Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sport Wagon

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
The next-generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class will spawn a five-door, compact sport wagon that the company will use to fend off the BMW X3 and Land Rover Freelander. A report in Automotive News says that Mercedes will use the same tack as it did with the M-Class SUV with the new sport wagon, which ostensibly would feature all-wheel drive like the competition. The new wagon would go on sale in early 2007 in Europe, with plans for the U.S. a year later, the industry weekly adds. European versions would be offered with four-, six- and eight-cylinder engines; and as TCC reported last week from Brazil, the new vehicle may be built in that nation or in Bremen, Germany.

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Well, I'm a sucker for a title, and no two ways! Got all excited about a new RWD sport-wagon prospect here only to find out we're talking about the baby M!
    [sigh]

Sadly this is nothing like what I envision when I see the term "compact sport wagon". I see my current car. I see an Audi A3 Sportback. I see the current 325iT. I see a Mazda 3. Maybe even an A4 or S4 Avant.

This is neither compact nor sporty in my (perhaps too limited) book!

[In his best Charlton Heston] "Darn them! Darn them all to heck!"
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm afraid you're right, this is just another small SUV, not a true "wagon" like you like'm.

The names MLK, MLX, MLE have been thrown around, but I don't even think this project has been officially approved yet.

There will be of course another C-Class "wagon" is there is now.

M
    Well whatever its going to be it has the official green light for production:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050428.001

Not clear if it will be for U.S. sale though. They're calling it the MLX so far.

Wale_bate1 - a smaller M-Class it will be, no wagonee thing.

M
    Saw that.

X-class. Sounds like Star Wars! ;-]

A BMX X3 fighter. Notice how with each passing year; each successive generation, these things get lower and lower, and more car-like, with an eye to road handling characteristics? They'll get to the stuff I want soon enough. I'll lease an Audi A3 3.2 DSG for a few years, and then it'll be a smogasbord of compact RWD real sport wagons from which to choose!
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    I would venture to guess that if they offer the '06 C350 wagon with a manual tranny, it will be something more special that the past wagons have been. Imagine that wagon with the sport package steering and suspension tweeks, staggered "17 wheels, etc. I bet it would be hot!
    Would you go for one of those? A 6speed rwd C350 Sport wagon?

Stroudman is a C350 even coming to the U.S. or are they going to stick with the smaller V6, C240 -> C280?

M
    I don't consider the manual tranny a prerequisite for me personally; I can thrash rubber big time with a 7A manumatic. To be a "sport" wagon in my book, though, the manual would have to be standard, and I would have the option.

More important would be that sport package including a staggered set-up, wider rubber, stiffer springs, sharper, more communicative steering, etc. as stroudman suggets. I would also like a sport interior package with perfed leather and more formed seats, or maybe even a leather/Alcantara gig a la Audi's S4 Recaros.

The only issue I would have, and it could easily be countered by superb driving experience, is the the C-class, along with the rest of what used to be the compact lux market, is getting fairly sizey! I like 'em close and snug and sporty, but still useful. If the default is to schlepping passengers in the rear-seat in real comfort, then for me it's getting too big. I know, I'm being difficult, but I know what I like!

That's why I thought a B-class (though not a FWD one) would be a hip gig.

But to answer the question: yeah, that might just work!
    ;-]
    merc, we won't get a C350 wagon in the states :-(

A rep from MB training and Dev. stopped by to talk to our techs yesterday...in a B-CLASS!!! Silver with ash cloth/MB tex. It was so cool, and so roomy inside. It's a 3/4's M-class with a console shifter. He wouldn't let us drive it, and had no idea if or when we'd get one, but he's been driving it for weeks around the region and said it's fantastic. If only...
    The snob in me (wale_bate1) is still against a fwd under 30K Mercedes in the U.S., but from what I've read about it seems to be swiss army knife of a vehicle.

I'm just not sure if such a vehicle would make it here. I'm betting that MB and BMW will see how the new Audi A3 does before making any further decisions on their smallest cars.

M
    Bloody patrician! [-P

I agree frankly, though of course, not for the same reasons!

While I think conditions are ripening for a wave of hatch offerings, I don't think we're quite there yet. With even Dodge entering the FWD compact hatch game, I think the inventory will be high enough until the genYer's are truly on their fully-vested feet. Once they establish serious affluence, since they carry none of the emotional hatch-aversion baggage of us'all boomers or boom-tails, they will embrace what Europe has enjoyed for many, many moons.

If it was RWD, I believe the situation would be different. Perhaps not much, but at least a certain enthusiast segment could be counted on for interest. I'd be looking real hard!
    It is VERY Euro, that is for sure. It would sell here for its value, (size and features vs. price) more so than for its looks. I like it, but I'll be the first to admit my tastes can run towards the eccentric at times. It would probably sell better, and be better for the brand, if it were badged a SMART product.
This discussion has been closed.