Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35

Comments

• sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    There is a fee associated with the RealTime traffic updates, but does anyone know if the fee is part of the monthly XM radio subscription - or is it a completely separate fee?

And yes, I agree - the RL should have a rearview camera. I'm perplexed it does not, because it's an option on other Acura vehicles and the RL is their flagship. . . Then again, I think the RL should also have cooled seats, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, and a compass!
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    There is a fee associated with the RealTime traffic updates, but does anyone know if the fee is part of the monthly XM radio subscription - or is it a completely separate fee?

It's an extra fee on top of your regular XM subscription price - either $1.95 or $2.95 per month sticks in my mind as the extra amount.

Then again, I think the RL should also have cooled seats, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, and a compass!

A friend has intelligent cruise control and he hates it - he says anytime a car changes lanes in front of him, it's like the brakes are slammed. As a result, he only uses it when there isn't much traffic, which is exactly the way I use my nonintelligent cruise control.

As far as lane departure warnings, from what I read they are very problematic due to old lane markings, contruction markings, etc. One reviewer said he turned his off after about 100 miles because the warning went off so often.
    the RL seems to be experiencing many more Bluetooth related problems than the M (Acura has already released one fix and according to forum chatter its not totally fixed yet).

The only Bluetooth related problems I've had were due to Verizon, not the RL. Several of the advertised functions on the RL wouldn't work with the Verizon phone since Verizon had required some functions to be disabled. However, I recently downloaded a program update for my phone and it now works very well.

To me the RearView Camera is a much more usefuil option than the NavTraffic.

I would tend to agree; however, I had the backup sensors installed and they work great. I'm not sure I'd find a camera that much more useful.
  • ricknyrickny Member Posts: 2
    My two week old RL has 1200 miles on it already.
    As I posted earlier decision was very very difficult. RL vs M35x.
    I chose RL. Why not M?
    Because for me RL is a little more luxurious, offers the same performance as M35x and offers great value(at $45,300).

BTW I get a lot of compliments from different people on my RL.

Please do not fight over which car is better, it's about which car is better for You.
    Good luck.
  • varixvarix Member Posts: 72
    I was as torn as everyone else here on which of these two cars to purchase (interesting that the GS doesn't have a thread comparing it to the RL and M35X, I never considered it after driving these two). I came down on the side of the M35X and bought one a few days ago as it just "felt" right for me. Just like the RL felt right for rickny. You just can't beat your gestalt about a car no matter how many reviews you read. The back up camera is great but I would've liked the traffic/nav system better, others see it just the opposite. I would hate to pay 50K or so for a car because others thought I should like it and then 2 years later I'm not happy. By then the critics have long gone on to other cars. I just can't imagine not being really pleased with my M35x in a few years as long as the workmansip holds up and I don't think that'll be a problem. Of course anything'll seem great after the miserable Volvo s80 I drove for 4 years, what a repair sponge! So glad to be out of that car...
    In summary you can't go wrong with either and if I had enough cash it'd be great to own both, wishful thinking! :)
    Got a message back from XM. It appears the Real time Traffic service is $9.95/month. . . not sure if everyone is aware of this!
    -------------------------
    "Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio.

We are happy to hear about your interest in XM's NavTraffic service!

The service is powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, a new product from NAVTEQ, the leading
    global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation systems. XM
    NavTraffic is the nation's first satellite traffic information service that
    enables a vehicle's on-board navigation system to display current traffic
    information for a driver's route. It is offered as a premium service.
    NavTraffic service is offered at $9.99 per month.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email
    or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO
    (800-967-2346). For commercial accounts please contact 1-888-689-2300 or email
    commercial@xmradio.com. "
    Got a message back from XM. It appears the Real time Traffic service is $9.95/month. . . not sure if everyone is aware of this!

It's only $9.95 per month if you don't have XM radio as well. If you have XM radio, the extra charge for NavTraffic is $3.99 per month. It was just increased from $2.95 per month.
    Nabraskiguy - I think you may be incorrect. It appears the price for the NAV-Traffic service from XM is $9.99, in addition to the std XM radio fee of $12.95. Please see below directly from XM. . .
    ----------------------

"We are sorry, but the NavTraffic service is not available at a discounted price,
    as we are unable to offer the package without a basic XM subscription first
    being applied to your radio. The monthly NavTraffic price is $9.99, plus the
    standard $12.95 monthly price for our basic XM service. Please let us know if
    you would like some further information.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email
    or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO
    (800-967-2346). For commercial accounts please contact 1-888-689-2300 or email
    commercial@xmradio.com. "
    Nabraskiguy - I think you may be incorrect. It appears the price for the NAV-Traffic service from XM is $9.99, in addition to the std XM radio fee of $12.95. Please see below directly from XM. . .

