Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 BMW X5

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I see that kbb.com has specs and pricing for the 2007 X5. They list the weight of the 4.8i as 5535 lb. I sure hope that's wrong. I expected it to weigh more than the '06 model, but not that much more.
  • vito2vito2 Member Posts: 1
    The 07 X5 has 2 engine options, the new 3.0 at 260 hp or the 4.8. The 3.0 base price is 45,900.00 and the base for 4.8 is 54,500.00. There are some great photos on this website: http://www.peakebmw.com/2007X5.htm
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    i can totally relate - my wife has a 2005 LR3 and it's been in the shop constantly. it's a beautiful truck and rides great - when it rides! lot's of little things that add up, plus land rover service (orlando/central florida)is completely understaffed and junior league. as much as we like the truck itself, we're going elsewhere when the lease expires next december. lexus, bmw or audi seem the right way to go.
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    Hello, i currently have a 750 Li and it rides great so im really into BMWs but the mercedes GL450 is making me have second thoughts so can anyone advise me for which car to choose, the BMW X5 or the Mercedes Benz GL450
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    so legroom can be adjusted?...thanks
    The X5 brochure says the top speed is 150 mph. Is that scary or what!
  • dianegdianeg Member Posts: 6
    I have read many negative reviews about run flat tires...will the new X5 have run flat tires? I want to order the new X5 with the third row seat & its says in the brochure I have you cannot have a "space saver" spare tire...does that mean I cannot have any spare tire? Ihave a 2002 X5 & was so looking forward to purchasing the 2007 X5 but if I cannot get it with a spare, I will not order it.
    DianeG
  • riffmeisterriffmeister Member Posts: 6
    The new X5 comes with run-flat tires. It is possible to get conventional all-season tires ( limited size options) but if you choose to go with conventional tires you cannot order the 3rd row seating option. That space is used for a spare tire - a small space saver type.
    Are you saying that BMW is going to offer conventional tires as an option? I haven't seen any mention of that in any of their press releases. That would be an attractive option. It is most unfortunate that because of their perceived need to offer a third row seat they make everyone get run-flat tires. I don't like run-flat tires; I don't even like the concept. (Say I have a flat tire in a remote area of the American west. So I can drive 90 miles at 50 mph. Then what do I do?) They say the rims are specially designed for run-flat tires. Can you mount conventional tires on them?
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    The GL450 is a much bigger than the new X5. Ten inches longer. Id get the Audi Q7, unless your not into Audis, then i would go with the X5. The Gl seems very boring and I think it will be outdated very soon.
    Thanks for the advice, id go with the BMW X5 because im not really into audis but just out of curiosity would you get the audi or the X5
    I am leaning toward the Q7...no runflat tires & extra space.
    We had Audis in the early 80s & really liked them...they got such a bad reputation then that we bought other vehicles. We have had two BMWs recently & really like them but the runflat tires & no spare with third row seat bothers me...I, as a female at 65 yrs need to have a car that I can get a new tire easily...I drive a lot out of town...summer & winter often by myself. The extra space in the Q7 esp. when driving my grandkids. I still need to see & drive the new X5.
  • stv187stv187 Member Posts: 4
    run flat tires will run about $200 each... oh my flat :)
    Personally i like the Audi a little more. I have actually ordered one allready. i guess if the x5 came out earlier i might have considered it, but i think it will be too small for me anyway (i used to have a Toyota Sequoia). I think the styling is great on both, but i slightly prefer the Audi interoir. However, i know the BMW will drive much more like...a BMW, which is a definate plus. I think it depends on what you are using the car for. It is a trip car for us, but if it was my everyday car, i would easily pick the X5 for its dynamics.
    Well I actually chose the X5 because of the interior and the technology it has. The main reason I didnt like the audi was because of the interior. I thought it was too plain and i saw that it isnt a very safe car because it didnt pass the safety test at first. If the audi had an entertainment system, then i wouldve considered it. But the main reason is that im in love with BMWs. I used to have a 5 series but sold it after i got my 2006 750Li in Feb. so im looking forward to getting another BMW in Nov.
    Yea BMW's are great! I probably would have gone for the x5 if it had been released sooner. I just fell in love with the Q7 exterior styling and ordered it...I think it will be a good car.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Are you going to apply for a change to your handle?

