Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tx_av8tortx_av8tor Member Posts: 4
    After my wife's '01 RX300 got totaled by '78 Cadillac, and having her and my two little girls walking away from the wreck without even a scratch, my wife is hell bent on buying only Lexus from now on. So we went shopping for RX350, but we've settled on buying 400H. We shopped around all around the State of Texas, but the best offer we got for 400H FWD (no Nav, no entertainment system, and no Levinson sound system) is about $3.5K off the MSRP.

MSRP: $46558
    Sale Price: $43K

Does this sound right?
  • bbydadbbydad Member Posts: 58
    does anyone know if the internet manager can give you better deals than the guys on the floor? Or do they just deal with you more directly (faster?) how can they give u a better deal? do they pass along the savings from not having a floor guy involved who needs a commission? I have also filled out the quotes form on edmunds and gotten contacted by someone who turned out to be a floor guy -- should I demand to talk to the internet manager?
  • skirobskirob Member Posts: 8
    We are considering purchasing the RX400H. If the dealer(s) are willing to discount the 2006 RX400H, the $2200 tax credit in CO will make it an attractive option. However, I'm leary of purchasing it without knowing what changes are in store for 2007. Has anyone heard what changes will be made?
  • umytbnextumytbnext Member Posts: 2
    We bought our Lexus RX 400h July 19 in Fort Wayne Indiana. The dealer only had one hybrid. They offered it to us for $2k below sticker, and we took it home. We're happy with the deal, and we're EXTREMELY happy with our new 400h.

Drew
    congratulations. sounds like you got a good deal and the dealer really wanted to move the car.
    does anyone know for sure if the tax credit is still available for 2006 RXs? I had heard there was a vehicle limit for toyota/lexus such that only the first 60,000 vehicles sold in 2006 (RX+ Prius+ Highlander etc) would be eligible.
    Hi - can you tell me what your car included and what the MSRP was? I am looking to negotiate a deal soon and want to know what some people are getting. Is it true you can only get these cars fully loaded (i.e. with nav, rear parking camera, etc.)?
  • amg123amg123 Member Posts: 4
    I'm picking up my RX 400 H AWD today. It has heated seats and rain sensors. NO DVD or NAV. MSRP 47958-discount 3458 = 44,500 out of pocket. Hopes this helps. I'm in NJ
    Thanks for the info. When did you order the car? Were they in stock? I've been told I had to order and they only came with NAV.
    They had a bunch of cars in stock. It's a 2006 not a 2007. I think they had 6 left and not one of them had a nav system. I bought the car on Saturday and am picking it up today.
  • dalooshdaloosh Member Posts: 15
    I've been in the thick of it for a couple weeks on this car, so I have some answers...

As to the tax credit, they are graduated, so once Toyota hits 60,000, the credit decreases over four quarters. They already hit 60,000, so this is the last quarter you can get 100% of the credit, so in October, you only get half, I think, and then in spring it drops to a quarter of the full credit.

As for 2007 changes, I've been told no body changes. Changes I've been informed of are 1) new Nav system, but not too different and 2) wood will be standard, instead of an upgrade (with higher cost, of course).

As to availability, I have seen only two kinds, without Nav and with Nav and heated seats. People seem to shy away from without Nav, so those are on the lots, and with Nav and heated seats are the ones still coming from Lexus.

Finally, I'm in the NY metro region and while I haven't negotiated yet, dealers are opening their offers with about $2250+ off the sticker (sticker with nav being either $49,750 or $49900 (with cargo mat and some other little thing).

cheers!
    Thanks for the info. In my area, dealers are ordering and none are on the lot. (Massachusetts) So that is probably why I can't get a RX400h without nav. any idea if 2007 will have satellite radio? I heard a rumor the engine might be upgrade (just like 330 to 350). somewhere on this message board someone referred to a RX440. Seems like this info is top secret. Please let me know how you make out and what kind of breaks you get-
  • skirobskirob Member Posts: 8
    I researched the IRS website and it stated that for RX400H, the tax credit is $2200 if purchased prior to Sep. 30, 2006. Purchases in the 4th quarter qualify for an $1100 tax credit.
    That sounds right, and the next decrease is in another two quarters, so it will be only $550 credit, but the law could be changed before then.