I don't know what to tell you, but I've now called XM three times, including just now, and all three times I was quoted a price of $3.99 per month on top of the $12.95 XM subscription price.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    About a month ago I was browsing the XM website and saw a $2.95 premium for Traffic above the normal $9.95 per month charge. I know that the basic service went up to $12.95 so apparently Traffic Premium went up as well.

I have yet to research OnStar - what is the monthly fee for that service?

Looks the the cost of actually using the RL's "technology" is going to be very expensive :surprise: I must say that the user fees involved with the RL's so-called advantage in the LPS market is moving me towards the M35.
    Looks the the cost of actually using the RL's "technology" is going to be very expensive I must say that the user fees involved with the RL's so-called advantage in the LPS market is moving me towards the M35.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The costs of using the technology on the RL are no different from its competition. Unless you're saying that something is available on the RL (NavTraffic?) that isn't available on the M35, your comment doesn't make sense. Even if that's what you're saying, so what - you simply make the decision to pay for the service, or don't pay for the service. At least you get it for one year without paying extra and you can reassess at the end of the year.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. The costs of using the technology on the RL are no different from its competition. Unless you're saying that something is available on the RL (NavTraffic?) that isn't available on the M35, your comment doesn't make sense. Even if that's what you're saying, so what - you simply make the decision to pay for the service, or don't pay for the service. At least you get it for one year without paying extra and you can reassess at the end of the year.

As an undecided shopper I eagerly read what folks have to say about both cars; pro and con. It seems to me (from the overwhelming majority of posts) that the RL's claim to fame so to speak (its technological edge) is the SH-AWD and the AcuraLink tie of RealTimeTraffic to the Navi (and the "related "OnStar" that not all LPS cars offer). What I am saying is that the RL's big pluses miss the mark with me. I have no NEED for RealTimeTraffic; although if it works perfectly then I guess it would be a nice "freebie." I also wonder if that is not hurting sales a little? I mean the RL's "marque" advantage is only available in 21 cities nationwide :blush: Nor do I have to have satelite radio; it wasn't very long ago that 6-Disc In-Dash CD players was the rage.

The comment makes sense to me; although I can afford an RL and can afford the software charges, I do not consider these options to be necessary for me - ESPECIALLY at $20+ per month (I still do not know how much OnStar costs). I can get an M35 loaded with what is important to me for less than the RL AND includes "essentials" not available as even an option on the RL (e.g. RearView Camera and Full Size Spare).
    Am I the only one bothered by monthly cable-TV like charges for your car? I have a cell phone with tons of minutes (as I am sure everyone else does); just what is the advantage of an OnStar subscription? And how much does it cost? I actually like my local radio stations, most of the time, and have lots of CDs for other times and trips. And it seems to me that RealTimeTraffic will NOT save me any real driving time where I live; at least not on a consistent routine basis to justify the cost!

I wonder how many people will actually renew these services after the trial period? I know that OnStar renewal rates are low. Clearly the RL is a great car with a lot of nice touches, but it also misses the mark on many important features standard elsewhere (e.g. RearView Camera and Ventilated Seats). What I meant by my earlier comment is that $20+ monthly charges for features not at the top of my critical list is causing this still undecided shopper to lean in another direction.
  • billinsobebillinsobe Member Posts: 47
    OnStar charges depend on what service level you want. They range in price depending on the options you get and the number of telephone minutes you want.

The RL comes with a year's worth of OnStar included.

Verizon has a deal with OnStar details can be found at http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/.
    Am I the only one bothered by monthly cable-TV like charges for your car? I have a cell phone with tons of minutes (as I am sure everyone else does); just what is the advantage of an OnStar subscription? And how much does it cost? I actually like my local radio stations, most of the time, and have lots of CDs for other times and trips. And it seems to me that RealTimeTraffic will NOT save me any real driving time where I live; at least not on a consistent routine basis to justify the cost!

I would never renew OnStar just for the cell phone functions. The emergency services, however, might get me to renew, though I'm not sure. I don't know the cost, but I believe just the emergency services is about $10 per month.

