Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The old Camry was class-leading in reputation for reliability, maybe tied with the Accord. In this market of family sedans, that and overall competence are enough for success.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Interior space. The old Camry was huge when it first came out, even bigger than the current gen.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I wonder if back in the old days, when the Camcords were much smaller than the US competition, if there was criticism of them for this...were they called cramped, did reviews say the back seat space was tight, etc.?

It is interesting to look at some of these old figures.
    Today's Corolla and Civic are about as big as the 1990 Camry and Accord.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    "Camry/Accord V6's better" how? by .6 -.8 seconds 0-60 depending on what review you want to believe? The 3.0 Duratec equipped with VVT is a proven engine. It has been around now for almost 10 years and has proven to be a longterm reliable engine. What do you mean??

This sounds like those in the GM crowds that keep touting GMs 3800 v6.

Yes the Duratec is reliable, but it's crude.
    I haven't driven a Fusion, but my wife has Ford 500 for a company car with the Duratec and I've driven the vvt version in a Mazda 6 which was far from impressive. Handling was first rate though. The 500 version is pitiful. No torque and sounds like a wounded dog when revved.

The Fusion maybe marginally slower than Accord v6, but the Accord v6 is far smoother. Ford needs the new 3.5 ASAP.

I think the Fusion is a fine car, but the 3.0 will keep me from buying one.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Duratec is crude in what way? It has dual overhead cams, VVT, 24valves per cylinder, aluminum block and heads. Its all on paper that makes it look crude. I am very pleased with the get up and go in my current Fusion. IF the 3.5 offers better or equal MPG to my present 27.4 average. I would consider trading it in for another Fusion..
    My toy..http://www.carspace.com/scape2
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Duratec is crude in what way? It has dual overhead cams, VVT, 24valves per cylinder, aluminum block and heads.

I don't find it to be smooth like competing v6s from Toy/hon/nissan. It's certainly better than any of Fords other OHV v6s, but it's not going to impress anyone that has driven an import.
    24valves per cylinder

I think you meant 4 valves per cylinder and 24 valves overall.
  • lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    What about the quality of your Fusion? Ford and GM are consistently behind Toyota and Honda in quality. Do you think that Fusion will help Ford close the gap?
    "Ford, put the 3.5 V6 in there and you'll have a winner. "

If Ford puts the new engine without raising the price and compromising fuel economy, I may consider it. But I will probably buy Mazda6 (I believe 6 offers the same engine with better styling and warranty). Still, I wonder if Ford has anything really convincing that will make me pick Fusion over Accord or Altima.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I have to check but I don't think 02-06 Camry interior volume of 101.8 cu. ft. is considered class leading :confuse:
    Not anytime soon at least. What incentives would buyers have to buy a Zephyr/MKZ if the 3.5 V6 was also offered on the Fusion. Even the luxury flagship MKS is expected to have the same 3.5. If anything, it'd be in the SVT version.
    Then please tell which other midsize sedan in 2002 has a bigger interior volume than 101.8 cubig ft?
    What incentives would buyers have to buy a Zephyr/MKZ if the 3.5 V6 was also offered on the Fusion.

That's not a valid excuse of not offering the 3.5 on Fusion.

Toyota uses the same 3.5 V6 on Camry, Avalon and ES350 and it definitely didn't hurt Avalon and ES350's sale numbers. Also, Nissan uses the same VQ on the Altima, Maxima and G with slightly different output adjustment and I don't see any problem there either. I think Ford should put a less powerful version of the 3.5 on Fusion and Milan so the MKZ could still hold the prestige.
    Taurus for one?
    Camry has actually taken sales away from the Avalon, since introduction; same for the Altima/Maxima. ES came out almost around the same time as the Camry so it's hard to say. Nissan will actually drop the new VQ engine in the G.