Another dealer told me that Lexus is not shipping non-Nav cars right now, and he was unsure if the 2007s would be offered in nav and non-nav. None of the dealers have mentioned an upgrade in the engine, but a few said the 400h may still just edge out the 350 on the road, tho they are similar, and the 400 remains more powerful than the 330.

I had read that there will be different grades for 2007, with fabric in standard and then two premium levels with leather.
  • ravlegendravlegend Member Posts: 19
    Hello- I'm in the mid-Atlantic region and looking for purchase a 400h in by end of September.

Looking at an AWD, and a NAV & ML system would be ideal. MSRP is approx. $50,100

a few questions:
    -when does the 2007 model comes out?
    -any deals similar to what I read from CA? Willing to deal w/i 500 miles if I hv to.

Thanks
    The 2007 model is a wellkept secret. Lexus traditionally gives next to no notice for new model year cars so that they can sell off the old year's models. I am in MA and I have heard a couple of thousand off at most over here. They are dealing much more aggressively for the 2007 RX350 because the demand is down.
    bbydad's right about the 350, the dealers are pushing them pretty hard.

I think your estimate of MSRP is a little low, since I've been looking at AWD with nav and heated seats (pretty much if they have nav they have heated seats, as well as cargo mat). The sticker has been $49,928. Mark Levinson adds close to a grand to that, and then there will certainly be a price increase for 2007s, so I would guess you'd be looking at closer to $51,500.
    I think you're right about the price. However, I heard here that Mark Levinson was not an option any more for 2006 400H's. Does anyone know if the 2007 will finally have a satellite radio or MP3 jack? Does the 350?
  • tx_av8tortx_av8tor Member Posts: 4
    Here's an update. We did buy 400H FWD with heat seats, rain sensing wipers, 18' wheels, adaptive lights, etc for $43K + TTL.

With the first tank, it averaged 24.6 MPG, about 5 MPG better than what we were getting with RX300. So far, it's a very nice car and extremely satisfied.

Good luck!
    AMG123-

Could you shed some info on who/what/where is your Lexus dealer in NJ?

3k-4k off the MSRP seem good to me.

Thanks
  • annasfannasf Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, based on this article poasted on the IRS website (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html) that was updated just on 8/9/06, I am concluding the following:

- you can't qualify for the tax credit if you buy a '07 RX400h
    - you can't qualify for the tax credit if you lease the vehicle

So, it seems that if you can still find an '06 model, not only will you get a discount (I talked to a salesperson on the phone and he thought he could do at least $2K off what I would otherwise have to pay for buying an '06 model now), you'll also be able to take advantage of the tax credit...

So here are my questions:
    - has anyone actually seen the '07 model yet? how is it different vs. the '06? (the dealer said new nav system is the only difference)
    - has anyone learned anything different about getting a tax credit for the '07 model?

Thanks!
    I got my car at Warnock Lexus in Livingston New Jersey. Great experience.
    Woohoo, new car! Drove off the lot over the weekend, put 182 miles on it, and got 25.1 mpg so far (mixed city/highway). Options are NAV, heated seats, cargo mat and wheel locks.

MSRP: $49,928
    Sold at: $45,643 + TTL
    Difference: $4285

I would suspect that Lexus is incentivizing their dealers, we got to this number quite quickly. Love the car so far, ask me in a couple years...

annasf's read of the tax rules seems right, and the 400h is not listed as a 2007 model for the credit. Remember that the tax credit on 2006s drops by 50% at the end of next month.

