Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• adamdonagheyadamdonaghey Member Posts: 6
    lol, wouldn't it be something if you waited until all the 07's were gone... there *was* a rebate shift to the 08... BUT... 60,000 had sold and the IRS lowered the credit? I hate thinking about all of this...
  • treagantreagan Member Posts: 6
    I don't even think I will qualify for the credit because of AMT, but even when they hit the 60000 mark (which I've been told is not real close), there is ?3 or?6 more months until the credit cuts in half.
    Very happy with my experience... Had two dealers in a bid frenzy and ended up getting the vehicle for $907.48 off... invoice. That's right, invoice. That's $2750.48 off sticker. I basically figured the cost of the vehicle (including holdback) and added 3% profit for the dealer. I did not include any dealer prep fees, nor the Ford Advertising Dealer Fund (of which dealers have to pay $360 per vehicle). In this case, the dealer *really* did make only a few hundred bucks... Bottom line, is despite the fact that these are brand new, harder to come by, and *really* not marked up by much (dealers really don't make much money on these hybrids), you can still get a great deal. That, coupled with the $3000 federal credit and the fact that I paid cash, just bought me an investment. I highly recommend picking one of these up if you can!

I'll just sit back and wait for the 60MPG F150s slated to come out next!
  • shaendrashaendra Member Posts: 3
    OK, so I saw a dealer who offers cars on ebay as well, and contacted them about a FEH that was listed at $31K, but the description was base model. He told me it was fully loaded, and I said I wasn't interested in the nav package because it's just too expensive of an add on, and after I told him which packages we were looking for (moonroof, audiophile, hybrid premium) he said he could get one "out the door" (meaning with TT&L) for $29,300, not including my $500 college grad rebate. So, we decided to go down and test drive the one they DID have (the fully-loaded one) since we hadn't actually driven a FEH yet.

Got down around 3, drove it and decided we really liked the ride, so we were prepared to see if he could get the one he mentioned they could get (less nav package) in ice blue, or (our preference) "if there's one like that in the green, we can wait longer."

He went back to the manger's area for awhile, and we watched TV, and came back asking if we liked the one we drove. I said yes, and he said how about that for $30,500, out the door). I asked if that included the college discount, and he said nope, take that off, and it's $30K. Interested?

So, we said yes, and also got the $500 factory-to-dealer rebate that's out now. Then all the financing paperwork began (in spite of me having gone through FMC's credit application a few days ago, in preparation). Declined all the options except GAP insurance (which made a difference of about $2/mo financed). About 2 hours later, we drove away with a kiwi green FWD that has the premium package, navigation, chrome, moonroof and stepbars (only thing I woulda totally skipped, but eh), for $29,290 or about $1,100 over invoice.

The salesman mentioned to us that we picked a good time to shop (end of the month), which is something that a car salesman friend of mine confirmed -- they have monthly quotas, so feel more pressure at the end of the month. He also mentioned that they have a limit of how many hybrids they'll have on the lot at any given time. Now, I'm not sure who imposes this limit, but I'm thinking in this case it's the dealership's manager, because this was slightly out in the country south of Houston (at Ron Carter in Alvin), where trucks are a much bigger draw. But, worked in our favor, because end of the month, and faced with seeing if another dealer would swap out their inventory == let's sell the one here.

So, all in all, a pretty smooth and surprising experience. :shades:
    You got a fairly average deal there... I won't go into the numbers exactly (you can see what I'm capable of in my previous post). Two issues that should be addressed for future buyers did come up, however:

1) GAP coverage. I wouldn't suggest buying GAP coverage from the actual dealer. If you feel you must have that insurance, purchase it from your insurance carrier. It's typically far less and since you generally purchase six month premiums, you can always get rid of it, as needed.

2) End of the month myth... It's always the right time to buy a vehicle. The fact of the matter is, a salesman always wants to move a vehicle (despite what he/she may say) and a salesman is always willing to negotiate a good deal. The only factors that will change the amount a dealer is willing to negotiate are consumer rebates and factory-to-dealer incentives. If you're willing to wait for a rebate or an incentive, you will obviously get a better deal.
  • shaendrashaendra Member Posts: 3
    Probably right on both counts :) The end of the month didn't make any difference to us... timing was coincidental, in this case, so it was a non-factor for our purchase. Waiting for rebates is probably something we could have done better on, but who knows when those will come? We had a sudden need for a replacement (one of our two up and died, doh!)

GAP coverage was all of about $345, so I'm not sweating it at all.

I feel fine with the deal we got.

