Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    I can't see what about the rear fender makes it not a Dart.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    edited December 2012
    You need to look at the full sized picture, the rear fender looks a lot different than this '63 Dart:

Instead, it has the dropping trim line like this Polara:

Also, I just noticed the Dart has the gas cap on the side, unlike the Polara (behind the license plate) in both pics.
    edited December 2012
    Well, I'll still put two chips on its being a Dart.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    edited December 2012
    You need to look at the full sized picture, the rear fender looks a lot different than this '63 Dart

That's because '63 was the first year for the car you have pictured. In '62 Dodge used the Dart name on its downsized full-size line; Polara was just the name of the top trim level.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Fiat Dino 246 (C?) with the targa top.

Nope, the Fiat Dino came as a coupe or spider, the purple car is the "Ferrari" version (branded as a "Dino" but not as a Ferrari) known as a Dino 246 GTS (steel top versions were badged as a 246 GT.)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I know the 63 Mopars had cleaner and more conventional lines (and sold better accordingly), but I still kind of like the quirkiness of the 62's. Probably the same reason I liked the 59 GM lineup or the 58 Edsel! But in aircraft I'll take the clean lines of a B707 over a DC8 any day. I know, no consistency whatsoever. :D

"Well, I'll still put two chips on its being a Dart. "

The second picture? The '63? Nope, no way. No filler cap. CANNOT BE A DART.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Morris Minor 1000 Traveller from about 1960. I have never got the whole Woody thing

Cheers

Graham
    edited December 2012
    Morris Minor 1000 Traveller from about 1960.

That's right Graham. I think the choice of the name "Traveller" for Minor wagons was curious since Travellers are itinerant Irish nomads with a reputation for stealing and causing trouble around the British isles, the equivalent of naming a US wagon the "Hobo" or "Gypsy".

Woodie versions of the Mini wagon were called Travellers as well.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Those old Woodies are great for guys who like sanding and varnishing every year in addition to doing oil changes and all the other constant maintenance cars seem to need.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's the same allure that intoxicates people who like wooden boats. Wood is "warm" and cozy, steel is cold and heartless!

What I never got is how long the Brits kept wood as part of the *structure* of the car. I can't imagine how many forests were felled to build cars that shook apart and suffered from dry rot. :P
  • colleen_rcolleen_r Member Posts: 9
    Hi there--

I'm trying to determine if the Plymouth Belvedere convertible in my photo is a '57 or '58.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleendeluxe/

I only have the driver's side shot. I know that there were slight modifications to the front and rear ends of the '58 model that would distinguish it from the '57, but I can't tell from my photo. Can anyone help out with this?

Much thanks in advance!
    Colleen
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    Colleen, that's definitely a '57 with the tall taillight lens. The '58's had a small round taillight at the bottom of the fin, and from there up had an insert of bright trim.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Awesome! Thanks so much--I knew I'd come to the right place! I'm doing a paper on Virgil Exner and this awesome photo is my point of inspiration, so I wanted to be sure I had accurate info.

Really appreciate it!
    I sat in on a designer's discussion at the Studebaker National Museum in July of this year and listened to Virgil Exner, Jr.--seemed like a nice, soft-spoken fellow and his Dad also worked for Studebaker (well, Loewy Design) before he went to Chrysler.

Good luck!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

G'day

The style says mid fifties Britain and there is something not quite Jaguar about the bumper and driving lights. There were several speciality manufacturers which limped on after the second world war, petering out in the 1960s. Most of them made it through the second world war making parts for aeroplanes, drifted back into motor manufacture, then died. Most of them were around Coventry which was heavily bombed.

The windscreen hints at Triumph, but it isn't.

Any better idea?

Cheers

Graham
  • magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154
    Sorry - been away from my computer for a few days, so haven't been catching up.

This one is a Lea Francis - I would guess a 14hp. They made these from about 1948 / 53, and together with their saloon counterparts were just about the last products from this long established Coventry firm. There have been several attempts to revive the name but nothing has come of it.
    very awkward looking car. Reminds me of the Triumph 1800 or the MG YA.