The dealer offered to put in XM radio at the dealership, but said he could not do Sirius. Another dealer confirmed 2007s would come in different levels, more like the 350 (with standard, premium and premium plus), also estimated 2007s as end of Sept. or beginning of Oct.
    Just bought my '06 Silver w/ Black interior RX400h and am very pleased with the deal I got. I must admit it took some work -- I called every single dealer within 150 mi radius -- but was ultimately able to get what seems to be an amazing deal. Paid below invoice price of $43,250 (2WD, nav system, heated seats, destination charges, TTL all included) for the car which has MSRP of $48,750 ($5,500 off MSRP). Also got aftermarket DVD entertainment system (2 screens behind each headrest) for $1,800. Probably didn't get the best deal on the aftermarket DVD but seems to be a very fair price based on my research.

So far very pleased with the car. It's driving a little funny though... sort of has a "sputtering" feel when driven at highway speed (not perfectly smooth, as if it had bad gas in it, sputtering/transmission-changing kind of feeling...). Am hoping it goes away. If it doesn't after a couple hundred miles, I may bring it to the dealer to get it checked out. Has anyone else notice their car drives that way? Maybe it's just a new car thing.

Final question for this board... we're so enamoured with the idea of the hybrid that we're thinking about getting another one! We'd like to also get the Toyota Prius, but was wondering if there's a cap on how much tax credit we could claim in one year. Does anyone know if you buy more than one hybrid vehicles in a given year if you can claim tax credit on both vehicles? Thanks!

Anna
    From the Lexus website - its $43275 for an AWD.
    Isn't that about $3k less than the 2006 model MSRP?

What gives? I thought I read it's basically the same as 2006 so maybe a cheaper productivity on Lexus part?

http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_hybrid/price_options.html
    First, wow annasf! Do you mean that you got $5500 off the sticker, or even better, your price including TTL was below $43250? That would put your sale price around $40000, is that even possible??! And I thought I did pretty well!

As to the tax credit, I haven't seen anything in the IRS guidelines that says you can't get credit for two cars in one year, but I'm not an accountant. Don't forget tho, that if you put a Prius into service after Sept. 30, you lose half the tax credit anyways!

ravlegend, it is almost $3K less, but the 2007s come in levels like the RX350 does, standard, premium and premium plus. If you look, the options in premium plus were all standard for 2006, like power steering column, leather, seat memory, AFS HID lights, moonroof and roof rack. Other things are no longer standard, such as 18" wheels, now they are 17" wheels (18" are a $500 option). And so on, so for 2007, people can get into the 400h at a lower price point by giving up some luxuries.
    thx daloosh -
    Should hv read further on the Lexus site.

I noticed the NAV/ML package is $4130 but they are priced $3630 combined ($2650+980)as options. What am I missing here?

Annasf-that's amazing! mind sharing where is this dealer at?
    and did you deal with a salesperson or a fleet manager? I may even make a mini-vacation out of it if I hv too.
  • turquoise_e1turquoise_e1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi Annasf,

Which after mkt DVD player did you get? Can you share some details? Price, satisfaction, seamless integration...

Thx.
  • marke2marke2 Member Posts: 8
    After reading the article, I'm thinking (hoping?) that the 2007 RX400h hasn't been approved yet. If you notice, the 2007 Toyota Prius isn't listed either. I can't imagine that hybrid not getting a tax credit!
    To answer a few questions re: my purchase/posts:

- I bought the car at Coliseum Lexus in Oakland
    - $43,250 was the price I paid net of sales taxes (not sure exactly what TTL is, I assume that's the dealer advertising, destination charge, wholesale finance charge etc etc? Those were included in the price I paid)-- would love to understand what TTL fees are for my next car purchase (which could be soon for a Toyota Prius!)
    - I don't have the details on the after market DVD yet since it hasn't been installed yet. It's going to be two screens behind each headrest... that's about as much I know/remember from the floor sample. The retail price was $2450 and I got $1800 after much negotiation since they already were discounting the car itself so steeply. Because I called every dealer in the Bay Area, I can say that this seems to be a fair price for the after market DVD, though perhaps each dealer uses a different brand /product. I got prices ranging from $1300 (just one dealer) to $2600. Most dealers came in at slightly under/above $2K.
    - Not sure if the Prius '07 or the RX400h '07s would ever get on the list of ones to benefit from tax credit. It seems to me that the benefits start falling after end of this quarter any way, and that perhaps Toyota has chosen to prioritize the Camry hybrid and the GS450h to qualify for the tax credit -- maybe they're trying to push these two newer models? Also, the tax credit is supposed to bridge the gap between the difference for the regular model vs. the hybrid model. Since that gap is narrowing at least for the '07 RX400h (lower base price to get into a hybrid though without the luxuries), perhaps the tax credit incentive is no longer as strong...? Anyhow, this is just purely speculation on my part not based on any real evidence.
    - My decision criteria for choosing an '06 are as follows: 1) seems like no real improvements/changes are being made in the '07 model other than the fifth generation nav, and based on personal testing it seems the voice command function while driving (the biggest advantage of the fifth gen Nav in my opinion)is not working that well anyway, 2) I was convinced I could get a better/below invoice price for '06 model during the transition (proven to be true) and 3) the tax credit on the '06 model is a sure thing which shaves off yet another $2200 off my out of pocket costs if purchased before 9/30. If you can still find an '06 model, I'd bet you might even be able to negotiate a better deal!

Now I am on to researching the Prius for our second car! A friend just bought one and totally loves it. If I can still get an '06 model and qualify for the tax credit (pending answer from my accountant) by 9/30, we may go for it.

Good luck to all in your purchases!

annasf
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    congrats on your hybrid purchase i know you will love the 400h. The CVT transmission you have in this vehicle is the smoothest you will ever drive, other than a slight feeling when the engine kicks in at certain times there should be no 'sputtering as if it has bad gas in it'. if this is happening particularlty at 35 to 45 mph this is not normal and has been noticed by a small number of 400h owners. It is a known problem\by lexus, some have tried to have thier computers reprogrammed by the dealer, computer chip replacement was the only thing that fixed it for others. Lexus corporate had to get involved for the chip replacement. Do not wait, make sure your dealer is aware of the problemm ASAP and insist on a repair that works.
  • tim_franktim_frank Member Posts: 4
    Some Lexus dealers in the mid-atlantic are giving huge discounts on the 2006, 400h, trying to clear out their old inventory. I just got a 400h AWD with navigation, stick was $49.9, paid $44.5 + ttl. Yes, that's $5.5 off msrp. Most dealers will knock off at least $3,000 if you talk to them for more than five minutes. If your dealer wants more than this, go to another dealer. It really pays to shop around. p.s. The car is terrific, drives like a dream.
  • element3element3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm looking to lease the RX 400h and I want to make sure I ask the right questions to calculate my lease. Are all these points available for disclosure by the dealer? Are there other questions I should ask? Thanks

Money Factor
    Residual
    Lease Inception Charge
    Lease APR
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Dealers aren't required to disclose the money factor.. However, the residual value is printed on the lease, and is set by LFS, and the dealer can't change it.

If you want to know those numbers, ask Car_man here:

Lexus RX 330 / RX 350 / RX 400h: Lease Questions

Money factors and residuals vary by term/mileage, so be sure to let him know the parameters of the lease you are interested in.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Tim - which dealer in mid-Atlantic? thanks!

The ones I have called and on 2 occasions when I sat down in the office are only discounting half of what's shown.
    AWD + NAV = $47k.
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    07 400h will have satellite radio capability, dealer installed xm, they are having serius problems with sirius working in that vehicle. aftermarket suppliers are working on it.
  • newgionewgio Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering to lease 328i coupe with sports package and heated seats. I'm willing to put down up to $3500(everything included) and would like to keep my payments under $500(tax included) Is it possible?
    The dealer I bought from was Lexus of Towson, in Maryland. I highly recommend them: best price, curteous and honest. The best car buying experience I've had. My first contact was using the Internet to get a quote, then follow up negotiations on the phone. They will actually talk price, in a serious fashion, on the phone. The pick up was smooth, and I love the car. Good luck.
    tim - strange - they're the 1st one I went to but wouldn't go lower than $47ish.