If everything holds true, and the Fusion does receive the 3.5, this would mean its entry level, all the way up to its luxury flagship will all have the same engine - something no other automakers utilize, most with V8s for its luxury flagship.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    gets the new VQ has well, which will be 80 percent revised from the VQ used in the current Altima and the 07 Maxima. Thus the reason the 07 Altima will make more hp than the 07 Maxima. The Maxima continues with the older Vq, the new Altima gets the heavily revised new Vq.
    Avalon sale numbers:

June: 6608
    July: 6757

Don't see how the new Camry has taken sales away from Avalon. Yes, Nissan is dropping the new VQ into the G but that engine will eventually replace all the current VQ under Nissan's lineup. As for why Ford's luxury flagship won't receive a V8 is totally beyond me.
    Not long ago, Avalon sold well in the 8K units(maybe even as high as 10K? - correct if mistaken)

The fall due in part (not in any order nor equal percentage splits):

1) Reliabilty issues
    2) Other new competitors - Lucerne, Azera
    3) Camry
    You would think so but it's not...
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Avalon sales YTD in 2006 thru July are 0.6% (600 vehicles) less than 7 months 2005.

Camry sales YTD in 206 thru July are 0.9% higher (800 units) higher than the 7 months in 2005.

Not even worth a discussion.
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with Camry taken sales away from Avalon (if it really does). The total sale numbers still counted toward Toyota. Second, Fusion won't be competitive with the current 3.0, period. Especially with the new Altima coming with 265 HP later this year and Accord coming next year (as '08 model?) with current TL's 3.2 V6. The last but not least, since many of Fusion's competiors are equiped with their manufacturer's best V6, why can't the Fusion? With the new 3.5, Ford has a real good chance to shut those Camcord loyalists up.
    LOL...There is no thinking about the Altima's redesigned engine...Nissan themselves tells you that the Altima's engine is redesigned. I think I'd believe them over you. While the Vq in the G will still be a slightly different version from the Vq in the new Altima, they both share basic architecture...and they both are basically new for 07.

Per Nissannews.com, here is what Nissan themselves say about the new Altima. As you'll notice they state the Altima's engine has been redesigned.

2007 Nissan Altima

The next generation 2007 Nissan Altima enters its fourth generation with a redesigned platform and available next-generation VQ-series V6 engine. Along with its distinctive new styling, the 2007 Altima utilizes the all-new Nissan “D” platform with improved body rigidity and a redesigned suspension – with the development objective of making Altima one of the best performing large front-wheel drive sedans available globally.

The new Altima also offers Nissan’s sport-tuned Xtronic CVT, a choice of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter V6 or powerful 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engines, and a long list of technology features – including standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition and available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, RearView Monitor and an advanced touch-screen navigation system. The 2007 Nissan Altima goes on sale in November 2006, with a hybrid version (HEV) available in eight designated states in early 2007. Details on the Altima Hybrid model will be released later.

Features of the 2007 Altima include:
    · Redesigned, next generation VQ35 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with an estimated 265-plus horsepower and 255-plus lb-ft of torque or a refined 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder with 165-plus horsepower and 170-plus lb-ft for stronger acceleration and improved sound quality
    · Standard dual exhaust with both engines, with larger intake and exhaust manifolds
    · New Xtronic CVT (available with both V6 and 4-cylinder engines) designed for fluid-feeling performance and efficient operation – V6 utilizes an all-new controller with adaptive logic and performance-tuning
    · New 6-speed manual transmission with a narrower gate and shorter shift stroke for improved shifting feel, performance and fuel economy (available with both V6 and 4-cylinder engines)
    · All-new “D” platform featuring much improved body rigidity, reduced NVH and 30 millimeter lower engine mounting position
    · New front suspension design with new geometry, half shafts now equal angle and more parallel to the ground – virtually eliminating torque steer
    · Improved rear suspension design with an emphasis on nimbleness and good ride comfort
    · Sport-tuned suspension with larger diameter stabilizer bars and unique spring rates and strut damping on 3.5 SE model
    · New power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering system helps provide light effort at low speeds, secure feeling at high speeds
    · Enhanced interior feel with refined workmanship, expanded use of soft materials (such as padded armrests) and chrome accents
    · Roomy yet sporty interior space with innovative amenities, including new Fine Vision Gauge instrument display panel, standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, convenient covered storage compartments and nine cup or bottle holders
    · Available Bluetoothâ Hands-Free Phone System with voice recognition, RearView Monitor and Nissan Navigation System
    · Standard front seat side-impact supplemental air bags for chest protection
    · Standard roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection
    · Available in 3.5-liter V6, 2.5-liter 4-cylinder or Altima Hybrid models (details on the early 2007 Altima Hybrid launch are forthcoming)
    Well said and agreed - I never said lowered Avalon sales and higher Camry sales are a bad thing :) Like you said, the bottom line is still TMC.

