Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrids Success in the Marketplace - Hybrid Sales Numbers

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Prius: 8,008 - best November sales ever
    TCH: 3,100 - up about 300 cars from October
    RX400h - 1,327 - up almost a hundred from October
    HiHy: 1,667 - up slightly over October
    gs450h - lumped with gs430, sold 196 total - up about 20 cars from October
    Civic Hybrid - 2,208, slightly lower than October
    Accord Hybrid - 311 - up slightly over October
    Insight - only 2 cars sold - they hardly have any left !!

Can find no numbers for the saturn vue hybrid or the Ford Escape/mercury Mariner hybrids yet.

So the jury is still out on what effect the end of the tax breaks and the slightly higher gas prices will have on Hybrid sales in the USA. Seems like more were up than down, so I guess so far you have to say the effect has been minimal at most.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Honda is coming out with a Hybrid Fit next year to effectively replace the insight, and there's a Camry hybrid and Corolla as well, plus I can't imagine Mazda and Nissan won't get into the market very shortly as well. The Altima with that CVT is almost made for a quick conversion.

GM and Ford? Their idea is to stick a bunch of batteries in a pickup truck or van. No desire at all.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    GM and Ford? Their idea is to stick a bunch of batteries in a pickup truck or van. No desire at all.

Being the owner of a GMC Hybrid I will agree that the first hybrids from GM are not much to write home about. I think that Ford made an effort with the Escape and Mariner. Now GM is offering the Saturn Vue. The SUV hybrids are aimed at mainstream buyers. I would take your comments as negative toward US manufacturers.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Well, duh! :P

Whats NOT to be negative about the way Ford and GM have done business the past two decades?

It is going to take them a really long time to dig themselves out, Gary. I know they can, but you don't overcome years of suspicion and mistreatment by bringing out a few years of good product....
    I'm not a big Ford fan. But in fairness their hybrid SUV is more economical than the Toyota offering. Isn't that the main reason for the hybrids. I just believe in giving credit when it is due. I was responding to a post that claimed GM & Ford were doing nothing.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Well, I am an odd duck, I understand, but I don't think the main purpose of Hybrids is to be economical, although I will give you many initial buyers latched onto them for that reason. I think that acutally surprised the designers.

I think the main purpose of Hybrids is to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, and to lessen emissions. :)
    Total hybrids sold in 2006 in the USA:

Slightly more than 251,000 units—an increase of 22% compared to 2005.

I guess the hybrid "revolution" goes forward, eh doubters? :shades: Not a :lemon: in the bunch !!!
    A couple of years ago, Gary and I were discussing whether or not hybrids would "survive" and I was saying how many upcoming hybrids there were. He was somewhat doubtful.

Here is the current list:

* Ford Escape 2WD Hybrid Model Year 2008
    * Mercury Mariner 2WD Hybrid Model Year 2008
    * Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid Model Year 2008
    * Mercury Mariner 4WD Hybrid Model year 2008
    * Chevrolet Silverado 2WD Hybrid Pickup Truck
    * Chevrolet Silverado 4WD Hybrid Pickup Truck
    * Ford Escape Hybrid 2WD
    * Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD
    * GMC Sierra 2WD Hybrid Pickup Truck
    * GMC Sierra 4WD Hybrid Pickup Truck
    * Honda Accord Hybrid AT
    * Honda Civic Hybrid CVT
    * Lexus GS 450h
    * Lexus RX 400h 2WD and 4WD
    * Nissan Altima Hybrid
    * Saturn Aura Hybrid
    * Saturn Vue Green Line
    * Toyota Camry Hybrid
    * Toyota Prius
    * Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2WD and 4WD

That's 14 vehicles. Seems like a success so far. 2007 will be a record year again since gas prices at skyrocketing again.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a weekend news program is looking to interview consumers in the Los Angeles area who are interested in purchasing a hybrid. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 22, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
    Toyota Hybrids still doing VERY WELL, thanks much !!

Toyota Division
    Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever March sales of 121,881, up 13.6 percent over the same period last year. Passenger car sales were led by Camry, which posted March sales of 42,254, up 4.5 percent over the same period last year. Camry Hybrid reported sales of 5,144 units in March. The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted all-time best-ever monthly sales for the second consecutive month with 19,156 units sold, an increase of 133.2 percent. Corolla reported best-ever March sales of 34,355, an increase of 2.5 percent. The Yaris subcompact posted sales totaling 7,614 units for the month.

