Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2006+

Comments

• ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    The navi has the knob that functions with more sophistication than the TL. The RL has adaptive headlights. It has sun sensors for climate control

You gave good insights, and I just want to pick out 2 little sentences from your post and pick on 'em a little. :P The RLs nav knob might be nicer, but I heard that the RL doesn't have a touch-scren like the TL. Is that true? If so, I think that's a big negative. Also, the TL has sun sensing cliamte control, too. It's used for the passenger side only. Is that the same as with the RL? I assume you don't need it for the driver, too, b/c if it was affecting both, you'd just adjust the main temp control.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Thanks, I am new to Honda products, and practices. But the RL can't compete with Lexus, and if the sales numbers are as bad as I have heard, They must radically change the RL, just like they did with the TL, to compete.
  • dalls223dalls223 Member Posts: 41
    Well Acura sure had their chance last year. If the new RL is a flop, then they have themselves to blame. I still think that the new RL should be a few inches larger, and the styling sure hasn't impressed anyone in this forum. I keep hearing the comparison to the Accord. Ouch! It costs about twice as much and people are finding similarities. Honestly, I don't think that it looks like an Accord from the front or the back, because of the headlight and grill styling, but if you look at it from the side, it does start to look Honda-ish. Should be interesting what tweaks they make to the RL in 2007 or 2008, but by the sounds of everyone in the forum it sounds like the TL isn't the only car that should be retooled for 06'. Scary!

Also, Acura won't discontinue the RL. There is still a market that it targets; mostly from the age of 45-65. Performance and styling aren't as important. Quality of ride and legroom are quite important though. I have sat in both the new TL and the new RL and there is an adequate difference in legroom between the two. This may be important to some. That is the $15,000 question.
    Response to sentence dissection #1:

Thanks for bringing that up. I have a navi with my 2002 TL-S and I love the touch screen ability. I have sat in other vehicles with navi's and have always appreciated having the touch screen in my car, because I am used to it. However, don't the new TL's and RL's have voice activated navigation systems? Doesn't that eliminate the need for a touchscreen some if not most of the time? A couple of drawbacks on the touchscreen that I have noticed over the past three and a half years. 1) Cleaning off the fingerprints is annoying. My screen looks greasy almost all of the time, which is not very appealing. 2) I feel like putting my fist through the screen when I touch a "highlighted" letter or number and the thing does not register it until you touch it for about the fourth or fifth time. Thank goodness that doesn't happen all of the time. But then again it is all about what you are comfortable with, right? Personally, I think that I could get used to life without a touch screen. Maybe I wouldn't miss it at all after awhile. Who knows? My point is that the RL's navi is more intuitive than the TL's, which most people can operate once it is studied and learned.

Response to sentence dissection #2:

You are right about the TL offering the solar sensing, but with navigation models only, since it uses GPS info from the navi in order to detect where the sun is. Since the RL comes standard with the navigation system, then you don't need to worry about that option, and therefore it is an advantage over the TL. That is what I was getting at originally. Also, it functions virtually the same way in both cars.

Not only that, but the RL has a sunshade and the TL doesn't.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    You might try this (long taught to computer users to keep fingerprints off screens when pointing)...

Turn your hand over, and use your fingernail to select - it usually works, and leaves no print. Tim
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "...and use your fingernail to select - it usually works, and leaves no print"

But would it leave scratches? :confuse:
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    No scratches. You're not tapping with the nail facing forward, you're pressing with the nail side instead of the "print" side of the finger. Try it on your refrigerator (or your monitor) - one will leave a fingerprint, the other won't. No oil (to speak of) on your nail, so no marks. Tim
    Yes, from the side the RL looks like an Accord. I thought the interior of the TL was just as roomy as the RL. I am 6 foot even, and the TL has plenty of leg room for me. The RL needs a serious re-design or it will flop again next year.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I think the RL is fine except for the price. It should be in the low 40's to make it more competitive. It certainly has value over the TL just not that much.
    Areed, but then it's too close in price to the TL. IMHO the RL is not worth $10,000 more than a TL. I have driven both cars and I think the TL is a far better value.
    I find it interesting reading all of the dialogue going back and forth between the TL and the RL. It is scary to think that there is so much controversy between these two cars in regards to value, even after a pretty major redesign for the RL. It is even scarier to consider that at one time the 2004 RL sold along side with the 2004 TL. Trying to say that the 2004 RL was $10,000 better than the 2004 TL would be absolutely absurd. However, the issues of the old RL (lack of current luxury technology and power under the hood) have been addressed. But it almost seems that they haven't been addressed enough by the consistent tone that I am seeing. It is not common in the least to see a model refresh after one year on the market, but the 2006 RL seems to be a good candidate due to the stirring rumors on the 2006 TL. I am an advocate of thinking that these are two different cars by which the RL places more of its emphasis on ride quality and luxury than does the TL. This might not justify the $15K difference between the two cars. That is up to the buyer. In a similar comparison, the Lexus LS430 is not as sporty or as fast as the GS430, but it is about $10K more because of the fit and finish of the vehicle. That is what RL customers are paying for. Now I haven't riden in the new TL or the new RL, but I can only expect there to be a noticeable difference in ride quality and finish between the two cars.

