Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• gmilonas76gmilonas76 Member Posts: 2
    How long does it generally take to obtain the VIN number once the order is placed with the dealer. I ordered my FEHL on 06/24/08
  • rilian1rilian1 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered on 5/06/08 and received my VIN on 6/26/08. Car was built 7/08/08 and am told will arrive in Minnesota 7/28/08 or thereabouts.
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    I was told there is a weather delay on shipments. That was yesterday. Unfortunately, the dealer was unable to elaborate.
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    Sounds like the Seattle dealers haven't changed a bit since I finished medical school and left there.....

Have they learned how to actually fix vehicles brought for maintenance?

(Dodge didn't have a clue on that, but was good at charging anyway!)

Wisconsin dealers at their worst are better than the Seattle dealers I dealt with... good luck anyway (and we have a real good dealer/Ford service shop in Reedsburg, WI, though it's not the closest to where I live.)

More to the point, I had my order for a green 09 FEH Limited 4WD placed on 6/30 or so. No VIN yet, but the order is in and accepted. Now in the waiting game...
  • fmorrisofmorriso Member Posts: 52
    The key is dealer allocation. No allocation = No VIN = No vehicle. Ask your dealer if they have an allocation that they can use for your order. Until that happens, your order is going to sit in a "CLEAN/UNSCHED" state in the CONCEPS (ordering) system like my April 21 order is currently doing.

I went to my dealer Saturday and watched him log into the CONCEPS ordering system, pull up my order and show it to me. The top part of the screen shows the Order Type (1=Retail), Priority (mine happens to be 12, which is where the "ordering guy" at this dealer starts numbering type 1 orders) and when the status was last checked/updated (07/10 in my case). The bottom of the screen shows the "event history" of the order. Mine has a single line dated 4/21 showing when the order was accepted into the Unscheduled Order Bank (USOB).

The ordering guy came over and said they are working to convince Ford to schedule my order to be built, but they are having trouble getting allocation. As soon as they do, since my order has the highest assigned priority number at this particular dealer, barring any "commodity issues", it will be scheduled first before the only other FEH order this dealer has taken.

Bottom line: Nothing is going to happen to move an order out of the USOB until the dealer gets an allocation slot to use to fulfill that order.
  • alfredckalfredck Member Posts: 9
    Re tax credit, does the 60,000 mark apply to just the Ford Escape, or both the Ford Escape and the Mercury Mariner? I'm wondering if we'd have higher chance of getting the tax credit with the Mariner Hybrid.
  • burnsvaburnsva Member Posts: 35
    The tax credit applies to the combined sales of the FEH and MMH.
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update.

FEH - Limited - X-Plan. Initial Delivery date 7/10/08. Sonoma County California.
    Have VIN / PIN/ Contract and production date.
    I'd like to thank all for their detailed analysis.

Checked with the dealer today. Has not arrived but "expected" delivery this coming week.

I hope I'm not the first one to receive!

I'll let you all know.

Regards,
  • cwgmlscwgmls Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to whoever posted the info on receiving tracking from Blueoval.com. In less than an hour (after I finally figured out how to post - you must click on "Post New Topic" way at the bottom), I received the following info on the AWD FEH Base Model, I ordered, as well as a pdf file of the sticker. Unfortunately, no ship date, yet.

Receipt Date: 5/9/2008
    Serialize Date: 5/22/2008
    Segment Date: 5/22/2008
    Sequence Date: 6/9/2008
    Blend Date: 6/13/2008
    Produced Date: 6/23/2008
    Gate Release Date:
    Ship Date:
    Arrival Date:
    Sold Date:

As far as pricing, I ordered mine through the Z Plan and the price was $27811.34. Thanks to another post, I also found out that the Priority Number I had was 11 - just one off of the highest. This is from a dealer in Central NJ.
  • hxciter1hxciter1 Member Posts: 4
    Ordered my FEH April 18th. and just got my Vin. today. Dealer said August 4th delivery date.

Ordered a FEH Limited 2wd with EVERYTHING. A-plan prize around $30,000 even.
    Location is Detroit, MI.. Will post when I receive it. Good luck to all, this forum has been very helpful.

