Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    I'm in your area. Where did you get this deal?!?!?!? I've checked a few dealers in my area over the internet. Most are offering very little off MSRP if anything at all. The best deal I know of is thru Costco which is $750 over invoice for cars on the lot.

In checking Edmunds, it seemed that the numbers could not be accounted for just by dealer demos. If you get around 20% off the new price for a used A3 with 5-7k miles, I would say that is a great deal. According to Edmunds, 1st yr depreciation is $6-7k.
    I guess I would say that there is no replica of the A3 in the $20k range. At some point, cars are so different that comparisons don't mean much. Using your logic, you would could compare every $30k wagon or sedan to the Mazda 3 and ask the same question: are they $10k better? And what would that tell you other than that some people are willing to pay $30k for a car and others are willing to pay $20k for a car?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Did '05-07 search for fun; Near LA, CA found 6 new and 5 used A3's. Also found 8 new and 60 used A4's. No pre-certifieds.

Very little info on A3 Reliability so far. JDPOWER, CU are blank. Maybe next year ;)
    I re-did my search on Edmunds. W/i 100 miles of the DC Metro there are:

3 used A3s
    65 new A3s

Expand to 300 miles and the number of used A3s jump to 10, so the market is not flooded with used A3s, but there are a bunch sitting on lots.

New flash: I heard that for 2007, there will be a 2.0 S-line. Sounds like the S-line will have the stuff in the Sports and Premium Packages and these packages will no longer be available. Overall, it sounds like the options on the S-line will be very similar to the ones on the 3.2 so the difference between the 2.0 S-line and the 3.2 will be quattro and a bigger engine. Be interesting to see how Audi prices the 2.0 S-line.
  • flynlwflynlw Member Posts: 6
    :) hey guys,
    i just picked up a beautiful lava grey A3 that is being shipped to me from CT, to CA.

i found it on www.autotrader.com. it was being sold from a Lexus dealer in Greenwich.

it has every freaking option that you could ask for except for blue tooth. only 6700 hundred miles on it, and i stole for only $27,500.

with shipping tax & lic. my total for this beauty was $31,000. they faxed over to me the original sticker that was on the car, and it read $35,000.

cant wait to get, and roll!!! these cars are sweet, and are definetly worth the extra money compared to the mazda3. you are just getting way more car, and way more LOOKS as you cruise :)
    I'd say you did VERY well for yourself. Even if they originally sold the car for $1000-1500 off MSRP, you still got the full 1st year's depreciation taken off the car's actual sales price. Feel sorry for the guy who traded it in. He must have taken a real beating!

Your car sounds like it is loaded and I would expect the best used car deals to be on loaded A3s. I would LOVE to snatch a used 3.2 with low miles, loaded, with $7.5k of MSRP.
    BTW, if you see a used 3.2 in the Boston area with around 6k miles on it, be careful. There is a guy in another forum who traded in a 3.2 in Boston because he was having so many problems with the car. Traded it in for a Bimmer (330).
    i looked at the 3.2, beautiful! the only thing that made me go with the 2.0 is the gas mileage. i do a lot of driving, and just ends up saving me a few bucks down the road.

not to mention that you can get the chip which will give the 2.0 a boost of HP to 250.

the great seller on either car for me was the warranty for 50k. if you think about all the money you are saving on normal maintenance, these cares are SWEEEET DEALS!
    For giggles, I check AutoTrader for w/i 100 miles of my area for 3.2s. One dealer has 2, most have 1, and several have none. A nationwide search in AutoTrader for used 3.2s did not turn up a single car.

I'd say 3.2s are getting scarce, probably because no one had that many to begin with.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I don't think it is that hard to judge the difference in 10K dollars between cars. You can be very analytical if you want.
    200 HP 2.0T vs. 160 HP 2.3 motor in Mazda 3.
    Looks like to me an improvement of 25%. Therefore, based on Engine alone, I'd multiply 1.25X20K to figure out if the A3 is worth it. Comes out to only 25K.
    6 speed DSG vs. 5 speed Auto .... I'd give Audi about 1K for that difference.
    Interior materials..... hard to believe the Audi is more than another 1K better.
    Fit and Finish, build quality, again, maybe 1K.

