Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Tiburon

124»

Comments

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It is being billed as the most affordable 300hp+ sports car; the only turbo 4 rear wheel to hit the market.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    that must means under $25,000 for the v-6, and who knows how much for the turbo. looks like it undercuts the Genesis sedan by around 5k, and probably priced somewhere between the Sonata and Azera.
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    At LA show, Hyundai said that the Genesis coupe is not a successor to the FWD Tiburon....the Veloster concept [a FWD w/2.0 L and 5 speed AT] will be the future Tiburon (expected 2009-'10)...............it will start at about the same price as the current Tiburon
    Turbo4 is the base engine will cost less than the V6 version. I'd venture to guess around 20K base
    Yeah, the Genesis coupe is a separate model to the FWD Tiburon. Mods, can we change the title to Genesis Coupe?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    This discussion is linked off of the Future Vehicles page for the 2009 Tiburon, so we're going to need to keep it as a Tiburon discussion. We don't have any info on a separate Genesis coupe, but if you want to start a new topic for that, that's fine & dandy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    I think that would make sense, seeing as the Genesis sedan is supposed to be their lux flagship. I don't think this sedan/coupe combo can be looked at like the G35 coupe/sedan, 3-series sedan/coupe...

I see this coupe having the Gensis V6 drivetrain (don't think the sedan will get the I-4T, at least not in the states), maybe some interior components on a top-of-the-line luxo model, but not really billed as a coupe version of the Genesis sedan like in the examples above. (Hope I'm clear on my explanation / thoughts).

Any event, it's a cool-looking rig
    The Genesis coupe WILL have the same V6 current housed in the Hyundai Azera, Kia Amanti, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Veracruz, albeit in its second generation, and modifications to up the horsepower up to over 300 (and increased torque as well). The other four vehicles mentioned will receive the second generation engine when they are due for facelift.

The turbo 4 is mainly designed to attract the tuner crowd and help to keep the prices low - probably around 20K (either way, we are looking at the only rear-wheel turbo 4 and the most affordable V6 when it arrives).

The interior is vast different from the BK (Genesis coupe) and BH (Genesis sedan).

The Tiburon replacement (FWD) will be Veloster inspired but it is not due until a few years down the road. This is why the Hyundai coupe replacement is not a replacement but a new model based on the Genesis sedan platform, accomdating RWD architecture.
    Read this last night in AutoWeek mag:

Hyundai unveiled its Genesis Coupe at the LA show, but production versions of the big rear-wheel-drive cars - sedan, coupe, convertible – are well on their way to showrooms.

The Genesis – though that likely won’t be the production car’s moniker – will make its debut in sedan form at the Detroit auto show in January and will go on sale in mid-2008 as an ’09. The production coupe will debut next spring at the New York show and will arrive in dealerships in spring 2009 as an ’10 model.

Hyundai reiterated that only the flagship sedan will get v8 power, in the form of a 4.6 litre packing more than 300 hp. The coupe will reportedly make do with a 3.8 litre, 300 hp V6, and a turbocharged 2.0 litre, 215 hp I4

The article went on to show the silver coupe, parked alongside the Mustang, stating that was from a summer marketing event, and the earlier camouflage pics were taken in Colorado. There wasn't a time-frame listed for the convert.

This pretty much what I stated yesterday.
    The silver Genesis coupe park next the Mustang was not part of a summer marketing event, it was part of a consumer clinic (not open to public) back in June. There were other coupes at the clinic - fyi

The production version is already done - Hyundai built the concept based on the production model. The production model was at the consumer clinic.

Feel free to add pre- before production :)
    As was read / stated in the mag, it was listed as marketing as well, which is what a consumer clinic is, fyi. A consumer clinic is used to market the product(s) and/or services a company (or companies) have to offer. I guess you're not in the auto industry as I, or any industry dealing with products/services for that matter, so you wouldn't know that. Oh, and some are open to the public. Don't get this confused with a design clinic.

Again fyi.

Maybe you can explain what the purpose of a consumer clinic if it's not used to market a product? Why have one if you have nothing to show, have nothing to try to gain interest in? What would be the point?

Hmmm, no real need to add "pre-", as everyone knows that. ;)

Have a happy holiday...
    Yeah let's praise autoweek then since they were at the focus group. They weren't. By the way, that particular focus group was not open to the public, nor the press/media; only a handful of participants were selected for this closed door session.

There was nothing to market from Hyundai at this point, as the production model has not been revealed to the public. Just so that you are aware, the badges on every car at the focus group were covered.

If you had ever been involved in some type of focus groups, you would know they are to gauge information, interest, areas the participants liked, what areas the participants didn't - generally for products not yet on the market. Those information are then taken into consideration to make the FINAL product more relevant to the target market. Prior to all focus groups, all participants sign some type of non-disclosure agreements, which makes the leak even more sketch; although I hear the cameras at the convention center were not supposed to be on.

I work in the PR industry. My firm deals with several automakers in number of engagements and special projects.
    Oooh, you work for a PR firm, happy-happy, joy-joy. ;) I bow to your knowledge, yeah right ;) .