Hxciter
  • warrentoolwarrentool Member Posts: 3
    fmorriso,

How can a buyer tell if a dealer has an allocation? My dealer says he does but I put my order in the day after you and have the same status as you. From this site and others it appears that people that put their orders in weeks after us are about to receive their FEH. Why would a dealer NOT have an allocation?

thanks
    I heard an internal Ford rumor today that they are considering NOT closing the KC plant for 2 weeks at the end of the month in order to maximize shipping as many 09 FE and FEHs as possible in the third quarter (therefore boosting sales numbers.)
  • crysnstevecrysnsteve Member Posts: 17
    My dealer told me, before I ordered, that he took on inventory from another dealership (when it closed) and ford allocated 5 hybrids per month to him. Probably true, ETA is said to be 7/21 so we will see how it goes
    Congratulations! Can I ask which dealership did you go to? I went to Royal Oak Ford, ordered early June and still have no VIN. They didn't ask for a deposit either, which at the time I thought was a good thing, but now is just making me nervous. Should I be?
  • hxciter1hxciter1 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered from Dorian Ford and left them $1000. I wouldn't be nervous unless your salesman is Joe Saad. (Total scammer). Are you 'A' plan? Also, I ordered a month before and JUST got the VIN, so you shouldn't be too far behind. My brother ordered one in May from Suburban, and still has no vin. Good luck..
    I will keep you filled in.

Hx
    My salesman claims (and I have some doubts about the veracity of what he's saying) that he can only get an allocation for a FEH if he agrees to take two allocations for Expeditions, presumably because Ford can't get rid of them with gasoline priced the way it currently is. He says the owner refuses to play this "allocation game" since Expedtions are a sure-fire money loser in terms of being unable to sell and the $4000 in carrying costs incurred every six months.

All this adds up to one thing: no allocation to order my vehicle and the only other FEH in this particular dealer's USOB.

From where I'm sitting, I figure one of two things has to happen before my vehicle can get an allocation slot:
    The owner of the dealership bends over, grabs the ankles, and screams "Thank you sir [Ford HQ], may have another [Expedition]", possibly trying to add a "premium" to the MSRP of the FEH in order to recoop his expected loss on the two Expeditions.
    Ford HQ "blinks first" during this game of "allocation chicken" with the dealer and decides they need to book the revenue from a sale of a FEH that's been sitting in the USOB since April 21, worse than they need to get rid of Expeditions.
    When I spoke to my salesman and the inventory guy this past Saturday, they assured me they were doing everything they could to get my vehicle built but still didn't have any allocation "slots".

In lieu of all the other folks who ordered 3-6 weeks after I did that have, as a minimum a VIN and in some cases, actual production dates, I find it hard to believe I'm being told the full story. Throw in the fact that this is the first Ford I have ever tried to buy and you can see why Ford is blowing their "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" opportunity.

I'm not new to custom car ordering. I've ordered the following cars since I began driving in 1970:

1978 Chevrolet Chevette
    1983 Renault Alliance
    1986 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo (mid-life crisis car)
    1992 Saturn SL2
    1993 Saturn SL2
    1997 Saturn SL2
    2000 Saturn LS2

Except for when UAW went on strike for a few months shortly after I ordered the '86 LeBaron in late 1985, I've never experienced the kind of delays and lack of believable information that I'm experiencing with the ordering of my fully loaded 2009 FEH Limited (U59/750A/WS+60N+187).

It's one thing to have material availability, vacations, annual plant shutdowns affect the scheduling of production. I'm OK with that. But to have the "allocation game" be responsible for the nearly 3-month delay just seems like somebody isn't being completely open/honest about what's really going on behind the scenes.
    My dealer explained to me that often dealers make "trades" of allocation spots or popular vehicles and will attach hard to move vehicles as part of the deal. My dealer won't take on any extra Expedition inventory, so he is limited to the allocations he has from Ford hq.

