Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    did say, "In fact, now I wish I can buy an Azera with 3.8L engine that will blow the doors off of V6 Accords."

I am just stating it can't blow the doors off all the V6 Accord's.

Actually, I just checked C&D for the Azera's performance results.

Azera:
    Zero to 60 mph: 6.5 sec
    Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec
    Accord:

Accord:
    Zero to 60mph: 6.6 sec
    quarter-mile in 15.1

That .1 difference will really blow the doors off a V6 Accord.

BUT WAIT, the Accord will blow the doors off the Azera in the 1/4 mile with the .1 difference.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Wow, looks pretty identical to me. By blow the doors off, he must mean: "is just as fast."
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No need to make this personal.

And let me also remind you that since street racing is illegal, we're not going to talk about here - check the Membership Agreement link on the left side of the page for the details.

Thank you.
    As much as I'd like to stay and chat about the numerous accelerative abilites of these cars, I'm afraid I must venture out into the world of 3-Dimensional people soon. Have a nice night, all.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You not even own V6??? Y did you even start this conversation? Let's talk about it later when you own a dark horse like mine

Exactly! You're hilarious!

Nothing like owning a with a V6 to tout it's abilities instead of just quoting some magazine.

But, my Korean friend, your Sonata is not the fastest car on the road. OK? Maybe in YOUR price range, but a TL will leave you reading it's "TL" badge all the time if you're gonna push one, but, then again, the M3 will smoke the TL, the Vette will smoke the TL, and so on....

The new V6s are so much more fuel efficient than before - they're a must in my book.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    A perfectly legitimate reason and a great choice, as I mentioned.
    There is this.. a Couple bought an XLS Avalon on the day the new Camry's came out. When they came to pick up the Avy ( sans Navi ) the new V6 XLE was next to it w/Navi @ $31500 ish. They drove the XLE, cancelled the Avy on the spot and took home the $31500 XLE and saved $2000 and got Navi included.

It was a good deal for them so they leapt all over it.
  • 94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    Make sure you double check your mileage by doing manual calculations and see how it compares to the trip computer. Trip computers are not entirely accurate at times. My Infiniti's trip computer was always high by about 4-5 mpg, and the Mercedes is always off by 1.5 - 2 mpg's as well.

Maybe you should have bought a Sonata. I have manually tested mine and it has been within .2 each time. Maybe these other brands have reliablility issues. LOL!
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Jumping to conclusions? I owned a Hyundai before you even drove one for a test drive.
    I examined the new Sonata and ther new Camry, Accord and Mazda 6. If you tell me that the fit and finish of a Sonata is better than Marcedes and any other cars you examined, you must be smoking crack. Maybe its has better fit and finish than Daewoo, Ssangyong , Geely, Indicar, Proton but not any other car especially Mercedes.

-------------

Hey, no use in getting bitter and angry. It's only a car. You think it's cool telling me I'm smoking crack, but I think it's pretty low class and quite unnecessary.

I have owned an Audi, a Passat, and a Jetta, so I know a little something. And I just had a new Camry in my driveway today, and examined the panel lines carefully. Turns out, I didn't even need to do a careful examination. The panel lines were a good 1mm wider than my Sonata's, and varied by as much as 2mm! It was no contest at all. My Passat and Audi were slightly better than the Camry, but not much. I'm not a Koolaid drinker. I know the Camry is a better car than the Sonata in some ways. My point is, the Sonata V6 is a high quality little rocket, and a blast to drive. It's arguably the best value in its group. Many auto publications and writers agree with me. I'm sorry your irrational hatred for Hyundai cars is preventing us from having a civil conversation.

PS: Daimler-Chrysler is buying the Hyundai I4 for use in some of their smaller cars. Don't be too shocked if the V6 pops up in a Mercedes some day. Oh the horror and shame!!! :D
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    "Giantkiller: You obviously haven't driven or even examined a Sonata. I have never seen such body panel fit. Not in Mercedes, not in any other car I have examined."

