Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    CORRECTION:

"mileage improved several miles per tank... "
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    My recent fill up yielded 25.2 mpg and I estimate I did about 60/40 city/hwy. I have now have a longer commute with more stop lights and traffic, plus I do a lot of mini-stops during the day where I leave it idling for a minute or so as I put stuff in and out of the trunk. I was only expecting about 22 mpg so I was pleasantly surprised.
  • hondaowner10hondaowner10 Member Posts: 21
    My last 2 fill ups have averaged 29.5 mpg. I drive about 50/50 highway and rural (back roads 40mph).
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Does anybody know if they are getting rid of winter blend for the season? My last tank only yielded 23ish. I should start letting it get down to 1/4 before I fill, I've only been letting it get down to half, well 9 gallons left.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Proabaly around May it will be full strength.

08 Accord 4 door LXP. L4\177hp Took a trip up to Mass from NJ, two people 65/75mph full hwy. (always cruise control) and some good traffic back ups 26mpg, on the way back three people no traffic back ups 27.6mpg.
    In my books thats horrible don't mean to beat the dead horse but I can't help from thinking about my 04 Malibu 4 door V6\200hp, 37mpg on the same type of run.
    However that's what's good about leasing in 2 years the Accord is gone.
    I agree that the new Accord is quite the porker, but I've never driven one so I can't say whether the lower mileage would outweigh the good parts.

I'm just wanting "full strength" gasoline back because I'm a fairly spirited driver and the winter gas gets crappy mileage by comparison. All things being equal of course.

I can pull down 27 during the summer with a 60/40 city/hwy even when I'm being spirited. In the winter I'm lucky to get 23.

2003 Accord LX Coupe I4 Auto- 60802 miles.

This car still gets better mileage than my 95 Accord EX did. Slightly more powerful, but oddly enough it's about 100 lbs lighter. Explain that one. :)
    Hey all-

Just filled up again. 24 and change. Gettin better. All time average, since Mar 08 is just above 25. I'd say I'm doing pretty well on target with EPA combined rating.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    400 miles Interstate balance good secondary roads avg 35-55 mph. Never revved over 3,000 RPM, top speed of 75 MPH. Started in Worcester, MA to RT 3 to RT 93. Left interstate to lunch @ Lake Winnipesaukee, then over to RT 16 thru North Conway to Gorham, NH. Crossed over to Maine and back @ sunset Friday evening to look for Moose(did see a couple). Left Gorham Saturday morning to Lydonville,VT via RT 2. Lyndonville,VT to Leicester,MA on Sunday via RT 91 & Mass Pike. 513.4 miles, 16.76 gal = 30.63 MPG. Hot weather during southern legs of this trip so had to use AC. Northern parts ran mostly with no AC. Quite hilly and terrain took me from near sea level to over 2,000 ft elev.
    Nice to know that 500 mile+ between fill-ups is easily attainable. VCM was ever present and I don't mean by ECO light activity but small albeit noticeable drive train surges. I'd have to say on this trip with this type of fuel economy in a car as large as the 08 Accord is, the slight presence of VCM returned great dividends.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Under comparable conditions I've gotten 28-29 mpg with my '02 V6 automatic. So it does sound as though the VCM did pay off a bit. But the folks out there with Gen8 (2003-07) Accords seem to do quite well (i.e., better than my car despite the fact that Gen8 has 40 more hp than my Gen7) without VCM. I'm wondering if the Gen8 is just the "sweet spot" somehow.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    My 06 EXL V6 returned good mpg's too, but I didn't consider it spectacular for it's size. The fact my 08 V6 with VCM can do slightly better is a testament to it's engineering because it's grown in size and weight. Drive the current and previous generations back-to-back, and you'll note how big and cushy the current gen has grown. It's larger, more comfortable, and yet still drives like a Honda Accord. The interior size and comfort is comparable to an 00 Acura RL I once had, although with a tighter, more controlled ride. I love it! :shades:
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    28-29 is about max for the 02 V6,I've got one. The 03-7's have a much reworked engine and a 5th gear. I'm turning 2000 rpms @ 60. Replace your oem plugs at 7 years with the ngk oem spec. platinum plugs and you are good for another 7 years. Also,check your motor mounts. I just had 2 replaced at 97k.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    28-29 is about max for the 02 V6,I've got one. The 03-7's have a much reworked engine and a 5th gear. I'm turning 2000 rpms at 60mph.

