Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well sure there must be some lines or trim pieces on the car that evoke more successful styles, but overall the car is shockingly unattractive...the design is incoherent and clumsy IMO.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    The Marlin was a really odd combination of a sedan with a fastback. I remember my dad's Automobile Quarterly article, "Marlin - a Fish Out of Water" (or something like that).

Here's a good article on the Marlin
  • magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154
    We're not getting far with this so a clue - it's French.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    something went horribly wrong

Actually, I believe this was a management screw up, sort of an inversion from the 62 Mopar downsizing fiasco. The Marlin was originally designed for the smaller American chassis, but management decided it needed to take on the successful Big 3 mid sized coupe market, so it was hastily stretched out onto the bigger Rambler chassis. Personally, I think it would have looked better as a smaller coupe, but I guess AMC had it's Javelin pony car and decided it needed to focus larger. Automotive design history is always very interesting!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    1948 Peugot 202 Berline?
    that makes sense, although I'm not sure what they could have done with such an awkward design, even if it were downsized. The first Barracuda was no winner either.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Actually, the American-based car (called the Tarpon) was fairly good looking (IMHO of course). Apparently Roy Abernathy decreed that it be transferred to the mid-sized Classic chassis because he wanted to offer a V-8 and AMC didn't have one that fit the American. The irony, of course, is that AMC introduced new V-8s late in the next model year that did fit. Anyway, in addition to the fact that all of the styling had to be redimensioned to fit on the larger chassis, it had to be done on an expedited basis. The result was, well, a disaster. But from what I have heard, so was Roy Abernathy.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Not a Peugeot, although I can see why the radiator grille looks a bit like that..
    I dunno...aside from a few sculpture lines I don't see the Tarpon as much better. The whole thing is ...well....ungainly.....it looks like Karl Rove in a speedo eating pizza. :P
    edited March 2013
    I dunno...aside from a few sculpture lines I don't see the Tarpon as much better.

Well like I said, IMHO. I never saw the prototype in person (as it were) but from photos it looked better proportioned than the Marlin and attractive enough to sell in reasonable numbers. Given the way the Marlin sold it could scarcely have done worse.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

here's the original:

and the actual car:

Well, my other guess was going to be Jaguar, again based on the grill, but you said it was French. Rather looks like a taxi.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Okay, it isn't a Renault, definitely not a Citroe and its not a Peugeot 202 (lights are on fenders) so we are getting around to smaller manufacturers.

There is strong similarity to the pre war Fiat 1100 which was made by other manufacturers. I think there was a Simca connection.

Am I getting closer

Cheers

Graham
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

G'day

I do know that we are supposed to be seeing it here in Australia, but not sure if it will be as a Holden or as original Opel Cascada, as sold in Europe. Opel have just opened a distribution arm here after many years of Holden selling rebadged Opels.

I had hired a previous generation Astra Convertible sometimes, when in Sydney. Sexier to look at than drive. MInd you, Sydney is a city just calling for a soft-top (albeit with a roof which closes quickly, given the city's tendency to rapidly appearing showers). One of the great drives of the world is over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in a soft-top.

Cheers

Graham
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    Opel Cascada. I wonder if they would really bring that here.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    I think the proportions are better on the Tarpon, but I wasn't a fan of the styling of '64-69 Americans...and this from a guy who loves '64 Studebakers! LOL
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Yup, Cascada is Spanish for waterfall. Rumor has it Buick is considering bringing it in. They are trying (w some success IMO) to make their line up sportier.

Yes, I kind of think of the Tarpon and the Marlin as being the young Elvis and the old Elvis respectively. There are other analogies, but they would be likely to get me into trouble. Anyway, you get the picture. I just think the translation to the larger platform looked like a bloated caricature of the original.

G'day

Isn't that pretty? Maserati from late 50s or early 60s but I am not great on which model.

The body looks like a Touring design, although possibly Pininfarina (harder to tell from this angle).

Cheers

Graham
    I thought the Mopars did a pretty good job in the mid to late 60s, but GM and Ford really lost it on their full-size cars IMO.
    Yes - its a Simca Eight 1200 which was made from 1948-51. It ws the last of the models based on the prewar Fiats, and was replaced by the Aronde.

I like the way you refer to Simca as a small manufacturer - because they only made a limited range of models, most ofwhich weren't exactly iconic I tend to think of them in that way too - but the Aronde was regularly the best selling car in France and Simcas overall outsold Renault etc frequently.
    G'day

My recollection of Simcas was of strange French cars. For some reason to do with alterations in tariffs in about 1949, there was a sudden rush of French cards to Australia. The rugged cobbled Frensch roads were close to Australian bush tracks so they were well regarded, especially after Peaugeots did especially well on several horror "Round Australia Reliability Trials" (essentially vehicle torture tests).