March Sales Toyota
    Four recent Google News articles from OK, IN, VT, and NE talking to car salesmen saying "hybrids are flying off the lot."

Hybrid sales up 86% over 2006 numbers so far.

LOOKING GOOT !!!!
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Hybrid sales for May-2007 have touched 44,274 without counting Nissan and GM. Its an all time record and roughly 3 % + share of overall US auto market.

Prius 24,009
    Camry-H 6,853
    Highlander-H 3,312

RX400h 1,746
    GS450h 181
    Toyota Total 36,101

Civic-H 4,520
    Accord-H 439
    Honda Total 4,959

Escape 2,680
    Mariner 534
    Ford Total 3,214

Grand Total 44,274

Also the Crossovers continue to climb and SUV's continue to fall. 7 years ago, Crossovers had similar share of what Hybrids have today and now they outsell Truck based SUV's

So in another 7 years, will the Hybrids capture 12 % share of American market ?.
    Thanks for the info - I was looking for that data !!

Go Go Hybrids !!!
    Million with an M

JAPAN: Cumulative Toyota hybrid sales reach a million units

7 June 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Toyota has announced that global cumulative sales of Toyota hybrid vehicles have topped the 1 million mark, with approximately 1,047,000 units sold worldwide as of May 31, 2007.

Toyota launched the Prius — the world's first mass-produced hybrid vehicle — in Japan in 1997 and began selling it in North America, Europe and elsewhere in 2000.

The second-generation Prius, equipped with the Toyota Hybrid System II, was introduced in 2003 with an emphasis on delivering both environmental performance and power. Over time, Toyota has expanded the use of its hybrid system to minivans, SUVs, rear-wheel-drive sedans and other vehicles.

Toyota began overseas production of hybrid vehicles in Changchun, China in 2005 and in Kentucky in the United States in 2006.

Toyota says that as of April 30, 2007, worldwide sales of its hybrid vehicles since 1997 have greatly contributed to reductions in CO2 emissions, which are considered a cause of global warming, by producing approximately 3.5 million fewer tons of CO2 compared with the same class gasoline-powered vehicles of similar size and driving performance.

Toyota says it aims to double its hybrid lineup and achieve annual sales of one million units in the early part of the 2010s.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid reported sales of 5,530 units in June. The Toyota Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever June sales of 17,756, an increase of 76.3 percent over June 2006.

TMS Hybrids

TMS first-half hybrid sales totaled 146,536 units, an increase of 69 percent over the same period last year. In June, TMS posted sales of 27,382 hybrid vehicles, up 46 percent over last June. Toyota Division posted sales of 25,689 hybrids, up 48 percent over the same period last year. Lexus Division posted sales of 1,693 hybrids, an increase of 15 percent over last June.

Keep on Hybridizing America!!!
  • 1stpik1stpik Member Posts: 495
    This is why people buy hybrids:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

70/30 hwy/city miles

65 mph highway speed

100% a/c use (Texas)

36 psi tires

In other words, this is a real world number, not the result of over-inflated tires, wimpy top speed or a sweaty driver saving a few mpg by turning off the a/c.

The more people see how efficient these cars are, the more people buy them.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The more people see how efficient these cars are, the more people buy them."

Did you mean to post everything except the MPG?
    Hybrids now 2.5% of US Sales market

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
    Hybrid Penetration.

According to a report from PIN Insights,
    published by Power Information Network, a division of J.D. Power and Associates, hybrid penetration has increased by one-third from a last year, up to 2.5%. Toyota has the largest penetration of hybrids, with over 1 in 10 of every vehicle sold being a hybrid. Lexus is second with 5% of all cars sold under the Lexus nameplate bearing a hybrid badge. Saturn is a surprising third, at almost 4%. Honda, Mercury Ford, and Nissan follow in order.

Considering how few carmakers sell hybrids (only seven of the thirty seven), a penetration of 2.5% is pretty remarkable.

There is no distinction being made between full and mild hybrids in the report.
    'Yota sales July 2007

Camry Hybrid reported sales of 4,329 units in July. The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever July sales of 16,062, an increase of 50.5 percent over July 2006.
    Prius 16,062
    Camry 4,329
    Highlander 1205
    RX400 1385
    GS450 142
    Total 23,123

Accord 260
    Civic 2493
    Total 2753

Escape/Mariner 1578
    Altima 1131

Total Sales 28,585 and its 12 % increase over July-2006. This is despite a 12 % decrease in the overall vehicle sales.

