Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tinahightinahigh Member Posts: 1
    with every avail option, I live in the Atlanta market. This will be my first purchase on my own. What is a fair price? I came up with 35k. I have seen them advertised up to 40k Is there really a five thousand dollar difference in fair? :confuse:
  • shawntashawnta Member Posts: 2
    I got an offer to buy a 2008 AWD with premium plus, navigation, wood, 18" wheels, heated seats, tow prep, preferred accessories for 47,888 (not including tax, license, fees.) I asked another dealership if they'd sell the same vehicle with mark levison for 48k even and they said no. A third dealership has offered the car with ML for 48,270. Apparently with gas prices being high and my preferred color combo (black ext/cashmere interior) being popular, they're not giving great deals of late. That said, I live just south of San Francisco and it might be a geography thing.

I'm not feeling enthusiastic enough about the vehicle or these prices to purchase. Hopefully someone can post a dealership and person in the bay area worth talking to?
  • sawjaisawjai Member Posts: 23
    I just went thru the process of purchasing an RX400h a little over 1.5 months ago. At that time the dealerships were pushing hard to move the inventory. 3 different dealerships (under different ownership also) stated that at the beginning of July the price of the RX400hs were going up by $500 and if you leased the residuals percentages were going to decrease by 2%. Additionally one of my relatives that works for Toyota in Japan said that supplies will be extremely tight for the remainder of the year since battery production is being pushed toward the Prius. With all that info we pulled the trigger 2 days before the end of June. $48,270 is a reasonable deal, I was able to do better back then, but factor the stuff explained above I can see why the prices aren't going any lower. On a side note, I went in with a client of mine to purchase one and in the two hours we were at the dealership 3 were sold. He got his for $48,750 loaded from Fremont. I got mine from Stevens Creek, SJ/SC.
  • shawntashawnta Member Posts: 2
    I ended up purchasing thru Stevens Creek. They replied to my inquiry at their website in less than 24 hours with a price lower than any of my local dealerships had been throwing my way. In addition, despite being told by Putnam Lexus that black on tan was very hard to find and impossible to really discount on, the Stevens Creek rep offered it to me for 48.432 over the phone with no haggle. I ended up buying for close to that---I went in and haggled a bit cuz they undervalued my trade in but in the end, I was just ready to get it done with.

Overall, I was very unimpressed with Putnam. They repeatedly told me the car I wanted (colorwise) was pretty impossible to find and they could only offer "$500 courtesy discount from MRSP." Lexus of Serramonte was friendly but didn't bother trying to meet offers I got from other dealerships and let me walk off the salesfloor. Stevens Creek is HUGE, and the staff seemed friendly and efficient during my sole visit there.
  • karens2008karens2008 Member Posts: 26
    Hi,
    did you find a good deal? what dealer? although I live in the northeast I am just comparing. I want to buy used as well and around here I can find the 2007's with low mileage but then they want around 39,000. Iike the 35,000 price range. I need Nav. as well. Let me know please how you "fare"!
  • karens2008karens2008 Member Posts: 26
    Have you looked into any "used" Lexus RX400h and if so what kind of deals have you found on them (i would like a 2007 model). Not many out there but they are coming off lease now... seem like a more reasonable way to go with the new designs coming out soon. Anyone have some prices on used hybrids?
  • jxjyangjxjyang Member Posts: 1
    Fully Loaded RX 400 H AMD (MRSP 51,000), dealer offered me 47,500 with 1.9%APR, thank you for answers.
  • thundrct4lifethundrct4life Member Posts: 1
    Rx400h with Nav package for $42.5k pre tax and documentation fees. Englewood, NJ location. They told me msrp $51k. Financing 2.9% for 60 months which is standard. Good deal?
  • flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    did you buy it ? If so, what is name of dealer and did you deal with a salesman or internet mgr or did you go in person and talk to a manager ? Name?

I am looking to lease for 36 months with nothing down BUT a "one payment lease"
    that reflects an MSRP for a 2008 Hybrid of $51,064 with a lease price of $44,200 plus $349 doc fee which results in a residual of .48 at a rate of .00090...giving total payment (lump sum at front of lease) of $27,400 ($713.05/month).

Is this a decent deal ? Can I get a better deal ? Which numbers should be trimmed to result in a lower one payment lump sum ?