Simcas enjoyed some small popularity but were sold as appealing to women, excluding the vast majority of the 1950's Australian car buying public. Looking at the advertising now is cringe-making.

One bizarre highlight was the petrol cap, concealed behind the tail light cluster and leading to recurring stories of new drivers being unable to fill them with petrol.

Cheers

Graham
    You've got the right ideas Graham, it's a ca. 1962 Maserati 3500GT with a Touring Superleggera body. The 3500GT was one of Maserati's most popular models of the era and its 3.5 Liter DOHC six was used in the Vignale Spider the Frua Mistral, Mexico and Sebring as well.

I cut a Simca in half in high school, around 1969, with my new sabre saw. Guy was going to shorten it but I bet it wound up in the dumpster.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited March 2013
    Is this the La Ferrari? I read an article somewhere that states Ferrari ran out of names to call their cars, so they simply named this one the La Ferrari.
    We had a Simca dealers near where I grew up in Wales and they were quite popular in the late 60's and early 70's. They eventually disappeared into Chrysler / Talbot and that went into Peugeot...
    They sold them with us as a sort of competitor for Fiat etc ie fairly nippy little cars but not durable in the long term. Quite rare now as they rusted like contemporary Fiats too.
    No doubt appearing double parked, and with Gulf State numberplates anywhere near Harrods soon.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    I've also seen the name F70 tossed around. Not sure why it has 2 names or what. Thought it was 2 different cars, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited March 2013
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Handsome car, but would it be worth the trouble of federalizing it for the inevitably tiny sales numbers?

And this is coming from a two-time convertible owner.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    Pair of 51 Fords towards the right.
    Is that a Frazer in the middle of the pack?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think I see a 58 or so DeSoto and 59 Chevy toward the left center and a pair of either 55 or 56 Plymouth's on either side of the 51 Fords.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    edited March 2013
    Looks like it.
    edited March 2013
    There is a 59 Chevrolet third car beyond the Frazer EDIT - I've just zoomed i and I'm not so sure now.
    Is this the La Ferrari? I read an article somewhere that states Ferrari ran out of names to call their cars, so they simply named this one the La Ferrari.

Ferrari most certainly hasn't run out of names but like everyone else they seem to have thrown out their previous nomenclature in a vain attempt to convince their customer base that their newest is unique and a complete break with the past (as if a complete break with such a great tradition was desireable).

They could have called it the F70 or perhaps the Imola or Monza but they're going with Ferrari LaFerrari which I'm not sure is even correct Italian.

Hyper exotics like this, the Veyron and the Pagani Huayara increasingly leave me cold because they make no sense. Why spend a million bucks on something that can go 200mph on the ground when you can go twice as fast for the money in a plane and never have to worry about a speeding ticket?

That said, based on the photos, La Ferrari may be a return to Ferraris that are truly beautiful in a way the the garish Paganis and Veyrons can't match and hooray for that.

I dunno but since it's based on the Insignia/Regal a lot of the Federalizing has already been done and if you think of it as a replacement for the Saab convertible which sold pretty well it might do some decent numbers and it would help the image of Buick just to have it in the showroom.

Back in the day folks would be attracted by the red convertible in the front and walk out with the four-door they really needed.

Myself, I'm only interested in ragtops with driven wheels in the back (I'm on my 5th).

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Both of mine have been RWD too. :shades:
    edited March 2013

This one isn't anywhere in Holland, judging by the volcano in the background.
    Ok, I've looked at it carefully and concluded that a '58 Rambler and a '58 Packard had an affair and this was the result. I wonder what it looked like when it grew up.

edited March 2013
    Did you right-click to get the photo URL? The pic isn't showing up for me at the moment.

And is that view in Italy? (it's lush enough to be Mexico). Or is it a forest fire somewhere in West Virginia?
    To me its a marriage of Hillman Minx and Vauxhall, but its not from USA or UK - anyway, we don't do volcanoes...
    Sorry - its showing on my machine - using AppleMac Safari - I don't know how to get it to show on anything else?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited March 2013
    I'll try it. It didn't show up for me in IE8, so I right-clicked for the URL and opened in a new window. Then I pasted it into this post. Does it work for other readers?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Ah, well, it's showing up fine in Chrome, just not in my IE. For a minute there I thought your streak of successfully posting photos had broken; must be on my end. :D
    I can see it fine via Mozilla, looks like a Vauxhall/Opel (aka little Chevy) perhaps a late 50s Cresta.