Hybrids have 2.2 % market share in July-2007.
    Luckily Toyota is reducing the price of Prius by 1,200 and Camry by 1,000 and this should help increase the sales in August.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    It's nice to talk about hybrids,but it's just talk right now.In my state ,Illinois,it's virtually impossible to find one. :(
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'll just add that while the current crop of hybrids are fine vehicles, I don't think they are anywhere near the final solution to the problem of fuel efficiency improvement.
    We need a bit of a breakthrough in battery technology or something like the diesel-like gasoline engine to take us to another level.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    If the HCCI engines do appear then that will improve efficiency by 15-20%. The current crop of hybrids do better than that immediately.

The new CAFE standards that are likely to be adopted in the next session of Congress are likely to be the catalyst for lots of improvements across the board. GM's debut of the 2-Modes for the heavy vehicles is a big improvement if the numbers really come in at 30+% improvement. As long as the cost of the 2M's isn't too high this will give the give a big boost to our fuel-savings-efforts.

Additionally converting the fleet of mid-sized trucks and BOF SUVs to diesel is a big priority. This too should save a lot of fuel possibly giving this segment a boost from the 18-22 mpg to the 25-30 mpg range.
    Anyone got any opinions about the Green Aura,or the Green Chevy sedan?Is the gas savings enough to bother?
    'Worth it' is a personal preference. Do you like the vehicles enough to buy them with no regard for some fuzzy fuel saving amount? If so then the fuel savings are an added bonus.

That being said the 2-Modes will be more efficient in fuel savings than the current mild hybrid versions.
    All HCCI is doing is improving the efficiency of the ICE. Hybrid systems would still add to that efficiency gain.

It's amazing how people are quick to defend their ox when it isn't even being gored! ;)
    Point scored. Touche'
    Kewl... I'm ahead 1-0!!!
    The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever August sales of 14,055, an increase of 25.7 percent over August 2006.

Prius not slowing down

Toyota ALONE is on pace to sell 284,000 hybrids in the USA this year.
    Mighty optimistic when overall Toyota hybrid sales for August were down from a year ago. Without incentives it should be a real slow last 3 months of the year for hybrids. I don't see where Lexus sold any LS600hybrids in August. Did they forget to include them or did everyone back out of the pre-orders?

I say 240k max total hybrids for Toyota this calendar year. Honda may as well pack it in and Nissan is not interested in selling any more than they have to. GM should just call it a loss and pull the plug on their hybrid program. Saturn hybrids are a big expense with no profit possible with all the problems. I am so thankful I got most of my money back out of my Sierra Hybrid. Lucky there are still a few people that think they are a great deal. Never again for me.
    Lack of incentives has not hurt yet - why should it start now?

"Down" a whole 1% from last August - Large Whoop. When the sales for the whole year are 50% ahead of last year, I'd say a 1 percent difference between sales in August 2006 and 2007 is pretty much negligible.

By saying you think they will max at 240K for the year, you are putting hybrid sales at only 12,500 per month for the rest of the year.

I say they will be far closer to 260K. We'll see who is correct in a few months. I will bow to your "predictive awesomeness" if the time comes to do so......
    If sales are down in August,it's not because people have lost interest.It's because you cant find a Hybrid.I dont consider the GM versions as true hybrids.Only Toyota,Honda and Ford.Nissan doesn't manufacture enough of them to be a player.Why would someone want a 6 cyl.on a hybrid?Isnt the idea to save on gas,as well as being environment friendly.
    Lack of incentives has not hurt yet - why should it start now?

Ah, but the tax credits are still on for Toyota through 9/30/07. Plus many dealers have discounted and Toyota offered incentives on Prius. 260k could be made. I don't see your original 284k in sales. They can hardly give away the GS450h and Highlander Hybrid. The Prius and TCH as doing well. Reason they are getting the MPG people buying a hybrid expect. At least most of them are.
    The "burr in the saddle" for TMC to make their 284K total hybrid sales is mostly dropping gas prices, and very little at all effect of the hybrid tax credit.

The credit has been declining for most of the year, and so far sales are up 50% for the year through the first 8 months - based on that fact alone, I think we can say the tax credit decline has not hurt their sales.