Therefore, I'd price a well optioned and loaded A3 at 28K. Unfortunately, Audi missed the price mark by about 2 to 3 thousand.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    There is a dealer in San Diego thats showing two 3.2's!
    However, they are both fully loaded and MSRP over 40K!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Your argument is specious. Using your approach lets compare the Mazda 3 to the Lotus Elise. Mazda has 160 hp vs. 190 for the Elise, about a 20% increase in power so we add $4,000. Both are manuals so that is a wash. Interior materials probably a wash as well and fit, finish and build quality is probably the same. So according to your analysis, an Elise should cost $24,000, not $40-50k. Nobody should buy a car that over priced.

Now if you compare the Elise with other sports cars, then you can understand why some people think it may be a bargain at $40-50k.
    not only that; the mazda3 which i almost settled for,(thank god i didnt), has a 2.3 litre powerplant that only produces 160 vs a 2 liter that produces 200.

i have not even talked about the DSG, which has received nothing rave reviews. how can you compare the powerplants & the DSG vs the mazda tip-tronic?

there is no comparison. not to mention that it is a German built car, and we know how solid they build vehicles, no?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    No more comparisons between the Mazda3 and the A3, please.. This forum is for Prices Paid & Buying Experience as it relates to the Audi A3 only.

Plenty of other forums here to compare cars.. you can even start a new one, if you like.

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• a3shoppera3shopper Member Posts: 1
    Have been shopping for an A3 recently in Bay Area and had questions regarding manufacturer's invoice: are the fees for advertising ($300) and prep and inspection ($195) really part of the manufacturer's invoice? Can they be negotiated down?
    Excellent question about the advertising/association fee of $300 and port dock/prep fee of $195 that Audi dealers use to drive up the invoice $495.

I'm only half convinced this is half legitimate.

I would say its their way of making $500 profit when they sell at invoice. So, if a dealer is willing to sell at their so called invoice which is already $500 higher than Edmunds' invoice, then I'm OK with it. It may go to Audi, but its not really part of invoice, its more like overhead costs. But I've checked around, and every Audi dealer in all of southern CA swears its part of their invoice cost.
  • meltzmeltz Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I'm currently shopping down a CPO A3 2.0 and trying to get a handle of what I should expect as a reasonable price. The car is equipped as follows; DSG, premium package, cold package, sound package, moro blue pearl in color, and it has about 12k miles. The model is too new to price a used one out on Edmunds, so I'm asking you fine folks.
    like i mentioned before, i just bought a SWEET a3 with every option except for blue tooth. it has 6700 miles on it, is lava grey. i think i got a great deal on it at $27,500.
    bought it online from CT, and is being shipped to bay area CA. i paid $31,000 total which included S/H, tax, lic, and reg, and fangdanled a 2% loan on it...life is good!
    i should have it tomorrow or monday at the latest, and i just cant wait to fire up this bad boy car! :D
  • meltzmeltz Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, you got an excellent deal on that one. Had I seen that one available, I would have jumped on it, especially since I live in MA. Maybe I can get the one I saw for $25k then. Hmm.
  • stinkwordsstinkwords Member Posts: 4
    An Audi dealer is offering a used A3 with 6,000 miles for $27,400. It's almost what I want -- lava grey, black leather, premium package, cold weather and xenons, BUT no open sky.

Edmunds lists invoice at $29,049. The car looks perfect, save a tiny ding (smaller than a dime), which they say they'll fix. Also, because it's certified pre-owned, it comes with an additional 2-year warranty (beyond the 4-year).

I'm inclined to wait for one with an open sky, but I'll be paying at least $3,000 more. What do you think?
    i like the extra 2 year waranty, but not sure about the $27,400 without the the open sky? does it have the navi?

i got the lava grey, with 6700 miles and all options except for the blue tooth for 27,500.

i think you should keep looking, i think you can do better.
  • stinkwordsstinkwords Member Posts: 4
    No navi. I held off, mainly because I want the open sky.

I've been told that Audi is discontinuing the four years of free maintenance starting with the 2007 A3s, which I believe are due late summer (?). Do oil changes and periodic services add up to that much anyway?
    I think opensky is overrated myself. You lose like 2" of headroom, no exaggeration!
    If your short, and your back seat passengers are midgets, then this shouldn't matter to you.

I did well this last weekend. I'm excited I just got a brand new (well, 80 miles) A3!

Ocean Blue, Sport Package, DSG (no further costly options)
    invoice was sale price, which is basically $500 over invoice on Edmunds (advertising/association/port prep fees). $27,657.

