Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Questions about Fuel Systems

2»

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like a bad ignition switch.
  • sap1sap1 Member Posts: 4
    I have 1992 toyota camry v-6 that i had the gas filler pipe replaced. After replacing this and filling my tank i noticed i had a gas leak from the tank area. When i took it back the mechanic stated the small braided hose to the filler pipe was the problem so i replaced this. When I filled it up it leaked again dripping down from the tank. The mechanic then said i have a hole in the tank. This problem did not exist before i replaced the filler pipe.

When you drive it about 40 miles i do not notice any gas leak. What else can I do. The gas tank on this car is very expensive and i do not want to replace unless necessary
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Seriously, take it to another mechanic for second opinion. Your first one is simply guessing and replacing parts at your expense.
  • sdrowesdrowe Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the head on the 2.2 L dodge omni. The timing is correct, fuel is getting to the carb and good spark to all cylinders. But, the engine won't start, I think when I had the head off I fliped over the head and activated the fuel shutoff safety device. How do I reset the fuel shoutoff safety device?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Do a compression test on the cylinders, to confirm that your camshaft timings are correct.
  • thursty_turtlethursty_turtle Member Posts: 9
    I have a 93 ford thunderbird 5.0 and i have to crank it for a few seconds to start it at all times but when its very cold it dies sometimes and the second time i crank it it fires right up and fuel pump is making noise at all times as well other than that it runs perfectly no hesitation and plenty of power also idles smooth is this the start of a major problem replies appreciated thank you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would check pressure in the fuel rail. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator is bleeding off. Also perhaps the rail is not being primed when you turn the key to "ON", before you crank. This would be a relay problem.
    Thank you, but do you mean the fuel pump relay or a diffren't one also what about the fuel pump noise its working but is very annoying and i don't know how to test the fuel pressure ty again.
    Listen very carefully for the noise when you turn the key to the on position do not start the engine if you hear the noise then its probably the pump.It will run for a few seconds when you turn the key on if not I think you may have a vacuum hose leak.
    Yes you need a gauge and a T fitting to test pressure in the fuel rail. Also there is a fuel pressure regulator that might be leaking. What I'm driving at is that at night the fuel pressure may bleed off in your system so that the fuel pump has to prime the entire system before the car can start.
    OK but I have to crank it for a few seconds every time i start it not just in the morning, and what relay did you mean is there more than one for the fuel system thanks for your help.
    I couldn't say without looking at the workshop manual for your particular car, sorry. Strangely enough, there is remarkably little standardization among automakers. But it would be good to check the fuel rail pressure before you go barking up the wrong tree.
    Alright I will give that a try thank you.
  • valensdadvalensdad Member Posts: 1
    my wife was driving her 2000 lincoln navigator when it stalled and died and would not start back on her about 1/4 mile after she left our house. when i got there i did the normal check (air, spark, fuel) when i checked the fuel relief valve no fuel was coming out, but pumps stills run. i havent got a pressure guage yet, but i also noticed the oil pressure guage droped but the oil level is correct. She said it never ran hot are anything, just stalled and died. im really worried that its something serious b/c i know anytime your oil pressure drops its not good. PLEASE HELP!!!
    check the dip stick. If it shows way overfill, then you have fuel dilution in the oil. This is just a longshot guess but it does match your symptoms. If this proves to be so, do NOT under any circumstance try to start this car.

Fuel dilution is caused by leaking injectors.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    How could you read the oil pressure guage if you couldn't get it started? Even if the pump runs it doesn't mean the fuel pressure is right, or even if fuel is flowing. The regulator could have failed, or the pump itself could be running but not outputting anything (not as likely), the filter could be clogged badly (again not as likely). The fuel pump volume should be checked along with the pressure.
  • trp1trp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S automatic which is stalling while i am driving. Also, when I went to start it this morning, it attempted to kick over but wouldn't until the 8th attempt. Is this a fuel injection issue? I received a letter from the mini manufacturer regarding their high pressure fuel pump in which they have extended the warranty due to problems. The car has only 39,000 miles.