Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
It's more modern than ever before, but doesn't lose its retro appeal. Join us for a sneak peek at the upcoming PT Cruiser.

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Compact Wagon

Comments

• charlesf1charlesf1 Member Posts: 52
    I noticed Chrysler still doesn't want the side view mirrors the same color as the rest of the car.
  • redturboboyredturboboy Member Posts: 25
    GT will have 230 hp. How much power do you want? a 1000 hp!
  • ptjunkyptjunky Member Posts: 2
    I think 230 HP is plenty for the size of the PT. I am not to fond of the new split grill design with no grill below the bumper and not to crazy about the dash either.
    what do you all think? :)
  • ptjunkyptjunky Member Posts: 2
    I have to also agree that Chrysler should step up and paint the mirrors on the PT,
    this would give it a more finished look since the bumpers are now painted to match the rest of the PT, unlike the early models that were released.
    On a side note I took my 04 GT back to the dealership and had them paint the side view mirrors to match and total cost was under 300.00 and it makes a huge difference in the look. :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I have found three other websites with much more detailed information - membership rules prevent me from posting the links - but I am surprised Edmunds isn't equally up to date (they usually are the leader). :surprise:

Two surprising bits of information: Chrysler claims much improved sound proofing (I had one and thought it was already pretty good) lowering the noise in the cabin by 5 db, which is great; and they are promising to match Chevy's new HHR on pricing. We'll have to see about the pricing, because Chevy is now toying with the idea of pricing their cars to market, instead of pricing them high and then rebating them heavily.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    That the HHR starts around 15k. Am I correct? I also believe that the HHR and Cobalt won't take price slashes because GM believes that the HHR will be a hot seller.
    15,999, so even a weak negotiator won't get hammered, if they keep their eye on their trade-in.

My guess is that Chevy wants to revert to the old model of "tough negotiators will get a grand off, once in a while we'll throw out a special rebate of a grand or so, but not too often." The cycle of rebates is messing up everyone - it makes the cars look like they depreciate too fast, because the ALG and other guides report resale values compared to MSRP, not to actual selling prices, etc., plus in California at least we have to pay sales tax on the "price before rebate" so it is better to buy a lower MSRP or discounted car, than a rebated car.

I don't think either car is a "hot" seller but in the beginning they run the assembly lines slowly to ensure quality, and there are enough buyers who want novelty that there is no need to discount until they ramp up productio and the eager buyers are replaced by more routine buyers. The Mustang and the Chrysler 300 are "hot" sellers.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    HHR has more standard equipment, including Air and I think ABS, and other stuff, so the $15K is pretty fair. Will be interesting to see what the gas mileage is, and if it looks as good. It may lack charm - who knows. It will be out soon.

The new front look on the PT could prove to be a marketing disaster.

Loren
  • robmanrobman Member Posts: 7
    I prefer the current dash and grille (2003 Limited owner prejudice?) but applaud the efforts towards reduced cabin noise. The Chevy is hideous and may find this retro-delivery van market to be pretty tapped out.

In the intended market the PT Cruiser has no competition. Chevy came too late with too little...
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that the HHR looks deplorable.
    They did copy a lot of the PT features in the HHR. I have seen the little beast, and it is OK. Really not as cool as the PT though. Sort of like a shrunk down old Suburban, but that is what they wanted. IF GM was smart they would make a little truck version of the HHR. In a truck, the front would look pretty cool, and they could sell them as pairs. One of each in every driveway. The PT looks fine the way it is today. Changing the grill to stop at the top of the bumper line, and changing the dash is just sooooo wrong. Sure upgrading the sound proofing is a good idea. To have a broader hood is good for access, but will it change the look. The PT has a lot of good functional attributes, but least we forget, a lot of the appeal is still in the look. Some say Chrysler Air Flow, while others say '39 Ford, or just look at the gangster car or whiskey runner car when they first view the car. Why change that? The Chevy people say it was modeled after the Suburban. Hummmm? Guess it missed the mark. Looks better than that! The new HHR will siphon off some buyers that would possibly have bought the PT, but I hope the new PT 2006 changes are not doing even more harm. Here is an interesting note: The optional engine in the HHR requires premium gas, has more HP than the base PT, but 3 # less torque than the base PT. I bought the base PT with a stick, and it gets up and goes OK. I can see though in an automatic, it may be marginal. Anyway, the top HHR engine is 162# torque and our base engine is 165# torque.

