Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I agree with your basic agenda here; I personally hope Sonata proves itself to be very reliable, and holds its price down. This will certainly help make my buying experience better next time around, because of increased competition. The only problem will hopefully be diciding between the great choices!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If the price difference is $1,000 or so, you'll probably follow brand loyalty based upon your good experience. Nothing wrong with that! If, however, the price difference is $3 or 4 thousand, you might try the Sonata.

Competition is good for the consumer. Supposedly Hyundai's reliability has improved in the last 5 or 6 years. If they keep it up and and keep the price relatively low, that will help keep the price down on the Honda & Toyota as more people become willing to consider the Sonata.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Right on.

I have a '07 Camry XLE (leather, heated seats, TC/VSC, floor mats) I bought because I wanted the XLE features, a 4 cyl. and I will keep it for 5-6 years.

I bought my sister a '06 Sonata LX with sunroof & 6 CD radio because she was concerned about intial $$$$ and wanted the better warranty as she will keep the car for 10 years.

The Sonata LX V6 was $4,300 less (with a $2,000 rebate) than my Camry XLE I4 cost (with a great deal).

I wouldn't have considered a previous model Camry or Sonata for either of us.

Both vehicles perform well.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Ahhh, ahh, ahhhh, Everyday people!

I sense your Toyota bias in your reciting their old commercials!

LOL, j/k...great song though.
  • lxcanlxcan Member Posts: 14
    I find most of these posts entertaining. The savvy consumer today will make choices based on Reputation and Reliability, Reviews and Ratings, Safety, Resale or Residual Values, Price, Comfort, Style and Performance (in no particular order) among other things. Therefore, before bashing one car or another, the smart shopper would consider the following:
    - Is the reputation of BrandX good, bad, improving, getting worse?
    - How is the reliability of the BrandX's car? Is it above or below the industry standard?
    - What are the auto journalists and consumers saying about the car?
    - Does the car have the safety and convenience features the shopper wants/needs etc.

For all the posters that write about the "ugly dash" of the Sonata; one question - how much time do you spend staring at your radio and HVAC system? In fact how many hours do you spend in your car daily, weekly, monthly? Good drivers spend most of their time behind the wheel looking at the ROAD.

The truth is, for most of us a car is a necessity. And yes, the choices are numerous. Is the Sonata the best car money can buy? Of course not. There are at least 25 models that cost less and 25 that cost more. We all have different needs and varying budgets. I could have gotten a more expensive car, but for what? Remember folks, a daily driver is not an investment.

As far as value for your money is concerned, it wouldn't kill you nay-sayers to at least give Hyundai a serious look. I'm glad I did.

Disclaimer: I do not work for or have not in the past been employed by Hyundai Motor Corporarion or any business acting on their behalf.
    For all the posters that write about the "ugly dash" of the Sonata; one question - how much time do you spend staring at your radio and HVAC system? In fact how many hours do you spend in your car daily, weekly, monthly?

A lot more time than I do looking at the OUTSIDE of the car, which wasn't a huge selling point for me on any car. From the design standpoint, I'd make a quick judgement of car like/dislike based on the inside rather than outside. Of course, no car judgement (whether you like it or not) can be aptly made in a flash.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    they have lost alot of drivers to the sonata, and even with the new camry, this trend shouldn't stop.

If there is such an award in the auto industry this car is the rookie and the most improved car of the year

I don't even think hondayota fans can deny that
    I wouldn't dispute it, mainly because it jumped a threshold of car design (not a bad thing). Hyundai did with its Sonata what Nissan did with its Altima back in 2002. Remember, everyone thought the Camcord was toast then that came out, and it DID fare nicely in the market, but it didn't dominate like many thought it would (based on room and horsepower). Hyundai's jump into the mainstream large-midsize market has made a big splash, no doubt. It certainly jumped ahead of cars such as the Sebring/Stratus, which were pretty equal in stats to the old Sonata. It's in the big leagues now, and even if it doesn't win the world series (be the number one seller), going to play-offs (being comparable to CamCord on many levels)is something to be proud of.

Sorry about that post, I'm awfully metaphorically-inclined today.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    People would ignore that a Camry doesn't have a styling edge and a long history of bullet proof reliability.

Well, I would really like to ignore the fact that the Camry doesn't have a styling edge, but it kind of hits you in the face, or its face, if you know what I mean. :)
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Well, I would really like to ignore the fact that the Camry doesn't have a styling edge, but it kind of hits you in the face, or its face, if you know what I mean.

