Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang GT vs C5 Corvette

adg1adg1 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I am considering a Mustang GT Convertible (5sp) vs a pre-owned C5 Corvette. The C5 would probably be a coupe with removable roof. I plan on it being a daily driver.

I live the advantages of the Mustang; new with warranty, back seat (small), price for new...... But it is not a Vette. The C5 would be, say..an 03 with low miles for very similar money.

Anyone have thoughts or experience to share????

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Posted this in another thread about what Edmunds thinks.....about driving the Mustang GT back-to-back with the Corvette......

One test driver/editor said...

"I drove the new 2005 Corvette the same day I drove the Mustang and I like the Mustang much better. The interior is nearly perfect — the adjustable gauge colors are a nice touch."

Edmunds review highlights of the Mustang GT......

"The handling and steering feel are so impressive, in fact, that several road test editors that drove the car back-to-back with the new '05 Corvette felt that while the 'Vette is a bit faster in terms of actual performance numbers, the Mustang is actually more fun to drive.

Settle into the thickly padded and extremely supportive high-back bucket seat, adjust the leather and aluminum steering wheel to the perfect height and survey your surroundings. Two large chrome-plated bezels in the dash place the speedo and tach front and center, right where they need to be. Despite the car's high beltline and sloping rear window, visibility is still excellent, and the broad expanse of aluminum trim makes you feel like the pilot of a full-tilt racer. Twist the key and the V8 snarls to life, and oh, what a sound it is. Ford somehow managed to duplicate the rippling growl of an aftermarket exhaust system without the resonance and annoying staccato those systems are known for.

Once the car is rolling, it's an absolute blast. The steering feel is perfectly balanced and heavy enough to offer excellent feedback and confidence-inspiring control. The suspension felt nimble and tight (my note....there's no mention here of the Mustang's solid rear....just that it's "nimble and tight").

The overall design and build quality of the interior are outstanding.

The clutch pedal is smooth and light without feeling soft or numb. In fact, the clutch is so silky and easy to feel that we didn't mind driving the car in bumper-to-bumper L.A. rush-hour traffic. Now that's a strong statement. The shifter is equally excellent.

If there is such a thing as a fountain of youth, this is it. Any true American iron enthusiast will feel like they're a kid living in the glory days of the late '60s muscle car wars all over again. The best part is, the 2005 Mustang doesn't ask you to sacrifice comfort or reliability in the name of speed and style. You get top-notch handling, a roomy and stylish interior, 300 rip-snorting horsepower and loads of attitude, all for about the same price as a sensible Honda Accord."
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Read other articles and get many other views. But let's go to the basic assumptions first. A GT with modest options will run in the mid $20k's but an '03 Vette will be above $30k if I'm to believe Edmunds. Even the '01 Vette is worth more than the Mustang with the value declining about $2.5k per year. So, '03 for $30k + the '02 for $27.5 and the '01 for right around $25k. Can you get a deal, sure but I'm guessing you can get deals on the Mustang as well if you look on the internet rather than most local markets.
    What do you get? I'd really wonder about any reviewer that ignores the solid axle rear end and goes on to say how nimble the car is. The Vette at almost 250# lighter is no picture of grace at the track when you start to push and the only Stang's I see have Saleen or Roush modified suspensions and they still don't do much without blowers against a stock Vette. The stock Vette is a great daily driver even with the 6sp and I'm putting on many more miles than I had hoped just because I won't bother with taking something else out of the garage. FWIW
    Randy
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    As Starrow points out, one will have to settle for a used Corvette, maybe a 2002 or 2003, to match the price of a new GT. A new car vs a 2 - 3 year old car could make quite a difference.

I'm still amazed that Ford didn't put a 6 speed in the new GT. That would mean a lot to me.

I've driven 4 F-bodies and believe me, I know where a live axle's limitations can be found.

Even a 3 year old Corvette will out perform a new GT, from acceleration to braking.

The GT does have a back seat.

Appearance inside and out is subjective; lately, I've had trouble differentiating the new Mustang from the old ones until I get right up on them. That is a very good thing for one who liked the old Mustang's styling.

Hey, I bought a 2003 Z06 in August of 2003 and it's a wonderful car, what can I say. I'll bet a used one could be found for $30K - $38K. In this comparison, you get more when you pay more. Good luck
  • houstonsmaughoustonsmaug Member Posts: 6
    This is an easy one for me. I live in Houston, TX. Here the roads are somewhat less than perfect. I owned a '99 Vette for a couple of years. During that time, I had it in the shop about 4 times to get the suspension fixed. Whenever my wife and I wanted to go out with the sister-in-law we would have to pile into the SUV. I routinely scraped the front of the car when I went to the grocery store (and many other places besides, including my own driveway). Other than that, the car was great. I didn't particularly like the 6-speed though: It suffers greatly in comparison with a Porsche, or a late-model Camaro SS.