I think they did this in part because of end of month sale (papers say 3/31/06, but I didn't ACTUALLY take delivery until 4/2/06).
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I'm actually a big fan of the OpenSky system...it gives the interior a more "open" feeling.;)

oh, btw, I'm only 5'8" and my two kids are 3 & 1 year(s) old...so, I guess you could call 'em midgets.

My A3 is Black, Sports Pkg, DSG, OpenSky & Sirius MSRP 30,190. I paid a little more than you did...$28,650, but I was very happy with the deal.

(and yes, I need to change my name (tslbmw) cuz I traded in my problem riddled 330i for this sweet ride)
    You actually got a great deal too TSLBMW! You basically paid invoice (or just barely a few dollars above at most) just like I did.

Remember, you basically traded metallic paint for less expensive enamel paint, but also paid more for Opensky and Sirius.

Getting Opensky is another $1,000, anyway you cut it.
  • jaywjayw Member Posts: 1
    i just got my new A3
    2.0T DSG black + premium package.
    invoice = $27013
    my price is $27043
    out the door is $29500

am i paying it too high? just want to make sure.
    thanks.
  • leschizzleschizz Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

We are looking between three cars: the Volvo S40, Honda Civic Hybrid w/ Navi.. and the Audi A3. We LOVE the audi.. but the price is a problem. Has anyone bought a 2006 for under 25k? We're not really into all the options, just the basics!

Thanks!
    i received my a3 last wednesday night. it is lava grey, and has all options except for blue tooth. i love the open sky. i think it really gives a great look, and my baby boy loves looking out the back roof!

i paid 27,500 for mine, and it had 6700 miles. i just love this car! it drives let a wet dream, (pardon the french). the DSG is incredible :) . there is no shortage of power in this little 4 banger either. its very responsive, and bolts by slower traffic in a heartbeat.

my wife is starting to give me trouble about how much time i am spending with my new ride..LOLOL :surprise:

this car is practical, gets decent MPG, beautifully designed....OHHH, and did i mention its FUN, FUN, FUN to drive...A3 ROCKS!! :)
  • bruintoobruintoo Member Posts: 4
    SoCal here. I just couldn't wait for the 4-door GTI and bought the A3. I'm glad I did. Lava Gray + DSG + OpenSky + Premium + Xenons + Bluetooth = Nice ride. MSRP $31,600. Got it for $30,052, supposedly $200 over invoice (different from Edmunds [includes extra prep/dock stuff]?). But it's still below Edmunds TMV price of $30,656. Come to think of it, the Audi MSRP sticker on the car is $60 more than Edmund's MSRP for this A3 type.

-Bruin
  • ayyateayyate Member Posts: 53
    I am driving my third and fourth Audi cars now (all purchased in SoCal) and have never paid these faux charges. What's next, an admission charge to enter the showroom?

One post asked if these fees are negotiable. Others speak of "invoice" as if that is what the dealer actually pays the manufacturer. Come on folks, I am surprised at you for asking such questions and believing such myths.

But I suppose if "every dealer in all of Southern CA swears it's part of their invoice cost" it must be true. We all know how honest and ethical this group is.

Thanks for the tongue in check humor. I got a chuckle out of it. I know you guys are not serious and are pulling my leg when you imply that you actually believe these stories.
    I know the Audi dealers in SOCAL have colluded to claim these "fees" are legitimate and go directly to Audi. I know they are full of it too.

That is why I got my A3 right at their "supposed" invoice. I was willing to pay up to $500 over Edmunds' invoice, and their fees were $500 or less. Therefore, I was only willing to pay what they claimed invoice was, and that is what I did pay. No more.
    Glad to hear it. I am also glad to know there are informed buyers out there.

This may not be the forum for A3 satisfaction discussions, but I am curious to know how you like yours. Which engine did you buy? The A3 is under consideration for my wife when she replaces her allroad.

Thanks for your reply.
  • triettriet Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchase a base A3 with DSG, Murano Green, Beige Cloth, rear side airbags and no other options. Has any have a good experience with an Audi dealer in the Bay Area, CA?

Thanks.
    I bought a sport packaged DSG 2.0T 2006 A3 in Ocean Blue. The metallic paint, DSG, and sport package w/ performance tires are the only options/extras I paid for.

I love the car (especially how it drives and handles, though I haven't been able to drive it much as its frustrating to adhere to the break-in period which is 650 miles (I'm at about 450), but it did/does have some quality control/fit and finish issues that are disappointing.

