Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang GT vs C5 Corvette

Comments

• shillshill Posts: 15
    I think (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth) graphicguy's point was that the mustang is priced incredibly well. While you may find a 2004 GTO for under $22,000, it is listed as a $33,000 car. Asking a $7,000 premium over another car should definitely result in better quality materials. 22k is a phenomenal price for this car (clearly a better deal), but it is a 1/3 discount that (I think) cannot continue. If the 2005 models are given another 11k discount, there is no way a profit is being made - so why continue to produce it? That being said, the GTO is seen around here about as much as the Lotus Esprit. I am surprised I don't see more, especially since I can think of 3 GM buildings within 20 miles of where I spend most of my time. Rare is always cool - does any car from the 1980s or earlier ever not get your attention?

The sticker price of the Mustang GT is the same as the G6 GT in Pontiac's lineup. Granted they aren't for the same market at all - but which is going to be viewed as a better deal? Roughly 100 more hp, a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, heritage, and about the same gas mileage as the G6 make the Mustang appear to be a steal. The MSRP is fair enough that discounts shouldn't be necessary for a while. If there are incentives by the 5th year, which is definitely within the realm of possibility, the car should be due for a redesign by that point (or shortly after) anyway.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Saw a new GTO for 27,785 today. Not bad I guess if ya really need the 6.0, but gosh that deal of $22K for a 5.7 sounds best to me. As for the Mustang GT, I think I would go for the previous model and save $$$. I like the interior and gages better on the previous model anyway. If reliable, the New Stang in a V6 looks like the best deal. Lower insurance rate, fair gas mileage with the stick, and lower cost to buy. 205HP in CA, ain't so bad. More than my '65 289 had. Why they put a flat skinny dash like a '65 and the round speedo and tach so far apart it can be seen well through the dash, I just don't know. Retro? Well it looks pretty good. Like the '68 a bit more, but still pretty good. It now has throttle-by-wire, which I don't want. It has electric windows that lower a inch and raise an inch on entry and exit, which is one more thing to go wrong. I may just get a used older one, if I go with a Stang again some day. The '98 looks great, and '99 on were tighter and better handling, along with adequate power. Not too much more in the torque dept. these days. Ah, everyone wants the new toys. I do see where the car is suppose to be an overall improvement in handling and quality. Usually these statements are overdone. Every model change is this or that best ever and blah, blah, blah. More techno stuff, usually means more problems. - Loren
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    How can you compare apples to oranges?? The Corvette is a true American sports car. 2 seater vs. 4 seater..... An American icon vs. an American pony car....$50,000 vs. $25,000....Only 33,000 Corvettes produced a year compared to what 200,000 Mustangs a year....
    Sorry to me its an open and shut case. While the Mustang is a nice looking car with some decent numbers (for the GT), the Corvette is a legend.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    And I couldn't agree more. For those who think they get 90% of the performance for 50-60% of the cost, you haven't driven them back to back on the track. Now, admittedlly when you are limited to 65 or 70 mph, ok, you have a case but even a 350hp C5 is a screamer on the track vs. a stock GT Mustang. The handling, grip from bigger rubber, CG all compounds with the 20% HP advantage to make the Corvette 25-40% more capable. And given the price of a used C5 vs. a new GT that probably makes the Corvette a deal.
    Randy
    "
    I am considering a Mustang GT Convertible (5sp) vs a pre-owned C5 Corvette. The C5 would probably be a coupe with removable roof. I plan on it being a daily driver.

I live the advantages of the Mustang; new with warranty, back seat (small), price for new...... But it is not a Vette. The C5 would be, say..an 03 with low miles for very similar money.

Anyone have thoughts or experience to share???? "