Now, I have an 05 Mustang. For my daily driving and getting rowdy on the streets (not racing), the Stang is 90-95% of the Vette. I don't have to worry about breaking it. It will be much cheaper to fix. Frankly, the solid rear axle is a blast, again I don't have to worry about breaking it. Note that most of my concern is with the amount of damage that the roads around here do to the car. This is why I drove an SUV exclusively for two years after getting rid of the Vette. I just couldn't stand not standing on it for so long. Had to have something fast.

I'd say that your main concerns are:
    1. Do the roads where you live tend to destroy the car?
    2. Do you routinely have to enter a driveway that is steep?
    3. Do you want to take more than one passenger with you?
    4. Is your reason to get this car, NOT to go racing at the racetrack?

If the answer to any ONE of these questions yes, then get the Mustang. If you
    can honestly say no to all of these questions, then get the Vette.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Ummmm, okay.

I think the previous post pointed out that if you intend to track your car, a used C5 made more sense than a new Mustang. That isn't the issue. And he also used to have a C5 and pointed out that for day to day use, the Mustang made more sense for him.

BTW - my cousin vintage races a '66 Shelby GT350 (you know, tinny little 289, solid rear axle, drum rear brakes, squirrelly little 60-series tires on 15" rims) and regularly beats Z06's on open track days at Texas World Speedway. They don't like it. And he's also beaten numerous vintage 'vettes (including one running a dry-sump 454).
    If ADG1 is trying to decide between a used C5 and a New Mustang, I have to assume that he has already answered the 2-seater thing, else the two seater Corvette wouldn't be in the running at all. My Corvette is not my only car, so it becomes an organizing task, deciding which car to use on a given day, based on what has to be done.

Hey Houstonsmaug, I hear you about bad roads. I have to travel on about .5 miles of dirt road going to my house. There are a lot of rocks on this road too. The Corvette is very low to the ground and one day I took my eyes off the road, hit a big rock, and put a hole in the Corvette's oil pan. $1500 later all was well. That was 2 years ago. I'm just very careful now. The Mustang wouldn't be as susceptible to this kind of thing. However, on paved roads, I don't see the Corvette as being any more susceptible to road damage than the Mustang if one can deal with the "low to ground" factor.

Entering my garage is also an issue as there are steel hooks on the bottom of the frame that hit the concrete. The sound is awful, but the only damage being done is to the concrete, which has scratches where the hooks scrape. I have decided that for me, the performance I get from the Z06 far, far outweighs those issues I just described. I know ADG1 is not necessarily looking for a Z06, but my experience can certainly be a data point.

Also, rorr, I have to assume that the GT500 that is beating up on the Z06s in Texas is not stock, right? I'm just wondering what the performance of a non stock GT500 from the 1960s has to do with this car choice.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    GT350, not GT500. The GT500's are pigs on a road course.

Stock? Well, it's not a stock '66 Mustang. It's not even a stock '66 Shelby GT350H. It is equipped to compete in Vintage events and so it is limited to whatever was 'legal' for SCCA B Production in 1966. The guy who runs the restoration shop where the car was built has nearly 40-years worth of racing experience with Shelbys (Walt Hane; he drove FOR Shelby in the '67 Trans-Am season).

What does this have to do with this discussion? Not a thing. Just trying to point out that a properly set up a 'tinny' Ford small-block, solid rear end, and 40-year old technology can beat some of the best current street cars, including a Z06.

Does this mean that a new '05 Mustang will keep up with a Z06 (or even a base C5) on the track? Uh, no. No way. But, UNLESS YOU INTEND TO RACE, the Mustang has more than enough performance for public streets. Is the Corvette quicker in a straight line? Sure. Is it faster on a road course? You betcha. Does that mean it is more entertaining on the street? I can't answer that; I've never driven a C5.

But I CAN tell you this: my cousin who vintage races his '66 GT350 also has a C5 M6 (actually - it's his wife's car; he usually drives a full size F350 pickup). He recently bought a Mini Cooper S for his daily driver and has told me, numerous times, that the Cooper is MORE FUN to drive on the street than his wifes C5.

Haven't you heard the expression that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow? The Mustang is by no means 'slow' but just because the C5 may be 'faster' doesn't automatically make it more fun.
  • houstonsmaughoustonsmaug Member Posts: 6
    One thing I was trying to point out is that the FUN factor is seriously affected by the worry about damage to the car. As to the potential for damage on ordinary paved roads, I offer two anecdotes.
    1. Shortly after buying the Vette, I was driving in the right lane of Kirby, a well-used paved road. I found a car-swallowing pothole. It bent the right rear rim and broke the speed sensor for that wheel. The Vette immediately went into "SAFE" mode. In this mode, the car wouldn't go over 30 MPH and couldn't even get out of its own way at a stop light. Fortunately, this was at 2am and I only had to endure about ten different drivers honking at me as I limped home. Disconnecting the computer for a few minutes reset it to drive. I had the sensor replaced a few months later.

