Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• On the GTO, IBM with the blue interior is very nice. I seriously considered the Windveil Blue Stang, but the only interior I thought looked good was the Light Graphite. And I didn't like that interior with the IUP Package (BIG improvement over the stock interior).

I've always liked silver and its amazingly ability to always look clean, so I ended up going with Satin Silver on the exterior and Dark Charcoal on the interior. I've added a bunch of MGW interior chrome accessories and it's really heightened the look and contrast. Now, I need to throw on the Stang's Eibach Pro-System Plus Kit. I'm assuming the GTO has a similar total kit. I know it makes a huge difference in the Stang's handling while maintaining decent ride quality.
  • Yes the GTO has a Eibach system kit also to improve handling, not sure on the price though. Satin Silver is nice.
  • Anybody else watch the Speed Channel Test? No surprise the GTO did best the Mustang, but what really astonished me was how low both of their numbers were. 6 second 0-60 times for both? 14 sec 1/4 mile times for both? Something doesn't seem right here or is it just me? :confuse: Here is a summary:

1/4 Mile
    GTO 13.92
    Mustang 14.31

0-60
    GTO 6.00
    Mustang 6.18

Road Course
    GTO 42.93
    Mustang 43.02

Slalom Course
    GTO 60.83
    Mustang 60.66
  • Yeah there numbers were a bit slower then the auto mags. Car and Driver got 4.8 for GTO and 5.1 for Mustang. Could have been the weather, altitude, or cars/mileage.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,142
    vp....I also like that silver with the charcoal interior with IUP...very sharp indeed.

Those are terrible numbers from Speed Channel....with either car.

I've seen amatuers at the track run better numbers around here.
  • I know this if off topic, New Society of Automotive Engineers standards designed to eliminate subjective interpretation in establishing horsepowe claims. Turns out under these new tests Toyota & Honda are now LOWERING their Horsepower claims. V6 Camry goes from 210 to 190 !! RL goes from 300hp to 290hp. http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

However, as for as I know the american cars all stayed the SAME or increased. The article doesn't show any decreasing. Caddy XLR increased 29hp! Some pontiacs gained 1hp. Z06 vette gained 5hp, but I think it was already rated at 505hp anyway.

Wondering if the GTO is now 405hp? Time will tell. Also wondering what the Mustang is, probably higher then 300. It was rumored it was closer to 320 mark anyway.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I also read that many of the domestic manufacturer's weren't going to go through the process of re-rating their engines unless they were new for the '06 model year. Whereas Honda/Toyota took it upon themselves to re-rate their engines.

IOWs - I don't know that it is 'mandatory' for manufacturer's to re-rate ALL of their lineups; only those new for '06 and beyond.
  • The Domestics followed all the mandates and rules of re-rating what they had to and etc for this new SAE test procedure.

Honda/Toyota kind of had to take it upon themselves to Re-rate their engines being as though quite a few are producing 5 to 20 less hp then they claimed !! Not exactly too good. That would be like finding out my GTO was only really making 380hp.
    "That would be like finding out my GTO was only really making 380hp."

What difference would it make?

I mean if you were happy with the performance when it was rated at 400 hp (I assume you ARE happy with the performance), what possible difference would it make if the 'actual' number was 380hp? Or 450hp? Or 1000hp? Are you driving a NUMBER? Did you buy it because the 1st significant digit was a "4" instead of a "3"?

Who knows; maybe you did.
  • I agree with gxpgtodanman. At least for me, It isn't an issue of caring about my car's exact horsepower. I do think manufacturers should honestly and accurately represent their products. If they are using standards or a system which overestimates their products performance, than they should be made to correct it or be held liable. This premise has been proven legally throughout the past over many products....Palms, computer monitors, and music come immediately to mind as examples.

graphicguy,
    thanks for the kind words. I'm going with the Retro-Industrial look for my Mustang...

Interior = Lots of aluminum, black leather/plastic/vinyl, and a dash of sweet, sweet chrome from MGW.
    Performance = LOTS of mods
    Exterior = Eibach Pro-Kit Plus, 18" Konig Beyonds with tires to be decided, Charcoal Grey Shelby stripes

Put all those together and you have my Uber-Stang (Along with a lot of credit card debt, good-natured harassment from my marital unit, and a permanent grin on my face.) :shades:
    I guess I didn't make my point clear; s'okay. I'm used to it.

Yes, hp rating are important in that it gives me an idea of what kind of performance to expect and (together with vehicle weight) I can use it to narrow down possible purchase candidates.

But I don't BUY the car based on it's hp rating. What that rating is may get me to test a car, but I buy based on how the car feels when I'm driving it.

And re-rating a car from 400 down to 380 (or up to 450) wouldn't change how the car drove one iota. So, from that standpoint, why should I care? If I was happy with the performance at 400, why should I suddenly feel 'gyped' if the rating was 380? What possible good would it be if it were re-rated at 450hp? The only good I see is for bragging rights, pure and simple.
  • I wouldn't care from a performance standpoint, but I would from a consumer's view. If the vehicle got rated up, I could care less.
    On my beloved RX8, I went through the whole HP "restatement" thing. It was supposed to have 247 HP. Mazda had to do some last minute "retuning" of the ECM since there was some question whether the cat converters would last at the 247 HP level. Mazda actually offered to buy the car back. This was for the first 5K units they shipped over here from Hiroshima.