--end quote--
    Back to the original question of use as a daily driver. The Mustang will sit higher, and thus better in traffic. Cost of repairs lower with the Stang. And he would have a warranty. What he needs to add though is a roll bar, and that can be a hassle and costly to get one done right. As for the track or on the road, the Corvette wins every time. Heck a Camaro SS would win too. He could buy a used one. The Corvette is an icon, and they have lots of Vette Clubs, which is cool. It is not a simple car come time for repairs. You can buy cheaper tires than original, and save money, but some insist on those very expensive ones. Best looks goes to the Corvette. The Camaro is also a good looker. That long hood, which you can not see from the drivers seat, is a little strange, but the car in any form, including the 3.8 V6 was a good performer. We are talking street and not race track, so HP difference doesn't mean all that much except at the gas pump. Sound wise, the Mustang sounds the best in a V8, then the Corvette, and the V6 Mustang is not as bad a sound as in the past. The Mustangs seem to have a gas fueling problem in the '05, so buyer beware. Some had front end problems too. As for drop top??? I have a Miata, with a roll bar, and it is fun and energizing to the spirit to drive top down on good weather days. That said, there are the obvious drawbacks to convertible. They can over time develop water leaks, they can wear out, they are less secure ( more tempting to vandals ), you can bake inside without sunscreen on, and it requires cleaners and treatments. You may also find the car will have cowl shake, and it will weight more. Cost is also higher. For those reasons, they should make a hardtop Solestic. If you wait a few months, maybe you could get a Solstice? Remember the roll bar.
    Loren
  • gt9gt9 Posts: 6
    the vette should out preform the stang given the hp difference. what is wrong with you people. more hp means more proformance. but lets get to the real world test. the stang always beat the camaro and the trans am in the real world. that is stock of the dealers lot. why would anyone in there right mind want to pay 45,000.00 or more for a new vette. im mean all fiberglass. when the stang is steal for 25,000.00 (gt). its a no brainer. stang rules. that was a 84 5.0 mustang GT that i used to have all my fun with. everyone is bad mouthing the solid rear axle of the stang. obviously they have never drove the stang. mine hangs the turns it stays where i put it in the turn. it sets up. does not lean one bit.
    " the vette should out preform the stang given the hp difference. what is wrong with you people. more hp means more proformance. but lets get to the real world test. the stang always beat the camaro and the trans am in the real world. that is stock of the dealers lot. why would anyone in there right mind want to pay 45,000.00 or more for a new vette. im mean all fiberglass. when the stang is steal for 25,000.00 (gt). its a no brainer. stang rules. that was a 84 5.0 mustang GT that i used to have all my fun with. everyone is bad mouthing the solid rear axle of the stang. obviously they have never drove the stang. mine hangs the turns it stays where i put it in the turn. it sets up. does not lean one bit. "

-end quote-

Whoa, slow down and let's analyze what you are saying one line at a time here.
    The Mustang was always slower than the Camaro and Trans Am. And you can buy a used Camaro SS with more HP from years gone bye, say 2000 or around that period.
    The handling is better on Camaro as a match to any year Mustang one on one. The Mustang has a higher seating position which was prefered for driving around town. That is one of the reasons it sold more. Ford backed the Mustang whereas GM left Camaro down. Back to original question of buying a used Corvette - NOT a new one, so he is not paying $45K. Actually, if someone had $40K they could have bought a Corvette last year as a closeout. A solid rear axle, other than for drag racing, is not as good as independant suspension. That is just a fact of life. The hottest setup is with double wishbone front and back. While a Celica has FWD and MacPherson front, they did put double wishbone in the rear, and I will tell ya now, it is goind to outhandle Mustangs. Give a rough road, solid axles skip along and thus you can just dance off the road. I am not saying that you can not have fun with solid axle cars, and go out an wag some tail out of turns and such, but it is not really better or safer than independant. Try driving a Miata, then do the same run in a Stang, and you will feel the difference. For an everyday driver, the Mustang is better than the Miata, or say the Corvette in some ways. You sit higher, the cost of repair may be lower, and it is still fun to drive. Just don't push it like a Vette. As for a steal, my guess is that an '87 Corvette at around $7K+ with low miles would be a steal, or a Mustang GT or V6 between '98 and 2004 is a steal. As for the 2005, I would wait for problems to be worked out, and prices to fall. In about two years time, both will occure. I ownd a '65 and a '85 Stang. The '85 was a 4 banger, which was good on gas mileage and poor on performance, including cornering. The next car I bought was an Olds 98 Regency, which was much better at cornering. Freeway ride of both were good, to better than average. On hard cornering the Mustang of '85 would sometimes cut out on fuel going in. The Camaro, of the same year, would corner much better, trust me. Another idea for the person possibly wanting the Corvette is to go with the 1997 or 1998 year and save some money. As for convertible as a daily drive - NOT recommended.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • beezvettebeezvette Posts: 3
    It may be too late but...I went through the exact decision. I sold my '94 Vette (beautiful car but I wanted something newer) and thought I should consider a C5 used, or a Mustang new. I went to a dealer who had both cars in the showroom - a Ford dealer. The Mustang was a new convertable, the Vette was an 02 with 4,000 miles. I sat in both - didn't even need a test drive - the Vette won hands-down in terms of feel, style, quality, as you would expect from a car that costs $20K more than the Mustang. Of course this is totally subjective, and I do think the new Mustang is a sharp looking car, but I ended up buying another Vette (not the one in the dealer's showroom - that's another story ). So now I'm driving an 01 torch red coupe that I bought for $31K with 2500 miles on it and I couldn't be more pleased. The Vette is a different class of automobile, simple as that.
    As you close with the fact that the Vette is in a different class, I couldn't agree more. Our daughter, when out of college got a GT Convertible and really loved that car, but after both Mom and I had Vettes she's only waiting until one comes her way. No contest!
    Hmmm...if Mom and Dad have Vettes, I'm thinking there's one in your daughter's future, and maybe a new one for Mom and/or Dad... :)
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    Once you own a Vette, nothing is the same. I waited 48 years for my first one and the smile on my face today is just as wide as the day I brought her home. Mustangs are nice, but NOTHING compares to a Vette. ;)
    Ha, I can relate for sure. I waited 54 years for my 94, and I was so impressed that after 13 months and 5,000 miles, I sold it and bought an '01. And in 2 or 3 years, I'll trade the C5 for a C6. As long as I'm able to get in and out...I'll be driving one...
  • ulosn2meulosn2me Posts: 1
    I am considering a Mustang GT Convertible (5sp) vs a pre-owned C5 Corvette. The C5 would probably be a coupe with removable roof. I plan on it being a daily driver.