2. A week before I got rid of the Vette, I was driving east on I-20 at Monroe LA, For some reason, all the other cars were getting into the right lane, I didn't know why until I got airborne. Needless to say, as soon as I got home, I went straight to the dealer and got them started on fixing it. I don't know what it turned out to be, because that was when my wife said I could get rid of the car.

As to the relative possibilty of damage to the Mustang. The only thing I can offer is that the tires are taller and offer a greater distance between rim and ground.

For me, the freedom of worry significantly enhances the fun-to-drive factor.

Another factor that has brought a smile to my face in the last few weeks is that the traction control on the Mustang allows you to get silly without stamping out all the fun. Since I rarely *plan* to get silly (I kinda figure that's the same as saying "Hey Yall, Watch This", the famous last words of a Redneck), I usually forget to turn off the traction control. On the Vette, the fun would be shut down at the first sign of slippage. I once did a full-tilt burnout without turning off the TCS in the Mustang. All was fine.

I also figure that clutches for the Mustang are cheaper too.
  • adg1adg1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the comments and insight!

Here are my current thoughts.......

I really didn't think about the road condition thing, but I live in the suburbs of Chicago and the winter is hell on the roads. Lot's of surface damage to the pavement that takes all summer (and then some) to fix. I suspect the Vette would have similar problems as Houstonsmaug's from time to to me.

I also am concerned about the "sophisticated" computer system of the Vette. Two cars that I test drove at dealerships had warning readings of one type or another and I experienced the limit of the speed of the car. I could not get it over 20! Cars behind me, beside me, going through intersections....thought I was going to get hit!

I realize that the dealers would fix them, but I do worry that they are a bit sensitive to small problems.

I also would like to own a convertible. I have never had one and have always wanted to. If I buy a Vette, I will need to get a coupe with removable roof. A vert would be out of budget or too old for my taste. This will be a daily driver in the Chicago area and I don't want to purchase a 5 year old car as my "new" car. The coupe with the roof off is nice, but no convertible. Also, removing it and stowing it is not that easy, and I don't think I would do it all the time for short rides.

The Mustang vert operates with two latches and the press of a button. Nice. Add to that the fact that it would be brand new, warranty and all.

Also, the back seat is a very nice to have item. I will have three cars, will shortly have a teenage driver, so it is not absolutely necessary. However, it would be nice to take the family on drives in the vert.

No plans for the track, just daily driving and cruising for fun.

Do I sound like I have made my decision??

One thing though.....the Mustang is no Corvette. But....it might be just as much fun and have some practical considerations that make it the winner.
    Being a fan of the Corvette and the Mustang, that would be a tough choice.

I think as a daily driver, the Mustang would win out.

I came mighty close to buying a 'vette a few months ago, though. It was always a car I had wanted since my teen years. As I'm 40ish, the luster of the 'vette faded, though.

No regrets at all with the Mustang as it's just plain fun. It's about 95% of 'vette performance yet much more liveable on a daily basis.
  • lee21lee21 Member Posts: 2
    I use my C5 everyday. In 8 months 32,000 miles to be exact. I love it, the feel and driving a track is much different than in traffic. I know a guy who souped up a road ready TOYOTA that could outrun a vette, mustang and alot more on a tract. That is not the issue. Any car can be souped up.
    The vette is not a family car and neither is a mustang. But, do you ride a HONDA or do you ride a HARLEY. They both feel good, but what kind of MAN wants to be seen on a HONDA.

By the way, traffic driving is having a QUICK car (0 to 60 in 4 sec or less) not one that tops out at 200 mph... who cares on the street, you hardley ever go that fast anyway.

Have fun and B safe....
  • gs22gs22 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 04 c5. i believe you can purchase a used c5 a little cheaper than you think
    my car new was barely over 40k. i love it. its not my daily car but i drive it quite a bit and the gas milage is great. buy the vette
  • shillshill Member Posts: 15
    Don't all the C5 manuals have that gear-skip "feature" where the car jumps from 1st to 4th to achieve better mileage? While a nice idea to avoid the gas guzzler tax, it seems like it entirely defeats the purpose of shifting your own gears. I haven't driven one, but I get the feeling it would drive me nuts - maybe enough to be a deciding factor. YMMV
    I've responded to this "Skip Shift" question so many times. So many people criticize the "Skip Shift", but they've never driven a car with it. I presently have two cars with "Skip Shift". It is not an issue. If you rev the engine up towards 2500 RPMs, the "Skip Shift" does not happen. I've driven a 1995 Firebird for 10 years, 130000 miles and a 2003 Corvette for 2 years, 20000 miles. The "Skip Shift" is such a non-issue, I haven't even cared about defeating it, which a person can do for $20 to $50.