That's the same RPM that the 2003-2007 4-cylinder runs at that speed. The 5-speed allows engines to run at about 300 RPM lower than in the 4-speed. Makes a notable difference!
  • thommy135thommy135 Member Posts: 4
    I was told inventory at dealerships were high and some incredible deals were going to happen in the next couple of months? Does anyone has the scoop?
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    You might have better luck getting your question answered here http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef006d2?displayRecent
  • hondaowner10hondaowner10 Member Posts: 21
    My last three fill-ups averaged over 31mpg. That's driving about 50/50 highway and rural with a little around town errands (maybe 20 miles per week). Avg speed on the highway is 70-75 and the rural driving is an average of 40 mph.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Weather is getting warmer and mpg is going up. My 10 tank rolling average is now around 37 mpg (up from a low of just over 30 mpg this winter). My last tank was 467.2 miles on 10.89 gallons (would have waited longer but found a really cheap gas station). This is 42.9 mpg - scangauge II indicated 42.5 mpg.

2007 I4 MT , 40 psi, 0w-20 Mobil One, 60,000 miles on odo.

BTW I just noticed that the new 2010 Camry has a 6 speed MT available and now gets 2 mpg better highway mpg than the Accord (they used to be rated the same). Very impressive. How about a 6 speed Honda so those of us with an I4 can get some real low revs on the highway and get really impressive mpg.
    How about a 6 speed Honda so those of us with an I4 can get some real low revs on the highway and get really impressive mpg.

Let's hope they can push it into the next generation. Especially since not even 2 years ago I thought they should make 5 speeds standard because I was used to 4 speed autos. Then 5 speeds became standard. It's only a matter of time. My next Accord will probably be late gen IX or gen X. Hopefully by then I'll have a better grip on a manual so I can get a 6 speed, unless they put them in automatics.
  • cliffclavencliffclaven Member Posts: 23
    Hello,
    We have 08 v6 EXL w/ nav (purchased April 08) and are only getting 20-21 based on the computer in the dash. We live in Boise, Id and drive city/highway but typically only 10 miles in one direction on the HWY. We use 87 octaine gas.
    Has anyone else had this poor of MPG? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look into adjusting anything? The car has 9,475 miles on it... will the mileage get better over time?
    Thanks for any insights.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Only a pure hwy trip of substantial miles will determine if your fuel economy is sub par. Based on the miles mentioned in your post your only 1-2 mpg's off from the 22 mpg's mixed driving should return based on EPA estimates, which in my experience are very accurate.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Got the 08 Accord LXP 4cyl 177hp, back from Conn. to NJ straight run no stopping ( which is rare) two people in the car and my son's stuff from the dorms. For the first time I got 29 mpg I dont really se it getting any better than that, it has 11,000 miles on it. Also the mileage is just okay in those cars
    How long was the trip, how fast were you going, was there a wind, was it raining? Did you spend any time at all in traffic, do you give the car lots of gas when you pass somebody, were there any stoplights, do you stop abruptly or coast to a stop, were there any hills, were there any tolls, did you use gas with some ethanol, was the a/c on, were the windows down, was anything on the roof, what is your tire pressure, do you use synthetic oil, what weight of oil do you use?

All of these are factors have an effect on mpg, add them up and the effect is huge. To me a straight run means I don't stop even once. Just a few stops or hills make a difference. I can be 200 miles into a trip and a long steep uphill can drop my trip mpg by 1 or more.

One of the first questions I ask people who get poor mpg is how long do your brakes usually last? Quick wear means less mpg friendly driving. For example I changed the front pads on my Integra for the first time at 185,000 miles. My Accord has 61,000 miles in two years and I can hardly tell the pads are worn at all. Anticipate stops far in advance and just glide in.

For anybody who wants better mpg a scangauge will tell you exactly what the problem is. Another option is the new Garmins that are coming out next month. They have something called ecoroute that calculates the best route for mpg and if you plug in the EPA city and highway numbers it will take a guess at your mpg based on speed, stops etc. It will also grade your driving based on how smoothly you stop and start etc. I highly recommend this. If you have a current nuvi 2x5 or 7x5 it can be upgraded to the new software.

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/ecoroute/

http://scangauge.com/

BTW - I forgot to add my latest lifetime mpg on my last post. Now at 33.80 mpg
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"All of these are factors have an effect on mpg, add them up and the effect is huge. "

I agree 100% ! :)

Every item in your first paragraph are "Right On". I believe the brakes are the # 1 enemy of MPG in local driving. The more they are used, and the harder they are used, the worse the mileage. Of course, the throttle and how it is used are also great contributors to poor mileage.

On the road the throttle and speed are # 1.

We don't own an Accord, yet. But we do own an 03 CR-V. It is heavier and pushes a lot more air than the more aerodynamic Accord. Engine is the same tried and proven 2.4, and the tranny is a 4 speed auto. I would expect that the 5 speed auto would get a bit better mileage. With me driving locally, 25 mpg is fairly normal. On the road, 30-31 mpg is fairly routine. My wife gets 3-4 mpg less, across the board.