Are you serious??? You are comparing the Hyundai detail quality to Mercedes??? Now I have heard it all. Have you sat in a CLS or S-Class, or dare I mention the SL?? You must not have. Hyundai isn't even on par with Honda's interior fit and finish futher more going into the luxury market. COme on man, we have to be realistic. Hyundai lovers sure are a devoted bread. I tell you that.
    I don;t know what is going on in this forum!!! I have read the last several pages and man have things gone over board. The Sonata is being put on this high horse where it does not belong. Granted it is a GREAT value. However, EVERYONE SHOULD REALIZE THAT IT IS A FAMILY SEDAN. It is not a sports sedan. In the curves and twists, give me a Mazda6 anyday. A Mazdaspeed6 if I really want to drive. The Sonata is a great family sedan but the descriptions of it being a "blast to drive" are a little over rated. I may want to pick this over a 3 Series if I go by what is being said. For a sports sedan go for a Legacy, a Mazda6, a Pontiac G6, that is their niche and they do it well. For a family sedan go for a Sonata or Camry or Fusion. The Accord is the closest you get to the best of both worlds. But let's not try to make these cars soemthing they are not. And before someone opens their mouth to say it, YES I HAVE DRIVEN THE SONATA.

We can be subjective on looks but on driving dynamics we have to be a little more objective. A Trailblazer SS will probably run faster to 60 than a Legacy Spec B. But which is really the better driver?
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I didn't realize this forum was about racing?! Maybe that's where the disconnect is!
    Granted, the computing power of trip computers in auto's in the last 5 years have gone up significantly, so they're probably more accurate.

Getting better MPG's is not just about saving a few bucks. It's also about being more environmentally friendly and becoming less reliant on imported oil. If everyone could improve their MPG's by 10%, it would have a significant impact on the price of oil, and would also reduce air polution as well. :shades:
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Funny guy. Hey I got a new Sonata in my driveway right now and have measured its panel gap with my new Camry. Oh yeah I've got a new Camry and a new Sonata on my driveway. Thats in addition to a new Ferrari a new Mercedes outside waiting for me to park it in my 10 car parking garage. In addition I owned BMW, Audi, Bently, Maserati,etc.. You name I probably owned it in the past. Lets get back to the measurement shall we? Well, I have measured the panel gaps on both Camry and Sonata and on the Average the Sonata panel gaps is wider by 10mm or 1cm. There you go funny guy.
    With all of that, you should be on Carspace.com to show all of your stuff.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    ahhh, at last someone with a bit of sense!! what a waste these last few pages have been! focusing on one aspect and building it up to be a straw man to be blown away by a little common sense. well said driverdm. there are different cars for different types of drivers. some like communicative steering, some like road feel, some like a couch-like experience, some want storage space, some want status, etc, etc; none is THE answer to all.

and to those who think it's ok to endanger others on the road by trying to race everyone everywhere: if you really want to compete, do it on an auto-x course or drag strip. there's enough bad drivers out there killing loved ones and family members because their pride blinded their common sense. there's a time and a place to compete; a public road is not it.
    some like communicative steering, some like road feel, some like a couch-like experience, some want storage space, some want status, etc, etc; none is THE answer to all.

Sounds like they need a Honda Odyssey, they could get all of that (minus the minivan status)! :-)
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    I can't speak for anyone else, but my handling tests are done via AUTO-X. All of my cars have experienced it, because that is where I can safely open them up. My new Camry will do the same. And you are correct...I don't buy for just driving dynamics, but the new Camry has the best of both worlds IMO and that is what matters.

My S80 could obliterate any of the other sedans mentioned in a straight line (from the line and running start) but I wouldn't dare take a curve too quickly.
    Funny guy. Hey I got a new Sonata in my driveway right now

----------------

Yes, I do own a new Sonata. The Camry belongs to a friend, and is gone. I never said it was mine, and you know it.