I love the rear styling, but if you stare at the front, a weird smiling face jumps out at you. :D
    I love the inside of the Camry, just can't get over the bumpy nose. At least the back is nice, which, with 268 hp, will be the view I see most in my 166 hp I-4 Accord!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Styling is entirely subjective. While you might not like the way a vehicle presents, there is no need to denigrate it. Saying it's not appealing to you is sufficient.

Others are just as entitled to their opinions as you are, differing though they may be.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Styling is subjective, but come on Mr Moderator Man, there is common ground, even on styling. Most folk, as well as automotive press, find the Nissan Altima and Mazda 6 to be very nicely styled. The Accord and Camry are known to be kind of bland. Just like the Merc CLS, all style, no praticality.

Anywho, I love design and style. I check out the design first both inside and out. Then driving has a lot to do with it, so I drive the car. I research cars for fun so I already know what the pricing is and what features are there. If all the planets line up, its a deal. I just can't drive something that doesn't look right. That is a big factor. Like the Subaru Tribecca. It just doesn't do it for me.

The Sonata is the best value in the midsize market but that doesn't mean it is the best car.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The Sonata is the best value in the midsize market but that doesn't mean it is the best car.

Exactly.
    It's an excellent vehicle, and is definetly the best value. But value came at a price. I felt it lacked the premium feel/look some of its competitors have- inside.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    My point is that if any given vehicle is the most beautiful vehicle in the world to someone, that someone is entitled to that opinion, regardless of how many other posters think it is a design they'd never consider.

Opinions are not wrong, nor are they right. They just are what they are - it's sorta like the weather - it just is what it is regardless of what anyone wants it to be.

All I'm saying is that it is possible to state that the styling of car xyz does not suit me without denigrating the car and without insulting someone who might hold a different opinion than you do. And that's what we need to do here.

Everyone's needs, priorities and wishes/opinions are unique. If they weren't, we'd only need one style of car in the world. ;)
    I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head, it just doesn't have that premium look or feel to it. I think it is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I think that is good in the market because that will enable the car to go up against the percentage of the Camcord following that focus on value. The niche players like myself won't lose sleep over it because it can't really compete with a Mazda6, or Legacy, or Passat because those are all niche players. It's like the old Jetta following. You could tell them that there are cars out there that are a better value, and better at this or that. They might agree but to pry that Jetta out of their driveway, even after the tenth breakdown, was basically impossible.
    Pat, with that I must agree. There are so manyu different offerings and so many different people. There is no one best car. There may be on best car all around. I'd say that is the Honda Accord in a heartneat. Performance, price, quality, reliability. That car is ying and yang, that's equilibrium right there in the flesh, I mean metal,... well good quality plastic. You get the picture.
    Performance - Camry, Altima.
    Price - Sonata; Fusion and Mazda6 also good buys pricewise with current incentives.
    Quality - Accord, Camry; Sonata, Fusion, Mazda6, Altima not far behind.
    Reliability - Accord and Camry.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Camry sales leader but ...
    they have lost alot of drivers to the sonata, and even with the new camry, this trend shouldn't stop.

I have no problem with advocating the merits of the sonata but silly statements without proof other than you own opinion make you look foolish. The vehicle is fine. But what precise proof do you have for your opinion?

Remember a significant part of sonata's 'rookie' sales are going to fleets, it's probably double the percentage of the old Camry model. That's not something to be real proud about.

The fact that they have to 'buy' the new customers with huge discounts wouldnt make me proud either. It's embarrassing really.

"We have a world class vehicle but no one will buy it. Please come in and we will give you what ever you want. Just please come in to see us. Please."

You seem very proud of your country's accomplishment. I wouldn't be so proud about how it's being marketed though. But that's my own opinion. ;)
    You're right on, but I think Sonata's reliabliity is in the same ballpark as A&C. Time will tell. But you left out styling, a very important category. Many people buy cars primarily for their styling. But I guess that's off limits to discuss now. That's too bad, because many people are influenced more by the opinion of others than their own. I'm lukewarm on my own new car's styling, but many others like it. Since I have no taste, who am I to argue? :D
    I used those four criteria because I was replying to a post from driverdm. Styling is subjective, but important to many buyers. Me, I could live with almost all the current mid-sized cars as far as styling goes, although the Fusion's grille turns me off as does the styling of the Malibu.