Any help will be appreciated.
  • jgaoautojgaoauto Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, I searched the internet and fund a RX 400h in Advantagecar.com in Houston. I called the sale Rep and I was told that the car is in good shape and they also accept the Aircheck voucher. After 2~3 hrs drive, I went to the dealer and test driving. I found the matainence check light is sometime on and sometimes is off. the engin is also very noisy when I speed up to 70~75 miles. I felt that the car is little bumping in highway. after test driving, I tried to talked to Car Rep about those problem. They said it is jsut forget to rest light. when I started to inquiring the engin problem, the guy who claim as sale manager said that they don't accept Aircheck voucher for this car. They showed their impolite and they don't want sell it any more. Then I have drove another 2~3 hr back to home. From my shopping experience, some car dealers are very dishonest. the customer has to be very careful.
  • larryj42larryj42 Member Posts: 6
    This is probably simple, but I have talked to so many dealers with so many numbers I am woozy. I am working with a dealer on an 09 RX 350. The sticker is $44665, the invoice is $39413. I have got the dealer down to $39100 + TTL This includes a $1000 manufacturer to dealer rebate and a $1000 "closing certificate" from Lexus. The dealer says this is his rock bottom price.
    If the $1000 rebate and the $1000 closing certificate come from Lexus to the dealer, doesn't it reduce his cost to $37413? The holdback is 2%, or $896, which reduces his cost to $36517. This would give him a profit of $2583.
    If I am correct, I would think he could still lower that price quite a bit. Are my calculations wrong? Thanks for your help!
  • lfl21lfl21 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 AWD 400h w/ Navigation, Premium Plus, Wood trim, Cargo mat/net, heated seats, Tow prep and 18 inch wheels this weekend in the SF Bay Area. Offered $42,600 + TTL, dealer countered with $42,806, we settled on $42,650. I was building in the 1,000 rebate and 1,000 close certificate, plus some of the dealer holdback, into our bid. The dealer claimed that the Consumer Reports invoice price was wrong, and that the "true" invoice price was higher. The sales manager gave me a printout of the invoice, which was different, but which included flooring fees, advertising fees, etc. Manager claimed they only made $150 at $42,806, which was not very believable.

Final price (n/i TTL) was about $2500 under invoice based on Consumer Reports' invoice price, about $2650 under invoice based on the sales manager's invoice. Took the .9% financing.

Our new car had actually been at the dealer for several months, so that may have been why they were willing to go so low. But I also did a lot of email footwork before actually going to the dealership, playing area dealers against each other. Figure we're still taking a risk, b/c Lexus dealers, and Toyota, may get desperate to move 400h stock at year's end and early next year, but we needed the car sooner rather than later.
  • rca2rca2 Member Posts: 2
    We live in the SF Bay Area and are also planning to buy a 2008 AWD 400h with similar options to yours. It seems like you struck a pretty good deal. I wonder if you could tell us the name of the dealership you purchased from. I would also be interested in knowing what the dealer said his base invoice price was. After we purchase I'll let everyone know what kind of a deal we were able to make . The fact that the car market is in the tank and that a 2008 model is at the end of its run should mean that there is an opportunity to save some significant $s. As I understand it Lexus will be offering the same car in early part of 2009 and then do an early release of the 2010 model which it seems will have a restyled and larger body. Is that what others are hearing? We don't want a larger car, so the 2008 will be best size-wise for us.
  • bentonyuebentonyue Member Posts: 5
    What is the best buy deal I can get for a RX400 H FWD with following
    2008 AWD 400h w/ Navigation, Premium Plus, Wood trim, Markl Liviston Cargo mat/net, heated seats, tow prep and 18 inch wheels. I am from the Los Angeles region. Is 45K reasonable ? :shades:
  • bocastephenbocastephen Member Posts: 35
    I'm interested in leasing an 09 400h - the discounts and pricing being tossed around over at the buying experience forum seem to indicate discounts available of 7-10K.

I would like a 2WD 400h with the Premium Pkge and Nav - which I think MSRPs around 51K. My price target for the car would be about 42-43K, which hopefully gives me a lease payment in the mid 400s with under 2k out of pocket...in Florida, sales tax is only due on the down payment and lease payments as they're made.