I live the advantages of the Mustang; new with warranty, back seat (small), price for new...... But it is not a Vette. The C5 would be, say..an 03 with low miles for very similar money.

Anyone have thoughts or experience to share????

I was in the similar situation 2 months ago, I wanted a newer car to replace my 3000 GT VR4. It would be my daily driver during the "summer" here in Rochester. NY, so unless there is snow it gets driven. I had my selection down to an 05 Stang, used STI, or used EVO all in the 25-28K range. However I walked next door at the Chevy dealership to look around after a disappointing drive in the Stang, which in my opinion (and on paper for that matter) was dominated on both the performance and driving fun factor by the other two turbo 4cyl. This is where I met my "SR-71", a 2000 Targa C5 with 11K on the odo. One drive and it was OVER I walked out the door for 25,200 before my down payment. Between drives to school and work have put 3 thousand on it since (not to mention headers, cams exhaust......hence the ULOSN2ME plates) Is there drawbacks? Sure, the car is "selfish" as it gets! Other than being a blast to drive it's is not functional at all (of course I don't mind this at all.) I have to pull out my truck to go to Home Depot for anything, nothing extra really fits, heck if somebody is sitting shotgun whatever else you have/they bring in the car is going in the under hatch compartment! Furthermore I made several runs on the track (and street) when she was stock in comparison to the Stang there is....None. Perhaps your looking for more in a car than just the ability to "fly" while getting 22+ MPG pressing the right foot down frequently...... (more is attainable another local Vette guy pulls 30ish all the time, just gotta lay off the throttle....) For me it is a perfect match. But were all different, thus the huge selection of cars out there. Nothing like the Vette GRIN!
    have fun driving that 2007 model! I just got back from two days at the track in the Vette, whose wasting time?
  • C'mon now, the Mustang is just too common vehicle. The Mustang doesn't compare with the Vette in terms of prestige and elite status......the Corvette will always turn heads whenever you see one......Mustang doesn't generate the type of response as I mentioned earlier, too common of a vehicle. So the Corvette easily wins hand down for me, performance wise and its terrific styling. :D
  • gottabgtogottabgto Posts: 95
    I am just stunned that anyone sees any comparison between these two cars. :surprise:
    I can see someone liking both and considering both - but there is no comparison to be made between the two.
  • Hi Loren,

You write "The Mustangs seem to have a gas fuelling problem in the '05". Please be so kind as to outline the nature of this.

We have shipped a unit overseas and now the trade/client is reporting: fuel injection
    system has malfunctioned and caused the engine to seize - too much fuel has been pumped into number 6 cylinder.

If there are any known problems it would be very helpful for me to know.

Thanks and regards DRT
  • We have shipped a 2005 Mustang V8 auto overseas and now the trade/client is reporting: fuel injection system has malfunctioned and caused the engine to seize - too much fuel has been pumped into number 6 cylinder.

If there are any such known problems it would be very helpful for me to advised.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,366
    Answered your question over at the Mustang thread.

Your clients description of excess fuel in the cylinder causing engine seizure sounds very suspect. You might want to dig a little deeper to find out what really happened.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I agree 100%. These are very different cars. The vette is a rocket, and the Stang a car. However, I prefer the GT Stang :P
    Sorry I did not get back to this particular forum again sooner. The fueling problem is
    nothing related to the engine, but only in getting fuel into the tank. And by now, Ford
    I am sure has it solved. Turning the hose upside down is said to work, though I don't
    know about that. You hear strange things on the Web. The gripe about fuel not going
    in was pretty common on threads on the Mustang forum.