I like my local radio stations, as well. However, for trips I much prefer XM to CDs because of the wide variety as well as the comedy channels and the news stations. I often enjoy listening to types of music which aren't in my CD collection. On a recent road trip, we went from jazz to classic country to big band. We'd either have had to carry a lot of CDs along and changed them out, or just listened to the same six during the trip.

I don't plan to renew NavTraffic since my commute is all on city streets and I rarely encounter traffic problems that could be avoided by use of NavTraffic. However, if I had commutes like some of my coworkers that can vary from 45 minutes to two hours depending on accidents, etc., I can guarantee I'd have NavTraffic.
  • robertashrobertash Member Posts: 13
    A 2004 G35 is listed at $4000 less than a 2004 TL. That is based on a base vehicle. Equipped the same you would be $6000 less. In other words, Acura has a MUCH BETTER resale than the Infiniti. The M35 won't do any better. Base price $40M but $50M with same equipment. By the way, no one even mentioned that the RL has On Star and which isn't offred on the Infiniti. RL has approx 600 voice commands vs some 200 on M35
  • robertashrobertash Member Posts: 13
    They're all pink inside!
    On one of these forums there have been several posts regarding the backup camera on the M as opposed to the backup sensors available on the RL. I was talking to a coworker this morning and remembered he'd had both - backup sensors on his last BMW and backup camera on his FX. I asked him which he preferred. He said no contest - backup sensors. He said there are several problems with a backup camera:

1. You have to focus your attention on the screen instead of looking all around
    2. If you're parallel parking with a small, low car behind you, it's hard to tell when you get too close
    3. When it's raining, if your camera lens gets spattered, everything gets distorted

As a result, he said the only time he really depends on it is in our awful parking garage at work with all its pillars and other obstructions.
  • cbgcbg Member Posts: 13
    I've never tried backup sensors, but I really like the backup camera. My wife parks outside in the driveway and my M is in the garage. It's very easy for me to pull out in the morning without having to keep turning my head. Yes, you still need to look around you once to make sure nothing is coming from the side, but once you've done that the camera is very useful.

On the comments;
    1. Focus - yes you have to look at the backup camera screen. That's the point of the feature!
    2. I find the M camera to be excellent. I can see to the ground and it is accurate. I haven't had any problems telling how close I am to something.
    3. Haven't had any problems with rain, but suppose this could happen. Guess you would just have to wipe the lens off.
    1. Focus - yes you have to look at the backup camera screen. That's the point of the feature!

And that was my point - with a backup sensor you don't have to look at a screen. You can be looking around, paying attention to other drivers, etc., while still listening to the beeping.

3. Haven't had any problems with rain, but suppose this could happen. Guess you would just have to wipe the lens off.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd want to be doing - getting out in the rain to wipe off the lens so I could see.

But, I guess we've both ended up with what we want - you're happy with your camera and I'm happy with my backup sensors.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The perfect solution is to merge the 2. Why can't they have a backup camera that also beeps? :confuse:
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    The RL aced all of the crash tests and is considered not only one of the safest sedans but safest of any vehicle. I don't think the M has been tested yet but it does seem to have good supply of airbags and usual equipment for this class of car, along with the lane departure warning system (wonder how well it actually works?), but the information I have seen indicates that the M does not have available daylight running lights which are standard safety devices on nearly all fairly expensive cars now. Can the M be expected to as safe as the RL appears to be? Thanks.
    I don't think we will know for sure until it is tested; and I hope it is soon. I too am interested in the M crash tests results.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Neither the 2005 RL or the 2006 M have yet to be tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. See http://www.highwaysafety.org. The IIHS 40mph offset and side impact tests are the definitive tests. The RL aced the NHTSA (US govt) crash tests, and Acura has already stated that they expect the RL to also excel in the IIHS tests, when completed.

