Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
I thought it would be a good idea to compare the top 6 import mainstream sedans:

Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Nissan Altima
Hyundai Sonata
Volkswagen Passat
Mazda 6

Moderator, can you add this thread to the Altima, Passat, and Mazda 6 forums? Thanks.

This segment used to be dominated by the Camry and Accord. They're still the top dogs, but other cars, notably the Altima and the Sonata have made some strong gains in the last few years. The 2006 Sonata seems to have grown up to be a serious contender now. BTW, Sonata pricing was released today:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/04/19/043102.html

FWIW, my wife drives a 2004 Accord EX V6, and we think it is a great car.

Comments

• tanya2tanya2 Member Posts: 29
    A better comparison would be as follows: Camry, Accord, Maxima, Hyundai 350, Passat & Mazda 6. --------I do not think that the Sonata is on the same level as the Accord, Camry or Maxima! ------- Tanya
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    tanya2, on the contrary, the newer Sonatas are meant to compare with this class. Not to say it does, but it is meant to. The Hyundai 350 is meant to compete with Accord EX V6 and Toyota Avalon type cars. Base Accords and Camrys can't hold a candle to a Nissan Maxima either.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The all new 06 Sonata will have a 237 Hp V6 engine. That should give it a 0 to 60 time of no more than 7 seconds. Of course by then the 3.5L engine could find its way into the Camry giving it a 0 to 60 sprint in the mid 6 seconds. Mazda6 is still behind with its crappy Ford sourced duratec V6 engine. Mazda seriously need to ditch that engine.
  • spinzerospinzero Member Posts: 91
    Any reason that the comparo doesn't include my favorite midsize car? Namely,

Subaru Legacy

It might be a bit pricier than other japanese offerings, but still not nearly as overpriced as Passat. And I'm a firm believer that Legacy 2.5GT is the best performer among the pack.

BTW, I second that Mazda needs to ditch that crappy duratec V6. It's really slowing down an otherwise well engineered car. They either need to develop a new V6, or drop a small turbo 2.3 instead and call it european inspired.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    IMO, theres more to a vehicle than its performance, more to performance than acceleration, and more to acceleration than the 0-60. With the pricing recently announced, the Sonata looks to be an incredible entry for the features and dollar, just as with Hyundais of the past. However, unlike some Hyundais of the past, this model, if it rides and handles well, and is built to last, has the potential to be a segment leader.

The Duratec V6 in the Mazda isnt a bad engine at all, and its rev-happy nature is suited to that car's demeanor. This year, Ford added a 6 speed transmission which is said to have sharpened the performance of the vehicle. Although I havent yet driven one, I would like to, as the somewhat unimpressive transmission on the last V6 was one of the vehicles more serious flaws. Do people forget that Toyota is using the increasingly antique and fairly thirsty 210 horse 3.0L V6 that debuted in the Fall of 1991 as part of the Camry Gen 3 lineup? Theres an engine that needs to be ditched. (IMO, Toyota's new engine family 2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L... all derived from the 4.0L which showed up first in the 2003 4Runner.... should replace the current FWD/AWD V6s as soon as possible.)

For what its worth, Accord sales YTD are down 9% from the prior year, Altima sales are down 1.2% and Camry sales are up 3%. That said, Honda is spending an average of $750 per Accord in incentives, whereas Toyota is spending $1250, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article. I'd expect that the Altima and 6 have slightly higher spending than the Camry. As a point of reference, GM is stuffing over $3600 worth of incentives on every G6 sold. I'd say that given the age of the Altima and Camry (both in the 4th model year of 5 year cycles), they are doing quite well.

Among models in the 25-27K range, here is my preference order:
    Camry SE V6 (w/ Premium Pkg, VSC, Side Curtains)
    Accord EX V6
    Mazda 6 S Grand Touring
    Altima 3.5SE (w/ ABS&SAC pkg, Leather Sport Pkg)

Having not driven the Sonata yet, I'm not sure where it would fall, but I'd imagine near the top. That said, theres not a model that tweaks the Sonata for sporting intentions yet, so the above crowd may not be the best place where the NF might shine.