Which is better, a Stang or a Vette? Well they both have their selling points. Both would be fun to own. If getting in and out of a C5 Vette is not too hard on the back at the time, I may buy one in a few years. I liked the C5 series, and found the entry and exit easier than the C4 by far. Still, it does sit low, so it may be hard on the back. I have found, when I owned the Miata, that in town it is harder to drive do to low seat position, and that other cars do not notice you down there. So advantage to Mustang vs, Corvette in seeing over things and being seen. Other than that, Corvettes look awesome, and I am sure out handle the Stang. I do like'em both. For now, I am just cruisin' for a few years - as in PT Cruiser. Gone is the Miata. If I had a garage, a Miata or a Corvette would have a home. As it is now, the car stays outside. Will also consider an 'o4 or maybe an o6 Stang some day, unless I can no longer stand the high fuel costs. In CA it is now $3 for gas !

Loren
  • This is a cool car. 240,000.00 Check it out.
    http://home.triad.rr.com/castagna/mustang-gt.html

Sammy Castagna
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Uh, I think there's a slight difference between a Ford GT and a Ford Mustang GT......

And whoever would pay 240,000 for a Ford GT needs to have their head examined (unless, of course, it's one of the original GT40s).
  • Sorry my mistake about the Mustang. But the Mustang GT is a nice looking car too.

Sammy Castagna
  • It ain't only about which car performs better. After all, a $50,000+ Vette better have more going for it than a $25,000 Pony car -- 0 to 60 for a Vette is much less than for a Mustang. Nevertheless, even though I've always loved Vettes, and can afford one, I just can't see myself in one. The guys driving Vettes look like bankers, lawyers, or other nouveau riche types out to impress the world -- not my crowd, even tho I'm a highly paid professional. The Mustang, on the other hand, is a badass car out to impress no one. It's cheap, it's dirty, and it's dangerous. Vettes are clean and upscale, Mustangs rock 'n roll.
    Pony_Pirate, it's all about timing. You're not ready for a Vette and enjoy the stang, but my guess is, as Yoda would say, "You will be"! As to who drives Vettes you would be surprised, mostly down to earth and probably had to reach some to get into one. There are plenty like me who never had a passion but found that it just worked better than what else was available at the time. And everyone is different, the car club is mostly show folks, some who like to cruise, and a few like me that want the performance side and of those, the drag crowd is a lot different from the track (road course) crowd. Since my daughter had a new GT/vert '00 when I got my Vette and she would run with that group I got to meet many, just other car people for the most part and learned a few things as well. Remember all things change and that includes you and me!
  • Different strokes. Vettes are great, no one would argue otherwise, just not my cup of tea. Actually, as far as upgrading to a faster car, I'm serioiusly thinking (and dreaming) about getting a Shelby Cobra Mustang SVT. Man, that car is b-a-d!
  • these cars are uncomparable... if u want fun transportaion get the mustang... if you can afford it get the vette... if u say u can afford it and u like the mustang better... u dont want as much from a vehicle as me and id have to say that i think your quite boring... the mustang will never handle as good as the vette... and wont stop better... of course it is possible to make a mustang out accelerate a vette... but dont look for vette owners who have modified there cars to race... if GM still made the Fbodies this discussion would prolly not be here... in my oppinion the 98-03 fbodies are still the better buy for all around bang for the buck performance in the mustangs price range and still quite affordable... get a 03 z28, a wet nitrous kit and slicks... or a supercharger and some Gforces and go draggin or road racing for the price of the new mustang which can also do both, but no where near as well... hope i didnt offend anyone - Ron G
  • donthaterong, what do you think of the comparison between the C6 and Shelby Cobra Mustang? The Shelby, adequately equipped and with dealer markup, will probably end up costing in the mid to high $40's, just shy of the C6 range. Is the car worth it? Will the Shelby kick the Vette's [non-permissible content removed] -- Shelby 450 HP vs C6 400 HP? Will it be reliable or serviceable, at least compared to the Vette?

I was initially attracted to the Shelby when I read the price was going to be in the high $30's, but with it inching up closer and closer to $50k, I'm having serious second thoughts.
    You can get a C6 in base mode for mid $40's right now with the discounts on '05s. Even on '06 for order exactly as you want will only run about mid $40's without $5k of options. Now I think those $5k are well spent, HUD and sport seats with Z51 and polished wheels, but not for everyone. That leaves a fully optioned '06 C6 at about $51 with minimun $2k off, so $49 before tax and lic.

As noted, the Mustang will not handle as well as the Vette out of the box, so expect to spend more there to get it to handle. Of course 450hp would be nice out of the box ...
This discussion has been closed.