Thanks for the info thou.

BTW - is your 400h a gold one by any chance?
    I would think that it's dependent on the day of the month, the day of the week, and as we get to the end of the 2006s, you can score some great deals, depending on what's on the lot.

At the time of my deal $4300 was the best I'd heard of, but within days, we saw $5500 appear. I have no regrets, it was the right time (needed a car within five days), right color (had trouble locating Neptune Blue), right dealer (good location, will use them for service).

You should try them again.
    Hi ravlegend: Hmmm, I think I got the last '06 on the Towson lot. they probably have to go to another dealer to get one now. Have you considered the '07. MSRP came down about $3,400, but you have to add on $1,200 premium package to get some of the stuff you might want. That's still alot less than for the '06. Towson seemed the dealer that most wants to move cars. Decide what you want to pay, make them an offer (via Internet, then call when you get the email back) and stick to it. If they don't take it, take the offer to another dealer. I'd try Lindsey Lexus in Alexandria next, they have alot of '06. I wanted a flint mica or bamboo. The bamboo is what I got from Towson. Lindsey has a flint mica, but wanted more money, $47, but I didn't really negotiate cause Towson's deal was the best.
    I know 2 days ago they hv a silver, a white one and a dk grey - not my colors of choice. So I search a bunch of dealers surrounding MD & did locate another 2006 of my color (bamboo) with NAV for $45K even + TTL.

Almost seal the deal (within 5 minutes) when another dealer called back and counteroffer me a similarily equipped 2007 for $3k less MSRP- which was LOWER than what my local dealer mentioned above was offering for a 2006. :confuse:

Needless to say a happy camper & thanks to everyone on board.
    Hi ravlegend, Was the bamboo with NAV that you got for 45 an AWD? What dealer did you get it from? Sounds like you got a great deal. I know you're going to love the car.
    Can someone explain to me what is TTL? Thanks!

Anna
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Tax
    Title
    License

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone purchased a 2007 RX400H yet? I just test drove a 2006 and would like to wait for a 2007. The MSRP I'm looking at is about 51,841 with everything...but of course I'm not going to pay that. But who knows how much I can negotiate off a new car? :(

Thanks
    The dealers here in the NY metro area all told me end of September, beginning of October for 2007s. One said maybe the middle of the month. They were getting their last 2006s in the beginning of September.
    daloosh
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    The 07 400hs have been delivered in the Seattle area. My dealer received about 10 and all are sold but one, although that one probably is gone now too. I looked at them but did not have time to test drive. The new gray color (forget the Lexus name for it) looks very sharp. The dealer is selling them at msrp and I did not feel that this early there is much give on that but expect there will be as more allotments come in and the early buyers are taken care of. The advantage of buying an 06 this month is that they are probably under msrp and also have the tax credit too. No tax credit for the 07 and at least initially may be at full price.
  • annguyen251annguyen251 Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered one during the weekend at Fremont (CA) Lexus. This is a 2007 400h AWD with MarkLevinson/Navi package.
    MSRP is $51346. Bought it for a little less than $48500 +TTL.
    I didn't test drive the 2007 but it looks nicer and better than the 2006. The Navi is improved. I tested the 2006 model and liked it very much already.
    I'm driving my 10 days "new" 2007.

I believed the only exterior difference is the HYBRID badging on the side door bumpers. Interior may be an addition of a coin holder. Couldn't compare the nav system since I haven't seen the 2006 version.

Premium Plus Package
    Nav
    18" wheel
    Heated Seats
    Wood trims

MSRP - $49885
    $46700 + TTL