1) Loose plastic panel on the left rear pillar right behind the rear door on the side of the top part of the seat back (maybe that's where they hid the Lojack transmitter???) can't think of any other reason how they'd overlook this loose/ill fitting plastic piece. It won't clip/notch back in easily, and I'm surprised I didn't notice it myself.
    2) ugly brown/rusty-looking line (about 1/4" thick) across one of my dual exhaust tips (across the whole length visible)
    3) Small scratch finish defect on glove box plastic panel (hard to notice since its facing downward and usually in the shadows).
    4) Light hairline scratches all around the right front passenger door around the door handle (how'd the paint get all scratched up?, but only noticeable in bright sunlight).
    5) Small but distinct hairline scratch (1/4" long) on aluminum door handle on the interior of the right front passenger door.
    6) Now this one is really nitpicky, as you have to look at the right angles and with the right lighting to see this hairline scratch on the aluminum trim on the driver's side front door (the upper trim piece panel near the window).
    7) Detailing/cleaning job was so-so prior to delivery (Downtown LA Audi)
    I might be forgetting something else.... as I don't have the actual list I'm making to keep track of so that I can take it to an Audi dealer and have them fix all of these defects/imperfections (less number 6, that one I did notice prior to delivery and it dissappeared for the most part when they cleaned it). I hope that Audi can correct all of these little fit and finish flaws. Any one of these is nothing, but since the list is adding up, it is getting very frustrating that a brand new car has so many fit and finish problems. You would NEVER EVER see a Honda with fit and finish like this. So much for the so-called German/Audi fit and finish quality reviews.
    It's also a quality control issue.

All that being said, I think it is a great car, fun to drive as all hell (and I haven't even really driven it very spirited yet as still breaking-in), great engine, great DSG tranny, great gas mileage for a first tank (I'd estimate 26 MPG with 85% highway driving, but some acceleration/down shift tests, but not 100% throttle of course, and not maintaining anything over 5,000 RPM). I love the looks, style, and Ocean Blue color. I love the handling, no body roll, and the Dunlop performance tires refuse to squeal! They just grip and grip! Very grippy.

So far.... I'd say its a 8.5 to 9 out of 10. Let me judge it a month from now again.
  • redtanharedtanha Member Posts: 1
    I've been researching an A3 for a long while now, benefitting quite a bit from this forum, and just took the plunge. The details:

2.0T DSG Sport
    Lava Gray/Gray
    Convenience
    Open Sky
    Cold Weather
    Bluetooth
    12 miles

Paid: $30,060 + $99 dealer fee, tax, and tags.

Edmund's invoice is $29,786 (seems about $80 too low) and I think the $495 for PDI and regional advertising is legitimate, so $29,786 + $495 = $30,281. Even with the dealer fee, I feel like I came out well.

I bought at Criswell Audi in Annapolis, MD after talking to a number of dealers in the D.C. metro area. The Criswell people were laid back, friendly, prompt, and straightforward; I highly recommend them.

(Another dealer, HBL in Virginia, was aloof and did not adhere to a written estimate that they gave me.)

The car is a blast. This 600 mile break-in period is lasting much too long for my taste...
  • luckymess7luckymess7 Member Posts: 3
    I've been doing my homework here for some time and am ready to pull the trigger on buying a new A3. My question is, when is the BEST time to buy? I thought perhaps waiting until the 2007s were on their way, then moving in to scoop up a 2006 at a better price. But, I could be dreaming. Anyone have a good Buying-time strategy?

Also, any word on when the 2007s will be coming out?

Thanks
    I found the end of the month, and particularly the end of a quarter such as March 31st to work well for me.
    Now that it is official that there will be an S version of the A3 in October, does this influence your buying decision at all? Of course, there will be no bargains to be had on this little pocket rocket. At least not at first. Just curious.
    Where was the S- version information posted?

And how does this "S version" of the A3 differ from the 2.0 T S_line version?
    Autoweek magazine is a normally reliable source of upcoming models. In the April 10 issue and again in the May 15 issue (p. 19) is mention of an Audi S3 to be offered in the fall, along with the S6 V10 and the S8 V10 models. The S3 is not to be confused with the currently available S-line. No further details were given. I wish I knew more.
    Since the S line 2.0 is going to be the current A3 with the sport package, I don't see much of a price increase for this car or any reason to wait for the S-line 2.0. As for the S3, all reports I've seen is that the US won't see the S3 before 2008 at the earliest.
    If S3 comes in 2008, won't it most likely be based on the Golf Mk 6 platform? That would let Audi put in a bigger engine and offer a bigger dose of sport handling and performance.