As for reliability, the Sonata's reliability is not an issue for me, but cars like the Accord and Camry have a much longer record of strong reliability than the Sonata and most other mid-sizers, so I give them the edge there.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    "It amazes me, the Sonata haters on this board," says scape2.

the funny thing is that most of us who are not sonata fanatics have stated that the sonata is a good car and deserves much of the kudos it has gotten. but like in a white house press conference, if there is a slight disagreement with the point you're trying to make, you turn that into us hating the sonata. i mean it's like we're criticizing your kids...it's a car. and it's not like any one car is everyone's ideal version of transportation. nothing is perfect, and if all you do is defend every characteristic of your car...that doesn't seem to be honest nor healthy. maybe we can all start a more civil discussion by saying one thing we don't like about our current car :surprise: I know, I know, it'll be hard. but let me start. the fabric on my 05 mazda 6 is wearing a bit fast and is starting to look like cat fur on the side bolster next to the door. if you sonata fanatics can say something that you don't like about your car, you'll instantly have more credibility.
    Go take a run through the Sonata 2006+ discussion, or the Problems & Solutions discussion, and you'll see lots of posts about what Sonata owners don't like about their cars. My favorite (un-favorite?) is one of the worst manual driver's seat height adjusters in its class.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The sales stats posted early: some people specifically pointed out where the Sonata is (for reasons I don't even want to recycle now). Just so you guys are in the know, Hyundai has sold 40K+ (at least) Sonatas through March - easily place the model top 15 overall; top 10 in cars; top 5 in midsize.
  • analyzerlxanalyzerlx Member Posts: 23
    Hyundai/Kia will soon be seen as more of a viable competitor to the Honda and Toyota crowd, soon being at least 3-5 years. In today's market the people buying new cars are the ones that can afford it, primarily older folks. That's why you see younger folks in their teens and 20s buying used Japanese or getting hand-me-downs from Mom and Dad. I am 27 and I can honestly say that the mainstream of my era would rather have a foreign car- period! Reliablity is part of the reason and styling is another, for people like me- it's also price. I like the Japanese and the Korean made cars. I have seen Japanese makers getting lazy or complacent, but IMO the Koreans are hungry to eat a chunk out of the Japanese share of the market. I like my '04 Kia Optima and my '06 Toyota Sienna. I'd by an Accord or Camry as long as they were sold at around the same price of the Optima or Sonata. Come on people- not everyone makes over 30 grand a year and not everyone has good credit, so get off of your high-horse and mingle with real people.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "Performance - Camry, Altima."

By "performance", do you mean just acceleration?

Performance to me is a combination of handling and power, and I'd take the Accord over the Camry any day of the week, even though the Camry has more power.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I will admit my 03EXV6 Accord is not the sexiest car in the world (not a Porsche). If you're buying an Accord for the looks, you're missing the point of the car. "Beauty" is only sheet metal deep, "Quality" is down to the chassis. Form follows function. The way the car drives, makes it beautiful, to me. I think the only mid-size car that looks good, is the Mazda6. But the 6 is a little small for me. I made the mistake of buying a 97 truck because it looked great. That's about the only thing it was good at. I hated the actual driving part. Won't make that mistake again.
    Does anyone know why Hyundai hasn't offered a navigation system in the Sonata (or any other Hyundai for that matter) in the U.S. yet?

Hyundai has offered Navi in Korea for about 8 years now, I think.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is braking included in performance? I've never read that the Camrys have started smoking and faded into oblivion after a couple of repeated hard stops as did the Accord's in the recent edmunds.com comparo.... and do your comments apply to the SE versions of the Camry...

~alpha
    Yeah, I'd say braking is part of performance. The Accord is not known for great stopping power, but one Edmunds comparo does not prove that the Accord's brakes are pure crap.

And yes, they do apply to the SE versions of the Camry, because since that is the most sporty Camry, I'd pit that against the most sporty Accord, the V6 6 speed. And the Accord V6 6-speed is about twice as fun to drive than the Camry SE.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    They're not pure crap, but I've never read anything very positive about them.

And in comparing models, why not keep as many constants as possible... how bout Accord EX V6 auto vs. Camry SE V6 auto?

~alpha
    The EX V6 counterpart is the XLE V6, just like the LX counterpart is the LE.

The SE V6 is the Camry's "sport" version, and the EX V6 6-speed is the Accord's "sport" version. Both are low volume and are designed to cater to buyers who want to maximize sport in these otherwise mundane family vehicles.

But if you really want to compare the EX V6 auto v. SE V6 auto, I'd still give the nod to the Accord in terms of overall performance, although it's pretty close.

The SE is definitely more sporty than the XLE, but the steering still feels too overboosted, and the Accord's road feel is still superior. Of course, you pay a price for that road feel in the Accord, because it can get quite noisy and jolty sometimes.
    If braking is considered, that would put the Sonata up top in performance based on testing by C/D, MT, CR etc.