I'm willing to shop around the Internet, and can even visit some dealers in SoCal on 1/2-1/3/09 to try and do something in person - but the car needs to be shipped to south Florida, where I live.

Can anyone refer me to a dealer or salesperson who gave them a good deal on the car, or at least post the current 36/39M (15K miles) residual and money factors so I can do my own computations? As long as they can ship the car to me at a reasonable cost, I don't care where the dealer is.
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Contact the Internet Sales Department at Lexus of Riverside (Southern California). I had a very good experience leasing my 2005 RX 330 and having it shipped up to Portland, OR. The dept. manager and his staff were great!
  • spingrinderspingrinder Member Posts: 11
    The problem still seems to be residuals. I can't get anything above 54%. This leaves payments (with no cap reduction) in the low to mid 500's.
    Thanks for the advise...I've been looking for a R400h in dark grey or dark red with black leather, premium plus and nav, no levinson, 2WD - the car is not easy to find. I was going to buy it in CA and have it shipped to FL, but my shipping quotes are 1000-1500, so I need to take that into account.

I did find a dealer in FL who has the exact car in stock, although with 45 miles on the odometer already, I think it's been sitting there awhile and had a few test drives. Their first offer was 43K (MSRP 49,471), and a payment just south of 600 for 36/15K with a 2000 drive off - now that I've read your other post where you were working a R400h deal in the lower 500s with a 900 drive off, I wonder if you can message me with some of the details on that .

I'm OK with a payment in the low 500s (incl tax) as long as the drive off is very low - and I'm willing to balance out the total cost of taking a 10 or 12K mile lease and postpaying the difference at .25 vs prepaying with a 15K, although I'm pretty sure my usage will end up being right at, or slightly above 15K per year.

I was thinking to counter offer the dealer 41K on the car (2k under his initial offer), but I was quoted residuals of 47% and MF of .00035 (>720 beacon), and without knowing where I can really push around these numbers, I'm kind of flying blind.

If I can do the deal for under 550/mo total with under 1000 drive-off for 36/15K, it sounds to me like a good deal - what do you think? Any advise on where I should be pushing around the other numbers and hidden incentives to get my deal? I'm not sure I will be successful if I just sit there and keep repeating 41K over and over again, nor do I want to give up more than I need to.

I know this dealer must be dying, as the place was totally empty this past Saturday late afternoon, and they must have well over 100 RX350s sitting there, not to mention all the ES and everything else. I don't want to screw them, but this is a very unique opportunity to grab one of these cars at a very affordable rate, and I don't want to lose it.

I can wait - but who knows where Lexus Financial will push the residuals and interest rates after December to Remember closes.

I've talked to some dealers in CA -
    Putnam in San Bruno had a reasonable deal, Stevens Creek was higher, but I will be in SoCal after New Years, and need to write the deal in person.

Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica just about flat out refused to deal with me because they got hissy over my intention to ship the car to Florida right after purchase - they said that Lexus Financial doesn't like that.

Crown in Ontario can't find the car, but they have one with Levinson - but he is quoting over 42K.
    Cerritos is looking for the car, but they didn't call me back, so it doesn't look good.
    I've not heard back from Tustin with an updated quote - I kind of wrote them off when their first quote was 44,5K which wasn't serious to me.
  • scoutandattyscoutandatty Member Posts: 23
    Just leased a new RX and learned that the dealer has way too much inventory and are willing to make a deal to clear it before the end of the year.

I'd be happy to approach a local dealer with too much inventory and offer to take 2 cars off his inventory before the end of the month if he lowers the price on both by 50%.

He mentioned that he has a few 08 ES and 08 GS that he'd like to get rid of.

Anyone interested??
  • flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    e-mail me privately. I got a great deal on a new 2008 RX400H in matador Red with Black inside. It has everything BUT NO dvd OR mARK LEVINSON.

REDDOG

Kr5flute@yahoo.com
  • rankyranky Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell us what dealer you end up with,as we are looking for the same deal...
    thanks
    Are you looking to do the deal before Jan1st?
  • rankyranky Member Posts: 2
    yes
    ok

So what are your requirements?

Buy?

