Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    If that is their intention, then they'll have no trouble.... because, no one will lease at those residuals...

I think that is a hard way to go... Once you top $25K for a luxury import, you'll have more leasers than buyers... Seems like they are giving away a big piece of the market.. Maybe not so much on the $25K strippers.... but, a lot of them will be right around $30K..... $575/mo. finance payments will price a lot of people out of the market...

Hopefully for the buyers, actual resale will be better than those residuals...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Totally agree. 48-50% residuals is what dodge numbers? YUK!

DL
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    $575/mo. finance payments will price a lot of people out of the market...

Without a significant raise I'm out. Too bad about the terrible leases. Test drove a 2.0 DSG and fell in love. Guess I'll have to drive the Camry a bit longer. :cry:

-c
  • 8_track8_track Member Posts: 3
    Base + metallic paint + DSG. MSRP 27,390, selling price 26,125.
    I'll be leasing it but haven't squared away the terms just yet. Audi Finance is out of the question, their money rates are 6.9% and higher. Most dealers in my area are going with Chase who is working in the 3.9% - 4.9% range. Residuals at 15k miles are 51% for 36 months and 46% for 42, a little better for 12k miles. Chase has some nice features like pre-buying extra miles upfront at a discount (I run up miles and this helps avoid big over-charge at the end), and $1,000 damage allowance so you don't have to deal with nickel-and-dime stuff at lease end. The tradeoff is slightly higher fee structure.
  • john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
    An A3 with the following options:

-DSG transmission
    -Lava Gray Pearl with black leather interior
    -Sport Package
    -Convenience Package
    -Open Sky Option
    -Sound Option
    -Bluetooth Option

$31,329

I'll be adding the Phatbox aftermarket, as well as the splashguards and cargo mat.
  • istrvtistrvt Member Posts: 2
    Stick+Premium+Cold Weather+Lava Gray+destination
    MSPR - $28,635

Got car for $27,725.

Other dealer was willing to go 200 less on car but had ~400 more in fees.
  • legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    50% is not bad at all for leasing, a G35 sedan is around 55% and so is the 2005 3 series.
    Dodge numbers are somewhere in the 30%-40% range (except for the Viper, which is like 59%).
    Thats the old E46 model. the New 3er is 62% on 36 months and 75% on 24 months. As for a dodge and mass produced japanese vehicle enough said ;) . Its clear Audi does Not want to lease the A3,but sell them and thats ok by me. Hopefully the residual is not a accurate barometer of what the true resell value will be.....

DL
  • legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    yea I meant the E46 model (aka 2005 3 series). Yea your right the NEW 2006 3 series is really high. As for why you said Audi does not want to lease the A3 is not very clear to me at all :confuse:.
    If they wanted to lease the car, they would set the residuals and money factors at a level that would generate sales..

When the lease price for a $37K BMW and a $30K A3 are the same.... you have to figure that Audi doesn't want to lease the A3.. It just isn't competitive... Especially for an '06 model... those are low residuals...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• chocothunderchocothunder Member Posts: 1
    what city was this in?
  • lovea3lovea3 Member Posts: 3
    I just drove off an A3 from the dealer, and the MSRP was $ 29,640 that includes DSG, Sport Pkg. and Sound. I got it for $ 28, 366. Approx. $ 1,300 off the sticker!!!

I really preferred manual before I test drove the DSG, and it is great and so much fun. I was the manual guy, but after test driving that DSG, it is unbelievable!

A great car for under $ 30 K!! Very fun to drive!!!!!
  • 8_track8_track Member Posts: 3
    Danbury, CT
  • alobaralobar Member Posts: 4
    My A3:
    Lava gray, Premium, Open Sky, Sound, Xenon, DSG
    Total MSRP: 31,915
    PAID: $31,415, plus iPod adapter INSTALLED (a $500 value, according to my dealer)

So, saved about $1000 total? Not bad for San Francisco, where the dealers aren't into giving big discounts
  • mannyfreshmannyfresh Member Posts: 10
    Could anyone please help me justify getting a Certified pre-owned 2004 Nogaro blue S4 w/ 39,000 miles (asking price is $35,000) on it vs. getting a fully loaded A3 for approximately $30,000?? Is the S4 a good value, i guess, is what I am asking.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The miles on that S4 are kinda high, but getting it certified with the 6/100k warranty thru Audi is a good idea. 35 grand doesn't seen unreasonable for the S4. But it's a totally difffernt car than the A3.

