Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

1151617181921»

Comments

• revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    Maybe you need to get a third opinion from another shop. Did you have the dealship mechanics look it over?

There should only be 1 timing chain.

I think you should be able to get 200k out of this vehicle if you keep the maintenance up.

Good Luck!
    edited August 2010
    I noticed a lot of rust on the inside of my stock steel rims on my 2007 GV.
    I have the base model with no frills.

Also the undercarriage suspension parts seem to be pretty rusty.

Any one else having excessive rust problems? I live in Pa and in the winter the township salts the roads.
    That may be one of the culprits of pre-mature rusting. :confuse:
  • NW07GVitaraNW07GVitara Member Posts: 2
    luvmygv,

From what you have said it indicates you have a high millage vehicle. Autos with over 100k mi usually become exponentially more expensive to maitaine. It is a universal rule that "parts ware out." and you should expect this as your vehicle ages. The only difference with the Suzuki GV is that it is an all [non-permissible content removed] import and parts must also be imported to the west making parts replacements more expensive still.

As far as your Suzuki being a "throw away" vehicle. That all depends on it's overall condition. If it has been abused and repair is not worth it to you than it would be considered throw away. Cars with over 100k miles could be put in throw away category if certain conditions apply. With any car you can continue to replace parts and just keep it running but it may not be worth it if getting a new vehicle would be cheaper in the long term.

If you love the GV so much consider trading it for a new 2010 GV. The 2010 has more HP and a more advanced engine. If you do get another GV than I would recommend using Full Synthetic Engine oil from the start and change every 3000k to 6000k miles depending on sevarity of your driving conditions.

Good Luck
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    revjim64 - Our '06 GV is regularly used on salted roads. I try to keep it washed off, but in winter that's often not possible. It gets stored in an unheated garage, which means any salt on it stays wet, and wet salt means corrosion. The first winter, lots of underbody parts rusted (bolts, exhaust hangers, muffler shell etc), but none of them are serious, as body/frame rust would be. Since then the rust hasn't gotten any worse, and the GV appears to be basically very well built to resist rust. We have alloy wheels, and they too corrode.

If you're worried about it, just get it treated every year or so by a business applying spray-on rust preventer.

luvmygv - surveys on truedelta indicate the GV is of average reliability for small suv's. This does not support Consumer Reports claims, but I think the truedelta survey is better done. With any vehicle, it seems there are some lemons and, without pointing a finger, there are also differences in how people treat their cars. The GV's 2.7l engine is also used in an airplane, and is reputed to be very durable despite not being the smoothest operator.
    Xostnot, thanks for your advice.

My 07 GV has some rust on the undercarriage and frame, but nothing serious as of yet. The exhaust pipe heat shields/and hangers rusted away.
    I think I will just spray on some Rust Converter and Undercoating spray and see if that slows down the undercarriage rust.
    As far as the "Steel" wheels, I will
    hit them with a wire brush and re-paint them.
    If the steel rims get to rusty, I may go out and get some Chrome plated aftermarket rims or alloy type rims. :shades:
  • fishwarfishwar Member Posts: 2
    I also own a 2006 Grand Vitara. It is a tire eating machine. I have about 75,000 and I have never got more than 18,000 on any brand I tires I have installed. When you go around corners you can actuall feel and hear the AWD system gripping and grinding the tires away. The bottom line you either replace the tires at 18,000 miles or sell it.
    I have a 2007 GV and I just replaced the original Yokohama Geolanders, (25k miles on them) with new Kuhmo Solus tires rated at 60k.

They seem to have a better tread life rating than the Yoko Geolanders. I will let you know how these Kuhmos hold up!

