Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dorenescardorenescar Member Posts: 28
    We just bought a 400h awd w/prem.plus, tow prep, heated front seats, alloy wheels, nav/levinson audio pkg, wood wheel, pref.pkg, MSRP $51,405 (incl. $715.destination) for $46,600; this was $800 over invoice in their books and by edmunds checklist. This was by far the best pricing we had gotten, as there are very few 400h's available, and the only flint mica we came across. The dealership (Steven's Creek Lexus) was very pleasant to deal with, honored their internet price and over-the-phone negotiations; very low key and professional. A very good experience, and hopefully a wonderful vehicle! :shades:
  • msb3msb3 Member Posts: 2
    Wow!!! That's incredible coincidence. I paid exactly same as dorenescar i.e. $46,600 for the same features from StevensCreek Lexus and got the vehicle couple of days back. I think they are the best dealer and my experience in purchasing this vehicle is outstanding from them. I dealt with 2 or 3 other dealers in surrounding area, and they are not good. Stevens Creek never pushed me to come down for negotiations where as other dealers are greedy and calling me all the times with different quotes and always asking me to come down for negotiations. Who has times to travel many times to these dealerships!!! I like Stevens Creek very much as they were very pleasant to deal with.
    That is so good to know, msb3; I agree that they are very consistent in their pricing. They also gave us a very good trade in value. Stevens Creek offers classes on the features on Thursday nights; did you go to the class? Is so, was it useful? What color did you get? Happy driving! :D
  • msb3msb3 Member Posts: 2
    dorenescar, I bought Silver Metallic + Light Gray Leather Trim with Brown Walnut Accent. I didn't go to that class. I think this is monthly once on one of those THURSDAYS. Wish u happy driving too!!!
  • masterngmasterng Member Posts: 2
    I went to the San Jose Steven Creek dealer today but they don't have a car for test driving, so as a newbie, I would like to seek for some advices from you on the following:
    1. What is the best way to purchase this car? How can I negotiate the price when the car is not on the floor?
    2. If I just want a base model or something with less add-ons, can I get this? and how?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confuse:
    Hi masterng,
    Re: your questions:
    1.I went to the edmunds 400h tmv pricing; after pricing the car with options, it gives you the option to get prices from local internet dealers. I sent this in, and got an internet price for the features I wanted from Steven Creek Lexus. From there, we negotiated the price down to our purchase cost once a vehicle came in from Serramonte. You can leave a deposit (I believe $500.) which entitles you to 'first right of refusal' once a new car comes in. They will call you, and you can come in to test it. The deposit is fully refundable; they don't cash it. It helps to call other dealers and see if they will compete/match prices as a pressure point in the purchase.
    2. I was told that all the vehicles are coming in fully loaded, which is what we wanted. If you want a base model, they might be able to locate and dealer trade for it from their online database. Most likely, you would need to build it/order it from the factory, which often limits how much you can negotiate price. A good salesperson can advise you on this. You can also go to lexus.com, where they have a build-your-own option.

Good luck with your buying! :D
  • aupersonauperson Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks to all who have posted their experiences. It was of great help to me. I just paid $44,450 plus a $100 handling fee for a RX 400h AWD w/ navigation, prem plus, tow package, wood package, heated seats, and 18" wheels. I got it at Towson Lexus near Baltimore. The internet sales manager could not have been any nicer about this transaction. The other Baltimore dealer, Len Stoler Lexus, was also very close to this price.

At the beginning, I contacted all of the Washington, DC area internet managers looking for the same car. Here is what I got in response; Rockville Lexus would take only $2,000 off MSRP; Lexus of Annapolis wanted $48,524, Pohanka never gave me a price after four e-mails other than to say they would not sell for less than what they paid, Lindsay Lexus at first would not give me a price even after I visited them twice and had several e-mails exchanges. I then decided to extend my search to the Baltimore dealers and within 20 minutes both dealers came back with very good prices. (I think they are related by ownership.) I gave these prices to Lindsay Lexus where I really wanted to buy the car as they are close to my home. Lindsay came back the next day with a figure of $46,278, but that was still much higher than Lexus of Towson and Len Stoler.

So bottom line is, if you live in the Washington, DC area it may be well worth it to check out the Baltimore Lexus dealers. In fairness, I think the much higher prices by those dealers closer to DC reflects the demand of the car and the income level of many DC car buying customers. These dealers just don't need to make much of an effort to close the sale.