Funny, both MG and Triumph took a shot at 4 seaters and failed in the late 40s/early 50s, but then scored big time with 2-seaters at the same time or soon after.
    Oh, wow, that's cool! Right now I'm reading what seems to be the only biography on Exner, Sr. that's out there, called Virgil Exner: Visioneer, and the author seems to be pretty passionate about detailing some of Exner's other design highlights, besides the tailfin for which he is so well known.

The paper I'm writing is actually for a Digital Imaging class in my Master's of Library and Information Science program--I spent some time in the archives at the Detroit Historical Society and was helping to digitize some of their biographical content. Basically, I got handed a stack of folders of historical figures whose last names all started with E, and Exner was one of them. I chose to focus on him because his folder had the most interesting content--i.e., photos of some of the cars he designed. This photo we're talking about was the most intriguing to me because it was one of only two color photographs, and the only one with a model, and an African-American model at that, which I thought was very interesting considering that it was the late 1950s. That has led me to research more about the history of female car models, and I would be very interested to know how common it was for African-American women to be car models in that time period, but I haven't had much luck finding sources on that. I will probably look into it more for my own interest, because getting into too much detail away on that takes away from the focus on Exner (I'm supposed to be demonstrating why I think his photos should be a permanent part of the DHS' Digital Collection, scheduled to be finished in 2014, and not just accessible internally as a kind of sidenote).

But back to the cars! I've uploaded the other photos I have of Exner-designed cars if you feel like taking a pop quiz. ;) I haven't looked at them too closely yet or done any research on them, as I'm focusing on the color photo of the Belvedere, but if you know any of them off the top of your head, it would sure be useful to me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleendeluxe/sets/72157632228245019/
    Yep, those were sold under the moniker Lea-Francis 2.5 Litre.

You've got some nice shots of primarily his forward look. If you want to focus fully on Exner though, you'll also want to get a few pix of early 60's like the Chrysler where he moved away from upright fins to a more canted look. The 61 Plymouth was particularly weird. And of course the infamous downsized 62 Fury and Polara that led to his exit. Exner also worked for Raymond Loewy in the early 50's and was involved in some of the earlier post war Studebaker designs. Good Luck and have fun!
    Thanks! I'll be sure to look into the Fury and Polara if that was a source of contention. However, the photos are all I have to work with, because the paper is related more to my experience as an archivist-for-a-semester and my argument for why I think those photos should be a permanent part of their digital collection--but I could also use some of the points you raised to argue for further accession of what they would consider "Series I" photographs that would help to tell his full story.

So, do YOU know the year, make & model on those cars pictured? ;)

The production cars are all Chryslers. The light blue convertible and #7 & 19 with the fins are 57's. #1 & 21 are 55's. #8 & 20 with the smaller fins are 56's. #3 & 16 is a Chrysler Imperial, but I'm not sure if it is a 55 or 56 (if I had to guess I'd probably pick 56). The other sporty models are concept cars from that era, but I'm not good on those names.

Maybe wgrafer, bhill, or andre can tell you for sure. They are very knowledgeable in this.
    A lot of Mercury's in this one which is a bit unusual. A 63 on the left ahead of the 56 (I think) Chevy wagon and maybe a 62 or 63 Comet ahead of it. A 61 Merc on the other side behind the 60 Ford.
    I always liked the rear view of '61 Mercurys, but I never saw many. Too bad they didn't make one like a Ford Starliner hardtop.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Here's my stab at them. In the order I'm seeing them...
    #021 is a '55 New Yorker
    #020 is a '56, and I think the little fake vents on the rear of the fin denote it as a New Yorker as well
    #019 is a 1957, and judging from the "Sky-hi" rear window, I think it's a New Yorker hardtop coupe.
    #018 is the DeSoto Adventurer I concept car, which I believe is from 1953. IIRC, it was Exner's favorite show car, and he actually drove it as his personal car for a time. I think it was powered by the DeSoto 276.1 Firedome Hemi, and actually came somewhat very close to production. It was a close-coupled 4-seater, and the body was sourced by either Ghia or Pininfarina, I forget now.
    #016 is a 1955 Chrysler; I'd guess from the monotone paint it's a Windosr. Can't quite read the script on the side. Maybe a Windsor Deluxe?
    #015 is another Chrysler show car. I think it's a 1955 Chrysler Falcon, another Ghia or Pininfarina body.
    *008: 1956 New Yorker again
    #007 repeat of #019
    #006: The DeSoto adventurer concept again
    #003: '55 Chrysler repeat
    #002: '55 Falcon concept repeat
    #001: '55 Chrysler New Yorker again