My Audi started falling apart, so I traded it in on a Mazda626. That was a good car, but noisy as hell. I recently sold it and got the Sonata. I really loved the Quantum (sorry I called it a Passat!). The interior sucked, and it rattled after a couple of years. The exhaust manifold cracked, so I fixed it and traded it in on a Toyota truck, which I still have. I really loved the Jetta, but my wife hated the stick shift, so I traded it in on the Audi. I have yet to sit in more comfortable seats than our Audi.

You and some of the others are putting words in my mouth, BIG TIME. How childish.

You refuse to acknowledge that I have admitted the Sonata is not quite as good a car as the Camry. How disingenuous of you. Grow up.

How DARE anyone compare the panel lines of a lesser breed to a Mercedes! Well, I am. But that's all, just the panel lines.

I drove the Mazda6, and it handled better than the Sonata. But, my wife hated the harsh ride and noise. It's not a mom car. But on the bright side, the Sonata's engine is way smoother and quieter, and if anything, a little more powerful.

About Hyundai quality: Look at the JD Power ratings. The ratings don't prove a lot, but they are a good indicator. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The G6 a sports sedan? Puh-leeeze. Sporty styling does not a sports sedan make.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    And a big surprise! The all-new, $30k Camry edges the Accord and tops low-bucks Sonata and Fusion:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109710/pageId=692- 76

The best of class? Probably. Worth up to $9000 more to most of the people who will drive these family haulers? I dunno...
    "I drove the Mazda6, and it handled better than the Sonata. But, my wife hated the harsh ride and noise. It's not a mom car. But on the bright side, the Sonata's engine is way smoother and quieter, and if anything, a little more powerful."

Here you go again. The Mazda6 is a better driver's car than the Sonata, just admit it. A BMW 3 Series ride is just as harsh as the 6's. You try to bash the 6 in compariso nto the Sonata without giving credit to the fact THAT THEY ARE FOR TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BUYERS. My goodness. I don't know about smoother, I actually like the 6's peppyness. And I will take the better driving dynmaics over the 14 more horses, it really isn't a big deal to me. Different cars for different buyers.

As Edmund said in its family car comparison last year. The 6 is the only car in the bunch that they would find an excuse just to go drive.
    Look at the comparo of the V6 Sedans and read the Fusion review. Keeping in mind that the Ford is based on the Mazda, look at what it says about driving dynamics.

"With its taut chassis, confident steering and predictable handling, the Fusion exhibited a sophisticated-sporty nature that even the best handler of the group, the Honda Accord, lacked. In this regard, the Fusion excels in our group, but like a BMW, the trade-off is that this attribute takes it further away from what some might call a luxurious ride."

That is what was said about the Fusion. Mazda takes the handling beyond that. The advantages to the Mazda over the Fusion are in exterior and interior styling and driving dynamic. To me, the Mazda is a better car. I can't wait to see the New Mazda6 when it comes out next year or so.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Look at the price differences folks in these sedans!! I cannot belive Edmunds feels a $5K difference is worth it for the Camry..?? or even a 3-4K difference is worth it for the Accord.. They claim resale advantage.. you pay more upfront, resale better be more.
    I find it funny how now the Fusion is slammed for items that Edmunds liked before. The new Camry took styling from the Mazda 6. Its all over the front grill area. As consumers realize they don't need to spend $$$ for a reliable, functional family sedan, articles like these are going to just go by the wayside. I just laugh.. $5K more to own a Toyota.. not me, no way, no how...
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Just barely edged out the Accord.

Have no time to read the comparison, but I agree that the Camry should come first. It should since it costs $9000 more. Although, it did come with navigation and a lot of luxury features which the Sonata and Fusion didn't have.
    The thing is, it's not just $5-6k--because big rebates and incentives are available on the Sonata and Fusion/Milan. It's more like $9k, as I said.