Lease?
    term?
    miles per year?

etc....
    2008 FWD R400h with Premium Plus, Nav, Tow/Wood/Htd Seats, etc - basically everything except Levinson. MSRP 49,491, cap cost 40,802

$1,100 cap cost reduction, $1,980 drive-off including first month and registration

36M/15K

$506/m plus sales tax

47% Res, .00035 MF
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I just found out the above incentive starting tomorrow on 400h at Edmunds...

Does nav really come with a cassette player?!
    $6000??? damn, I leased mine one week too early :( I got almost 3000 under invoice, but it looks like waiting a week might have yielded another 2-3K off even that.
    It looks like the $6000 may apply to more than just the RXs. I've also been pricing slightly used ESs with Levinson/Luxury on Edmonds and found a bunch yesterday AM@ $29,999. Last night, all of them were increased to @ $34-$35.

Am I misreading the price increase?

Does this make sense?
  • Ares1XAres1X Member Posts: 3
    Dealer down in melbourne, FL has 3 2008 left. All area full loaded and list at 49,600. They quoted my rock bottom of 44,500. I was hoping to do better - arent we all ! anyways, is this a good deal for a car that is a year old? how much more will it depreciate when I drove off the lot?

TIA,
    Ares
    I wouldn't even touch them - let them eat cake at that price, especially with the 6K incentive. 400h's are getting harder to come by, and I'd probably not buy one unless I got most of the 6K under invoice, given the depreciation hit you will suffer - the 2010s are only 4-6 months away from delivery, possibly sooner. I think Lexus wants all the 400h's sold and off the lots along with most of the 350s, as the 2010 350 is due around March.

Go to overstock.com and plug in zip codes for Ft Lauderdale, San Jose CA, Los Angeles CA (where I got mine) and New York City - see which overstock dealer has the best price - you definitely won't find a good price in Melbourne or anywhere else where one dealer services a geo area with limited stock. Be prepared to shop and buy from out of state if you want the right car, the right color and the right price.
  • Ares1XAres1X Member Posts: 3
    thank you.
    I have no problem traveling for a good deal just didnt know where to look. I'll go check it out right now...thx !!!
  • JustinguoJustinguo Member Posts: 14
    New to this forum, one quick question. I am thinking to buy a 2009 400h. Given the $6,000 from Lexus to dealers, what is the reasonable price I should offer? $6,000 below invoice price? or higher? Thanks a lot
    There is no 2009 400h - the model is still sold as a 2008. A fairly dumb move by Lexus, since Toyota continued their unchanged Prius from 2008, but at least called it a 2009 model to keep the resale and residual values up. Lexus decided to sell a 2008 well into 2009, which means your "new" car is going to take big value drop the moment the ink dries on your sales agreement.

I can only speculate that Lexus decided not to ship the model as a 2009 because they stopped production before the 2009 calendar year, but they should have looked at the valuation picture from the consumer's point of view and started shipping the model as a 2009 back in late summer, even for a limited production run.

That being said, check the overstock.com pricing information for your zip code to see how dealers are applying the cash - you should be able to take the invoice price and chop off at least 5k. You may need to be more price flexible as the retail supply dwindles and your color/option selection becomes harder to find.
    After a shipping delay, my new 400h just arrived. I want to share my great buying experience with the Lexus of Cerritos (Southern CA) fleet sales team - they offered a great price (no haggling needed), underpriced the competition, found me the car, did most of the work over the phone, and had everything ready for me to sign when I got to the dealer - no shenanigans.

Sometimes buying a car remotely can be a hassle, but these folks were top-notch, and although I expected a surprise along the way, nothing came up.

If anyone is still finding a tough time getting a good deal, especially in the Southeast or Texas, give these folks a shot.
    Could you please share more info regarding your purchase, such as price and option? Thanks.
    sorry, I had it listed upthread...but it was a December to Remember deal, which is no longer available as a good lease, and you should get a better selling price now than I did with the heftier factory rebate.

MSRP was 49,4k
    Selling Price (cap cost before 1k DP) was 40,8k
    MF was 0.00035 (December to Remember)
    Residual was 47%
    Monthly Pymt before sales tax - 506
    Total Drive Off was under 2k including 1k DP, license, first month, no dealer fees

As I noted in the R400h lease thread, I re-ran the numbers using the 0.00285 MF, the 46% residual and chopped almost another 3K off the selling price of the car because of the better factory money, but the payment went up by almost 80/mo due to the horrible money factor and worse residual being offered now.