Thanks for pointing these out, though! Always good for folks to hear about different angles, going in. :)
  • supercub43supercub43 Member Posts: 6
    Bought my new 07 a month ago tomorrow......Went with the 07, because I wanted Red....has silver trim. Paid 8 cents under 25,000 out the door. Options.....AC 110 Power Outlet, Appearance Package, Safety Package. $665 destination & Delivery. MSRP $27,790. I love it. First tank was 33.34 mpg, 2nd tank 35.2 mpg, and last tank was 35.94 mpg. I thought I'd average around 32 or so, since most of my driving is freeway to work and back. I'm thrilled and love the color. :shades:
    Brian
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large local newspaper is looking to speak to owners of the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Please provide your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Monday, May 14, 2007.
  • chucklesvachucklesva Member Posts: 9
    adamdonaghey
    i am in the market now and would appreciate it, if you could educate me on how i can get a great deal like yours on the escape.
    thanks
    chuck
    Chuck, no problem...

Basically, I created my own purchase offer, starting off with the actual invoice price and then subtracting out factory holdback (3% total msrp) and Blue Oval Cert holdback (1.25% total invoice). I then added 3% profit for the dealer. And finally, added in the destination charge and subtracted out the consumer rebate of $500 and that's the total price. There were no manufacturer to dealer incentives, unfortunately, for the 08 model and I did not add in the Ford Advertising Dealer Fund ($360 per vehicle), although most dealer's will require it.

After making the initial offer and sending it off to several dealerships, I took possession of the vehicle in like three days.

The key to making this work is to be precise and to be persistent. Research the vehicle you're going to purchase and make sure your figures are right (Edmunds.com has basically everything you need). make a professional looking offer and this will tell the dealer you know what you're talking about. However, be prepared to defend your position and be savvy!

Good luck!
  • jm40jm40 Member Posts: 6
    hi, i am planning to buy an 08' Escape Hybrid, Fwd probably on memorial weekend.

i have not yet seen one with leather or with a nav system.
    - the dealers in SoCal only have like one or two FEH's each-

if anybody could comment on look/feel of the leather vs cloth and also the nav system -- i can;t see myself ever needing the nav for directions/gps but the hybrid monitor information seems cool and perhaps helpful. comments from anybody who has one?

thanks for any feedback
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    We have both the leather and the nav. The nav. is helpful because of the hybrid screen telling you what mode you are in. To get the best mileage from the Escape, one needs to re-learn how to drive. This is why the nav screen is helpful. Leather is also very nice. We have the heated seats which are great in the cold winters we have here.
  • lancejohnsonlancejohnson Member Posts: 2
    IMO, the leather package I saw on an '08 didn't look very good. The seats were only one color which made it look rather bland inside. The cloth seats have the two toned (aka inserts) on them and that makes it look a lot nicer.

Jury is still out on the Nav. Only had the car for three days and the things I already hate about nav are:
    1) Priced too high (way too much for nav but I am a tech nerd so I need my gadgets).
    2) Stupid on screen warning/disclaimer every time you start the car that requires you to hit accept. Lawyers must have insisted on that. really annoying and serves no purpose after I have read it once.
    3) Nav unit's functionality is severely limited while car is in motion. They do this for safety reasons so the driver doesn't fumble w/ the device while driving, but this restriction means that even the passenger can't set it while in motion.

Positive things for nav are that once it is set (while you are stopped), it works rather well. I also feel that the center dash looks cheap and has too much plastic w/ the standard radio setup. The nav screen helps offset the plastic look.

If anyone knows how to workaround any of my nav gripes let me know.

Lance
  • lancejohnsonlancejohnson Member Posts: 2
    Just got my '08 FWD three days ago. Don't have buyers remorse yet, so I guess we are off to a good start :).

I don't think I got a 'great' deal but overall I am happy. Base + Nav + moon roof.

MSRP w/ options: $29,430
    Invoice w/ options: $27,366
    Total before rebate & t/t/f's: $28,379
    Rebate: $545
    They had another rebate of $500 but opted for the 3 year 3.9% financing. Was going to pay cash but seemed better to get financing and keep the money in a money market at 5.4%.

Total w/o t/t/f's: $27,834.. could have been $27,334 if I would have taken additional rebate.

One beef I had with the process was slow turnaround on the order. They didn't have options we wanted on the lot so we ordered the car. They said it would take 6-8 weeks for it to come in and it ended up taking about 11.