They were making a point about the Sonata's power steering being lost for a moment in the slalom. How often will that happen in real life? It's apparent that as a class, these cars are getting so good that the rankings are due to things that most buyers's won't notice or care about. Yes, the Camry and Accord are fine machines--for those willing and able to pay thousands more for the differences. I suppose we'll see the Accord jump back on top when the new one comes out next year--it only lost to the Camry by a fraction of a point, which is a very good showing for a four-year-old car.
    Notice that Edmunds faulted the Fusion for not having navigation and satelite radio but not the Sonata. How does that work? How do they give credit to the Sonata for an aftermarket option? I could get a Ford Fusion to have nav and three tvs and a modified engine producing over 300 hp! Should that have an effect on a comparison of "stock" cars? And then also give credit to the Sonata for having satelite radio on the way and not the Fusion which will have many of the safety equipment it has as optional in 2006 as standard for 2007. Ford has also said satelite will be available soon on its models as I remember. COme on Edmunds. I am not making this stuff up, I have copied the parts of the article I am talking about.

On the Sonata...
    One savvy Edmunds.com reader has found a way to add DVD/satellite navigation (see Consumer Commentary) to his Sonata, and we're also told by Hyundai that XM Satellite Radio is on its way, standard on all models by calendar-year 2007. All this equipment for such a reasonable price still drives the value of the Sonata way, way up.

XM radio standard? Does that seem right?

On the Fusion:
    Several of our test Fusion SEL's options were standard on the Accord EX, Sonata LX and Camry XLE, including ABS, traction control, airbag curtains and side-impact (thorax) airbags. Some of the cars feature content that isn't even available on the Fusion, like stability control, navigation and satellite radio.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Fact of the matter is, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is just that. However, its the only set pricing available for use in comparison tests like this. For its $6 grand premium over the Sonata, there are quite a few big ticket features that the Camry has- Navigation, SmartKey, 440 Watt JBL.. to name a few.

Eventually, the Camry will come down around invoice, and rebates will appear toward the end of the run, if the former generation is any indication.

The Camry did indeed only eek out a win by mere fractions of a point, but the praise in the text flowed very freely from edmunds.com...

"With the anticipation of parents watching their child win a spelling bee with the final letter, we watched the Camry's point total edge out the Accord's by a 0.64 margin. Despite what this might indicate, there really was no dispute regarding which of these four cars should win the comparison."

That says a whole heck of a lot. As does

"Every so often, an automaker produces something so extraordinary that it manages to not only eclipse its own predecessor, but also succeeds in making the competition appear obsolete."

What surprised me most though, were the comments on the Camry's improved handling capabilities.

I'm still not a big fan of edmunds.com comparison tests, what I'd really like to see is a re-match, plus a few more entrants... of the Dec 05 comparo in Car and Driver.

~alpha
    Let me refer back to my post #1774 which was made the day before the midsized comparo was published...

Head of the class V6, styling ( admittedly subjective ) will attract a lot of new buyers, continued advancement in refinement, hybrid option all make the Camry the benchmark again in addition to the well known rep for quality and value.

Nothing has been lost in this Gen6 .. much has been gained and Hyundai, Honda and Nissan still have to do more to keep up. Price isnt everything. If it was the CamCords would be sitting on lots with cobwebs on them.. they arent.

Toyota moved the bar again. It's up to the others to catch up in ways other than just price

The market will speak and prices will come down in good order as referenced by alpha01 but this will only make it even more difficult for the others to compete with this new Gen6.

A few comments about pricing: For the proponents of pricing as the primary criteria for purchasing... what if... at some time soon the management of certain companies start saying 'Ok now we have established our good rep. Let's begin to cash in on it and stop giving Toyota & Honda gobs of free money. It's time we began to make big buck like the other two.'

Nissan is normally just behind it's two compatriots
    Hyundai is 'leaving tons of money on the table' as the phrase goes.
    Ford has some issues it has to deal with concerning the engine and retesting with the IIHS before it can join the others.

Hyundai has a state of the art new plant that may soon rival Georgetown and Marysville. In Ala. it's costs are very likely just the same as HonYota. Either,
    a) they are losing money hand over fist to establish the product line. Is it realistic to consider this to go on forever?
    b) they are making a nominal profit at the current giveaway prices which as noted are $5000 - $9000 lower than Toyota for example.