Considering that production just started on June 23rd of the FEH - I am choosing to start my "waiting clock" then - not from the date I placed my order, (beginning of May).
  • cwgmlscwgmls Member Posts: 5
    Gate Release Date: 6/25/08
    Ship Date: 6/25/08
    Arrival Date:
    Sold Date:

The blueovalforum.com poster said there was a weather related delay in shipping. Called my dealer and he said it should have been here (NJ). Hopefully it didn't get flooded in the Midwest rains!!
    You are certainly entitled to read the clock whatever way you wish, but given all of the following exist for every order, to my way of thinking, the only way to compare experiences between customers is to check all of the following dates:

Receipt Date:
    Serialize Date:
    Segment Date:
    Sequence Date:
    Blend Date:
    Produced Date:
    Gate Release Date:
    Ship Date

In my case, all I have is the first date, 4/21/2008. Check the next message in this thread and compare my experience to his, especially given how far after my order his was processed:

Gate Release Date: 6/25/08
    Ship Date: 6/25/08

I smell a rat. A BIG SMELLY RAT!
  • michaelwehomichaelweho Member Posts: 12
    I just called my dealership and now have the VIN #. I was also told that my car is on a train heading west ( I am in Los Angeles) and should arrive in 9 days. The guy I spoke to at my dealership is apparently using a good tracking system and was very awesome. We will see.

Once again - does anyone have any other updates or has anyone received their vehicle. From what my dealer said - the train first headed east to make a drop and is now headed West. Some must be somewhere now!!!

Thanks!
  • ddawesddawes Member Posts: 14
    My FEH was shipped on 7/1/08 (per info on Blue Oval Forum) and had an ETA to my dealer in SW Washington of 7/14/08 (per their Vehicle Visibility System). So far no FEH. Now I'm not sure if the 14th was the day or they meant the week of the 14th.I guess I'll contact my dealer tomorrow and have them do a check and see where it's at. I probably shouldn't complain as there are others who ordered their FEH earlier and have not made it very far in the process. It seems odd that they only have one train out of the factory going east them coming back west. Somewhere there's a train load of FEH. :D
    My Dealer called today and they have just received the 09 FEH hybrids on his lot. . I guess they have made it as far west as Denver. Should be coming soon to a town near you.
    I checked with my dealer today and he was also told about the "weather" delay, but could not get more of answer. My FEH is still in Kansas City, probably on a rail car. Since it was "shipped" on 7/1, but is still in KC, I imagine the lack of others reporting that they received their FEH may mean they're all still in KC. Frustrating to say the least! I would guess that it may be three to four weeks for those on the west coast to receive their FEH once the "weather" clears up. This afternoon I took a short 30 mile Motorcycle trip and saw at least six auto transports full of Toyotas heading north from Portland, OR.
    In the 2009 FEH Order Guide, it describes the Navigation System as "AM/FM 6 disc in dash changer,..." - but on the published window stickers with Navigation Systems it says, "Navigation/Single-Disc Radio" and there is no mention in the Navigation System user guide refering to multiple CD use (I haven't found it anyway)...

Does anyone have any other information regarding the Nav System?
  • troybarwicktroybarwick Member Posts: 9
    I ordered my Escape Hybrid Limited on May 31. It still shows unscheduled clean. WTF? Should I be concerned?
    A lot of us are in the same boat as you are: CLEAN/UNSCHED. I ordered a Ford Escape Hybrid Limited (U59/750A/WS+60N+187) on 4/21/2008, which as far as I can tell, is one of the oldest, if not the oldest such order reported on this forum.

When I called my sales guy this morning, because I know the Thursday evening order selection should be finished and the lucky "selectees" will have their orders changed to the next phase, including a VIN, he said that, as of Juy 16, my order is still CLEAN/UNSCHED.

Something very fishy is going on at Ford HQ in terms of how they choose vehicles to schedule. Like you, I wonder when they'll decide they need the revenue from our respective sales badly enough to schedule our vehicles to be built. Talk about being stupid when it comes to the Time Value of Money theory, Ford seems to have gotten an F- in that particular Finance course. Or, maybe Ford is so awash in cash they don't need a extra 30+ large each from a couple of small fry folks like us?

Keep in mind that the plant closes for annual vacation between July 28 and August 10, so even if your vechicle got scheduled today, I wonder if your vehicle would be built prior to August 11, the day the new third shift begins working.