At first, I was livid and thoroughly planned to sell it back to Mazda. But, as most of you say, it didn't really affect the performance of the car. Plus, it's true, you can't drive a number on paper. I liked it when I test drove it and didn't know it had 9 less HP. So, I kept it. I think only 150 people actually sold their RX8s back to Mazda. The rest of us took Mazda's offer of $500 and free maintenance for the life of the 4 year warranty (which was worth another $500).

I know that Ford went through a similar PR nightmare when the Cobra's HP was overstated a few years back.

Fact is, if you test drove a car and liked it, does it really make any difference if the HP was over/under stated? In my case, no.

vp....it sounds like you're "uber-Mustang" is going to be nice. I used to do some bracket racing in the past. I've never been much into doing purely cosmetic mods, but have seen some beautiful '05 Mustangs that did very nice jobs "customizing" their 'Stangs. On the other hand, I've seen some hideous ones, too. When I was racing, I always prided myself in the fact that the mods I did still allowed me to take the same car off the track and street it (with nothing more than a tire change). The cars usually looked like hell, but were fast as greased lightening.

That was before I had a wife (now ex) and a kid (now grown). I still hang with some of the friends I'd met when racing. I still go to Mid-Ohio every May for those events. Every once in a great while, I want to mechanically "mod" the 'Stang. But, I have a golfing buddy, who's a General Manager at a Pontiac, GMC, Buick dealership once tell me that every mod anyone does to any car always detracts from its value when it's time to sell. So, I just don't do it anymore.
  • Imo, the issue would be that they misrepresented the vehicle - and I personally would have a problem with that.
    It basically amounts to false advertising.
    "It basically amounts to false advertising."

In regards revised hp ratings due to new SAE standards, why?

What if the SAE revised the rules so that all hp ratings were based on hp at the drive wheel (measured from a chassis dyno under strict testing methodology rather than an engine dyno) so that drivetrain losses where accounted for? Some manufacturer's probably have more efficient tranny's and diffs than other so they would see less of a drop in hp as measured at the wheel.

Would this mean the other manufacturer's had 'misrepresented' the engine output?

Has ANYONE (with any reputation) insinuated that manufacturers were NOT following the old regulations and/or falsifying the test results? I haven't read this. What I have read is that there were sections of the old SAE testing methodology which were open to interpretation. Some manufacturers interpreted the method one way, others a different way. In an efford to eliminate the gray areas, the SAE rewrote the testing methodology.

Put it this way: when the SAE went from the old "gross hp" rules in the 60's to the "net hp" rules in the early 70's, do you think the revised hp numbers would have been grounds for 'false advertising'?
    gottab....I think manufacturer's always give themselves an "out" by stating they reserve the right to change specs, options, etc.

To me, I still loved the car I bought (RX8). Did I feel like I was "misled" about the RX8's HP? Yeah, initially! But, the car I bought didn't change, just the ratings. I can see both sides to this. In Mazda's case, I felt they went beyond what I expected in offering to buy the car back for a total refund, or what I chose, $500 and free maintenance.

That said, there's a reason Mazda is the only company with a rotary engine. I think it makes a great racing motor. It's real simple (my rotary had only 9 moving parts). Both GM and Chrysler looked at the rotary decades ago and decided against using it as a production engine. I think GM actually built a prototype car using a rotary.

Ford went through the HP debacle a while back with the Cobra. I do think they offered their owners either an engine rebuild (to hit the advertised HP).

Overall, I do believe different cars with the same engine, will have minute differences in HP just for the mere fact that, although tollerances are much tighter today, there will still be some variances.

When I was test driving both GTOs and Mustangs, my seat of the pants told me that some were "strong" runners, and some felt like they were down on power from what I expected. That tells me there were some variances just from those experiences. They weren't significant differences, but differences, nonetheless.

I bet you could dyno two different GTOs or Mustangs and not be able to hit the same HP figure identically. So, it's probably a moot point.

If the rating rules change, then it's reasonable to expect that the ratings themselves would change.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    Muscle Car Review magazine August 2005 gets 0-60 in 4.8 sec quarter mile at 13.3 106 mph........wow...this cannot be true. Has anybody seen this article ? :surprise:

Shelby cobra? are dealers taking orders? are they out yet? is literature out yet?

are automaticcs available?
    anybody seen this magazine??
  • "What if the SAE revised the rules so that all hp ratings were based on hp at the drive wheel (measured from a chassis dyno under strict testing methodology rather than an engine dyno) so that drivetrain losses where accounted for"

I think they should revise the HP ratings so they are HP at the drive wheels with all installed accesories operating. That is the only TRUE hp rating. Front wheel drive cars will have a slight advantage because they lose less through drivetrain. It also depends on the tranny too etc.
  • "Muscle Car Review magazine August 2005 gets 0-60 in 4.8 sec quarter mile at 13.3 106 mph........wow...this cannot be true. Has anybody seen this article ?"

