Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry to interrupt for a moment, but when you have a chance, please stop by our new "Forums Future" discussion and tell us what you like, and do not like, about our current forums, and how we might improve them when we implement new software! Your Hosts Steve and Claires, and Mr. S, thank you, and please continue.

FORUMS FUTURE DISCUSSION
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Looks like something from Holden's division, so I'm guessing it might be rebadged as a Buick or Chevy of some sorts. Impala SS wagon?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited February 2013
    There are a number of impediments to collecting in the 1/18 Scale but it seems to be very popular. The choices and quality of replicas available have improved tremendously since the days when Bburago and Polistoy were the dominant makers.

I've got a sizeable collection of a couple of dozen sports, racing and classic cars in 1/18 scale and yes my wife does complain about me turning the house into a small scale parking garage.

My latest acquisition is this dandy 1948 Land Rover S1>

This miniature represents a very early LR and has some features that are odd even by Land Rover Standards including three abreast seating in the front.
    You can read more about it here.

Let's hear from any 1/18 scale fans.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I have quite a few, but am seriously short of places to put them. Not really any "high end" ones (more like cars I liked for $10 at B.J.s).

maybe when I finally move I will have my own space where I can put in the right size shelving.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I love the looks of that. Hard to sense size in a picture like this, but I imagine it is bigger than I care for. But very sharp looking, and I love the color.

I would have happily lived with something like this over the RDX we bought, but the wife would have none of getting another station wagon after her minivan years!

oh, no clue what it is.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    That is one sharp-looking scale model. I remember these vehicles from old episodes of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, especially the ones that had the spare tire on the vehicle's hood.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Around here, this is called a Holden Commodore Sportswagon. A rather pretty model, a little smaller than conventional wagons. If you get it, have a test drive as they are well made and very pleasant to drive. The current models have all the electronic goodies that one can want. May be the last rear drive Commodore.

Cheers

Graham
    edited February 2013
    Yup, it's one of yours Graham, a Holden Commodore HF wagon, the wagon version of the same sedan that will be sold here as the Chevrolet SS.

It's very sad to read that the RWD Commodore may be discontinued, where will we get our muscle cars from? :confuse:

There's a slim chance we may get a Chevy SS wagon, probably less than slim if they decide to can the rear-drive Commodores. :cry:

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was going to guess Holden Hahayoucantgetit Awesomeness GT.
  • magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,147
    edited February 2013
    I've seen that actual Land Rover - it's the first pre-production model hence the central seating - I think only a few of those were made. Land Rover preserve it and it turns up at car shows etc.
    If you've seen the actual LR maybe you can tell me how anyone is supposed to sit in that middle seat astride that very wide transmission case with the gearshift lever poking out of it. :sick:

Also I can't figure out where the lever is for the transfer case, is it one of those pull knobs in the dash or the small lever next to the right seat which looks like the hand brake? :confuse:

If you've seen the actual car perhaps you could tell me how anyone could possibly sit in the center seat behind the wide transmission hump with a gearshift sticking right out of it? :sick:

Also I can't figure out what they used to engage the transfer case, was it the small lever next to the right (driver's) seat which looks like a hand brake or one of the pull out knobs in the center dash. :sick:

in the middle, early 60s beetle in front of a Benz Ponton.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    in the middle, early 60s beetle in front of a Benz Ponton.

For some reason, the car behind the Beetle doesn't look like a Benz to me. My first impression was a Peugeot 403. In front of the Beetle it looks like a later Hillman Minx and the blue wagon across the street looks like a Vauxhall Victor or similar. However, keep in mind that I have lived in the US of A my entire life and my knowledge of cars from elsewhere is limited.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Yeah, the car near the Beetle is a 403. In front of the Beetle looks like a Ford Anglia 100E.

I will pick off a few - looks like a Riley parked near red umbrellas near the beach, a light colored Citroen DS near the middle, Near the woman at bottom right, a couple of Opel Rekords.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    new Mercedes Benz escalade pickup?

lol, I think that name is trademarked by Cadillac.

Got the brand right. :)
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    Near the woman at bottom right, a couple of Opel Rekords.

I think you're right. They are Opels as opposed to Vauxhalls (my original guess).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

G class EXT LOL.

6x6.
    Hopefully only for The Arabian Peninsula and Russia - I don't want the local overmonied crowd traipsing around in something that big.
    I'm sure it would be featured in rap videos, too.
    Yep, notice how I cleverly picked the one photo that hid the rear wheels. :-)

Supposedly out in October and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :shades:

Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6 Six-Wheel Debuts
    G'day

The six wheel chassis arose from an Australian Army contract which is now slowly being delivered. Glad to see it is being used more widely. I love the driving lights above the cab. The G Wagon is remarkably long lived; first one that I saw had been captured by British forces from the Argentinians during the Falklands War and was repatriated to a British Military Museum. By the time I was in Britain in the 1990s they were faintly popular although always expensive.