Lance
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    Is it fare to suggest 800-1000 under invoice as some people have reported on this site? I have a quote on 2008 escape hybrid, leather, siri radio, 4WD for 30,570 MSRP...offer is 28,200. This seems high to me...any suggestions? Thanks.
  • cloftuscloftus Member Posts: 19
    I am reading about A/X Pricing plans. Please explain to me what they are. Are they available on the 08 Escape? Thanks, I'm shopping & no dealers in my area (Central Florida) have one on their lot. I'm not sure my timing is so good, since gas is over $3.00 right now.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Those plans are restricted to relatives of Ford employees. My son-in-law works for Ford in Dearborn, MI and thus we are eligible for the Ford A plan price. It is a firm price slightly below dealer invoice. Not sure what the qualifications are for the X PLan, but suspect they are similar.
    Thanks. Does it count if we have an uncle that retired from Ford in Dearborn, MI? I was told by my cousin that they get a 25% discount.
    I would ask your cousin or uncle. The good thing about the programs is that the sell price is set so there is no negotiation involved and there are no other fees. What you get for a trade-in and the dealer's willingness to sell you a vehicle at those prices varies depending on demand, etc..
  • kryateskryates Member Posts: 1
    Adam,
    Can you tell me how your formula applies for my 2008 ford escape hybrid purchase. My MSRP with options price is $27,825. Invoice price with options is $26,300. What should I be offering the dealer according to your formula?
    thanks
    kryates,
    I would... If you had the correct information. Something's wrong there--your invoice price is too high. Even if you're including the destination fee (which isn't part of the "invoice" price... It's just a fee added on--the "MSRP" however, includes the destination fee).
    Where are you all finding the 2008 Hybrids-- Are they all in California? I think I'm going to have to order one.
    But if I do find one, I'm going to fight to make them take the FDAF assessment off my invoice---How can they charge an advertising fee for a car that they don't have on their lots? They keep telling me they are selling like mad---but then I ask them if they have any on order & they say NO! Someone's lying!
  • raptor3raptor3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a dealer who is promising $100 over invoice, (Fleet sales), When he shows me the invoice, there are three prices on it. He says the offer is on the higher price. What gives? Anyone know what the three prices stand for? Also, what is the holdback and what is included in the higher invoice price.

thanks
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a 2008 Escape Hybrid FWD with moonroof/satellite Radio pkg for $24,870 at South Bay Ford (LA region). The MSRP is $26,735 and I have the X-plan plus $545 rebate. Ford also needs to pay dealer a couple of hundreds to make up the difference. To get X-plan price you need a referral from Ford employees. Email me ([email protected]) if you want to know more about X-plan.
    I know there are TWO prices and both of them are lower than invoice:
    (1)A-plan: Ford Employee price
    (2)X-plan: Ford Employee sponsored or supplier price
  • dj548dj548 Member Posts: 2
    I don't believe they are BOTH lower than invoice.

I don't know about the A plan, but you are probably correct that that is lower than invoice.

But for the X-Plan, here's the numbers I'm being quoted for a base model 2008 Escape Hybrid, no frills:

MSRP: 25,740
    X-Plan: 24,572
    Invoice: 23,564

It's not clear to me how much dealing they will do on the X-Plan numbers. Sounds like someone above beat the X-Plan price just by playing dealerships off each other and using the invoice price as his base. I'm also not sure how much location has to do with that. We live in a region where there are literally none available, so there seems to be little incentive to help us out. In fact, the salesman kept trying to get us to just go with a non-hybrid Escape.
    The dealer is required to show you an invoice with the MSRP, invoice, A-plan & X-plan prices so there should be no confusion or variance from dealer to dealer on those prices, which are lower than invoice. They also are not allowed to charge you doc fees and other fees such as advertising and inventory fees. They will also give you any rebates that Ford has to offer to either customers or dealers. The big variables from dealer to dealer are the amount they are willing to give you for a trade-in and how willing they are to sell you a vehicle at those prices. If demand is high they may not be very willing to sell you one of their vehicles at such a low price or they may really low-ball your trade-in. I have personally experienced some dealers not very anxious to do business under the A-plan and others that are very willing.
  • dj548dj548 Member Posts: 2
    I should add that I've also spoken to a Mercury dealer about a Mariner hybrid. Again, the X-Plan was about 1/2 way between MSRP and invoice.