However, if you look at the market, we seem to be migrating toward a quicker, sportier populace. Forget about the horsepower war going on between sedans and coupes across the board. We are all too aware of that. But look at all of the luxury crossover vehicles either in the market or coming into the market (i.e. Infiniti FX45, Cadillac SRX, the soon to be Mercedes R-Class, and the upcoming BMW V5). This shows that our society wants high performance in vehicles that were not originally designed to be high performance (the SUV). That is what is killing the new RL. The luxury sedan market has become so performance competitive over the past 3-5 years, that the RL's boost in engine pep wasn't enough in the mind of luxury sport sedan minded customers to swing demand in the RL's favor. When it comes down to it, you cannot ignore the inevitable. Society wants more power, and they are willing to sacrifice a little luxury to get it. How else to do explain all of the luxury sedans beefing up the size of the wheels? 3-5 years ago the average wheel size on a vehicle in this segment was 16-17 inches. Now almost all of them come standard with 18" wheels. Less ride quality, more cornering. The RL's only saving grace is the fact that it is totally different from its predecesor, and that it provides a good blend of performance with a superior ride to keep the traditional luxury car driver satisfied.
    You make some excellent points, but there is no way the fit and finish in the RL is superior to the TL. That is not to demean the RL, but it just says how good the TL is in quality. The ride of the TL is sportier, and the RL is softer, that is the only difference between the two cars, and it's not a $10,000 difference.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I think the Infiniti M and Lexus GS are killing the Acura RL. The RL is doing poorly for such a new model. It really has very little going for it, to be honest.

And Acura doesn't have the status of a Lexus of MB E Class . .barely up to the Infiniti at this point.
    I agree 100%, the RL is really lacking.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    I would have sworn that this forum had something to do with the upcoming TL. Hence, the title, "2006 Acura TL". Who cares about the RL and how much it costs, what about some input on what the topic is supposed to be, the 2006 Acura TL. I really find it amusing how some people totally ignore the topic, and go ahead and give a long winded story about nothing at all to do with the 2006 TL. Give it a rest and stick with the subject. :confuse:
    Wow, then I am appalled that Acura would have the courage to sell the RL for so much, if what you say is true. In my evaluation of the last generation RL and TL, I would have to say without a doubt that the RL's fit and finish were superior to the TL's. This comes as a huge surprise to me that the new generation RL's and TL's are on the same footing in this all important, differentiating category. However I cannot personally say, because I have riden in neither. I would have to agree that there wasn't a $10K difference between the last generation TL and RL, and there seems to be no doubt that there is a $13-15K difference between the new generation TL and RL. I am shocked if this is really true.
    Come on fdcapt2. Give me a break. The status of the current RL and its future has a lot to do with this forum because we are trying to see what the 2006 TL can get away with in its refresh. From what I am hearing, Acura should just discontinue the RL because there doesn't seem to be any reason to buy one over a TL, especially with such a gaping price difference between the two cars.

What else can we possibly mention on the 2006 TL, especially with there only being rumors at this point? Side view mirror turn indicators, SH-AWD, and a boost in horsepower; that is about all that is feasible to assume the 2006 TL will have in addition to the 05' offering. I am not ignoring the topic, I am outlying the issues. The truth is, if they improve the 2006 TL too much, then there might not be an RL to discuss anymore. We are all just passing the time while we wait for the truth on the 06' TL. There is some good discussion going on here, wouldn't you agree?