Gas mileage and the fact it's a brand new 06 are big differences. The A3 is a blast to drive, but it's front vs AWD. Not a bad decision either way, IMO. Also, your driving habits come into play. If you buy an 04 with 40k miles on it and drive a lot, you could be really racking up the miles on the S4 quickly.
  • jtnamejtname Member Posts: 10
    Will Audi offer incentives for buyers later down the line. My 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi truck had a sticker price of $30,000 but I got it for $25,000 at the end of 2003. I also have 0% apr for 60 months. any chance of anything like this on the A3?
  • tgrundketgrundke Member Posts: 6
    Highly, highly, highly doubtful. Audi is usually very careful about incentives, as are most European luxury brands. The best you will probably ever see from Audi is a low-interest finance program like Audi offers right now: 3.9% up to 48 months and 4.9% up to 66 months.

Getting a $5,000 discount plus 0% financing is a purely domestic necessity. In short, the domestic automakers are saying, "our cars stink so much we have to pay *you* to buy them".
  • tgrundketgrundke Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased my A3 6MT with sport, xenon, convenience, cold weather, open sky and Nav+/Sound for $500 over invoice and 4.9% for 60 months from Audi Financial. Great deal, great dealership and great salesperson
    Uh oh, shipo...

tgrundke just bought your car... ;)

Hey, tgrundke.. can you give us the actual numbers? MSRP and price paid before TTL?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 452820452820 Member Posts: 6
    Lava gray, DSG, premium package, sound package, XM radio, open sky.
    Got this car from Power Audi in Newport Beach, California.

MSRP $31765
    Price paid $30415

Most of what they have on the lot have the sport package for some reason. I don't think the A3 is selling as well as the dealer claimed (because of the $1350 discount I am getting). But it's good to be finding undervalued stocks, right?
  • matwagsmatwags Member Posts: 21
    Which dealership? What MSRP?
  • wunderkidwunderkid Member Posts: 14
    Competition is definately a factor. Bought yesterday in DC area: AT, white, cold weather, open sky, premium, sirius for 29550 (MSRP: 31115).
  • miniguyminiguy Member Posts: 5
    I've seen some comments on the A3 being expensive, but if you look at pricing between a Jetta GLI and an A3 with similar options, the VW is only about 2k less, and with the 2k you get an extra year warranty, maint.plus it's an Audi, well at least it doesn't look like a Corolla. Anyway, the thing that perplexes me is that the Jetta with the 2.0T is only about a grand cheaper than the new Passat with the 2.0T and the Value Passat is actually less, which both looks better and is much nicer inside, go figure.
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Member Posts: 28
    But the Jetta 2.0T or GLI has quite a few more features than the Passat 2.0T.
  • frankiethedogfrankiethedog Member Posts: 1
    Black/Black
    2.0T 6MT - Premium
    NAV+
    Cold weather
    Open Sky
    Sirius
    $30,600 (+Tax/License)
  • audiable3audiable3 Member Posts: 2
    Mostly I have been finding the party line is "$500 off MSRP" for any A3 on the lot. Build to order is strictly MSRP and a four month wait. Slightly negotiable if you want a build-to-order that just happens to already be in shipment to the dealer, but not always. Dealer after dealer says this.

My favorite color happens to be Murano Geen (I know, I am strange that way). Only one dealer I found so far had one, and they admitted that it was an experiment. (It was stripped! No options, base price. I defintely want opensky, so I passed.) They said every green Audi they have ever had has never sold well. They did say that the hot red A3s were far more popular than other red Audis. It has sport appeal (their explanation).

Now a question for you all: I am offered $750 over *invoice* for an Audi A3, metallic silver, light grey interior, premium, nav, cold, opensky, no bluetooth. The invoice they are quoting is correct. The downer is that it has over 500 miles of test drives on it, and I have no idea who torqued it how far in those drives. What do you think of this offer? If anyone abused it, will I find out before the warranty expires?
  • levzhlevzh Member Posts: 3
    Leased in North of Boston from IRA Audi - picked up on 10/25
    DSG
    Red
    Premium
    OpenSky
    ColdWeather

Price negotiated 29700
    MSRP 30765

Traded in 2003 Protege5 - got 9800 cash
    Also used $200 rebate from my AUDI visa card ( that was sweet)
    I think they robbed me on the lease though 36 month - 469/month with 3000 down

Other notes:
    The allowed me to take car for test drive with all my family ( my wife, me, 2 kids) - no salesperson.