The new A4 was just tested by IIHS, and it received the highest scores possible. Way to go, Audi.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I read this entire forum and one person said the M was both noisier and stiffer than the RL. I have an 04 LS430 and am bored with it. The M Premium has all the right toys plus some. Can anyone share their experience concern the M's cabin sound levels.
  • maohaomaohao Member Posts: 5
    I tested drove the M35 last weekend, the M is more noiser than the RL, also the ride is not as isolated. The fit and finish is flawless. I prefere the RL because it is soft ride and little quite. But the RL doesn't have back up camera, and doesn't have the intel cruise. also, you can't get V8 with RL. I also test drove the q 45, it is so quite, but little isolated.I don't know about the M45 though, but from Car and driver test, the noise level is about 2-4 db more on M45 than RL.
  • varixvarix Member Posts: 72
    I have been driving my M35X/premium option pkg for about 3 weeks now and I do believe it is a bit 'noisier' than the RL I test drove twice a few weeks ago but in a very interesting way. It is a bit of the engines growl, or purr if you prefer, that you hear and I find it pleasant. I guess if you want isolation from the fact that you are driving get a soft suspended, well-damped car and one with tremendous sound insulation. My old Volvo s80 was very quiet but I prefer the hum of my M35x. I think the M35x has the perfect amount of visceral input that makes it a joy to drive. I like to turn off the audio and just listen to the car sometimes. It's that intriguing. I still get up in the morning in eager anticipation of driving it to work and look for excuses to start it up and drive somewhere..but this is such an individual thing I can't possibly speak for others on this issue... but I do love driving this car, sounds and all.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Update---IIHS has just completed the offset front crash test for the 2005 RL, and the car received it's highest "Best Pick" rating. Side impact and bumper tests have not yet been completed on this car, but the RL delivered top marks in the key frontal crash test.

No test completed yet on the Infiniti M.

Go to link titlefor more details.
    The excitement of the new Ms body style, along with the beautiful brochure layout had me convinced that the M would be my next purchase. I've been pondering the decision for a month now. Throughout the last month I've seen and test drove the M and the RL - twice. And while I still really like the Ms new design, I've done an about-face. . .

The RL: The RL is definitely quieter, the seats are the best I've experienced, the fit and finish is absolutely perfect, the dash is exciting - both day and night (I really like the displays under the speedometer and above the NAV screen, which shows wheel torque ratios, and many other items that are only displayed on the NAV screen of the M). And the SH-all wheel drive feels like the car is on rails. I was really impressed with the way this car drive!

M: The 1st M35x I viewed in the show-room had some padding sticking out from where the passenger side dash board met the center console. The fit and finish is good, just not at the same level as the RL. The seats are too firm - similar the the Acura TL, and the ride is much stiffer - giving more road noise and vibration. I really don't care for the orange dash lighting system either. I'm afraid I'll get tired of the car in a year because of the dash.

I think the new style of the M will be hot for a year, but after that the most important features will be the interior amenities and ride quality. My feeling is that the RL wins on both.

Sounds like I've made up my mind. I'm still shocked that it turned out this way. But I hope this helps others in their decision. . .
  • derickderick Member Posts: 3
    I was in the exact same quandry for what seemed lile the longest time. After reading brochures, forum posts, magazine reviews, etc, etc. I really thought that an M35x would be my next car -especially since I currently drive an FX45. In that frame of mind, I went for a test drive and my overall reaction was disappointment. I really wanted to like the M but it just didnt 'fit' - didnt like the intrusive engine/road noise, the layout of the controls, the high rpm at cruising speeds and the overall feel of the cabin. Next, I test drove an RL - what a difference ! I felt at home in the car, it was quieter, rode better and had handling equal to the M. The Nav is far superior as is the overall fit and finish. The M will win the stop light drag but I dont care. I did like the backup camera and the cooled seats on the M but I need more than that to persuade me to part with $43k. Anyway, I am taking delivery of a Lakeshore Silver RL on Monday. :)
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    My experience in shopping around, is that Acura interiors are superior to Infinity no matter what class of car you are buying.
    "I did like the backup camera and the cooled seats on the M but I need more than that to persuade me to part with $43k."

Derick - Funny you mention that, because those were also the factors I liked about the M, but I agree that everything else considered the RL won my business. I too picked up an RL last week - Lakeshore / taupe! What a great car. I'm sure I made the right decision! Paid invoice for the car - couldn't do better at any local dealers - still I'm thrilled with the price. . .
    It does seem that Acura dealers, are willing to bargain.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi timny, welcome!

Rather than divert this comparo, it would be best if we talked this over with you in a separate discussion. I created one for you and move your post to it. Hop over to Acura RL vs. Acura TL to continue.

Have fun!
    I agree, oh man, I just agreed with myself! :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    frisco, my friend, I think you need to get back on the medication! :P ;)
  • robin_robin_ Member Posts: 11
    I've had two test rides in the RL and half a test ride in the M35x. (Regular Infinity Salesman on vacation, and didn't want to get "re-involved" with somebody new.) I tend to like the tech features on the M slightly more... rear camera, intelligent cruise control, cooled seats, etc. Also, the M definitively has more spunk to it. In technical terms, I guess that might be defined as "low end torque", but it's the "spunk" that makes it fun to drive. I am betting that after my thorough test ride of the M, it will be the winner in my book. Jury is still out, at the moment.