Haven't seen it yet, but If that is true, those are the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers Car and Driver got on the 2005 GTO in it's February issue. 4.8 and 13.3
  • graphicguy,
    I don't plan to do any serious racing, but I will be periodically "dyno"ing and running the car at a local track. I'm a newb to both of these performance pastimes...all I know is what I've read over the past 6 months, so I'm anxious to try it. Most of my mods this year will be interior stuff (MGW's line is fantastic methinks!) and some bolt ons. Next year will be the painted stripes and S/C...patience is a fiscal virtue. Overall though, my mustang will be a daily driver, so I'm waiting to see what the stock engine can handle.

I agree that mods most likely will reduce the car's value, but I plan on running this car until it gives up the ghost. All of the body kits look horrid to me. How someone could like nonfunctional, taped hood, side, and rear window scoops is beyond me......guess I'm getting old.

For those interested in the 2005, for 10$ I just picked up a hardbound edition of "Mustang 2005: A New Breed Of Pony Car" by Matt Lorenzo. Interesting and surprising read...
    vp....my dealer gave me that book by Lorenzo when I ordered my 'Stang this past winter. Apparently, he bought a whole case of them and gave them out to the folks who ordered from his first allotment of cars.

Neat book. Really in-depth on the engineering and design process with good interviews about both from Tang and Colleti.

Good luck on your mods. The one thing the Mustang lends itself well to is "modding".
    "I think they should revise the HP ratings so they are HP at the drive wheels with all installed accesories operating. That is the only TRUE hp rating."

Amen to that.

It would also be interesting to see the difference between the hp at the wheel for manual tranny equipped cars vs. their automatic counterparts. But I don't expect to see this in my lifetime.

I see such a method as a HUGE headache for the manufacturer's. Consider if the GTO had a driven wheel hp rating of 350hp. Then EVERY (or nearly every) GTO owner would be running down to their local speedshop and paying for a dyno pull to see if they were actually getting the advertised hp.

Can you imagine the fits everyone would be thowing when their muscle car wasn't giving the 'promised' results?

If we were to get some sort of driven wheel hp ratings, I imagine they would be like EPA mileage ratings: "Projected hp is 350. Your hp may vary".
  • Speaking of sales. The 1989 Fox Body Mustang sold nearly 200k cars too. Same as this 2005. However by 1991, Mustang sales DECLINDED to 85k.

Ford almost replaced the Mustang with a new Front Drive Car. A study team, led by Coletti, was formed in 1989 to develop a business plan to see if a new Mustang could be developed in less than four years for $700 million. An all-new car was out of the question, Coletti says.

1974 Mustang sold almost 400k copies !!
    Yep. The original Ford Probe was actually slated to be the new 'Mustang'.

Fortunately, the powers-that-be in Dearborn didn't like the image of their bodies hanging from lampposts (ala a certain Italian dictator ca. 1945) so they canceled the idea of whacking the old rwd Mustang a favor of a 'Mustang Lite'.

1974 Mustang II sold in huge numbers because it was "all new and improved with European style and handling" and offered better gas mileage than the old models.

Dark days indeed for all the domestics.....
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Can you imagine the fits everyone would be thowing when their muscle car wasn't giving the 'promised' results?

No need to imagine. Does everyone remember the '99 Mustang Cobra? It was such a mess that there was only, maybe, two '00 Cobras produced since they had to spend so much time and money making the '99s right. I don't even think those two '00 Cobras made it to the public. If someone does have one, he/she would be stupid not to put it in a giant plastic bag inside an air-conditioned, dehumidified garage for the next 20-30 years!
  • Very interesting and thanks for clarifying - guess I'd mostly have to agree with you.
    As for this:
    'When I was test driving both GTOs and Mustangs, my seat of the pants told me that some were "strong" runners, and some felt like they were down on power from what I expected.'
    I think this is absolutely true and can be seen in some of the recent discussions on the GTO forum.
  • A Chevy dealer by me has a USED 2005 Mustang 5spd manual V8 convertible with only 859 miles for $35,500. Wonder what Chevy the guy traded that in for? Or what he got for the car.
    From the talk on other Mustang boards, more than a few people bought the Mustang and then turned around and sold it for more than they paid to make a quick buck. Even some dealers took their new Mustangs to the big auctions and got more than they paid by selling to other dealers.

With only 859 miles on it, I'd bet that Mustang was an "auction" piece. Or, someone with more dollars than sense, decided what they really wanted wasn't a Mustang but a 'vette.
  • "From the talk on other Mustang boards, more than a few people bought the Mustang and then turned around and sold it for more than they paid to make a quick buck"

I thought of doing that, but didn't feel like taking the chance, oh well. I missed out. The dealers by me only seem to have V6 Mustangs in stock on their lots.
This discussion has been closed.