M
    merc1,
    If i was to go for a change to my handle, I would be going more to the mercedes benz and Range Rover direction but not for the Audi SUVs. Although i might consider the Audi R8 that is coming out. But the BMW has already attracted me with their new 3 series hardtop. Although it can't be compared with the super R8 but im really looking forward to driving a convertible that can fold the top down on the key fob. I will first look for my SUV/SAV though. And i apologize for going a little off topic.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    A handful of you probably know me from other posts. I confuse myself with new ideas day, after day, after day.

Today, I thought... "Well, I'm giving the A3 [my winter car] to my son in a few years... why am I just restricting myself to 535xi's and 328xi's [for my next winter car]? I might as well look at an SUV."

So immediately, it hit me. X5! As if you can't tell, I want a BMW for my next winter car (as odd as it is that an Audi would be me three-season car and a BMW, my winter driver), and because my wife is trading in her RX for an XJ8 or E350 4Matic in January (she's driving them next week), we won't have an SUV any more. I think it makes sense. The X5 is fun-to-drive, the new one is very good-looking, the interior has been vastly improved and it's not too big for me, while the Q7 is. Another bonus is that it would be in the vicinity of the 530xi's price, with options, give or take a few thousand. Sounds like a good deal to me. I may also look at the Cayenne S- but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Any comments about the car? Haven't seen one on the road yet, but I'm excited. Hopefully it will impress me as much as the Q7 has. For some reason, I see the GL as lukewarm- even though it's opened to rave reviews. I'll have to drive one to see why it's so great.

Thanks.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Killer looks...killer interoir...killer wheels...killer car! You should get it!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah if the GL and Q7 are too big you will likely find the X5 to be just right. It might be the best in its class for 2007.

M
  • reloprincessreloprincess Member Posts: 14
    Lexus 4601
    Have you actually bought the 2007 x5. Would you share what deal you negotiated?
    Are dealers really holding out for full sticker price as I have been told by local dealers around here?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    We own an X3. We have extensive experience with the current X5 and we now have been to the unveiling of the new X5 in both 6 and 8 flavors.

I have the new X5 price guide and I spent two days with a $63,770 Q7 as a loaner from my Audi dealer.

I thought the current X5 was not much bigger in the back seat than an X3. Was expecting big things, no pun intended, from the new X5.

First the thing is beautiful in every way. Equipped as I would assume most folks would equip one with a 6, the MSRP would be $60,050. No idea as to the leases, but I assume they will be attractive.

The new X3 and new X5 now look very very much alike which is to say "good looking" IMHO.

But, the back seat of the X5 isn't anything to go wow about and the third row seat isn't much better than my wife's last Audi TT coupe.

The Q7, although bigger than the X5 has a pretty skinny third seat, too.

The new X5 is now just plain too big for those of us not wanting the third row seat that the new 115" wheelbase permits. And, it is really only useful if the third row seat is for pretty short and probably pretty young people.

I am certain the new X5 is a wonderful machine. I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers, I would offer it crackers, indeed.

But, it isn't "just right" as I guess I had expected from all the hoopla that has been circulating around.

It is too big for folks like my wife and me and too small for everyone I have ever heard talk about wanting an "SUV" with a third row seat.

The announced X4, X6 and X7 may be for those who want a bit more than the X3 or X5. It seems the thing to do right away is get the X3's lux quotient up to the the new X5's, NOW!

I can't wait to drive one of these new X5's, but I just don't get the size -- bigger than the old, for certain, but really the third row seat and even the second row are not quite as spacious as we have been led to believe.