As a postscript, I was told by a salesperson at Lindsay that the Lexus Regional Sales Rep was not happy with the Baltimore dealers and would put a stop to their aggressive prices. I have my doubts this will happen as it would likely violate some Maryland consumer laws. Again, thanks to Edmunds for hosting this site and to all who gave me your ideas. I love this car!
  • masterngmasterng Member Posts: 2
    Thank you dorensecar, for the detailed information.
  • aupersonauperson Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like sour grapes from another dealer who does not want DC area buyers to look at the Baltimore dealers. I posted a very honest and accurate account of my buying experience. The truth is I negotiated exactly what I wanted from Towson Lexus all in about a 30 minute period. It was simple. I picked the car up the next day with no surprises. Of course, not all buying experiences will be the same and people need to ask informed questions.

Both Towson and Len Stoler seem to be willing to be aggressive in selling some of their cars below MSRP. While there I saw the Towson showroom was full of people looking at a very plentiful variety of Lexus cars. It would appear from other posts on this site that other people have been going to Baltimore for their cars at a good savings for a long time. All the while these dealers seem to be thriving.

Yes, some people from DC will not want to drive an hour away to save a few thousand dollars even if they can get exactly what they want. They are just busy and may not have the time. That is their choice and is part of the beauty of the free market system. :)
  • dejoladejola Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to lease a 2007 Lexus RX400h and would like some idea what would be a good monthly lease rate given that the lease is for 24 months with 30k miles per year, $5,000 "down" or up front, or drive-away amount, and an MSRP for the configured vehicle of $49,866. This includes the base MSRP of $42,580, the delivery, processing, handling of $715, and the package cost of $6,571.

I'm told one has to first negotiate downward from the MSRP and then do these lease costs based on that lower negotiated figure, taking into account the lease is for 24 months (my company insists on 24), and the 30K miles per year requirement.

So I need someone smarter than I am to tell me 1) What should I expect to negotiate down to from $49,866; and 2) What should my monthly lease payment be given that I'll put $5,000 down and the lease is for 24 months and 30K miles a year.

I have four dealers vying for the deal.

You don't know how much this math challenged turkey appreciates any help offered.

Thanks.
  • hakshaks Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering where did you get this deal. I'm looking for the same car in NJ and this sounds like the deal to get!
    Please advise!
    Thanks!
  • dejoladejola Member Posts: 2
    Not sure what you are talking about. I don't have a deal yet. I simply said that the configured RX400h has an MSRP of $49,866. What I am trying to do now is see how far below MSRP a dealer is willing to go and then get some help trying to calculate what my lease payments will be given a 24 month lease and 30K miles a year.

I have a proposal for a discounted price as configured of $45,700, which represents a discount of about 8.35 % from the MSRP. I am told that the residual is 60% of the MSRP and the money factor is .00255 for someone with Tier 1 credit.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • annandalevaannandaleva Member Posts: 1
    My thanks to auperson. My new car is in the driveway. I read your post last night and did exactly the same thing. Sent emails at midnight to the two Northern Virginia dealers, the Richmond dealer, the Towson dealer and a dealer in PA near the Maryland border. I got a response at 8:00 AM from Len Stoler LEXUS and had an email offer by 9:00 and a faxed window sticker with all the specifics by 10:00. From the other dealers, I received a non-substantive reply from the Richmond dealer and no response whatsoever from the other dealers. Len Stoler's deal was $44,878 for the Premium Plus Package, NAV system, and a few other high end extras. According to Edmunds.com, the offer was less than $200 over dealer invoice and $3000 less than the "True Market Value." At the dealer, I was welcomed with open arms -- exactly what I would expect from a LEXUS dealer but quite different from what I experienced at Lindsay LEXUS. Well worth the extra time.

I have no affiliation with Len Stoler LEXUS or any other dealer and had never heard of Len Stoler LEXUS until last night when I read the postings from others on this forum.
  • goumterpsgoumterps Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying the 2007 Lexus 400h, and I contacted Lexus of Towson. They quoted me a price of $45,878 plus Tax, Tags, and $100 dealer processing fee. Does anyone think the dealer might have changed their price after possible complaints from dealers here in Virginia? Or I should keep talking to them to get a price closer to the $44,450 that auperson paid for?
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    is $45K for a RX400h with navigation is a good deal??
  • tx_av8tortx_av8tor Member Posts: 4
    $45K for RX400H with Nav is a great deal!

I just bought a 2007 RX400H from Northpark Lexus in San Anotonio for $46.5 plus TTL. It came with premium plus package, navigation, heated front seats, 18" wheels, towing prep, wood steering wheel, cargo mat, and wheel locks.