Didn't Adg1 already decide to buy the Mustang. I'm sure he'll enjoy his new car.
    We have two at home as well and you either shift before 1500 rpm or shift after 2200 rpm, not too hard to figure out, at least IMO. Skip shift is overblown by those who wouldn't be satisfied with anything, ie., a critic. The fact that I get over 25mpg on the road when I'm not worrying about mileage is just a plus, if I want to drive the speed limit it gets closer to 30mpg. My last trip from Reno-Fernley Raceway to the Bay Area I did 240 miles and the trip computer was right on 30.0mgp, admittedly doing lots of down hill, after filling up in Nevada. Of course I had reset it after 3 days on track when it was reading closer to 7mpg. Both driving experiences were fun! I'll let you guess which was more fun.
    Randy
    I was unaware you could defeat the feature for $20 to $50 (shocking, I'm sure). If it isn't even active after 2500, why engineer it - that is right in the beginning-middle of most power-bands it seems (does anyone shift this low?).

I didn't mean to criticize Corvette owners. I was just under the impression that it was always killing your power except under extremely hard (race-like) acceleration. The review I read made it sound like a driver's nightmare. Sorry you've had to respond to the same question so many times - if it is any consolation, you have reignited my interest in the Corvette. Thank you for replying.
  • sensaisensai Member Posts: 129
    Well with the LS2 engine, you have to be really trying in order to get the skip shift to engage. The car has to be at full operating temperature, throttle at under 21%, and RPMs between something like 2200 and 2500. In 5k miles, I have been forced to 4th twice. I have not driven an LS1 that did not have it disabled, but from what I gathered from the owners it was only slightly more intrusive than the current LS2 cars - but hardly the nightmare the mag reviews made it out to be. And as it was pointed out, for 20 bucks it can be permanately disabled.
    But as I say, even in the C5 it is a pretty small deal. The mags seem to love giving the General a hard time over it, but if it saved me the gas guzzler tax and I can also just hesitate and go 1st to 3rd in stead of straight to 4th, with the torque available I've never had an issue. Probably not admitted by many but a lot of times I shift 1st, 3rd, 5th and if I get close to 40mph it goes in 6th. Then again I've been known to get over 20mpg around town with mixed street/freeway usage. The six speed with it's double O/D is really amazing if you use it.
    BTW, top speed is in 5th gear, 6th is so low that that the car won't hold speed against the wind.
    Randy
    Did you consider the mustang when buying your Corvette? It doesn't seem to me that they're for the same buyer, with a 20k difference. Were there other options, or have you just always lusted after one?

Agreed about the magazines and GM. Maybe it's just the price you pay for being #1 - every move is criticized. I can't say that my GM product has been a disappointment. 10 years, 1 battery and 1 exhaust replaced (72,000 miles - lots of city). The car professionals and general consensus make it seem like this is impossible. I should have known better than to take those, clearly exaggerated, opinions seriously.
    I think it's more about two American icons in the automotive world. One being the 'vette, The other being the Mustang. Both are great performance cars.

I love the '05 'vette. That said, I love my '05 Mustang GT as much or more.

If you want a fiberglass coupe, then there is no other choice. It's the 'vette.

If you want a good looking, high performance, well put together muscle car, then the choice is the Mustang. There's nothing in between unless you want to get into the 350Zs, RX8s, Audi TTs, etc.
    The Mustang wasn't in my view at the time, actually as noted elsewhere on Edmunds I was lusting after an XK8 but at 6' 3" I couldn't get in the car and spent 9 months looking for the alternative. The Corvette wasn't even on my radar until one of our Plant Managers' who drives one noted that we made a key component for the Active Handling and I should "buy the product", like if I don't, who will? That got me to test drive one and that was all it took.
    Our daughter, out of college, got her own 2000 Mustang GT, Lazer Red with tan top and interior and I actually loved to drive it. With Flow Masters the common comment to me, was, 'is yours running'? The neighbors didn't think it was an issue so it was always nice when we heard her about a block away. Great sound, I grew up a Ford guy and then went to the dark side. :)
    Also having the one kid out of school and only two of us at home getting a two seater made great good sense. Did I mention it gets good mileage. ;)