I wish they were selling Sunpackage - (test car had it but it's no longer available includes rear window sunshades) - it's great if you have small kids. Anybody know where can I buy it separately. According to dealer it was only available on early demo models in premium package without fog lights. They no longer offer it here.

It's a buty and it rocks.
  • tiwenzo22tiwenzo22 Member Posts: 1
    I was just reading your options and it seems like the exact configuration I was looking at and the MSRP pricing on that is just above $34K. Wondering how you struck that deal. LMK
  • levzhlevzh Member Posts: 3
    I think I annoyed them a bit ..
    LMK, my strategy was simple - come in on a worst day and rather early - i.e. no customers; also in the end of the month. We were in dealership twice - both times in pouring rain. Note though first time we tried the car in May and they played a tag game for a while. Said first time NO, but came in later - 5 months later to be exact.
    Honestly - I don't think they are selling the car that well. When we test drove again in mid October - we were still test driving the one with no fog lights, but with sun -package. As I learned these were original "test drive" cars.
    Persistance - that's my take on it.

p.s We had 2 inches of wet snow on Saturday - the car was "glued" to the road. I felt much better then in my P5 with the same road conditions.
    Good luck.
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 6
    looking to buy a used 2006 A3.
    here are the specs that i know...

5 months old.
    DSG
    open sky sunroof.
    tinted windows.
    custom installed pioneer mp3/cd player powered by subwoofer.
    14K miles (that's a lot of miles)

for 22K.

any thoughts?
  • nvnicknvnick Member Posts: 50
    Anyone know what the November residual & money factor is for the A3 Sport? How can Audi justify not discounting a car that is averaging less than 700 units sold per month (US sales)?

A3: Oct 631 sold, Sep 621, Aug 738, Jul 763, Jun 564
    A4: 4069 4782 3883 3933 3881
    Jetta average 9500/month, Passat 4500/mo, 3 series 9300/mo
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    You wrote:
    Anyone know what the November residual & money factor is for the A3 Sport? How can Audi justify not discounting a car that is averaging less than 700 units sold per month (US sales)?
    A3: Oct 631 sold, Sep 621, Aug 738, Jul 763, Jun 564
    A4: 4069 4782 3883 3933 3881
    Jetta average 9500/month, Passat 4500/mo, 3 series 9300/mo

Thanks for looking up these numbers.

Sounds to me like Audi's doing all it can to squeeze out all of the money it can from those interested in the A3. [see for instance the Quattro A3 conundrum]

It's not like these cars are sitting around in huge inventories. That's the thing that leads to big discounts. Low sales numbers alone will not lead to discounts, particularly when a number of people are already plopping their money down and waiting a couple months for their A3 to arrive off the boat. But keeping shipments and sales this low means we should expect to keep prices fairly high (where 1K off MSRP is considered very good) for a while. Arrgghh.

On a different note, anyone know when 2007 A3's will be coming out? May / September of 06? Thanks.
  • spyder52spyder52 Member Posts: 30
    All, i just hated when people are getting quotes for few hundreds under sticker. That's bogus! The fact is A3s are not all over the road, yes dealers are selling a few but trust me they are willing to make deals. Bottomline is no matter what they tell you about their discount off sticker, you need to figure out what you think the car is worth and offer them that amount firm then walk and be willing to wait. If you excise some restraint you will get it for what you are willing to pay. As long as there is a profit(healthy or low), some Audi dealer won't even return your email but others will try very hard to get your sale it really depends on the dealer and their sales situation. SO you need to do your homework.

Here's a sample, after just few calls and 10 emails to dealers in So Cal, without trying Audi of Pasadena CA offered $300 over invoice over email. I think I can do better, I am almost sure in a few month they will do invoice. A3 is a great car, but in this economy very very selected few car can hold near sticker value, market sets the pricing (that's you), you get to decide what it is worth.