What do I know?

They'll probably sell as many as they can mint.

I must say, though, the Q7 with the V8 and the fancy smancy air suspension and 20" wheels and all the toys including the backup camera etc etc etc for $63,770 makes the $60,050 similarly equipped (without the air suspension, however,) Q7 actually seem like a bargain and the Audi V8 is much more potent than the BMW i6.

If I had to have a boat this big, the Q7 would get the nod.

The X5 sure is purty tho. . . .and its a BMW, after all. ;)
    I am getting my new X5 at the end of the month when the car is actually out and im expecting a fully loaded 4.8i to be around $75k or something like that. When i get mines, i will definitely share the price with you but i didnt buy it yet because its not out yet. My price will definitely not be the sticker price but im looking at $2.5k above invoice because i now know the manager because i previously bought over 3 BMWs over the past 3 years and most of my friends have bought bMWs too so i think i will get a very good price
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Mark, Have you driven the new X5? I am in a bit of dilemma. I was almost certain that X3 will be our next SUV but the new X5 is very interesting as well.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Not yet, but the dealer now has two of them that can be driven. I sat in both of them and they are stunning.

Frankly the X5 seems somewhat smaller than the Q7 (and for me that is a plus.)

I have driven a maxed out new 2007 X3 with a beige interior with the poplar wood and literally all the toys. I was mucho impressed with the X3. I suspect the X5 with the V8 will be awesome. It might feel a bit underpowered with the i6, especially after driving the X3 with the 260HP motor.

The lux quotient of the X5 is finally where it should have been in my opinion all along. The X3 is a huge improvement but it needs a technology package to keep it competitive.

Both vehicles are good looking. The X3 will probably be sportier simply because it has a shorter wheelbase and is lighter than the new X5. I find the plus size of the X5 does almost nothing for the second row seats and the third row seats are practically vestigial.

The X5 V8 has to be an OH WOW performer, but I guess I just don't get the third row seat being so small and the second row seating to be about on par with the X3.

Overall the X5 will be very good for grand touring I would imagine.

I am planning on testing both the i6 and the V8.