I agree that the Hyundai XG/Azera and Nissan Maxima do not belong in the same comparison circle as the others, and I dont think the new Passat does either. Like the Jetta, its price will be signifcantly inflated, and the incoming car is significantly larger than the old. Jrock, I think this was a great idea.

~alpha
    The problem with the Legacy is that the GT Limited exacts a premium of about 3-4 grand over the others mentioned here (when similarly equipped).

We love ours (a 2.5i Sedan 4EAT), but its not without flaws, and the AWD exacts a toll in efficiency and pricing.

~alpha
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Mazda6 is still behind with its crappy Ford sourced duratec V6 engine. Mazda seriously need to ditch that engine.

I second that Mazda needs to ditch that crappy duratec V6.

You guys haven't driven one. There is no way that you could drive the Mazda6s and think that the engine is "crappy". If you come back here and tell me that you have driven it, I'm going to call you a liar.

I don't even have the V6, I have the 2.3L with a manual, but I've driven the V6 a few times and it is not a crappy engine. It is smooth, sounds GREAT, and it the tach needle just loves to fly to redline. My parents have a Camry V6 and an Infiniti I35, so I have driven other good V6s to compare it to.

This year, Ford added a 6 speed transmission which is said to have sharpened the performance of the vehicle.

The 6 speed is an automatic, and it's Aisin, not Ford sourced. Aisin supplies Toyota with transmissions also.

FWIW, my favorites in this class are the Legacy, Mazda6, and the Altima with it's new interior.

The Accord sedan just looks nasty but I like everything else about it, the Camry looks too big and boring, the Passat is a VW and I would never buy a VW, and the jury in my head is out with the Hyundai. Just my opinion of course.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    The Accord could use better styling (and may get it with the 06 refresh) but everything else is great, especially the interior. We liked the Legacy but didn't feel like paying a premium for AWD. We rented a 05 Camry for a few days and didn't like the light steering. The poor reliability of the Passat & 6 kept them off our list.

The Altima wasn't bad but doesn't feel as refined as the Accord to us. Of course we didn't have a chance to take a test drive of the 06 Sonata which we plan to as soon as they arrive.
    These are just our opinions.
    Yes, I have testdriven Mazda6s, and while the car handled very nicely, I was quite unimpressed with the motor. The duratec is crappy because it is at best mediocre compared to its competitions.

Nissan Altima: 250HP / 249TQ 20/30
    Honda Accord: 240HP / 212TQ 21/30
    Subaru Legacy: 250HP / 250TQ 19/25

Mazda 6: 220HP / 192TQ 20/27

As you can see, Duratec makes the least amount of power, by far the least amount of torque, and still gets the lowest mileage among front drivers. As far as being "rev-happy" goes, Duratec wasn't too bad. But I suggest you drive the Legacy GT and feel how EJ25 revs up. Accord's V-TEC is also a nicely revving engine, and there isn't much needs for VQ35 to rev high, when you have that much torque all over the rev range. (and again, still gets better mileage.)

And no, being sportier than Camry is not much of a compliment.

I'm by no means bashing 6, it is my favorite FWD sedan on the market. Please take it as constructive criticism. Now, you can call me liar all you want.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I've owned (not just driven) 3 of the bunch, here is my spin:
    2000 Passat 1.8T: nice when new, a fussy piece of crap as it aged. Only runs well on premium, many problems including the infamous "oil sludge" issue even with fanatical maintenance. Would not recommend to an enemy.

2003 Accord Coupe 2.4L: Bought because I hated the looks of the sedan but wanted a Honda (3rd Accord) after owning the disaster above. Excellent in almost every category; 0 problems, 34 mpg hwy on 87 octane. Still excellent cars, but PLEASE fix the looks of the sedan!