Here are two comparisons that I have not yet seen mentioned in the forum....

1. If you are big, or tall (or both, as I am), the M is definitely the more comfortable car. It has a "skosh" more room, as they used to say on those jeans commercials. If you are a larger than average person, a skosh can mean a lot. (Also means a lot to the rear seat passenger who rides behind you.)

2. For those who sometimes venture our without fastening your seat belt, the M does NOT constantly complain by ringing bells at you when you do that, as the RL does. (I know that's really a bad thing. Please hold the seat-belt lectures. ;) )

Robin
    >> RL has approx 600 voice commands vs some 200 on M35 <<

Even 200 "seems" like a lot. What kinds of things can you contol with the voice on the RL that you cannot on the Infinity M? :confuse:
    I still get up in the morning in eager anticipation of driving it to work

In truth, you must like both your car AND your job. :)
    Paid invoice for the car - couldn't do better at any local dealers

Derick, how did you do that? Did you use an internet buying service, rather than a local dealer? If so, which one? :confuse:
    No, if I disagreed with myself, then I am in trouble! ;)
    My friend got the new RL because he liked his old RL. He didn't even look at any other cars. I was very impressed with it, but ended up getting the M35x. Yes, the M has more engine noise. That is by design. You have to like it. I think the M a lot more fun to drive than the RL. I don't know why. I also really wanted laser cruise and the backup camera. Seats in both cars excellent. Of course the M's rear DVD player and mess of rear buttons for seat adjustment, audio control is a nice feature. It was a good gimic on Infiniti's part to call the car a MY 2006. That way the residuals are high and they don't have to make any changes for a long time. I prefer the M's interior over the RL. Both cars have excellent fit and finish. Neither is as good as the Lexus LS. The RL gets about 2mpg better mileage. Now that I would like!
    Yes, the M has more engine noise. That is by design.

Yes Infiniti's are loud on purpose, I like the roar!!! :P
  • jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    #103 of 148 Real Time Traffic Option - Does It Work? by cj64 Jun 03, 2005 (1:42 am)
    I am right in the middle of comparing these two cars. I have test driven them and the performance in both cars is fine for my needs. The one option the RL has over the M is Real Time Traffic with the Nav system. I haven't read much on this list about this option It seemed VERY impressive and useful to me during my test drive. The M does not have this option. Does anyone have experience with this and can help me in my decision?

Also, I'm interested in the Bluetooth cell phone function, which both cars have, but has one maker perfected it more than the other?
    Thanks, in advance, for your help and insights.

I have the M35X and the bluetooth works great with my Motorola V710. The voice dial is excellent and so is the voice clarity. People do not know you are on a hands free system. The voice comming back at you are a little on the bass side but very understandable. Perhaps there is an adjustment but it has not been an issue so I have not really explored it. So far just enjoying the car and the BT is very conveniert. No more things in my ears!
    I am right in the middle of comparing these two cars ... I have the M35X and ...

Uh you have an M35x and are still comparing cars :blush: I am fairly familiar with the NavTraffic feature and in my opinion it would not be decision maker. I could take it or leave it - I could not imagine taking a bath on unloading a new M35x just for NavTraffic :confuse:

Reading some of the other RL forums NavTraffic has been hit or miss with a lot of folks; some like it, some hate it. There are folks complaining about its accuracy and usefulness.
  • ivankivank Member Posts: 3
    I'll probably agree with the earlier reply. That this feature should not be a make or break deal. However, I had previously thought that this made such an extreme difference, I went through a rigourous examination of the three nav systems. The US Infiniti Nav, the Acura Real time Nav and the new Lexus Nav on the '06 GS300. I'll limit this to the first two as that's what seems to matter.

Voice Commands: None are what I'd say great because it still has big issues and understands only 75% of the time. At some point, I think the user begins to figure out how the system wishes you to pronounce the word and how long the pause between the words in the command. Someday, I hope the recognition gets better, but to say one is better over the other is a misnomer in my opinion.

