
  • bshef1bshef1 Member Posts: 11
    My bad. I figured all cone shaped air systems were referred to as this.....
    Yes.....I mean Airaid.
    I hauled some furniture in my AVY. I removed covers and put into that bag. Two people make that easier.

I must say the midgate and window worked perfect. I fit a lot of crap in there and not a darn thing moves on that mat. I could not even slide boxes. Kinda made me work harder but was worth it. The tie downs came in handy.

Plus the breeze blowing through with the sunroof open was very nice.

The AVY is the ultimate truck/SUV/UVV whatever it is.
    it wasn't so ugly!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Why would one want to put a spray in liner in a AV?
    You have a composite box, wouldn't a spray in mess up the midgate in working right.
This discussion has been closed.