If handling is considered, I'd put the Mazda6 up top, based on the cars I've driven. I haven't driven the new Camry yet. The Accord has fine handling also.
    I have wondered the same thing, actually. I would think the main reason to not offer NAV initially is to keep the cost down (when passing onto the consumers). I tend to think this is a great move (for now), since Hyundai is still building a good brand image in the US.

Certainly it will not be hard (at all) for Hyundai to offer NAVs as options (as you mentioned - they've had them for quite some time in both its home market and other markets). But rather, it looks as if Hyundai has been percisely pinpointing to mature in the US market, in terms of current stage, calling for the focus on safety/value/quality/reliability; at least more so than other factors involved.

I will say, Hyundai has done a terrific job in their efforts to expand in the US (and NA). Kudos for the mass improvement, customer focus, and making cars at a great value and bang for the buck!!

Prediction: I would say the first US model to equip with NAV (factory) - either be the Azera or the upcoming RWD luxury sedan, maybe the Sonata...As for the availability of NAVs, I believe they can be installed at your local dealer :)
    I'd fully agree.

Braking - Sonata (those standard safety equipment help a lot).

Handling - Mazda6 (hands down); although most other cars are not far behind.
    from auto week:link title

The Fusion tackled our tight little slalom with aplomb, where we found it extremely easy to drive quickly through the cones even though the driver has no control over gear selection. As long as we kept some throttle on to avoid scrubbing off too much speed, the tires responded quickly enough. “Surprising for a car in this price class,” commented one tester. “I’m able to put it pretty much exactly where I want it, even when I’m getting on the throttle. I’d say it has outstanding slalom handling.”

No small praise for a car that will mostly be confined to negotiating morning rush hours and jockeying for position in front of junior’s school. Consider that its slalom speed of 44.3 mph bests cars like the much more powerful Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG we tested in late 2004 (at 44.1 mph), while falling just shy of the smaller, zippier Volkswagen R32 we ran around the same time (at 44.5 mph), and “outstanding” might be understating it.

In a straight line the Fusion turned in a respectable—if average—performance. Its 3.0-liter 221-hp V6 just edges the best our long-term Hyundai Sonata’s larger 3.3-liter V6 could deliver, both to 60 mph (7.5 seconds vs. 7.51) as well as through the quarter-mile (15.7 seconds at 91.2 mph vs. 15.76 at 89.4).

If the Fusion demonstrates any particular weakness, we found it during our braking tests. The car exhibits little dive on braking—more evidence of its superior suspension—but stopping distances are on the long side, “what we used to consider ‘boring sedan distances’ a decade ago,” as one tester puts it. The 132 feet it consumed to come to a stop from 60 mph matches—of all things—the last F-150 pickup truck we tested, with the Sonata needing a tad less room, at 129 feet.
    They weren't trying very hard. C/D did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds with the Sonata and the 1/4 mile in 15.3 @ 93. Interestingly, AutoWeek and C/D got very similar straight-line results for the Fusion: C/D got 0-60 in 7.4 and 1/4 mile in 15.7 @ 91. C/D's braking was consistent with AutoWeek's tests also (in 70-0 tests)--Sonata topped the Fusion, and also the Accord, and prior-gen Camry.
    "They weren't trying very hard."

I would think so. Almost every review on the Sonata has 0-60 rated either in the high 6s or low 7s. And braking numbers, of course, ranked at the top of the class.
    fairly old article (i think i first read this a year and a half ago), but on cars that have stayed pretty much the same. also cars at these levels are not tested very often...

from automobile magazine :

link title
  • blackblack Member Posts: 9
    I just got one and feeling frustrated.
    I feel every crack and bumps on the road.

Has Honda made Accord perform poorley when it drive?
    I used to drive an older Accord and did not seem to find tihs problem.
    Car and Driver for the Hyundai Sonata: probably a different issue from the one you were quoting, but the same magazine can have different results with the same car. Many factors influence these #'s: temp, track grip level, wind...to say that a mag is not trying very hard implies a conspiracy. if that's your position, cool. but i really don't think that it's in a magazine's interest to cook #'s.