Loren
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    When does it go on sale? After the Iacocca ads end?
    The new PT 2006? I think it could be as late as October.
    I like the 2005, so I bought the current design. New is said
    to be more quiet on the road. These are interesting cars. I
    have never sat so high in a car before. Must be like an SUV
    in respect to a driving position. Having fun just crusing, but
    within a few years, once again hear the call for sports car,
    RWD , driving fun. This PT makes a good primary and will
    make for a good second car as well. Sure can carry a lot of
    stuff! I got the stick, so it is still a little fun.... not a Miata, but
    fun in its own way to CRUISE in. - Loren
    You said, in part:

The optional engine in the HHR requires premium gas, has more HP than the base PT, but 3 # less torque than the base PT.

Auto manufacturers are in transition in the way the measure horsepower right now. There is a new SAE test that requires an independent witness. I believe the HHR numbers are in accordance with the new standard, but the PT Cruiser numbers are old numbers from years ago. Look for a possible change in the 2006 ratings.
  • rtimacrtimac Member Posts: 4
    I asked my local dealer how long it would be for delivery if I ordered an '06 PT Cruiser and he guessed about two months. Since I live in Michigan that would pretty much eliminate the convertible season for this summer, so I bought the '05 convertible turbo he had on the lot. What fun! I'm glad I didn't wait.

BTW, the dealer couldn't tell me how much the '06 would cost me. He said I'd have to order it and find out the cost when it arrived! Do you think it was a 'sales job' or do you think the dealers really don't know the costs of the new models yet? Hmm.
    I would imagine, if they are ordering cars, they would also know the pricing, but who knows. If Chrysler owns the cars, and not the dealer, then maybe a few buck here or there would mean nothing to them when ordering for next year.

You got the last of the original cool PT cars. Next year they are messing with the design in what I believe to be all the wrong ways. But that's only one man's opinion. Others may like the new PT better. These do not have the worlds best gas mileage, but they are fun and practical in other ways. I just bought a base PT with a stick. So far zero defects up to 2k +.

Loren
  • charlesf1charlesf1 Member Posts: 52
    I have seen several 06 Cruisers on car carriers going down the Fwy here in So. CA. I noticed one setting in the lot at a dealer in Whittier, CA today.
    I have seen an '06 convertible, which I assume is just like the hardtop for '06.
    I am not impressed at all. Glad to have bought the '05 recently. Don't like the
    new controls, the dash, the exterior changes on the new model. A step backwards.

Loren
  • rtimacrtimac Member Posts: 4
    Well, I went back to the dealer for my first oil change and they had two of the 2006 Cruisers in stock - a base model and a turbo. I am SO glad I bought my '05 when I did. Although the outside has minor cosmetic changes, the inside is totally redesigned. The one nice addition in my opinion are the analog clock. The dash has been redesigned to look just like any other Chrysler dash, the individual arm rests have been replaced with a single center console, and there is what others have called a 'towel rack' on top of the glove box. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you gotta wonder what they were thinking to 'modernize' the Cruiser like that. (One other minor change: there is no more remote door/trunk opener. It's now built into the key itself.)
    Well the 2005 is the last of the classic design, best of, PT Cruisers. They dropped the ball when they messed with the front of the car on the outside, and the dash, and other features on the inside. It was a good run. They are now giving the HHR more of a fighting chance. Oh well, don't shoot the messenger!

Loren
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Got to drive the '06 around the block today while my son's '04 was getting serviced. I think the interior changes are just fine, the materials seem a little higher quality than in his. Also seems to be a much quieter ride than the '04 - road noise is almost completely muted. Also like the fact that the dealer said he will sell an '06 for basically the exact same price as an '05 - still more supply thant demand.
  • davidscott15davidscott15 Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my 2002 Ford ZX2 for a 2006 PT. Much more storage and so far so good. The Marine Blue is a nice color IMHO..