I've opened a line of inquiry directly with Ford HQ (went to ford.com and found the contact us page) asking basically the same WTF question you're asking about the scheduling of my vehicle. So far, all they've done is ask for more information.

I'll post any change as soon as I hear.
  • neuroboy002neuroboy002 Member Posts: 24
    Wow. I am really sorry to hear about your situation, especially considering you were one of the very first orders. It just seems like you have been strung along. No other dealerships in your area can help you order a 2009 FEH? It doesn't seem like you will be getting anywhere with this dealership if they can't even schedule your order after 3 months! It doesn't sound right. You've invested a lot of time and patience and deserve some definite answers. I was disgruntled at first when my dealership insisted on a $3K down payment, but they verbally guaranteed me a vehicle before September. My Blend date was 8 days ago and am just waiting for the last half of this ordering process. I wish you the best of luck.
    Don't worry about me. I have a "backup plan" that I don't care to share at this time. Let's just say I haven't been sitting around doing nothing. :)

Did I mention this is the first Ford I've ever tried to custom order? Heck, until May 8 when my wife bought a 2008 Ford Focus off the lot of the same dealer, neither my wife nor I have ever purchased a Ford vehicle. Not exactly what I was expecting as a first time customer with a custom order.

I'm going over to the dealer today to see what the status is because the salesman claims the status isn't always updated by Friday, so it sometimes pays to wait until Saturday to check the status.

Our respective "experiences" are proof of one thing: the ordering process needs to be more transparent (and as a result, hopefully, more honest). Customers need to be able to log on and monitor the status of their order from the comfort of their computer. Until that happens, the ordering process will continue to be "gamed" by Ford HQ like it seems to be doing at the moment. Ironically, if the goal is to maximize revenue (and thus shareholder value), Ford is playing the "game" very badly, at least from where I am sitting.

Maybe it's my 800+ credit rating that is making them shy away from doing business with me? Or is it because I pay all my bills, including credit cards, in full, on time each month for the past 30 years? I must be doing something wrong, but whatever it is, it's a complete mystery to me. GM had no issues accepting and rapidly fulfilling my four custom orders from the local Saturn dealer between 1991-1999. I had similar good experiences with custom orders from Chrysler and AMC/Renault back in the 1980's.

I could understand if I was the last person to order, but I ordered on day five of the ordering window, which opened April 17. Scheduling supposedly began May 15 and production supposedly began June 23. That neither of our orders has even been scheduled should be a badge of shame for Ford, but I'm grounded enough to know that won't be the case.
    Even though there have been a number of FEH built and "shipped", they still sit in Kansas City under a "weather related delay" , which is apparently a code term for auto hauler's strike. Seems as though they can't be honest about the reason customers aren't receiving their cars they order, either.
    We picked up our 09 FEH limited yesterday. The navigation system is SICK! I Love the 10 gig hard drive (jukebox) included in the system. It was so easy to pair the phone to it. If anyone has any questions about this model I will try to help answer them for you. As close as I can tell I think the cd player is a single disc not a six.
    Congratulations!!!

My dealer got the color 2009 Ford Escape brochures and as I pour through it while waiting for my FEH Limited to be scheduled, I read near the back under "Choose your options" that you are correct: Voice-activated Navigation System with neaarly 10-gigabyte hard drive, single-disc Audiophile Sound System ....(Available on Limited, Hybrid and Hybrid Limited)

Compare the above with this, located on the same page of the brochure: Audiophile Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3 capability...(Available on XLT and Limited)

The key to remember is this: Limited is not the same as Hybrid Limited.
    CONGRATULATIONS!! From what I can tell you are the first person I've read about receiving their FEH. As I wait out the "weather related delay" , strike, or whatever it is for mine; can you tell me where you're at and what your ship date was? My FEH was "shipped" on 7/1, but is still in KC.
    Yee,
    Congrats. Please let us know how it shakes out. Our dealer here in Sonoma County CA still expects ours next week. I will keep everyone posted. It sounds however that the West Coast shipments have been delayed a bit. My original delivery date was 7/10. That's OK with me since I still have my 2005 Limited on Craigs List.