The CR-V is her car. At 40K +miles, the front brakes and all 4 tires needed replacing. She is not a "Hard" or fast driver, but she tends to stop rather than coast to traffic lights and stop signs. From a stop, the tranny shifts at closer to 3000 rpm,for each gear, and she rides a bit close to the cars in front of her, requiring little braking on her part, but more on and off the throttle.

She likes to go a bit faster, on the road, than I do. So mpg is less.

Also agree about the "Scan Gauge". Wonderful tool. :)

Kip
    Yesterday I filled up at $2.26 :(, but my calculation showed 26.3 or something above 26, not sure of the exact number, and I wasn't exactly kind 100% of the time. There was some fast acceleration and speeding, but this is how I've been all year so I think it's good. I take this to mean that summer blend has hit our region, upper midwest, again and we'll all start to see an improvement soon. :) My rolling average, since March 2, 2008 is currently 25.289. I've gone 14828 miles on 586.335 gallons. If anything the combined rating, for me is spot on accurate. It does do a good job of evening out the differences that are inevitable from tank to tank. Overall, with my combined average, over the course of a year and a couple of months, being as close to sticker as it is, I'm happy.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    In the most recent 900 miles, my trip computer says we've averaged 26.7 mpg.

This is on our 2008 EXL navi 4 cylinder 5 mt.

About 70% city and 30% hwy.

Not bad, imho.

Course, it's spring, and so we're not using the ac much. In summer I assume it will go down a couple of mpg.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • dc10pltdc10plt Member Posts: 10
    Very pleased with my mileage. Currently averaging 24.632 on my first 5 fillups of the new car. My last fillup just registered 27mpg. Most of my driving is a 50/50 split. I'm more than happy with the power this car has and getting this kinda of mileage. I'm higher than the combined EPA which is great! I'm pretty confident I can get above 30mpg on a pure hwy trip. Most of my driving is in the ECO mode which helps. I'm getting more used to VCM and who knows how much of a difference it makes, but the mileage is going great for a new car. I expect it to get marginally better as it breaks in.
    25 mpg on my 02 V6 Accord. 90/10 highway. Add 2.5 mpg for the ethanol and 1.5 for the Goodyear Comfort treads I'm running and that's about max for my model year. 98k miles and runs like new.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....calc'd my May 2009 fuel numbers just for grins: 1060.8 miles, 37.193 gallons. 4/24 - 5/24. About 70/30 Hwy/City around our state capital. Works out to 28.5 MPG

I try to get into those top two overdrive gears ('05 6M coupe) with all possible haste. And y'all can see the resultant...................

all the best on this Memorial Day weekend, ez.......(USNR)
    Got 2 fewer gears,an auto,and the less efficient 02 engine. I'm turning 2000 rpms at 60;what are you turning in 6th? Stay safe.
    ...........is about (per CD): circa 57; go with Road and Track, then right at 60. I tach between 65 - 66 at 2200. CU later (alligator).

best, ez......... :)
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    '08 Accord Sedan I4 EX-L from Roanoke Rapids, NC to Greenville, SC and back to Concord, NC approx. 90/10 highway: 30.7 MPG!!
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    """ Add 2.5 mpg for the ethanol and 1.5 for the Goodyear"""

Do you mean subtract 2.5 for the ethanol - ? It is my understanding that Ethanol is 30% less efficient than traditional gasoline.
    One more tank and this one was a record for distance. 647.7 miles.

This was over 8 days including all my running around town for that time, and included two trips. One of about 125 miles round trip and the other about 430 miles. The second leg of the 430 mile trip was from Bismarck to central SD and I averaged 47.0 for the entire 220 mile day (a few miles of city as well). My average speed on the trips was about 60 mph (mostly two lane rural roads) and I did not use AC. Temp was about 68 to 74.

Overall. 647.7 miles 15.60 gallons = 41.5 mpg The fuel light came on at 608 miles. I also think I overfilled a little as the scangauge indicated 42.4 for the tank and I put in 1.2 gallons after the pump clicked the first time on the slowest fill setting.

Lifetime is gong to crack 34 for the first time real soon. It is 33.96 right now.
    10 tank rolling average is at 36.9 mpg

2007 I4 SE MT 40 psi and Mobil 1 0w-20, 62,000 miles.
    E85 is; E10 (which most of us are using now) isn't so drastic.
    You - Senor - are as good with a 4-cyl as YT with the J30-A4 (perhaps better).

Seriously, great job: 47 mpg is advanced technology territory these days. Few can (or deign to) accomplish 45+ MPG.

In summation (after recently Road Testing a 2008 Infiniti G37 6M coupe "on sale" for six grand off MSRP):

Leaving the dealership with 'Let me alone to think about this test drive" - - - - I headed south - two lane, deserted country road - straight as a arrow. The J30-A4 rarely dissapoints. This time was no exception. Add the 40 MPG potential: The AV6 6M remains for now.