As for the original discussion, my point being, we would likely see higher sales of the MKZ once it lands at local lots, well, after consumers get around the name change :)

My original point, think about it, for the reasons I would buy a Zephyr (if I was in the market for one), I would have a lot more for a Fusion, and at a much lower price. Plus, the tail on the Zephyr gives me nightmare just looking at it, I am serious. I don't know why, I just cannot justify, at least with the current Zephyr/Fusion, maybe b/c they are, in essence, the same car :confuse:
    O RLY?

The Altima is not using the (new) VQ35HR, it will use the VQ35DE with new internals.

Press Release from just two days ago:

NISSAN DEVELOPS NEW-GENERATION V6 ENGINES
    --Engines to power all-new Skyline to be released this autumn--
    TOKYO (Aug. 22, 2006)--Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has newly developed two new-generation six-cylinder V-type engines for front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles featuring powerful performance and improved environmental friendliness.

The 3.5L VQ35HR and 2.5L VQ25HR engines will be built at Nissan's Iwaki Plant in Fukushima Prefecture and will be equipped in the all-new Skyline to be released this autumn in Japan, as well as the US where the model is sold as the Infiniti G35.

Featuring newly designed engine blocks and other key components, the engines offer smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 revolutions per minute drawing upon the "smooth transition" concept of the popular VQ engine, the only engine in the world to appear on Ward's 10-Best Engines list for 12 consecutive years.

The engines achieve a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency compared to vehicles equipped with the existing VQ engine and top-in-class Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle level emissions. SU-LEVs have 75% or less nitrogen oxide (NOx) and hydrocarbon (HC) emissions than those stipulated by Japan's 2005 exhaust emission standards.

The letters "HR" in VQ35HR and VQ25HR stand for "high revolution" and "high response."

Nissan began VQ engine production in 1994 and has produced a cumulative total of 5.5 million units as of last fiscal year, ended March 31, 2006.

Main specifications of the VQ35HR and VQ25HR engines:

Smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 rpm

Reduction of weight and friction through adoption of asymetrical piston skirt configuration
    Reduction of piston-side force through lengthening of con rod
    Addition of rudder frame, newly-designed cylinder block with significantly improved rigidity

Thrilling revving sound and top-in-class output

Adoption of perfectly symmetrical intake system
    Adoption of continuously variable valve timing control (CVTC) for intake side and electromagnetic valve timing control (e-VTC) for exhaust side
    Reduction of intake resistance through adoption of symmetrical twin intake system and straight intake port
    Adoption of isometric exhaust manifold and perfectly symmetrical exhaust system

Improvement of fuel-efficiency and emission cleanliness

Reduction of friction through adoption of world's first hydrogen-free, diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating
    Adoption of catalyst substrate with ultra-low heat mass, super-ignition iridium spark plug and fast light-off O2 sensor control
    I agreed with you on Zephyr, it's tail as well as the front give me goose bumps. However I do think Ford can have success with MKZ even with it sharing a same engine with the Fusion. Look at the Camry and ES350, they are essentially the same car (just like Fusion and MKZ). But with good packaging, better interior material, industry leading customer server and a lot and I mean A LOT of fancy toys the ES350 is able to distance itself from the Camry. I believe with the same approach, Ford could have the same success as well.
    I never said the engines were the SAME..I said they were related. The Altima still gets a redesigned VERSION of one of the Vq motors that is currently being used.

And my point again was that the Altima does get a NEW verison of the Vq motor that will be differnt from the one in Maximas.

I guess i should have specified that more clearly. I'm aware of the Vq used in the new G35..and I'm aware of the revised and heavily UPDATED verison of the vq series used in the new Altima that's not in the current Maxima.

Either way...the point of this discussion was about how the Fusion makes very little power compared to the competition and how Nissan, Honda and Toyota can offer more horsepower without stepping on each other's toes. Nissan isn't so great at it, but Toyota and Honda pull this off much better.

And I for one believe that the Fusion and the Milan both need the 3.5 asap.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    I love gadgets! And of course cars are gadgets too, but what about the gadgets in cars that are unique/helpful/or just cool.

for the mazda 6:

volume that raises and lowers depending on how fast you are going

easy switches in the trunk area to get the spring loaded seats to fall forward

my hatchback dresses like a sedan, but really is a super-wagon in disguise :shades:
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    What you guys see on the top of this page?
    CONSUMER RATING shows that Sonata is getting the highest rank. If Camcords are much better than Sonata, how would you explain this?
    Only few reviews for Sonata yet?
    I remember there were over 260 reviews for 2006 models, and Sonata was the top ranked before too.
    Maybe, all Sonata reviewers are working for Hyundai, not honest, or getting bribes from HYUNDAI?