Regards,
    We are close to the Denver area. I don't know a ship date, it had a ETA date of 7/21, it came in early. The paperwork also indicates that it came by roadway. You will love this vehicle! It seems to me, that they thought of just about everything. Hope you get yours soon!!
    Enjoy your vehicle. My arrival date was 7/14. Right now, I'd just like to know when it may start coming this way. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Our company fleet manager was told last week that Ford aren't producing any more 2009"s, will have to waiy for 2010"s...doesn't that seem strange to already be stopping 09 production? Maybe it's misinformation Ford are sending us so we buy Explorers instead?
    Congratulations!! Would you be willing to share pictures of your new ride? Pictures of the 2009 FEHL are hard to find.
    Could it be that there is enough retail (Type 1) and dealer stock (Type 2) orders in the pipeline that fleet buyers are being told that there is no remaining production capacity to fulfill additional fleet (Type 3) orders this year?
    Yes, I will take some today. I will post again when I get them and we can figure out how to post.
    I received an update on the Blue Oval Forum that advised my FEH was in-transit and MOVING! So whatever the delay was, the good news is vehicles are moving from the factory to the purchasers.
  • michaelwehomichaelweho Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

Wondering where you purchased your new vehicle. Maybe it will help us all know how close they are to the rest of us.

What features do you particularly enjoy?

Waiting impatiently for my new wheels! :mad:
    Hi,
    We bought ours at Longmont Ford in Longmont Colorado. It is about 20 miles north of Denver, as I posted before they told me they had an allocation of 5 hybrids per month. I'm sorry to everyone out there that ordered so long ago,and have to wait SO long, but it was relatively easy for me to get it, which was good cause we just blew the engine in our dodge a few weeks ago. I can't wait till everyone has theirs. I have been blown away by it for several days.

Everything seems relatively easy to use, the manual is easy to read. The last new vehicle I bought was 7 years ago and I have never had anything that was loaded before. But I think it is well designed. You can turn off the things that I call annoying like the seat belt chime, the auto locks, and the auto headlamps. The moon roof can open or tilt. The FEH limited (what we have) does not come with the 6 speed auto tranny. I love the nav/sync system. The ambient lighting gives you like 5 color choices that you can turn on if you want. It is dim but lights up things nicely if it's really dark. One of the coolest things is the HEV screen which shows your mileage and where to power is coming from. It also tells you how many miles an empty tank. I could go on all day probably. Ford did a great job on this vehicle in my opnion. Hope you guys get yours soon, seems like a truck is probably headed west from here.
    Yes, We would love to see some pics!

Just an update. I received a call from our Ford dealer here in Sonoma County (CA.)
    He just received an update on delivery FEH - Limited - No Nav but the Sirius Sat radio.) It's due in this coming Saturday 7/26. He confirmed that the delay was due to the rail car delay because of the flooding. Since they have to install the Step Bars (because Ford missed this on the order) we will probably pick up Sunday or Monday.

Regards,
    I got photos of my 09FEH in my hard drive I don't know how to post. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Go to http://www.shutterfly.com and sign up for a free account that will allow you to upload your photos to an online "photo album". Then use the Share Photos feature, using your email address as the person to share with. Shutterfly will send you an email with the hyperlink to your online photo album. Copy/Paste that hyperlink into a reply in this forum and we'll all be able to view the photos by following the hyperlink.

Here's an example:

Pictures of Crater Lake, OR

When the page displays, find and click on the Slide Show link. Then use the View Full Screen link to make the pictures more visible.
    Thanks. I sent Longmont Ford my contact information this morning. I'm betting they can enter an order, get it scheduled and delivered before the dealer in Virginia even gets his first allocation. And that's taking into account the two week plant shutdown that occurs between July 28-August 10.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,090
    Upload them to your CarSpace!!

Just click on My CarSpace, and you'll see..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

:blush: I was so [Ford?] focused on the one picture album web site I use most often I completely overlooked the one right here on this forum. :blush:

I only wish this web site had sound as well as emoticons so I could insert a Homer Simpson Doh! sound into this post.

Thanks for catching my error.
    Ok here goes,

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZM2zRu4cuGL8g

Thanks for the upload tips!
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    Very sharp. I bought a stripped down version. I'm sure I'll be envious of the extras you've got in no time. I'm still playing the waiting game!