I think there's a significant difference between A-Plan price (employees and immediate family) and X-Plan price (anyone who knows a Ford employee).
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    MSRP: 25,740
    X-Plan: 24,572
    Invoice: 23,564

This information is incorrect. X-plan is below invoice every time (except maybe on a very low cost Focus). The below numbers are exactly correct on an Escape Hybrid as an example:

MSRP: 25935
    Invoice: 24763
    X-plan: 24739
    A/Z-plan: 23780

The dealership is paid a certain amount by Ford when they sell a vehicle under one of the plans when a customer has an appropriate pin number. It is actually more advantageous for a dealership to sell under A/Z-plan than X-plan because the subsidy is better for them. Of course, you would have to actually qualify for it to get it.

At this time, I dont think there would be a dealership anywhere that would be very happy about selling a hybrid on any of the plans, as they bring full retail and are in VERY short supply. The supply issue does not look like it will get better any time soon. If you can buy one with any discount, congratulations.
  • wfraineswfraines Member Posts: 1
    From Ford Partners web site:
    X Plan Price = A Plan Price + 4%(A Plan Price) + $150

X Plan applies to Base price only, not options, but any available consumer incentives may be applied, and no extra fees may be added. For Hybrids, the X Plan price ends up being about $50 under invoice.

Also, you can sometimes find online Ford employees who will give you a PIN number, even if you're not connected with Ford.

Try googling Ford X Plan.
  • rjl3jaxrjl3jax Member Posts: 1
    This is ridiculous...Ford spends millions advertising a great new vehicle...those who have somehow managed to purchase the vehicle provide rave review...but, I cannot find ONE available Hybrid anywhere...I've searched online ford dealer inventory all across the East coast and nadda...I visit the local Florida dealership and the dumb [non-permissible content removed] sales manager has the audacity to say the 2008 Hybrids are not worth a [non-permissible content removed], have horrible power, don't really save any money in gas, and that I should just look at the Non-Hybrids on HIS lot...of course he made this amazing assessment of a new Ford vehicle that he has never even seen...glad I'm not a Ford shareholder...
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Don't feel alone. I got the same story from Toyota dealers that did not have a Prius to sell or test drive. Both tried to tell my how much better the Camry was.

Welcome to the Forum
  • teperillouxteperilloux Member Posts: 5
    My local Ford dealer in Portland, OR, has 9 hybrids and most others have only 1 at most 2. Problem is the dealer wants MSRP or higher, won't honor X or A plan and is a general pain to deal with. Their reasoning is they get a special allocations from Ford and sounds like they want to make enough on these to make up for the hundred SUV's on their lot they will end up heavily discounting... What sucks is they have the hybrid I want! Premium AWD, with chrome and audiophile (no Nav) in pearl metallic. I refuse to pay full MSRP and they won't trade another dealer for a hybrid.!

I think I'm going to order from another dealer at x plan. I don't understand why most dealers have none and then a random dealer gets 10 at a time. I'm with you and glad I'm not a Ford shareholder.
    You are so right! The story I get from the sales manager is that they are selling fast & it will slow down when gas goes down...but I don't believe that either. The hybrids I find on-line w/Ford (hundreds of miles from my home) are still showing up weeks later. So unless they aren't updating their listings...they just aren't selling.

They would be selling like crazy if they would build them, market them & give them a decent price. Free moon-roof for the non-hybrid 2008 Ford Escape, but nothing for the hybrid. And while I'm venting, why doesn't the government keep those tax incentives going? I know the Escape still qualifies, but why should they end at all?

The salesmen just want to sell a car, and they have no hybrids to sell, so they try to steer you to anything else, and like typical salesmen most of them are irritating. Yes, it happened to me, too, & I was boiling mad, maybe we went to the same dealership.(on the Florida east coast)

I ordered mine over 2 weeks ago, & was told today that it will be built in September & will be OCTOBER before it arrives...If I wasn't getting the X-plan price I think I would fly up north & drive one home. I can't wait!
    I will talk to Ford Customer Service if their dealers did not response to my request. For example, You may send your complaints to Ford Chiefs:
    Mark Fields([email protected]) or Alan Mulally ([email protected]). Usually, Ford works hard to satisfy customers if their dealers didn't.
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the complaint email addresses of the Ford Chiefs!

I sent an email query two days ago asking where my Escape Hybrid is after 2.5 months of waiting. Received a detailed reply today advising that it is currently in transit and should arrive in mid-August (or three months after I ordered it).

Glad to know that Ford does listen from time to time.