Whether that still has little or no effect at all will be determined by the OCT-DEC sales, UNLESS gas prices keep falling. If gas is $2.10 by December 31st, then all small car sales (not just hybrids) will be down because the USA car buyer has consistently shown a short memory and poor car-buying decision-making over the years.
    I think as long as there is any credit, it will impact hybrid sales in a positive way. Right today there are many dealers selling the Prius at invoice just to move them off the lot. Not sure about the TCH. They do not put out much info on those numbers.

I do agree on the knee jerk reaction to the price of gas. The masses buy small when gas prices are high. Then back to the vehicles they really want the SUVs when gas prices go lower. Smart money would buy that SUV when the price of gas is over 3 bucks. If they really want a econobox wait for the gas prices to fall in the Fall. So simple yet folks just don't get it.
    first of all, anyone who SELECTS a particular car solely on the money they might or might not spend on gas money is an idiot.

Gas prices will fluctuate up and down over the course of owning the car.

Buy the car or truck or SUV which meets your needs and which has the highest MPG and lowest pollution numbers of all the cars in your "list of finalists."

If it's a 20 MPG SUV, then face the fact that you are going to be paying a lot for gas money over the life of the car, but hey, you'll have plenty of wasted cargo space !!

If it's a 40 MPG 5-passenger car, face the fact that you are going to have less storage space but will be insulating yourself from high gas prices !!!

Your right, it has always been simple.
    A Forbes.com article on the least efficient hybrids and the dreaded "hybrid premium" are the subject of today's Alternate Route entry, Boon or Bane?
    Sep-2007 Sales are in and Hybrids have not done well.
    Toyota + Lexus had sales of 18,130 while Honda has around 2,321. Thats a total of 20,451

Nissan may be around 1,000 while Ford may be around 2,000. All this may bring a total of 23,000, which is annualized sale of around 275,000.

But Sep-2007 overall vehicle sales is 4 % less while the Hybrids may be the same which is good.

Some lessons learned here.
    * Despite the introduction of newly designed Highlander, its sales declined from 2,347 in Sep-2006 to 193. The reason is they increased the length, width, height and the weight of the vehicle and the green-minded people have rejected this as Hybrid model.

* Prius had 23 % increase with 12,494 units sold, while Camry slightly increased from 4,044 to 4,196 units.

* GS450h declined from 162 to 72, Rx400h declined from 1,687 to 979 and the new entry LS600h gained 196.

* Overall, Toyota has to remove some extras and reduced the prices. Already price of Prius is reduced by 1,200 and Camry by 1,000.

* People are quite shrewd and have become more cost conscious especially with problems in housing market and the economy in general.

If automakers think of dumping gas-guzzling Hybrids, people will simply end up buying small hatchbacks. Oil prices are staying at $80 / barrel and we dont know when it will relect in gas prices.
    Are hybrid manufacturers moving in the right direction?

Answer is NO.

For ex - Toyota decision to increase the weight of Hybrid Highlander by 500 lbs (230 kg) is a bad decision. People have rejected it and its sales have declined from 2,347 in Sep-2006 to 193 in Sep-2007.

With gas prices at $2.8 / gallon and oil prices at $80 / barrel and constant news about the impacts of Global Warming, people are downsizing the vehicles they purchase.
    Even worse is some people are just keeping their old vehicles and the annual sales are simply declining every month.

Another weird decision for Toyota is to put the Hybrid system in LS600h with V8 engine.

GM and Chrysler are marching in the same path with their Tahoe/Yukon and Durango/Aspen Hybrids. No idea as how well it will sell.

Moral : Hybrids with V4 engine are selling well, while those with V6 & V8 are going down.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "For ex - Toyota decision to increase the weight of Hybrid Highlander by 500 lbs (230 kg) is a bad decision. People have rejected it and its sales have declined from 2,347 in Sep-2006 to 193 in Sep-2007."

It is truly strange. Small I4 engines CAN get good HP - witness the new Honda Accord, which has an I4 option at 190 HP. Combine that with an HSD and I think it would drive the HH pretty well, with better MPG.
    You cant buy a hybrid if you cant find one.
    your post generated a couple of thoughts:

1. Hybrids are not just for "super high mileage" cars. Toyota has repeatedly pledged to make hybridization an option for every one of it's cars. That means all engine sizes. And that's not a mistake because hybridizing ANY CAR creates a higher mileage version of the same car, regardless of the engine size. A V6 with a hybrid option will get better mpg than a V6 without. A V8 will do the same. So hybridizing larger engines is not a mistake in itself. Whether car buyers want to spend the extra money for the hybrid option on larger cars is still up for debate.