2004 Mazda6S Hatchback: Bought for the fun, utility, and so as not to have to look at an Accord sedan in my driveway :P . Strong Points: Driving atttributes, overall build quality in terms of body "tightness", good looks. Weak Points: Gas mileage, road noise, some cheap interior/component parts (heater fan, for example), transmission (5 speed auto, hear '05 6 spd much better) not a great match for the motor. Overall: A more enjoyable car overall than the other two; if the reliability holds out, the better choice by far if you like to push a car to it's handling limits once in a while, and with the hatch- if you need to load a bunch of bulky stuff in it once in a while.
    Of course, looks/body style are subjective- but reliablity is quantifiablle and some cars are just not.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Owning a 2004 Passat has been a great experience so far (fingers crossed), but from reading these posts, VW has allot of work to do to fix the perception (reality) as far as reliability is concerned. It really is a shame, because they do build great driving cars. Maybe the new Passat will be a big step forward in reliability.

Has everyone forgot about the Mitsubishi Galant(do they even make those anymore) ;) ?
    Yes, I have testdriven Mazda6s, and while the car handled very nicely, I was quite unimpressed with the motor. The duratec is crappy because it is at best mediocre compared to its competitions.

Nissan Altima: 250HP / 249TQ 20/30
    Honda Accord: 240HP / 212TQ 21/30
    Subaru Legacy: 250HP / 250TQ 19/25

Mazda 6: 220HP / 192TQ 20/27

The only engine that really stands out there is the Honda.

As far as power is concerned, the Honda stands out, but the Nissan is a bigger engine and the Subaru has a turbo, so that's not a surprise. Your mileage numbers are off too.
    As far as power is concerned, the Honda stands out, but the Nissan is a bigger engine and the Subaru has a turbo, so that's not a surprise. Your mileage numbers are off too.

Well, no one is stopping Mazda from increasing the displacement, or slapping on a turbo. Do people cross shop only among midsize sedans with 3.0 N/A motor?

Plus there's a good reason as to why Nissan VQ-series engines have been constantly praised as one of the world's very best for many years. In my mind its performance and efficiency is no less impressive than somewhat gimmicky Honda V-TEC.
    I just checked the mileage stats again, and the Altima automatic gets better mileage than the manual. Wow. That's pretty impressive.

Anyway, I like the VQ. Like I said, my parents own an I35, and I've driven it quite a few times.

I just don't agree that the V6 in the Mazda6 is "crappy". The others are more efficient and powerful, but that doesn't make the duratec "crappy". It's a really nice V6 and it's smoooooth. It's even smoother than the VQ in the I35.

Also, Mazda did slap on a turbo, but on the 4cyl. It's the Mazdaspeed6. It's a couple grand more than the Subaru turbo, but the Subaru turbo is a couple grand more than the Altima, Accord, and Mazda6s. It's going to have AWD, 274 hp, 280 lbs-ft of torque, but the ride might be too sporty for some folks.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The only engine that really stands out there is the Honda

Why? It has neither top HP or TQ and gets the same mileage as the Nissan. Why does the Honda engine stand out?
    Because it gets the same job done as the VQ with less displacement and it's a smoother engine. Regardless of the hp and torque numbers, the acceleration numbers for the automatic Altima and Accord are very similar. I think a few mags have the auto Accord actually being quicker.

But anyway, I don't want to get in the middle of an Altima and Accord pissing match. I'd take the Altima over the Accord just because it looks better.
    Spinzero- which transmission did you test in your said Mazda 6 drive? The new 6A makes a world of difference vs. the old automatic, from what I've read.

~alpha
    Yup, I agree the new Mazdaspeed6 will be very hot. I'm not a big fan of the bulging hood, but it's got a very nice direct injection turbo motor, along with AWD.(albeit a heavily FWD based one) It should be a good choice for people that are looking for something inbetween Legacy GT and STi / Evo. Now if they can just detune that engine a little and put it on Mazda 6 s like what Subaru did with their STi EJ25 -> LGT, it'll be even better.

This is such an exciting time to shop for a car!
    Now if they can just detune that engine a little and put it on Mazda 6 s like what Subaru did with their STi EJ25 -> LGT, it'll be even better.