The Koreans are very good business people. Did they build this huge beautiful new plant as a gesture of generosity to the people of AL and goodwill toward the American public so that they could give away cars and lose money? Very unlikely.

Are they looking at the volumes of the CamCords ( each double the Sonata's ) and the ~$5000 each CamCord brings above the Sonata and say ' Why not us too? ' Very likely... soon too.
    Did they build this huge beautiful new plant as a gesture of generosity to the people of AL and goodwill toward the American public so that they could give away cars and lose money? Very unlikely.

I doubt it, but we Alabamians would certainly appreciate such a gesture! LOL
    Fact of the matter is, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is just that. However, its the only set pricing available for use in comparison tests like this. For its $6 grand premium over the Sonata, there are quite a few big ticket features that the Camry has- Navigation, SmartKey, 440 Watt JBL.. to name a few.....

There IS more to it than just price, ah haa! I've been thinking that the whole time. These 4 autos all compete for the same driver, what I call the "fat middle" of the market. So far, I would say the Sonata is probably stealing more sales away from GM and to some extent Ford (but now they have the Fusion to keep buyers in the fold) than it has from Honda or Toyota. Rightly so, the Sonata is a much better vehicle than anything GM puts out right now, and they compete in the same price class, with rebates and all. Honda and Toyota ARE a step up from the Fusion or Sonata, but the added upfront cost to acquire one is a major factor for many people.

I think you can't go wrong with any of these, but time will tell when it's 3 - 5 years down the road when it comes to resale value. I'm not just talking about dollar value, but also how much each will be desired by the car driving public as a used car purchase. For me, I'm still taking a longer term view and will go for the sure thing (Honda/Toyota) until proven otherwise. :shades:
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    no mazda6, no altima or maxima... i dont understand their evaluation criteria, and i dont understand why the aforementioned cars weren't included... they neatly skirted the issue. i read edmunds regularly, and it seems to be turning into motor trend... keep this up guys and i wont be reading your reviews anymore. the forums and things like vehicle values, incentives and other information keep this place alive, they shouldn't bother with reviews if they're going to be as crappy as this most recent one.
    that was the most stupid comparo ever by narenji Mar 27, 2006 (11:08 pm)
    no mazda6, no altima or maxima... i dont understand their evaluation criteria, and i dont understand why the aforementioned cars weren't included...

Mazda 6 - too small
    Nissan Altima - about extinct, new model out in months
    Nissam Maxima - in a class w/Avalon, Azera, and Five Hundred, not CamCord, Fusion, Sonata
    Mazda 6 - too small
    Nissan Altima - about extinct, new model out in months

Why is the Mazda too small for this comparison? We aren't talking feet, we are talking about a couple inches. The Mazda actually has more space in some dimensions. The Mazda is a niche player and not really in the upper ranks because as I just said, it is a niche player so that may be a reason to keep it out of the comparo.

Now the Altima is a completely different subject. The Altima is being redesigned, but the Accord is also. Why include the Accord and not the Altima. Also in the last comparo between the Sonata, Camry, and Accord, the Altima was left out. Can you remember a car comparo when the Aaltima was included in recent months. Even car and driver left them out of the "Modern Day Heroes" comparo where they had the Jetta GTI, Speed6, TSX, and the Accord. If you're going to include the Accord, how do you not include the Altima?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You're a bit off- theres a new Altima that will be available this fall. The new Accord will be the fall after that, as in... Fall 2007 as an '08 (unless Honda bumps up the schedule in response to the Camry and Altima redesigns.. don't forget, this Camry debuted 6 months ahead of Toyota's typical 5 year model cycle, with the 02 Camry debuting in August 01)...

The Mazda 6 is dimensionally much smaller overall than any of the cars in this comparison test, though it is a vehicle I personally like very much- I'm enjoying my hatchback rental this week, Hertz was unable to provide the Fusion I requested....