Please note, the wife now has her 2004 to go with my 2002 and we love corrupting all the local kids who see mostly MB and BMW around the neighborhood. :D
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    The '05 Stang looks pretty cool, but is perhaps a bit too retro and getting fatter every model up. Unless it is worlds different in handling, I would be more apt to buy a '98 GT(beautiful styling) or maybe one the flat sides '99-04 before getting something which may look more like a replicar. Not that is looks bad. Just my opion that retro styling hints are a good thing, but when it gets close enough why not get the real deal, as in 1968 car complete with chrome bumpers, and no fat lower lip sticking out front. Looks wise and performance wise, how can you beat a C5 Vette? Are they as practical; well likely not. They are beautiful cars, and it would be fun to be in a Corvette Club. That said, there are Mustang Clubs, the car sits higher, so it is easier to see around in traffic, and it is easier to be seen, and parts are cheaper. Buying a Stang for everyday use is a better choice. I love the sound that the GT puts out. The V6 with a proper setup sounds fair - actually the new Stang in V6 is better without mods. The new one is overpriced for GTs as there is limited supply. I would wait, if buying new, for the '06 and lower prices ahead. As for the article about the cool tach and speedometer, I do wonder how they could like it. The view is obstructed by the steering wheel. When they spread the two out, and put other gages in-between they screwed up the view. The old look, with the rounded dash looks much better anyway. And what is with the flat dash? I had that on my '65 Stang/Falcon original. It is 2005 get over it, and move on. I say, try a Stang a few years older, save $10 to 15K and buy more gas. :shades:
    Loren
  • 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    ....."If you want a good looking, high performance, well put together muscle car, then the choice is the Mustang. There's nothing in between unless you want to get into the 350Zs, RX8s, Audi TTs, etc......"

You forgot the GTO on that list which is actually just as cheap as the Mustang Dollar per horsepower. Both about $83 per horsepower. 350z, RX8, Audi TT are NOT musclecars. Real musclecars have a V8 engine.
    It's ok, but I'm not a fan of the retro look, if you wanted that buy a 1967 or 1968. Better to wait till 2006 to get a better price as demand drops and all the bugs get worked out of a first year model. Speaking of fatter... the GT500 for 2006 gains another 200+ pounds over regular Mustang GT. it will be nearly 3600+ lbs. I rented a V6 Stang in Vegas and was not impressed, could have used more power and the Explorer Derived V6 is on the crude-loud-unrefined sound when you are hard on the gas. The V8 is awesome, what a big dif. It should have ONLY come with the V8. The only way to go is the V8 for a Mustang, otherwise don't buy it. My opinion. The sad part is that 66% of 2004 Mustangs were V6.
    Most people don't cross shop the Mustang and Corvette. $25k vs $45k. I wanted a Corvette and would have bought, but needed a backseat so I ended up with the GTO which has the same 400hp LS2 and drivetrain from Vette. In the end I saved over $10k vs a Vette.
    He wanted to buy a new Stang or a used Vette. I would buy a used Stang. No reason to lose serious money as cars value takes a big hit, especially in the first two years time. As for the GTO, it may be an excellent used car. I still see no reason to pay $13,ooo for a larger engine. Would be a great car in the low 20k's to maybe 25K if ya need a larger engine to drag race on Saturday or something. I saw a Corvette for $39,999 last year as a close-out. That was around $4k off. I think the GTO last year was something like $5k off, which helps, though it is now a $21K trade-in value. Hope no one paid $5k over sticker, as they would feel pretty foolish around now. I can't see paying $25 to $32K for Mustang GTs, but to each his own. You can get pretty low mileage use Stangs for $15k to $20K. Heck, you may find a good lower mileage GT for around $12K as a private buy. - Loren
    Loren....while I don't expect it to last, even used '05 Mustang GTs are fetching MSRP. My dealer tells me he's sold out of the first few months of '06 GT stock by people who couldn't get '05s. So, at least for the next serveral months, Mustang GTs will be in tight supply. Invariably, there will be a price increase for the '06s and Ford has already had a price increase since I ordered mine in Feb.

So, for '05s and at least part of '06, used ones on the new platform should hold their value very well.

I almost jumped on an '04 'vette towards the end of last year because they could be had for under $40K. But, I'm just as happy with the Mustang.
    Some have recently bought leftover 2004 GTO's for as low as $21k, great deal on a basically new 350hp car. Same thing, people that had to have GTO when it first came out were paying over MSRP, crazy! Just like some of the Mustang V8 owners now paying MSRP or higher. Crazy.

Never pay MSRP for a car and never will. Wait for the 2nd or 3rd year when popularity drops and prices drop/incentives increase and the bugs of a 1st yr are worked out. But you are right, to each their own!
    I see a gradual swing towards manufacturer's sticking to MSRP pricing. Just look at Scion and Mini....or any of the hybrids (including the Escape hybrid), MSRP is what you pay.

I think because the Mustang GT is such a good car for such a good price, for that reason alone, you may not see much in the way of discounting in the foreseeable future. There's just no need since it offers so much at MSRP.