2. The "old thinking mindset" that hybridization is only for small cars with small engines needs to go away. Toyota will be helping send that old notion on it's merry old way.
    A V6 with a hybrid option will get better mpg than a V6 without. A V8 will do the same. So hybridizing larger engines is not a mistake in itself. Whether car buyers want to spend the extra money for the hybrid option on larger cars is still up for debate.

I think the buying public has spoken. The Hybrid Accord a big flop. The GS450h a Big flop now the new Highlander hybrid looks to be a flop. I think the Toyota will get the picture and build hybrids for economy and forget the rest. Across the board hybridization is a poor notion that is not paying off for Toyota. Hopefully we have seen the last with their luxo barge hybrid LS600.
    Confucious say:

One car "flop" does not a "public has spoken moment" make.

And saying "across the board hybridization is a poor notion that is not paying off" is being a little premature, since they haven't even starting really getting into it large-scale yet - they are still VERY MUCH in the "toes in the water" stage right now.
    Do you have a link for Toyota saying they will hybridize any more after the last few flops? One car flop? You think Toyota is happy with sales on the GS450h, RX400h and HH this year? Even the Camry hybrid sales are flat.
    sure do:

Dated 10-3-2007

"If investment in future low-carbon technologies are taken into account, Toyota, the world’s largest car maker, does better: it will have hybrids across its entire range by 2020, and by then expects to be marketing fuel-cell cars commercially."

Yes, ONE CAR flopped. The Accord hybrid. Not even a Toyota.
    * Despite the introduction of newly designed Highlander, its sales declined from 2,347 in Sep-2006 to 193. The reason is they increased the length, width, height and the weight of the vehicle and the green-minded people have rejected this as Hybrid model.

ACCURACY ALERT !! ... ALERT !!!
    You do know of course that the new 2008 Hybrid Highlander hasn't been delivered to the US yet. :surprise:

It's only due here around Nov 1. The 193 are the few remaining 2007 HH left over.

Now we also have to add GM to the mix with it's very capable 2-Modes. Initially they are estimating 10000 Tahoes and Yukons then followed by an Escalade, Malibu, Aura and Vue 2-Mode hybrid.

Having the two largest vehicle makers in the world whipping the hybrid horse should have everyone here in NA ready to consider at least the option to drive a hybrid.
    Do you have a link for Toyota saying they will hybridize any more after the last few flops? One car flop? You think Toyota is happy with sales on the GS450h, RX400h and HH this year? Even the Camry hybrid sales are flat.

Accuracy is KEY to forming a valid opinion and conclusion. The fact that the OP made a huge error in accuracy shouldn't be the basis for anyone else coming to an additional erroneous conclusion....if you catch my drift.

Here is a key concept to keep in mind regarding all the hybrids from all the manufacturers. The system is a electro-mechanical method to improve the worst characteristics of the traditional Otto cycle ICE; i.e. the City driving part of a vehicle's life.

All the hybrids on the road now, including the 2-Modes soon to come, accomplish the same benefit. Each improves the Highway driving efficiency slightly ( 10-20% ) but each improves the City driving dramatically ( 40-60% ). If one could look at the entire NA fleet of vehicles, pick out the worst fuel-abusing characteristic, then magically make it go away that would be a huge benefit, would it not? Consider it done.
    Do you really think that Lexus is happy with their foray into hybrids? Or are they just being pushed by Toyota? The October sales with no tax incentives will tell a better tale on Toyota hybrids.

As far as the GM hybrids. They better get the bugs worked out of the Saturn hybrid before they have another 1980s diesel fiasco on their record. GM single handedly made diesel cars taboo. They could do the same with hybrids.
  • 2mnycats2mnycats Member Posts: 11
    The Accord Hybrid failed because Honda made a rare and fatal miscalculation. They used the gas/electric motor combination not to save gas (which I believe is why people actually buy hybrids, duh), but to increase power. Is anybody really going to pay a premium for what is, after all, a family sedan! just to get a little extra kick, vs. just buying a low-end BMW instead. Don't think so.
This discussion has been closed.