~alpha
    If you take a ponder into the editor evaluations of the recent Edmunds comparo somehting interesting comes up. THe Sonata and the Fusion fair very similarly.

If you look at the ride category which has individual evaluations in Front Seat Comfort, Back Seat Comfort, Wind & Road Noise, and Rattles & Sqeaks, you see something alarming. The Sonata came in LAST in each category. The rattles and sqeaks thing really gets to me since I keep hearing about the incredible build quality.
    Alpha, I still do not see how it being smaller puts it out of the competition. Put it in the competition and fault it for poor back leg space if anything. But to leave it out all together based on space? They didn't do that last year when the Mazda came in second to the Accord. Come on now, you know that isn't right.

And I also don't see how relevant it is to not include the Altima becuase it will be redesigned. Didn't just a coupel months ago they compared the New Sonata to the Camry and Accord. In this instance you are talking baout half a year that will go by before the new Altima hits, they compared the old Cmary when the new one was basically being unvailed and would be out in a couple months.

I say compare what you have because that is what wil lbe relevant to people buying the cars today and tomorrow.
    Alpha, I still do not see how it being smaller puts it out of the competition. Put it in the competition and fault it for poor back leg space if anything. But to leave it out all together based on space?

You know good and well if Mazda 6 had been in the comparo and lost out b/c of its small interior, Mazda-ees would be saying (if not necessarily you) that it wasn't fair because the Mazda is a niche player and shouldn't be forced to compete with the more "mainstream" cars that are larger inside.

I didn't say I'D leave it out, just probably a reason that THEY did. I like the 6, personally.

NOTE: Someone asked about the Altima being left out while the Accord is also due for a redesign...this isn't true. The Accord will be new for 2008, while Altimas will be out for 2007. 12 months is a long time.
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    Just finish reading that funny comparo.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR??? Are they realize most of family can't afford $30,800 family sedan?

Winner at over $30,000, and that was V6 FAMILY SEDAN COMPARISON? In where I live, I have to pay almost $34,000 after tax and L&D to get that Camry. Edmunds.com have to be more realistic about how much people will spend on Family Sedans. Y they did not also test smaller BMW and AUDI on that comparo while they test the car over $30,000?

Both of editors Second Opinions also make me more wonder how Camry got 1st place.

Senior Content Editor Erin Riches says:
    "But as excellent as these two sedans are, there's just no need to spend upward of $28,000 to get one. Both the Hyundai Sonata and Ford Fusion will get the job done for thousands less.
    Of these two, the cheaper Sonata would be my pick."

Senior Road Test Editor Josh Jacquot says:
    "Bottom line? I'll take the $25,000 Hyundai with its more-than-adequate content and gets-the-job-done performance. Pile on its 100,000-mile powertrain and five-year roadside assistance warranties, and it's probably the smartest buy of the bunch."

I paid $19,500 for my LX Sonata, and that makes about $11,000 price gap in real life. If Toyota throw their best $1,000 rebates, it will still be about $10,000 above Sonata.

Obviously those two editors are retirees who has nothing to do with points.
    I agree that the Mazda6 could be left out because it is a niche player. I siad that in a previous post. I just don't see them leaving it out because of its size. But no matter how you look at it we both agree that it could reasonably be left out. The Altima I think should have been in no matter how close the redesign is. If they included the old Camry when the new one was months off in the last Sonata, Aaccord, Camry comparo, they could have included the Altima in this one. Also, they left it out of that last one as well. Will the ALtima ever make it into a comparo again?
    family sedans or not, people routinely cross shop between cars... who is to say that a camry/accord/sonata/fusion shopper wont look at the azera, or the maxima, or five hundred (you gotta be kidding about that POS, but anyway) or passat ... if i were in the market for a 5spd manual car w/ a v6, my options are smaller, but when comparing automatic cars, theres a bevy of cars... different classes or not, people cross-shop regularly. you can tell me a TSX is not in the same class, and i'll buy that... but if i were looking at a 30k accord, i would definitely look at a 30k maxima...
    maybe nissan isn't buying as much AD space on edmunds.com??
    Look, we (meaning you) don't have to understand it, it is what it is. Calling it a stupid comparo is nonsense. It does have relevance for those who are looking for a new vehicle. Why the Altima was excluded - who knows, maybe someone at Edmunds can answer that. The Mazda 6 was probably excluded because it's sales aren't nearly as high as the big boys, and it's "gotta-have" factor makes it more like a niche player, similar to Subara and VW. BTW, I never did get why Mazda always seemed a step behind in size if they really wanted to compete. Same for Subaru - it's current Legacy based auto's are actually a bit smaller in the interior than the previous one - I guess they didn't want to grow their market share.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Personally I expected the results. A few surprising items to note on the Sonata, it scored well on NVH (db), even lower than the Camry, something I did not expect; power and acceleration was good (enough to edge the Accord); braking was superb, stopping at the shortest distance.