A side note: Most of the "other" A3 forums speak of nothing but re-chipping the engines to get out every last HP. In some cases the results are shredded trans or half axles. But the chipping goes on.

I really wonder if the service techs and dealers catch this sort of thing.
    All we know is that the European S3 is a 272 hp version of the 2.0 liter engine with quattro and a 6 speed. I question whether you could put the added hp to use without quattro.
    Also, if they do catch the chip, your warranty is voided, Not worth it IMHO
  • coreyccoreyc Member Posts: 1
    I just got the following for $300 under invoice from San Francisco's dealer:

A3 2.0 DSG Lava Grey
    Premium Package
    Open Sky
    Premium Sound
    Bluetooth

Multiple dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area are offering $200-$300 under invoice, including (depending on circumstances):

* San Rafael
    * Oakland
    * San Francisco
    * Palo Alto
    * Burlingame

Now is the time to buy since they need to get rid of the '06s to make room for the '07s.

Good luck!
  • pokipokipokipoki Member Posts: 2
    I am about to buy my first "NEW" car from a dealer. I am looking at the same A3 2.0 package without the bluetooth. This may be a general question but what is the best way to approach the dealer?
    - What is the best deal you can give me?
    - I want the car for $xx,xxx.xx?
    - I want it for $xxx under invoice? (will dealers ever tell you what the invoice price is?)

I hope to be in my A3 soon, I just don't want to be screwed by a dealer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    A few random thoughts about the buying process:

Consumer Reports makes this suggestion: Never negotiate down from the window sticker. Ålways negotiate up from the "real" dealer price. The "real" dealer price is not invoice, but the true price paid to the manufacturer after any dealer holdbacks (manufacturer incentives offered to the dealer) are deducted by the dealer from the so-called invoice. This information is not easy to get but it can be done. Consumer Reports will provide it for a nominal price (worth it, by the way). KBB.com will give you a fairly good idea what the invoice price is with the options you want, but will not tell you of any dealer holdbacks that are in effect. These can vary from dealer to dealer.

Your first suggestion "What is the best deal, etc.?" should never be spoken and I assume you are not serious. The salesman's reply to such a statement will often be something like this: "How much are you willing to pay?" This does not justify a response. Another trick they will try, once you have made an offer, is to say "Is that the best you can do?" This simply means they want you to negotiate with yourself. Do not fall for that either. Always be prepared to walk out the door if you believe you are being taken advantage of. Do not fall in love with a car or you are bargaining from a position of weakness.

Go in with a price in mind that you have given a good deal of thought to and be firm. This forum will provide good information from contributors with similar experiences. Take the time to read previous posts. As we near the end of a model year, good deals should be coming. If you can wait until the end of summer, the deals should even get better.

Good luck to you.
    While CU has worthwhile advice, keep in mind that the dealer has to make __some__ profit in order to stay in business.
    Some schleps pocket nearly all of it, others try to give the customer something back in way of better service or support.

The good and bad of the USA Automotive situation is the dealer, whether a standalone or part of a chain like Autonation, is an __independent businessperson__. And (sadly) the auto manufacturers expects the __dealer__ to perform all service and support for the product.

Also check the BBB, Chamber of Commerce, and other local sources to see how many complaints a given dealer may have outstanding, and/or whether there is a record of problems with customers. This is not foolproof, but can help weed out outright crooks.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Nobody is really getting "screwed" when they buy an A3. The average 30k A3 2.0 Turbo has less than $2000 of dealer profit. Even if you walk up and pay MSRP, your dealer is not licking their chops in how much money they made off an A3 sale. They probably make far money on used cars, Certified Audis, and the higher end stuff. So don't act so paranoid about buying an A3.

Maybe a few dealers will sell a little under invoice on 06's to clear them off the lot. 07's will be here in late July to early August.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So what price did you get, before and after taxes and registration?

Since people seem to define invoice differently "$300 under" doesn't tell us as much.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    Any info on the changes for '07 A3 models besides the S version and changes in maintaince paid for in warranty period? Debating between buy '06 or wait for '07. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.