Not only that, but at least we are talking about Acuras again. Last week when I was on vacation all anybody wanted to talk about was how much the Lexus LS costs. I could see you getting heated over that. But we are talking about the landscape that is Acura. Without looking at the big picture, it is hard to evaluate all of the parts of that picture, especially when determining that which will be the 2006 TL. It is something that Honda/Acura are looking at too, I hope. Don't make the 2006 TL too much of a good thing, or it will alienate the RL even more so.
    Outstanding post!!! I have driven both cars and, from behind the wheel, the TL holds it's own easily regarding comfort and features, for thousands less. It's easily as roomy for the front seat passengers, not bad in the back seat. 280 hp and AWD, and the RL is toast, in fact the RL toaste now, the RL is not selling.
  • chabanaischabanais Member Posts: 4
    The RL was not moving because at its class level a majority of people are interested in leasing, not buying, their RL. Acura did not have a cheap enough lease to compete with BMW and Mercedes which heavily subsidize their leases so people will choose them.
    I'm not sure that's true. In fact, I think older folks tend to buy vs. lease. Also, in my neck of the woods, Mercedes has got some pretty damn high lease rates.
  • wymanwyman Member Posts: 13
    OK so I'm going to post something that is actually about the 2006 TL! (at least what I want Acura to read so they get my wish list).
    I've got a 2000 TL and love it but its time for a new car and I'd like to get a 2006 TL if it has some new stuff...
    1. MP3 ready & IPOD ready (instead of DVD audio).
    2. Navi to come down in price (I'd buy it but not for what their asking now)
    3. Turn signal lights on side panels or mirrors.
    4. AWD and more horsepower (OK everyone has said it before. Its not a huge deal for me but nice to have).
    5. Tighter turn ratio.
    6. Seats that wear well.
    7. Front and rear sensors.
    8. Key FOB that holds its paint.">

Other than that please don't mess with a good thing!
    Oh and XM Radio for Canadians too! (it's been approved by the CRTC)
    " Key FOB that holds its paint."> "

Amen!

I rented an el cheapo PT Cruiser convertible for the weekend for a little fun in the sun, and the key fob for that looks like it is 10x sturdier and more durable than the one for the TL. I still think they should just integrate the remote into the key head. That way you would at least eliminate the key scratching up the remote.

(BTW, the PT Cruiser turned out to be a much better car than I expected. Not much power, but the Neon engine was quite smooth. And the biggest surprise was that even with the top down, there was nary a squeak or rattle! Acura, pay attention :mad: )
    Acura did studies and the old RL was mostly retail purchase, the new RL is about 65% lease. Look at BMW where you can lease a car that costs $20,000 more for the same as an RL.

TL will not be AWD until it's redesigned. IPOD will work starting in the fall.
    Despite the RL being slammed recently in this forum, it did receive the top honor in regards to techie cars under $50K available on the market (according to CNET). I am surprised that the TL didn't get a spot on that list, especially if it is so close to the RL in technology, and for thousands of dollars less. I guess it is a one car limit per brand? Check it out today June 28th, if you haven't already at www.netscape.com, news flash #3..
    XM radio is great!!! It costs on 10 or 12 bucks a month, and the comedy channel alone is worth it. :shades:
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Only comment I have is that it fades out when you sit under an overpass...or in a tunnel.

My alternative. I subscribe to "Napster To Go" for $14...fill my mp3 jukebox player....and have access to 1,000,000 songs. AND I can take that music anywhere I want to go outside the car. That is the way.
    don't the new TL's and RL's have voice activated navigation systems? Doesn't that eliminate the need for a touchscreen some if not most of the time?

Most of the time, "yes." The system doesn't recognize verbal commands not pre-programmed into the system, so if you need to enter a street name, it must be done manually. The Infinity M has outdone the Acura in this regard, from my understanding of its system.

BTW, I use an eyeglass cloth to clean the scren. Works well.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Well I don't see what's the big deal with having an MP3 player ready TL.... you can get an MP3 adapter al Wal Mart for $29.95, then plug it into the cig lighter, then sintonize radio at required station, and there you go....better than having cd's!
    you can plug into the adapter one of those memory flash sticks... there are sizes ranging from 128, 256, and 512MB... which means lots of space for music. :D
    The issue I have with the MP3 adpater is that it transmits the signal via an analog radio wave...when you have a digital source. A direct plug-in with player holder would be great to retain the digital source. Also less clutter that way.

As for MP3 player capacity...I work with a 5 gigabyte player...which has the ability to hold 2,500 songs.