Hang in there..........best, ez....
    Ironic, but in SD where we produce much of the ethanol and have E10 mandated for midgrade 89 octane (and one of the highest percentages of stations with E85), we have no ethanol in our 87 octane regular gas even in winter. A side effect is that the midgrade is always cheaper than the regular. I buy the regular without ethanol for the better mpg.
    We sure make the most of the MT - still wish I had 6MT though.

That new Camry I4 with a 6MT throws a little salt in the wound.
    ......Camry I-4 6M def appeals to my fuel economy genes. I'm willing to bet a couple of belts of Crown Royal that the car is only available with an automatic transmission in California. Looks like my Accord 6M coupe has REALLY found a home!!

all the best, ez....
    Actually,I was adding it to my mileage to make it comparable to those who don't run ethanol. I run ethanol in my car.
    Thought I'd update...My year long-term average, since March 08, is still hovering above 25mpg. My yearly average since January is just above 22 and my seasonal average, since the beginning of April, is around 24. I'm thinking I took a minor hit when I bought tires, but can't be sure because my commuting distance also changed recently. The nice part about that, though, is that if I leave at the right time I can time it so I squeeze through most of the lights on the way to work. There are about 15 lights and I usually only have to stop for 3 of them.

My last tank was 25.3. Overall still very impressed considering the size of the vehicle and the way that I drive.

62,9xx miles and counting.
    For almost a 18 months, I've been tooling around trying to average 25 mpg - no long trips, just neighborhood driving. My hope for trip mileage in this car was 28 mpg. However our mpg was: one 28 mpg tank and two 31.5 tanks and two 39 mpg tanks. Hot, humid weather required the AC on 100% of the time. Car was overloaded with correct tire pressure.

The EXL 4 drive was smooth - drove like an upsale touring model. And for those that haven't noticed the benefits of Grade Logic - drive the Smokey Mtn's - it's a fantastic feature.
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    This is the second time I have recorded this level in 18 months of ownership. Details: 2007 EX-L, 4cyl, auto, 40K total miles, original tires at 2psi over recommended, Mobil 1 synthetic oil, AMSOIL microfiber air filter.

All highway/4 passengers/trunk full of luggage - 100 miles at 60-65 mph rolling hills...340 miles of interstate at 80 mph all with AC on. 440 miles/11.2 gal (regular)

I typically get 28-29 on my daily 30 mile DC commute. :shades:
  • cpboy99cpboy99 Member Posts: 8
    I just filled up the first half tank of gas on my new 09 Coupe, I4. The mpg calculated out to be 25.6mpg. The 285 miles were the first 285 miles on the car and about 60% hwy and 40% city.

I'm not quite impressed with the mpg; I am used to crushing the EPA estimates. Even with my V6 Double Cab Tacoma I was getting 22ish mpg. My driving habits are fairly light on the pedal, but maybe I was a little eager to test out my car on the first few miles.

So my question is, have people noticed an increase in mpg once the engine is "broken in" per se?

Thanks!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    So my question is, have people noticed an increase in mpg once the engine is "broken in" per se?

I didn't notice any change on my 06 EX-L I4 but many people have posted that they get better mileage as the engine gets broken in. Besides that, you really can't judge a half tank of gas, especially the first one. Did you fill it or did the dealer? They aren't always as accurate as you might be.

Keep us updated.
    Thanks Tallman1. The dealer filled the tank. Will post again after about 4-5 tanks.
    As "thegraduate" told me 18 months ago my 08' EXL I4 would break-in over some 12,000 miles and the mileage would improve. So, 15,000 miles later I have to say that "thegraduate" was right! Mostly city/country here - not many hwy miles, on a recent trip to TN: 28 mpg on one tank, two tanks at 35 mpg and two at 39 mpg. Brand spanking new my first tank was 17 mpg but of course the dealer filled the tank, lol.

Give it time and you'll be busting charts. :) and as always thanks to "thegraduate".
    That is the best news I've heard all day! Woohoo :)
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Yeah, as I said, most folks seem to get better mileage as time goes on. Mine has been stellar from the start. I've only had a handful of tanks that were below 30 (only two were below 29) and my lowest ever was 28.0. Highest ever was 41.7. Not bad after 72k miles. :shades:

06 EX-L w/Navi I4 manual
    Congrats! That's great for such a big car with 190hp.

And, what can I say, I like being told I'm right once in awhile. :)

Enjoy the car!

-thegrad
  • americaneagleamericaneagle Member Posts: 1
    Using my Iphone Road Trip app, I am averaging 24 mpg in mostly city driving after my first 5000 miles.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Just averaged 20.5 mpg, with mostly short trips/city driving... My car currently has around 1600 miles on the odometer