Really don't care if AuoWeek was there or not, didn't say they were, YOU did. Excerpt was not my words words, came from the mag (thought I said that twice - just checked, yup said it twice).

And I have been involved in many focus groups, have prepared autos & trucks for them, as well as design, test and build automotive, light truck and heavy truck components, prototype and production. I deal directly with the OEMs of auto and heavy truck, as well as participate in their clinics & shows, closed-door & public, which are quite different than focus group clinics. I am also involved with product introductions from show to plant. I work for a medium-sized company, wear many hats and my duties allow me to be able to take a product from cradle to grave, from concept to production. Really great job & I enjoy it, allows me to stay ahead of the curve. That's my background; is your's that in-depth in automotive and in the shows, clinics, events but more importantly, product?

Basically, focus group / clinics are those to gauge ideas (supposedly) of current & potential buyers / consumers. But if you really are in PR and your focus is in automotive then you should know that the "no cameras allowed" rule is a joke; someone somewhere somehow gets a camera in a viola. Now if you are dealing with a consumer clinic, which can be open, usually to a select few current owners / enthusiasts, then the confidential agreement can / will be in place. Don't confuse common consumer products clinics with automotive clinics, different set of rules.

I'm bored with this back and forth; I deal with this everyday at work from"experts" and don't need to deal with it here.

Have a happy holiday all the same.
    I was being sarcastic about the autoweek reference. And on that note, everything you've said up to this point related to Genesis coupe (BK) has been referenced from Autoweek, including somehow the clinic was billed as a marketing event. Where do you think Autoweek got its bs info?

I am trying to give you BK related info, those I am allowed to from someone close to Hyundai, such as what went on during the closed-door session, or the fact no cameras from the particpants were brought in, but cameras inside the convention center somehow came on (aerial shots from far away); while everything you've provided - unorganized dictionary references that really do not apply to the BK, other than maybe some general information.

Back to BK.
    YAWN...

Looks like someone's feelings got hurt. It'll be ok big guy ;)

The PR crack got you upset huh? Don't dish what you can't take. :P

Yes what I posted was from the mag; again it was something I R-E-A-D. I don't really care if that mag's people, C&D's people, MT people, whoever was where. It really doesn't matter. I read the articles, journals and weekly letters for enjoyment, not for the stone-cold, end all truth. Because, as you must know (at least I hope you know), it's their opinions. So if someone posts something from another source, it is not their own, it is from that source. Get it? If I was there I would have posted something different, like my own shots, commentary and info. and let's be clear, everything you have posted was also from somewhere else, as you would've been able to make your own comments / judgements. But unlike you, I didn't try to jump all over you with some bs diatribe to try to boost my ego, to try to make myself look / seem more knowledgeable than possible. But you did and it backfired, as usual. And if your feelings got hurt, sorry but too bad.

Let's move on, shall we, because this is really boring... :sick:
    Almost everything I posted here come from a reliable source with inside scoop of Hyundai. I tried to offer something differ from the incorrect assumptions, yet you insisted otherwise (not related to the topic), and how little (knowledge) I know about "xxxx" subject.

There is no ego to boost, just the truth. I am just baffled you are still arguing against the truth.

I tried to do some good and some good I did.

Let's move on...
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    Joe97 thanks for the helpful info on the upcoming BH coupe. So what you're saying is that the concept shown at LA will be pretty much close to production?
    Very much so. The concept Genesis was built off of the pre-production model. The tuner parts, such as carbon fiber hood, probably won't make into production but I do see them being offered as aftermarket upgrades. Despite such, and based on what I have seen and heard, I still expect the production coupe to have flare and presence.

Others, let's see...the 20 in. wheels on the concept won't make into production but 18s or 19s would be good bet. Also, the bending rigidity has been benchmarked after the BMW M3 (E46); it was indicated the coupe has higher chassis ridgidity, which generally lead to great handling.

Let's wait and see how everything turns out, but if what has been shown so far is any indication of the direction Hyundai is taking, then this would be great news for a lot of us :)
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    joe97"Let's wait and see how everything turns out, but if what has been shown so far is any indication of the direction Hyundai is taking, then this would be great news for a lot of us"

joe97 That is certainly great news! Based on the reaction to this concept and the constant chatter on various auto web communities that I frequent, this is a definite home run for Hyundai. I also firmly believe that this will bring Hyundai front and center stage with Honda, Nissan, and especially Toyota.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Heck it'll put them ahead of Honda and Toyota as they don' t offer any RWD affordable sporty cars at all.

-mike
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    ^+1
    Sweet!!

Can we change the name of this thread to Genesis coupe and also add Genesis and Genesis coupe to its linked directories:

EDIT:

here is the Genesis directory: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef14c39/?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscus- sions!make=Hyundai&model=Genesis

here is the Genesis coupe directory: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef14c39/?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscus- sions!make=Hyundai&model=Genesis%20Coupe
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Very nice. I'll definitely be checking this out.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Very cool video of the Genesis coupe introudction - buring the rubber:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/19/new-york-2008-hyundai-genesis-coupe-burning-r- ubber-w-video/

This discussion has been closed.