Dave
  • cntrygurlcntrygurl Member Posts: 12
    i went to look at the hhr and the price on it was $18,000 i like my 06 pt cruiser better plus i had a 05 ion quad coupe 3 that was a lemon and fought with gm for 11 months to buy it back ,well now there buying it back ,and i told my husband i will never buy a gm vechile again they dont stand up for the customer when theres something wrong with the cars they make .........
  • ilmorilmor Member Posts: 8
    For the group's information, i just ordered, last week, a 2006 Convertible GT w/ the heated seats and Boston Acoustics options. Total price was $26,410 including the $2K rebate. Delivery time is 8 to 12 weeks.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    That $2000 is only for cars delivered by 2-28-06...not for ordered cars..I have a dealer who ordered for his stock a 2006 Rte. 66 edition back in early January and if I want the car I have to wait until March now and the rebates can change......No dealer is going to guarntee rebates on car that are not at his store........
    Be sure to check the oil every thousand miles. My car was down a quart at around 1,900 miles after the oil change. My car had less than 10K miles on it at the time. Going in on Monday to see how much it used this time, and what they say needs to be done to the car. I checked it this time at just under 1,000 miles, and I would say it looked like it was down about 3/8 or so on the stick. Will see what they say at the dealership on Monday. The stick is hard to get an exact read of, and the car could be slightly less than level, but one thing for sure, the first time it was down a quart, as I added a quart before they did the oil consumption test and oil change, and it was at that time less than full at 3,000 miles between the oil change. I am 90% sure something is really wrong here.

Decided to see if I could do a trade up, since this one may be a lemon ready to die an early death. Well I ......
    Tried to do a trade-in to get a 300, but they wanted to give me less than trade-in Kelly Book --- just great. Once you have a Chrysler, I guess they got you. Good bye Chrysler!
    First offer was $8,500 for my 2005 PT.

I know better. Never buy anything but Japan makes new, unless you are sure you can live with them for ten years. Well, maybe a Mustang or Corvette will have some resale, but forget the rest. Japan makes for resale is the only way to go.
    -Loren
    Follow up. Last test indicates no oil consumption, though it looks like it is down on stick to me. The worst was a quart down, though it could be due to shorting me on an oil change. In that case, it means sloppy service, but a good engine. I do hope the engine is A-OK. Sure looks like it used oil again, though they swear it shows full. At least with a good write-up, I am free to re-sell the car, as it passed the test. With little to no resale value, it won't be a Chrysler next time around though.

PT has its good points, and may be worth holding on to few years, or maybe even longer as a second run-around car.
    -Loren
    Just a couple of differences of opinion on the PT Cruiser.

First, on the oil consumption issue: it is not unusual for cars to use oil. I had a 2001 VW Golf which was fine in every respect except for using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Many owners reported up to one quart being consumed every 600 miles. Oil consumption is related principally to the manufacturer's philosophy about oil use - some, like VW, believe an engine should use measurable amounts of oil, or else the upper cylinder and valve guides are not getting proper lubrication.

In the old days lubricant companies even used to sell so-called "top end oils" which you would add to the gas (like a 2-stroke) to make sure the top cylinder and valve guides got some lubrication.

VW puts a robust catalytic converter in their cars, and isn't worried about early catalytic converter death due to scant use of precious metals - early death usually occuring due to oil burning off and trace metals in the oil additive package contaminating the converter.

Other manufacturers don't want the possible warranty expense on their converters, and build such tight tolerances that little measurable oil is used. The tolerances are so tight that 5-20 oil is required (as well as for fuel efficiency).

Second, PT Cruisers hold their value very well, with two caveats. You need to be careful for what you buy a new one for - they go on sale, and the used market price is clearly based on the discounted prices, not the MSRP. Second, the early PT used to be "novelty" vehicle and sold at full sticker (which was full indeed) or at a premium, so as the PT has become more plentiful (and taken for granted), and prices have come down, that affects the prices of all the used ones - even the ones bought by early adopters at a premium. That happens to every manufacturers' popular vehicles.

We got a great price on both our 2004 and 2006 PT's. When we traded in the 2004, it didn't seem like we got as much for the PT as for a Scion xA traded in at the same time - until we compared actual purchase prices to trade-in allowance, then the PT was doing fine (the dinky Scion xA cost us about $2,000 more than the PT of same year).

Where can you get a nicely equipped, solid, quiet vehicle with all the utility - and nice styling - of the PT for under $13k? They are a steal! I am really very appreciative that Chyrsler took the time, and spent the money, to make a mid-cycle product refresh (much better soundproofing, better standard equipment) this year, knowing that the PT would still need to be discounted heavily to compete with the Scion xB, the Honda Element, and the Chevy HHR.