;)
    This is a very well known problem. By now, all but the worst Suzuki dealerships know how to fix it. In the meantime, the misalignment is costing you mileage, is prematurely wearing the drivetrain, and is a serious safety hazard since you are far more likely to lose control. I strongly suggest you get it fixed asap. You'll also enjoy the GV far more after it's correcte.
  • rougeonerougeone Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Dude, you got over 100k miles out of it and it's still running. I am thinking the mechanics are a part of your problem. I have a 2008 and I have 95k miles on it. I run synthetic oil in it and I have had no mechanical problems. You need to find a competent mechanic. I hope this helps.
  • rougeonerougeone Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 and I experienced the same issues with the original tires. I replaced them with Hankook tires from Sears and the alignment was done there also. I keep them rotated and properly inflated. I have had no further problems with tire wear or rear traction control. The vehicle has been great.
  • mbockelmanmbockelman Member Posts: 1
    Headlights are not working except on high beam setting. Fuse shows no sign of burn out. Turn signals work. Tail lights work.
  • bastusbastus Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GV in 06 and I was pretty happy with it. It used to run perfect.Loved it for the first 2 years. It's already 2011 and I didn't have major problems with it. First set of tires changed at 30K miles(wheel alignment done at 6K miles) and I replaced them with Yokohama A/TS. Now.....it started to have a noise after 4K like (It seemed like a defective strut noise). I have been to the shop (2 of them) with it and they were not able to find the problem. They changed 1 strut and the sway link.....and I still had the noise. I put now 49k miles on it and I still couldn't figure out what's the noise source (which became louder and louder). I asked them to inspect the lower arm and again the strut...."Oooo it's not from there" even though they were not able to identify the source. Now ...the warranty is gone and I have to pay for it myself. At 35k miles the caliper on the same side got frozen....it took me 3 weeks and a visit to another mechanic to convince them to take the wheel off and check it out. When they finally checked and confirmed what I was complaining about, they replaced the caliper and they left the same brake disc even though it was burnt out (blue color) and it has also a humming noise coming from the wheel hub (needs to be replaced also).
    Does anyone have any idea about some good or better brands for the brake discs, brake pads, wheel hub and bearing and lower arm control also? I have to replace both sides but I want some good quality parts. thx
    On another forum, someone has reported their lower control arm bushings were shot. Someone else posted that they are not the best design, and that many suv's have this problem.
  • spatnodespatnode Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem with my grand vitara. The dealer already replaced 2 of my tires already after we put 1,000 miles on brand new tires. I am about ready to take it back to the dealer soon because one of the tires is wearing more quickly than the other 3. We also just had our AC/ Power steering belt break. I am not having much luck with this vehicle!!
    This is a well-known problem, and has been discussed at great length on GV forums. Only the most incompetent Suzuki dealerships are still unable to fix it. I suggest you print out some of these discussions and show them to your dealer/service garage. If they still can't fix it, I suggest you bring up the matter with Suzuki Canada/America. This is also a safety problem, since the misalignment means you are always out of control a bit. And it will wear out the drivetrain faster also, cost you mileage etc. The broken belt is uncommon to the point where I can't recall any other case of it being reported.
  • bob470bob470 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Took our 2008 Grand Vitara in for an oil change. Dealer says our Bank1 S2 O2 sensor has damage to the wiring...I have no" Service Engine Light" upon arrival at the dealer.
    Dealer wants $455 to repair. I decline. Drive the car home (50+ miles) still no light.
    After studying about this o2 sensor I have learned that the B1 S2 O2 sensor is supposed to be on the driver's side down stream of the catalytic converter. I have the car on jacks and I have no sensor after the cat. There is one on the head pipe on each side of the car.
    I have put my hands on every inch of the exhaust and the is no other sensor. I have pictures
    (and studied them on my computer) of the exhaust from one end to the other.. I don't see it.
    The car runs just as good as it did when I purchased it 2 years ago.
    Thanks for any help you may have.
    Bob
  • jimz08zukijimz08zuki Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 and it can pull more than it says without getting hot or slowing down almost at all, exept on the steepest and longest roads like going from CA to NV, I think it was going threw Tahachapee?, but only dropped to 40-45mph for a little and I was over weight and to much weight distribution on hitch tongue too! I love my Zuki!!! :shades:
  • hlrosboroughhlrosborough Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 Grand Vitara, 94,500 mileage, that has been a great runner for me, except for a recurring EGR valve issue. I've had this "fixed" at the dealer at least 5-6 times (valve replacement, cleaning). Rough and low engine idle, stalls at intersections, etc when the valve isn't working. I notice the problem typically starts when I'm braking hard going down a hill. Just got it back from the dealer after they replaced yet another part, and not 2 weeks later, rough idle and stalling again. Otherwise, love this car; it's been great having no car payment and I don't want to look for another vehicle right now, but am running out of options. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I've always taken my car to the dealer - don't have a neighborhood mechanic. Seems the dealer would have the latest info on the valve issue, but it's clear they are stymied by this and I know by now (finally) that a dealer visit is going to be another waste of money. Any info is appreciated. SW (Pgh) PA area.