Originally they were powered by lowish powered diesel and petrol engines and only seem to have scored the full AMG and G55 work over in recent times.

When MB Australia scored the contract with the Australian Army, they decided to try selling in Australia again. A product experience trip with journalists along the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia went horribly wrong. The shock absorbers on seven of eight G Wagons failed, the only intact one being the military specification Professional. Not a great launch experience! I suspect that MB slipped off to reconsider as I cannot recall seeing a civilian G Wagon around.

The military spec G Wag on is a different story. The base 4wd and 6wd chassis is built by Magna Steyr in Graz, then shipped to MB Australia, a couple of kilometres from me. They are then adapted to Australian army needs. The military spec vehicles are rugged and the contract has been expanded. They are a dramatic improvement on ancient LandRovers.

Cheers

Graham
    At least I know what the Taliban will be driving when they make a little money and run out of clapped-out Toyota PUs.

The Taliban should really lease.

Mercury Milan.

If the Fusion is a little too exciting for ya.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    No money down and get the GAP insurance?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Those are three Ferraris from left to right:

Ferrari 400i, a 2+2 from the late 70-s IIRC, Enzo himself drove one.

Current model Ferrari California, a Folding hardtop design with none of the good looks and charisma of 250GT Spider California it was named after.

1960s Ferrari 330GTE/2+2, an underappreciated four passenger design from the golden era.

The 330 GT 2+2 is now dirt cheap at only $85-$125K
    Exactly! The 330 GT is a 4 headlight model. It was a semi permanent fixture there getting an ongoing mechanical restoration of sorts.

I am probably alone in actually liking the 400 series, I think they look nice.

When I was in Cologne in November, there was one parked on the street all the time, rain or shine. Seemed risky, I bet they decompose fast.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    At least I know what the Taliban will be driving when they make a little money and run out of clapped-out Toyota PUs.

Evidently you've never seen Top Gear trying to kill a Hi-Lux:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/killing-a-toyota
    "I am probably alone in actually liking the 400 series"

I've checked, and yes, you are. :P The latest Sports Car Market Price Guide gives it a "D" rating on "investment", the lowest rating there is;

HOWEVER (here comes the bright spot)--the fact that they are the cheapest Ferrari you can buy on the face of the earth ($19,000 can get you a clean driver) means that someone is bound to notice soon and they see the prospect of a 15% gain in value this coming year.
    I like that angular 2+2 style, very chic for the period. I imagine one cruising around the French Riviera ca. 1983 with Duran Duran on the radio :shades:

I'd never buy one though, maintenance scares me.
    edited March 2013
    Figure $2 a mile in maintenance to keep an older Ferrari in use as a reliable driver.

G'day

From the prancing horse on the nose and little emblem on the flank, it is a Ferrari but not one that I know. The coachbuilt body might be by Vignale, from the lines and I guess from about 1950-55. I assume that it is British delivery from the Right Hand Drive, but plates are wrong for any RHD country that I can think of.

Cheers

Graham
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I've paid almost half that to keep an E-30 running for the last 18 months.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'll take a shot at it - a 1951 Ferrari 212 Export Vignale.

I know because the owner of the dealership I worked at had a coupe version and it won a ton of awards.

I imagine this drop top is even rarer, one of one?

edited March 2013
    You're very observant Graham, considering how small that Ferrari emblem is.

Yes, it is a Vignale-bodied 1952 Ferrari 212 Europa cabriolet.
    It wasn't until the mid-late 50s that Pininfarina became the coachbuilder of choice for Ferrari. There are many early Ferraris by Vignale and Touring.

The pictured car s/n 0255EU is available for only for only $1,650,000 :sick:

In front of the two Opels in the foreground is a Renault Dauphine.
    There are a number of Simca Arondes The earliest one is passing the Riley whilst next to it the lemon / blue one is a later version with the second grille. and the grey car which is about to pass by is the third type. That car is being overtaken by what I think is a Simca Ariane or Vedette.
    The car beyond the passing grey Aronde looks like another Opel Rekord.
    Also there is a Citroen 2CV parked behind the cream coloured Renault 4CV /750.
    On our side of the central reservation there is another Simca Aronde in front of the Ford 100E, a Studebaker Hawk (57?) and ahead of that a Jaguar (later retrospectively known as a MkI).

I'll take the hard part, and leave the easy stuff to someone else.

It is a MB from the 1970s.

edited March 2013

Sorry it is so small
    It is a MB from the 1970s.

Wow, brilliant. I've seen lots of 1970s Mercedes but never that one.
    Anyone else?