That sounds like a good idea. Detune it a little, and offer it in a model that doesn't have 18 inch wheels and a stiff ride. It'd sure be different than the Accord and Altima then. I wonder if the turbo 4 is a more expensive engine to build than the V6 though? I'd bet it is.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Altima & Accord both have similar on 0-60 time. However, VQ has more low-end torque. For instance, try a 0-60 time trial with under 3000rpm and see who is gonna win!
    I don't know how you'd do that with an automatic. Besides, who cares? Both of them are pretty darn quick for family sedans.
    According to another website, the 2006 Accord will get a 10hp increase for both engines.
    170hp 2.4 / 250hp 3.0
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    How about replacing the Passat and Sonata with the Legacy and Galant in this discussion? Just rename it the Midsize Domestic Sedans Comparison Thread.
    Why replace the Sonata :confuse:
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    2006 Hyundai Sonata Manufacturer Suggested Retail Pricing:

Sonata GL 4-cyl, 5-speed manual $17,895
    Sonata GL 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $18,795
    Sonata GLS 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $19,395
    Sonata GLS 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $20,895
    Sonata LX 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $22,895

Destination charge (not included in above): $600

Options:

Sunroof: $850

Sonata GLS (2.4L 4-cylinder engine): Premium Package: Power sunroof; 8-way power driver seat; auto-dimming inside mirror with integrated HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and digital compass - $1,350

Sonata GLS (3.3L V6 engine): Premium Sport Package: 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R17 Michelin® tires; power sunroof; 8-way power driver seat; auto-dimming inside mirror with integrated HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and digital compass - $1,500

Sonata LX: Sunroof & Audio Package: Power sunroof; premium AM/FM audio system with MP3-compatible in-dash 6-disc CD changer and 6 speakers plus subwoofer and external amplifier - $1,400
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    And also why replace the Passat........plus, if you are going to add the Legacy and the Galant in with the Accord, Altima, et al, why are you going to call it "Midsized Domestic Sedans Comparison"?

I have an '05 Passat GLS TDI, it replaced an '02 Galant ESV6. I love the Passat, it rides great, handles pretty darn good and the fuel mileage rocks (now averaging 37mpg in mixed driving). And, yes, alpha there is more to performance than acceleration and 0-60 times. The Passat might only have 134HP, but 247TQ helps it get out into traffic with ease and it really shines at 30-60mph. Besides, I don't drag race this car.......I drive my family around in it. For me, performance means getting the maximum mileage out of each tank of fuel....and handle good while doing so.

I can't say I miss the Galant too much, the Passat is a much nicer car than the Galant was (and I chose the Passat over an Accord-Hybrid). There is my $0.02

So really it just depends on what it is that everyone is looking for in a car......we can debate this 'til the cows come home and still not get anywhere..... :)

-PR-

03 Ford F350 SuperCrew KingRanch 6.0L Powerstroke
    04 VW Jetta GLS TDI
    05 VW Passat GLS TDI
    why do i get the feeling you are a diesel fanatic. :P
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    What's a diesel? ;)

Okay, I guess I'm busted....I guess you can consider me a diesel fanatic :blush:
    Well nothing wrong with that. Honda and Toyota does offer diesel engine for the European market. The Euro Accord with the 2.2L diesel engine have gotten rave reviews. But for some reason the North American market doesn't seem very receptive to diesel technology even though today's diesel engines are vastly superior to what we had 15 years ago.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The lack of diesel powered vehicles here in the states is more to do with the dirty diesel fuel here in the states than it is with people not being receptive. The emissions controls that are required on diesel cars here in the US make it difficult to successfully market them here. The feds have implemented a law that is supposed to clean up the diesel fuel but big oil is so entrenched in Washington politics that I am not confident that the required changes will make it into production of cleaner diesel fuels. :cry:
    Diesels are and have been huge in Europe for years, and VW does make a darn good diesel motor. If it had been available in the Passat in 2000, I would have bought one (which means I might well still be driving it today); instead I got the miserable 1.8T! :lemon:
    The Sonata GLS V6 looks like a bargain if they can keep the MSRP below 21K. The new Sonata could really give the Camry and Accord a run for their money.
    The Sonata GLS V6 has an MSRP of $21,495 including destination charge. As a comparison point, a Camry LE 4 cylinder having most of the features of the Sonata, except three biggies- the V6 engine, the stability control, and the 16 inch alloys.... stickers for $21,501 (thats a Camry LE 4 cylinder+floormats+side curtain airbags+5A, a very common set-up here in Toyota's greater NY region).