C/D TEST RESULTS
    ACCELERATION: Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph: 2.4
    40 mph: 3.7
    50 mph: 5.3
    60 mph: 7.0
    70 mph: 9.3
    80 mph: 11.9
    90 mph: 14.9
    100 mph: 19.3
    110 mph: 24.8
    120 mph: 31.9
    130 mph: 43.7
    Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.3
    Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 6.0
    50-70 mph: 5.1
    Standing 1/4-mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph
    Top speed (drag limited): 137 mph

BRAKING
    70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 191 ft

from car and driver: here's the link link title
    Mazda 6 has the best handling and steering feel, almost as good as the bmw, accord is nowhere near this level(maybe tsx)

The accord has no chance in this department as well as for braking. But it does have one of the best engines and interiors.

The camry has what performance? is this a joke? just giving it a huge powered engine does not mean its performance is good. Then all those american classics that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds but no handling are legit performance cars? yea rite

The camry wants to be nothing more than be a reliable, comfortable car, thats how toyota wanted to design it, lets not go overboard by hyping it up for being what its not
    Well, you're right zzzoom6. No car is perfect, and it's only a car. So I'll list everything here I don't like about my Sonata:

Now that that's over with, I will say I don't mind "reviews" or "critiques" of my car. In fact, I agree with some of the criticism. However, it amuses me when unknowing people imply the Sonata is not a worthy competitor in the mid size class. It amazes me that people can drop the better part of $30K on a mid-sized car without driving them all and making an unbiased, unemotional comparison. I guess some people have more money than brains.

Ps: I never would have thought the fabric seats in my Mazda would last 5 years. It lasted 11 years, and still looked great when I sold it.
    zzzoom6 you hit the nail on the head with that one. The seat fabric is atrocious. The new seat fabric in the 2006 Mazda 6 is much better but they changed the sytling and it doesn't look as nice as the older models. Can't wait until next year when the 08 model arrives. I would definitely consider purchasing a new one. I live next to this curvy street that I have to take everyday and everyday I take every corner with a smile on my face. I absolutely love that car.
    Bobad, you can't find one thing wrong with your Sonata? Are you serious? People find something wrong even with a BMW or Lexus, but your Sonata is impervious to fault?

Also, car buying for a large part is an emitonal decision. I have driven most of the offerings in the midsize sector but even I know some cars will never do such as the Malibu or the Suzuki. I drove a G6 coupe and decided that I didn't even need to drive the sedan. I have driven the Sonata and actually thought about buying one. Leaving the Mazda6 to a Sonata is a big jump driving wise. It is just not the same. The numbers can come in where the want but it is like comparing driving a Lexus to a BMW, the feel just is not there. And to be fair it shouldn't be. Sporty is Mazda's mission, value is Hyundai's. I think sites like Edmunds give people the ability to weed down there selection before they ever decide what is in their list of cars they want. Then they don't have to drive them all. If someone is big on styling and thinks the Sonata is kind of dull, they may as well save their time from test driving it and instead play Keno. :D
    Like i stated above the 6 is the class leader in handling and steering feel with also some good breaks. In addition to its sporty styling, i don't think much else is above class and it is quite pricey.

I think why the other user stated the sonata has no fault is because maybe this is bias opinion, but it really doesn't in a way. What does this car have any issues in regards to what it wants to be and a good mid size car shoudl be?? It is above average in all major areas for a mid size car(interior, exterior, quality, tightness, engine, brakes etc) with a digustingly low price for those things. What i have heard about this forum is nitpicking about this car or using some horrible excuse as past quality matter(already proven in my books with the last sonatas quality). In a way it has no fault , its a tight car.
    Bobad, you can't find one thing wrong with your Sonata? Are you serious? People find something wrong even with a BMW or Lexus, but your Sonata is impervious to fault?

Of course I can find things "wrong" with the Sonata. Most are embarrassingly trivial... hardly worth mentioning. The stereo's digital characters are stylized and have a "blocky" appearance. The seat belt warning bell is annoying. The seat bottoms are a tad short for my height. No stereo scan function on the steering wheel. :blush:

Truth be told, I wanted the Mazda6. But Mrs. bobad was not impressed. She didn't like the "rough ride" and "noise". (I call it a "sporty ride" and "cool exhaust note") But when I felt the impressive power of the Sonata V6, I thought it was a reasonable compromise. (sigh!)

The final clincher was the price, and the fact it is made in the USA,,, 2 things that are very close to my heart.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Don't forget about the poor driver's seat, the noisy cabin, LameO styling, weak gas mileage.....etc

But the plus side is that you get the fine Hyundai reputation to fall back on.

All cars have plusses and minuses.
    All cars have plusses and minuses.

So true! I named mine, now let's hear yours! ;)

I strongly disagree on the "noisy cabin". That simply isn't true. I found it equal to the 06 Camry and quieter than the Accord, Mazda, and Fusion. How about you?
This discussion has been closed.