My current "to the airport and back....hauling duties" car is a Vibe. I'm looking at a Scion Xb for no other reason that it gives me even more hauling capabilities and good MPG, that I might trade the Vibe for one.....AT MSRP, since it's such a good deal at that price.

'04 'vettes were screaming bargains at under $40K last year. I think even at $45K+ for the '05s, is a good deal. The Mustang GT fits into the same category. You just can't find that blend of performance, utility, style, ride, handling, build at anywhere near it's price. That's why they've been selling so tremendously.
    Um no.. you can get a 2004 GTO with a 350hp 5.7L V8 for $22k or less and it has a backseat. That is the ultimate deal out there. Yes it can seat 4 adults comfortable unlike a Mustang.

2005 Mustang GT will drop about 50% retail in the next 3 to 5 yrs like typical American cars. Sorry but, Consumer reports like me found it's interior to be cheap hard plastics-cheapness, that is why it starts at $19k. Esp that hard plastic flat interior. Have the 2005 GTO, interior/seats much nicer just as Car and Driver found them over the Mustang.
    I think (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth) graphicguy's point was that the mustang is priced incredibly well. While you may find a 2004 GTO for under $22,000, it is listed as a $33,000 car. Asking a $7,000 premium over another car should definitely result in better quality materials. 22k is a phenomenal price for this car (clearly a better deal), but it is a 1/3 discount that (I think) cannot continue. If the 2005 models are given another 11k discount, there is no way a profit is being made - so why continue to produce it? That being said, the GTO is seen around here about as much as the Lotus Esprit. I am surprised I don't see more, especially since I can think of 3 GM buildings within 20 miles of where I spend most of my time. Rare is always cool - does any car from the 1980s or earlier ever not get your attention?

The sticker price of the Mustang GT is the same as the G6 GT in Pontiac's lineup. Granted they aren't for the same market at all - but which is going to be viewed as a better deal? Roughly 100 more hp, a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, heritage, and about the same gas mileage as the G6 make the Mustang appear to be a steal. The MSRP is fair enough that discounts shouldn't be necessary for a while. If there are incentives by the 5th year, which is definitely within the realm of possibility, the car should be due for a redesign by that point (or shortly after) anyway.
    Saw a new GTO for 27,785 today. Not bad I guess if ya really need the 6.0, but gosh that deal of $22K for a 5.7 sounds best to me. As for the Mustang GT, I think I would go for the previous model and save $$$. I like the interior and gages better on the previous model anyway. If reliable, the New Stang in a V6 looks like the best deal. Lower insurance rate, fair gas mileage with the stick, and lower cost to buy. 205HP in CA, ain't so bad. More than my '65 289 had. Why they put a flat skinny dash like a '65 and the round speedo and tach so far apart it can be seen well through the dash, I just don't know. Retro? Well it looks pretty good. Like the '68 a bit more, but still pretty good. It now has throttle-by-wire, which I don't want. It has electric windows that lower a inch and raise an inch on entry and exit, which is one more thing to go wrong. I may just get a used older one, if I go with a Stang again some day. The '98 looks great, and '99 on were tighter and better handling, along with adequate power. Not too much more in the torque dept. these days. Ah, everyone wants the new toys. I do see where the car is suppose to be an overall improvement in handling and quality. Usually these statements are overdone. Every model change is this or that best ever and blah, blah, blah. More techno stuff, usually means more problems. - Loren
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    How can you compare apples to oranges?? The Corvette is a true American sports car. 2 seater vs. 4 seater..... An American icon vs. an American pony car....$50,000 vs. $25,000....Only 33,000 Corvettes produced a year compared to what 200,000 Mustangs a year....
    Sorry to me its an open and shut case. While the Mustang is a nice looking car with some decent numbers (for the GT), the Corvette is a legend.
    And I couldn't agree more. For those who think they get 90% of the performance for 50-60% of the cost, you haven't driven them back to back on the track. Now, admittedlly when you are limited to 65 or 70 mph, ok, you have a case but even a 350hp C5 is a screamer on the track vs. a stock GT Mustang. The handling, grip from bigger rubber, CG all compounds with the 20% HP advantage to make the Corvette 25-40% more capable. And given the price of a used C5 vs. a new GT that probably makes the Corvette a deal.
    Randy
    "
    I am considering a Mustang GT Convertible (5sp) vs a pre-owned C5 Corvette. The C5 would probably be a coupe with removable roof. I plan on it being a daily driver.

I live the advantages of the Mustang; new with warranty, back seat (small), price for new...... But it is not a Vette. The C5 would be, say..an 03 with low miles for very similar money.