~alpha
    Hundai's have come a long way, but MSRP & features are only half the story- unless one drives their car into the ground (many years & miles), you still take a bath on the resale value. Not because they are bad cars, but the perception still exists, especially at the auction houses. Check any used car listings for 4 yr. old Hundai's, they drop like a rocket.
    Time may change that perception, but right now for the average buyer thats trades every 3-4 years, Hundai is not a serious contender all things considered.
    True. But if Hyundai earns a good perception, do you think they will still offer their cars for thousands less than the competitors? They will have no reason to.

I don't think Hyundai was such a bargain until few years ago, you pretty much got what you paid for. And if everything works out for Hyundai, then they'll become just like Honda/Toyota and again you'll get what you pay for.

As their quality improves and yet their reputation lags behind, that's when you get a bargain. True, resale will still suffer, but like you said yourself if you keep your car for 6~7 years, the difference won't be that huge anyway. Therefore I think Hyundai will offer a great chance to beat the market for informed shoppers for at least few more years.
    would be today if they had never shipped the Excel to these shores ?
    Hyuandai also has 10/100K powertrain warranty unlike the competition. I look at resale value like this; you buy a car that suits your needs and not what the resale value is 4-5 years down the road. Remember, Honda and Toyotas higher resale value is somewhat negated by their higher MSRP to begin with. So I think if you compare Hyuandai's lower MSRP to Toy/Hondas higher resale value I think you break about even, don't you? And, if you keep the car longer than 5 years ( i typically keep my cars for at least 8) the difference in resale value would be even less of a factor. If people's perception of Hyuandai steadily improves as their quality improves resale value should go up also.
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    The problem with the Hyundai Sonata, IMO, is safety. If someone creams your Sonata, you're toast. You'll have a much better chance of walking away if you're in a Passat, Accord, or new Camry or Jetta.

I base that on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a non-profit whose crash tests are considered the most accurate around. They give four rankings for crash tests: Poor, Marginal, Acceptable, and Good. The Camry, Accord, and Passat are all "Good' in both front and side collisions; the Sonata is merely "Acceptable" for front collisions and is "Poor" for side collisions. (The Camry, btw, has improved- it wasn't so good from the side until 2004, according to the Institute--then Toyota beefed it up.) You can see much of this for yourself at:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summaries/midinexp_overall_c.htm

Then there are the features. According to a lot of researchers, two safety features make a big difference: head-curtain airbags (which reduce fatalities and serious injuries by 45%) and electronic skid control (studies not only by VW and Toyota but by the independent National Advanced Driving Simulator found that this reduces the likelihood of your getting into an accident by more than 30%). These features are standard on the Passat and new Jetta; they are available as options on the Camry and Corolla. Accord offers the head-curtain bags, and will make stability control standard starting in 2006. But the Hyundai? Neither is available at any level so far.

As for real-world performance, the latest study is only through 2002. The VW Passat was way out ahead back then:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summaries/midinexp_overall_c.htm

But since then, the Accord has had a major redesign that improved its crashworthiness greatly, and the Camry has improved a lot too. Hyundai - as far as I know, no progress yet.

How important is safety is to you? --that's a personal choice. But if safety does matter to you, the Sonata has a problem. I realize that a redesign is coming next year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's improved in the safety department. But not yet.
    How important is safety is to you? --that's a personal choice. But if safety does matter to you, the Sonata has a problem. I realize that a redesign is coming next year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's improved in the safety department. But not yet.