Reality is you can get top LX Sonata for $18,000 nowadays. $18,000 car stopped shortest, most quiet, ran second fastest 0-60, better safety rating with more standard safety features, beat Camry on 600ft with 62MPH, more room and longer warranty. Who mentioned BENCHMARK?
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Saturn dropped CVT from VUE because it could not build a CVT that would last 3 or more years without failing. A large number of unfortunate VUE CVT owners are still out there.

Seems like a bit of a crap shoot for those who try to buy the first incarnations of the much-vaunted but not yet seen GM two-phase hybrid. Toyota managed to introduce the Prius with its additional complexity, and still quite good reliability. I guess you're a Vegas type if you gamble on brand new technology from GM.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    The 3.0 Duratec equipped with VVT is a proven engine. It has been around now for almost 10 years and
    ...sounds like it. Compare the NVH. That's one thing the Camry owners are buying...refinement.

A few years ago we considered a Mazda MPV as we wanted a smaller minivan. We liked the van. But that Ford engine sounded like a dryer with a couple of tennis shoes tumbling.
    Wow, yes yes, next time I go buy a car I'll let those consumer ratings at Edmunds tell me which one to buy...OR NOT!! Hyundai sells about 100K Sonatas per year and you are using 260 reviews to indicate that it's better than the Camcords? Nevertheless to mention that it beats the Camcords rating by like what? 0.1? 0.2? That is just totally idiotic. If you are trying to tell people that Sonata is the best in class by using those figures...not very convincing. You are going have to do better next time. Nice try though.

As for 0-60 times, I don't have my C&D mag with me right now but I can assure you that Sonata is NOT the fastest in the pack. Also, what kind of test is that for the 600ft? I've never seen any test like that before, please give reference(s).

Reality is that Sonata is NOT THE BENCHMARK YET, period. You can spin it anyway you like but it is still at least another generation (or 2) short to establish its credibility and becomes the class leader.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just for everyone's information, the ratings listed above are only for the latest model of each vehicle. As you can see, some models have had very few reviews so far (like the Sonata), and others have yet to be reviewed.

You can see all MY reviews by clicking on the "Consumer Rating" link next to each vehicle listed.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Man - what was I thinking? I should have bought the car you said had 'the highest rank' instead of the one I really wanted.

I can spin the numbers to make the Impala come out 'ahead'.
    Bottom line is that the large majority of people buy what they want, not what somebody's 'ranking' suggested they should buy.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Hyundai sells about 100K Sonatas per year and you are using 260 reviews to indicate that it's better than the Camcords? Nevertheless to mention that it beats the Camcords rating by like what? 0.1? 0.2? That is just totally idiotic

Nobody said any car was better than any other. Consumer satisfaction ratings do not tell you which car is better, nor even imply it. It simply tells you which car the owners are the most satisfied with.
    The quality is there.. just look. Besides The Fusion has been out about a year now with no issues. The 07 Camry has had transmission issues and if you read the posts right here at Edmunds.. :shades:
    260 samples out of 100K+ owners?

Yeah, that says a lot...
    "Not anytime soon at least. What incentives would buyers have to buy a Zephyr/MKZ if the 3.5 V6 was also offered on the Fusion. Even the luxury flagship MKS is expected to have the same 3.5. If anything, it'd be in the SVT version."

I agree with this %100. If Ford marketing were smart. They would only allow the 3.5 into the MKZ as the standard engine. In the Fusion/Milan they should offer some sort of sport variant. Fusion/Milan should offer 3 choices of engines. 2.3, 3.0, 3.5. Choice is nice.. Some say the 3.0 Duratace is "underpowered" Underpowered by tenths of a second??!! Yet offering great MPG. If anyting they should offer a 6spd manual or manumatic with the 3.0.. That would be nice. ;)
    I have to agree with this guy. Consumers make the difference not the media/writers.