Pricing...$14 with Napster to Go. I believe Yahoo has a plan for something like $7 a month. Both where you can download unlimited number of songs a month.
    Actually, you can 'talk' to the RL and tell it the street name, city name, address number. Try it it works. Someone must not have told you how to use the RL.
    Yeah,
    I have the fm transmitter for my iPOD and it has a lot of static. Having true iPOD connectivity would give you:
    - much better sound (true digital)
    - control of songs and playlists via your radio buttons or steering wheel buttons
    - on screen display of id3 tags (song, artist, etc. )
    - access to a gazillion songs :)

this is what the new BMW 3 Series has.
    Within 90 days you will have this in the TL and it should be backward compatible.
    The person who told me owns an RL and is familiar with nav systems, in general. Do you have an RL? Just to be clear, are you saying that if you get to the address input screen and say "Washington Avenue" or "W-A-S-H..." It'll recognize that language?
    I got to say that I'm a bit disappointed on the keys for this car. I used to lease a 2002 VW jetta (which is about $10K cheaper than the TL) and one thing I enjoyed most were the Flip over keys, which felt tough and would not discolor. For $10K more I was wishing to at least maintain that perk, but no siree... :mad:
  • gozagsgozags Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with "wyman" on the above post for improvements on the TL. At a minimum, if the new TL had an MP3 player and AWD, I would buy it. If the 2006 TL had a dvd player that plays MP3s, you could fit thousands of songs in the changer on burnable DVDs. I'm sure there are quite a few people waiting for these new features in the TL. I would buy the 2006 as soon as it comes out if it had AWD and an MP3 capable player. I've seen some posts saying that there won't be any changes for 2006, but why would Honda wait on improvements like this that would clearly increase sales? I looked on Acura and Honda's site for a place to post comments like this, but I couldn't find a forum...Does anyone know if you can post these suggestions to their site?
    Well these suggestions are a really good idea and I also wish there was a way to bring them over the table. Last weekend I took a driving test, and asked the salesman about the MP3 player. It seems it won't come on the 2006 model either, but well, not everything is lost here..... you can buy an MP3 adaptor at Wal Mart for $29.95 and plug it into the power outlet (or cigarete lighter) of the car. You then turn on the stereo and sintonize the proper channel and you will be able to listen whatever music you might have..... only problem about this, is that it might look a bit bulky, but its supposed to work......now for a $30k car, it seems really pathetic to have to do this kind of thing, instead of having Acura/Honda catch up with current technology, and adapt it to their products. I think I heard of another brand which is cheaper, that already has MP3 integrated.
    Refer to post #234 from this forum. The biggest problem with the adapters is that it may have some interference (as it comes through FM radio waves) and it is no longer digital. In addition...it doesn't allow the use of the steering wheel controls and has no readout of the songs on the display.

Oh well...the in-dash six CD changer still works out great with the awesome sound system. You can always burn a few CDs with you music mix and plug them in for six hours of music enjoyment.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    Honda does have a jack for your MP3 player in the Element.
    This is the one thing that really irritates me about my 2002 TL-S. I have the DVD-based navigation system, but you cannot play DVD movies, even when you are in park. I have heard that the Lexus RX does this, and I assume there are some other car companies that have models that allow you to watch DVD movies on the navi screen. I think that would be a cool enhancement for the 2006 TL and I don't know why it hasn't been implemented already for prior models. If they did, then that might better justify the $2000 price tag on the option.
    Driving and watching a movie, sounds dangerous to me. :surprise:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    As far as I know... None of the factory DVD Nav systems will play movies... even in park..

Too many liability concerns..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    that the one in the SC430 did, but I may be wrong.
    you might want to see if there's a forum here for aftermoarket modifications
  • yakuzayakuza Member Posts: 15
    Actually, I know of at least two different cars that will play DVD movies on the navigation screen WHILE IN PARK - the Toyota Sienna minivan and the M35/45.
    Well that makes a lot more sense that watching a movie while driving. :P
    As frisconick said.....why would you want to watch a DVD movie on a sedan??... in PARK??....Unless its on a mini-van I really don't see the use for it. Besides, that would only distract you if you drive while playing a movie, and then your insurance rates would be much more higher probably!!.... well its distracting enough having the Navi, but if it is for the most part voice activated, that means more time you pay attention to the road, than to the little screen on the console.
    I could understand playing a movie in a mini-van in the back seat to keep the kids quiet. :)
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    c'mon people....these DVD's do not play while the vehicle is in drive...and even if they were modified to do so it would not be any worse that having a portable DVD player sitting on the seat next to you as you drive down the road...
    There's a reason why navi were put in cars....there was a reason DVD players were put in cars...and now there is a resaon why navi based cars play DVD's...
    The buying public wants it!!! It's simple, no demand, no product...
    Hell, you can take an $8000 brand new Kia and take out the stock radio and put in an after market pioneer am/fm/cd changer pop up screen stereo that plays DVD's...
    Laptop's play DVD's...set it on the passenger seat and plow down the highway watching "The fast and the furious"...
    I am not saying that I agree with having these systems in the view of the driver but it is a convience that someone wanted otherwise this product would not be available....IMO of course....
    Good points, but I believe that if you use a cell phone, Navi, or whatever, pull over first.
This discussion has been closed.