Stephen
  • bob05bob05 Member Posts: 27
    Simple question: if there are no Escape hybrids available, then why is Ford running non-stop 0% plus cash back advertising on the vehicle? The commercial is on every Red Sox game here in Boston, but there are no Escape hybrids that I know of available here.
  • chucklesvachucklesva Member Posts: 9
    I ordered mine at the end of may and i picked it up july 30th. it took about 8 weeks and was painless. I got it for the x-plan pricing. i have about 300 miles on it and it is great, very quiet and on my 1st fill up i averaged 34 mpg and that is mostly highway driving at the speed limit or a little less. i handles great and drives just like regular escape. i purchased at williamsburg ford in williamsburg va.
    hope you all get your soon
    chuck
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    My daughter has been waiting for two months for her Escape, and there is no news when Ford will get the needed parts from Japan.Has anyone heard anything about this strange situation. :sick:
    I ordered mine in late June (East Central Florida) & was told last week it is now going to be October/November before it arrives. I wasn't told anything about the parts, just that they are behind on assembling them.
    Just to think I was just recently reading how they couldnt get rid of the Esacape and Merc. Hybrids.Times sure change. :sick:
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    Hooray!

Just noticed that my factory ordered Ice Blue FEH (4WD, moonroof, premium package) has appeared on the dealer lot today. Ordered on May 16 and received on Aug 13. Actual "delivery" likely to occur within a day or two.

Another 2008 FEH will be on the road in the Canadian Rockies shortly.

Stephen
    Canmore, AB
  • teperillouxteperilloux Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered our 08 FEH. I'm the 3rd FEH on order for my dealer. I'm a bit skeptical I'll see this truck anytime soon as he showed me his order sheet and his first order was placed on 6/9 and there was no build date scheduled for that truck yet. Ford better get their act together...
  • randyputnamrandyputnam Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my 08 FEH May 21 and was getting nowhere with the dealer (who is usually pretty good). On Aud 6 I emailed the two people at Ford, shown in previous threads, and got a call the very next day from an area Cust Svc rep at Ford. He told me my car had not gone into production because they were backed up for two main reasons: (1) NYC is converting their taxi fleet to FEB (true), and the batteries are back ordered (I think I understood the batteries to come from Toyota and they are coming in from California). Bottom line is he said he was putting a priority on my car and scheduling it into the production run. It's supposed to be ready in 5 - 6 more weeks. So, lessons learned: (1)Add on another month or two to the "promise" date from the dealer, and (2) bug the people at Ford, who are responsive, and may be able to help you more than the dealer.
    As usual Ford is putting corporate ahead of the "little"people.I would tell them that they can sell their non hybrids to NYC too.Frankly,I gave up on my plans to purchase a Ford hybrid.They irritated me to the point where I completely lost interest.I get better mileage on my KIA on the highway anyway.And they wonder why people aren't buying American. :mad:
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    The batteries are made to a Ford design spec by Sanyo of Japan (don't know where they actually assemble them). Toyota is not involved.

It is probably another case of US Corporate thinking that is too short-term. The US mfrs react too quickly to a market that goes soft (hybrids a little over a year ago when gas prices went down)....and they can't react quick enough when markets pick-up (like the hybrid market has since May of this year) because they never increased their commitment to the hybrid market. They chose to add a Mazda Tribute Hybrid without adding any mfg capacity at the plant in Kansas City or ramping up their orders of HVBatterys or eCVTs. :(
    I didnt know that Mazda made a hybrid.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Remember, the Escape, the Mariner, and the Tribute have all been assembled at the same plant in Kansas City and they have always shared lots of common parts. All three share identical hybrid components. Sheet metal and other items make them different. ;)
  • rmcleodrmcleod Member Posts: 1
    I am in Connecticut, ordered my FEH 7/9/2007 from Colonial Ford of Danbury was told that it would be a 3 month waiting period before it would be close to being ready. Received a call one week later stating that my specifications will fit (FEH Optioned OuT) a order ready for production also gave me the Vin # Said to look for it by late August or early September. Is this possible ???
  • gil369gil369 Member Posts: 4
    Any opinions on what I should do with this?

In CA, Ford advertises on TV using yourcaliforniaford.com for all their promotions. So, I've been looking at that site for rebate info on the 08 FEH and last week it showed that they were offering an $8500 rebate. Surprising? Of course...but, I called the dealer to check it out and he said there was no promo like that running. He said it was a mistake on the website and that they couldn't offer it. I have printouts of the offer, etc. but they still won't honor it.

The website was "mysteriously" updated the next day to reflect the correct $500 rebate, but I still have proof that the $8500 rebate was listed on the site (and I had "Clicked here to request this offer"). What is the legality behind this? Isn't there some sort of rule that says they have to honor an advertised price or something? Thoughts?