I tried to get the dealer to entertain my offer of $45.5, but they just wouldn't go for it. I tried with the dealers in Austin and Houston as well...but no joy. I don't understand why, but it seems at least with Lexus, we in South Texas market, have to pay a "South Texas premium" over our brethrens in east or west coast. Guess us Texans just don't buy enough RX 400Hs compared to our counterparts in either coastlines.
  • nogo1nogo1 Member Posts: 1
    with 08 lexus 400h coming out in october...i would have thought dealer in NJ would be willing to give me a better offer than msrp of 49k for an 07 --and they have plenty in stock. I was told they 'maybe' could cut off a couple of hundred dollars but that was it?? is this possible? How is everyone else seem to be getting it for $44k-46k??
  • gokatgogokatgo Member Posts: 1
    Hi texamau1,
    I've also been scouring all over Texas for a 400h. You got a great deal (46.5k) from what I have been offered and was wondering if you could give me a clue as to whom the salesperson was?
    I've been looking at used 06's for around $40-42k with 13k miles on them but would just rather buy new. You are so right about Texas...I figured I would buy in San Antonio/Dallas or Houston to get away from our recycling brothers but it hasn't made any difference. Anyway, I would like to be added to the fold...
    Thanks,
    k
  • endotoothdocendotoothdoc Member Posts: 8
    Texamau1,

I purchased my wife's 2007 AWD-400h with Premium Package at Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston, TX for 46000. They had to import the vehicle in from Oklahoma with the specs that we wanted. I worked with the Internet sales there and they were outstanding. Good luck to you.
  • usdanchanusdanchan Member Posts: 7
    Did you get the clean fuel license plate? RX 400h is not listed in Virgina DMV web site for clean fuel license plate. I tried to call DMV but none of them can tell me yes or no. I would like to find out before buying the car.
  • wcook55wcook55 Member Posts: 5
    Hi! We just bought our new 400h at Pohanks in Chantilly. They PROMISED that the 07 400h will get the plates even though the DMV site doesn't list it. And we believe everything the nice sales staff tells us! Seriously, there is only one DMV office, located in Richmond, that considers applications for these tags. They do not have a walk in service counter, nor do they have a direct dial phone number you can call (all of this info from the DMV office in Leesburg) You have to mail or fax your application to them. We did that on Monday. Still haven't heard anything. In another week, we will send another fax asking for the status. We will post here as soon as anything happens. Can't imagine why it won't qualify since the 2006 400h and the 2007 Highlander are both alreadt approved....
    I don't know why VA make it so complicated to get this license plate. Please keep me posted. My wife really want this car. If 400h is not qualified for clean fuel license plate, I will buy a RX350 for her. It will save me 4G.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    Got the RX 400h with Nav, @ Lexus of Bridgewater, NJ for 45k, (44999 since the sale guys know about NJ luxury tax for vehicle over 45K :) for those whose interested, I heard that they willing to do only $500 over invoice for any Lexus (in May, most dealers will give the best deal @ then end of the month)
  • psu77psu77 Member Posts: 13
    I am interested in the Rx 400h, but I don't want all of those options. I just want a FWD with the premium package with an MSRP of around $43K. I know almost all dealers load them with with MSRP's of $46k to $50k. Is it possible to order the car with what I want? Will a dealer give me a good deal on a car that has to be ordered? I am willing to wait several months.
  • carstuffcarstuff Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in buying a new 2007 Lexus RX 400h and can't seem to get any dealers in the Seattle area to negotiate with me - they all have been pretty aloof. I'm told the hybrids come loaded (nav/levinson) which is fine. I'm reading about deals for the cars loaded at $46-$47K in other parts of the country but the best I've been able to do around here is $2K off MSRP.

Has anyone been able to purchase a rx 400h for less than $49K (before TT&L) from a dealer in the Northwest and if so, where? I'm open to buying one in OR or ID or possibly even (northern) CA. Thanks.
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    That's typical of the dealers up here in the Northwest. Try contacting the Internet Sales Manager at Lexus of Riverside (or other Southern California dealers) for much better discounts and have them ship it up here for about $600. I did that with my current 2005 RX 330 and saved significantly. Let us know what you end up doing...good luck!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Try Oregon and Idaho. CA is not good as they will charge you CA sales tax even on an out of state sale. I used to buy vehicles in Seattle and drive back to Alaska. They went high in the late 1990s and I switched to Oregon and Idaho dealers. I like Portland dealers.
    Did they charge you CA sales tax?
    No...it is charged only if you pick up the car in California, but not if it is shipped out of California.
    That is good to know. I tried buying and licensing to my residence in Alaska and they wanted to charge me CA sales tax. That makes sense if they ship out of state.
  • erc66erc66 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have an answer yet if the 2007 RX400h Model can quality for the Clean Fuel License plate in VA, since it's not on the DMV list (althought the 2006 model is)? In addition, does anyone know if the June 30, 2008 deadline for HOV lanes is when you can no longer drive in them if you have the Clean Fuel plate, or is it the deadline for when you can buy a Hybrid car to use in the HOV lanes. I'm trying to finalize my decision on whether to get the Hybrid or the 350 model. Thanks!
    Still haven't gotten the plates for the 07 400h. And the DMV office that issues them is apperently in lower Ebonia. I have visited and called many of the other DMV offices. They all tell me that only the one office, reachable by fax machine only, can answer questions. :mad: One clerk did try to access our records to see if the Ebonian office had taken any action. She stated that the car wasn't even registered in Virginia yet. :confuse: 5 weeks after we bought it, and 2 weeks after a very official looking state envelope arrived with what we thought was our state registration. Long storu short.....still have no idea.
    To answer your second question, the june 08 date, if not extended, would be the date hybrids are no longer allowed in the HOV lanes. At all. Plates or no plates. But, as dire as that sounds, the deadlinehas been extended year by year, each of the last three years.
    Goo luck to all of us !!!
  • psordudepsordude Member Posts: 2
    Please Help!!!