It's a great time to be a PT owner. And it's shopping paradise for American car buyers. With rare exceptions, American cars are a bargain these days compared to imports, and the JD Powers and Consumer Reports indicate quality is certainly acceptable - the defects are measured in terms of 3-7 defects per 100 vehicles, which means it is more likely than not than most owners will have no defects at all, regardless of country of manufacture.

Sorry to go on. I have been buying way too many cars over the past 5 years (I was car-deprived before that, taking the bus in the city), and at first negative reports like yours would scare me off. Now I know that most people have positive experiences, and that these boards attract more complainers (who have legitimate gripes, in many cases) than pure fans (who are happy to just get on with their lives).
    Well if the dealership where you bought the car from will not give you the Kelly Blue Book for trade-in price on a deal for a more expensive 300 Touring auto, I assume that they don't value a PT or their customer too much now, do they? The car, eight months ago, was bought for around 13,600, and they wanted to give me $8,500 for it on a trade. This is much less than trade-in value. Low mileage and eight months old, the car is like new condition.

I will likely just keep adding a quart of oil between changes and keep the Chrysler until I get another brand of car. So far, only the noisy fan was replaced. Replaced with a fairly quiet one. Or I may keep the little guy as a second car for running around town and hauling and get another sports car some day for fun and travel. If the car is worth like $10K, there isn't too much to lose in keeping it. Keep it for five years of more, it will be a great investment, if the engine doesn't blow. Oh yeah, I have the 7 year plan on that - so tow the puppy!

The car is fun enough to drive, though the too high seat position makes it slightly awkward for shifting. Body and interior seem tight. Other than the engine, the car is pretty close to Japan quality.

I looked up Consumer Reports on the PT. Interesting that the engine reliability is acceptable, but less so than the first couple of years. Interesting.
    JD Powers indicates something it falling:
    Initial Quality Ratings (0-90 days) definition
    J.D. Power Overall 3 / 5
    J.D. Power Mechanical Quality 2 / 5
    J.D. Power Body & Interior Quality 2 / 5

2 out of 5 rating is less than previous years.

-Loren
    ..and may I add, a quart consumed per 2,000 to 3,000 miles I guess I can live with. As to VW using some much oil, I am aware of that. Sounds more like a problem to me. How do Japanese engines last for 2ooK or even 3ook miles and not suck oil like a VW does?

I will agree the price is low enough on a PT. Thank goodness for that. Would not want one for more than $14K.
    -Loren
    Well I checked it again. Appears to be using at a rate around a quart per 3000 miles. Hummm, not exactly Japan standards for 4 cylinder engines. And this time I stood there when the service rep. looked at the stick. Can not believe they said before that it was not going down, as it certainly was. Now it is just another inch along the way down.
    -Loren
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Does anyone have any info at to what changes are in store for the 2007 model?????
    No hard information, but my guess is that changes will be light since 2006 had a heavy update and the platform will apparently be migrating to the AWD capable Caliber platform for '08.

Changes that MIGHT happen: adding side air bags to more trim lines; folding the Limited and Touring into a single model - or ditching the base and having it go Touring, Limited, GT; adding more power equipment to the Base model if the trim lines are not condensed (but that makes it hard to use the Base model as a loss leader to get people out to Chrysler lots).

The upcoming major platform change makes it very unlikely we'll see more than a change in ordering options in '07. In '08, though, the sky could be the limit - the new engine series from the Caliber; a CVT transmission instead of a 4 speed, if the public accepts the CVT in the Caliber; possibly (but not likely) the availability of the 2.7 small v-6 in the PT (not likely since Chrysler has historically preferred the turbo route to the v-6 route, and the Caliber is coming out soon with a turbo version of its new 2.4); AWD; standard side curtain and side torso airbags; bigger wheels and tires, standard (think: Caliber).

In fact, I'd study the Caliber carefully, and assume that the mechanicals and features of the new Caliber will be an accurate guide to the mechanicals and features of the new PT.