At least, I think. Don't hold a gun to my head on any of these...memory ain't quite what it used to be. :blush:
    Older computer and "eyes", I thought the ones I identified as Imperials had those target sight tail lights. But looking at them again, I think the picture is just that small hump in the fender encasing the 55 tail lights. Thanks for looking into them for her! I like Mopars, but you "know" them!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I'm looking at them on an older computer myself, an old Mac that a friend gave me when he got a new one. At a quick glance, that '55 does look like an Imperial, I think because there's something in the background that lines up with the car and gives the illusion that there's a gunsight taiillight, or something in that spot.

And, the '55 does still have that "twin nostril" motif, although it's more complex on the Windsor and New Yorker. The Imperial and C300 had a split grille with large openings that went all the way down to the bumper, whereas the Windsor and New Yorker had smaller "nostrils", and a lower sub-grille the was full-width, and housed the turn signals/parking lights.
    edited December 2012
    I'll grab the early 50s Rambler wagon making the right turn.
    (Burlington, Vt.?)
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I saw one of these running around near me here in Hershey. I thought the back end was going to fall off then I got to see the front. And no cheating by looking at the html link of the picture either.

Odie
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    edited December 2012
    There are no cars on Church Street anymore!
    You might have to wait for the picture to come around again.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Aston Marin Lagonda Shooting Brake? I never heard they make one, is it custom?
    edited December 2012
    I think the Desoto Adventurer 1 was done by Ghia

A 1956 Chrysler Concept, the "Norseman", went down with the Andrea Doria and still sits on the bottom of the sea

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    You didn't just see one of those, you might have seen the only one. That's quite a sighting. I've never seen a Lagonda that wasn't parked (probably not running).
    Wasn't that Lagonda the model with the "electronic dashboard from Hell"?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Yep, extremely bleeding edge technology for ~1976, not something you really want to buy when it wears a "Made in England" label. Later models gained more conventional instruments, but I have to imagine were full of glitches too.

Cool looking car though.
    edited December 2012
    I'll grab the early 50s Rambler wagon making the right turn.

I think that is a late 1950s or early 60s Rambler American like this 1960 model (it looks too small to be an early 50s model)>

Yes that is Church Street in downtown Burlington VT, now closed to auto traffic.

G'day

Sometimes there are jokes that just won't make it out of Australia. Unfortunately, when confronted with a William Towns design, I keep recalling one describing a supremely ugly individual, basically suggesting that even in moonlight, it would not look pretty.

The already ugly William Towns Lagonda was bastardised by a Swiss firm to create a Shooting Brake (or Break). If it was not ugly enough already, this really topped it off.

Fortunately a styling dead end.

Cheers

Graham
    G'day

I cannot recall the rather pretty 1960 Rambler American, although later Ramblers were assembled in Port Melbourne (same factory as Toyota) and sold moderately well in Australia. Models included the mid to late 60's American, the Matador and Javelin.

Checking out our local on-line car sales site, I see five Ramblers listed including this very low mileage 1967 American

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/rambler-american-440-1967-12556533?ba- se=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=1246+1252+1247+1282+4294963437+1216&num=15&- silo=Stock&sort=default

Cheers

Graham

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Lincoln Mark LT.

yet again, the answer to a question no one asked.

what did they sell, about 25?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    That LT is like a Subaru Baja for the 1%.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That's the Lincoln Blackwood - not the MK LT.

IIRC, the bed was lined in wood and carpet with metal accents. It was pretty but you'd never put a bag on concrete back there.
    Lincoln Blackwood is correct (2001-2). The Mk LT was sold in the US from 2005-8 and is still sold in Mexico.

The Ramblers had this nifty gearshift on the column, where you had to pull the gearshift towards you to engage the starter...I loved that.

RE: Lagonda---yep, the "wedge" design craze of the late 70s and 80s went downhill fast, and now along with fins and bustlebacks, is assigned to the glory days of automotive history.
    "and now along with fins and bustlebacks, is assigned to the glory gory days of automotive history. "

There, I fixed it.
    I have been accused of harshness, so I was trying to be a Sensitive New Age Guy for a change...obviously I didn't fool anyone. :P