I have a quote for a 2007 FWD RX400h
    NAV, Pre Plus Pack, 18" Alloy Wheels, Wood trim, Heated seats, and Tow. The normal stuff here in Los Angeles

$44.400 plus T&L

Anyone getting better this time of year?

Thanks
    I did talk to someone yesterday at DMV who validated and that confirmed the 2007 RX400h qualifies for the Clean Fuel tags and she will be updating the website to include it. However, she didn't know about the 2008 model yet. But, great news on the 2007. How long have you been waiting for your plates?
    Thank you for the update. I bought a 400H two week ago. I will try to get the clean fuel license. I hope I will have better luck than wcook55.
    I bought my 400H two week ago at Baltimore dealer (Len Stolen Lexus; Joe was my sale person) for 44800 plus tax.

My 400h included
    AWD, 18" alloy wheel, Heated Seats, NAV, Premium plus package, Tow prep.
    Virginia DMV called and left a message today. Stated that they had processed our request for clean fuel tags and they would be mailed soon. This is for our 07 RX400h. Don'y have them in hand yet, but sounds promising! :) :shades:
    How long have you been waiting?
  • susanb3susanb3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you negotiate with Len Stoler Lexus in person or on the phone? What was the MSRP on the 400H that you paid $44,800 on? Was your experience with the dealership positive? thank you.
  • psordudepsordude Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys

Giving everyone an update on my purchase

07 RX400h Fwd
    $43.750
    Tustin Lexus
    Happy and loving every mile!!!

Thanks for all the info on this forum. :)
    I negotiate thru email and phone. The salesperson fax me the sticker. The dealership is really professional. I have a good experience with them. I went to the dealer once to pickup my wife car. The only complain is kind of far. It took me about an hour to drive there. I guess when you want a good deal, you have to go anywhere. My MSRP is just couple bucks under $50K. I consider it is a good deal since Pohanka told me to get on their waiting list and pay full price.
    Did the price for your car include leather seats? And, what about the headlights? Did you get the adaptive front lighting system? And, are the 18" wheels with 5 or 7 spokes?
    My wife 400H have everything on it except a LCD/DVD player.

It included

-AWD
    -Premium Pus Package (include leather seat and adaptive headlight, etc)
    -Heated Seats
    -18" Alloy Wheel (400H does not have 7 spokes option)
    -cargo net
    -towing prep
    -Nav
    We still haven't gotten the plates yet, but did receive the new registration card stating that they had been issued. Our credit card was also charged for the difference. So, it looks like even though the 07 400h isn't on the DMV's website, we get our HOV lane access! Yay! :blush:
  • jojo16jojo16 Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to buy RX400h in a month.
    Please share your experience how much you paid for 400h recently.
    I am also interested in Seattle area experiences...RX 350 and Toyota Highlander/Highlander Hybrid also if anyone did any comparison shopping.
  • misterjimmisterjim Member Posts: 9
    I've been talking with several Orange County dealerships and the best lease offer I've gotten on a fully loaded FWD 400h with Nav/Levinson and Premium Plus Pkg is $625/mo with $6k in driveoffs. Still seems a little steep to me.
  • tapchimtapchim Member Posts: 2
    I received the following numbers this week in New York City area for 400h loaded (no dvd). Are these the numbers that others are seeing?

Cap Cost: 46,000
    36 Months / 12k
    Residual: 26,458 - 53%
    Money Rate: .00225
    No Money Down
    It comes to $706 - using the lease calculator
    I will be paying $850 or so with all new york taxes and misc (DMV).

18" Alloy Wheels
    Two-Level Heated front seats
    navigation
    Premium Plus
    Towing Prep
    Wood Steering Wheel
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Mat
    Destination: 765
  • tapchimtapchim Member Posts: 2
    Update:

another dealer in New York City area giving CAP Cost of 45,000 with everything else the same. Didn't mention before this is AWD. For qualified buyers you get Tier 1+ money rate of .00215
  • jehanjjehanj Member Posts: 11
    What was the negotiated price? Thanks