If you can finance the car instead of leasing it, you should be able to get the same car I did for about 37 and change.

My car is a 2WD R400h with leather, Nav, wood, tow prep, heated seats, and graphite wheels
  • austin999austin999 Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if anyone else had the following extra captialized costs in 400 h lease?
    Acquistion fee = $700 (is this mandatory/optional)
    L & M fee = $493.80
    MV Sales/Use Tax Reimbusement = $78.47
    700 acquisition fee is mandatory - you can offset it via a downpayment if you don't want to finance it.

Not sure what the L+M fee is, but if it's license and title, then it would depend on your state - again, you can pay that upfront in cash and not finance it. MV sales/use sounds like a state tax or something - have your dealership finance man explain all these numbers.
    has anyone tried 1 pay lease or multiple security deposit(s) option.
    It seems to be about $2,500 less lease payment, with 1 pay lease for 3 yr lease term.

I'm not sure if there are any disadvantage(s) with this 1 pay lease option from Lexus.

Also, any input/feedback with multiple security deposit(s), is very much appreciated.
    I have used the multiple security deposits option, as have several others on this forum. It is a good way to reduce the money factor and therefore the monthly payment. You use your available cash as an investment that gives a return in the range of 15% plus based upon the difference in the monthly payment. The money is returned to you at the end of the lease. The monthly payment is not reduced as much as it would be if you used the cash as a down payment, but you eliminate the risk of loss in the case of the car being totaled.
    I greatly appreciate your feedback.

how much will the MF be reduced with the multiple security deposits option?
    When I did this four years ago the MF was reduced by .0001 per MSD. As interest rates dropped that became .00008. Recently a poster stated his reduction was .00001, but that didn't seem right. The dealer or his finance guy should be able to tell you the current correct reduction amount.
    However the offer price last several days I got from Putnam Lexus and Stevens Creek Lexus ( both are bay areas dealers) are all around invoice price with no intention to negotiate. I am confused that they dont' even take into account the $6000 manufactuer to dealer cash at all. Anybody last one or two weeks got any quote on 2008 400h?
    Two questions:

1) how is their inventory? With 4-6 months remaining before the '10 hybrids show up, they might be down to a few cars and decided to play cute with the remaining inventory thinking they can pump some extra profit out of them, especially if someone put a bug in their ear that gas prices might be going up (which they're not)

2) do they know that you know about the factory cash? Did you confront them about it?
  • rca2rca2 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a new 2008 400h at Stevens Creek and were able to negotiate a significant discount. $41837 for a vehicle with MSRP $52371. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.
  • ashers1ashers1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought new 2008 RX 400h AWD fully loaded, but no Levinson audio. MSRP $50,995, negotiated down to $39,845, out of the door price $41,100.
    Great sales experience, even waived the processing fee.
    This is the second car I have bought from this dealership, quality operation.
  • twm01twm01 Member Posts: 12
    Can you provide more details on your deal (options, $ breakdown, etc.)... Thanks!
  • twm01twm01 Member Posts: 12
    Can you also give your deal details?

Thanks!
  • jofam1jofam1 Member Posts: 21
    "We bought a new 2008 400h at Stevens Creek and were able to negotiate a significant discount. $41837 for a vehicle with MSRP $52371. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search"[rca2]

So it seems that a brand new 2008 400h (AWD?)(with navigation/Mark Levinson and Premium Plus) can be bought for around $42,000.
    I have also seen some deealers posting ads for comparably equipped 2006 models at $30,000 and 2007 models at $37,000 (all less than 30,000 miles). Assuming the used/CPOs can be bought for $2,000 less than the asking price (or can the prices be bargained down further?), which is a good value?

2008 at $42,000
    2007 at $7,000 - $8,000 less (less than 30,000 miles)
    2006 at $13,000 -$14,000 less (also less than 30,000 miles)

BTW, any significant changes between 2006, 2007 and 2008 models?

Thank you for your input.
  • galun999galun999 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to this forum I was made aware of the $6000 incentive, so I want to share my own experience and hopefully will help someone.

We negotiated a deal of ~$6700 off invoice price, plus about $200 worth of accessories, from a san francisco bay area dealership.