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata is coming next month, not next year and it will offer stability control as well as six airbags standard. It should do better than the current model in the IIHS tests. I'm sure Honda and Toyota will follow Hyundai's lead by making these safety features standard on the Accord & Camry.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Honda has already announced that side bags and curtains and ABS will be standards across all models in the U.S. by the end of 2006, but did not include ESC in that list. The Accord has standard SABs and SACs (and ABS) now.
    ..and informed, thanks. Good news about the the '06 Sonata (news to me, that is); as for the Accord, will ESC be an option?

I actually got a Passat in '03 instead of the then-new Accord because I wanted skid-control and head-airbags; it came down to Passat vs. Camry and I was drawn to the Passat - preferred its handling and seats. (So far, at 30K miles, it's held up fine.) Next time (hopefully a long way off) who knows. I'll for sure check out the Sonata.
    yep, the new Sonata should be at dealers soon.

http://www.hyundaisonata.com/

I've read that VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) will be available for the MY2006 Accord (at least for the EX). A few other features are possible such as LED taillights according to some unconfirmed reports along with a refreshed front/rear.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    60s yes - 70s no. the German Opel, Toyota, Honda, Datsun (Nissan) were by about '74 or '75 already producing cars superior to what F/GM/C was doing. Something that 'Detroit' has never recovered from.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Wow... that car looks like an Accord from the back. Might look a little better than the Accord. The front is a little Lexus IS300. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. I corss shopped the Sonata when I was in the market in 03. The car was quite a deal, but I just liked it alot more from a distance than up close. The test drive left me cold even with a V6 model. I ended up with an Altima 2.5 S.
    This thread has got me interested in the 2006 Sonata redesign. Which brings up an eternal question: should one buy the first model year of any car? Or wait until it's had a few cycles to work out the bugs?

True, Hyundai has the best warranty I know of. Maybe that takes care of this concern. Or not. What do you think?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    FWIW, I bought a new 2005 Hyundai Tucson (a 1st year model) back in November and I have not had a lick of problems with it. While there are always going to be some concerns with any first year model, the problem is not anywhere near as bad as it used to be 10-20 years or more ago. I also owned a 2001 PT Cruiser (another 1st year model purchase) and again, no problems to speak of. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I bought one of the first '01 Elantras, a redesign, to hit the U.S. in 2000. I've had good luck with it, no major problems. But an added element for the Sonata is that it's being made in a brand-new factory, by people who have never made a car before (at least most of them). Hyundai has reportedly gone to great lengths to ensure the quality of this car, but a new car from a new factory does give something to consider. The engines on the Sonata are new also. Note that the 4-cylinder cars are being shipped from Korea, where they have been making the new Sonata since last fall.

In my life I've bought four cars in the first year of their design. The others were two Toyotas and a Honda, all in the 80s. I had few problems with any of them, including the Elantra. All that being said, I don't know if I would be brave enough to be the first one on my block with a '06 Sonata, especially the V6.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Hyundai has certainly made some serious strides in quality as of late...

I am sure the Sonata will be fine throughout its first model year
    I read somewhere that 4-cylinder versions will still be made in Korea, while V6 versions will be built in the new Alabama plant.

Assuming this is the case, I would wait for a while for V6 versions until the new crew gets used to the new factory, and for I4's I would just get one right away. It's been on sale in korea for over 6 months now.

Although I have to say at least in terms of MSRP, V6 gives you a way better deal compared to Camry and Accord.
  • ray hray h Member Posts: 120
    is, at best, merely a rough indicator of projected injury severity. In the real world, vehicle collisions are anything but controlled. (Once a big SUV tangles with an Accord, Altima, Camry, or Sonata, it's anyone's guess which car's occupants are maimed worse (or killed) once the last metallic tinkle has faded into silence. Since the insurance industry sponsors these tests in whole or part, guess who's really benefitting from the results - and don't say, "the car occupants". (Hint: it's a clever way for the insurance companies' underwriters to jack up premiums under the guise of standardized psuedo-protocols. Obviously, regardless which make "wins", owners of the "losers" will keep the underwriters happier - regardless who the following year's "winners" and "losers" are.)
This discussion has been closed.