The good news, is that the Caliber is "so" Dodge (the Ram front end, for example) that Chrysler needs a small vehicle of its own (the PT) so I don't think they will discontinue the PT. It WILL be interesting to see what they do with the rear suspension, since the suspension on the PT is expensive, but allows a very low trunk floor, while the Caliber has a high trunk floor (less efficient) but a better (in traditional thinking) handling style rear suspension.
    Thanks, micweb!!! :)
    I am interested in purchasing a 2006 PT Cruiser. Is there anyone out there that is a Chrysler employee that can share a discount I.D. number with me.
    I know GM employees get several employee friends of the family or GM driveway numbers to give out every month or so. Also Ford offers X-Plan pricing (all you do is join a Ford affiliate company (EAA for $40.00/year), and after one year of membership you become eligible for X-Plan pricing. I have purchased two Ford products this way. Also,several years ago, I received a GM Driveway Number from someone in one of the GM forums. It saved me some dealer advertising fees and was below invoice pricing.All they did was email me the GM discount #.Plus, I want to get rid of my Cobalt.
    I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this...but....if anyone out there can help out, my Email is lised...just click in my nortsr1.
    Thanks in advance (just in case)
    If the PT did come with a CVT transmission, would you buy it? I see that the Altima for 2007 will have that type of tranny. This is to help with gas mileage? 2007 PT I assume will be almost the same as the 2006. I see there is talk here about a V6. Would even the smallest one fit? Seems like the big four banger is sort of stuffed in there.

The four is kinda ruff, but it gets the job done. My car seemed to be using oil, but perhaps that consumption is slowing now. At around 12K miles on the car, I think the consumption is around a 1/2 Qt, per 3000 miles. I panicked too soon, when it appeared to be using more oil. While perhaps not Japan engine quality, I guess it is better than I gave it credit for earlier on. Noisy somewhat, but it is suppose to be an old time kinda car. And I assume, since the 2006 model is more quiet inside, you hear less of the engine thrashing around.

Anyway, I think the engine is using less oil now, or my eyes are seeing the stick differently. Could be the engine needed more miles to break in, though I am told there really is no break in period. Oh well, will keep ya posted one way or another on oil consumption. Perhaps all is well now.

While I still prefer some things about the first interior and exterior, the new PT having less road noise on the highway would be a plus. I hope they lower the seats an inch or two. I can barely swing that clutch in all the way. I am short, but not short. :shades: For an automatic, perhaps it matters less.
    -Loren
    A stick shift owner! Congratulations, they are as rare as hen's teeth in the Base and Touring models. And never go on sale for the ridiculously low prices we've been seeing in northern California for Base models with automatics. (From a low of 11k to a high of 12.7k!).

I think the DOHC engine in the PT is pretty neat. It has a lot of torque and decent power (150 hp, which isn't THAT impressive these days, but 165 lb-ft of torque, which IS). Our 2006 really moves out. Of course, the gas mileage isn't great, but it isn't much worse than the new Caliber which is reportedly something of a turtle despite all the new bells and whistles (variable valve timing) in the new engine. Personally, other than the variable valve timing, I think a lot of the design work in the new generation engines was to make them easier and cheaper to manufacture and to make them easier adapt to forced air induction.

A half quart per 3,000 miles is pretty low consumption. Of course I used to own VW's. If you change the oil every 3,000 miles anyway (always a good idea, since it IS a high output engine crammed into a tiny - hot - engine compartment) you'll never really need to top it off.