In my opinion only cars you won't have much negotiation leverage on is the hybrids, any other cars can be bought as near invoice or lower if you willing to shop around, bargin hard and not willing to cave in so easily. As long as your got the money, somebody will be willing to work with you. I only shop with dealers who is nice to me and willing to work with my budget. The one who is arogant and cocky, well they can kiss my commission good bye and continue to stand on their expensive showroom floor and stare at the sticker pricing they want to sell at. So keep in mind you have the upper hand, so use it wisely, don't never ever give in so easily, be picky, make them EARN your money.
  • rridgebackrridgeback Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for that advice, Spyder52. It really is true. I've been looking at the A3 since I saw the Demo in April but without any good leases being offered on them, I just can't do it. Plus, I'm upside down in my current vehicle. I went to 2 different dealers and was basically told the same thing - I'd have to do a straight buy and there really was no mention of a discount, maybe $800. The dealer here only has 3 and only 2 of them has Open Sky. I have only seen one A3 on the road so far. Dealer basically said the only way we could make a deal work is to go with the A4, which is also a nice car but my preference is the A3. I can't understand why there is no incentive of any sort to lease. Is there anyway to find out if there will be once the quattro gets here - finally offer something on the front wheel drive. Plus, the VW Golf will be out in January, right? Won't that be competition? It's so frustrating to know what you want and be told you cannot have it but I don't want the dealer to know how badly I want one.
  • kinoeyekinoeye Member Posts: 2
    Got a quote from a dealer offering a fully optioned A3 at "invoice". The quoted price seems to match-up with what I can find on the internet.

Though, there are two items that seem suspicious. $200 for regional advertising and $195 for preparation and inspection.

Are these reasonable fees or is there where the dealer is making their money?

When asked why they were willing to sell at invoice, the dealer explained that the car had been around since July and they were looking to move it.

Any advice?
    You are not getting at invoice then, that's it. You are getting the car at $395 above invoice (if your invoice matches Edmund's invoice figure). Your dealer is not being honest with you, tell them and walk!

The fact is they can call it whatever they want about the fees, doc fees, bs fee... Bottomline is every dollar you pay above dealer cost is their profit. They should upfront with you about. They don't think you are very smart.

If you still chose to do business with them then I think you should let them know price offered with fees would make the car above invoice, then offer them what you want to pay, do not justify why you offered what you offered, if you do you fall to their trap. They will make you feel sorry for how little they are making.

Keep the offer very simple, forget the sticker. IT's a one two process. One, do your homework find out what it cost. Two, offer what you willing to pay. Done!

Audi is a hot car but it's no Lexus or Bimmer, they simple do not command a market premium like Lexus or Bimmer. This is not to say Audi is not a hot car.
  • kinoeyekinoeye Member Posts: 2
    I prefer ignorant over stupid but yes, I'm a first time buyer and they likely sense it. Sounds like the fees are outside the realm of 'required', such as taxes, license and registration. Regardless, your advise and approach makes sense and I thank you for that.
  • thebody5thebody5 Member Posts: 20
    No those are real charges that the deal pays. The preperation charges goes towards inspection charges at the port of enetry and also pays for the car to be preped by the dealership. The advertising charge is what the dealer pays audi to have there name and local attached to print and television adds.

As for any serious discounts or leases you just won't see it happen. Audi only expects or want to sell 10,000 of these cars here the first year. They are on target for what they expect to do. That is why there is not a lot of inventory for this car. This year is a kind of test for our market with this car. We may see stuff come as audi gains more confidence in our reaction to this car. Good luck shopping. Just remember to if you owned the business would you want to sell you products at cost or below cost. Not going to make much of a profit or stay in business long.
  • jxbst15jxbst15 Member Posts: 21
    This may just be the market where I live (DC area), but I'm not sure the A3 is doing so well. I went to CarsDirect for a quote and they provided one the same day that was $400 over invoice for a fully optioned A3. I'm sure if I called around and did my due diligence I could find one at or below invoice.
    To All Readers: This is your typical dealer pitch, they simply want you to think the they are passing through real cost to you. Does it sound legit? Who knows, bottomline is unless you see dealer writes a check for these cost, don't believe it! Anything you can not verify yourself, it's probably a pitch from some dude just came out of dealer's "how to get pass NO from customer" class.

To the dealer: yes you are fully entitled to make profit, that's why you are in business for. However, your ability to make money is not consumer's concern. Customers are here to look for what they need, and get it from you at their budget or what they think the car is worth. This is called market sets the pricing of the car, regardless your cost. Everyday cars are sold at a loss, look at GM and Ford, they are broke! Why? They make poor cars. On the other hand Audi makes awesome cars however they are not as established as BMW or Lexus, these company don't discount as much and have higher resale because their cars are better.
  • nvnicknvnick Member Posts: 50
    Audi only expects or want to sell 10,000 of these cars here the first year. They are on target for what they expect to do.