This is what I meant by my saying it takes the media longer to catch on to what consumers are really saying about products and buying. There are so many great sedans in this segment. I would not want to be the person who had to claim a "winner" Winner how? of what? Its all in ones opinion.
    I have to agree with this guy. Consumers make the difference not the media/writers.

Agreed.

Consumers are making the difference by voting with their money to make Accord/Camry the top sellers of this class year after year.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The Edmunds consumer reviews tell nothing. I had a discussion about The number of posts on the problems forum yesterday, and the same theory applies here. The Edmunds consumer reviews are just a sample of the total owner population. This sample may not be an accurate representation. This isn't even a scientific poll.
    Just found a poster who paid over $4,000 more for his Toyota Camry like optioned to my Fusion. He has stability control, blue tooth and MP3 that I don't have, along with 39 more HP.. Is it worth it? Now, I hope his resale is better, it had better be!! :surprise:
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    Fusion/Milan should offer 3 choices of engines. 2.3, 3.0, 3.5.

My hope would be for ford to drop the 3.0L altogether and just utilize the 2.3L I4 and 3.5L V6 engines. The 3.0L has served ford well, but has become long in the tooth. Once ford ramps up production of the new 3.5L engine, there should be no need for the 3.0L. Its said that the 3.5L will achieve similar if not the same economy as the 3.0L and since the 3.5L is a compact design it will fit in the same space as the 3.0L.
    Not really. You need to ask those who switched from Hyundai to something else as well. And, also those who picked something else over Hyundai. Those who picked Hyundai in recent past are not representative of average shopper - they represent Hyundai lovers.
    So if someone bought a 2006/7 Sonata as their very first Hyundai, they are a "Hyundai lover"? How do you figure that? Maybe they shopped around and liked multiple cars, but wound up buying the Sonata for whatever reason, be it value, or warranty, or interior room, or some other aspect.

As far as customers switching from Hyundai... are you aware of Hyundai's customer retention rates and how they compare with others? Would it surprise you to know that Hyundai ranks 5th in the industry in customer retention, according to JD Power?
    I see your point.

Here's what I feel. It's easy to say Camry outsells Sonata. But then you can say that Hyundai doesn't have as many dealers. Hyundai is now highly ranked in JD Power and other studies and the products look better. Still, I wouldn't buy a Hyundai. If Hyundai can sell as many cars as they do today with less warranty (something like 5-7 years instead of 10 on the powertrain), I will consider one.

Coming back to the topic, Sonata is a great looking midsize sedan.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Hyundai sells about 100K Sonatas per year

Hyundai sold a little over 100,000 Sonatas from 1/1/06 through 7/31/06. There's five more months of sales to be counted.
    I am not sure why you would consider having less warranty a reason for buying a car, but to each his/her own. Anyway, you may get your wish soon: HMA execs have said that the 10/100 warranty will go away after the 2008 model year. They could always change there minds, though...

I like the looks of the Sonata also. Except for the Mazda6, it's my favorite in looks among the current mid-sized sedans.
    10 year warranty, 0% APR, etc. are misleading. If I am stuck 350 miles from my home because of engine gasket problem or a transmission leak, the long warranty or low APR wouldn't make me feel any better.

I owned GM products well before when 0% APR deals started - but never bought one after the deals started (not because anything is wrong with the deal, but because I had serious quality issues with GM products that I owned). Instead I bought a Mazda Protege in 2002 and a CR-V last month. The Protege has been very reliable. I hope the CR-V would be reliable too (since a 7 year/ 100,000 mile extended warranty cost me only $210).

I am a conservative shopper who relies on personal recommendation from friends as well as Edmund's "True Cost to Own" info. I don't care about marketing tricks.
    I agree. I'd rather have the 10 year warranty, 0% financing (or really low price), AND solid reliability.

But one common misperception is that the Sonata and Hyundais in general are unreliable now because of the long warranty that Hyundai offers. The warranty "marketing trick" is there to help buyers get past the perception of unreliabililty due to Hyundai's less-than-stellar past in that regard. And I am very happy to take advantage of that "marketing trick" just as long as it's available! :)
    I will be trading in the Protege for a midsize sedan in next 1 or 2 years. I feel a bit encouraged now to test-drive Sonata. But while comparing with other cars in the class, I will ignore the long-warranty that comes with it. Currently, Mazda6/ Altima/ Accord are on my mind; and, I will also ignore any promotions on them as well.
This discussion has been closed.