Since price sensitivity plays a huge role in the midsize class, I would divide these four into two classes, especially given the vast price differences. And while on the subject, if I was on a budget, the Sonata would be my pick; it trounces competitors in many key areas, and categories relevant to my needs. The combination of value and features, perhaps, is the best bang for the buck car ever produced.

In all, these sedans are all great. Of course, there are areas where they excel and shine, respectively, but also areas where each would need to further improve upon.
    ----------------------------

Here you go again. The Mazda6 is a better driver's car than the Sonata, just admit it.

------------------------------

I already said I liked the Mazda's handling better. Isn't once enough? Do you want me to chant it? :P

Sometines I think you are using a strange, agenda-driven filter to interpret my posts. You read all sorts of things into my posts that I didn't say at all.

Please read posts carefully before you jump to conclusions my friend. It will serve you and everyone better. ;)

Have you measured the Sonata panel lines against the Camry, Accord, Mazda6, BMW, and Mercedes yet? Get your dial caliper out and go measure! You may be shocked at what you find! :blush:
    Will the ALtima ever make it into a comparo again?

Who knows. I would like to think so, in 2007, when the Accord will be a lame duck. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Accord will lose to it, though; at least not in everyone's eyes. In a 2002 issue of Motor Trend, the old (98-02) Accord with only 200 hp beat out the Altima 3.5 SE and narrowly lost to the "new for 02" Camry SE V6. Well, we see how long Camry's reign (in the Mags, I mean) lasted! By 2008, time will be on Accord's side.
    That two of Edmunds' senior editors would choose the Sonata over the two higher-ranked cars shows that price does play a major factor in buying decisions in this class. A few points better? Yes. But at what cost? At some point, a car crosses the magic bar that meets a driver's needs. Making a car that leaps two feet over the bar is a great achievement, but ultimately it shows up in the scorebook as crossing the bar.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

family sedans or not, people routinely cross shop between cars... who is to say that a camry/accord/sonata/fusion shopper wont look at the azera, or the maxima, or five hundred

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Exactly! When shopping for my new car, I narrowed my choices down to the Sonata and the Miata. :P

All seriousness aside, I think Edmunds was comparing mom cars. The Mazda6 does not fall exactly into that category.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    That two of Edmunds' senior editors would choose the Sonata over the two higher-ranked cars shows that price does play a major factor in buying decisions in this class. A few points better? Yes. But at what cost? At some point, a car crosses the magic bar that meets a driver's needs. Making a car that leaps two feet over the bar is a great achievement, but ultimately it shows up in the scorebook as crossing the bar.

Well said!

One comparison that I would like to see instead of these top of line or same price point comparisons (which really don't compare apples to apples ever!) is one in which Edmunds or C&D or MT test all these mid-size "family" sedans in the versions that are the most popular (ie best-selling)in each line. If that means comparing a Sonata GLS V6 vs an Accord LX I4 vs a Camry I4 LE (or whichever model is the most popular), then let's see that type of test if that is what the car buying public says is the preferred/best version within a model lineup.

Probably will never happen. :(
This discussion has been closed.