Real Time Traffic NAV vs. NAV system: The Real Time Nav has the same traffic flow indicator as what you see on the internet map systems such as the yahoo website. It gives three distinct degrees of traffic along highways and major roads for most big cities. Normal Flow, Slow Flow, and Hell No Flow. It does explain of both directions and more importantly where there are accidents. However, the Acura system cannot determine and calculate the best route possible due to traffic flow. This is too difficult a calculation at this point. But certainly for me, one of the biggesst reasons for a real time Nav system is to tell the user how to find the "best" path. Which it doesn't. The crazy thing is, from what I've been told Nissan has a model in Japan which is real time that does have a feature that does perform this calculation. Why they don't bring this to the states is beyond me, but perhaps it is also newer and they'd prefer to test it over in Japan first. The RL system certainly is more useful but the amount of practicality for me is significantly diluted until it can find you the best route due to traffic conditions. And yes, the RL has more voice commands. Will people use all of them...completely subjective.

Accuracy: For all purposes, accuracy for both systems are right on. It doesn't mean it doesn't make mistakes. But I'd be hard pressed to say that it doesn't work. Especially for major metropolitan areas. When out in less populated regions, I think the misses may begin to mount, but I'd have to expect a bit of that since the companies are in it for the majority of individuals which will always suck for the minority users out there in less populated regions.

Ease of Use:
    I'm probably a bit biased here, because I like having touch screens. I really hated the fact that Acura decided to have a non touch screen. In fact, Acura tried to put the Nav system higher up and closer to the windshield. Which irks me b/c I think touch screens made it much easier to navigate. This is entirely subjective. The dial is certainly easy enough to use. For the Infiniti, the buttons are somewhat small but also intuitive. It allows you to use the turn ring as well, but as I said, why the buttons? Drop the buttons and spend it on something else I'd say. It would look cleaner and you can make the back button bigger.

The little things: I still think auto makers need to find a way to block out that sun better. I mean it all works but night and day visibility really is like day and night so to speak.

I do think the RL is a bit better. But then I do believe that Acura put a lot more attention to this feature. Is it enough to make a call? Not unless you;re a gadget freak like I am.

I myself would see how well it interacts with the car and overall feel. I like that the RL is quieter so I can hear the Nav system better. However, on the Infiniti M35 sport, the aluminum trim works much better. Not a wood trim type of guy. In the end? I chose the RL. But I do think the aluminum trim works much better for me. Only in the M35 Sport of course. Maybe this doesn't help you out, but this is why I said from the get go. The Nav system really is not a deal breaker in my mind. Even for a gadget fiend like myself.
    Good Luck!
  • scriderscrider Member Posts: 7
    I have started the process of choosing between the M35 and the RL and, after reading pages and pages of posts on multiple forums, I must admit that I am not much closer to a decision than I was before I started. Obviously I plan to test drive both cars but the question I have will likely not be answered in my test drive.

I currently have a 1995 Lexus SC - the best car ever made under 50K. I love this car and I would own another one if Lexus had not screwed up the design in 2001. It is a rear wheel drive car (as is all the cars I have owned over the past 20 years) and, with the traction control, I have NEVER had any issues with it in the Illinois winters.

After 121,000 happy miles - I think it is time for a change!

Does anyone have any practical experience with the RL, M35x, and M35 in bad weather. Is the AWD on these cars that good or is the RWD really that bad?

Damn Drought - If it ever rains here I am running out to take my test drives!
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Only RL owners can answer the bad weather question. The M didn't really arrive in time to test it for the winter. While I am sure you are aware of it, the M35x is AWD on demand, but otherwise operates as a RWD car. The only real penalty is the extra weight. I believe the RL is normally a 70/30 FW/RW bias, with the ability to change up to 70/30 (and then up to 70% of that 70% RWD power going to the outside wheel on turns--49% of all power).

The M goes no more that 50/50 RWD/FWD, but continuously variable from 100/0 to 50/50 RWD/FWD.

There are more advantages to an AWD car than simple bad-weather driving, though. Most will say handling improves in all conditions.
    My friend at work has the RL and I have the M35x. We both wanted AWD for the occassional snow day in Chicago. We live and work in the burbs, so traffic isn't really an issue. The system does work, but he won't be renewing the extra money for it when the free year runs out. We haven't had any winter experience, but I suspect both cars will be more than safe. The RL is full time AWD and runs normally at 50/50. The design is was to turn a FWD car into an AWD. It also can vary power side to side. Pretty slick and I would guess has the edge in snow and ice. The M is a RWD car that when conditions dictate the need will shift power to the front. Serious drivers prefer RWD for better handling on dry roads. But most of us don't drive hard enough to tell the difference. I will say that the RL gets about 2.5 more MPG in combined traffic and even better on the highway.
    It does seem that Acuras get great milage for the size of engine. :)
This discussion has been closed.