Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC 5.3 vs. 4.8L V8

truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in GMC
Ok, any big difference between the 5.3L V8 and the
4.8L V8? I'm closing the deal on my truck
tomorrow and am curious why I'm choosing the 5.3L
V8? According to the specs in the GMC Book, the
4.8 gives 270 horsepower and the 5.3 gives 285.
Doesn't seem like that much of a difference. Do I
really need the larger engine? I dont plan on
towing anything, but you never know. Maybe in the
future tow a small boat, but would that make a
difference?

HELP! I don't know what to do.
(It's only $688 more money but, that's the $$ I
could use for my cover.)

Comments

• cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    will you ever tow? the 5.3 has LOADS more low end torque than the 4.8 does. the 5.3 is basically a very peppy engine from stop, while the 4.8 is not.

highway driving, you shouldn't notice too much difference, since the horsepower numbers are pretty close.

The 4.8 will get a little--not much, just a little--better mileage.

If you tow or haul heavy consistently, you will be very very thankful for the 5.3. otherwise, you probaby won't miss it too much
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Go with the 5.3

Your spending 30K on a truck anyways whats another $700???

Also reslae value will probabaly be higher on a 5.3 than a 4.8

Milage from what i have heard is negligible.

Ryan
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    I agree with Ryan. If it were me, I would go for the bigger V8. $700 is not much more in payment for what you are getting in a more capable and satisfying truck.

I think the 4.8 is still a great engine and has lots of power, especially when compared to the competition's specs. If you are only towing a light load, and you are not used to a bigger V8, you may never complain at all about the 4.8l. If you tow a lot, up hills, in high temp locations, etc., you owe it to yourself to consider the 5.3l.
    As CDean stated, you will see little difference, if any mpg advantage with the 4.8 anyway. Your only real higher cost is the initial $700. To me, when you consider tow ability, as well as resale value, which definitely will be better with the 5.3l, it is an easy decision.
  • rskrsk Member Posts: 38
    From what you stated you really don't require the 5.3L engine. I have drove trucks with both engines and you can't notice the difference. Yeah its only $700.00 for the larger engine or as I see it is $700.00 for a 6% increase in power. Its you money however and the final choice is up to you.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..the 4.8 will be useless towing....(at least if you want reserve power)...the 5.3 will hold up better....pass better..take off better..and MPG won't even be noticed.....you may not tow now...but the slightest load and you will be wishing you had got it..

if not....A.M.T.!

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for all the advise everyone. Ihave one question. Tim, help me out...what is A.M.T. I'm sure when you tell me (I'll have to blame my question on a blond moment!)

Thanks again
    I'll let you guys know on Monday what my final choices were. Thanks again

Once Again - Beer's on ME! Well, not ON me...hehehe

truckchic
    Ain't
    My
    Truck!

LOL

- Tim

Good Luck
    lost beer promises.....if I had a beer for every time someone here said "beer's on me"....I'd have a good size beer gut....DOHHH!...too late...

- Tim
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    That means they are going to drink one for you!!

Mike L
    ...I wanna drink it!...i don't need help in this area!

I'm getting scammed!

LOL

GRRRRRRRR

- Tim
    We are all gettting scammed. Everyone offers it but then when you hold em to that offer they back out WHY???

1 Month and 2 Days you all can send me some beer ok???

Ryan
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    both are close in size, power, mileage. $700 is a consideration. Of course you'll get more for a 5.3L, but you'll also pay more for it so it's probably a wash. Ford seems to sell more small V8's than GM does and it's the way it probably should be. I have the 5.3L, but wish I had the 4.8L for economy. Couldn't get the 4.8L with the LT package. Tell you what - get the 4.8L and give me a call and we'll swap engines - serious!
    I came up with a plan for someone to get a 2500 with the 6.0 and swap it into my 1500. Never found anyone to do that :(

Ryan
    ..wonder why?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and couldn't do the install....LOL
    yea dean. No I just got this plan to have the only 1500 Silverado with a 6.0 in it. Find someone that only wanted the 5.3 in a 2500 have em get the 6.0 and id trade em the 5.3 for the 6.0. Sounded good didnt it??? That plan died.