Sometime after Thanksgiving.
    I saw the 2007 BMW X5 & it is quite stunning outside...I think they compromised the 2nd row seating by putting in the 3rd row of seats...I have a 2002 X5 which I love but the 2nd row seat is much nicer looking & more comfortable...the seat of the older X5 does not fold flat like the new one & that is why it is a better seat...we also have a 2004 Range Rover & the 2nd seat does not fold flat and that is because it is much bigger and a very comfortable seat. I plan on driving the new X5 in a few days...after driving the older model for 5 years I would like to see the difference...the older model had a lot of road noise on highways but I still loved driving it because it is a very heavy vehicle.
    BMW usa just put the new x5 "on" their site. You can now view specs, pricing, and build one just like any of their other vehicles...
  • rboilardrboilard Member Posts: 25
    I have a X5 on order as I write this. But I've been fortunate enough to have access to an 07 3.0 for the last 2 days. Great vehicle.....bigger than my current X5 but yet doesn't feel as snappy off the line. One of the main reasons for the purchase is the third row for the wife and kids to use, since its her car. The third row is pretty much useless for adults and borderline for kids. We have a 6 and 4 year old, and when they sit in the third row they disappear....like sitting in a hole. The can't see us nor can they see out the little side windows. So I also brought home a 07 Mercedes GL450. Nice car....lots more room and the third row is actually functional. Trust me I love BMW's from my 3 series, M3, and X5. Now I may change and go to the dark side....Mercedes seemed to keep family in mind with the GL450. What do other family shoppers think??
    If you have a serious need for third row seats, the GL450 would be a lot better choice. I've sat in the third row of a GL450, and it's quite impressive. The way it folds in a very short period of time is especially nice.
  • calfancalfan Member Posts: 2
    I just back from the BMW dearler in Southern California. They have a $8000 market value add to the sticker price for the new 2007 BMW X5. Is this market value negotiable? Or can be waive? Thanks.
    You better believe it's negotiable! It's common for dealers to do that when a new model comes out. I don't think you'd have to pay over MSRP once they get a few of them in stock. I wouldn't pay over MSRP (for any car), and have never done so. There's a lot of competition for the X5 out there; they don't really have anything unique, although I have to admit it's an attractive package.
  • calfancalfan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot rcf8000. If this is the case I think i will only pay 93-94% of the MSRP. What do you think?
    I doubt that they'd go that low until they've been out for a while, but it's worth a shot.
  • rboilardrboilard Member Posts: 25
    Never pay over MSRP. As others have said its an attractive package but not unique anymore. I negotiated for my X5 and got $2500 taken off MSRP for one of the first 6 due in to the dealer. But later found that the X5 is still to small for my family....so unfortunately had to cancell my order.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    You do not have to order the '07 X5 with third row seats, which appear to be suitable only for toddlers. Unknown whether the area where the seats fold into will be available as an extra compartment for traveling space.
    I believe the new X5 has more cargo space than the Q7 and I think the X5 will be better in all facets, if possible, than the previous X5.
    X5 also seems to be easier to drive than Q7...and looks a lot better!
    The third row seat fits my 7, 10 & 13 year old grandkids... you have to adjust the 2nd row seat...better for the 7 & 10 year old...w/o the 3rd seat I believe you can have a spare tire. I drove the 2007 X5 & the Q7...x5 was a better drive...even better than my 2002 X5...and the X5 is better looking.
    X5 is deff not bigger than the Audi. I just compared the two side by side, with the lift gates open, and Q7 was by FARR much wider and longer with the space behind the 2nd row. it is a full size suv, x5 is still only a midsize, and still not as big as even the mdx. and i think the styling is about equal on the bimmer and audi for me. they are just different.
  • bmwkrazebmwkraze Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when the bmw x5's will be arriving. My friend placed an order and the dealer is being really sketchy about when he will get the car, he said late january. Does anybody know a more precise daye?
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    I pre-ordered several months ago. My X5 has been built and is at port. The dealership is expecting it any day now.
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know the lease rates for this month? thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Try this discussion:BMW X5: Lease Questions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• haaserhaaser Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the spring options will be available? Will they start production in the spring or is that when I can expect delivery?
  • dkdriverdkdriver Member Posts: 26
    The dealership told me that they will receive the 'late availability' vehicles in March. We live in California, so it might be earlier on the East Coast. You might want to check with your local dealer in case they have new info.. :D
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Like the 4.8iS edition of '06, does anyone know if a 5.2iS or something similar is planned for the '07 and on X5? I am hoping for an alternative to the Cayenne Turbo S.
  • exexrayexexray Member Posts: 2
    We'll be moving to Colorado this summer,and living at 8500 feet.Since we don't plan on ever towing, is it fair to presume that the 2007 X5 6cylinder will be OK--we really don't want to spend the extra $9000.
  • thompjbrthompjbr Member Posts: 11
    We have an 03 X5 3.0. Go camping, skiing, and traveling through the mountains all the time. NO PROBLEM!! I could probably pull our 19' boat through the mountains, it would be a little effort for the motor but my biggest concern would be the lack of trailer brakes. If you are commuting, I would have no concerns at all. If you are buying here in Colorado (which I would recommend so you have a local dealer relationship) I can recommend the advisor which we have bought all our cars from at Murray Motors. We have a 2008 535XI Wagon on order with him.

Good Luck!
    Wayne
  • jpr18jpr18 Member Posts: 5
    just picked up my 3.0si Monday. Plenty of power.
  • exexrayexexray Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your input. And, who's the advisor you've used at Murray's?
This discussion has been closed.