Anyone have thoughts or experience to share???? "

--end quote--
    Back to the original question of use as a daily driver. The Mustang will sit higher, and thus better in traffic. Cost of repairs lower with the Stang. And he would have a warranty. What he needs to add though is a roll bar, and that can be a hassle and costly to get one done right. As for the track or on the road, the Corvette wins every time. Heck a Camaro SS would win too. He could buy a used one. The Corvette is an icon, and they have lots of Vette Clubs, which is cool. It is not a simple car come time for repairs. You can buy cheaper tires than original, and save money, but some insist on those very expensive ones. Best looks goes to the Corvette. The Camaro is also a good looker. That long hood, which you can not see from the drivers seat, is a little strange, but the car in any form, including the 3.8 V6 was a good performer. We are talking street and not race track, so HP difference doesn't mean all that much except at the gas pump. Sound wise, the Mustang sounds the best in a V8, then the Corvette, and the V6 Mustang is not as bad a sound as in the past. The Mustangs seem to have a gas fueling problem in the '05, so buyer beware. Some had front end problems too. As for drop top??? I have a Miata, with a roll bar, and it is fun and energizing to the spirit to drive top down on good weather days. That said, there are the obvious drawbacks to convertible. They can over time develop water leaks, they can wear out, they are less secure ( more tempting to vandals ), you can bake inside without sunscreen on, and it requires cleaners and treatments. You may also find the car will have cowl shake, and it will weight more. Cost is also higher. For those reasons, they should make a hardtop Solestic. If you wait a few months, maybe you could get a Solstice? Remember the roll bar.
    Loren
  • gt9gt9 Member Posts: 6
    the vette should out preform the stang given the hp difference. what is wrong with you people. more hp means more proformance. but lets get to the real world test. the stang always beat the camaro and the trans am in the real world. that is stock of the dealers lot. why would anyone in there right mind want to pay 45,000.00 or more for a new vette. im mean all fiberglass. when the stang is steal for 25,000.00 (gt). its a no brainer. stang rules. that was a 84 5.0 mustang GT that i used to have all my fun with. everyone is bad mouthing the solid rear axle of the stang. obviously they have never drove the stang. mine hangs the turns it stays where i put it in the turn. it sets up. does not lean one bit.
    " the vette should out preform the stang given the hp difference. what is wrong with you people. more hp means more proformance. but lets get to the real world test. the stang always beat the camaro and the trans am in the real world. that is stock of the dealers lot. why would anyone in there right mind want to pay 45,000.00 or more for a new vette. im mean all fiberglass. when the stang is steal for 25,000.00 (gt). its a no brainer. stang rules. that was a 84 5.0 mustang GT that i used to have all my fun with. everyone is bad mouthing the solid rear axle of the stang. obviously they have never drove the stang. mine hangs the turns it stays where i put it in the turn. it sets up. does not lean one bit. "

-end quote-

Whoa, slow down and let's analyze what you are saying one line at a time here.
    The Mustang was always slower than the Camaro and Trans Am. And you can buy a used Camaro SS with more HP from years gone bye, say 2000 or around that period.
    The handling is better on Camaro as a match to any year Mustang one on one. The Mustang has a higher seating position which was prefered for driving around town. That is one of the reasons it sold more. Ford backed the Mustang whereas GM left Camaro down. Back to original question of buying a used Corvette - NOT a new one, so he is not paying $45K. Actually, if someone had $40K they could have bought a Corvette last year as a closeout. A solid rear axle, other than for drag racing, is not as good as independant suspension. That is just a fact of life. The hottest setup is with double wishbone front and back. While a Celica has FWD and MacPherson front, they did put double wishbone in the rear, and I will tell ya now, it is goind to outhandle Mustangs. Give a rough road, solid axles skip along and thus you can just dance off the road. I am not saying that you can not have fun with solid axle cars, and go out an wag some tail out of turns and such, but it is not really better or safer than independant. Try driving a Miata, then do the same run in a Stang, and you will feel the difference. For an everyday driver, the Mustang is better than the Miata, or say the Corvette in some ways. You sit higher, the cost of repair may be lower, and it is still fun to drive. Just don't push it like a Vette. As for a steal, my guess is that an '87 Corvette at around $7K+ with low miles would be a steal, or a Mustang GT or V6 between '98 and 2004 is a steal. As for the 2005, I would wait for problems to be worked out, and prices to fall. In about two years time, both will occure. I ownd a '65 and a '85 Stang. The '85 was a 4 banger, which was good on gas mileage and poor on performance, including cornering. The next car I bought was an Olds 98 Regency, which was much better at cornering. Freeway ride of both were good, to better than average. On hard cornering the Mustang of '85 would sometimes cut out on fuel going in. The Camaro, of the same year, would corner much better, trust me. Another idea for the person possibly wanting the Corvette is to go with the 1997 or 1998 year and save some money. As for convertible as a daily drive - NOT recommended.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • beezvettebeezvette Member Posts: 3
    It may be too late but...I went through the exact decision. I sold my '94 Vette (beautiful car but I wanted something newer) and thought I should consider a C5 used, or a Mustang new. I went to a dealer who had both cars in the showroom - a Ford dealer. The Mustang was a new convertable, the Vette was an 02 with 4,000 miles. I sat in both - didn't even need a test drive - the Vette won hands-down in terms of feel, style, quality, as you would expect from a car that costs $20K more than the Mustang. Of course this is totally subjective, and I do think the new Mustang is a sharp looking car, but I ended up buying another Vette (not the one in the dealer's showroom - that's another story ). So now I'm driving an 01 torch red coupe that I bought for $31K with 2500 miles on it and I couldn't be more pleased. The Vette is a different class of automobile, simple as that.
    As you close with the fact that the Vette is in a different class, I couldn't agree more. Our daughter, when out of college got a GT Convertible and really loved that car, but after both Mom and I had Vettes she's only waiting until one comes her way. No contest!
    Hmmm...if Mom and Dad have Vettes, I'm thinking there's one in your daughter's future, and maybe a new one for Mom and/or Dad... :)
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Once you own a Vette, nothing is the same. I waited 48 years for my first one and the smile on my face today is just as wide as the day I brought her home. Mustangs are nice, but NOTHING compares to a Vette. ;)
    Ha, I can relate for sure. I waited 54 years for my 94, and I was so impressed that after 13 months and 5,000 miles, I sold it and bought an '01. And in 2 or 3 years, I'll trade the C5 for a C6. As long as I'm able to get in and out...I'll be driving one...
  • ulosn2meulosn2me Member Posts: 1