Ryan
    I wanted a 3/4 ton 4X4 with the 5.3L - wish I would have known sooner Ryan...
    already has the first and only 1500 6.0....

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    your parents bought you a nice truck and now
    you're unhappy with it. what's up with that?

Truckchic, the 5.3 is probably more motor than
    you'll ever need, but the one thing you can count
    on is that when you want it to go, and i mean go,
    it'll leave any 4.8 in the dust. i also agree
    with the others in that if you do decide to
    unload it, you'll get all your money back for the

...red
    Adds about $500 to retail value over a 4.8L. According to Kelly Blue Book.

So, it only costs a couple of hundred dollars and 1-2mpg for a little ego boosting power.

The 4.8L engine is enough for me.

Mike L
    a 502. Might have a little problem with the computer...so you might want to wait for an 8.1...

Should be a better hauler than the 6.0... BTW, 2wd 2500 has the 5.3 as an option.

Dean
    They didnt buy my truck i am very happy with it

Dean and Tim well if Big nose had the first 1500 6.0 im gonna have the first 1500 8.1 haha WOah to much power for me.

Ryan
    enough power eh?....what's the other truck you have?...

thought so...

- Tim
    a very good point. Even if I say so myself...LOL

Dean
    Didn't buy the 2500 for the 6.0L. The 4.8L in the lighter 1500 has about the same empty power to weight ratio as the 6.0L/2500 has. And they feel about the same, too. Both pull the hills and mountains in the same gears at the same speeds. That is with the 255hp a 99 4.8L has. A 2000 4.8L should be quicker than the 6.0L 2500. Certainly a 5.3L 1500 is quicker than either. But, it is a truck; if we wanted to go fast get a Camaro, or a motorcycle.

Actually, I would have liked to have a 2500 with the 5.3/5spd but it is not and never was avail. Dean, the 5.3/auto/2wd/2500 is no longer available either. They dropped the 7200lb 2500 for 2001.

Ryan, if you want to pay me $1200 for the 6.0L engine and do the swap, lets do it! Oh, you also have to change the axles to 4.10. Shouldn't cost more than another $1000 or so. Let's see, that's $2200 + the engine swap. Oh, you also have to come to California to do it.

Hmmmm, probably cheaper to buy the 6.0L engine from Shaun.

Later,

Mike L
    all she wants is an answer to her question right?
    i know, lets put it to a vote.

all in favor of the 5.3?
    all in favor of the 4.8?

i go with tim.....that's at least 2

anyone else

?
    yeah i know mom and pop did'nt buy the truck. i
    guess by now you're gettin' tired of hearin' it
    too.
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Thank you for that comment (#27) - that's true that's all I asked, but look at how much info I got! WOW!

Anyway...Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

Truckchic
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    had a 99 reg cab for about 5 months with 4.8 and 3.42 gears. Now have 5.3 ext cab with 3.42 gears. Like the torque of the 5.3 much better, especially since the darn trans torque converter locks up at about 40 mph. The 4.8 with a manual would probably be okay.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if you had 3.73 gears, it would have much better throttle response.

I hate the 3.42 gears. I owned them for 5 years, then drove a friends truck, with smaller engine and 3.73--his truck was quicker, and got better gas mileage.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I vote for the 5.3l w 3.73 rear end. Nice combination.

Peter

(dohh!)

LOL

- Tim
    That wasnt a choice
    4.8L w/3.73 or 4.11...
    the 5.3 won. see elsewhere on this site.
    the 6.0 would be awesome to have though. like tim

says, when you're having fun who cares about 1-2
    miles per gallon.

new trucks have been showing up with a new fuel
    mileage rating out here. was 16/20, and is now
    15/19 for the 5.3 and the 4.8. although not many
    dealers will even stock trucks with the 4.8.

...red
    the 4.8L appears to be a good engine. I was forced to the 5.3L with the LT package, but prefer the 4.8L - 1-2 mpg does make a difference. Fun is fun, but 95% of the time I don't drive for "fun."...
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.