Keep us posted, have fun!
    I posted this on the Rebates and Incentives forum but thought I might post it here, also, as some of you might be interested. The Detroit Auto News and Phila. Inquirer reported that Chrysler will announce Employee Discount Pricing and a 30 day moneyback garuntee (sometime next week) and GM will follow with 0%-60 month financing.
    Looks like Saturday, July 1st is the announcement of the Employee pricing program and the 30 day return policy. The 30 day return policy has some drawbacks...a 5% return loss, a mileage penalty,... and... possible auction price if car doesnt sell???
    The new "Employee Pricing" for the PT is a big "JOKE"..... Before Employee pricing there was a $1500.00 rebate and a $500.00 mfg.to dealer incentive and I received two quotes for a price of $2000.00 UNDER INVOICE...now....with Employee pricing and the Employee price and the new "$500.00 rebate.....you end up paying almost 1000.00 MORE than before..Figure that one out.
    I was all set to purchase a 2006 PT Limited and when I read several days ago about Chrysler coming out with "Employee Pricing" I figured that it would pay me to wait....Wrong decision....so now I will just wait until the Employee pricing is discontinued on July 31st and HOPE that Chrysler goes back to the PREVIOUS rebate incentive plan.
    When I spoke to the salesperson at the dealership yesterday....he actually agreed with me, that, in fact,it now does cost more to purchase a PT... because...when Emp[loyee pricing is in effect, they have to sell at THAT set price from the mfg. and cannot change that price.
    Well, NORTSR, you will just have to wait it out...Better luck next time.
  • charlesf4charlesf4 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone heard what changes are coming on the 2007 Cruiser? They should be at the dealers soon.
    Ihave read at another forum that a special stainproof, better cloth will be standard on the 2007 Limited and optional for the Touring model. Also, three new colors (but I forget what colors) and finally a remote added for the trunk area. That's all I know for now. Other than that, it is supposed to be no different than the 2006
    That's miles per person. We have all acknowledged the PT Cruiser's mileage isn't what we want it to be (with an EPA highway rating of only 26, most of us are lucky to get 23/24) - but after taking it to Yosemite with one other adult and 2 small kids and a lot of gear, and after using it almost exclusively as the weekend "family" car, I have realized that it DOES get good MPP - miles per person.

There is no way I could shuttle my little family around in a Ford Focus, which is lighter, with a smaller engine, and gets better gas mileage (especially good for 2007). Not even in a Focus Wagon -- the seating position is lower, with resulting less rear seat legroom than the PT.

At least the PT gets better gas mileage than a typical minivan or small SUV (although I will admit that the Honda CR-V we had before did get 3 mpg better gas mileage, but we all got tired of its harsh ride).

So while the PT isn't the ideal single commuter vehicle, it is GREAT for family use. (I will, however, reconsider this if the kids start getting a LOT bigger.) In fact, I think it has one of the better MPP around!
  • lookingforh3lookingforh3 Member Posts: 6
    Did you ever get the EC or FFP discount number? If so, where can I get one? I am looking to lease a new Chrysler.
    Thank you,
    Kelly
    Kelly,
    No, no one volunteered their assistance. I did, however, purchase a new 2006 PT Cruiser, Limited at invoice, less the $2000.00 rebate and NO added dealer costs, plus it already had been pin-striped, etc. and those costs were also deleted. Just remember, when leasing, negotiate your best "bottom line price and don't forget those BIG rebates that Chrysler is now offering. The 2006 models are "plentiful" and the dealers want to "UNLOAD" them!
    If you are not good at negotiating and do not know th "ins and outs" of a good lease deal....MAKE SURE you take someone with you that knows leasing. At least go to the lease forum and read the posts and "how to negotiate a lease"!!!!
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    Hi, I am looking into a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible with an MSRP of $21,945. Options include the 28E Package and Automatic Transmission. Standard Black paint.
    This is in snowy NE Ohio and an 06, so I am sure that they would love to get rid of this unit.
    According to Edmunds' TMV Pricing Report the...
    TMV -------------------> $18,230
    Chrysler Mailed Rebate-> -$1,000
    Chrysler Dealer Rebate-> $3,500
    Total------------------> $13,730
    That total amount can't be right..can it?
    Somebody please give me some insight asap
    Thanks, mranton89
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    My friend is thinking seriously of buying a used (off lease ex rental) 2006 PT Cruiser w/ 14000 miles on it from a local Chrysler dealer. They are asking $12,900 (a Touring model). What, if anything should we look out for when it comes to ex-rental cars? The car looks pristine. It is equipped with Sirius sattelite radio. What would be a good offer on a car like this? Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a little afraid of used cars, but that's just me.
  • kaity04kaity04 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone.

I have a 2003 pt cruiser that has had three water pumps replaced since new. Thank goodness under warranty. After the last one was put in, about 5 months later, the car gives off this Pancake Syrup Smell when the heat/ac/defrost is on. Any suggestions.? The car has been checked out twice. No leaks, the last time the dealership told me to pressure wash the exhaust manifold. Doubt that will help.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Sounds like coolant is getting into the heater core probably.

Coolant has kind of a sweet smell to it.
  • kandakernskandakerns Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyway possible to start my car without the factory key I got when I first bought it? I lost my key 2 months ago and am really hoping there's something I can do to the actual car itself to make it start with a copy key I had made before I lost the original. Hope this makes sense. Thanks!