Anyone have thoughts or experience to share????

I was in the similar situation 2 months ago, I wanted a newer car to replace my 3000 GT VR4. It would be my daily driver during the "summer" here in Rochester. NY, so unless there is snow it gets driven. I had my selection down to an 05 Stang, used STI, or used EVO all in the 25-28K range. However I walked next door at the Chevy dealership to look around after a disappointing drive in the Stang, which in my opinion (and on paper for that matter) was dominated on both the performance and driving fun factor by the other two turbo 4cyl. This is where I met my "SR-71", a 2000 Targa C5 with 11K on the odo. One drive and it was OVER I walked out the door for 25,200 before my down payment. Between drives to school and work have put 3 thousand on it since (not to mention headers, cams exhaust......hence the ULOSN2ME plates) Is there drawbacks? Sure, the car is "selfish" as it gets! Other than being a blast to drive it's is not functional at all (of course I don't mind this at all.) I have to pull out my truck to go to Home Depot for anything, nothing extra really fits, heck if somebody is sitting shotgun whatever else you have/they bring in the car is going in the under hatch compartment! Furthermore I made several runs on the track (and street) when she was stock in comparison to the Stang there is....None. Perhaps your looking for more in a car than just the ability to "fly" while getting 22+ MPG pressing the right foot down frequently...... (more is attainable another local Vette guy pulls 30ish all the time, just gotta lay off the throttle....) For me it is a perfect match. But were all different, thus the huge selection of cars out there. Nothing like the Vette GRIN!
    have fun driving that 2007 model! I just got back from two days at the track in the Vette, whose wasting time?
  • lilredcorvtlilredcorvt Member Posts: 21
    C'mon now, the Mustang is just too common vehicle. The Mustang doesn't compare with the Vette in terms of prestige and elite status......the Corvette will always turn heads whenever you see one......Mustang doesn't generate the type of response as I mentioned earlier, too common of a vehicle. So the Corvette easily wins hand down for me, performance wise and its terrific styling. :D
  • gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    I am just stunned that anyone sees any comparison between these two cars. :surprise:
    I can see someone liking both and considering both - but there is no comparison to be made between the two.
  • gtvehiclesgtvehicles Member Posts: 3
    Hi Loren,

You write "The Mustangs seem to have a gas fuelling problem in the '05". Please be so kind as to outline the nature of this.

We have shipped a unit overseas and now the trade/client is reporting: fuel injection
    system has malfunctioned and caused the engine to seize - too much fuel has been pumped into number 6 cylinder.

If there are any known problems it would be very helpful for me to know.

Thanks and regards DRT
  • gtvehiclesgtvehicles Member Posts: 3
    We have shipped a 2005 Mustang V8 auto overseas and now the trade/client is reporting: fuel injection system has malfunctioned and caused the engine to seize - too much fuel has been pumped into number 6 cylinder.

If there are any such known problems it would be very helpful for me to advised.
    Answered your question over at the Mustang thread.

Your clients description of excess fuel in the cylinder causing engine seizure sounds very suspect. You might want to dig a little deeper to find out what really happened.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I agree 100%. These are very different cars. The vette is a rocket, and the Stang a car. However, I prefer the GT Stang :P
This discussion has been closed.