Wow, there must be some huge discounts coming to boost sales volume, as Oct YTD sales total 4,053. Sales peaked in July at a whopping 763, with Aug 738, Sep 621, Oct 631. Car went on sale in March, with 47 units sold. As much as I like the A3 DSG (and I'm almost 40 -- way too old for a hatchback), if there aren't incentives by January, there won't be an A3 for sale in the US in 2007...just like the 318ti, the C230 coupe, and, as of yesterday, the Phaeton.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "...I'm almost 40 -- way too old for a hatchback..."

Hmmm, I'm almost 50 and haven't driven a hatchback since 1995. That said, even after picking up a new A3 (assuming that I do), I still won't consider myself to be driving a hatchback (a small Estate Wagon, yes, a hatchback, no).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I look at it as the VW Corrado I never got. So Hot hatch tag or no , its ok by me. A 2.0TQ is almost being demanded by VW enthusiast I hope they get a clue.

DL
    A3 is a hot car, its got a awesome interior and when I saw it in Ocean Blue Pearl with Gray leather with Spt Pkg, I thought the car was gorgeous. As far as the 10000 per year sales goal, by comparison to BIG car companys this is a tiny number, but Audi itself is a small volume brand, so 10000 for the first year model on a new body style is by no means small figure. I think they are stretching a bit here, and yes to reach 10000 units sold they will need to put on some sort of incentive but then again they probably will do that anyways during mid year to spice up the sales.
    As long as the car is beautiful and drives nice, it will sell and will continue to be sold. While the sales figure is not hot, it doesn't really say a lot about the car just yet. The fact is it has gotten great reviews everywhere I have to yet to read a negative review, as Gas pricing stay high consumer will start to consider, or think, small, sporty, luxury, and pratical. I like the car a lot, with dealer selling closer to invoice it's a good deal but no bargin just yet as the options adds up quickly. Once incentives kick in that's when I will consider to make a move.
  • plastixplastix Member Posts: 10
    Does Audi typically offer incentives? I've never even shopped for an Audi before, so I'm not too familiar with the marque's pricing policies/tendencies. I must admit that I have yet to see an A3 on the street, here in Boston. Clearly, they're not jumping off showroom floors. But that's a separate matter than actually offering factory-to-consumer incentives to move A3 product.

FWIW, it's my sister who's seriously looking to buy. She's shopping in the L.A. area, and has gotten quotes of $300 above, and $600 below invoice. Actually, the second dealer offered "$1000" below invoice, and then proceeded to stick on $400 of bogus "dealer prep" and "regional advertising" fees. Yes, they're bogus, thebody5. (It would be like going to Ralphs to buy a 25-cent apple, and then being charged an extra nickel for "unloading the apple from the truck" or "advertising in the Times." But I digress.) Has anyone else scored deals BELOW invoice?
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    dl7265: Did you know VW is coming out with a NEW Corrado???
  • joy12joy12 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an AudiA3 sport in moro blue,open sky,sound pkg.
    They want me to pay 31190. Their "invoice" total is 29433 which includes a $395 "port fee" (not the $720 destination) Negotiations won't occur until the car reaches the lot. Of course this is done on purpose so when you see the car, you will be willing to pay. I want to offer 29900 :confuse:
  • dc_davedc_dave Member Posts: 52
    I hope not. I have a 2000 Passat Wagon with the 1.8L Turbo; it’s been in the shop at least a dozen times for unscheduled maintenance. Most of it has been out of warranty and its cost me quite a bit not to mention tons of frustration and inconvenience. Now I'm shopping for a new car and really like the A3 3.2 Quattro BUT if it’s going to be just as unreliable as my VW then forget it.

How is Audi's service? VW must have the WORST service in the business; from VW of North America all the way down to the dealers…they are terrible!

Dave in VA
    :lemon:
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The A3 is reportedly a near break-even car for Audi, financially. It's there at an entry level price so people can get into the Audi brand. I doubt you'll see any incentives on the A3 anytime soon. The 3.2 DSG can get pretty pricey with options, but at that 25-30k price bracket, don't expec to see any lease specials or rebates on the 2.0T.
This discussion has been closed.